PDA

View Full Version : Columbus

WOS1
11-20-2011, 10:39 AM
I usually refrain from getting involved in conversations like this and most of the time I roll my eyes about people whinning about dirty play. This is an exception. I've seen many, many football games and Columbus was THE dirtiest team that I have ever witnessed. A little pushing and shoving here and there and some jawing back and forth is just a part of the game, but what I saw Friday was just ridiculous. Punching after nearly every play, swinging kids around by the facemask after several plays and reaching into a kids mouth and trying to rip his jaw off is just out of control. They couldn't even shake hands after the game because our coach was afraid a fight would break out.

I had heard tales in the past about Giddings playing this way. We have played them several times now and I have never seen any of that, so I'm not one who thinks every little push or extra curricular is dirty. Columbus was straight up out of control and it appeared the coach condoned it.

I don't know much about them, is this something new with this team or has anyone else ever noticed this about Columbus? Are they known for playing dirty?

YTBulldogs
11-20-2011, 10:46 AM
I usually refrain from getting involved in conversations like this and most of the time I roll my eyes about people whinning about dirty play. This is an exception. I've seen many, many football games and Columbus was THE dirtiest team that I have ever witnessed. A little pushing and shoving here and there and some jawing back and forth is just a part of the game, but what I saw Friday was just ridiculous. Punching after nearly every play, swinging kids around by the facemask after several plays and reaching into a kids mouth and trying to rip his jaw off is just out of control. They couldn't even shake hands after the game because our coach was afraid a fight would break out.

I had heard tales in the past about Giddings playing this way. We have played them several times now and I have never seen any of that, so I'm not one who thinks every little push or extra curricular is dirty. Columbus was straight up out of control and it appeared the coach condoned it.

I don't know much about them, is this something new with this team or has anyone else ever noticed this about Columbus? Are they known for playing dirty?

To me, their coach has no control over the kids based on the times we have played them past few years. No control from the man, often leads to BS like this WOS IMO.

WOS1
11-20-2011, 10:51 AM
That's exactly how it appeared to us as well.

the genious
11-20-2011, 11:25 AM
I told y'all!!! Zero discipline!!!

Sportshack
11-20-2011, 05:16 PM
In addition, all the dirty play, intimidation type crap generally only works against a physically inferior team that probably did not have much of a chance anyway. It does not usually work against a good, solid team and often has the opposite of the desire effect and really motivates the receiver of such nonsense. Good hard hits while rallying to the ball or in blocking etc is another story.

No comment on Columbus as I have never seen them play.

WOS1
11-20-2011, 08:12 PM
One of our coaches and I were talking about that very thing yesterday. All it did was fire our kids up. After the incident where the Columbus player ripped our kids helmet off and tore his mouth up (this was right after we had intercepted a pass). We lined up and rammed it right down their throat for about 10 yds a piece and on the third play Lindsey broke for a 60yd TD right up the gut...

Watcher
11-20-2011, 09:38 PM
WOS1 you are as full of yourself as your post is full of crap. From the start of the game West Orange was consistantly blocking in the back as well as the BS chop blocks. WOS definitely has some speed which was too much for Columbus, but you won't get by another week with those cheap shots from the other side of the field. Try to win a game with class. No doubt you have good athletes, but stirring it up at the beginning and playing innocent at the end won't get you into December. YTbulldog has had one good year and and forgets his teams past stunts.

rancher
11-20-2011, 09:49 PM
I can tell you this fact on what I observed in the Bellville and Columbus game this year. Several times Bellville drives were continued because of personal fouls and unsportsman conduct against Columbus. When this happens in game after game there are problems in the program.

Old Dog
11-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Heard that Columbus has problems and the coach's contract would not be extended past this year. I heard that several months ago and was really surprised to hear they made the playoffs............

Manso/V8
11-20-2011, 11:09 PM
I would say that some of the Columbus kids got a little "chippy" during the Bellville game, pushing players after the whistle, etc, nothing too bad, and they were flagged and it hurt their team.....we were playing really well at the time and controlling the game. I have seen one of the Columbus kids who got flagged play for several years in various sports and he never showed any inclination for that type of behavior before, and the same can be said for the rest of the Columbus players. I chalked it up to the Columbus players just being frustrated during our game.

