PDA

View Full Version : La Vernia vs. West Columbia

LV_Bearfan
11-19-2011, 08:24 AM
Who ya got and why? 'Necks have been good all year. Bears are getting better every week.

Shiner
11-19-2011, 09:18 AM
Necks by atleast 21, probably more. Are there any highlights of LV?

warhorsejoe
11-19-2011, 10:06 AM
GOTW game of the week! It's a toss up for me. Two great programs meet and something has to give. I like both teams and I would hate to choose between the two.
When and where?

Dogs_21
11-19-2011, 10:14 AM
Necks by 10!

necks88
11-19-2011, 10:14 AM
I agree on the GOTW

SHSBulldog00
11-19-2011, 10:24 AM
This will be closer than WC's playoff games to this point. However the Neck's will win and advance to face CH again.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-19-2011, 10:40 AM
West Columbia looked alot better last night than the first playoff game. Could of been the two week wait in their first playoff game. This teams has so many weapons than last year.

Should be interesting to see if La Vernia run game can make this a game.

BearBacker
11-19-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm going with my Bears, but we will have to score at least 3 TDs in order to win. I don't know what West Columbia has, but I know they are good and once againg we will not be able to afford any turnovers and not blow any defensive assignments.

Johnnypaycheck
11-19-2011, 11:12 AM
Friday night
6:00 pm
Berry Center, Cypress, TX

Papá Oso
11-19-2011, 11:19 AM
After watching some highlights I like our chances a lot more against the team that showed up against RF than last night, quality of opponent may have something to do with that though. A lot of missed tackles in the RF that really hurt them and with the roll our D is on I think we make those plays and greatly limit their big plays. It will take another total team effort on the offensive side of the ball with a couple more big plays from Grubb but I'm expecting a close game. I'll make a prediction a little later in the week.

PO

Roughneck93
11-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Friday night6:00 pmBerry Center, Cypress, TXLove watching games at The Berry Center. Awesome stadium.

LV_Bearfan
11-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Friday night
6:00 pm
Berry Center, Cypress, TX

I'm curious why they wouldn't play in Victoria?

Roughneck93
11-19-2011, 02:01 PM
I'm curious why they wouldn't play in Victoria?We played at The Berry Center twice last year. Great place to watch a game at and it's worthy of hosting the D1 Region IV championship. I can only guess that we won the coin flip and elected to play there. I know it's a long haul for you guys but the players will enjoy it. Oh, Columbia will be the visiting team.

SintonPirateFan
11-19-2011, 02:13 PM
necks by at least 2 TD's.

YTBulldogs
11-19-2011, 05:06 PM
Cannot go against my good friend Bo and his Bears. But, it will take everything going right for them, and lot's going wrong for WC, for LV to pull this one off.

LV_Bearfan
11-19-2011, 06:04 PM
Can you guys tell me why you go by Columbia instead of West Columbia?

Saggy Aggie
11-19-2011, 06:10 PM
It's Columbia high school IN west Columbia Texas. The high school is not called west Columbia high school

LV_Bearfan
11-19-2011, 06:24 PM
It's Columbia high school IN west Columbia Texas. The high school is not called west Columbia high school

Got it. Thanks.

yellaseeker
11-19-2011, 06:31 PM
If the Roughneck "D" has their way, the offense will have plenty opportunity to put up some numbers. Could be tighter than expected if we don't hang on to the ball or defense gives up the big play. Gotta do better in the secondary. Last couple games, opponents luckily didn't capitalize on long passes with receivers wide open. Not gonna work in a game with someone who's defense is a close equal to ours. On that same note, we have dropped two perfect bombs for what would have been TD's for sure. We're gonna need these in a tight game so we need to get better or find someone that can reel it in. Roughnecks should win this one but, it's like any other playoff game, you bobble too much and you go home. Tighten up roughnecks and let's get to the next round.

Saggy Aggie
11-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Well, I think since this ones about 50-55 mins from me, I'll most likely be in attendance. WC was up 57-0 on Friday before pulling the starters, so they're definitely playing well on both sides of the ball.

I'll take the necks 31-14 in this one.

Pudlugger
11-19-2011, 06:40 PM
From what I have witnessed and followed over the course of this season Columbia wins this game by 2+tds. Too much offense and a tough and fast defense for the Bears, who in my opinion are one of the better over achieving teams this season.

yellaseeker
11-19-2011, 06:46 PM
Can you guys tell me why you go by Columbia instead of West Columbia?

It is Columbia High School because it is for students in West Columbia and Brazoria and is in the Columbia-Brazoria Independent School District thus, it is noted as C.B.I.S.D The Teams being called West Columbia by announcers and other schools irritates some folks from Brazoria cause it seems as though it doesn't represent or recognize the people from Brazoria. I can kinda understand their argument although i don't live in either town.

mac77
11-19-2011, 07:06 PM
I'm curious why they wouldn't play in Victoria?

Because it is Thanksgiving weekend, many schools districts will not have the staff available to host a playoff game. That leaves fewer choices for teams to play. Only the larger schools are willing to host games because they usually have dedicated staff for their stadium operations, not faculty and support staff. Victoria is said to be already booked for next week. The Berry center is one of those staffed facilities that is available.

scrub c
11-19-2011, 07:11 PM
Columbia is (and will always be..) known as west columbia because the school is in West Columbia...
UIL even calls us West Columbia - Columbia HS

'Necks 2013-14
11-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Columbia is (and will always be..) known as west columbia because the school is in West Columbia...
UIL even calls us West Columbia - Columbia HS Hell, I don't even care if they call us the Rednecks! (ala Kashmere game announcer) as long as we are REPEAT R4 champs!!!:)

'Necks 2013-14
11-19-2011, 07:56 PM
What was the name of that movie??.......Oh yes, I remember it now. The dub has some BAD NEWS for 'da BEARS. 'Necks by 20.

NHSBulldog75
11-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Necks by 24

Dogman_1969
11-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Bo 3 rounds deep....A Pigs but must be pork.............

LV_Bearfan
11-19-2011, 09:54 PM
Bo 3 rounds deep....A Pigs but must be pork.............

Whahhhh?...............Google Maps doesn't even know where Sandow, TX is, and neither do I.

yellaseeker
11-19-2011, 10:33 PM
UIL even calls us West Columbia - Columbia HS

They do that to show the location of the school otherwise, they would just use Columbia High School (CHS). Have to have the city to note the location of the school. There is no argument of where the school is. There's no doubt that even when i went to school there (many moon's ago) that if anyone asked where you went to school, the reply was West Columbia. But, the school name is Columbia High School thus the "CHS" not "WCHS". Don't see what the argument is all about. A guy asked and i stated the facts. Hey, we are obviously Roughneck fans so, that's all that really matters.

'Necks 2013-14
11-19-2011, 10:45 PM
They do that to show the location of the school otherwise, they would just use Columbia High School (CHS). Have to have the city to note the location of the school. There is no argument of where the school is. There's no doubt that even when i went to school there (many moon's ago) that if anyone asked where you went to school, the reply was West Columbia. But, the school name is Columbia High School thus the "CHS" not "WCHS". Don't see what the argument is all about. A guy asked and i stated the facts. Hey, we are obviously Roughneck fans so, that's all that really matters.+1 :clap:

neck_06
11-19-2011, 10:49 PM
West Columbia Columbia Roughnecks by 30..

LV_Bearfan
11-19-2011, 11:32 PM
West Columbia Columbia Roughnecks by 30..

Since we're being bold, La Vernia by 40. Heck, just this week, they scored 36, so 40 aint no pie in the sky.

Actually, I have the utmost respect for Columbia. All year, I've thought they were going to be in this position. Just hope our guys give them one hell of a game.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-20-2011, 12:14 AM
hell, i don't even care if they call us the rednecks! (ala kashmere game announcer) as long as we are repeat r4 champs!!!:)lol!

