PDA

View Full Version : Burnet Head Coaching Search Is On...

Cam
11-16-2011, 05:15 PM
With coach Walker officially announcing his retirement. (last day is Dec. 31 I believe). The hunt is on. Looks like four internal candidates have applied for the job. And no, Greendawg is not one of them! It is rumored D-Coordinator Kurt Jones and LB coach Scott Styron are two candidates. Don't know who the other two are but I know O-Coordinator (Wilson) expressed interest. If a coach is to come from within the system, the school board members must agree unanimously on their selection. Anybody else know anything?
Well wishes to Coach Walker!....Wonder if he'll still come and sing the national anthem once a year?..He's a crooner indeed!

LHdog
11-16-2011, 05:30 PM
Coaches Jones, Styron and McHazlett have all expressed interest. Don't know about Coach Wilson. Who knows what the board will do but I believe that they should hire from within. These are some quality men and coaches.

Daddy D 11
11-16-2011, 05:33 PM
they should just hire that really rich dude that donated all that money to the baseball program...that way Burnet would get like a retractable roofed stadium within 3-4 years, and he'd prolly bring in urban meyer to run the team as well....lmao

hollywood
11-16-2011, 05:37 PM
Coaches Jones, Styron and McHazlett have all expressed interest. Don't know about Coach Wilson. Who knows what the board will do but I believe that they should hire from within. These are some quality men and coaches.

Don't know Styron or McHazlett, but know Jones is quality.

Cam
11-16-2011, 05:47 PM
they should just hire that really rich dude that donated all that money to the baseball program...that way Burnet would get like a retractable roofed stadium within 3-4 years, and he'd prolly bring in urban meyer to run the team as well....lmao

Now that, was hilarious D11!!....didn't he basically coach the team as well???....A retractable roofed stadium...sweet!! D11, you and me need to hang out...uhhh...well maybe not...since we're kinda arch enemies, it could escalate into fistacuffs....cause unlike Warhorsejoe, I'll take anybody on!!....even women!! Just ask Greendawg?:twitch:

Red&White_9x5
11-17-2011, 09:58 AM
I know this has been a real good job in the past, I would think they would get some pretty salty applicants if it is opened up. I watched them back in the early part of the 2000's and they were dang good. I saw them once this year and they were not bad. I don't know anything about their coaching staff, there may be some quality guys on staff, just saying this seems like it would be a highly attractive job.

Old Tiger
11-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Cecil makes all the final decisions.

kaorder1999
11-17-2011, 10:34 AM
the worst thing for a program wanting to possibly hire from withis is have multiple people apply. That usually makes it tough for them to decide to hire from within.

BEAST
11-17-2011, 10:45 AM
Cam, as you know, I believe Jones would be wonderful choice. Hes a quality guy. Natural leader. He'd make a heck of a HC.

BEAST

LHdog
11-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Whoever gets the job, the future is bright. Just look at the talent on the 7th, 8th, and Freshman teams.

greendawg84
11-17-2011, 04:37 PM

Thats would be nice , only thing is his kid is gone and he was baseball only dang it. If he would have played football we might have to turfgrass ! Retractable roof ,,,,,,, now that would be real cool !

No Cam I will not apply , not sure what they will do but I hope they go inside. All three mentioned would be good HC's but that might get kinda sticky.

hookandladder
11-17-2011, 05:00 PM
the worst thing for a program wanting to possibly hire from withis is have multiple people apply. That usually makes it tough for them to decide to hire from within.

That is what happened in La Grange a couple years ago, had mutiple coaches on staff apply and did not help the process. Coach McHazlett was one of the internal coaches that applied, the staff from within should have gotten together and worked together to keep staff intact. Good Luck finding a good HC.

SintonPirateFan
11-17-2011, 05:14 PM
Mike Sherman will be looking for work in a year or two...........

bigfrank
11-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Interesting

Cam
11-22-2011, 09:52 AM
Interesting

Bigfrank, why do you say "interesting"??.....you know something don't you???

greendawg84
11-22-2011, 10:39 AM
Bigfrank, why do you say "interesting"??.....you know something don't you???

Heard Coach Wilson is also interested , thats like 4 internal guys !!!! Dang better throw in Shipleys name again......

Cam
11-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Heard Coach Wilson is also interested , thats like 4 internal guys !!!! Dang better throw in Shipleys name again......

which one??....the one in Burnet or the one in Brownwood???....

greendawg84
11-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Burnet , dont know about the source though ya know how these things get all crazy.....

BEAST
11-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Burnet , dont know about the source though ya know how these things get all crazy.....

Doesnt the one in Burnet have a stud son coming up?

BEAST

Z's daddy
11-22-2011, 01:41 PM
4 internal, one of which is not Coach Styron. The paper said in an article tied with the Interim Supt that they want to keep AD position filled from within.

As for a Shipley that lives in Burnet still, his son and daughter were both moved to Faith academy last year.

Cam
11-22-2011, 01:53 PM

Greendawg...you are crazy!:)

Cam
11-22-2011, 01:56 PM
4 internal, one of which is not Coach Styron. The paper said in an article tied with the Interim Supt that they want to keep AD position filled from within.

As for a Shipley that lives in Burnet still, his son and daughter were both moved to Faith academy last year.

Dang Z's...you seem to be informed....so are you saying the AD would also be the head coach or would a head coach be hired??....talk to us....
As for Shipley...if he became the coach his kids would be right back at Burnet next year.....

Cam
11-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Doesnt the one in Burnet have a stud son coming up?

BEAST
You're right Beast...the kid is a giant & played QB at Faith Academy as a frosh....it would be interesting to see the Shipley boy compete with stud frosh QB already at Burnet, the Chafin kid....Greendawg, you know them better than I do, who wins the QB battle??....

