PDA

View Full Version : Edna misfortune

crabman
11-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Edna's winning score on Saturday was wiped out by the new personal foul penalty. The receiver raised his hand at the three yard line on his way to the score. The ref threw the flag even though the other team had done the identical thing earlier without a flag. Put the ball on the three. 15 yard penalty moved them back to the 18. Two plays later they fumbled and never got the ball back. Game over.

I knew the rule sucked but I just didn't realize how much. One penalty should not determine the outcome of the game. NOTHING should take points off the board. Penalize the extra point or the ensuing kickoff.

Edna ended up losing 21-20

lbjacj
11-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Edna's winning score on Saturday was wiped out by the new personal foul penalty. The receiver raised his hand at the three yard line on his way to the score. The ref threw the flag even though the other team had done the identical thing earlier without a flag. Put the ball on the three. 15 yard penalty moved them back to the 18. Two plays later they fumbled and never got the ball back. Game over.

I knew the rule sucked but I just didn't realize how much. One penalty should not determine the outcome of the game. NOTHING should take points off the board. Penalize the extra point or the ensuing kickoff.

Edna ended up losing 21-20

Don't like the rule either but congrats to Blanco and good luck against Jourdanton!

Blue42
11-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Yes I heard Edna was on the bad end of more than 1 call.

Pudlugger
11-13-2011, 03:48 PM
I agree it is a bad rule. If the UIL wants to make a statement regarding showboating I agree with the idea of marking off the penalty on the kickoff rather than nullifying the td. Holding penalties, chop blocks, illegal procedure etc. all take points off the board but this seems over the top as those other penalties often have an impact on the success of the play while showboating is just a form of rudeness. I'm quite certain that player feels sick about this and would like to have a Mulligan but it's all history now.

lbjacj
11-13-2011, 03:51 PM
I agree it is a bad rule. If the UIL wants to make a statement regarding showboating I agree with the idea of marking off the penalty on the kickoff rather than nullifying the td. Holding penalties, chop blocks, illegal procedure etc. all take points off the board but this seems over the top as those other penalties often have an impact on the success of the play while showboating is just a form of rudeness. I'm quite certain that player feels sick about this and would like to have a Mulligan but it's all history now.

Heartbreaking way to end your season!

rb585
11-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Here's an idea -- don't celebrate until you're in the end zone.

Sincerely,
Leon Lett

WildTexan972
11-13-2011, 04:15 PM
raising a hand is a stupid use of this rule and shows that an official wants to be the show instead of the kids.....if a kid high steps or waves the ball back at kids chasin him or is trying to show up the other team, fine, call it.....but raising a hand in the air shows that you can't trust most of those crappy officials to get much right....

rholl
11-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Wow!!! Again it seems selective enforcement is in place

TexMike
11-13-2011, 04:40 PM

I am the last to defend the UIL on anything but this is not their rule. This is a NCAA rule.

Phil C
11-13-2011, 05:48 PM
The rule is the rule but the problem in that game may have been inconsistency of the application of it. It needs to be eliminated or at least enforce it on the kickoff and not take points off the scoreboard. I knew it was a disaster waiting to happen in a big game.

TexMike
11-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Almost every rule is applied differently so should not be a surprise if this one is as well. Regardless..it is just one play in a game of probably 100 or more.

kaorder1999
11-13-2011, 05:59 PM
nothing wrong with the rule. Dont celebrate until you cross the goaline. Simple. Very simple. In track, they are disqualified. Ive never had a prob with that either

Cowboy_Up
11-13-2011, 06:14 PM
It was horrible. I was there, right on the goal line. There was no taunt. No point at the opposition, not even a look. Their kid did the same thing, only more of a fist pump, more demonstrative, but no call.
I'm all for calling it if a kid struts, or runs to the goal line and then falls in, or any of that sort of stuff. But never braking stride and just raising your arm as you cross the goal line? How come if your the QB and you throw a pass you know is gonna score and you run down the field with both arms in the air its not a penalty? If you get a pick six break away and one of your linemen jumps up and down and puts his hands in the air, is that a penalty?

It was heart breaking.

And I'll add one more thing. Its a rule put in to stop showboating. Their fullback, a hard working kid playing his butt off, but not that athletic (know what that means) does it and no call. But an athletic kid (again, know what that means) does it and its showboating. I've been in South Texas enough to know the rules don't apply the same to everyone.
It marred what was a great game.

TexMike
11-13-2011, 06:15 PM

Edna ended up losing 21-20 At what point in the game did this happen?

And NOTHING should take points off the board? ? ? Penalties takes points off all the time, even if the foul had no role in the scoere being made.

GrTigers6
11-13-2011, 06:34 PM
There is nothing wrong with the rule I wish they would have done it years ago. What better way to get the point across then to stop the play right there. Now in saying that it should be called consistently but i would have to see both plays to say if they were the same.
Players need to know the rules and consequences.
It's funny to see how officials are perceived. Many people think they go out there and are looking for ways to screw teams out if a win. When the reality is they are out there to make sure that the game is played by the rules!

Cowboy_Up
11-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Just read Tex Mike,
No official ever makes an error, no official is ever biased or ever out of position. that's the official's credo, we're perfect, the rest of you need to be like us.

I'm telling you if I had tape of the two different kids, who look very different, entering the two endzones, with the two different calls, there has to be some officials that would be ashamed to back the calls, even with the "all officials are right" mantra no matter what. If not, we're in a sad place.

TexMike
11-13-2011, 06:44 PM
Did I say I "backed" the call?

Also, I have pointed out officiating errors here on this forum and other places. Take your blinders off.

Again, what time in the game did this call occur?

Manso/V8
11-13-2011, 07:20 PM
The coaching staff at Edna is at fault.
They need to explain and make it very clear not to do anything that could be interpreted as taunting.
If he had done that after the score it would have been a dead ball foul.
He did it at the 3 yard line, so it was a spot foul.
Rules are rules.

YTBulldogs
11-13-2011, 07:29 PM
Mike, according to the Victoria Advocate Newspaper, it happened late in 3rd quarter.

Emerson1
11-13-2011, 07:34 PM
There is nothing wrong with the rule I wish they would have done it years ago. What better way to get the point across then to stop the play right there. Now in saying that it should be called consistently but i would have to see both plays to say if they were the same.
Players need to know the rules and consequences.
It's funny to see how officials are perceived. Many people think they go out there and are looking for ways to screw teams out if a win. When the reality is they are out there to make sure that the game is played by the rules!
Why? There is no point in taking points off the board for a player raising his hand in the air. I could see if they worded it to say excessive celebration. With how criticized officials are why put even more power in their hands to influence the game?

Some refs do. You don't think of the thousands of referees that we have that at least a few of them wouldn't favor a team of one race over another?

TexMike
11-13-2011, 07:35 PM
So a call, mistake or not, in the 3d quarter "costs the game? "

TexMike
11-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Some refs do. You don't think of the thousands of referees that we have that at least a few of them wouldn't favor a team of one race over another?

I confess..I favor one race over another...I (like EVERY ref I know) favor the human race

Cowboy_Up
11-13-2011, 07:38 PM
The score was 21- 20 when the call was made. the game ended 21-20. maybe it made a change, maybe it didn't. But your a good spokesman for refs. how come you don't ask what the score was when the call wasn't made when the good kid did the same thing?

YTBulldogs
11-13-2011, 07:38 PM
So a call, mistake or not, in the 3d quarter "costs the game? "

Edna missed a 22 yard FG after that in the 4th I believe that would of won it.

44INAROW
11-13-2011, 07:41 PM
Please tread lightly on the "race" comments...... we don't want things to get out of hand here.. thanks!

lbjacj
11-13-2011, 07:42 PM
The score was 21- 20 when the call was made. the game ended 21-20. maybe it made a change, maybe it didn't. But your a good spokesman for refs. how come you don't ask what the score was when the call wasn't made when the good kid did the same thing?

What?

Emerson1
I confess..I favor one race over another...I (like EVERY ref I know) favor the human race
No one is going to admit it especially to a colleague.

TexMike
Your team had over a quarter to recover from the "bad call". The score at that point is immaterial. but if you wish to make it so then how about this. There was a 1 point difference when the "mistake" was made yet your team still was unable to overcome a single point deficit with over a quarter left. That is a pretty telling statement about the insigficance of the call in the overall scheme of things.

lbjacj
11-13-2011, 07:43 PM
Please tread lightly on the "race" comments...... we don't want things to get out of hand here.. thanks!
:iagree:

GrTigers6
11-13-2011, 07:45 PM
Why? There is no point in taking points off the board for a player raising his hand in the air. I could see if they worded it to say excessive celebration. With how criticized officials are why put even more power in their hands to influence the game?

Some refs do. You don't think of the thousands of referees that we have that at least a few of them wouldn't favor a team of one race over another?If everyone played by the rules the officials would have no influence what so ever. They make the calls they see. I have been in your shoes and since I started officiating this year i have realized a lot and have totally changed my perception of officials. Officials, as a whole, Dont want to make calls that change the outcome or take a great play away from a kid, but at the same time they are gonna make the calls that they are governed to make. I am willing to bet that official felt bad about having to throw that flag, I know because I had to do the same thing on a lower level game. But still a foul is a foul. No matter what the end result will be, as an official you can't make your calls based on what it would do to the game, you make the calls by what happened and then figure out the enforcement.

YTBulldogs
11-13-2011, 08:08 PM
No one is going to admit it especially to a colleague.

Amazing to read this.:(

Manso/V8
11-13-2011, 08:13 PM
I hate taunting.

Cowboy_Up
11-13-2011, 08:19 PM
The kid didn't taunt. Go to the 2A board and read about from some unbiased observers. he didn't taunt, he didn't strut. and he certainly didn't do anymore than the other kid did. Anyhow, I'm already getting PMs telling me to chill, but if you all think its a straight up deal down here, your wrong.

