PDA

View Full Version : Favorite/Least Favorite playoff sites?

DavidWooderson
11-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Playoffs travel wise I think is always bigger for 1A thru 3A schools because you get to go and play at bigger stadiums that you normally don't get to play at. Back when I was in High School that was the only time you got to play on turf (the old school carpet kind of turf). So where are your favorite places to go? Least favorite?

~FAVORITES~
Pennington Field, Bedford - PP's old home away from home, though we haven't played there in over 10 years. Before that from 1990 thru 2000 we probably played 15-20 games there. We got so used to that place, the facilities and security crews knew us by first names and even a few of them became Bearcat fans themselves, wearing orange and black when we would pull up to the stadium. Lot's of good memories and some bad ones from Pennington.

Memorial Stadium, Wichita Falls - I love that old bowl type setting, the ramp walk way down to the field. One of the best feelings in the world is walking down that ramp before the game starts, seeing your fans going crazy in the stands and in the victory line, still gives me chills. The way the wind whips down through the bowl and how it always seems like the weather can change in the snap of a finger there.

Birdville ISD Stadium, North Richland Hills - Basically an updated version of Pennington Field. Great playoff atmosphere for small schools.

C.H. Collins Stadium, Denton - Such a state of the art facility, I love the north endzone locker room area, only problem is no sidelines whatsoever.

Texas Stadium, Irving - Lots of good times with my grandpa and great uncle (his brother) watching games at that old dump. The stadium itself wasn't much to speak of especially in the last 10 years of the place, but it was such an atmosphere, a lot better than the new place.

~LEAST FAVORITE~
Glen Rose - Sorry guys, it may be a great stadium for regular season, but not playoff games. Plus I have bad memories from 1992, 0-0 tie with Goldthwaite

Waco ISD - After getting your butt kicked in the State Semi-Finals by Sonora that's the last place I ever want to go back.

Fouts Field, Denton - The worst football stadium ever. With the Track and Jump pits you were so far away from the action was hard to get any noise going there. The locker rooms were horrible and very small, don't know how a D1 football team ever dressed in them, it was cramped for a 2A team. For the longest that old turf was basically concrete, no sponge, no give.

GrTigers6
11-15-2011, 12:24 PM
Playoffs travel wise I think is always bigger for 1A thru 3A schools because you get to go and play at bigger stadiums that you normally don't get to play at. Back when I was in High School that was the only time you got to play on turf (the old school carpet kind of turf). So where are your favorite places to go? Least favorite?

~FAVORITES~
Pennington Field, Bedford - PP's old home away from home, though we haven't played there in over 10 years. Before that from 1990 thru 2000 we probably played 15-20 games there. We got so used to that place, the facilities and security crews knew us by first names and even a few of them became Bearcat fans themselves, wearing orange and black when we would pull up to the stadium. Lot's of good memories and some bad ones from Pennington.

Memorial Stadium, Wichita Falls - I love that old bowl type setting, the ramp walk way down to the field. One of the best feelings in the world is walking down that ramp before the game starts, seeing your fans going crazy in the stands and in the victory line, still gives me chills. The way the wind whips down through the bowl and how it always seems like the weather can change in the snap of a finger there.

Birdville ISD Stadium, North Richland Hills - Basically an updated version of Pennington Field. Great playoff atmosphere for small schools.

C.H. Collins Stadium, Denton - Such a state of the art facility, I love the north endzone locker room area, only problem is no sidelines whatsoever.

Texas Stadium, Irving - Lots of good times with my grandpa and great uncle (his brother) watching games at that old dump. The stadium itself wasn't much to speak of especially in the last 10 years of the place, but it was such an atmosphere, a lot better than the new place.

~LEAST FAVORITE~
Glen Rose - Sorry guys, it may be a great stadium for regular season, but not playoff games. Plus I have bad memories from 1992, 0-0 tie with Goldthwaite

Waco ISD - After getting your butt kicked in the State Semi-Finals by Sonora that's the last place I ever want to go back.