SHSBulldog00
11-21-2011, 12:59 AM
We played them before under a different head coach and didn't have that problem.

WOS1
11-21-2011, 07:41 AM
WOS1 you are as full of yourself as your post is full of crap. From the start of the game West Orange was consistantly blocking in the back as well as the BS chop blocks. WOS definitely has some speed which was too much for Columbus, but you won't get by another week with those cheap shots from the other side of the field. Try to win a game with class. No doubt you have good athletes, but stirring it up at the beginning and playing innocent at the end won't get you into December. YTbulldog has had one good year and and forgets his teams past stunts.

Full of myself? That was THE WORST display of sportsmanship or control I've ever seen in my many years as a fan, player or coach. If you are a part of that community I say you need to get someone in that program that will clean it up. Don't lash out at me because you guys have no control over how your kids act on the field.

As far as your comment about what it takes to make December, if you are from Columbus, what do you know about it?

Do you even know the difference between a chop block and a cut block?

MJMbrahmas10
11-21-2011, 08:10 AM
Heard rumors ol Huey will be coachin this team next year

teetle
11-21-2011, 10:06 AM
Theys calls thems the Dirty Birds. Theys likes to grabs in the privates too. Grabed Seals-Jones too. Thats te way they bes. Coach hasses no Dicipline. I coulds bes wrong. Thats the ways thats I sees it.:ack!::eek::ack!:

YTBulldogs
11-21-2011, 10:29 AM
YTbulldog has had one good year and and forgets his teams past stunts.

Going 6-4 and not making the playoff's isn't considered a good year I assure you. Prior year was even worse at 2-8. But, we did beat you and your team dirty play past 2 years. Hope we drop you this next alignment?

wimbo_pro
11-21-2011, 10:34 AM

No dog in this fight, but can say that the one time we did play WOS, they played clean, minus the jawing going both ways. I cant imagine Hooks allowing it with all his years of not allowing it.

WOS1
11-21-2011, 10:59 AM
Well, Hooks is not the man anymore (retired after last year), but, Cornel Thompson has been the disciplinarian around there anyway for a long time and he has the reigns now.

I really hate to bash anyone, but the way those kids acted was inexcusable. I've seen us play Wimberley, Gilmer, Giddings, Coldspring, LaVega and several others. Never have seen anything like I did the other night.

YTBulldogs
11-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Well, Hooks is not the man anymore (retired after last year), but, Cornel Thompson has been the disciplinarian around there anyway for a long time and he has the reigns now.

I really hate to bash anyone, but the way those kids acted was inexcusable. I've seen us pay Wimberley, Gilmer, Giddings, Coldspring, LaVega and several others. Never have seen anything like I did the other night.

Hope ya came out healthy WOS?

wimbo_pro
11-21-2011, 11:03 AM

I really hate to bash anyone, but the way those kids acted was inexcusable. I've seen us play Wimberley, Gilmer, Giddings, Coldspring, LaVega and several others. Never have seen anything like I did the other night.

Wow...that tells you how up-to-date I am on SE Tex Football!!

WOS1
11-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Nothing that a week can't heal. The kid who got his helmet torn off and had his mouth ripped open had to have stitches from what I'm told, however.

WOS1
11-21-2011, 11:06 AM
Wow...that tells you how up-to-date I am on SE Tex Football!!

You're not to far behind Wimbo, LOL. All this just went down last january.

WC/LG92
11-21-2011, 11:10 AM
<--- Sits in lawnchair, eating popcorn...waiting for more replies to this thread...awesome posts gentlemen.

SHSBulldog00
11-21-2011, 11:14 AM
I wonder what this team would have looked like if Bludau was still the coach and his son Kyle was the QB instead of them @ Schulenburg?