Emerson1
11-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Amazing to read this.:(

Smh.

So it's IMPOSSIBLE that of the thousands of referees who come from all walks of life that ONE of them might be racist.

Wake up.

Emerson1
11-13-2011, 08:25 PM
If everyone played by the rules the officials would have no influence what so ever. They make the calls they see. I have been in your shoes and since I started officiating this year i have realized a lot and have totally changed my perception of officials. Officials, as a whole, Dont want to make calls that change the outcome or take a great play away from a kid, but at the same time they are gonna make the calls that they are governed to make. I am willing to bet that official felt bad about having to throw that flag, I know because I had to do the same thing on a lower level game. But still a foul is a foul. No matter what the end result will be, as an official you can't make your calls based on what it would do to the game, you make the calls by what happened and then figure out the enforcement.

He shouldn't have to call it because it shouldn't be a rule.

jason
11-13-2011, 08:38 PM
how about not fumble and score a few plays later...

if the call was in the 3rd quarter then who cares, had plenty of other chances to score...

banderafan
11-13-2011, 09:02 PM
I don’t like the rule, but I guess it’s necessary. The problem is how the officials see it, and we saw first hand their poor interpretation or enforcement of the rule.
In our second game of the year against Devine (in Bandera), we had a long touchdown taken away after the runner did a forward dive and roll at the goal line was ruled as taunting/unsportsmanlike (whatever they are calling it). The call was TERRIBLE. The runner was being chased and had his foot hit by the diving Devine tackler at about the 10yd line causing the runner to start that stumbling forward fall. He did a great job keeping his feet long enough to dive and roll into the end zone.
Later in game and more than once, Devine’s J. Sadler on his way to the end zone held his hand in the air signaling number 1…….. No call. I’m not knocking Sadler. He could be pointing to the heavens in thanks, but it was more taunting-like than the fall/dive into the end zone. Like many have already said, they need to enforce the penalty on the kickoff. JMO

TexMike
11-13-2011, 09:23 PM
The kid didn't taunt. Go to the 2A board and read about from some unbiased observers. he didn't taunt, he didn't strut. and he certainly didn't do anymore than the other kid did. Anyhow, I'm already getting PMs telling me to chill, but if you all think its a straight up deal down here, your wrong.

What are you implying by "straight up deal"? What 2A board are you referring to?

ExScoop
11-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Not to get too far off the subject
My uncle used to be an high school football official (For over 15) years until the 1970s. He never had to deal with these kinds of rules. The Wharton County Junior College Athletic Director was an official for over 30 years as well before calling it quites a few years ago.
I took an officiating course from him in 1973 and ran the chains as part as the class at junior high and junior varsity games .

This might be a lesson learned.
Even took the officials test and passed my first time

yellaseeker
11-13-2011, 11:41 PM
This is a ridiculous rule. What has this game turned into? The whole point of competing is about bragging rights and those of you that think that this is a good rule are part of the problem. I usually don't like to get into mud bath's with an opinionated subject but rules like these are simply absurd and are implemented cause some wimpy idiots got their feelings hurt. It's dang football folks. I can understand excessive celebration being penalized when it impedes the progress of the game but even that should be assessed on the kick-off. I am really shocked at the number of people that back this rule. Before long, we'll be watching flag football and the players will have pacifiers stuck in their mouth. And I get sick and tired or hearing people say "well you should have done more". Well, that's bullcrap cause all that's required is to win by one point. You shouldn't expect a team to win by more than that just for the sake of overcoming a bad call or in this case a stupid rule followed by a stupid call. I see this in baseball as well and always hear, "well, we shouldn't have left it in their hands". Thing is, sometimes that is the best a team has that day and was good enough for the win if it were'nt for that stupid call that even stevie wonder could have made. I'm not down on ref's or ump's at all fore i have a few as friends. I just get tired of hearing the same ole' cliche and it doesn't work for me. And these rule's are getting out of hand. In a time with all this political correctness and every little leaguer gets a trophy and mama goes to the school cause coach is being hard on little johnny, there is no more room for lame rules in an aggressive contact sport where emotions are part of the game. Watch something that is not competitive if you don't like taunting or celebrating for pete's sake.

Manso/V8
11-13-2011, 11:55 PM
I hate taunting.

kaorder1999
11-14-2011, 12:05 AM
Ive got NO problem whatsoever with the rule. When I played, if I would have done ANYTHING to bring attention upon myself before crossing the goaline, I would have not seen the field for the rest of that game. As a coach, we were told a LONG time ago about this rule and my job as a coach is to make sure my players are aware of it and the importance of it. And guess what? My players havent broken the rule yet! They score....hand the ball to the official and we get ready for the PAT....

regaleagle
11-14-2011, 12:07 AM
All I have to say is this: enjoy what you have while you have it. Life is fleeting, and so is justice in this world in which we live. Texas high school football is one of my favorite addictions(I have many), and even though I don't always agree with certain situations, overall I realize the privilege I enjoy over many others in this world. That's all I have to say about this matter.

GrTigers6
11-14-2011, 07:01 AM
I don’t like the rule, but I guess it’s necessary. The problem is how the officials see it, and we saw first hand their poor interpretation or enforcement of the rule.
In our second game of the year against Devine (in Bandera), we had a long touchdown taken away after the runner did a forward dive and roll at the goal line was ruled as taunting/unsportsmanlike (whatever they are calling it). The call was TERRIBLE. The runner was being chased and had his foot hit by the diving Devine tackler at about the 10yd line causing the runner to start that stumbling forward fall. He did a great job keeping his feet long enough to dive and roll into the end zone.
Later in game and more than once, Devine’s J. Sadler on his way to the end zone held his hand in the air signaling number 1…….. No call. I’m not knocking Sadler. He could be pointing to the heavens in thanks, but it was more taunting-like than the fall/dive into the end zone. Like many have already said, they need to enforce the penalty on the kickoff. JMOThe rule states anything that draws attention to themselves, However it does state that if a player dives into the endzone ( with no defender within ten yards)So if that is what happened it was the wrong call. However with new rules you always have some missed calls especially when you have judgement involved. The new blocking below the waist rule took me several weeks to finally understand who can and who cant.
After saying that these officials are doing there best to interpret the rules and enforce them as needed.

GrTigers6
11-14-2011, 07:07 AM
This is a ridiculous rule. What has this game turned into? The whole point of competing is about bragging rights and those of you that think that this is a good rule are part of the problem. I usually don't like to get into mud bath's with an opinionated subject but rules like these are simply absurd and are implemented cause some wimpy idiots got their feelings hurt. It's dang football folks. I can understand excessive celebration being penalized when it impedes the progress of the game but even that should be assessed on the kick-off. I am really shocked at the number of people that back this rule. Before long, we'll be watching flag football and the players will have pacifiers stuck in their mouth. And I get sick and tired or hearing people say "well you should have done more". Well, that's bullcrap cause all that's required is to win by one point. You shouldn't expect a team to win by more than that just for the sake of overcoming a bad call or in this case a stupid rule followed by a stupid call. I see this in baseball as well and always hear, "well, we shouldn't have left it in their hands". Thing is, sometimes that is the best a team has that day and was good enough for the win if it were'nt for that stupid call that even stevie wonder could have made. I'm not down on ref's or ump's at all fore i have a few as friends. I just get tired of hearing the same ole' cliche and it doesn't work for me. And these rule's are getting out of hand. In a time with all this political correctness and every little leaguer gets a trophy and mama goes to the school cause coach is being hard on little johnny, there is no more room for lame rules in an aggressive contact sport where emotions are part of the game. Watch something that is not competitive if you don't like taunting or celebrating for pete's sake.The rule has been in place for a long time, They just changed it to a live ball foul instead of a dead ball foul. Which is what it should be anyway since it occurs while the ball is live. There is nothing wrong with getting excited, just do it without showboating. If a player taunts on a play that doesnt end in a td, They enforce it from that spot so why not on a td?

Blue42
11-14-2011, 07:31 AM
Before long the there will be a rule not to cheer after a TD because you may hurt the other fans feelings(example GO MEAN GREEN).Throw this rule out of football all together before it snowballs if it slows down the game then penalize after the score. We are turning into a country of whiney baby weenies.

Cowboy_Up
11-14-2011, 07:44 AM
The rule has been in place for a long time, They just changed it to a live ball foul instead of a dead ball foul. Which is what it should be anyway since it occurs while the ball is live. There is nothing wrong with getting excited, just do it without showboating. If a player taunts on a play that doesnt end in a td, They enforce it from that spot so why not on a td?

That's my point, there was absolutely no taunt. And I doubt it would have been a penalty had he raised his arm after he entered the endzone. If you score a TD and run toward your bench with one arm in the air, is that excessive clelebration?

Everyone wants to keep adding something in like taunting or...whatever. I'm telling you all the kid did was right before he entered the endzone was raise one arm. That's it.

If that's a penalty then every time two defensive players jump in the air and bump, it should be a flag. Every time anyone shows any emotion on the field it should be a flag.

I hate that it happened to my team. I hate even more that some actually think we need to legislate all emotion out of the game. If you show no disrespect toward your opponent, the officials, the fans, or the game; if you simply let out a little positive emotion after a huge play in a huge game, and that is enough to take away a potential game winning TD in a playoff game...then our game is in trouble.

Cowboy_Up
11-14-2011, 08:00 AM
Ive got NO problem whatsoever with the rule. When I played, if I would have done ANYTHING to bring attention upon myself before crossing the goaline, I would have not seen the field for the rest of that game. As a coach, we were told a LONG time ago about this rule and my job as a coach is to make sure my players are aware of it and the importance of it. And guess what? My players havent broken the rule yet! They score....hand the ball to the official and we get ready for the PAT....

Oh, I'll bet your kids have broken the rule, unless they've never been excited on the football field. Are you telling me you've never had a player make a big tackle and jump and show some emotion? Not stand over the offensive player and taunt, just simply jump up and fist pump? How is that not bringing attention to yourself? If you've had a kid do that, or jump in the air and bump another player, you've broken the rule. Believe me, you'll eventually find a ref that gets offended.

