PDA

View Full Version : Tim Tebow

Bullaholic
11-18-2011, 11:18 AM
Watched Tebow run 20 yds last night against the Jets with :58 left in the game for the win. Got to say Tebow is a gamer and a player, but he can't hit a bull in the butt with a pass, especially when going to his right. Loved seeing the Jets get beat, though.

Don't know how long Tebow can work the option "magic"---I suspect it will be a lot like the Wildcat---successful at first until the good teams adjust, and then not so much. Fun to watch until then.

buff4ever
11-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Agree, he is a great athlete that is playing a position he will not be able to play for long in the nfl. But he is a competitor and a good guy.

Saggy Aggie
11-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Well he's 5-4 as a starter (4-2) this year, taking over after his team went 1-4 in their previous 5. He has scored 21 Tds and committed just 5 turnovers in his time in the Nfl. He's not blowing people away but he has been effective and has won games. Not really much else you can ask of him, IMO

The Bull #40
11-18-2011, 11:45 AM
I think Tebow is just different and bringing another facet to the NFL that nobody thought could happen. In this now pass first era, a run first QB is said to not be a "typical NFL QB". They said the same thing about Mike Vick and Cam Newton and they're having their fair share of success (Vick more so last year). I don't see why the NFL and their analysts don't embrace Tebow for being different instead of criticizing him. I say Tebow will be a great success in the NFL for years to come because he is a winner and I think the Broncos would be fools to trade him or draft another QB. How bout draft some weapons for Tebow to throw to?

Macarthur
11-18-2011, 12:59 PM
I think Tebow is just different and bringing another facet to the NFL that nobody thought could happen. In this now pass first era, a run first QB is said to not be a "typical NFL QB". They said the same thing about Mike Vick and Cam Newton and they're having their fair share of success (Vick more so last year). I don't see why the NFL and their analysts don't embrace Tebow for being different instead of criticizing him. I say Tebow will be a great success in the NFL for years to come because he is a winner and I think the Broncos would be fools to trade him or draft another QB. How bout draft some weapons for Tebow to throw to?

Vick and Cam are very different. They can throw the ball accurately. Tebow can not.

Look, I love the guys competativness and there's no question he has intangibles off the charts. But to win consistently in the NFL, you have to be able to make plays down the field in the passing game. The one decent offensive team they've played since he took over was Det and they killed them. As long as their defense plays well and keeps them in games, they will have a chance, but he's got start hitting some WRs. You can live in this league by waiting until the last drive to try and win a game every week.

Emerson1
11-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Vick and Cam are very different. They can throw the ball accurately. Tebow can not.

Look, I love the guys competativness and there's no question he has intangibles off the charts. But to win consistently in the NFL, you have to be able to make plays down the field in the passing game. The one decent offensive team they've played since he took over was Det and they killed them. As long as their defense plays well and keeps them in games, they will have a chance, but he's got start hitting some WRs. You can live in this league by waiting until the last drive to try and win a game every week.
Vick has world class speed to add to the mix and Cam has being 6'6" and one of the biggest guys on the field.

Macarthur
11-18-2011, 01:07 PM
Yeah, he is being lumped in with guys that are also 'athletic' and can run, but I think that's wrong. Aaron Rodgers is athletic and can run well, but that's not what makes him a SB caliber QB. Vick has been very good, but has yet to rise to that level because his accuracy has left him at critical times.

You can talk about all these physical tools for NFL QBs and even talk about how great their intangibles are, but the single most important trait that an NFL QB must have is throwing the ball accurately and on time to his pass catchers.

The problem Tebow has is that is one of the most inaccurate passers in the league, if not the most inaccurate. There are NFL people that have watched him all during the season and training camps and say that he is the worst they have ever seen. And even the passes he completes in game, most of the time, the ball is delivered in such a way that the pass catcher can't make a play after the catch. It appears he's doing what he's doing just on sheer will and athletic ability.

But again, if his defense has an off week and they need the offense to score 24 to 31 points, they just aren't constructed to do that.

One other thing, what the hell was Ryan doing going cover 0 and running an all out blitz on that play. That is so stupid; not sure if he's getting criticized on that play, but he should.

StangEm
11-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Did you hear that there is a jersey company that is printing JESUS on the back of #15 jerseys and selling them?