Fouts Field, Denton - The worst football stadium ever. With the Track and Jump pits you were so far away from the action was hard to get any noise going there. The locker rooms were horrible and very small, don't know how a D1 football team ever dressed in them, it was cramped for a 2A team. For the longest that old turf was basically concrete, no sponge, no give.Ours is great for 6man thru 2a in fact we have had several people wanting to play here but all on friday while we are playing. I agree its not the best for 3a and up even though we had a 4a playoff here last year and a 5a scrimmage 3 years ago.
But its funny you mentioned the 0-0 tie here in 92. I came to that game. It was the first time I had ever been to Glen Rose and its the reason I moved here in '01. That was an awesome game by the way because both teams had the oppurtunity to win but couldnt fo whatever reason.
As far as stadiums
Favorites
Aledo's Bearcat Stadium- Nice all around stadium easy to access ample parking nice game atmosphere
Southlake Dragon Stadium- Not as easy to get to but still nice venue
Midlothian All purpose stadium- Nice venue, easy access ample parking and Not in the metroplex lol
Least favorites
Any stadium in dallas just because its in dallas lol
Brownwood Gordon Wood stadium- Nice field but needs upgrade on Stands ( like our stadium does)
Killeen stadium Killen hs - Was dirty when we played there in 09. Had several dead crickets in the restrooms and you couldnt breathe

SintonFan
11-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Alamo Stadium

Our fans know why. :(

lbjacj
11-15-2011, 12:35 PM
Alamo Stadium

HEB Stadium in Euless.

regaleagle
11-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Worst is Tyler's Rose Stadium... esp. if you have to play a team from East Texas. And the turf is not good.

mick5302
11-15-2011, 01:22 PM
The stadium in Cisco is bad, no parking, visitor stands small, old and falling apart.

Bullaholic
11-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Dragon Stadium
Mineral Wells
Justin Northwest
C.H. Collins

Not crazy about Aledo--nice facillity, but 2-lanes in and 2 out, tough when crowd is at capacity---PLUS they charge $5 for parking.

Matthew328
11-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Favorites
Grande Comm Stadium
Berry Center
Midlothian
Newsom
Kincaide
Clark Field in Plano

Least Favorite
Birdville
Stephenville
Killeen
Alamodome

SHSBulldog00
11-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Favorites

Berry Center Stadium
Waller ISD Stadium
Crusader Stadium - Strake Jesuit

Least

Veteran's Memorial Stadium - Pasadena

GrTigers6
11-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Dragon Stadium
Mineral Wells
Justin Northwest
C.H. Collins

Not crazy about Aledo--nice facillity, but 2-lanes in and 2 out, tough when crowd is at capacity---PLUS they charge $5 for parking.They didnt charge me? LOL but I was pulling the tunnel trailer!:D

Old Timer
11-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Favorites:
Gordon Wood (Classic with great history)
Ratliff (Seen many great teams play there)

Least Favorites:
Shotwell (Sat through delays caused by light/power issues too many times)

YTBulldogs
11-15-2011, 02:11 PM
Victoria Memorial Stadium, Newer Round Rock Stadium, Sam Houston University, Ratliff and of course, Cowboy Stadium.

Least fav: Alamo Stadium and Harlandale

Bosqueville
11-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Fav: Gordon Wood (of course), Hewitt Midway, Palace on Palmer (Reeves in Round Rock), Waco ISD, Aledo

Least: Lampasas, Mesquite Memorial, Red Oak, Mexia, Hillsboro, Loos in Dallas

coach
11-15-2011, 03:16 PM
I like the new Cowboy Stadium.

Midlothian
Corsicana (gotta sit home side)

I hate Waco ISD and Abe Martin

Trashman
11-15-2011, 03:37 PM
In no particular order:

Fav's

Gordon Wood
The Puncher Dome
Mustang Bowl
Waco ISD
Kinkade
Alamo Dome
Cowboy's Stadium

Least Fav's

Memorial Stadium Stephenville (visitor seating and parking sucks)
Lampassas
Cisco
P. E. Shotwell
Aledo (access)

DavidWooderson
11-15-2011, 03:42 PM
Well GRTiger6....Last time I was even in Glen Rose was 19 years ago...haha

vet93
11-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Favorite: The Mustang Bowl (Sweetwater)
Least: Shotwell Stadium (Abilene)

Bullaholic
11-15-2011, 04:16 PM
Least: Shotwell Stadium (Abilene)

Sure good to see you on here Vet93....you still getting a fortune for taking cat's and dog's temperatures? :D

GrTigers6
11-15-2011, 04:26 PM
Well GRTiger6....Last time I was even in Glen Rose was 19 years ago...hahaWe have turf now!:D

Emerson1
11-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Favorite
Cowboys Stadium
Waco ISD
Midlothian
Mesquite memorial
Tarleton - being able to walk to games helps.