Your a coach? If so get ready for this to get out of hand. I can't believe you would want to put that kind of power into the officials hands.

Blue42
11-14-2011, 08:46 AM
This rule was brought to you by the killjoys whose life is so miserable that they must try to make everyone else as unhappy and insignificant as they are.

GrTigers6
11-14-2011, 08:48 AM
That's my point, there was absolutely no taunt. And I doubt it would have been a penalty had he raised his arm after he entered the endzone. If you score a TD and run toward your bench with one arm in the air, is that excessive clelebration?

Everyone wants to keep adding something in like taunting or...whatever. I'm telling you all the kid did was right before he entered the endzone was raise one arm. That's it.

If that's a penalty then every time two defensive players jump in the air and bump, it should be a flag. Every time anyone shows any emotion on the field it should be a flag.

I hate that it happened to my team. I hate even more that some actually think we need to legislate all emotion out of the game. If you show no disrespect toward your opponent, the officials, the fans, or the game; if you simply let out a little positive emotion after a huge play in a huge game, and that is enough to take away a potential game winning TD in a playoff game...then our game is in trouble.Thats exactly the point. The fact that he raised it before he entered the endzone is what made it a penalty. Its not a penalty after the score. Like chest bumping as long as its only two players.

LionFan72
11-14-2011, 08:51 AM
I am telling you it is a rule, the official saw the violation, and flagged the individual! Its is undesireable to be on the Edna end of things, but if you break the rules, you get punished! Game over! Quit sniveling!

TexMike
11-14-2011, 08:58 AM
This rule was brought to you by the killjoys whose life is so miserable that they must try to make everyone else as unhappy and insignificant as they are.

This rule was written by the NCAA coaches and athletic directors who sit on the NCAA rules committee. They write the rules.

Cowboy_Up
11-14-2011, 08:59 AM
I am telling you it is a rule, the official saw the violation, and flagged the individual! Its is undesireable to be on the Edna end of things, but if you break the rules, you get punished! Game over! Quit sniveling!

OK fine. Just one more question. When their kid fist pumped prior to going into the endzone, why was it not flagged? The official (different one then the one that made the call against Edna) was right on the goal line and less then 5 yards away.

TexMike
11-14-2011, 09:05 AM
I have spoken with someone who was sitting in the pressbox. He/she advised the same official was at the goal line on both plays but for whatever reason did not flag the act in the 1st half but did in the 2d. Both plays were long runs so it would make sense only 1 official was there and that would have been the back judge.

OldBison75
11-14-2011, 09:10 AM
People are really getting the excessive celebration penalty and the taunting part of the rules mixed up. The rules will not cause a penalty for bumping chests or congratulating a player that has just scored by hugging him or slapping backs if it is not done for so long that it affects the flow of the game. And, if the player scores and after entering the endzone he raises his hand, he will not be penalized if he dosen't direct the celebration to an opponent or the opponents stands.

What most seem to not understand is that if that player is drawing attention to himself in the field of play, before crossing the goal line, he is in violation of the rules. I had a ref friend tell me that he will not penalize the runner except for when he points at someone from the other team or is directing his attention to the other team. His example is that if the player raises his hand with the number one sign while looking over his shoulder at a defender, he will be flagged every time. Or, if he points at a defender before he crossing the goal line, he will be flagged.

My question in the particular game is this, has the coach filed a complaint with the refs or UIL? If he has not, that seems to indicate he knows that his guy violated the rule. I did not see the plays in question, but my bet is that the rules were applied in each situation and one could be seen as directed to an opponent and the other could not.

Cowboy_Up
11-14-2011, 09:14 AM
I have spoken with someone who was sitting in the pressbox. He/she advised the same official was at the goal line on both plays but for whatever reason did not flag the act in the 1st half but did in the 2d. Both plays were long runs so it would make sense only 1 official was there and that would have been the back judge.

Mike, the guy who threw the flag was the side judge on the Edna side. The guys who was closest to the Blanco player was the side judge on the Blanoc side.

correct me here if I'm incorrect.

According to the NCAA rule book, if a player makes taunting gesture TO AN OPPONENT on the way to scoring a TD, the flag will nullify the score and 15 yard penalty assesed from spot of the foul.

Is that close? and if so, if your 10 yards from the closest player and one stride before you cross the goal line you raise one arm, how is that taunting? And how is it any different then a kid who breaks free and pumps his arm as he enters the endzone? help me here? Everyon keeps say the rule is black and white, no grey area, but I would like an explantion form you. Assume what i said is correct, what do you do? Flag 'em both, neither, just the Edna kid?

Saggy Aggie
11-14-2011, 09:15 AM
I think this rule sucks. Flag the kickoff if necessary, but dont change the score of the game and take away a deserved TD.

The only way a TD should be called back was if the penalty was the reason the player was able to score (ie holding, offensive PI, etc.)

TexMike
11-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Mike, the guy who threw the flag was the side judge on the Edna side. The guys who was closest to the Blanco player was the side judge on the Blanoc side.

correct me here if I'm incorrect.

According to the NCAA rule book, if a player makes taunting gesture TO AN OPPONENT on the way to scoring a TD, the flag will nullify the score and 15 yard penalty assesed from spot of the foul.

Is that close? and if so, if your 10 yards from the closest player and one stride before you cross the goal line you raise one arm, how is that taunting? And how is it any different then a kid who breaks free and pumps his arm as he enters the endzone? help me here? Everyon keeps say the rule is black and white, no grey area, but I would like an explantion form you. Assume what i said is correct, what do you do? Flag 'em both, neither, just the Edna kid?
The neutral observer advised it was the back judge who did not flag on the 1st play and did flag on the 2d. Again, both plays were long runs, right? The only person who would have been close to goal line on a play like that is the back judge. The written rule includes much more language than the few sentences that have been mentioned in this thread. Furthermore, the rule as written does not say the only acts which are fouls are such and such. The unsportsmanlike conduct rule is open-ended and allows officials great discretion in flagging or not. There is also nothing that says if the player is within 10 yards of another he can or cannot do such and such. Anyone who says there is no gray area displays an ignorance of the rule as written and more importantly, as enforced.

Without seeing the actual plays it is impossible to say what I would or would not have done. I will say that if both players did the same exact thing, then either both are flagged or neither is flagged.

Cowboy_Up
11-14-2011, 09:21 AM
I'm out after this as people are just going to believe what they believe and there's no changing that. I was on the goal line, less then 10 yards from the kid. he did not look back, he did not break stride, he simply raised his arm one stride before he entered the end zone. I'm sure he wished he hadn't, but it was simply emotion after a big play with no showboat, taunt, or anything else.

YTBulldogs
11-14-2011, 09:24 AM
As an official, I hope they clear this up. I too see nothing wrong with raising your arm, pointing upward, when scoring a exciting TD.

This is where the problem comes in. Numerous officials see it that way, and will not call this a foul, while others, see it as taunting and will call it.

Yes, we all know, turning towards the defender at the 10, pointing at him, moonwalking into the EZ, is a taunt and will get flagged. But, I just can't see pointing upward with the proper finger, heading into the EZ is a taunt and in the spirit of what they (NCAA, Coaches) want called. Maybe I'm wrong here, but--I will never call it.

Hell, let them have some dern excitement. We as officials, must know what is "real" taunting, and what isn't.

I knew this rule was going to be a nightmare to call consistently and heartache to some team. Call "real" taunting, it's a great rule. Call just pointing upward (with proper finger) is not taunting IMO.

In fairness, in regards to this play--- I have not seen the play in question. All I have heard is what a fan stated happened and a newspaper's account in the paper. They are most often wrong. But, I do know for a fact, just pointing upward has been called a foul in college and HS games this season though. And, not called as well in the same games.

Cowboy_Up
11-14-2011, 09:34 AM
A post from the 2A board from one of Blanco's coaches....I think the important word here is "assume". I have great respect for his honesty and I don't think coaches thought the rule would be used like it was sat night.

"just so you know, rogers (14) couldn't have taunted (as someone said he did previously) as he had to get through a tight space and had both hands on the ball as he entered the end zone. NOW, on the td pass in the first half, our reciever did almost the exact same thing as the edna kid that got flagged. "why, then, did edna get flagged and blanco did not?" well, after that play, the official came to the blanco sideline and told a blanco coach (not coach rogers, for whatever reason) that if there was any more of that, there would be a flag. i would assume the edna sideline was also told, but i don't know that for a fact. i still think it's a bad rule. sometimes, a ref could read genuine emotion (which is great for the game, and they are quickly sapping from it) as taunting."

YTBulldogs
11-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Cowboy up, can you get a clip of this TD and post it here? All this chatter, someone has to have it.

Pudlugger
11-14-2011, 09:55 AM

I hate that it happened to my team. I hate even more that some actually think we need to legislate all emotion out of the game. If you show no disrespect toward your opponent, the officials, the fans, or the game; if you simply let out a little positive emotion after a huge play in a huge game, and that is enough to take away a potential game winning TD in a playoff game...then our game is in trouble.

:iagree::clap:

Pudlugger
11-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Something like this happened to La Grange once in a big game. It was 2001 in the HEB classic in the Alamo Dome. Defending 4A Champion Bay City against defending 3a Champion La Grange. The score was 3-0 Bay City in the 3rd quarter. It was a hugely competitive defensive struggle. The Black Cats were on their 35 third and long and our DE sacked the qb. When our guy got up he turned and gently tapped the qb on the top of his helmet as a friendly gesture, as if to say "sorry about that buddy". Well the ref saw it as taunting and threw a flag giving them a first down and a couple of plays latter a td on a long pass to the endzone. BC won 9-0. The penalty was a momentum shifter and played into the outcome of the game imo. I think the act should be flagrant to get the flag not questionable as in these instances as they are potential game changing calls. Let the kids play.