YTBulldogs
11-21-2011, 11:15 AM
How long has the current HC been there?

buff4ever
11-21-2011, 11:21 AM
To the poster that stated he/she had watched these columbus kids before, and that they didn't act like this. That doesn't mean that they arent acting poorly right now, it prolly just verifys that the problem is in the supervisor. It always starts at the top. Trust me on that one. The top can come in and change the attitude in a heart beat. Good thing for Columbus, is that if a new top is in the future, and chosen properly, it can change back just as fast.

hookandladder
11-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Theys calls thems the Dirty Birds. Theys likes to grabs in the privates too. Grabed Seals-Jones too. Thats te way they bes. Coach hasses no Dicipline. I coulds bes wrong. Thats the ways thats I sees it.:ack!::eek::ack!:

That is kinda funny about them grabbing the private parts, Smithville was doing the same thing against us this year. What the hell is up with them doing that crap, that is total BS.

WOS1
11-21-2011, 11:50 AM
theys calls thems the dirty birds. Theys likes to grabs in the privates too. Grabed seals-jones too. Thats te way they bes. Coach hasses no dicipline. I coulds bes wrong. Thats the ways thats i sees it.:ack!::eek::ack!:

lmao!!!

blackbroth
11-21-2011, 12:07 PM
About three years ago La Grange was trying to kneel the ball and end the game against Columbus. One of their kids took a running start and hit our center while he was looking at our qb. We were not even going to snap the ball. What made it worse was the very next play a different kid did the same thing to our center. The refs called the game after that. It was by far the most classless act I have ever seen on the football field.

Txbroadcaster
11-21-2011, 12:11 PM
<--- Sits in lawnchair, eating popcorn...waiting for more replies to this thread...awesome posts gentlemen.

grabs some of your popcorn as I pull a chair up as well

FbCoachB40
11-21-2011, 12:28 PM
About three years ago La Grange was trying to kneel the ball and end the game against Columbus. One of their kids took a running start and hit our center while he was looking at our qb. We were not even going to snap the ball. What made it worse was the very next play a different kid did the same thing to our center. The refs called the game after that. It was by far the most classless act I have ever seen on the football field.

I was waiting for someone to bring up this incident. I saw it on film. One kid gets ejected, and then the next play the other kid DOES THE SAME THING!! That was in '09.

StangEm
11-21-2011, 02:07 PM
Heard rumors ol Huey will be coachin this team next year

I heard Kirk is looking into it too

WOS1
11-21-2011, 03:04 PM
I can tell by the responses and the few sitting around eating popcorn and waiting for them to roll in, that this is not the first time this team has done this type of thing. I kinda figured that just by how they acted. I knew folks around here would know the truth.

YTBulldogs
11-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Columbus had a talented team IMO.

Just sad situation.

Booter11
11-21-2011, 04:09 PM

I was playing FS for Columbus when the La Grange incident happened. I can't even explain how embarrassed I felt walking off of that field after the game for what two of our players had done. I had played in games where fans talk trash to us at half time and after the game because we had won or it was a rivalry but I had never been booed off of the field for bad sportsmanship and I can honestly say it was the worst feeling I have ever felt while playing football. To hear of more bad sportsmanship coming from Columbus is very disappointing to hear. I was not at the WOS game this past Friday but I am very sad to hear that the football program has fallen this far when it comes to discipline.

YTBulldogs
11-21-2011, 04:11 PM
I was playing FS for Columbus when the La Grange incident happened. I can't even explain how embarrassed I felt walking off of that field after the game for what two of our players had done. I had played in games where fans talk trash to us at half time and after the game because we had won or it was a rivalry but I had never been booed off of the field for bad sportsmanship and I can honestly say it was the worst feeling I have ever felt while playing football. To hear of more bad sportsmanship coming from Columbus is very disappointing to hear. I was not at the WOS game this past Friday but I am very sad to hear that the football program has fallen this far when it comes to discipline.

Boy, that about say's it all. So sorry Booter.:(

the genious
11-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Columbus had a talented team IMO.

Just sad situation.

They did I've been sayin this all year! They had zero discipline and did not play as a team and that was their down fall, but they were more talented than last years team but didn't care

pirate4state
11-21-2011, 05:24 PM

I'm curious. Was this game in '09 the last game of the season or something? If not, did you or anyone in the locker room address the situation? I know that ultimately it falls/reverts to the HC to address/fix discpline issues, but I also know that in some locker rooms it is taken care of within.