Bambam
11-18-2011, 01:27 PM
I personally think Tebow brings a positive enlightining personality to the NFL. He is a winner! He is positive. He is a MAN OF CHRIST and let that be well known! He is leader! He is winner again! I am on the bandwagon and have always liked Tebow, even though I am an LSU fanatic! I want my kids to look up towards a man with his intergrity and passion. He has gr8 work ethic. I could go on and on about Tebow. I pray he stays humble. The good Lord is using Tebow through football to touch so many people!

gatordaze
11-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Yeah, he is being lumped in with guys that are also 'athletic' and can run, but I think that's wrong. Aaron Rodgers is athletic and can run well, but that's not what makes him a SB caliber QB. Vick has been very good, but has yet to rise to that level because his accuracy has left him at critical times.

You can talk about all these physical tools for NFL QBs and even talk about how great their intangibles are, but the single most important trait that an NFL QB must have is throwing the ball accurately and on time to his pass catchers.

The problem Tebow has is that is one of the most inaccurate passers in the league, if not the most inaccurate. There are NFL people that have watched him all during the season and training camps and say that he is the worst they have ever seen. And even the passes he completes in game, most of the time, the ball is delivered in such a way that the pass catcher can't make a play after the catch. It appears he's doing what he's doing just on sheer will and athletic ability.

But again, if his defense has an off week and they need the offense to score 24 to 31 points, they just aren't constructed to do that.

One other thing, what the hell was Ryan doing going cover 0 and running an all out blitz on that play. That is so stupid; not sure if he's getting criticized on that play, but he should.

I think that you might see Denver try a QB rotation where Tebow comes out on pure passing downs. Orton would have to be willing to share the spotlight. The only time they he is at a real disadvantage is 2nd or 3rd and long. As long as the play action playbook is available he keeps the D on their toes.

Macarthur
11-18-2011, 01:53 PM
I think that you might see Denver try a QB rotation where Tebow comes out on pure passing downs. Orton would have to be willing to share the spotlight. The only time they he is at a real disadvantage is 2nd or 3rd and long. As long as the play action playbook is available he keeps the D on their toes.

I guess they could do that, but I would think that would very clearly tip off the defense as to what plays they are going to run. It might work if Tebow and Orton were somewhat similar, but they couldn't be more different in their skill sets.

Bullaholic
11-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Another solution would be to put Tebow in the slot, or at H-back, and Orton at QB and flip-flop them every now and then.

Macarthur
11-18-2011, 01:59 PM
Another solution would be to put Tebow in the slot, or at H-back, and Orton at QB and flip-flop them every now and then.
they could, but again, with Orton in out wide, they have essentially told the defense they are going to play with 10 offensive players.

Txbroadcaster
11-18-2011, 02:29 PM
The simple fact we are talking about taking Tebow out in throwing situations shows he is not a NFL QB

Macarthur
11-18-2011, 02:39 PM
The simple fact we are talking about taking Tebow out in throwing situations shows he is not a NFL QB

Well, look, I'm not going to doubt that the kid can get better because he certainly has the work ethic. The problem is that he has sooooo far to go. I know so many are fired up because they've won, but again, they have not really beaten anyone, especially given that the Jets are in a really bad way right now. I think if they build that team around his strengths, they could probably be an 8-8 team that might sneak up and get in the playoffs from time to time because it's such a weak division. But once you get into the playoffs, better teams will eat that college offense alive.

Txbroadcaster
11-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Well, look, I'm not going to doubt that the kid can get better because he certainly has the work ethic. The problem is that he has sooooo far to go. I know so many are fired up because they've won, but again, they have not really beaten anyone, especially given that the Jets are in a really bad way right now. I think if they build that team around his strengths, they could probably be an 8-8 team that might sneak up and get in the playoffs from time to time because it's such a weak division. But once you get into the playoffs, better teams will eat that college offense alive.

He can improve to a point..but his skill set is just not NFL QB ability..he would basically have to relearn QB mechanics..he does not have just a bad arm angle, or slow feet etc etc..he is all of them lol

Macarthur
11-18-2011, 02:46 PM
He can improve to a point..but his skill set is just not NFL QB ability..he would basically have to relearn QB mechanics..he does not have just a bad arm angle, or slow feet etc etc..he is all of them lol

Oh, I know. There's no question it's ugly.

I think Denver is going to be in a tough situation here because I think he's going to show flashes and they are going to win just enough games to give everyone the illusion that they could be a good/great team. Sometimes, that's the worst curse for a team is to be perpetually at 8-8, 9-7 or 7-9. They many times think they are just a player or two away. I think, in some ways, this has been a problem for the Cowboys.

12thMan
11-19-2011, 09:10 AM

I'll say winning 4 out of 5 is consistant.