Least
Floyd Casey
Kincaide
Corsicana
Round Rock

Pendragon13
11-15-2011, 04:29 PM
Least: Shotwell Stadium (Abilene)I agree that Shotwell is old and outdated, but at least you can park your car within sight distance of the stadium.:thumbsup:

Purple Rain
11-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Favorites: 1.) Floyd Casey (gotta love a stadium where your team wins back-to-back SCs!!!)

2. Gordon Wood

Saggy Aggie
11-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Favorite:

Berry center

Least favorite:

Abe Martin

* this place just plain sucks.

nobogey72
11-15-2011, 05:07 PM
favorite

Floyd Casey (won SC there)
Justin NW ( by far the most hospitable pressbox people and a great facility)
Mansfield's new stadium
Midland Grande

least favorite

Birdville (rude folks in the pressbox, and unfortunately we play there Friday night)

ccmom
11-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Aledo would be one of my favorites, if it didn't take 2 hours to get off the road leading there after the game...and if the staff had been even a little bit friendly. The stadium is nice though and we had a great game there vs China Spring.

I like Midland Grande. The atmosphere is awesome and the announcer cracks me up.

Hope we never go back to Saginaw. The parking lot is ridiulously small for a stadium that size and the concession stand ran out of EVERYTHING in the second quarter. I do mean everything, including water. The people were rude and it was not a good experience....except for the win. Maybe they just weren't prepared.

87 TIGER
11-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Favorites
Corsicana
Waco isd
Sam Houston

worst
kyle field
lampasas
grosebeck

Etsportsfan87
11-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Favorites:
Mesquite Memorial
Royce City
Kincaide

Not favorites:
Rose Stadium
EH Hanby

GrTigers6
11-15-2011, 09:05 PM
Aledo would be one of my favorites, if it didn't take 2 hours to get off the road leading there after the game...and if the staff had been even a little bit friendly. The stadium is nice though and we had a great game there vs China Spring.

I like Midland Grande. The atmosphere is awesome and the announcer cracks me up.

Hope we never go back to Saginaw. The parking lot is ridiulously small for a stadium that size and the concession stand ran out of EVERYTHING in the second quarter. I do mean everything, including water. The people were rude and it was not a good experience....except for the win. Maybe they just weren't prepared.I guess I dont have that problem since I bring the tunnel I get there an hour and a half before the game and dont leave for at least an hour after, with loading up.

Third
11-15-2011, 09:31 PM
Favorites:
Waco ISD - Waco
Heroes Stadium - San Antonio
Alamo Stadium - SA
Gustafson Stadium - SA
Buccaneer Stadium - Corpus Christi

Least Favorite:
Alamodome - SA (Don't like HS FB in stadium's that big)
Jerry World - Dallas (see above, I know kids love it but too much of a hassle for HS)

LH Panther Mom
11-15-2011, 09:33 PM
Favorite - Floyd Casey
Least favorite - Matador Stadium, Seguin

rb585
11-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Worst: Alamodome -- $10 parking, $5 cokes, and idiot employees. Crappy sight lines if they force everyone into the lower level.
I'll see where the red field at NB Canyon ranks in a couple of days.

Best: Would love to have a game at House Park because that's the only stadium in the area I can think of with no track.
Other than that, every other place is pretty generic, so I favor the places with good parking and good food nearby. Seguin and San Marcos fit that bill.

Matthew328
11-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Alamodome also charges 50 bucks for internet...what a rip off.....

Heroes is REAL nice also...forgot about that stadium went there earlier this year for Harlingen-Abilene

HEMOTOXIC
11-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Favorite:
Waller ISD
Berry Center
Waco ISD
House Park
Woodforest

Least Favorite:
Lufkin
Temple
Sam Houston State

upper20
11-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Best: East - Mineral Wells (nice new facility and it is relatively close)
South - San Angelo Stadium
West - Midland Grande

Worst: Aledo (for the reasons mentioned by others)

piratebg
11-16-2011, 09:27 AM
Alamo Stadium

You can also add Buc Stadium to that list.