GrTigers6
11-14-2011, 10:10 AM

I hate that it happened to my team. I hate even more that some actually think we need to legislate all emotion out of the game. If you show no disrespect toward your opponent, the officials, the fans, or the game; if you simply let out a little positive emotion after a huge play in a huge game, and that is enough to take away a potential game winning TD in a playoff game...then our game is in trouble.The whole key to this statement is id didnt happen after a huge play, it happened during a huge play. Yes it doesnt seem like a big deal but if they allow that then where does it stop? Where do you draw the line. Except to say that no expressions of any kind before you cross. Those of yall that were at our playoff game saw 113 points scored and not one player from either team did anything before they crossed the goaline. Yes it is hard for players to restrain but it can be done and if any of you have seen my youngest son play you would know how really hard it is for him. lol
i know its hard to swallow and I believe they need to rewrite the rule to make it easier to understand and enforce without question. Officials are left with trying to interpret the rules as they see them.

GrTigers6
11-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Something like this happened to La Grange once in a big game. It was 2001 in the HEB classic in the Alamo Dome. Defending 4A Champion Bay City against defending 3a Champion La Grange. The score was 3-0 Bay City in the 3rd quarter. It was a hugely competitive defensive struggle. The Black Cats were on their 35 third and long and our DE sacked the qb. When our guy got up he turned and gently tapped the qb on the top of his helmet as a friendly gesture, as if to say "sorry about that buddy". Well the ref saw it as taunting and threw a flag giving them a first down and a couple of plays latter a td on a long pass to the endzone. BC won 9-0. The penalty was a momentum shifter and played into the outcome of the game imo. I think the act should be flagrant to get the flag not questionable as in these instances as they are potential game changing calls. Let the kids play.How about let the kids play by the rules!

YTBulldogs
11-14-2011, 10:27 AM
How about let the kids play by the rules!

Rule states: Page FR-87. Section 2 Unsportsmanlike Conduct Foul

Article 1:

(a) Pointing the finger(s), hand(s), arm(s) or ball at an opponent, or imitating the slashing of the throat.

But, the rule book also states prior to the above ruling---the above is included but not limited to.

That's what makes this impossible to call consistently.

Phil C
11-14-2011, 10:31 AM
How about let the kids play by the rules!

A good point as long as it is applied consistently. I don't like points off the board. I think if there is a penalty called the other team should have the option of having the ball on the 50 yard line if there are over 30 seconds to play and at the other teams 40 if there are less than 30 sec left in the game.

Blue42
11-14-2011, 10:37 AM
The reason that Football is the best sport in the world is because of the excitement and emotion take that out and you have something like soccer. (Hey)That may be why these new rules are being implemented the foreign countries are trying to take us over via our favorite sport.

YTBulldogs
11-14-2011, 10:40 AM
A post from the 2A board from one of Blanco's coaches....I think the important word here is "assume". I have great respect for his honesty and I don't think coaches thought the rule would be used like it was sat night.

"just so you know, rogers (14) couldn't have taunted (as someone said he did previously) as he had to get through a tight space and had both hands on the ball as he entered the end zone. NOW, on the td pass in the first half, our reciever did almost the exact same thing as the edna kid that got flagged. "why, then, did edna get flagged and blanco did not?" well, after that play, the official came to the blanco sideline and told a blanco coach (not coach rogers, for whatever reason) that if there was any more of that, there would be a flag. i would assume the edna sideline was also told, but i don't know that for a fact. i still think it's a bad rule. sometimes, a ref could read genuine emotion (which is great for the game, and they are quickly sapping from it) as taunting."

Not good IMO to call something later that you let go earlier "if" you seen it and didn't flag it earlier. You set yourself up for situations like this. Once again, this is all hearsay.

TexMike
11-14-2011, 10:44 AM
The reason that Football is the best sport in the world is because of the excitement and emotion take that out and you have something like soccer. (Hey)That may be why these new rules are being implemented the foreign countries are trying to take us over via our favorite sport.

Foreign countries do not write the rules, NCAA coaches and athletic directors write them. Are you saying football was never an emotional game until the last several years. I played it from 66 - 77 and NEVER saw a need to celebrate and taunt the way it has degenerated to today. And have you seen soccer post score celebrations??? They are way over the top and would result in a flag if done after a football score so don't blame this on the "foreigners"

YTBulldogs
11-14-2011, 10:47 AM
And have you seen soccer post score celebrations??? They are way over the top and would result in a flag if done after a football score so don't blame this on the "foreigners"

LOL. Yeah, they take their clothing off at times following a score.

TexMike
11-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Not good IMO to call something later that you let go earlier "if" you seen it and didn't flag it earlier. You set yourself up for situations like this. Once again, this is all hearsay.

There is an exception. Assume you saw somethikng in the 1st half and did not flag. At halftime you were talking to your crewmates and told them what you saw. They pointed out to you that actually was a foul and should be flagged. You cannot ignore it in the 2d half just because you screwed up in the 1st half. I am not saying that is what happened in this situation at all. i don't have a clue.

(And it works the other way as well. You might flag something in the 1st half, have a crew discussion at halftime and realize you screwed up and then NOT flag the exact same thing in the 2d half since you then knew it was not a foul)

YTBulldogs
11-14-2011, 10:51 AM
There is an exception. Assume you saw somethikng in the 1st half and did not flag. At halftime you were talking to your crewmates and told them what you saw. They pointed out to you that actually was a foul and should be flagged. You cannot ignore it in the 2d half just because you screwed up in the 1st half. I am not saying that is what happened in this situation at all. i don't have a clue.

(And it works the other way as well. You might flag something in the 1st half, have a crew discussion at halftime and realize you screwed up and then NOT flag the exact same thing in the 2d half since you then knew it was not a foul)

True Mike. But, I was basing this on what the hearsay in this case was. And, the official claims he seen it earlier, then called it later. I have no clue what really happened in this game. Sure like to see the clip.

I'm speaking in general, not good to call something like this later when you let it go earlier.

Bullaholic
11-14-2011, 10:56 AM
I am sorry that we live in a time when the TD celebration rule is necessary---I wish it wasn't, but in our society the penalties for not taking all due diligence to prevent fights or injuries among kids are just too severe to bear for ISD's and officials. I don't like the rule, but I can understand why it was necessary today. Following is an example of why rules like this are forced on all of us:

http://www.newscentralga.com/news/local/Coach-Severly-Injured-During-Fight-Between-Football-Rivals-132027808.html

Tin Cup
11-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Think about this. Let's say it's the State Championship game and it happened to you. Their team can do it but your team can't. I might not ever get over that. Even though it was 1 play in 1 game, sometimes that 1 play helps determine the outcome, especially when it takes points off the board. In my opinion the chrstbumping high fiving stuff is way more over the top. It's an emotional game and you are asking kids not to celebrate the biggest moment in their young football careers.

yellaseeker
11-14-2011, 11:40 AM
People keep stating that NCAA coaches and directors voted on this rule like everyone should agree cause they supposedly know what's best for the sport. Some of you have blinders on. That's whats wrong with a lot of things in this nation. Some peoples stupid ideology is trickling down one generation at a time. For instance, if i decided that i thought rodeo was considered tortune to animals and i expressed my belief to my children, then more than likely they will support that idea as well. Thats why this country is so tolerant to crap we use to not put up with and, i won't go any further on that. The sport is getting watered down and people are accepting what some of these idiots are seeing as a necessary rule just because they are "NCAA Coaches and Directors". Thats a poor reason to support this rule. Let the kids play!

YTBulldogs
11-14-2011, 11:42 AM
People keep stating that NCAA coaches and directors voted on this rule like everyone should agree cause they supposedly know what's best for the sport. Some of you have blinders on. That's whats wrong with a lot of things in this nation. Some peoples stupid ideology is trickling down one generation at a time. For instance, if i decided that i thought rodeo was considered tortune to animals and i expressed my belief to my children, then more than likely they will support that idea as well. Thats why this country is so tolerant to crap we use to not put up with and, i won't go any further on that. The sport is getting watered down and people are accepting what some of these idiots are seeing as a necessary rule just because they are "NCAA Coaches and Directors". Thats a poor reason to support this rule. Let the kids play!

What rules do we play by then?

pancho villa
11-14-2011, 11:49 AM
Why does everyone keep harping on a penalty that takes points off the board. All other penaltys take points off the board. Like holding, blocking in back. chop block, and many others.

GrTigers6
11-14-2011, 11:52 AM
Rule states: Page FR-87. Section 2 Unsportsmanlike Conduct Foul

Article 1:

(a) Pointing the finger(s), hand(s), arm(s) or ball at an opponent, or imitating the slashing of the throat.

But, the rule book also states prior to the above ruling---the above is included but not limited to.

That's what makes this impossible to call consistently.Thats why I said they need to make it more definite as to what is and what isnt. And what makes raising your hand not a penalty and fist pump a penalty or vice versa. It should be anything that draws attention or set of examples that are penalties and what isnt a penalty that way we dont have make that judgement.

Blue42
11-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Yes !You are correct sir

GrTigers6
11-14-2011, 11:54 AM
People keep stating that NCAA coaches and directors voted on this rule like everyone should agree cause they supposedly know what's best for the sport. Some of you have blinders on. That's whats wrong with a lot of things in this nation. Some peoples stupid ideology is trickling down one generation at a time. For instance, if i decided that i thought rodeo was considered tortune to animals and i expressed my belief to my children, then more than likely they will support that idea as well. Thats why this country is so tolerant to crap we use to not put up with and, i won't go any further on that. The sport is getting watered down and people are accepting what some of these idiots are seeing as a necessary rule just because they are "NCAA Coaches and Directors". Thats a poor reason to support this rule. Let the kids play!Those rules are the ones that the teams are governed by. wether you agree with them or not has no bearing. They are the rules, its that simple

GrTigers6
11-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Think about this. Let's say it's the State Championship game and it happened to you. Their team can do it but your team can't. I might not ever get over that. Even though it was 1 play in 1 game, sometimes that 1 play helps determine the outcome, especially when it takes points off the board. In my opinion the chrstbumping high fiving stuff is way more over the top. It's an emotional game and you are asking kids not to celebrate the biggest moment in their young football careers.No, Just telling them to wait until they cross the goalline

Tin Cup
11-14-2011, 11:56 AM
All of these are affecting the other teams ability to make the play. A hand pointed up crossing the goal line is ridiculous. Give them 15 yards on the kickoff or something.