SintonFan_inAustin
11-20-2011, 12:21 AM
Since we're being bold, La Vernia by 40. Heck, just this week, they scored 36, so 40 aint no pie in the sky.

Actually, I have the utmost respect for Columbia. All year, I've thought they were going to be in this position. Just hope our guys give them one hell of a game.It's the right time of the year to be peaking and La Vernia has turned it up a notch. La Vernia has been known to play some great defense over the years. West Columbia from the few games i've seen them, the coaches make some very good adjustments during the game and their players execute it well so i'm expecting them to bring their A game to this matchup. Good luck to both and most likely following this game through the downlow.

pirate4state
11-20-2011, 12:21 AM
Good luck to the 'Necks & by buddies in the Dub C :wave: :D

Roughneck93
11-20-2011, 06:51 PM
ttt...

Saggy Aggie
11-20-2011, 06:59 PM
ttt... LV won't be able to matchup with WC's athletes and will have a hard time scoring against the necks d. I think Columbia has the 2nd fewest points allowed in region 4 against some pretty solid offensive teams and while alllowing schools like raymondville to score 21 against our backups. If we didn't give up at least 1 td in the 4th qt of every game (13 against Wharton, 7 against sweeny, 21 against raymondville, 7 against RF, etc.) then we'd probably have the #1 scoring defense in the region. Point is, I don't think LV will do much offensively and I think WC will score at least 28. I'll leave it at that

Roughneck93
11-20-2011, 07:09 PM
LV won't be able to matchup with WC's athletes and will have a hard time scoring against the necks d. I think Columbia has the 2nd fewest points allowed in region 4 against some pretty solid offensive teams and while alllowing schools like raymondville to score 21 against our backups. If we didn't give up at least 1 td in the 4th qt of every game (13 against Wharton, 7 against sweeny, 21 against raymondville, 7 against RF, etc.) then we'd probably have the #1 scoring defense in the region. Point is, I don't think LV will do much offensively and I think WC will score at least 28. I'll leave it at thatYeah I don't think Raymondville is puffing their chests out scoring 21 points against backups. With 14 of those points coming against our JV.

Roughneck93
11-20-2011, 07:11 PM
What kind of offense does LaVernia run? I read that their offense runs through RB Aaron Grubb?

Roughneck93
11-20-2011, 07:59 PM
Recap of La Vernia vs Lampasas. Thanks to the Killeen Daily Herald.

La Vernia proves to be just as unstoppable as Badgers
Posted On: Saturday, Nov. 19 2011 12:39 AM
By Nick Talbot
Killeen Daily Herald

AUSTIN — Lampasas' offense seemingly couldn't be stopped.

Not any time this season and not Friday night in the 3A Region IV regional playoff against La Vernia.

The Badgers ran for 374 yards, including 167 from running back Justin Maldonado.

But the defense couldn't stop anyone either — especially not La Vernia running back Aaron Grubb.

Grubb had 236 yards on 28 carries and scored three touchdowns Friday to lead the Bears past Lampasas 36-21 at Round Rock's Kelly Reeves Athletic Complex.

"Grubb is like a water bug," said La Vernia coach Bo Robinson. "He is pretty slippery and quick ... that is the first time he carried the ball that much this year.

"Our offense goes through him and we knew we were going to have to match them score for score."

The only thing that stopped the Lampasas (10-2) offense was the Badgers themselves.

"A few times we had penalties, another time we had Secody (Howard) open and we didn't hit him, then we fumbled," said Lampasas coach Joey McQueen. "Really, they never stopped us. We just didn't play very well."

In the second quarter, with the Badgers driving, both Maldonado and Marcus Kehoe had to leave the game with minor injuries. Without them, the drive which had started at their own 20 stalled at the La Vernia 15 as senior quarterback Brandon Scott missed an open Howard at the 5-yard line.

The next play, Grubb made them pay.

The Bears senior running back took off down the sideline and with a key block from Josh Rutledge, broke free into the end zone. The 85-yard run put the Bears ahead 22-15.

"When we got stopped there and then he goes for 85 — that was tough," McQueen said.

La Vernia (7-5), who will play West Columbia next week in the quarterfinals, opened the scoring after quarterback Vince Gill hit Levi Andrews for a 32-yard score in the corner of the end zone.

Lampasas answered, driving 63 yards in a minute and 20 seconds. The drive was keyed by a 31-yard run by Marcus Kehoe and capped off with a 14-yard touchdown run by Howard. Maldonado did the damage on the Badgers' next possession, shooting through the gap and down the sideline for a 47-yard score.

Lampasas' defense just couldn't come up with the stops it needed, though. The Bears drove 69 yards in 3:19, with Grubb scoring on a 7-yard run. Then he hit the Badgers with the 85 yarder and La Vernia went into the half up seven.

After Lampasas' first drive of the third quarter seemed to stall, the Badgers were bailed out on a facemask penalty. On the next play, Scott scored from 11 yards out on a quarterback keeper up the middle.

However, the two-point conversion was botched and the Badgers still trailed 22-21.

"We thought we were going to tie it up ... We had a long drive like we wanted to, but didn't get the extra point," McQueen said. "But, it didn't matter because we couldn't stop them."

The Badgers went three-and-out on their ensuing possession and then Grubb finished them off with a 13-yard touchdown run to put the Bears up 29-21. And after the Bears forced Lampasas to punt, Gill broke off a 25-yard run as La Vernia moved down the field with ease. Gill then finished the drive with a 1-yard keeper to put La Vernia up by the final margin of 15.

http://www.kdhnews.com/news/story.aspx?s=62414

BearBacker
11-20-2011, 07:59 PM
What kind of offense does LaVernia run? I read that their offense runs through RB Aaron Grubb?

I'll be the first to admit that we will have a hard time moving the ball. But then, I didn't think we would score 36 on Lampasas. Grubb has been superlative running the ball the last part of the season, and our defense has gotten better each week. Stopping Grubb is the key for the Roughnecks to succeed, but our boys have completely amazed me this year, and I won't be surprised of what they have and can still accomplish. It has been a pleasure to watch the Bears advance into the playoffs with a team that is short on overall talent but one that believes in each other. That is what has made this La Vernia team more successful than others in the recent past.

YTBulldogs
11-20-2011, 08:04 PM
Well, for the first 8 or so games, it was the Grubb Show. Now, the Bears QB Vince Gill, has gained confidence and is pitching in with some runs and ability to pass enough to keep the heat off Grubb at times. Yes, Grubb is still their key and every game I have seen them play, he breaks a long one (like over 40 yards) a couple times a game. He is a workhorse and get's stronger as the game goes on.

This team is 100% better, then when they started the year. They have developed, gained confidence and have proven they belong here.

BearBacker
11-20-2011, 08:06 PM

Sometimes we line up and try to run between the tackles and other times we spread out the offense and try to pass the ball and even run from the 4 receiver set. QB Gill is a sophmore who was on JV for our first scrimmage and got moved up to play RB, but he took over at QB (he played that on Freshman team) in the middle of the season. He gets a little better each week and 3 playoff games will only make him a little better for next season. He scares me every time he throws the ball, but he makes it work.

yellaseeker
11-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Sometimes we line up and try to run between the tackles and other times we spread out the offense and try to pass the ball and even run from the 4 receiver set. QB Gill is a sophmore who was on JV for our first scrimmage and got moved up to play RB, but he took over at QB (he played that on Freshman team) in the middle of the season. He gets a little better each week and 3 playoff games will only make him a little better for next season. He scares me every time he throws the ball, but he makes it work.

From some of the film i seen, they also use a three back set a lot of times in their running game and sometimes pass out of that set as well. From what i seen, Lampasas was able to move the ball running right up the middle. Don't know how good Lampasas RB really is but we should have the same success with Flannel.

Papá Oso
11-20-2011, 11:01 PM
Recap of La Vernia vs Lampasas. Thanks to the Killeen Daily Herald.