Z's daddy
11-22-2011, 02:34 PM
Dang Z's...you seem to be informed....so are you saying the AD would also be the head coach or would a head coach be hired??....talk to us....
As for Shipley...if he became the coach his kids would be right back at Burnet next year.....

If you are going to fill from within, then yes. I know 2 of the candidates have their master's, have administrative clearance, and most schools look for the Master's degree for their AD. And since we are in a one school system, it makes sense to tie the positions together.

Shipley would have to want the position and don't know his coaching resume. I know he played D1 football at TCU and still holds some receiving records there.

Yes his kid is big, and has been the QB at Faith, but we all can agree that 6-man private school is whole lot different than 3A football and playing the likes of Liberty Hill, Salado, Giddings, etc., etc., etc.

I think a hire from within would make sense in this case because all of the coaches seem to get along and respect each other and all want to do what is right by the kids to help the program.

buff4ever
11-22-2011, 02:46 PM
If you are going to fill from within, then yes. I know 2 of the candidates have their master's, have administrative clearance, and most schools look for the Master's degree for their AD. And since we are in a one school system, it makes sense to tie the positions together.

Shipley would have to want the position and don't know his coaching resume. I know he played D1 football at TCU and still holds some receiving records there.

Yes his kid is big, and has been the QB at Faith, but we all can agree that 6-man private school is whole lot different than 3A football and playing the likes of Liberty Hill, Salado, Giddings, etc., etc., etc.

I think a hire from within would make sense in this case because all of the coaches seem to get along and respect each other and all want to do what is right by the kids to help the program.

I would buy that last statement if it hadn't already been said that 4 inside coaches want the job. They aren't as close as you would think IF that is true. Two, okay, three or more a big overhaul is on the way.

bigfrank
11-22-2011, 02:51 PM
If the other guys want to keep their job the smartest thing to do is get behind one guy!

Z's daddy
11-22-2011, 02:52 PM
I have seen these men interact with each other. In a different place it may be the case, and there could be one or more that would make "a" change, but not a major overhaul. I think the change would be adding to what they have currently. I could be wrong, and it could be a total change of philosophy, but from wht I have witnessed and know of these men, that does not seem to be the case here.

Again, I could be wrong.

buff4ever
11-22-2011, 02:59 PM
I have seen these men interact with each other. In a different place it may be the case, and there could be one or more that would make "a" change, but not a major overhaul. I think the change would be adding to what they have currently. I could be wrong, and it could be a total change of philosophy, but from wht I have witnessed and know of these men, that does not seem to be the case here.

Again, I could be wrong.

Getting along as equals or near equals is one thing. When a career path or money gets involved, that other stuff will go out the window. Egos and personalities will get in the way of we all see things the same way.

Z's daddy
11-22-2011, 03:02 PM
For the sake of all involved, especially the kids, I hope you are wrong.

I understand where you are coming from.

BulletsX
11-22-2011, 06:34 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but has the Shipley that lives in Burnet ever been a high school coach before? Maybe he stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Dogman_1969
11-23-2011, 12:06 AM
I wonder if Robbie Clark would go back? Remember you heard it here. I know they sure hated to see him leave for Rockdale after the state title runs.

Cam
11-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but has the Shipley that lives in Burnet ever been a high school coach before? Maybe he stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I think you are correct Bullet....the only time I think he's ever coached (if you could call it that) was for the Burnet 7-on-7 freshmen team that won the state 7-on-7 championship vs. Lake Travis back when Jaxon was here. But I really don't know his history......I seriously doubt he is a candidate.....I do recall hearing rumors he was not happy with the current Burnet head coaching situation........who knows...

greendawg84
11-23-2011, 10:57 AM
You're right Beast...the kid is a giant & played QB at Faith Academy as a frosh....it would be interesting to see the Shipley boy compete with stud frosh QB already at Burnet, the Chafin kid....Greendawg, you know them better than I do, who wins the QB battle??....

Wow hadnt thought about that happening , that would be a great problem to have for sure , I would say the Shipley kid would win it due to speed , both have good arms but Shipley moves a little better around the field. Either way they both play and start for sure. Move the other to tight end ?

Cam , I have been called worse than crazy many times ......

No the Shipley in Burnet does not have any HC experience that I know of , but he might have slept in a Holiday Inn last night !

greendawg84
11-23-2011, 11:00 AM
I think you are correct Bullet....the only time I think he's ever coached (if you could call it that) was for the Burnet 7-on-7 freshmen team that won the state 7-on-7 championship vs. Lake Travis back when Jaxon was here. But I really don't know his history......I seriously doubt he is a candidate.....I do recall hearing rumors he was not happy with the current Burnet head coaching situation........who knows...

Cam = :stirpot:

Cam
11-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Cam = :stirpot:

:taunt:

Old Tiger
11-23-2011, 11:48 AM
I wonder if Robbie Clark would go back? Remember you heard it here. I know they sure hated to see him leave for Rockdale after the state title runs.Doubt it especially after the midlothian controversey and his resignation.

BEAST
11-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Wow hadnt thought about that happening , that would be a great problem to have for sure , I would say the Shipley kid would win it due to speed , both have good arms but Shipley moves a little better around the field. Either way they both play and start for sure. Move the other to tight end ?

Cam , I have been called worse than crazy many times ......

No the Shipley in Burnet does not have any HC experience that I know of , but he might have slept in a Holiday Inn last night !

We have been waiting patiently for Stephen to bring his family to Brownwood.

BEAST

Cam
11-23-2011, 01:41 PM
We have been waiting patiently for Stephen to bring his family to Brownwood.

BEAST

LOL!!....I'm sure Bob's been workin' on em'!.....