Sorry meant to quote Pancho

yellaseeker
11-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Should not have to answer that for ya but, try just playing by rules that actually have an effect on who wins the game or the safety of the players. People, this is the kinda stuff we're up against. It's trickling down alright. I'm Done arguing the point, i see that "some" people understand where this is going. That's all for me on this subject.

Bullaholic
11-14-2011, 12:00 PM

I hear you, yellaseeker--I am an "old school" man myself--but here's how I see it without sounding like an apologist. Back in my day if some player taunted you after scoring, or made you mad, you got "even" with him by knocking the crap out of him legally on the next play. Nowadays that response can take the form of a player "blindsiding" the tauting player with his body, his hands, or even in extreme case--maybe even a removed helmet. Unlike "back in the day" players in some communities violently trash talk, taunt, and worse, via Facebook and other social media for at least the week prior to a big game. So when one player loses it and takes a retaliatory shot at a player who has taunted prior to scoring, the possibility of a bench-clearing, anything-goes-to-get-even brawl can ensue.

Cowboy_Up
No, Just telling them to wait until they cross the goalline

Do you say that to both teams or just the kids you like to flag for "showboating"

pancho villa
All of these are affecting the other teams ability to make the play. A hand pointed up crossing the goal line is ridiculous. Give them 15 yards on the kickoff or something.

Sorry meant to quote Pancho

So do you not call a holding if it happens by the sideline when the TD scores on the other side of field?

Tin Cup
11-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Gr6,

Are you saying it's ok to showboat after a score but not during the score as you cross the goaline?

GrTigers6
11-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Do you say that to both teams or just the kids you like to flag for "showboating"Thats something the coaches should tell them. Its not are job to tell them the rules.

Tin Cup
11-14-2011, 12:07 PM
So do you not call a holding if it happens by the sideline when the TD scores on the other side of field?

Absolutly a flag. Happens all the time and should be a flag even if it doesn't directly influence the play. My problem is that the rule is called inconsistently in the game discussed here. And also that a QB and other players can point up during the play but not the ball carrier. Just a dumb rule in my opinion.

Cowboy_Up
11-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Thats something the coaches should tell them. Its not are job to tell them the rules.
OK, according to the Blanco coach, they were warned for the same thing that Edna got flagged for. Please explain.

GrTigers6
11-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Gr6,

Are you saying it's ok to showboat after a score but not during the score as you cross the goaline?Im saying its less likely to be called if it stays short and just the player scoring. there is more tolerance after the score

GrTigers6
11-14-2011, 12:10 PM
OK, according to the Blanco coach, they were warned for the same thing that Edna got flagged for. Please explain.I didnt say they wont warn them just that they dont have to.

Cowboy_Up
11-14-2011, 12:15 PM
I didnt say they wont warn them just that they dont have to.

I understand, please read carefully. In the 2nd quarter, on Blanco's 2nd score of the game, Edna blew a coverage and a wide open Blanco player crossed the goal line with his arm in the air. The ref then went to the Blanco sideline and warned them not to do that again. Late in the 3rd, in what (as it turns out) would have been the final and game winning score, Edna threw a quick flare to a very fast WR who broke it and was gone as they were stacking the box in an effort to stop our D1 RB. Our WR got to the end zone 10 yards ahead of any defenders and raised his right arm as he crossed the goal line. No warning this time, a flag. Now, please explain why the refs would warn one team for what all the ref types here is calling an obvious call, and then flag the other team?

Tin Cup
11-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Im saying its less likely to be called if it stays short and just the player scoring. there is more tolerance after the score

This is what I don't get. The same action ok one minute and not the next. Keep it consistent and either allow it all or flag it EVERY SINGLE TIME. If only Edna did it and only Edna was flagged, I have no problem. Rules are rules. But you have to call it every time or never. Period!

GrTigers6
11-14-2011, 12:17 PM
This is what I don't get. The same action ok one minute and not the next. Keep it consistent and either allow it all or flag it EVERY SINGLE TIME. If only Edna did it and only Edna was flagged, I have no problem. Rules are rules. But you have to call it every time or never. Period!i agree with that, but if it occurs before the td then it is drawing more attention than after the play. Like I said before they need to redefine the rule so it is more clear what is acceptable and what is not

Emerson1
11-14-2011, 12:17 PM
If they warned the Blanco sideline then they probably warned Edna's too.

Apparently everyone knew about this warning so why did the Edna player tempt the referee?

TexMike
11-14-2011, 12:26 PM
This is the national guidance we have been given re unsportsmanlike conduct fouls:

UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT: Suggested Guidelines
Given the national attention that continues to roil around player behavior and unsportsmanlike conduct, it might be helpful for me to share some thoughts as we go forward. Calling or not calling these fouls places our officials in a difficult situation; it is the nature of the business to be criticized, and it seems especially true when we try to apply 9-2-1. These are judgment calls, as are all the decisions officials make during the action of the game.

As officials apply their judgment, perhaps these guidelines will be helpful:
• Remember that the game is one of high emotion, played by gifted teenagers who are affirmed by playing a game at which they are exceptionally talented.
• Do not be overly technical in applying this rule.
• Do allow for brief spontaneous emotional reactions at the end of a play.
• Beyond the brief, spontaneous bursts of energy, officials should flag those acts that are clearly prolonged, self-congratulatory, and making a mockery of the game.

A list of specifically prohibited acts is in (a) thru (h) on FR-122,123; this list is intended to be illustrative and not exhaustive. We can all agree that these acts are clearly intended to taunt or demean, and they should not be allowed—not only because they are written in the book, but because they offend our sense of how the game should be played. We now have enough experience with this rule to know what “feels” right and wrong. Note that most if not all of these fall outside the category of brief, spontaneous outbursts. Rather, they present themselves as taunting, self-glorification, demeaning to opponents, or showing disrespect to the opponents and the game.
When such a situation arises, I encourage officials to wait a count, take a deep breath, and assess what they feel about what they have seen.
If it feels OK, let it go.
If it feels wrong, flag it.
It will never be possible to be totally specific in writing what should and should not be allowed. But we trust our officials to be men of good judgment who know in their hearts what should and should not be allowed in the heat of an emotional game.

Rogers Redding

Cowboy_Up
11-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Mike,
That is well written and I agree with it for the most part.
It goes back to what I wrote yesterday.
One type of kid does it, it feels OK.
Another type does it, it feels wrong to some.
Its that simple. One got flagged, one didn't.
End of story for me. moving on.

Blue42
11-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Foreign countries do not write the rules, NCAA coaches and athletic directors write them. Are you saying football was never an emotional game until the last several years. I played it from 66 - 77 and NEVER saw a need to celebrate and taunt the way it has degenerated to today. And have you seen soccer post score celebrations??? They are way over the top and would result in a flag if done after a football score so don't blame this on the "foreigners"
Too funny 66 to 77 the reason you did not have this trouble is everyone wearing leather helmets and with all the concussions nobody knew what was happening (just kidding)
And the soccer thing they only score once like in a season so stands to reason.

YTBulldogs
11-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Too funny 66 to 77 the reason you did not have this trouble is everyone wearing leather helmets and with all the concussions nobody knew what was happening

Poor Mike and his leather helmet days. Truth be known, Mike is the best BJ in the game (moves better than many youngeons) and we are so lucky having him on the rules committee with TASO. Believe it are not, our training has come a long way with his leadership. We will never get all the calls right, but--Mike strives for us to.

I also know Mike will have a clip of this play in a matter of time.

TexMike
11-14-2011, 04:38 PM
It is obvious from situations like this that we still have a long ways to go to get the thing I think we all want more than anything else...consistency. With over 5,000 football officials in the State of Texas I am surprised we get as near to consistency in things as we do.

YTBulldogs
11-14-2011, 04:46 PM
It is obvious from situations like this that we still have a long ways to go to get the thing I think we all want more than anything else...consistency. With over 5,000 football officials in the State of Texas I am surprised we get as near to consistency in things as we do.

Agree. But, it's coming Mike. We will never be 100% and I will never say we have quality officials working all the games. Until the official strives to get in shape, take time and devote to improving (know the rules) and be in position to make the hard calls, we will always have chitty officials working these games. That, upsets me. I'm not perfect, and never will be. But, I try to be by continue learning and if I don't know, I contact those officials who do and try not to make the same mistake again.

GrTigers6
11-14-2011, 05:38 PM
Agree. But, it's coming Mike. We will never be 100% and I will never say we have quality officials working all the games. Until the official strives to get in shape, take time and devote to improving (know the rules) and be in position to make the hard calls, we will always have chitty officials working these games. That, upsets me. I'm not perfect, and never will be. But, I try to be by continue learning and if I don't know, I contact those officials who do and try not to make the same mistake again.I am the same way and if I miss a call I make sure I get it right if it ever happens again! I do my best and have done my homework so I don't go out there not knowing the rules. Obviously there is always some you don't know or haven't seen before. So hopefully someone on your crew does.
And I guess it paid off because I was chosen for a crew for next year! I can't wait!

teetle
11-15-2011, 10:06 AM
Tey knows it bes a rule, buts theys continue to do it anyways. Theres only one peoples to blame and athats de person who dids it. Wes wants to puts blame in wrong places. Sealy bad abouts its to. Theys shoulod be penalizes toos. :ack!::eek::ack!:

YTBulldogs
11-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Tey knows it bes a rule, buts theys continue to do it anyways. Theres only one peoples to blame and athats de person who dids it. Wes wants to puts blame in wrong places. Sealy bad abouts its to. Theys shoulod be penalizes toos. :ack!::eek::ack!:

You should write the clarification over this rule for the NCAA tettle. You make it so clear really in your special way.