La Vernia proves to be just as unstoppable as Badgers
Posted On: Saturday, Nov. 19 2011 12:39 AM
By Nick Talbot
Killeen Daily Herald

AUSTIN — Lampasas' offense seemingly couldn't be stopped.

Not any time this season and not Friday night in the 3A Region IV regional playoff against La Vernia.

After Lampasas' first drive of the third quarter seemed to stall, the Badgers were bailed out on a facemask penalty. On the next play, Scott scored from 11 yards out on a quarterback keeper up the middle.

"The Badgers went three-and-out on their ensuing possession and then Grubb finished them off with a 13-yard touchdown run to put the Bears up 29-21. And after the Bears forced Lampasas to punt, Gill broke off a 25-yard run as La Vernia moved down the field with ease. Gill then finished the drive with a 1-yard keeper to put La Vernia up by the final margin of 15.

http://www.kdhnews.com/news/story.aspx?s=62414

I think the reporter had his Lampasas glasses on lol. That facemask penalty which was questionable in my opinion changed what would have been 4th and about 25 on LV's 35 to a first and goal on the 10 which is the only thing that kept LV's defense from shutting them out the whole second half. How about the other 2 possessions they had in the second half where our D stopped them. He also forgot to mention the wide open pass in the end zone we missed at the end of the half or the chip shot FG we missed or that we took a knee on their 5 to run out the clock. This game easily could have been 50+ to 13 against the big bad boys that were going to run the ball down our throats because they were from up north and had won 10 games lol. We are well aware of the talent that WC has and if the game was played on paper then we probably wouldn't have much of a chance but having followed this group of young men since they were in 7th grade I've learned not to doubt what they can accomplish when they play as a team. I'll be ready to break down how I see things going later in the week but if we can keep it close and not turn the ball over in the first half I'll like our chances. Now the majority of folks on here can go back to posting how we are going to lose by 30, we are use to it lol.

PO

neck_06
11-21-2011, 12:49 AM

Actually, I have the utmost respect for Columbia. All year, I've thought they were going to be in this position. Just hope our guys give them one hell of a game.

Who's being bold..? Not this guy.. Bold would have been saying that La Vernia has a chance..

SHSBulldog00
11-21-2011, 12:56 AM
My early prediction

28-14 Neck's

Will change more than likely as the week goes.

2-ONES
11-21-2011, 05:58 PM
Go necks.................................

nexfan
11-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Where did all the talk go??? How many people is La Vernia gonna bring to Cypress??

Saggy Aggie
11-22-2011, 12:23 PM
D 29 rolls again :clap::eek::1popcorn:

SintonFan_inAustin
11-22-2011, 12:29 PM
Where did all the talk go??? How many people is La Vernia gonna bring to Cypress??they have a good following just not many posters on the downlow.

SHSBulldog00
11-22-2011, 12:35 PM
they have a good following just not many posters on the downlow.

They don't have internet in La Vernia. The LV posters are using their cell phones

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/2619/theoriginalmobilephone.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/263/theoriginalmobilephone.jpg/)

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Happy/happy-029.gif

Necked
11-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Is Hussey allowed to play this week?

'Necks 2013-14
11-22-2011, 01:23 PM
They don't have internet in La Vernia. The LV posters are using their cell phones:clap:

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/2619/theoriginalmobilephone.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/263/theoriginalmobilephone.jpg/)

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Happy/happy-029.gif:fnypost:

SHSBulldog00
11-22-2011, 01:26 PM
Notice the two balls near the crank

after rubbing them for friction the crank is powered up and ready to go. That's how they text....I think

Who needs a battery

shamu85
11-22-2011, 01:31 PM
:fnypost:

Except that being from Sweeny puts you in a glass house for that kind of post. Remember, nobody goes through Sweeny, they go to Sweeny.

BearFan1
11-22-2011, 02:17 PM
Notice the two balls near the crank

after rubbing them for friction the crank is powered up and ready to go. That's how they text....I think

Who needs a battery

Hey SHSbulldog00, you from somerset?

SHSBulldog00
11-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Hey SHSbulldog00, you from somerset?

Sweeny

yellaseeker
11-22-2011, 06:27 PM
Is Hussey allowed to play this week?

Word on the street is, Hussey will be ready to go.

SHSBulldog00
11-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Word on the street is, Hussey will be ready to go.

Hussey is a ball of fire. Don't underestimate him due to his size.

Necked
11-22-2011, 06:45 PM

True, but you just couldn't help but chuckle when he lined up across from Bernard Lemon during our game...

SHSBulldog00
11-22-2011, 06:47 PM
True, but you just couldn't help but chuckle when he lined up across from Bernard Lemon during our game...

It looked like Mutt and Jeff!!!!

yellaseeker
11-22-2011, 06:50 PM

You darned right. He is as strong as a bull and has the heart of a lion. Pound for pound, I haven't seen many that come close to an equal to him. I know there's a lot of O'line guys that are damn glad he's not bigger than he is. Although, I think his size is actually an advantage for him. Kinda hard to stop a five foot nothing speeding bowling ball. lol

SHSBulldog00
11-22-2011, 07:55 PM

I found a picture of Hussey for you LV fans

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Happy/happy-141.gif

LV_Bearfan
11-22-2011, 09:12 PM
Yawn.................................Sure hope Navasota wins this week. Bears vs. Snakes will be fun.

LV_Bearfan
11-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Where did all the talk go??? How many people is La Vernia gonna bring to Cypress??

At least 11 plus coaches.

LV_Bearfan
11-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Yawn.................................Sure hope Navasota wins this week. Bears vs. Snakes will be fun.

Not my post. Someone hijacked my computer.

LV_Bearfan
11-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Not true. We have internet. We're just busy duct taping windows on our cars. Heard it might rain and it's a long way to H-Town.

Papá Oso
11-23-2011, 12:22 AM
Up late doing some homework. Anyone else looked at the records of the opponents each teamed has played up to this point? How many knew that the average number of wins WC's opponents had over the regular season is less than 4? That along with facing a couple of 6 win teams so far in the playoffs would lead me to wonder when was the last time they were really tested and how they might respond when things aren't going as planned for them. Was it Bay City when they survived and won by 5 against a team that finished 3-7, which is about the average record of all their opponents for the season. The more I look the better I feel about our chances.

PO

'Necks 2013-14
11-23-2011, 07:33 AM
Up late doing some homework. Anyone else looked at the records of the opponents each teamed has played up to this point? How many knew that the average number of wins WC's opponents had over the regular season is less than 4? That along with facing a couple of 6 win teams so far in the playoffs would lead me to wonder when was the last time they were really tested and how they might respond when things aren't going as planned for them. Was it Bay City when they survived and won by 5 against a team that finished 3-7, which is about the average record of all their opponents for the season. The more I look the better I feel about our chances.

POLet's say we responded pretty well to Rockport after falling behind 7-0 for the first time ALL season! And as for the Bay City "game"....let us just say I truly believe that at halftime, the officials walked down to the street to where they lived and had their wives make them sandwiches. Yes, it was that bad!!

necks88
11-23-2011, 08:01 AM
Like I said early on in this thread go ahead and under estimate Columbia and you will have to get used to looking at the back of their jersey's because when they get in open space your not going to catch them.

Dub-C
11-23-2011, 08:12 AM

PO

I hope your homework doesn't end up getting you a "F", maybe next you should study more next time. Those remedial classes can be something can't they. SMH.

jmar623
11-23-2011, 08:18 AM

PO
Did you also see that 4 of the teams we played were 4A schools...including Bay City?

BearBacker
11-23-2011, 09:00 AM

I, for one, will not talk trash. It's not my game. I will back my Bears. These young men play hard and play to the end. The have surpassed all my expectations of them from what I saw at the beginning of the season, and I wouldn't be shocked if we won this weeks game. Talent wise, we don't match up well against Columbia, but we have beat teams this year who had much better athletes than us.