Z's daddy
11-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Heard earlier today that the internal list may only be 2 or 3. Not sure who the names are though. According to a source, deadline for internal candidates was some time last week.

Cam
11-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Heard earlier today that the internal list may only be 2 or 3. Not sure who the names are though. According to a source, deadline for internal candidates was some time last week.

My guess is Jones, McHazlett, & Wilson. Also, looks like Urban Meyer is out of the runnin'....:)

greendawg84
11-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Yeah but Sherman will be looking for a job soon ! :1popcorn:

Z's daddy
11-28-2011, 02:17 PM
According to Sunday's paper, the candidates have been narrowed to 2, and they hope to reach a decision when the school board meets tonight. Both candidates are current Burnet coaches.

Cam
11-30-2011, 11:36 AM
According to Sunday's paper, the candidates have been narrowed to 2, and they hope to reach a decision when the school board meets tonight. Both candidates are current Burnet coaches.

Any word from the meeting Z? I've not heard anything.

StangEm
11-30-2011, 11:39 AM
yeah but sherman will be looking for a job soon ! :1popcorn:

yikes!!!!

buff4ever
11-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Either paper was wrong, or people aren't too happy with the decision to not post it on here.

greendawg84
11-30-2011, 04:19 PM
Either paper was wrong, or people aren't too happy with the decision to not post it on here.

No news out of meeting last night that I have heard.......

BEAST
11-30-2011, 04:46 PM
Word from an excellent source is the board will meet this coming Monday night. The 2 applicants are the DC and OC.

BEAST

Cam
11-30-2011, 06:31 PM
Word from an excellent source is the board will meet this coming Monday night. The 2 applicants are the DC and OC.

BEAST

I think it's gonna be your ex-neighbor!....

greendawg84
12-01-2011, 08:57 AM

:iagree:

BEAST
12-01-2011, 09:08 AM

If that is true, I think you guys will have a heck of a coach on your hands.

BEAST

Z's daddy
12-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Any word from the meeting Z? I've not heard anything.

Haven't heard anything. Pretty quiet.

hookandladder
12-06-2011, 06:46 AM

BEAST

Could be a surprise after all is said and done, Wow.

BulletsX
12-06-2011, 08:32 AM
Details please.

Cam
12-06-2011, 09:34 AM
Could be a surprise after all is said and done, Wow.

oh goody...I love surprises!!....Hook, you know something!!...Don't tease us!......You know something because OC is from your neck of the woods....am I right?

buff4ever
12-06-2011, 10:36 AM
oh goody...I love surprises!!....Hook, you know something!!...Don't tease us!......You know something because OC is from your neck of the woods....am I right?

Hook knows something from McHaz, he isn't going to say what, and it is going to kill you guys. He shouldn't have said what he said on here, knowing he was going to wait for it to come out more appropriately than from him.

Just b/c he knows something doesn't mean anything. It could be 1 of about 5 things, start guessing burnet fans.

That was a cheap post hook.

hookandladder
12-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Hook knows something from McHaz, he isn't going to say what, and it is going to kill you guys. He shouldn't have said what he said on here, knowing he was going to wait for it to come out more appropriately than from him.

Just b/c he knows something doesn't mean anything. It could be 1 of about 5 things, start guessing burnet fans.

That was a cheap post hook.

Trust me I do not talk to Coach McHaz, just heard something interesting and we will just have wait to see what happens. I am assuming no one has heard anything today, must be waiting for an answer.

greendawg84
12-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Trust me I do not talk to Coach McHaz, just heard something interesting and we will just have wait to see what happens. I am assuming no one has heard anything today, must be waiting for an answer.
Burnet will be the first school to try Co Headcoach AD position in the state ....... now that would be interesting !

Cam
12-06-2011, 08:13 PM
From two newspaper contacts (Marble Falls & Burnet): 3 hour closed door session came out with a no decision. Job now open to outside applicants. One contact did tell me it would probably be January and that hire "could be a great one!"...I would've liked to see DC Jones get a chance.....It's gonna get very interesting......

hookandladder
12-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Looks like the board needs some time to decide, Burnet may hit the jackpot.

greendawg84
12-07-2011, 01:19 PM
From another site ,

so because one of the board members tell the other members " Hey, I'm friends with a guy whose wife is friends with the wife of Famous Coach So and So, and she says that he would be interested in coming to Burnet, because his wife wants to live around here... but he won't take the time to talk to us until January, so let's just wait and see what he says!" It is always amazing what happens in a small town board room... and they dont realize that it affects SOOO many people while they are farting around....I am sure the current staff and athletes really appreciate all this...

hookandladder
12-07-2011, 01:55 PM
From another site ,

so because one of the board members tell the other members " Hey, I'm friends with a guy whose wife is friends with the wife of Famous Coach So and So, and she says that he would be interested in coming to Burnet, because his wife wants to live around here... but he won't take the time to talk to us until January, so let's just wait and see what he says!" It is always amazing what happens in a small town board room... and they dont realize that it affects SOOO many people while they are farting around....I am sure the current staff and athletes really appreciate all this...

It will be worth the wait, if he takes it. It is hard on current staff for sure but that is part of the coaching life.

Cam
12-07-2011, 02:16 PM
this is all your fault Greendawg!!....:taunt:

Cam
12-07-2011, 02:17 PM
It will be worth the wait, if he takes it. It is hard on current staff for sure but that is part of the coaching life.

So, does that mean current staff better start passin' out resumes??.....

hookandladder
12-07-2011, 02:27 PM

That depends on the direction the board decide to go in, just saying it is all part of the job. I have no idea who they will hire, just saying it will be interesting.