Cowboy_Up
11-16-2011, 07:25 AM
http://video.l3.fbcdn.net/cfs-l3-ash4/350600/77/276498225724796_15293.mp4?oh=0ebc3478fe0200a8a2f87 59083a0c29d&oe=4EC5DC00&l3s=20111115200600&l3e=20111117201600&lh=0aadae661dd0e364b9bb0

Blanco kid looks back at defender and raises his arm as he's going in. Edna Kid sort of pulls up, Flag 'em both or neither.
I believe its all about the type of kid.

Emerson1
11-16-2011, 07:59 AM
http://video.l3.fbcdn.net/cfs-l3-ash4/350600/77/276498225724796_15293.mp4?oh=0ebc3478fe0200a8a2f87 59083a0c29d&oe=4EC5DC00&l3s=20111115200600&l3e=20111117201600&lh=0aadae661dd0e364b9bb0

Blanco kid looks back at defender and raises his arm as he's going in. Edna Kid sort of pulls up, Flag 'em both or neither.
Lol you just put a pretty big dent in Edna's argument. The blanco kid point up at the 3 yard line. The Edna kid start to high step and point up at the 7. His was ALOT more obvious and I'd you had to choose which one was worse it was the Edna kids.

Cowboy_Up
11-16-2011, 08:14 AM
Maybe, it all depends on what you see.
But if you look in slow motion, you'll see the blanco kid look back at the 9-10 yard line. He makes a couple of strides as he's looking back, then raises his arm at the five and run in from there.

the Edna kid never looks back, but does raise his arm earlier, at about the 6 yard line.

You can stop the video and go frame by frame. Take a closer look.

GrTigers6
11-16-2011, 08:14 AM

I believe its all about the type of kid.The only difference I can see is the player in white kinda high stepped and slowed his pace a little. I am guessing thats what they saw as well. Just one mans opinion

TexMike
11-16-2011, 08:20 AM

You are going to lose all credibility by this ludicrous line of "its all about the type of kid." It has NOTHING to do with that. Clearly the acts are so similar they should either both be flagged or neither be flagged. You could show this to a group of 50 officials and you will get some who will say flag both but the great majority would say flag neither. But to make some ridiculous assertion that it had anything to do with the "type of kid" just akes you look foolish. You should stay with the facts, which are on your side, and leave the "black helicopter" BS to others. I don't even want to know what you meany by "type of kid".

Emerson1
11-16-2011, 08:22 AM
Maybe, it all depends on what you see.
But if you look in slow motion, you'll see the blanco kid look back at the 9-10 yard line. He makes a couple of strides as he's looking back, then raises his arm at the five and run in from there.

the Edna kid never looks back, but does raise his arm earlier, at about the 6 yard line.

You can stop the video and go frame by frame. Take a closer look.

Its not against the rules to look backwards and make sure you aren't about to get it.

The Esna kid started to high step at the 7, he was lucky they only flagged him to the 3.

pancho villa
11-16-2011, 08:27 AM

You sound so foolish saying “it is a certain type of kid” Bottom line if the Edna kid would not have done it if would all be a moot point.

ccmom
11-16-2011, 08:34 AM
The only difference I can see is the player in white kinda high stepped and slowed his pace a little. I am guessing thats what they saw as well. Just one mans opinion The difference I see is that the Blanco kid turned to the defender and then raised his arm. I agree that the Edna kid did "kinda" high step...but just kinda. In hindsight, I think both should have been either called or not. However, these officials do the best they can in real time and react based on what they perceive at that very moment. I'm quite sure the official was only thinking about what was taking place during that particular play, without making comparisons to what had happened when Blanco scored...which is of course what he should do.

By the way GR...I only quoted you to "kinda" agree. I'm not arguing with your opinion. Just adding my two cents.

The way I look at it, it was obviously a game that was pretty evenly matched if it came down to a difference of one score. Tough to lose those kind of games, but only one team can win. Much like when Wylie lost to Prosper in double OT in the semis...many people thought the final call was controversial and cost us the game. Although I hated to lose, in my opinion, if Wylie had been the clear winner, overtime would have never come into play. One call does not cost a superior team a game. Sometimes two good teams battle it out, and one good team loses.

Matthew328
11-16-2011, 09:06 AM
There's not enough difference in either play IMO....if the Blanco sideline was warned the Edna sideline should have been warned....if the Edna sideline was not warned that's a HUGE failure on the officials part to communicate....

If Edna's sideline was warned then there's not much else you can say...in hindsight this is a perfect example of the rule not being enforced consistently..this was week 11 both teams are well aware of the rule...either flag it both times or don't flag it all...flagging one and not the other when the difference is minimal at best is not good...

GrTigers6
11-16-2011, 09:27 AM
The difference I see is that the Blanco kid turned to the defender and then raised his arm. I agree that the Edna kid did "kinda" high step...but just kinda. In hindsight, I think both should have been either called or not. However, these officials do the best they can in real time and react based on what they perceive at that very moment. I'm quite sure the official was only thinking about what was taking place during that particular play, without making comparisons to what had happened when Blanco scored...which is of course what he should do.

By the way GR...I only quoted you to "kinda" agree. I'm not arguing with your opinion. Just adding my two cents.

The way I look at it, it was obviously a game that was pretty evenly matched if it came down to a difference of one score. Tough to lose those kind of games, but only one team can win. Much like when Wylie lost to Prosper in double OT in the semis...many people thought the final call was controversial and cost us the game. Although I hated to lose, in my opinion, if Wylie had been the clear winner, overtime would have never come into play. One call does not cost a superior team a game. Sometimes two good teams battle it out, and one good team loses.Well see I saw that as him looking to see how close the defender was before he raised his arm. I hope the official warned him afterwards since he didnt flag him. but also he should have warned the other sideline as well< if he didnt anyway. Im not sure on the intensity of the game at either moment maybe that pursaded him to make the call the second time or he warned them both. I dont know I personally dont know what I would have done. A lot of it is in the heat pof the moment instinct type of calls and you have to stay with them if you call them.

TheDOCTORdre
11-16-2011, 09:42 AM
I just can't believe that this happened towards the end of the 3rd quarter and is being used as an excuse for losing the game...

Two plays later they fumbled

Don't fumble

and never got the ball back. Game over.

what the hell happened that Edna wasn't able to get the ball back again? If that's the case kudos to a whole quarter of ball control by Blanco

Edna missed a 22 yard FG after that in the 4th I believe that would of won it.

oh wait, they still had a chance to win the game and couldn't

Don't be blaming the "KKK" :rolleyes: refs because Edna couldn't win

BEAST
11-16-2011, 10:44 AM
When I watched in regular speed, the Edna kid looked far worse than the Blanco kid. In slow motion, I totally did a 180° turn on my opinion. Problem is, the refs dont get to see it in slow motion. Tough break.

BEAST

Saggy Aggie
11-16-2011, 10:51 AM
I think Edna got screwed. Sure they had opportunities to make it up, but a call like that seems pretty deflating after finally scoring in a defensive game.

Fact of the matter is, Edna should have had 6 more points on the board and now they're sitting at home. You can't not flag the earlier one and then flag it later. That's bs.

Manso/V8
11-16-2011, 11:10 AM
I hate taunting.

Emerson1
11-16-2011, 11:53 AM
I still don't get why people care. Stop the other guy if you don't want to be made to look like a fool.

LIONS#1
11-16-2011, 12:30 PM
This is a ridiculous rule. What has this game turned into? The whole point of competing is about bragging rights and those of you that think that this is a good rule are part of the problem. I usually don't like to get into mud bath's with an opinionated subject but rules like these are simply absurd and are implemented cause some wimpy idiots got their feelings hurt. It's dang football folks. I can understand excessive celebration being penalized when it impedes the progress of the game but even that should be assessed on the kick-off. I am really shocked at the number of people that back this rule. Before long, we'll be watching flag football and the players will have pacifiers stuck in their mouth. And I get sick and tired or hearing people say "well you should have done more". Well, that's bullcrap cause all that's required is to win by one point. You shouldn't expect a team to win by more than that just for the sake of overcoming a bad call or in this case a stupid rule followed by a stupid call. I see this in baseball as well and always hear, "well, we shouldn't have left it in their hands". Thing is, sometimes that is the best a team has that day and was good enough for the win if it were'nt for that stupid call that even stevie wonder could have made. I'm not down on ref's or ump's at all fore i have a few as friends. I just get tired of hearing the same ole' cliche and it doesn't work for me. And these rule's are getting out of hand. In a time with all this political correctness and every little leaguer gets a trophy and mama goes to the school cause coach is being hard on little johnny, there is no more room for lame rules in an aggressive contact sport where emotions are part of the game. Watch something that is not competitive if you don't like taunting or celebrating for pete's sake.

:iagree: What Yellafella said!!!:iagree::iagree::iagree:

LIONS#1
11-16-2011, 12:33 PM
all this PC BS is killing the game as well as our country...but that is another topic all together...:1popcorn: Just Sayin!!