Accountability is a dying trait. Sad times.

Booter11
11-21-2011, 05:51 PM
I'm curious. Was this game in '09 the last game of the season or something? If not, did you or anyone in the locker room address the situation? I know that ultimately it falls/reverts to the HC to address/fix discpline issues, but I also know that in some locker rooms it is taken care of within.

Accountability is a dying trait. Sad times.

The two players were suspended for the last game of the season. We no longer had a chance to make the playoffs, but if we had I have no doubt that the players would have been allowed to play. It was just a bad situation. The problem I always noticed was that many of the coaches wanted to be more of a friend to the players. Many of them never learned discipline or how to control their emotions and it really showed against La Grange in '09.

YTBulldogs
11-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Booter, was the current HC hired from within when he got the job, or was he a HC somewhere else?

wimbo_pro
11-21-2011, 07:49 PM

Takes a lot of guts to come forward and say that about your alma mater, Booter. Thanks for the input.

WOS1
11-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Takes a lot of guts to come forward and say that about your alma mater, Booter. Thanks for the input.

I agree wimbo... Thanks for the input, Booter.

Booter11
11-21-2011, 10:08 PM
Booter, was the current HC hired from within when he got the job, or was he a HC somewhere else?

He was hired from another school. Im not sure if he was a head coach there or not. I cant remember for sure

hookandladder
11-22-2011, 06:50 AM

Pretty sure they were brothers that did that, classless for sure coming from the coaches to allow that to happen.

hookandladder
11-22-2011, 07:02 AM
The two players were suspended for the last game of the season. We no longer had a chance to make the playoffs, but if we had I have no doubt that the players would have been allowed to play. It was just a bad situation. The problem I always noticed was that many of the coaches wanted to be more of a friend to the players. Many of them never learned discipline or how to control their emotions and it really showed against La Grange in '09.

I am pretty sure this was in 2008, we went to the playoffs in 2009. We had thought by beating Columbus we were in the playoffs however Sealy ended up getting beat by Bellville that night so we did not make the playoffs. It was a great game with Columbus that night, it just ended very bad. Our center was very fortunate that he did not have some type of injury to his neck on both of those hits, very scary. My son is a Junior and we have been playing Columbus since JH and that junior class has some very undisciplined kids, there is one kid in that class that was totally out of control starting his 7th grade year. Columbus needs some help in the discipline department.

Bone Pile
11-22-2011, 09:21 AM

Booter, You know those two physcos(brothers) were good players but really bad for Columbus. They did crap all year and it should have been taken care of after practice one day. As a player parent I was really embarrassed and very pissed. Just too bad that problem was not taken care of the way they understood. Maybe they would both be around today if they would have been put on the right path way back when.

wimbo_pro
11-22-2011, 09:31 AM
Maybe they would both be around today if they would have been put on the right path way back when.

Please explain!!!

Bone Pile
11-22-2011, 09:36 AM
Please explain!!!

Sorry. Not my place.

wimbo_pro
11-22-2011, 09:41 AM
Sorry. Not my place.

Well...either they are in prison or dead...someone will set this straight, I hope.

buff4ever
11-22-2011, 09:46 AM
Well...either they are in prison or dead...someone will set this straight, I hope.

Exactly, one of these situations would hopefully make everyone ease up a little, and the other well they needed some help and didn't get it, now they are paying for some bad choices.

the genious
11-22-2011, 11:56 AM

Leave it alone!

FrmSTx
11-22-2011, 02:55 PM

yup, i agree

WOS92
11-23-2011, 07:42 PM
The worst thing about Columbus's conduct toward WO-S was not the cheap shots so much as the outright CELEBRATING when one of our kids was hurt and kicking on the ground (probably from the ripped mouth). I'm talking about fist pumping and high fiving after a play in which you TURNED THE BALL OVER! Then, after one of their players gets ejected for repeatedly punching our freshman QB (who was on the ground), the coach HIGH FIVED HIM!

YTBulldogs
11-23-2011, 07:45 PM
Then, after one of their players gets ejected for repeatedly punching our freshman QB (who was on the ground), the coach HIGH FIVED HIM!

r u serious?