PDA

View Full Version : Why traditionally strong programs stay strong.....

BEAST
11-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Last night was our 40th game in 3 seasons. That equals a whole extra season worth of games and experience. This is the 3rd year we will have played at least 13 games. Celina, Carthage, Wimberley and several others have done it as well. But nothing is more valuable than the extra games you get with deep playoff runs.

BEAST

GrTigers6
11-19-2011, 03:38 PM
[QUOTE=BEAST;1639352]Last night was our 40th game in 3 seasons. That equals a whole extra season worth of games and experience. This is the 3rd year we will have played at least 13 games. Celina, Carthage, Wimberley and several others have done it as well. But nothing is more valuable than the extra games you get with deep playoff runs.

Very true playoff experience is twice as good as just a regular season game. You play means a lot more when it's do or die.

bobcat1
11-19-2011, 03:41 PM
I agree with both posts above me plus the extra confidence tradition brings.

BEAST
11-19-2011, 11:20 PM
You can't simulate it in practice and you can't coach it. It's a treasure.

BEAST

Manso/V8
11-19-2011, 11:29 PM
Playoff games are valuable lessons.
Success breeds success.
Community and school administration support, quality coaches, and commitment from the players to work hard and stick with it from jr high through the senior year to keep up the tradition make for a strong program.

SHSBulldog00
11-19-2011, 11:32 PM
You don't want to be remembered as the class/team that didn't make the playoffs.

Txbroadcaster
11-20-2011, 02:19 AM
The extra games help as long as you get 2-3 games where young talent is on the field..especially because most teams down big keep their 1st team in longer.

RPF2666
11-20-2011, 08:17 AM
Don't underestimate the fact that you get weeks of extra practice time for the younger players, AND they aren't preparing for a meaningless district game, they are learning what it takes to get ready for GOOD teams...

95mustang
11-20-2011, 11:25 AM
The extra games help as long as you get 2-3 games where young talent is on the field..especially because most teams down big keep their 1st team in longer.

Oh we have young talent on the field. We have had a freshman and several other underclassmen starting on the o-line most of the season.

YTBulldogs
11-20-2011, 11:45 AM
Oh we have young talent on the field. We have had a freshman and several other underclassmen starting on the o-line most of the season.

Yeah, you can't replace playoff experience. I'm getting better at finding good eating places, stadium seating by watching you regulars each year in the playoffs. :(

regaleagle
11-20-2011, 11:48 AM
And do not overlook the fact that your team is matching up against stiffer competition than its "normal" scheduling. Also, in the playoffs, most coaches incorporate changes and adjustments that teach the players additional strategies, imparting a better full understanding of defensive and offensive sets for a better overall perspective of the game. This kind of information is invaluable for the younger players.

Rabid Cougar
11-20-2011, 05:29 PM
There are always highs and lows for every program. Some are just longer than others because it is not genetics or the drinking water....

GrTigers6
11-20-2011, 05:58 PM
There are always highs and lows for every program. Some are just longer than others because it is not genetics or the drinking water....Great programs attract great players. For example Celina. Brownwood, Gilmer etc.

YTBulldogs
11-20-2011, 06:06 PM
At these elite programs, it's expected as a child, to grow up and win at high school. We are trying to get the ball rolling. Not easy to do. You got to have the "community" on board too.

Tin Cup
11-20-2011, 06:08 PM
I was doing part of my PGA education a few years ago and I had an instructor tell this story:

He was a legendary high school basketball coach who had won over 10 state titles in Indiana. When a boy was born in his town, he was at the hospital with a bouquet of flowers for the mom and a basketball for the infant. He gave the Dad a book called "How to make an athlete." in this book it told the parent to drop a balloon at the baby while in it's crib. After a few weeks, the baby would already have learned how to catch. I thought this was incredible!!! It's not always about have the right athletes. It's about having the right people around the right kinds of athletes that breeds tradition.

Leopard4Life
11-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Great programs attract great players. For example Celina. Brownwood, Gilmer etc.

Waiting a year to start Kindergarten or repeating 8th grade doesn't hurt either...

BEAST
11-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Waiting a year to start Kindergarten or repeating 8th grade doesn't hurt either...

There you have it, that is for sure how its done. That is how we all do it, we use 20 year old seniors.:doh:

BEAST

Txbroadcaster
11-21-2011, 10:14 AM
There you have it, that is for sure how its done. That is how we all do it, we use 20 year old seniors.:doh:

BEAST

lol I think he means holding back the kids that start school a year behind age wise

RPF2666
11-21-2011, 10:32 AM

I hope that's not a shot at Celina and our freshman QB, who just turned 15 and shredded his 4A school last week! :eek:

Eagle 1
11-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Last night was our 40th game in 3 seasons. That equals a whole extra season worth of games and experience. This is the 3rd year we will have played at least 13 games. Celina, Carthage, Wimberley and several others have done it as well. But nothing is more valuable than the extra games you get with deep playoff runs.
BEAST

Very true. We have a couple of Srs that played 54 games.

BwdLion73
11-21-2011, 11:35 AM
I hope that's not a shot at Celina and our freshman QB, who just turned 15 and shredded his 4A school last week! :eek:
:thumbsup:

Txbroadcaster
11-21-2011, 11:57 AM
funny all the talk about games played...Aledo coach in an interview said the UIL needs to cut down amount of games played in a year

YTBulldogs
11-21-2011, 12:01 PM
funny all the talk about games played...Aledo coach in an interview said the UIL needs to cut down amount of games played in a year

Crazy. Leave a great thing alone I say.

95mustang
11-21-2011, 12:01 PM

No it might have been meant towards our Freshman center.

Txbroadcaster
11-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Crazy. Leave a great thing alone I say.

he makes some valid points..teams like Aledo, LT, Carthage have played betwen 48-64...that takes a toll on HS kids( and some of these teams have kids who have played in almost every game)

YTBulldogs
11-21-2011, 12:19 PM
he makes some valid points..teams like Aledo, LT, Carthage have played betwen 48-64...that takes a toll on HS kids( and some of these teams have kids who have played in almost every game)

well, lose some:)