How many people will La Vernia bring? It depends if they get their Black Friday shopping done. I actually heard some people whine because it was so far to Houston, but they take their 5 year old all over the state for cheer competition or don't think twice about watching the Texans or Astros. Opposing scout coaches have commented about our fans and how "they don't get into the game". I heard a band parent at the Lampasas game who wasn't thrilled about driving all this way and they enjoyed reading their book during the game. It drives me freaking nuts!!

Don't get me wrong, we do have good fans...just not lots of them who really understand the game and personal committment our players have put forth. This is the third round, the state quarterfinals. The is a great accomplishment that our team has done this year and there could be more. I've been going to Bear games my entire life and I'll go for the rest of my life, win or lose.

I will get off my soap box for now.

YTBulldogs
11-23-2011, 09:05 AM
Hope the Bear backers travel to support these guys? They have earned it from the home folks. Go Bears!!!!!

nexfan
11-23-2011, 09:45 AM
I, for one, will not talk trash. It's not my game. I will back my Bears. These young men play hard and play to the end. The have surpassed all my expectations of them from what I saw at the beginning of the season, and I wouldn't be shocked if we won this weeks game. Talent wise, we don't match up well against Columbia, but we have beat teams this year who had much better athletes than us.

How many people will La Vernia bring? It depends if they get their Black Friday shopping done. I actually heard some people whine because it was so far to Houston, but they take their 5 year old all over the state for cheer competition or don't think twice about watching the Texans or Astros. Opposing scout coaches have commented about our fans and how "they don't get into the game". I heard a band parent at the Lampasas game who wasn't thrilled about driving all this way and they enjoyed reading their book during the game. It drives me freaking nuts!!

Don't get me wrong, we do have good fans...just not lots of them who really understand the game and personal committment our players have put forth. This is the third round, the state quarterfinals. The is a great accomplishment that our team has done this year and there could be more. I've been going to Bear games my entire life and I'll go for the rest of my life, win or lose.

I will get off my soap box for now.

Nice post BearBacker. I agree with your sentiment on about every issue you hit on. In regards to the length of the trip, the Berry Center is awesome, it's really worth the drive. On the game front, it's a safe bet that neither teams fans know much about the other so how in the hell anybody can make an accurate opinion is beyond me. All I know is that we are fast to the ball on D an our offense has the ability to make some big plays.

BearBacker
11-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Nice post BearBacker. I agree with your sentiment on about every issue you hit on. In regards to the length of the trip, the Berry Center is awesome, it's really worth the drive. On the game front, it's a safe bet that neither teams fans know much about the other so how in the hell anybody can make an accurate opinion is beyond me. All I know is that we are fast to the ball on D an our offense has the ability to make some big plays.

nexfan,

Thanks. I heard that our coaching staff didn't mind agreeing to play at the Berry Center because they want this to be a great experience for they players, and they know that it is a top notch facility and the hosts' do an excellent job of hosting a playoff game.

What you told me about the Roughnecks is what I figured. Team defense speed and big plays. What we have done for the last part of the season is limit the big plays on defense and play error free ball on the offense. We don't have the size or strength or speed of recent Bear teams in the past, but the players have believed in the coaches game plans each week.

I've been saying lately that our coaches have done a great job this year, but I think it more that our players have done a great job doing what the coaches have asked. The coaching hasn't got better, the players have believed in themselves.

Papá Oso
11-23-2011, 10:12 AM
WOW, looks like I hit a nerve. I guess I didn't realize the prestige that came along with beating 1 to 3 win 4A schools lol. Wonder how those big bad 4A powers would do against 10 win teams like Wimberly, Gonzalez, Lampasas, or even our district foes like Sam Houston, Yoakum or even a down Cuero? WC folks were wondering where the LV posters were so one comes on and raises a legitimate question about the competition your team has played and if they have truly been tested especially the last couple of months and the best you can do is to throw out insults about how intelligent he is, nice. If its close or we have a lead in the second half I know who all the pressure is going to be on and that's when we will see who has the make up to be the Region Champion. I talked to a few of the boys last night at a community event for them and they have the up most respect for the talent on your team and they know its going to be a battle. They spoke about your speed in the back field and the great LB play you have on D. We have faced speed and some really good defenses this year so we will be ready and I'm looking forward to it. As far as the underestimating part that has to be a joke right? If anything we are should be making that argument, not one person outside of LV has picked us in this game but we are use to that. No one had us last week either and the way the game started out I think LHS must have been reading some of that and we can only hope WC is cocky enough to be going for it on 4th down as much as they did in their own territory. It looks like we will have a pretty good turnout despite the distance and I agree the boys have earned the support. I know they were signing up folks for charter buses last night at the event and I believe they were on their 4th bus the last I heard. WC posters you can have your thread back now.

PO

nexfan
11-23-2011, 10:32 AM
WOW, looks like I hit a nerve. I guess I didn't realize the prestige that came along with beating 1 to 3 win 4A schools lol. Wonder how those big bad 4A powers would do against 10 win teams like Wimberly, Gonzalez, Lampasas, or even our district foes like Sam Houston, Yoakum or even a down Cuero? WC folks were wondering where the LV posters were so one comes on and raises a legitimate question about the competition your team has played and if they have truly been tested especially the last couple of months and the best you can do is to throw out insults about how intelligent he is, nice. If its close or we have a lead in the second half I know who all the pressure is going to be on and that's when we will see who has the make up to be the Region Champion. I talked to a few of the boys last night at a community event for them and they have the up most respect for the talent on your team and they know its going to be a battle. They spoke about your speed in the back field and the great LB play you have on D. We have faced speed and some really good defenses this year so we will be ready and I'm looking forward to it. As far as the underestimating part that has to be a joke right? If anything we are should be making that argument, not one person outside of LV has picked us in this game but we are use to that. No one had us last week either and the way the game started out I think LHS must have been reading some of that and we can only hope WC is cocky enough to be going for it on 4th down as much as they did in their own territory. It looks like we will have a pretty good turnout despite the distance and I agree the boys have earned the support. I know they were signing up folks for charter buses last night at the event and I believe they were on their 4th bus the last I heard. WC posters you can have your thread back now.

PO

I think the last time they were "really" tested was last year in the State Semifinals. So the fact that we've been here before and recently should give you an idea if we will be ready when "tested". I dont think anybody is trying to start something or brag about beating 4A schools. You can only play who's on your schedule right??

YTBulldogs
11-23-2011, 10:36 AM
PO, I've picked ya'll every week in the playoffs. I'm an outsider. But, I know Bo very very well. I have the Bears this week too, "if" the offense protects the ball and scores points when inside the 20. And, Gill continues to chip in and helps take the heat off Grubb from time to time. And not turn it over. He's been a nice production boost to the Bears offense, that needed another factor in it. He's grown and made great strides in leading this offense IMO.

I have no concerns that the Bear "D" will be prepared for the battle. Stop the big play, and let this game go to the 4th with a chance to win it late is all you can ask for.

Yes, WC has the athletes, but--LV has heart and the will to prove they belong IMO.

nexfan
11-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Do we not get to have heart too?? Maybe, just maybe we have athletes and heart.

YTBulldogs
11-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Do we not get to have heart too?? Maybe, just maybe we have athletes and heart.

Yes, WC has heart too. Didn't mean it that way. Not many gave LV a chance from game 1 of the playoff's is what I was meaning to say here. But, Bo got them kid's believing when district rolled around and they have improved each week since. The young kid's have proven they are quality ballers over this run, and chipped in without making critical "rookie" like mistakes to cost them dearly during this period. Now, they have belief they can do this if they execute the game plan Bo and Staff institutes each week. He's told me, they match-up with WC and if the kid's bring it to the game Fri, who knows.