LHdog
12-07-2011, 02:45 PM
To the school baord, hiring from within someone with no HC experience is a risk. The delay appears to be nothing more than an attempt to inoculate themselves from potential criticism. If they hire a "big name" and and things go to hell, who could blame them. We need some new board members.

greendawg84
12-07-2011, 02:53 PM
this is all your fault Greendawg!!....:taunt:

Son , I been around these parts so long that EVERYTHING gets blamed on me ! :inlove: It must come from my days in High School ...... you know you are old when dudes you went to school are teaching your boys !

Dunno who this FAMOUS so and so coach is but as long as it works out for the Dawgs so be it .

Come to think of it Cam , how many FAMOUS High School Coaches can you think of . :crazy:

Z's daddy
12-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Come to think of it Cam , how many FAMOUS High School Coaches can you think of . :crazy:

You are assuming the coach IS a HS coach.

greendawg84
12-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Yes I was , would be a large step down in pay for a FAMOUS college coach I would also assume .

lakeman
12-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Joe Pa to Burnet. He is one "famous" coach out of a job...

hookandladder
12-07-2011, 03:18 PM

Very interesting.

Txbroadcaster
12-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Yes I was , would be a large step down in pay for a FAMOUS college coach I would also assume .

I am shocked Parcells is interested

greendawg84
12-07-2011, 03:27 PM
See Cam I was right all along , Sherman is coming to Burnet !:wave:

BEAST
12-07-2011, 03:38 PM
OK Hook, my peeps finally got word to me on what is going on. However, I am still not sold on the idea. Good Luck. Hope you guys dont miss to forest for the trees. That dude must really like him some green and white.

BEAST

greendawg84
12-07-2011, 03:40 PM
From The Old Coach

heard an ex college coach has been contacted on this one!!! I didn't believe it when I first heard it... but it makes sense to me now!!

If he is ex why the big secret ?

BEAST
12-07-2011, 03:46 PM
From The Old Coach

heard an ex college coach has been contacted on this one!!! I didn't believe it when I first heard it... but it makes sense to me now!!

If he is ex why the big secret ?

i guesS they dont want the peopLe to get their hopes up and him not Come.

yoU Never know, iT could turn into something.

BEAST

bigfrank
12-07-2011, 03:47 PM

I would say on the offensive side for sure!

bigfrank
12-07-2011, 03:57 PM
OK Hook, my peeps finally got word to me on what is going on. However, I am still not sold on the idea. Good Luck. Hope you guys dont miss to forest for the trees. That dude must really like him some green and white.

BEAST

Even if Burnet misses the forest there are alot of trees that would like to go there!!!!!

hookandladder
12-07-2011, 04:15 PM
i guesS they dont want the peopLe to get their hopes up and him not Come.

yoU Never know, iT could turn into something.

BEAST

There are reason's for him wanting to get back down this way, from what I heard. Could be really good for Burnet, might see some new family's moving into Bulldog country.

buff4ever
12-07-2011, 04:24 PM
I picked up on the code, interesting, very interesting. What is taking everyone else so long????

buff4ever
12-07-2011, 04:25 PM
I picked up on the code, interesting, very interesting. What is taking everyone else so long????

would expect that would take a little $$$$$$

BEAST
12-07-2011, 04:26 PM

I dont know. I thought I was giving the info in a real easy way.

BEAST

buff4ever
12-07-2011, 04:29 PM

BEAST

I am waiting to See peopLe get on here and say, "what, what is the Code, I don't get it."

CoUrse they prolloy won't Now that I am waiTing to laugh.

hookandladder
12-07-2011, 04:34 PM

BEAST

Yes you did but it has been a while, a few years ago.

greendawg84
12-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Wow , interesting to say the least .

BEAST
12-07-2011, 04:43 PM
I am waiting to See peopLe get on here and say, "what, what is the Code, I don't get it."

CoUrse they prolloy won't Now that I am waiTing to laugh.

i hear you. Some peopLe just Cant get it I guess. yoU Never know Though, they may be waiting for someone to just tell them.

BEAST

hookandladder
12-07-2011, 04:48 PM
would expect that would take a little $$$$$$

Money is not a big factor with him, for reasons to come later.

Cam
12-07-2011, 06:35 PM
well...it kinda makes some sense....I mean, his blood has always run green......then again, I heard some dude from the Australian Rules Football League is also interested...so what the hell.....I'm very confused.......I'm going home!......

Roughneck93
12-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Good stuff in this thread guys. If I'm reading between the lines correctly, looks like some interesting days are ahead in Burnet.

Red&White_9x5
12-08-2011, 08:45 AM
I too have picked up on the hints and clues, BUT is there any real possible way he would take this job.I'm not saying it's a bad job because it is not by any means. My question is the coach in question here would seem to be able to get much bigger and higher profile jobs I would think. Also, it seems that the pay for taking this job would not fit the norm for this coach. Just seems real unlikely to me, but stranger things have happened I guess

Cam
12-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Holy crap the rumors are a flyin',
Heard even Greendawg went to applyin'.
Is it gonna be a college coach,
Or maybe it's just Landry's ghost.
I couldn't tell ya cause I'd be lyin'.....

95mustang
12-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Holy crap the rumors are a flyin',
Heard even Greendawg went to applyin'.
Is it gonna be a college coach,
Or maybe it's just Landry's ghost.
I couldn't tell ya cause I'd be lyin'.....

Nice one Cam

LHdog
12-09-2011, 07:11 PM
The current QB Coach for the Pitt Panthers is not going to leave a $200K job and move to Burnet, Texas for a $65K job. Quit your dreaming School Board and hire the right guy you have already interviewed.

greendawg84
12-09-2011, 08:24 PM
LHDog

I dont think they have interviewed the right guy yet , we will see . Glad they are at least looking at outside guys.

