PDA

View Full Version : 3A schools that should be 4A

Jimbotex40
03-11-2003, 03:11 PM
1.forney has over 900 now.

2.i would put money on it that everman does also (its not too hard to gain 4 students within a school year)

i dont know of any others

Old Dog
03-11-2003, 03:23 PM
Read somewhere that Everman and Burnet both had surpassed the low end of 4A as it exists now. There were several others mentioned, but I cannot recall them!

Jimbotex40
03-11-2003, 03:41 PM
thanks old dog,

i actually couldnt believe it on the first couple days of school, they were adding up enrollment and we (forney) were right around 921. i guess whne they re-do it every two years, they just add it up for the students actually in the HS and not include the incoming 8th graders and exclude the outgoing seniors, is that true?

forney is proly back around 905 though, cuz a lot of losers in my class have dropped out. you know how every class has its "sin" characteristic? my grade's is drugs. last years seniors were big drinkers, and next years class are, i guess, sluts and players to say the least.

i guess out of all three of these druggies are the most likely to drop out.

X21AAAPlayer
03-11-2003, 06:34 PM
What about Elgin? I know that when we played them they were the largest 3a in the state of Texas. Or so we were told.

Jimbotex40
03-11-2003, 06:37 PM
thats correct, i believe that elgin had 899 or 898 or something so close that it makes you wonder if they cheated to stay 3A.
oh well, what can u do

TarponFanInNorthTexas
03-11-2003, 07:28 PM
There are so many schools that fib on their enrollment figures, it's pathetic. It's not just limited to those that want to stay in 3A. A couple of examples: Los Fresnos, currently in 4A, has a student population pushing 2000, yet, they only report 1790 so they can remain in 4A. Refugio, currently in 2A. Have always had such huge football teams, and huge bands, it makes you wonder if they REALLY have 250 like they say...i'd say more like 350 to 400, which is enough to be in 3A.

I've heard about Elgin, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they were fibbing on their enrollment figures also. Why doesn't the UIL just go to each indivicual school and count them themselves instead of trusting unfair, and untruthful school officials?

Jimbotex40
03-11-2003, 08:21 PM
i dont know why they dont do that.

ive also heard that abiliene wylie does this.
it makes sense, cuz theyre the smallest school in a rather big town, and they just dont want to go 4A.

Old Dog
03-11-2003, 08:54 PM
What a difference being on the high side of 3A vs the low side of 4A would make to most schools. From what I have been reading, the UIL really has it's work cut out when realignment rolls around this time. The fringe schools (near or amid larger cities)like Burnet, Elgin, Everman, Forney and countless others are growing like crazy while many west Texas schools are falling off just as fast. The next realignment should really be quite interesting to all of us and could change many of the dynamics of 3A football in Texas.

<small>[ March 11, 2003, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Old Dog ]</small>

Ranger Mom
03-11-2003, 11:23 PM
I don't know how many Greenwood has lost or gained this year. I just know that they are building houses like crazy around here. We aren't in any danger at this point - number wise, but all this new construction and people coming in from Midland, makes me a little nervous for what might lie ahead in the future.

hsguru
03-12-2003, 12:44 AM
Jimbotex40:

it makes sense, cuz theyre the smallest school in a rather big town, and they just dont want to go 4A.Wylie has only shown a 1% growth in the last 3 years. We are no where near going to 4A. Wouldnt bug me if we did. We already play a 4A preseason schedule.

big daddy russ
03-12-2003, 09:31 AM
TarponFanInNorthTexas:
... Refugio, currently in 2A. Have always had such huge football teams, and huge bands, it makes you wonder if they REALLY have 250 like they say...i'd say more like 350 to 400, which is enough to be in 3A...Believe it or not, Refugio is within the guidelines of a 2A school. My senior year they graduated about 50 kids and have averaged that ever since. That town just has more football players per square foot than any other town this side of Region III. You're right about that huge band of theirs. I swear that everyone who doesn't play football (and even some that do) are in the band. I don't know what you'd chalk that up to. School spirit I guess. But I heard that Refugio recruited back in the good ol' days. These kids are just the sons of all those original recruits.

big daddy russ
03-12-2003, 09:41 AM
Here's a list of the schools closest to that 899-student cutoff line as of the 2001 flash days. Burnet had 858 at the time, but I've heard they're growing quite a bit.

Elgin 897
Everman 896
Fort Worth Carter-Riverside 892
Borger 888
Carthage 878
Jasper 876
Fort Worth Diamond Hill-Jarvis 873
Canyon 874.5

pero chato
03-12-2003, 10:01 AM
Jimbotex40:

it makes sense, cuz theyre the smallest school in a rather big town, and they just dont want to go 4A.So you "heard" that Abilene Wylie does this? Gee, then it must be true. Apparently you prefer to be cynical and clueless than informed and intelligent. As soon as you can present some facts on any of the schools you bash then maybe I'll believe you. The facts are, there has to be enrollment limits for the classifications. There will always be schools at or near those limits. When the enrollment numbers are submitted, the UIL has NOT yet decided where those limits will be. I can't speak for the other schools, but I know for a fact that Sandifer scheduled 4As for pre-district in football because he believed we would be 4A by now. Aledo and Celina are two good examples of schools jumping up a class and still competing just fine. Yes, we are twice as big as any other school in our district. What would you suggest we do? Turn students away and encourage dropping out? Please! Like hsguru pointed out, our growth rate is 1% and we are nowhere near 4A as it stands now. Excuse the rant, but I grow weary of people accusing us of somehow "cheating" on enrollment figures just so we can compete in a lower classification. I know our school administrators and they have a lot more concern for our students' education and well-being than just going another round or two in the playoffs.

3afan
03-12-2003, 10:43 AM
boys - schools cannot "cheat" on their ADMs. they don't even know what dates will be used. and the UIL classification enrollment cut offs are based on the number of schools in 5a, then 4a, then 3a, etc - not on ADMs. pure enrollment is not eeven a factor!!! so this discussion is mostly moot !!!

VWG
03-12-2003, 10:49 PM
3afan:
boys - schools cannot "cheat" on their ADMs. they don't even know what dates will be used. and the UIL classification enrollment cut offs are based on the number of schools in 5a, then 4a, then 3a, etc - not on ADMs. pure enrollment is not eeven a factor!!! so this discussion is mostly moot !!!I agree, and it is actually to a school's favor to have increased student population because they get more $$$ for more students.

Jimbotex40
03-12-2003, 11:05 PM
lol, pero chato, im not bashin your school.
i never said that what i heard was true. i dont know if yall actually do that....how could i know, i live 3 hours from abiliene

pinecone
03-12-2003, 11:48 PM
Jasper has had a declining student enrollment for several years and I don't believe this will change. Ever heard of boosting enrollment numbers to play up a classification? There is a rumor going around Jasper that this happened so Jasper could stay in 4A and were probably 3A in enrollment for several years before they finally
got put there by the UIL. Seems that (if the rumor is correct) special ed students don't have to be counted when enrollment is turned in to the UIL, but were counted on purpose so Jasper could stay 4A and keep their coach. As soon as we got the message to drop to 3A, he left for Beaumont Ozen.

ayoing3
03-13-2003, 12:24 AM
How could Canyon have 874.5?? you can't have a .5 of a person