Saggy Aggie
11-23-2011, 01:26 PM
Can't wait for Friday

BearBacker
11-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Yes, WC has heart too. Didn't mean it that way. Not many gave LV a chance from game 1 of the playoff's is what I was meaning to say here. But, Bo got them kid's believing when district rolled around and they have improved each week since. The young kid's have proven they are quality ballers over this run, and chipped in without making critical "rookie" like mistakes to cost them dearly during this period. Now, they have belief they can do this if they execute the game plan Bo and Staff institutes each week. He's told me, they match-up with WC and if the kid's bring it to the game Fri, who knows.

The truth is, nobody gave La Vernia a chance to make the playoffs. I agree with everything that you say must happen for us to win. There is no doubt that Columbia is a top notch team that we are playing Friday night. The kids know this and realize that they will have to play their best game of the season in order for the Bears to win.

SHSBulldog00
11-23-2011, 01:33 PM
I think the LV fans and players will be in shock when they see the Berry Center. I know I was last year.

'Necks 2013-14
11-23-2011, 01:44 PM
I think the LV fans and players will be in shock when they see the Berry Center. I know I was last year.No doubt SHS. I think it cost like 75M to build back in '05 or '06.

'Necks 2013-14
11-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Since Pancho is mysteriously absent on this thread...here ya go. Friday night="No bueno pa los osos!" Wreck 'em 'Necks.

SHSBulldog00
11-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Los osos están bajando viernes por la noche.

'Necks 2013-14
11-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Los osos están bajando viernes por la noche.Ok. That looks more authentic than my post. We will go with yours!!:)

jp744
11-23-2011, 02:12 PM
Columbia does not have a person on the field who can run like grubb I have read on here about the speed columbia has but grubb much faster a he was at the regional track meet so good luck stopping himwhen he breaks cause you won't catch him

WC/LG92
11-23-2011, 02:12 PM
I think the LV fans and players will be in shock when they see the Berry Center. I know I was last year.

I agree...I was highly impressed as well...here are a few photos. Still... seeing this facility in person...watching your team play in it...awesome.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4Ct-ckvkSOM/TktrftJ_30I/AAAAAAAAAQs/Z6Eb9VhYqeQ/s1600/BerryCenterCypressISDusethis.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/101/301703443_6e553d9b32_o.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/104/292859637_2ca44b6efb_o.jpg

Saggy Aggie
11-23-2011, 02:18 PM
Columbia does not have a person on the field who can run like grubb I have read on here about the speed columbia has but grubb much faster a he was at the regional track meet so good luck stopping himwhen he breaks cause you won't catch him lol maybe you didn't know but our 4x1 relay made it to state last year, meaning we have a bit of speed. But yeah we don't have anyone that can run with Grubb LOL

YTBulldogs
11-23-2011, 02:25 PM
That is a lovely stadium for sure. Wow!!!

SHSBulldog00
11-23-2011, 02:26 PM
Makes where we play look like crap!!!!

SintonPirateFan
11-23-2011, 02:28 PM
lol maybe you didn't know but our 4x1 relay made it to state last year, meaning we have a bit of speed. But yeah we don't have anyone that can run with Grubb LOL

yeah but grubb made it to REGIONALS. in the 4x100. BY HIMSELF.......

YTBulldogs
11-23-2011, 02:30 PM
lol maybe you didn't know but our 4x1 relay made it to state last year, meaning we have a bit of speed. But yeah we don't have anyone that can run with Grubb LOL

SA, I know you have faced many backs faster then Grubb, and maybe the WC backs are faster. But, like I say, Grubb always breaks a couple long ones a game somehow. He just get's the job done. No secret, he's 85% of their offense and no one has been able to shut him down yet in the playoffs.

WC/LG92
11-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Columbia does not have a person on the field who can run like grubb I have read on here about the speed columbia has but grubb much faster a he was at the regional track meet so good luck stopping himwhen he breaks cause you won't catch him

I love it when folks come on here stating these kinds of things. Jeez...sigh...here we go...
Running the 200 meters & Aaron's great times doing so ---> *doesn't* transition or equate the same onto a football field sir. Aaron is a solid track athlete, no doubt he is, he's had great times the past 2 years; as well as a great football player - 100%.

But come on... I'm fine with sitting back in my lawnchair, hangin with my old Region 4 classmates & opponents, while throwing darts at a Sweeny Bulldog football photo...but this...no sir...makes me have to hang up the house phone so my dail-up internet kicks on...and have to call ya out on it boss. Sorry.

WC/LG92
11-23-2011, 02:51 PM

Regionals? What happened to State? Anyways... he's a great 200 meter sprinter. Great times. His times in the 100m... respectable.

Seriously...laughable that we're sitting here comparing track speed to football speed. 10 other players on that field with those individual track stars people. Team Sport. Come on guys...great athletes on both sides of the ball. Well... (1) for LV at least. Juuuuuuust kidding guys! :)

This will be a great game no doubt... now let me get back to texting & emailing awful words to my Sweeny friends.

BTW - if a Sweeny Bulldog gets a job, and no one is there to witness his work...does he still get paid? Iunno guys... I'm troubled over this one. Hmmm...

nexfan
11-23-2011, 02:56 PM

You're probably right. Columbia doesnt have "a person" on the field that can run like Grubb. We probably have 5. Where did that come from??

YTBulldogs
11-23-2011, 03:01 PM
We probably have 5.

Luckily, there is just 1 ball nexfan.:)

Yes, WC is loaded. LV will have to play lights out, no hiccups and just contain all that speed the best it can. WC will be the best team they have faced this year. Bears will be up for the challenge I assure you.

Dub-C
11-23-2011, 03:13 PM
Luckily, there is just 1 ball nexfan.:)

Yes, WC is loaded. LV will have to play lights out, no hiccups and just contain all that speed the best it can. WC will be the best team they have faced this year. Bears will be up for the challenge I assure you.

If WC wins, what team will you bandwagon with in the Semi's Navasota or Chill?

SHSBulldog00
11-23-2011, 03:14 PM
This will be a great game no doubt... now let me get back to texting & emailing awful words to my Sweeny friends.

BTW - if a Sweeny Bulldog gets a job, and no one is there to witness his work...does he still get paid? Iunno guys... I'm troubled over this one. Hmmm...

Hmmm

Roughneck93
11-23-2011, 03:17 PM
Columbia does not have a person on the field who can run like grubb I have read on here about the speed columbia has but grubb much faster a he was at the regional track meet so good luck stopping himwhen he breaks cause you won't catch himhttp://www.pic4ever.com/images/Ghelyon.gif

YTBulldogs
11-23-2011, 03:21 PM
If WC wins, what team will you bandwagon with in the Semi's Navasota or Chill?

LOL. Just a HS fan bud. Don't care who wins really. Sorry I'm not drooling over your WC club and picking them by 30 like others are. They the best team, of course. Does that mean LV don't have a chance, no.

Your question who I'll root for if WC wins. WC of course. But, you'll have the same chance to beat CH as LV does ya'll Friday. It's possible.

SHSBulldog00
11-23-2011, 03:23 PM
http://www.pic4ever.com/images/Ghelyon.gif

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/3638/68792607.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/267/68792607.jpg/)

Dub-C
11-23-2011, 03:24 PM
LOL. Just a HS fan bud. Don't care who wins really. Sorry I'm not drooling over your WC club and picking them by 30 like others are. They the best team, of course. Does that mean LV don't have a chance, no.

Your question who I'll root for if WC wins. WC of course. But, you'll have the same chance to beat CH as LV does ya'll Friday. It's possible.

Lol, your right about WC chances on beating Chill.

jp744
11-23-2011, 03:28 PM

Yeah those guys graduated.....good luck catching him cause he will break

nexfan
11-23-2011, 03:39 PM

Did they graduate last year jp744, did they???