GrTigers6
11-16-2011, 01:08 PM
This is a ridiculous rule. What has this game turned into? The whole point of competing is about bragging rights and those of you that think that this is a good rule are part of the problem. I usually don't like to get into mud bath's with an opinionated subject but rules like these are simply absurd and are implemented cause some wimpy idiots got their feelings hurt. It's dang football folks. I can understand excessive celebration being penalized when it impedes the progress of the game but even that should be assessed on the kick-off. I am really shocked at the number of people that back this rule. Before long, we'll be watching flag football and the players will have pacifiers stuck in their mouth. And I get sick and tired or hearing people say "well you should have done more". Well, that's bullcrap cause all that's required is to win by one point. You shouldn't expect a team to win by more than that just for the sake of overcoming a bad call or in this case a stupid rule followed by a stupid call. I see this in baseball as well and always hear, "well, we shouldn't have left it in their hands". Thing is, sometimes that is the best a team has that day and was good enough for the win if it were'nt for that stupid call that even stevie wonder could have made. I'm not down on ref's or ump's at all fore i have a few as friends. I just get tired of hearing the same ole' cliche and it doesn't work for me. And these rule's are getting out of hand. In a time with all this political correctness and every little leaguer gets a trophy and mama goes to the school cause coach is being hard on little johnny, there is no more room for lame rules in an aggressive contact sport where emotions are part of the game. Watch something that is not competitive if you don't like taunting or celebrating for pete's sake.Its a good thing you dont write the rules, if so we would have to change the name football to boxing. Taunting leads to fights, its that simple. If you let a player get away with something they will push the limit further the next time.Then the other team when they score will try to match or beat what their opponent did. Its human nature. So you cant say that taunting should be ok, That would really destroy the game. As far as taking away from the score. If the player grabbed the facemask and pulled the defender to the ground as he was going into the endzone. is it fair that they go ahead and give him the td. Absolutely not. Its the exact same thing. Live ball foul enforced from the spot.Its that simple
Now as far as what is considered unsportsmanlike is what needs to be clarified.

Cowboy_Up
11-16-2011, 02:15 PM
GR,
you and others keep comparing the call to a "regular" foul. If that's the case, do you let the first facemask grab go, warn the players and throw a flag on the second? I doubt it. I'm guessing if you see it you call it. Same with every other call. In this case the same official was right there and saw it all in both instances. He decided one was OK and one was not. I would have no issue with the officials throwing flags on both scoring plays, or neither scoring play. But when you decide that "taunting" has different levels, that the way one kid does it is OK and the way another does it is worth taking points off the board, then we would like to hear why you see it like that. We've emailed the officials chapter and asked for a explanation. They, of course, have not responded and will not respond for they are above all questioning.

It was a very close game and taking points off the board was a huge deal. Maybe the lead holds up, or maybe Blanco scores again and wins. We'll never know. But what we do know is their kid did it, no flag, TD good. Our kid did it, flag, TD no good.
a lot of people have a hard time understanding that logic. One thing for sure, I doubt you'll see any kids on any teams doing anything before they run into the endzone the rest of this year. That would have been the outcome had the official decided to penalize the first infraction as well, but apparently that one didn't bother him.

GrTigers6
11-16-2011, 02:49 PM
GR,
you and others keep comparing the call to a "regular" foul. If that's the case, do you let the first facemask grab go, warn the players and throw a flag on the second? I doubt it. I'm guessing if you see it you call it. Same with every other call. In this case the same official was right there and saw it all in both instances. He decided one was OK and one was not. I would have no issue with the officials throwing flags on both scoring plays, or neither scoring play. But when you decide that "taunting" has different levels, that the way one kid does it is OK and the way another does it is worth taking points off the board, then we would like to hear why you see it like that. We've emailed the officials chapter and asked for a explanation. They, of course, have not responded and will not respond for they are above all questioning.

It was a very close game and taking points off the board was a huge deal. Maybe the lead holds up, or maybe Blanco scores again and wins. We'll never know. But what we do know is their kid did it, no flag, TD good. Our kid did it, flag, TD no good.
a lot of people have a hard time understanding that logic. One thing for sure, I doubt you'll see any kids on any teams doing anything before they run into the endzone the rest of this year. That would have been the outcome had the official decided to penalize the first infraction as well, but apparently that one didn't bother him.I am not condoning him for not flagging the first. I would have a hard time calling the second if I didnt flag the first. The only way that should happen is if one happened in the first half and the officials told him he should have called it. then more than likely he will the next time he sees it. If it was me I would have told both coaches at halftime that it will be called the next time. Believe me I understand your pain. I am just trying to help you understand where the official is coming from. Not trying to argue wether he should have called it or not. Thats a judgment call based on many factors. And I wasnt trying to say that the fouls were the same just the same result. The facemask is a much easier call to make. Either he grabbed and pulled or he didnt. Its pretty straight forward. I just used it because it could happen and it has the same penalty with it.

Manso/V8
11-16-2011, 07:30 PM
I agree with every post that GrTigers6 has made on this topic.

GrTigers6
11-16-2011, 07:47 PM
I agree with every post that GrTigers6 has made on this topic.Dang it! I said dont make it obvious!:D

banderafan
11-16-2011, 11:25 PM
There's not enough difference in either play IMO....if the Blanco sideline was warned the Edna sideline should have been warned....if the Edna sideline was not warned that's a HUGE failure on the officials part to communicate....

If Edna's sideline was warned then there's not much else you can say...in hindsight this is a perfect example of the rule not being enforced consistently..this was week 11 both teams are well aware of the rule...either flag it both times or don't flag it all...flagging one and not the other when the difference is minimal at best is not good...

Absolutley not enough difference to flag one team and not the other!

Emerson1
11-17-2011, 12:19 AM
He high stepped into the endzone. Had he just pointed he probably wouldn't have been flagged. Not sure why people are still complaining about it.

yellaseeker
11-17-2011, 12:54 AM
Its a good thing you dont write the rules, if so we would have to change the name football to boxing. Taunting leads to fights, its that simple. If you let a player get away with something they will push the limit further the next time.Then the other team when they score will try to match or beat what their opponent did. Its human nature. So you cant say that taunting should be ok, That would really destroy the game. As far as taking away from the score. If the player grabbed the facemask and pulled the defender to the ground as he was going into the endzone. is it fair that they go ahead and give him the td. Absolutely not. Its the exact same thing. Live ball foul enforced from the spot.Its that simple
Now as far as what is considered unsportsmanlike is what needs to be clarified.

Man, where do i start......... Well first off, I like boxing as well. They have rules too even though guys are in that ring beating the $hit out of each other. Don't see a no taunting rule though. Ali and Ray leonard are two of my favorites which were good at taunting. In the event that kicking, elbowing, head butting, biting, etc, happens in the ring, there could be points deducted or a disqualification handed out. Seen all of these happen before without anyone taunting starting it. Now, if you can be in a boxing match and put up with taunting without a brawl and no one gets killed, then i think we're pretty safe in football with a little taunting/showboating/celebrating. We already have penalties for fighting on the field and ref's have the authority to eject players that can't manage their attitudes. I've seen way more players get PO'd for chop blocks, holding and trash talking than any celebration or so called taunting. Now on to the second part............ I'm not sure if you know the difference between apples and oranges because if you did, you would not be trying to compare them. Comparing an arm raised in the air a few yards from the endzone has nothing to do with physical contact with a defensive player on the way in. The argument is there as to whether the face mask prevented a tackle. I guess you could say that when the kid raised his arm in the air it caused the defensive player to slow down because he was so upset that he began to cry and slipped in his own tears. LMAO! It's obvious that you don't see it the way I do and I can promise you that I will never agree with your idealoligy. It just humors me how you and a few others try to justify this. There is simply no way to make something so ridiculous make any kind of sense but, the rule is in place. One things for sure, it SUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and some folks oughta have their arse kicked for voting it in. I guess i lied about it being my last post before but, this is my last post on this one for sure so bash away.

GrTigers6
11-17-2011, 05:30 AM
Man, where do i start......... Well first off, I like boxing as well. They have rules too even though guys are in that ring beating the $hit out of each other. Don't see a no taunting rule though. Ali and Ray leonard are two of my favorites which were good at taunting. In the event that kicking, elbowing, head butting, biting, etc, happens in the ring, there could be points deducted or a disqualification handed out. Seen all of these happen before without anyone taunting starting it. Now, if you can be in a boxing match and put up with taunting without a brawl and no one gets killed, then i think we're pretty safe in football with a little taunting/showboating/celebrating. We already have penalties for fighting on the field and ref's have the authority to eject players that can't manage their attitudes. I've seen way more players get PO'd for chop blocks, holding and trash talking than any celebration or so called taunting. Now on to the second part............ I'm not sure if you know the difference between apples and oranges because if you did, you would not be trying to compare them. Comparing an arm raised in the air a few yards from the endzone has nothing to do with physical contact with a defensive player on the way in. The argument is there as to whether the face mask prevented a tackle. I guess you could say that when the kid raised his arm in the air it caused the defensive player to slow down because he was so upset that he began to cry and slipped in his own tears. LMAO! It's obvious that you don't see it the way I do and I can promise you that I will never agree with your idealoligy. It just humors me how you and a few others try to justify this. There is simply no way to make something so ridiculous make any kind of sense but, the rule is in place. One things for sure, it SUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and some folks oughta have their arse kicked for voting it in. I guess i lied about it being my last post before but, this is my last post on this one for sure so bash away.Read my previous post, I said I wasnt trying to compare the fouls just demonstrating another way the points would be taken off.

29-3aFAN
11-28-2011, 12:27 AM
http://www.advosports.com/news/2011/nov/26/mf_onsports_112411_159578/

Manso/V8
11-28-2011, 12:41 AM
http://www.advosports.com/news/2011/nov/26/mf_onsports_112411_159578/

They should have called taunting on both plays.

Matthew328
11-28-2011, 12:41 AM
watched both videos and flags shouldn't have been called for either or both...refs flat out blew it IMO there's not enough difference in those 2 plays to warrant a flag for one and not the other

Manso/V8
11-28-2011, 01:30 AM
watched both videos and flags shouldn't have been called for either or both...refs flat out blew it IMO there's not enough difference in those 2 plays to warrant a flag for one and not the other

I agree that both should have received a flag or neither should have received a flag......the fact that one didn't get a flag and the other did was a big injustice. IMO, both should have drawn a flag, but that is just my opinion......and I am not a ref.