Cam
12-10-2011, 12:33 PM
The current QB Coach for the Pitt Panthers is not going to leave a $200K job and move to Burnet, Texas for a $65K job. Quit your dreaming School Board and hire the right guy you have already interviewed.

Greendawg said he might chip in an extra $5K and promise to take him huntin' twice a year!

Cam
12-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Only update I've heard came from my son who ran into OC last friday. OC told him a coaching decision won't be made until January.....hmmm.....

greendawg84
12-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Greendawg said he might chip in an extra $5K and promise to take him huntin' twice a year!

5K and I will take him hunting 1 time a year and throw in 2 Bass Fishing trips ..... long as he buy's the Beer !

Cam
12-13-2011, 06:16 PM
5K and I will take him hunting 1 time a year and throw in 2 Bass Fishing trips ..... long as he buy's the Beer !

Oh crap!! If he has to buy the beer for you, he's gonna need a bit higher salary!!:eek:

Cam
12-14-2011, 03:13 PM
getting more interesting by the day....Pitt's head coach (Graham) leaving for Arizona State.....hmmmm....guess that means our man of interest will be on the move.....

RoyceTTU
12-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Surely ya'll arn't talking about Todd Dodge. Doesn't even make since to me as to why.

greendawg84
12-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Surely ya'll arn't talking about Todd Dodge. Doesn't even make since to me as to why.

Royce ,

Most things in Bulldawg land dont make sense!:crazy:

RoyceTTU
12-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Royce ,

Most things in Bulldawg land dont make sense!:crazy:

If this is the case, I wouldn't expect it as anything more than either a stepping stone or something to tie him over. I don't know all the background info, but I can't see him making a full commitment to the program. For ya'll sake, I hope I'm wrong.

bigfrank
12-14-2011, 04:02 PM
I heard from a reliable source yesterday that he had contacted Burnet but they had no interest in talking to him. Go figure greendawg.

Cam
12-14-2011, 04:06 PM
If this is the case, I wouldn't expect it as anything more than either a stepping stone or something to tie him over. I don't know all the background info, but I can't see him making a full commitment to the program. For ya'll sake, I hope I'm wrong.

Well, I didn't think it was possible either, until I started hearing the specifics...now it's got me wonderin' what the hell is going on.......but in reality, just about every coach goes somewhere already looking to go somewhere else...lol....for example: Your Bob....from Burnet, to Coppell, to Brownwood....I would say Coppell is pretty much like Southlake or UNT....a university!!..lol....plus, Greendawg's commitment to take him huntin' and fishin' is basically considered a "bonus"!!....

hookandladder
12-14-2011, 04:11 PM
I heard from a reliable source yesterday that he had contacted Burnet but they had no interest in talking to him. Go figure greendawg.

I heard from a very reliable source that he has already been interviewed, that was like a week ago. Sounds to me like he is just taking his time to decide, who really knows.

RoyceTTU
12-14-2011, 04:19 PM
Well, I didn't think it was possible either, until I started hearing the specifics...now it's got me wonderin' what the hell is going on.......but in reality, just about every coach goes somewhere already looking to go somewhere else...lol....for example: Your Bob....from Burnet, to Coppell, to Brownwood....I would say Coppell is pretty much like Southlake or UNT....a university!!..lol....plus, Greendawg's commitment to take him huntin' and fishin' is basically considered a "bonus"!!....

Oh, I totally agree. Some just tend to set there roots a tad deeper. I see TD as a one and done. But like I said, I hope not.

Cam
12-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Well..I heard from a very very unreliable source that Dodge's middle name is "Hemi", he really doesn't like the color green, we're all basically full of crap, hookandladder won't talk to me, my hemorroids will always fester, and Preperation H can be used as a lip balm!......just sayin'...:)

greendawg84
12-14-2011, 04:39 PM

Hell that would not suprise me in the least bit either . LOL

Cam
12-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Oh, I totally agree. Some just tend to set there roots a tad deeper. I see TD as a one and done. But like I said, I hope not.
I hope not either for our boys sakes....but if one and done means a 98-11 record and 4 state championships (@ SLC), I'll take it!

greendawg84
12-14-2011, 04:43 PM
I hope not either for our boys sakes....but if one and done means a 98-11 record and 4 state championships (@ SLC), I'll take it!

:iagree: And he leaves behind a good replacement !

Cam
12-14-2011, 04:47 PM

Bigfrank....your name scares me!!....:eek:

Cam
12-14-2011, 04:48 PM
Hell that would not suprise me in the least bit either . LOL

LOL!!...you have such confidence in our school board don't ya Greendawg!....:clap:

greendawg84
12-14-2011, 04:51 PM
LOL!!...you have such confidence in our school board don't ya Greendawg!....:clap:

Yes I dont ......:wave:

lv2937
12-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Yes I dont ......:wave:i heard Marble Faalls is interested in him also.

BulletsX
01-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Anything happening here yet?

greendawg84
01-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Anything happening here yet?

All quiet on the home front , not sure when the next board meeting is .

Cam , what is the scoop ?

Dunno about the Marble Falls deal , but dont see that happening , Worner is a home town boy and been there FOREVER and a day. Might be true if he is ready to step down and all his boys are gone but I think his youngest son will be a senior next year.

Cam
01-03-2012, 10:31 AM
All quiet on the home front , not sure when the next board meeting is .

Cam , what is the scoop ?

Dunno about the Marble Falls deal , but dont see that happening , Worner is a home town boy and been there FOREVER and a day. Might be true if he is ready to step down and all his boys are gone but I think his youngest son will be a senior next year.

don't know much cept the board meeting is on the 15th and it's supposed to be a big one....as for TD to Marble..no way.....
did hear there was a TD sighting with his wife in Burnet!......but that's not confirmed......probly just a look alike......