Dub-C
11-23-2011, 03:59 PM

Man, you got your facts straight, now don't ya.

BearBacker
11-23-2011, 04:21 PM

Classic!! I'm not going to make a claim that Grubb is the fastest kid on the field. I hope that he will be able to continue breaking some long runs Friday night. Grubb will not be able to do it all by himself. He'll need help, mainly from QB Gill, and the defense can't give up any big plays or it will be a long night. Like I said before, Columbia is a top opponent. Maybe not the best, but I say that because we've played Wimberley and Giddings, and they destroyed us. We are better, for sure, or we wouldn't be playing in the quarterfinal round.

I'm looking forward to playing at the Berry Center. Top notch facility and Friday night playoff football on a Thanksgiving weekend can get no better.

YTBulldogs
11-23-2011, 04:24 PM
I'm looking forward to playing at the Berry Center. Top notch facility and Friday night playoff football on a Thanksgiving weekend can't get no better.

Boy you got this right BB. Many of us are envy for sure. Best of luck to both programs.

BearBacker
11-23-2011, 04:32 PM
Boy you got this right BB. Many of us are envy for sure. Best of luck to both programs.

Thanks YT.

We've felt that we could have made it this far in the playoffs in the past with other teams that we felt had a favorable bracket, the teams just always fell short. I commend this years players for making the plays when they needed to in order for them to win the games. These schools with the long winning traditions weren't always winning. There had to be a group of players that did what was needed to start winning some big games and year after year the kids followed suit and kept the winning ways. Maybe this can be a start to some good times at LV.

jp744
11-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Man, you got your facts straight, now don't ya.

Yes sir I do I think bess was on it but the qb last year ran instead of him if of am not mistaken

YTBulldogs
11-23-2011, 04:36 PM
Thanks YT.

We've felt that we could have made it this far in the playoffs in the past with other teams that we felt had a favorable bracket, the teams just always fell short. I commend this years players for making the plays when they needed to in order for them to win the games. These schools with the long winning traditions weren't always winning. There had to be a group of players that did what was needed to start winning some big games and year after year the kids followed suit and kept the winning ways. Maybe this can be a start to some good times at LV.

Well, they dern sure have the HC to lead them. Bo is a master of seeking and finding matchups within the game to give his team a chance. He don't have those classic all staters, but---he is good at getting the group to play as a unit and believing they can do it.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Well, they dern sure have the HC to lead them. Bo is a master of seeking and finding matchups within the game to give his team a chance. He don't have those classic all staters, but---he is good at getting the group to play as a unit and believing they can do it.Good luck on that coach finding those matchups! The best shot of finding favorable matchups will be when WC backups are in sometime in the 4th qtr.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-23-2011, 08:06 PM
I love it when folks come on here stating these kinds of things. Jeez...sigh...here we go...
Running the 200 meters & Aaron's great times doing so ---> *doesn't* transition or equate the same onto a football field sir. Aaron is a solid track athlete, no doubt he is, he's had great times the past 2 years; as well as a great football player - 100%.

But come on... I'm fine with sitting back in my lawnchair, hangin with my old Region 4 classmates & opponents, while throwing darts at a Sweeny Bulldog football photo...but this...no sir...makes me have to hang up the house phone so my dail-up internet kicks on...and have to call ya out on it boss. Sorry.lol! Must really have it in for somebody in Sweeny.

Sportshack
11-23-2011, 08:24 PM
lol! Must really have it in for somebody in Sweeny.

I think that he is just stirring it up...he actually said that he would rather have Joseph Saddler as his RB than Jonathan Gray from Aledo on Wharton v Devine thread. Makes me think he is just stirring it up!!! Of course he is posting against 2 D 29 teams so might have an axe to grind somewhere in there.

necks88
11-24-2011, 08:29 AM
Lets go Necks time to shine and gain some respect!!!!!!!

YTBulldogs
11-24-2011, 08:35 AM
Lets go Necks time to shine and gain some respect!!!!!!!

Appears all is giving WC the respect Necks88. LV is the team no one thinks has a chance here.:) Was reading another thread titled "West Columbia" and I didn't see zero respect for the Bears. Like the LV game is a given for ya. Scary.:)

Dub-C
11-24-2011, 08:52 AM
Appears all is giving WC the respect Necks88. LV is the team no one thinks has a chance here.:) Was reading another thread titled "West Columbia" and I didn't see zero respect for the Bears. Like the LV game is a given for ya. Scary.:)

And NO they haven't. All season everyone picked Gonzo and Devine in the region IV polls. Now Look D29 still has all it's in the playoff's. So I think D29 will still have 2 atfer this week and hopefully 3.

YTBulldogs
11-24-2011, 08:56 AM
And NO they haven't. All season everyone picked Gonzo and Devine in the region IV polls. Now Look D29 still has all it's in the playoff's. So I think D29 will still have 2 atfer this week and hopefully 3.

Really? I thought I seen ya'll ranked 2, 3 behind Wimberley all year in those polls. Never seen ya ranked behind Devine. Maybe I missed that poll though.

Dub-C
11-24-2011, 09:14 AM
Really? I thought I seen ya'll ranked 2, 3 behind Wimberley all year in those polls. Never seen ya ranked behind Devine. Maybe I missed that poll though.

Read this thread: http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?115383-Region-IV-Week-8-Top-10-VOTE-HERE&highlight=region+poll

YTBulldogs
11-24-2011, 09:17 AM
Read this thread: http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?115383-Region-IV-Week-8-Top-10-VOTE-HERE&highlight=region+poll

Yeah, this proves my point. I don't even see LaVernia ranked.:) Not even on the brink. Ya'll ranked where ya been all year, #2, behind Wimberley. That's getting respect.

Roughneck93
11-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Game preview from The Facts.

Ground attack propelling ’Necks through playoffs
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 2:00 am
By JOEL LUNA

WEST COLUMBIA — The rumbling locomotive that sits west of the San Bernard River has continued to pick up steam as the Columbia Roughnecks head into the third weekend of the playoffs.
With an engine that has pretty much purred well all year, the 12-0 'Necks now encounter what could be a trap game against La Vernia.
"People have a tendency to overlook those third-place teams. Take a look at Wharton, they were third in our district and they are still there," Columbia coach Leland Surovik said. "But La Vernia was young to start the year, and they are peaking at the right time. They have found their identity, so you definitely have to worry about those third- place teams."

Columbia and the Bears will decide the Class 3A Division I quarterfinal at 6 p.m. Friday at the Berry Center.

"I think we started the year by playing well defensively and got better," Surovik said. "The offensive line got better during the year, and our backs have been on an even keel all year. Our quarterback got better with every game and then he got hurt, so when Treylon (Johnican) took over, he has always been a part of our offense so he just stepped in."

Sean Flannel has run for 170 yards on 26 carries and a touchdown, while Floyd Bess has amassed 244 yards on 10 carries and four touchdowns. Both certainly have picked up their games in the playoffs, with some good help from the offensive linemen opening up holes. The Rough-necks have run for 567 yards in two playoff wins against Ray-mond-ville and Rockport-Fulton.

"A good thing about the year was players fighting to be on the offensive line," Surovik said. "We found some good quality backups and have continued to rotate them. So now we have a good core of linemen that can step in and do a quality job."

Defensively, the Roughnecks played an all-around contest against the Bearkats from Raymondville, allowing just 177 total yards.

"I thought we played better defensively in that game than we did against Rockport-Fulton," Surovik said. "We might have been a bit flat against Rockport because it was our first playoff game, but really our defense has been pretty strong all year."

La Vernia finished in third place in District 28-3A with a 5-5 record. Two playoff wins later, the Bears have improved to 7-5 overall, including a surprising 36-21 win against Lampasas last week in the area round.

The Bears also shut out Somerset, 28-0, in the first round.

"To me, they kind of remind me a bit of Rockport, because they have a pretty solid, shifty running back," Johnican said. "But if we play like we've been playing, we should be good."

