PDA

View Full Version : Does this Fictious Coach Have The Right Attitude?

PAINTBALL
12-22-2003, 09:43 AM
I have heard this story many times from coaches. Each claim it happened to them as a young coach, so it is probably some type of fictious story to raise a dicussion of when discipline is appropiate.

A young coach goes into the head coaches' office and says: "Coach, I went to the store last night and you can't believe who I saw drive by me in a car drinking a beer." Without asking who, the head coach replies: "It isn't important who you saw drinking a beer. What's important is, did he see you see him."

<small>[ December 22, 2003, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: PAINTBALL ]</small>

PAINTBALL
12-22-2003, 05:05 PM
I was wondering how many know their A.D.'s policy about discipline in connection with off school activity when no criminal charges have been brought against the student. Most seem to believe that a coach should discipline when aware of a player's actions, even if the player doesn't know he had been caught.

shinigdam
12-22-2003, 05:14 PM
You know I have heard this story many a times......usually about Baptist.

poncho
12-22-2003, 05:41 PM
PAINTBALL:
I was wondering how many know their A.D.'s policy about discipline in connection with off school activity when no criminal charges have been brought against the student. Most seem to believe that a coach should discipline when aware of a player's actions, even if the player doesn't know he had been caught.I'm for discipline,if it is known that a player is breaking the rules. A team sets goals. The key is TEAM. Isn't the reason Burnet player and some other teams hold hands when going out for the coin toss is to show UNITY? Each player on a team has to practice discipline on and off the field. I'm also for the team captains having a part in player punishment. :cool: :D

lepfan
12-22-2003, 07:28 PM
Some programs require the "caught" athlete to come to the AD and inform them of their behavior. If behavior is not confessed to the AD/coaches and they find out...and they almost always will...then the punishment is doubled. I agree with the team captains having a part in the decision...peer pressure goes a long way.