Z's daddy
01-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Heard that there is a special meeting of the board on Friday Morning. Of the many topics is the discussion of both Superintendent and AD/HC. Don't know if they are going to propose the hiring of an AD/HC or not. Strange that the meeting is in the morning and is closed door. Sounds fishy at best.

Rule #76
01-03-2012, 11:09 AM
If Woerner leaves MF it isn't because he stepped down. There have always been people out to get him and now that both his boys are done it might happen. He is a great guy and coach. Sure hope he can stick around.

Cam
01-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Heard that there is a special meeting of the board on Friday Morning. Of the many topics is the discussion of both Superintendent and AD/HC. Don't know if they are going to propose the hiring of an AD/HC or not. Strange that the meeting is in the morning and is closed door. Sounds fishy at best.

You are correct Z....meeting Friday @ 8:30am......and you're right...does smell a bit of tilapia.....

Z's daddy
01-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Heard today that the Meeting Friday morning will be to decide on the AD/HC position between the 2 internal finalists and to narrow the list for Supt. The big name never actually applied for the job. Not sure what to believe anymore. Too much Cloak & Dagger. Hopefully everything will get sorted out and the uncertainty will be over.

Cam
01-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Heard today that the Meeting Friday morning will be to decide on the AD/HC position between the 2 internal finalists and to narrow the list for Supt. The big name never actually applied for the job. Not sure what to believe anymore. Too much Cloak & Dagger. Hopefully everything will get sorted out and the uncertainty will be over.

I'm hearing the same thing....coach to be decided on between the two internal candidates. If decision not made, job will be open statewide....
Only problem I see is I hear board is divided between the two candidates.....so what gives?

YTBulldogs
01-04-2012, 05:43 PM
I'm hearing the same thing....coach to be decided on between the two internal candidates. If decision not made, job will be open statewide....
Only problem I see is I hear board is divided between the two candidates.....so what gives?

Take turns being HC I guess. That's a killer when the board is torn between 2 in-house coaches. Divides community and some hard feelings is the only outcome most times.

If you go outside now, you'll piss off these 2 in-house guys and both will end up leaving. Not a good situation. Shame you didn't have 1 solid coach.

Our neighbors tried it (hiring within and 2 wanted it), and it's a mess over there.

Z's daddy
01-04-2012, 11:34 PM
Read it in today's paper. Did not say anything about it being opened up statewide if nothing resolved. Paper made it seem as if it would be one or the other. Either way, it will be a relief not only to each of these men, but the rest of the coaching staff, and players as well. Kids aren't dumb, they just want to know who is going to be in charge for the future.

Blue42
01-05-2012, 12:24 AM
Take turns being HC I guess. That's a killer when the board is torn between 2 in-house coaches. Divides community and some hard feelings is the only outcome most times.

If you go outside now, you'll piss off these 2 in-house guys and both will end up leaving. Not a good situation. Shame you didn't have 1 solid coach.

Our neighbors tried it (hiring within and 2 wanted it), and it's a mess over there.
What neighbors you talking about YTB Shiner.LOL

hookandladder
01-05-2012, 07:09 AM
What neighbors you talking about YTB Shiner.LOL

Not Shiner , they got it going on. My guess would be Cuero,seems like there was some unhappy fans over there this year.

Cam
01-05-2012, 10:19 AM
Guess I'm still wonderin' what's gonna happen if board is still split between the two internal candidates. Below is an excerpt of Burnet Bulletin's front page headlines:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Field (school board President) declined to name the two coaches under consideration, but it is widely believed they are defensive coordinator Kurt Jones and offensive coach Doug Wilson, who were part of Doyle Walker's staff.
The board members were believed to be down to the same two candidates last month, but delayed making a decision.
Former Southlake Carroll and University of North Texas coach Todd Dodge, currently the quarterbacks coach at the University of Pittsburgh, had expressed an interest in returning to the high school ranks, preferably in Burnet, several sources familiar with the selection process told the Burnet Bulletin.
"Dodge never formally applied", Field said.
"As far as I know he's not interviewed and he did not submit an application," the school board president said.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hmmm...Field's comments are interesting. How can you apply for a job if it isn't posted? Plus, what was the purpose of delaying the decision last month? Maybe it was just to piss both candidates off!...lol....There was more goin' on here than we'll ever know....Whatever....I say just make a decision and let's move on....

greendawg84
01-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Read it in today's paper. Did not say anything about it being opened up statewide if nothing resolved. Paper made it seem as if it would be one or the other. Either way, it will be a relief not only to each of these men, but the rest of the coaching staff, and players as well. Kids aren't dumb, they just want to know who is going to be in charge for the future.

Agreed , quit messing around , make a decision and lets move on ! Somebody will be pissed no matter what, this aint Little League everyone dont get a trophy. :1popcorn:

buff4ever
01-05-2012, 11:34 AM
You never know what is going on behind the scenes, or in closed session, but this seems to have been a little unnecessary. Dragging it out, all the questions and such for so long can only make people close to the situation (coaches, players, parents and staff) uneasy.

Ernest T Bass
01-05-2012, 11:48 AM
The general rule is when a HC job opens up,only one internal candidate applies. Never a good thing when two on the same staff apply. Usually that means that neither get it. Strange situation in Burnet.

Cam
01-05-2012, 12:00 PM
The general rule is when a HC job opens up,only one internal candidate applies. Never a good thing when two on the same staff apply. Usually that means that neither get it. Strange situation in Burnet.
LOL....we have a strange school board!!!