Running back Aaron Grubb led the Bears in the big win against Lampasas with a 253-yard rushing effort on 30 rushes and three touchdowns. Grubb started the year as a wide receiver but was switched to the backfield. He was their leading rusher coming into the playoffs with more than 700 yards on the ground and seven touchdowns.

Out of the backfield, Grubb has more than 20 receptions for more than 300 yards and a few scores.

Quarterback Jose Sahagun has thrown for close to 500 yards with five touchdowns.

"This is a team that gets after it and for such a young team they seem to adapt well," Surovik said. "Their defense flies around, and they have a tailback that can make some plays."

During the regular season, the Bears were 4-1 at home but only 1-4 on the road.

So far in the playoffs they are 2-0 on the road.

Tyler Chapel Hill or Navasota await the winner.
http://thefacts.com/sports/article_199d7380-162a-11e1-b0b8-001cc4c03286.html
(http://thefacts.com/sports/article_199d7380-162a-11e1-b0b8-001cc4c03286.html)
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/thefacts.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/0/58/058185bc-162a-11e1-b196-001cc4c03286/4ecd803c1d602.preview-300.jpg
RYAN EVON/The Facts
Floyd Bess
Columbia's Floyd Bess takes a pitch for a rushing play during football practice Wednesday at Griggs Field in West Columbia.

BearBacker
11-24-2011, 10:10 AM
That's a nice article, but Sahagun is not the QB anymore. He started the season as starter, but he never developed into a consistent performer. Vince Gill (no relation to the singer) is our QB, and he gets a little better each week. He takes some of the offensive workload off Grubb and has made some plays. Gill needs to continue to get better Friday and make good decisions and avoid any turnovers. He was the QB when we played district opponent Sam Houston, and they have very good athletes similar to Columbia. He threw some early interceptions in that game that hurt us but didn't the rest of the game. That will be helpful that he played against a good athletic team. (he wasn't qb when we played wimberley or giddings) Gill will be a huge key for us to move the ball. Grubb needs to run the ball for sure, but Gill plays and decisions are crucial for us.

BearBacker
11-24-2011, 10:16 AM
Yeah, this proves my point. I don't even see LaVernia ranked.:) Not even on the brink. Ya'll ranked where ya been all year, #2, behind Wimberley. That's getting respect.

The Bears haven't been given any respect all year, but I don't think that they've deserved any respect from the polls...until lately. I think that polls are indicative of wins and losses, and we didn't produce in the win column the first part of the year. A person can argue that we lost to good teams, but we lost BAD to good teams. When we started winning in district against solid teams and played Gonzales a tight game, I knew we could compete. Now, three rounds later here are the Bears still in the playoffs. Good luck to both teams Friday night.

Dub-C
11-24-2011, 10:27 AM
The Bears haven't been given any respect all year, but I don't think that they've deserved any respect from the polls...until lately. I think that polls are indicative of wins and losses, and we didn't produce in the win column the first part of the year. A person can argue that we lost to good teams, but we lost BAD to good teams. When we started winning in district against solid teams and played Gonzales a tight game, I knew we could compete. Now, three rounds later here are the Bears still in the playoffs. Good luck to both teams Friday night.

I agree, why would they be ranked at that point in the year. But now they have proven themselves. My point earlier was WC was the undisputed Region IV Divsion 1 Champs and until someone beats WC. WC should have been Ranked #2 until being beat. I think Wimberely should be Ranked #1 due to the fact of their strong program through the years and they too are unbeaten this year also. IMO.

Saggy Aggie
11-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Appears all is giving WC the respect Necks88. LV is the team no one thinks has a chance here.:) Was reading another thread titled "West Columbia" and I didn't see zero respect for the Bears. Like the LV game is a given for ya. Scary.:) if you read my post on that thread you'll see that I say 'we've got our hands full with La Vernia this week.'

Shiner
11-24-2011, 10:34 AM
Smack talk adds up to nothing! It won't take long to figure this one out tomorrow night when it counts.

Roughneck93
11-24-2011, 11:46 AM
That's a nice article, but Sahagun is not the QB anymore. He started the season as starter, but he never developed into a consistent performer. Vince Gill (no relation to the singer) is our QB, and he gets a little better each week. He takes some of the offensive workload off Grubb and has made some plays. Gill needs to continue to get better Friday and make good decisions and avoid any turnovers. He was the QB when we played district opponent Sam Houston, and they have very good athletes similar to Columbia. He threw some early interceptions in that game that hurt us but didn't the rest of the game. That will be helpful that he played against a good athletic team. (he wasn't qb when we played wimberley or giddings) Gill will be a huge key for us to move the ball. Grubb needs to run the ball for sure, but Gill plays and decisions are crucial for us.

Yeah I thought that was wrong when I read it. I think it was you or someone else that had mentioned Gill as being the starter now.

YTBulldogs
11-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Yeah I thought that was wrong when I read it. I think it was you or someone else that had mentioned Gill as being the starter now.

I know Gill has been the starter since district play. Why did Gill takeover? Run the offense better? Other QB had descent throwing stat's it appears?

Gill is a soph I believe. What grade was the other one?

Roughneck93
11-24-2011, 11:57 AM
Thought I would post this Q&A with Columbia's Treylon Johnican. Great read on a great young man. Cool pic at the botton too. Thanks to The Facts.

Columbia's Treylon Johnican is everywhere
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 2:00 am
By JOEL LUNA

WEST COLUMBIA — Columbia's Treylon Johnican plays with an attitude, some could call it a chip on his shoulder.
At 5-foot-9, 160 pounds, Johnican plays much larger than his size and weight when he is on the football field. But off the field, Johnican is soft-spoken, but he understands his quest this season with the Roughnecks.
Johnican is currently the team's quarterback after starter Tyler Ince went out with a knee injury back in October. But even before Ince was injured, Johnican sometimes would step in and run a play or two from under center.

Now besides having that position, Johnican also is the team's punter, kicker, wide receiver, running back, punt returner and plays in the defensive secondary.

"Treylon is a special athlete for sure, I mean he can throw, run, kick, punt and just has that God-given talent to do it all well," Columbia coach Leland Surovik said. "This year he's taken those roles and now has become a leader and is certainly doing the things he needs to be doing.

"I don't think that necessarily he plays with a chip on his shoulder," he said. "But he just plays like he never wants to come off the field and just wants the ball in his hands. Every play he wants the ball and he certainly is fun to watch."

Watching film on La Vernia, this week's Class 3A Division I quarterfinal opponent, Johnican and his teammates were in preparation for the Friday showdown at the Berry Center.

Here are a few questions posed to Johnican on Monday afternoon:

Q. Is this your team?

A. No sir, this is not my team, because this is coach Surovik's team.

Q. What's it like being the counted on so much?

A. I've always enjoyed being the team leader and for me to be counted on like that, I enjoy having that type of pressure on my shoulders.

Q. Do you have a chip on your shoulder?

A. (laughing) No, I really don't think I do, I just like going out there and playing football. I think I've always played like I have a chip on my shoulder, but that is just the way I play.

Q. Of all of the different positions you play, which one do you enjoy the most and the least?

A. I'd have to say quarterback and punt returner because those are the positions where you are most involved in. I enjoy touching the ball every time, and I enjoy having the ball in my hands. As a punt returner, I like being in front of defenders and have them miss me trying to tackle me.

As for the least, probably being on the sideline when my teammates are playing (he said with a grin). No but really I don't have a least favorite position, I enjoy them all.

Q. What does football mean to you?

A. Means a lot. I really enjoy playing with my teammates, my home boys. But I just really enjoy this game.

Q. How is this team different from last year's?

A. Our offensive line is starting to play really good, and I have to really give it to my center Danny Hunt, who's helped me make the calls on offense. That has really helped me since I took over at quarterback.