Txbroadcaster
11-28-2011, 06:42 AM
Abilene almost lost this week because of a taunting call when their RB dove into the endzone when no one was near him..would have made the score 24-7...they ended up not scoring and had to hang on 25-22

sshoom
11-28-2011, 09:02 AM
I am the last to defend the UIL on anything but this is not their rule. This is a NCAA rule.

Correct, the rule is an NCAA rule, which Texas high schools are governed by.

Matthew328
11-28-2011, 09:04 AM
I got no issue with the rule, just the enforcement of the rule in this situation

nobogey72
11-28-2011, 09:08 AM
Abilene almost lost this week because of a taunting call when their RB dove into the endzone when no one was near him..would have made the score 24-7...they ended up not scoring and had to hang on 25-22

Yeah I was there. I wouldn't say that no one was near him though. And, I would add that he had no way of knowing if someone was right on his heels or not. However, the rule is the rule, and I can promise you nobody from Abilene High will ever dive across the endzone again.

pancho villa
11-28-2011, 09:13 AM
Man, where do i start......... Well first off, I like boxing as well. They have rules too even though guys are in that ring beating the $hit out of each other. Don't see a no taunting rule though. Ali and Ray leonard are two of my favorites which were good at taunting. In the event that kicking, elbowing, head butting, biting, etc, happens in the ring, there could be points deducted or a disqualification handed out. Seen all of these happen before without anyone taunting starting it. Now, if you can be in a boxing match and put up with taunting without a brawl and no one gets killed, then i think we're pretty safe in football with a little taunting/showboating/celebrating. We already have penalties for fighting on the field and ref's have the authority to eject players that can't manage their attitudes. I've seen way more players get PO'd for chop blocks, holding and trash talking than any celebration or so called taunting. Now on to the second part............ I'm not sure if you know the difference between apples and oranges because if you did, you would not be trying to compare them. Comparing an arm raised in the air a few yards from the endzone has nothing to do with physical contact with a defensive player on the way in. The argument is there as to whether the face mask prevented a tackle. I guess you could say that when the kid raised his arm in the air it caused the defensive player to slow down because he was so upset that he began to cry and slipped in his own tears. LMAO! It's obvious that you don't see it the way I do and I can promise you that I will never agree with your idealoligy. It just humors me how you and a few others try to justify this. There is simply no way to make something so ridiculous make any kind of sense but, the rule is in place. One things for sure, it SUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and some folks oughta have their arse kicked for voting it in. I guess i lied about it being my last post before but, this is my last post on this one for sure so bash away.

If a player was about to run into the end zone took his helmet off, gave the other team the finger, yelled F-U you M-fers, and pulled his pants down that would be ok with you?

Txbroadcaster
11-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Yeah I was there. I wouldn't say that no one was near him though. And, I would add that he had no way of knowing if someone was right on his heels or not. However, the rule is the rule, and I can promise you nobody from Abilene High will ever dive across the endzone again.

he has no reason to dive..he even semi-flipped as he did the dive..I dont like the points being taken off the board, but he was not diving to avoid anyone..closest guy was 10 yards away

nobogey72
11-28-2011, 09:16 AM
If a player was about to run into the end zone took his helmet off, gave the other team the finger, yelled F-U you M-fers, and pulled his pants down that would be ok with you?

Didn't Desean Jackson do that one time?

Cowboy_Up
11-28-2011, 02:21 PM

If a player directs actions at the other team...pointing at them while running in...holding the ball behind them...running in backwards...if they taunt, call it.

I find it funny how many coaches agree with the call. They want their kids to play hard, with fire in their belly. they give impassioned halftime speeches, rant about the playoffs during off season work outs, do all they can to fire up their teams and get them ready to play with great desire and emotion during the big important games. Then, during those games you'll always see coaches running around like crazy men, hollering all kinds of crap (I've worked the chains, I've heard it), running out on the field all the damn time, making a skeptical of themselves, then they adopt this holier than thou crap when a call like this is made, or in this case not flagged, and then flagged. Yeah kids, play your guts out but keep all that positive emotion bottled up.

Just wait until the NCAA gets tired of all the coach rants and decides to flag 'em every time they step on the field. If we're going to take all the positive emotion out of the game then lets get the coaches under control as well. That's when we'll hear all about how emotional a game it is.

Go watch Refugio play Sonora this Friday night and tell me which is worse, a kid making a big play and sticking his arm in the air as he crosses the goal line or a crazed maniac running all over the place yelling at everything in sight. I guarantee the coaches can do what ever they want and pretty much act any way they want and get away with it. there are rules against what they do too, but everyone just looks the other way. Do as I say, not as I do.

teetle
11-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Theys wases warneds before iwts happened. The Ref warned eaches teams. Obviously Edna dints listen. Coach Pierce a good man. He donts bes teaching that. Water under de bridge. Playings Basketsballs justed like Sealy. Learn ands moves on.:ack!::eek::ack!:

Emerson1
11-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Theys wases warneds before iwts happened. The Ref warned eaches teams. Obviously Edna dints listen. Coach Pierce a good man. He donts bes teaching that. Water under de bridge. Playings Basketsballs justed like Sealy. Learn ands moves on.:ack!::eek::ack!:
wth does this say?

Manso/V8
11-28-2011, 11:18 PM
I personally don't care for self-congratulatory actions or gestures in an attempt to draw attention to oneself, especially in high school football.
We see a lot of it in the pros, way more than we used to, and it is a joke, not exactly model citizenship.
This type of attitude has crept in to youth culture over the years.
I have to bite my tongue daily to keep from responding with a description of reality to dorky teenagers bragging about their faux "swag" in things they say or post on Facebook.

The football field is one place we can teach kids how to compete with class.

pancho villa
11-29-2011, 08:22 AM
If a player directs actions at the other team...pointing at them while running in...holding the ball behind them...running in backwards...if they taunt, call it.

I find it funny how many coaches agree with the call. They want their kids to play hard, with fire in their belly. they give impassioned halftime speeches, rant about the playoffs during off season work outs, do all they can to fire up their teams and get them ready to play with great desire and emotion during the big important games. Then, during those games you'll always see coaches running around like crazy men, hollering all kinds of crap (I've worked the chains, I've heard it), running out on the field all the damn time, making a skeptical of themselves, then they adopt this holier than thou crap when a call like this is made, or in this case not flagged, and then flagged. Yeah kids, play your guts out but keep all that positive emotion bottled up.

Just wait until the NCAA gets tired of all the coach rants and decides to flag 'em every time they step on the field. If we're going to take all the positive emotion out of the game then lets get the coaches under control as well. That's when we'll hear all about how emotional a game it is.

Go watch Refugio play Sonora this Friday night and tell me which is worse, a kid making a big play and sticking his arm in the air as he crosses the goal line or a crazed maniac running all over the place yelling at everything in sight. I guarantee the coaches can do what ever they want and pretty much act any way they want and get away with it. there are rules against what they do too, but everyone just looks the other way. Do as I say, not as I do.

LOL now it is the coaches fault.

YTBulldogs
11-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Quote Originally Posted by teetle View Post
Theys wases warneds before iwts happened. The Ref warned eaches teams. Obviously Edna dints listen. Coach Pierce a good man. He donts bes teaching that. Water under de bridge. Playings Basketsballs justed like Sealy. Learn ands moves on.

wth does this say?--Emerson

In teetle terms, means move on folks. You were warned not to do it.

ccmom
11-29-2011, 08:56 AM
LOL now it is the coaches fault. Don't make a "skeptical" of yourself, Pancho. :)

(couldn't help myself :))

YTBulldogs
11-29-2011, 09:00 AM
Must admit, a no call was the call though.

Manso/V8
11-29-2011, 09:11 AM
wth does this say?
Emerson1 - teetle has a unique posting/writing style that you will learn to like with time, he usually has something good to say and stays positive.

Cowboy_Up
11-29-2011, 09:23 AM
Don't make a "skeptical" of yourself, Pancho. :)

(couldn't help myself :))

Caught that too late to edit....sometimes the auto correct gets ya

Cowboy_Up
11-29-2011, 09:25 AM
Must admit, a no call was the call though.

I have two friends that officiate. They said TASO sent out the video to all refs (don't know that for a fact, 2nd hand info) and advised that it was the wrong interpretation of the rule. Know anything about that?

YTBulldogs
11-29-2011, 09:34 AM
I have two friends that officiate. They said TASO sent out the video to all refs (don't know that for a fact, 2nd hand info) and advised that it was the wrong interpretation of the rule. Know anything about that?

TASO has not sent it out yet, stating that.

playnhurt
11-29-2011, 10:21 AM
I am an ex-official and have been coaching for 25+ years. I've said it for years that if you want to get the showboating out of the game, take the touchdown away. Except I've always thought it should be a previous spot foul, then the coaches would see to it that the players were well aware of the rule.

Now before some get their panties in a wad, I wouldn't have called either kid for what they did. This was not SHOWBOATING, but a bad interpretation by an official! And as for the Edna kid high-stepping into the endzone, it looks to me like he was just trying to slow down not high-stepping.

FACT- Edna got hosed IMO.

YTBulldogs
11-29-2011, 10:48 AM
Cowboy_Up, I did some checking. And, the Houston TASO Chapter (not the chapter that called this game by the way) did send out an email to it's members, stating this action should not be called. I know officials from the Hou chapter lives in Edna, so this might be what your referring to.

TASO didn't send out anything yet, in regards.

Cowboy_Up
11-29-2011, 11:24 AM
YT, yes that's the case, thanks.

pancho, I don't think its the coach's fault. But if you and others are going to take the high road and say kids should never show any emotion, then shouldn't the coaches lead by example.

I'm a lot more offended watching some of the rabid coaches I see running all over the place screaming for a call on every play then I am a kid raising his arm as he runs across the goaline. If your going to demand a certain behavior, and your the leader of the group, shouldn't you do the same?