Matthew328
01-05-2012, 04:08 PM
I had heard from my sources that Dodge was interested primarily in 2 HS gigs...Burnet and Flower Mound...he pulled out of Flower Mound earlier in the week because there were issues the two sides could not come to terms on...not sure why he decided not to pursue the Burnet gig...my sources think its because he had a heads up that Marble Falls would be opening....Dodge's wife is from Austin and his daughter will be attending Texas State...money is not an issue, I believe he's still getting paid by UNT and once Pitt goes in a different direction after the bowl game he'll be getting money from them as well....looks like Dodge to Marble Falls..

buff4ever
01-05-2012, 04:15 PM
Is the MF job open? There is a bunch of hear say on all this TD talk, maybe there will be some truth of it???? Who knows.

Matthew328
01-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Yes Marble Falls is open

Cam
01-05-2012, 04:23 PM
I had heard from my sources that Dodge was interested primarily in 2 HS gigs...Burnet and Flower Mound...he pulled out of Flower Mound earlier in the week because there were issues the two sides could not come to terms on...not sure why he decided not to pursue the Burnet gig...my sources think its because he had a heads up that Marble Falls would be opening....Dodge's wife is from Austin and his daughter will be attending Texas State...money is not an issue, I believe he's still getting paid by UNT and once Pitt goes in a different direction after the bowl game he'll be getting money from them as well....looks like Dodge to Marble Falls..

They can have em'! Burnet will still kick their butts like they usually do!!

Cam
01-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Yes Marble Falls is open

Where did you hear that? Woerner is still there as far as I know...

Matthew328
01-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Where did you hear that? Woerner is still there as far as I know...

From Coach Woerner himself, he is now the Director of Special Programs in MFISD

olddawggreen
01-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Hello

YTBulldogs
01-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Dodge wants that job, and they didn't interview him? Or they did? Can't see letting him walk.

olddawggreen
01-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Just wanted to set the storey straight on the following earlier post;

From another site ,

I'm the guy whose wife is mentioned above as being friends with the wife of the "Famous Coach", guilty as charged. Although our wives have been good friends since elementry school in Westlake, I have only known the Dodges for the last 20 years or so, but long enough to know that they are good people and an asset to any community they live in. I haven't had much to do with Burnet in the past several years, but when I read in the local paper that Walker was finally stepping down, I called Todd, who I knew wanted to get back to coaching Texas high School football, and told him about the opening. Dodge told me a long time ago that he had always wanted to coach in the Hill Country and that because of what Bob Shipley had accomplished at Burnet, (and probably somewhat because of some of the bragging that he used to hear from me about Burnet) Todd had told me that Burnet was one of the 4 or 5 places that he would consider coaching at. I thought this might be an opportunity to do something good for the kids in Burnet and the football program. When Todd told me he was very interested in the position. I then contacted 4 of the board members about it, and felt they were supportive of the idea. I put one of them directly in touch with Todd. I then called 2 other board members to give a personal reference for the Dodge family. They both seemed open to the idea of bringing Dodge to Burnet. I understand that there was some talk back and forth and I know the Dodge family was excited about the possible move to Burnet. Todd told them in the beginning that because of his obligations at Pitt, that the earliest that he might be able to make it to Burnet might be during the Christmas vacation. He told them that if they had to have someone before that, he was not their guy. I believe there was some discussion about him meeting with the board on Dec 29.

In the meantime, I was contacted by several people in the community and told that one of the board members, who I had visited with was activily opposing waiting for Dodge to interview. To make matters worse, I was told that this board member's wife had started a nasty campaign against Dodge among some of the teachers and people in the community. From what I was told she was spreading things about Dodge that were unfounded and I know to be untrue. I was told this wasn't the first time she had pulled a stunt like this. The long and the short of it is that when I heard about this I called Todd and told him not to waste his time on Burnet. There is no way that I would put friends in the middle of that mess.
This was never about knocking the local guys out of a job. I've been told by numerous pepole in Burnet that the football program has been in decline since Shipley left. When I first contacted the board members I had no idea that they weren't going to open the position up. I have read on here that Jones and Wilson are possible candidates for the job. I have known Jones for years and have the greatest respect for him personally and for his coaching ability. While I don't know Wilson, I have heard good things about him as a person. I wish them, or whoever gets the job the best of luck.

YTBulldogs
01-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Lord, what a mess. And, they could of landed one of the best HS coaches ever. You did right, telling Todd to move on and not get in the middle of small town politics. You did right too, telling the board Todd was interested. Guy like him don't come around often. Todd's lucky having you as a friend. Tell the wife's to stay out of it. Your not the only town that endures BS like this. Shame.

LHdog
01-05-2012, 10:09 PM
According to KXAN Sports, Todd Dodge will be the next Marble Falls Mustang head coach.

regaleagle
01-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Probably better off there, anyway. It's a bigger school, small 4A with good facilities, a bigger town, and will grow faster. I think Burnet is right on the cusp of moving into a 4A enrollment status, maybe next realignment if they grow 100+/- students. And doesn't have to be compared with the Shipley legacy there. He can make his own.

Old Dog
01-06-2012, 12:56 AM
Burnet's student numbers are down, not going up. Of course we will be 4A again.......someday.

Do you really think a fellow like Todd will forever be satisfied in Marble Falls or Burnet........no way.

BEAST
01-06-2012, 08:00 AM
Burnet's student numbers are down, not going up. Of course we will be 4A again.......someday.

Do you really think a fellow like Todd will forever be satisfied in Marble Falls or Burnet........no way.

If he is putting down roots setting up his retirement location, heck yea.

BEAST

zebrablue2
01-06-2012, 09:04 AM
According to KXAN Sports, Todd Dodge will be the next Marble Falls Mustang head coach.