Q. Talk about some of those hits on defense?

A. I really don't think that nobody is too big to tackle. I enjoy tackling anyone, and this year I really have enjoyed playing with my cousins (Keenan Brown, Kevin Brown). We've played together since we were little and all three of us have always gone full speed to play this game.

Q. You are approaching last season's ending; how can you go farther?

A. All of us have to believe that we can beat anybody that we come up against and we will be fine.

Q. It seems like you are a weapon anywhere you are placed, including special teams. Talk about your punting and kicking?

A. I've been a good kicker since the third grade when I played soccer, until I was a sophomore in high school when I stopped playing. When I became a starter on varsity during my sophomore year, I told coach I could kick, so I kicked it out of the end zone and he said I was the kicker. But coach Surovik was the one who taught me how to punt, and for me the most difficult part about becoming a good punter was learning how to keep my arms out when I drop the ball. My range for field goals is about 47 yards, and I've punted the ball 60 or more yards with the wind at my back.

Q. What's it like being a Roughneck for the past three seasons?

A. It's been real fun and I've loved it, but I wish it wasn't my last year.

Q. Playing at next level?

A. I know I can play at the next level and right now Texas Southern is after me, but not only for football but for baseball as well.

Q. Anything special you do before taking football field?

A. I like to sleep by myself somewhere holding a football. What I am thinking is just picturing myself doing the right things on the football field and going over the plays we've studied. I just want to keep moving those chains for my teammates.
http://thefacts.com/sports/article_78dd870a-1629-11e1-b4af-001cc4c03286.html?success=1

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/thefacts.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/0/fa/0fa323da-1629-11e1-b1d9-001cc4c03286/4ecd7ea394426.preview-300.jpg
RYAN EVON/Facts Photo Illustration
Treylon Johnican
Columbia’s Treylon Johnican is a jack-of-all-trades. He plays six different positions for the Roughnecks, who take on La Vernia in the Class 3A Division I regional at 6 p.m. Friday at the Berry Center.

YTBulldogs
11-24-2011, 11:59 AM
Now that's a athlete!!!! Very impressive young man. Wish him well tomorrow. Great read, thanks. What colleges are looking at him?

Kinda like that Sadler kid from Devine. A "do-it-all'er".

Saggy Aggie
11-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Now that's a athlete!!!! Very impressive young man. Wish him well tomorrow. Great read, thanks. What colleges are looking at him?

Kinda like that Sadler kid from Devine. A "do-it-all'er". #7, Treylon Johnican

You'll get to know him VERY quickly.

Plays QB, CB, K, P, PR mainly, but has also played WR, RB, KR.

He has plenty of TDs on offense as a QB in only like 4 games as the starter, has 5-6 Punt return TDs, has 7 INTs on defense I think, and is money on FG attempts. He do the rugby style punt and he has the pass/run/punt option.

He's a bad dude and LV had better keep their eyes on him otherwise its gonna be a long night. But just when you thought you had our team figured out, then theres #22 and #3 and #26 running the ball. Who've accounted for something like 2500 yards and 30 or so TDs. I dont have the exact stats but its somewhere in that neighborhood.

Cant wait til tomorrow! Go necks!

YTBulldogs
11-24-2011, 01:23 PM
#7, Treylon Johnican

You'll get to know him VERY quickly.

Plays QB, CB, K, P, PR mainly, but has also played WR, RB, KR.

He has plenty of TDs on offense as a QB in only like 4 games as the starter, has 5-6 Punt return TDs, has 7 INTs on defense I think, and is money on FG attempts. He do the rugby style punt and he has the pass/run/punt option.

He's a bad dude and LV had better keep their eyes on him otherwise its gonna be a long night. But just when you thought you had our team figured out, then theres #22 and #3 and #26 running the ball. Who've accounted for something like 2500 yards and 30 or so TDs. I dont have the exact stats but its somewhere in that neighborhood.

Cant wait til tomorrow! Go necks!

Yes SA, WC is for sure a well rounded, potent talanted club. LV will have to play one hell of a ges just to stay close in the end. I just count LV out. Will they win, dunno---but, they will be prepared that I know with that staff and the wide-eyed kids believing they have a chance.

BearBacker
11-24-2011, 07:00 PM
I know Gill has been the starter since district play. Why did Gill takeover? Run the offense better? Other QB had descent throwing stat's it appears?

Gill is a soph I believe. What grade was the other one?

Sahagun, a junior, was varsity backup last year but didn't play much, and it didn't help that he started the season against some tough competition. He had some decent stats, but he had a tough time making game decisions.
Gill, a soph, started two a days on JV and did so well they moved him up right away, but to play some RB, not QB. When Sahagun was having some trouble, they put in Gill who couldn't throw as good but was a better runner and a lot stronger and better athlete. He's young and had make some rookie mistakes in the beginning but has turned into a solid performer.

yellaseeker
11-25-2011, 02:35 AM
Anticipation is killin me. It's 2am and i can't wait till kickoff. Hit'em hard Roughnecks!!!!!!!!!!

necks88
11-25-2011, 03:08 AM
same here!!!!!

necks88
11-25-2011, 03:09 AM
yellaseeker are you jd

SintonFan_inAustin
11-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Anticipation is killin me. It's 2am and i can't wait till kickoff. Hit'em hard Roughnecks!!!!!!!!!!Here is something to keep you pump while you wait

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-OtS9v02XE

SintonFan_inAustin
11-25-2011, 10:16 AM
West Columbia 37 La Vernai 14

Dub-C
11-25-2011, 12:15 PM
gata necks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yellaseeker
11-25-2011, 12:30 PM
yellaseeker are you jd

Nope, no "JD" here. It's C.D.J. and that's all I'll throw out there.

jp744
11-25-2011, 02:30 PM
Good luck bears we are pulling for you

SintonPirateFan
11-25-2011, 02:56 PM
good luck Necks!

baseballcoach13
11-25-2011, 03:17 PM
Will the game be on the net anywhere besides legacysportsnetwork.com? I'd like to listen or possibly watch of there is a video stream. Any San Antone stations?

Saggy Aggie
11-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Well, I'm on my way to cypress.

GO NECKS!

Papá Oso
11-25-2011, 05:57 PM
This is one nice stadium that's for sure. My prediction is La Vernia Bears go for 2 in the first OT and win by one 36-35. Now let's get it on!!!

PO

zebrablue2
11-25-2011, 06:00 PM
This is one nice stadium that's for sure. My prediction is La Vernia Bears go for 2 in the first OT and win by one 36-35. Now let's get it on!!!

PO

necks by 20!

sotex
11-25-2011, 06:05 PM
Will the game be on the net anywhere besides legacysportsnetwork.com? I'd like to listen or possibly watch of there is a video stream. Any San Antone stations?
I checked the S.A. newspaper, no San Antonio stations carrying this game.

Papá Oso
11-25-2011, 06:17 PM
Couldn't be prouder of the community, 15 mins till kick off and I'd say the attendance is pretty close to 50/50.

PO

Roughneck93
11-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Columbia 7
LV 0
11:36 1st

Johnican 70 yard td run. First play from scrimmage.

SintonFan
11-25-2011, 06:40 PM
I checked the S.A. newspaper, no San Antonio stations carrying this game.

SA Express normally does a good job listing all the games on the radio. :cool:

baseballcoach13
11-25-2011, 06:42 PM
How many times in the past two years has Columbia scored on the first play of the game? The OC must be some sort of genius. I heard he can read minds and is a horse whisperer in the off-season.

Papá Oso
11-25-2011, 07:04 PM
End of 1st

WC-7
LV -0

Saggy Aggie
11-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Couldn't be prouder of the community, 15 mins till kick off and I'd say the attendance is pretty close to 50/50.

PO not that it's that impressive considering travel time, but it's at least 60/40 Columbia. LV has no one on the top deck and Columbia has more on the bottom deck as well.