He could not have picked a more beautiful location. That part of the country is as close to heaven as you can get...

greendawg84
01-06-2012, 10:04 AM
That makes more sense to me , Marble Falls has a whole lot more money and is a bigger school. I also go back to my other post where I said I have no faith in our school board. Now everyone knows why , you let a guy like TD take a job 12 miles from you when you had a chance to hire him. Marble Falls has always been an average team for some reason , maybe TD can take that program to the next level.

As for us , our numbers were down last year and if in fact TD does end up in MF I can see them dropping even more as folks move that direction.

Olddawg ,

Thanks for the insight , and also agree , you did the right thing on both .

Troubador
01-06-2012, 10:28 AM
I do not think we will ever know they whole situation. Burnet is suppose to announce today wether they will hire from within or if they open it up. The talent in Burnet has been down lately and it hit rock bottom this year. I feel that it is going to improve in the next couple of years. The entire situation has been handled unprofessionally. There has been no communication and people with hidden agendas. The main problem is that there is no one in charge in Burnet and everyone feels that because of this they can get something done for themselves. This has been a model of how not to hire a coach for your program. I hope for the kids sake that the board makes a decision or at least has the courage to tell everyone what is going on and what they are planning.

Z's daddy
01-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Heard from a reliable source that an announcement has been made. The school board has chosen Kurt Jones as the new AD/HC.

BEAST
01-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Heard from a reliable source that an announcement has been made. The school board has chosen Kurt Jones as the new AD/HC.

That is official. Kurt Jones is the new AD/HC of Burnet. You guys made the right choice.

BEAST

Cam
01-06-2012, 10:42 AM
That is official. Kurt Jones is the new AD/HC of Burnet. You guys made the right choice.

BEAST

BEAST, you were right all along!

BEAST
01-06-2012, 10:48 AM
BEAST, you were right all along!

Congrats Cam, I truly believe yall just picked up a dang fine coach.

BEAST

Cam
01-06-2012, 11:07 AM
I don't know bout all the crap that goes on with school boards. But I do know this. Coach Jones is a good young guy who deserves a chance to be a head coach. Coach Shipley was no dummy when he was trying to hire him away to Brownwood a few seasons back. My son loved playing for Jones. One thing I've always noticed from Jones is his strict business approach. He was always very friendly but not real talkative, especially to players parents. I think that's a good thing cause he's basically trying to keep his distance. Which IMO, keeps the buddy-buddy crap in check. I think Jones will do what is right for the team and won't worry about keeping players mommy's and daddy's happy! I say let the Jones era begin! With the talent Burnet has coming up the ranks, I'm sure he's lickin' his chops! I predict Burnet will be pleasantly surprised with Coach Jones.

LHdog
01-06-2012, 07:54 PM
I could not agree more Cam. Coach Jones is the right guy and will do a great job.

LionFan72
01-07-2012, 09:16 AM
I don't know bout all the crap that goes on with school boards. But I do know this. Coach Jones is a good young guy who deserves a chance to be a head coach. Coach Shipley was no dummy when he was trying to hire him away to Brownwood a few seasons back. My son loved playing for Jones. One thing I've always noticed from Jones is his strict business approach. He was always very friendly but not real talkative, especially to players parents. I think that's a good thing cause he's basically trying to keep his distance. Which IMO, keeps the buddy-buddy crap in check. I think Jones will do what is right for the team and won't worry about keeping players mommy's and daddy's happy! I say let the Jones era begin! With the talent Burnet has coming up the ranks, I'm sure he's lickin' his chops! I predict Burnet will be pleasantly surprised with Coach Jones.
Very fine hire, very good coach, and I think you will be pleasantly surprised!

YTBulldogs
01-07-2012, 09:27 AM
Will the other candidate who was being consider with Jones, stay on staff with Jones?

Matthew328
01-07-2012, 09:38 AM
Will the other candidate who was being consider with Jones, stay on staff with Jones?

Usually when two guys from the staff go after a job the one who doesnt get it leaves...its usually not a good situation if the one who didnt get the job stayed

olddawggreen
01-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Just read in the Burnet Bulletin that they did open the position up and actually had 70 something applicants. Congratulations to Coach Jones.

olddawggreen
01-08-2012, 11:48 AM
Just read in the Burnet Bulletin that they did open the position up and actually had 70 something applicants. Congratulations to Coach Jones.

It was pointed out to me that I misread the Burnet Bulletin article and that the 70 applications that I refered to were not for the AD/HC position, which was actually never opened up, but were for the Superintendent position which has been open
. I stand corrected on that, but my congratulations to Coach Jones was sincere and I will stand by it.

Cam
01-09-2012, 10:54 AM

I know he once told my boy if he didn't get the head coaching job, he would have to leave...but, things can change...with school budget cuts everywhere sometimes you have to hang on to what you got. I'll be curious to see what Jones does with his current staff. Just hope coach Styron stays put.

buff4ever
01-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Good for Burnet that this is over. Time to move on.

Phil C
01-09-2012, 05:15 PM
Usually when two guys from the staff go after a job the one who doesnt get it leaves...its usually not a good situation if the one who didnt get the job stayed

I remember one time years ago (not Sinton or Freer) the head coach left and they had two assistants that wanted the job but they offered it to the one that had not been there the least amount of time but he turned them down and left. The other coach was insulted and left also. What a mess up.

Cam
01-09-2012, 05:29 PM
Good for Burnet that this is over. Time to move on.

You got that right Buff...but after hearing what Olddawggreen said about a school board member's wife puttin' in her two-cents worth of a smearin' campaign, I'm wonderin' if I should write one last nasty letter to the powers-at-be about this school board wannabe.....

But I know it's time to move on to more important things.....like, when in the hell is Giddings gonna paint that damned buffalo mascot at one end of the field?!!...just kiddin' my friend...just kiddin'....it's beautiful and more intimidatin' just the way it is....:taunt: