PDA

View Full Version : Van vs Gilmer

Buckeye80
11-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Allright icu812. Let's do this. (10-1) Van Vandals vs (11-0) Gilmer Buckeyes Friday night at Lobo.

Do the Vandals avenge the thrashing from last year's second round? Or do the Buckeyes continue to march toward a titanic Reg II Final showdown?

The Vandals are a year older and more experienced. The Buckeyes are playing game to game trying to keep all the pieces intact.

Hit me! :)

icu812
11-13-2011, 02:07 PM
After watching both teams here is how I see it. I'll list the position and which team has the advantage. It would probably be better to match up Van's D-line vs. Gilmer's O-line etc.. but I'll start with just the positions.

Offense - Van averaging 43.5 points through 10 games - Gilmer 38.3

QB = Van - this isn't close Smallwood leads this area in passing yards (just ahead of the Henderson QB) 2,694 passing yards 30 td's 5 int's

Receivers = Equal - although I'm giving the Bucks the benifit of the doubt because they didn't get a chance to show much against Atl, the Vandal receivers are very good.

O-line = Equal - Gilmer's o-line looked a little flabby to me but seems to get the job done :-)

RB = Gilmer - this isn't close Gilmer has several good RB's - that freshman is impressive - which is why Van doens't run much, our first rushing attempt came with 6 min. left in 2nd Q last week

Defense - Van only allowing 16.9 points - don't know about Gilmer

D-line = Van and it isn't close - 4 players combining for over 30 sacks - anchored by a D1 talent in Jr. Sid Moore #44

LB'ers = Van and it isn't close - Van has 3 studs at LB - everyone know about ESPN's #1 ILB in country but the other two are about 195-200lbs & 215-220lbs and can run very well - interesting note LB Hunter Hopkins is one of the best javalin throwers in the NATION, 2nd best for his age group I believe, kid is a stud

Corners = Gilmer giving them the benifit of the doubt because they were not tested much against Atl but I saw receivers running open and a pass int. where the db never looked back

Safety's - Equal - Van has two good S's including a 6'3" sophmore

Other

System = Gilmer - they have been coaching the same system much longer than Van

Coaching = Gilmer - only because the coaches have been there and done that together as a group - Van's coach has won a ring as OC at Denton Ryan and he is making a difference in Van - interesting note Van's OC is Graham Harrell's brother

Should be a great game if Gilmer brings their "A" game :stirpot:

Buckeye80
11-13-2011, 02:09 PM
After watching both teams here is how I see it. I'll list the position and which team has the advantage. It would probably be better to match up Van's D-line vs. Gilmer's O-line etc.. but I'll start with just the positions.

Offense - Van averaging 43.5 points through 10 games - Gilmer 38.3

QB = Van - this isn't close Smallwood leads this area in passing yards (just ahead of the Henderson QB) 2,694 passing yards 30 td's 5 int's

Receivers = Equal - although I'm giving the Bucks the benifit of the doubt because they didn't get a chance to show much against Atl, the Vandal receivers are very good.

O-line = Equal - Gilmer's o-line looked a little flabby to me but seems to get the job done :-)

RB = Gilmer - this isn't close Gilmer has several good RB's - that freshman is impressive - which is why Van doens't run much, our first rushing attempt came with 6 min. left in 2nd Q last week

Defense - Van only allowing 16.9 points - don't know about Gilmer

D-line = Van and it isn't close - 4 players combining for over 30 sacks - anchored by a D1 talent in Jr. Sid Moore #44

LB'ers = Van and it isn't close - Van has 3 studs at LB - everyone know about ESPN's #1 ILB in country but the other two are about 195-200lbs & 215-220lbs and can run very well - interesting note LB Hunter Hopkins is one of the best javalin throwers in the NATION, 2nd best for his age group I believe, kid is a stud

Corners = Gilmer giving them the benifit of the doubt because they were not tested much against Atl but I saw receivers running open and a pass int. were the db never looked back

Safety's - Equal - Van has two good S's including a 6'3" sophmore

Other

System = Gilmer - they have been coaching the same system much longer than Van

Coaching = Gilmer - only because the coaches have been there and done that together as a group - Van's coach has won a ring as OC at Denton Ryan and he is making a difference in Van - interesting note Van's OC is Graham Harrell's brother

Should be a great game if Gilmer brings their "A" game :stirpot:

At least you're not too much of a "homer"! Ha ha!!! ;)

icu812
11-13-2011, 02:13 PM
those are my unbiased homer observations!!!

Buckeye80
11-13-2011, 02:29 PM
The match-ups are as follows:

Van passing attack: Tremendous use of the field. Accurate passer and often confusing scheme. Tremendous hands. No break away speed, but impressive possession receivers.
VS
Gilmer secondary: Ball hawking defense with 15 interceptions on the season. Secondary plays their positions well. Almost always in position to make plays on the ball. Very "sticky" coverage guys.

Van D-line: One of the top 5 defensive lines in the state at the 3A level. Went toe-to-toe with Lindale's behemoth offensive line and showed well. Impenetrable wall against the run. Very capable pass rushers. Put a lot of pressure on opposing offensive lines.
VS
Gilmer O-line: Unsung heroes of this team. Our "flabby" (lol) linemen have given both QB's incredible protection this year. Block the zone read and jet sweep extremely well. Athletic bunch of over achievers. Not huge, but not tiny.

Van LB's: What is there really to say? Studs, studs, studs!!! Football IQ through the roof! In on seemingly every tackle. Uber impressive bunch!!
VS
Gilmer play-calling: Keeping teams off balance is a calling card for the Buckeyes. One of the few teams with a "wide open" playbook. Excellent at adjusting to weaknesses of opponents to exploit them.

Van secondary: Inexperienced against combination of athletes and scheme Gilmer will bring. Fundamental players. Well coached. Excellent in run support. No speed to write home about, but enough to not be a weakness. Least heralded part of that vaunted defense, but definitely capable of containing opponents' WR's.
VS
Gilmer WR's: Not as talented as past groups, but what else is new with this team. Break away speed from Webb (#5) and Pollard (#8) and good hands (most of the time). Pressure defenses with speed and can force scheme adjustments.

OldNavy
11-13-2011, 02:52 PM
icu812 and Buckeye80 have stated their cases very well. No need for either team to show up, because neither stands a chance.:eek:
Actually, nice posts, it will be interesting to see how this game plays out.

icu812
11-13-2011, 02:56 PM
The match-ups are as follows:

Van passing attack: Tremendous use of the field. Accurate passer and often confusing scheme. Tremendous hands. No break away speed, but impressive possession receivers.
VS
Gilmer secondary: Ball hawking defense with 15 interceptions on the season. Secondary plays their positions well. Almost always in position to make plays on the ball. Very "sticky" coverage guys.

Van D-line: One of the top 5 defensive lines in the state at the 3A level. Went toe-to-toe with Lindale's behemoth offensive line and showed well. Impenetrable wall against the run. Very capable pass rushers. Put a lot of pressure on opposing offensive lines.
VS
Gilmer O-line: Unsung heroes of this team. Our "flabby" (lol) linemen have given both QB's incredible protection this year. Block the zone read and jet sweep extremely well. Athletic bunch of over achievers. Not huge, but not tiny.

Van LB's: What is there really to say? Studs, studs, studs!!! Football IQ through the roof! In on seemingly every tackle. Uber impressive bunch!!
VS
Gilmer play-calling: Keeping teams off balance is a calling card for the Buckeyes. One of the few teams with a "wide open" playbook. Excellent at adjusting to weaknesses of opponents to exploit them.

Van secondary: Inexperienced against combination of athletes and scheme Gilmer will bring. Fundamental players. Well coached. Excellent in run support. No speed to write home about, but enough to not be a weakness. Least heralded part of that vaunted defense, but definitely capable of containing opponents' WR's.
VS
Gilmer WR's: Not as talented as past groups, but what else is new with this team. Break away speed from Webb (#5) and Pollard (#8) and good hands (most of the time). Pressure defenses with speed and can force scheme adjustments.

I must say I'm impressed! Have you been watching film??

I think the main issue for Van on D will be tackling Gilmers playmakers in space. Gilmer does a good job of spreading out the D with jet sweeps and short passing.

icu812
11-13-2011, 04:08 PM
icu812 and Buckeye80 have stated their cases very well. No need for either team to show up, because neither stands a chance.:eek:
Actually, nice posts, it will be interesting to see how this game plays out.

This thread already has more quality info than every sorry gilmer/van thread over at smoaky combined although several have already been deleted due to knuckleheads on both sides. Hopefully we can keep it clean over here.

One this I left out was Gilmer's depth which is a huge advantage over Van. Van doesn't have the quality depth Gilmer has. I see Van having to play at least one of their staring receivers at corner. That is something they haven't done except a little in the Lindale game. I think our starting corners will have trouble with Gilmer's receivers if the QB has time to find them.

icu812
11-13-2011, 06:09 PM
How about this our leading tackler on the team isn't Dalton Santos who has 85 tackles and 18 tfl. Its Sid Moore with 86 tackles with 33 tackles being for a loss. Followed by Demond Dean with 75 tackles 13 tfl and Oscar Taylor 62 tackles with 15 tfl (in 10 games). As a unit Van has given up a few big plays but also has 44 sacks, 16 int's - same as Gilmer's "ball hawking defense" :-) and 17 defensive td's (i'm not 100% sure of that but it was a lot). I will admit the majority of those int's were a result of the QB getting clobbered or thinking he's about to, instead of db's making great plays on good passes. Also, Van's stats were put up against a schedule which was inferior to Gilmer's schedule. So of course none of this compares with the vaunted BLACK FLAG defense. Nevertheless, Van will do their best.

Buckeye80
11-13-2011, 09:06 PM
Also, Van's stats were put up against a schedule which was inferior to Gilmer's schedule. So of course none of this compares with the vaunted BLACK FLAG defense. Nevertheless, Van will do their best.

We only have one common opponent; Spring Hill. I'd love to compare games, but unfortunately, anyone would look like "world beaters" against Spring Hill this year........except Pittsburg. :confused: They then play us within 8 the next week. Still don't get that one.

Anyway, here it is:

Van 28 Spring Hill 7
Gilmer 48 Spring Hill 7

pirate4state
11-13-2011, 09:42 PM
How about this our leading tackler on the team isn't Dalton Santos who has 85 tackles and 18 tfl. Its Sid Moore with 86 tackles with 33 tackles being for a loss. Followed by Demond Dean with 75 tackles 13 tfl and Oscar Taylor 62 tackles with 15 tfl (in 10 games). As a unit Van has given up a few big plays but also has 44 sacks, 16 int's - same as Gilmer's "ball hawking defense" :-) and 17 defensive td's (i'm not 100% sure of that but it was a lot). I will admit the majority of those int's were a result of the QB getting clobbered or thinking he's about to, instead of db's making great plays on good passes. Also, Van's stats were put up against a schedule which was inferior to Gilmer's schedule. So of course none of this compares with the vaunted BLACK FLAG defense. Nevertheless, Van will do their best.

good stuff in this thread...what a great name...SID MOORE!

Saggy Aggie
11-13-2011, 09:48 PM
good stuff in this thread...what a great name...SID MOORE!
+1

Good read

83Indian
11-13-2011, 10:46 PM
I must say I'm impressed! Have you been watching film??

I think the main issue for Van on D will be tackling Gilmers playmakers in space. Gilmer does a good job of spreading out the D with jet sweeps and short passing.

What happened to Van in the Lindale game? 50 points on the Van defense. Was it run, pass, both? Looks like this might be more of an offensive game vs. a defensive one in my opinion.

Too bad we can't all watch these games in person. Lot of great high school football here in 3A!

SHSBulldog00
11-13-2011, 10:54 PM
Whose carrying this one?

garciap77
11-13-2011, 11:05 PM
Allright icu812. Let's do this. (10-1) Van Vandals vs (11-0) Gilmer Buckeyes Friday night at Lobo.

Do the Vandals avenge the thrashing from last year's second round? Or do the Buckeyes continue to march toward a titanic Reg II Final showdown?

The Vandals are a year older and more experienced. The Buckeyes are playing game to game trying to keep all the pieces intact.

Hit me! :)

Gilmer by 6 or 9 TDs!!!!:D

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/4BXP2-2.jpg

poisoned10
11-13-2011, 11:43 PM
This thread already has more quality info than every sorry gilmer/van thread over at smoaky combined although several have already been deleted due to knuckleheads on both sides. Hopefully we can keep it clean over here.

Smoaky started to suck a few years ago when it became impossible to find any information about the team you were playing because everyone just wanted to "smack" and then get offended like someone just slapped their mother when someone chose the opposite team. Can't stand that site any more. It's only good for updates during the game. Every other day of the week it sucks. I used to post regularly, have over 4,000 or 5,000 posts, but then all that started happening. Although, I do love reading 'jackpots'" posts. Dude is hilarious.

BTW, Van has played a VERY weak schedule with Lindale as their toughest opponent, who I happen to believe is overrated. The only reason they were considered to be so good was because they beat a Carthage team who was in their 2nd game of trying to replace several 2 and 3 year starters. Depending on the type of character their team has, it could hurt them.

I'll say Gilmer wins a very close game by less than 10.

Leopard4Life
11-13-2011, 11:51 PM
What happened to Van in the Lindale game? 50 points on the Van defense. Was it run, pass, both? Looks like this might be more of an offensive game vs. a defensive one in my opinion.

Too bad we can't all watch these games in person. Lot of great high school football here in 3A!

Was that the game where Santos went out in the 1st quarter?

regaleagle
11-14-2011, 12:35 AM
Yes, I believe it was. I see Van as a major force to contend with in these playoffs. And I don't believe Lindale is overrated, either. Playoffs are all about match-ups with the other team you are facing. And you only face a fraction of all the teams that are in the playoffs, so every team has a real chance at this juncture.

icu812
11-14-2011, 11:03 AM
That is correct Santos was out midway through the 2nd Q (score was 14-7). It may sound funny after giving up 50 but actually the defense didn't play that bad. Lindale rushed for 320 yards on Carthage and 140 on Van. Van's problem was after Santos went out the safeties had to help stop the run and left our corners 1 on 1. One of Van's corners (a freshman) was playing his 1st game since breaking his foot and was getting torched over and over for long td's. I felt like they should have got him out of there as he was not having a good night (he's gonna be good btw). Van had Lindale in 3rd and long repeatedly but the Lindale QB and receivers just kept making plays. Hats off to Lindale but Van had nothing go their way in this game and Van still took the lead in the 4th Q. By the end of this game (in Lindale) Van was surging and Lindale was beaten up bad. One more note: Lindale's QB is a stud and their O-line looks like a college team.

waterboy
11-14-2011, 11:32 AM
If the Buckeyes come out prepared and focused in this game like they did against Atlanta, I don't see Van being able to beat us. Van has improved drastically from last year, but so has Gilmer. I think this game will show the difference in schedule strength in the end. I think Gilmer will win by 2 TDs or more, but if they turn the ball over a couple of times, and make a short field for Van, this game could be closer. The Buckeyes will have to force the issue on defense by getting pressure on the Van QB. If they can get pressure on him, while keeping the short game to a minimum, they can force a couple of mistakes. Either way, I think the Buckeyes come out prepared and focused against a formidable opponent once again, and come out with the "W". I don't care if it's by one point, or 40 points, so long as it is a win for the Buckeyes, although I do prefer a comfortable win. A comfortable win is much easier on us old folks, lol!

db1980
11-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Gilmer's passing game depends heavily on the short routes and screen plays, especially without Turner. If Van can stop the screen game that is to their advantage. Turner was the best player on the Gilmer team offensively. Whether the Buckeye fans are willing to admit to that or not, they aren't the same team without him. I know Traylor is a good QB, but he isn't Turner and against Carthage(a pretty good defense) they leaned on Turner to run the ball. I think if Turner was playing Gilmer would be 14 pt favorites at best. Without him I say a FG favorite at best. IF Van can pressure the QB quickly and cover well, they may beat Gilmer. I look for a tough win for either team. Any Gilmer fan that thinks it will be a relatively easy win is dreaming.

I will pick Gilmer 27-24

waterboy
11-14-2011, 02:24 PM
Gilmer's passing game depends heavily on the short routes and screen plays, especially without Turner. If Van can stop the screen game that is to their advantage. Turner was the best player on the Gilmer team offensively. Whether the Buckeye fans are willing to admit to that or not, they aren't the same team without him. I know Traylor is a good QB, but he isn't Turner and against Carthage(a pretty good defense) they leaned on Turner to run the ball. I think if Turner was playing Gilmer would be 14 pt favorites at best. Without him I say a FG favorite at best. IF Van can pressure the QB quickly and cover well, they may beat Gilmer. I look for a tough win for either team. Any Gilmer fan that thinks it will be a relatively easy win is dreaming.

I will pick Gilmer 27-24
Okay, okay! Turner was the best offensive player we had! There, are you happy now? The thing is the players, Traylor included, have stepped it up and become a better TEAM. The offense makes up for the loss of Luke by virtue of a more diverse offensive attack. The defenses absolutely KNEW what was coming when Luke was in there most of the time, but they still couldn't stop it. Now, the defenses have absolutely no idea what's coming most of the time, and STILL have trouble stopping it. The offense without Luke is different, but just as productive. I've said it once, and I'll say it again......no matter how good the Buckeye offense is, this TEAM will only go as far as the Black Flag DEFENSE will allow. I think if the Buckeyes score 4 or 5 TDs, their chances of winning are close to 90%, or better. I think Van is a formidable opponent with good players all over the field, and could pose problems for anybody, but if the Buckeyes come out prepared and focused, I don't see Van being able to beat them. This game could be, and should be close most of the way, but I see the Buckeyes winning. At least that's what I'm counting on!

GO BUCKEYES!!

db1980
11-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Keep Telling yourself that about the more diverse offensive attack. He was the only force for short yardage or yards up the middle. Gilmer's offense is still good, as I have said before, but you don't have to worry about the QB running as much without Turner. That takes out a dimension of the offense so it can't be more diverse. He was the QB that could throw the ball downfield better....another dimension of offense that is weaker. I pick Gilmer to win, just not by as much if Turner was playing. He is that much better and provides more opportunities for the offense.

icu812
11-14-2011, 02:51 PM
waterboy, I think your right about this game being about Gilmer's D not Van's D. Gilmer is going to score some points on anybody, they just have to many good players not to score. Big test for Van's OL who has been rock solid all year. It will be interesting to see what Gilmer's defensive game plan will be. This game will come down to adjustments made during the game.

BuckeyeNut
11-14-2011, 03:04 PM
Not last year and not this year. Gilmer has to many weapons and a Defense that wont quit. I see atleast 5 more int comming friday.

icu812
11-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Not last year and not this year. Gilmer has to many weapons and a Defense that wont quit. I see atleast 5 more int comming friday.

Considering Smallwood has only thrown 5 int's in 11 games that wouldn't be good for Van.

waterboy
11-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Keep Telling yourself that about the more diverse offensive attack. He was the only force for short yardage or yards up the middle. Gilmer's offense is still good, as I have said before, but you don't have to worry about the QB running as much without Turner. That takes out a dimension of the offense so it can't be more diverse. He was the QB that could throw the ball downfield better....another dimension of offense that is weaker. I pick Gilmer to win, just not by as much if Turner was playing. He is that much better and provides more opportunities for the offense.
I will have to agree to disagree about that, because I think Jordan Traylor is a much more accurate passer, throws with more touch, and can throw over the top a little better. There's NO DOUBT Luke is a much better running threat than Jordan, but I think it's a wash with Jordan's ability to throw the short passes, and with his better accuracy and touch, the long passes. With Jordan back there, the Buckeyes have opened up the playbook a lot more, and the production of the offense hasn't dropped off at all. Rushing yardage has dropped some, but passing yardage has increased to offset that drop. Offensively, the Buckeyes have still averaged 500 ypg before and after Luke. Here are some stats for ya:
When Luke was QB: Offensive PPG: 41.57, Points allowed: 19.4
With Jordan at QB: Offensive PPG: 35.0, Points allowed: 11.75

Although we scored more points when Luke was QB, our defense has stepped it up and have made up any difference. These totals include a close game at Pittsburg in which we won 14-6, skewing the totals quite a bit in 4 complete game compilations with Traylor at the helm. Give Jordan another three games and I think the totals could be better depending on the level of competition. As you know, the cream rises to the top in the playoffs, so the level of competition will definitely get stiffer.

BuckeyeNut
11-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Considering Smallwood has only thrown 5 int's in 11 games that wouldn't be good for Van.

You have not played anyone close to Gilmer's Level. I am just glade were home team this time:)

waterboy
11-14-2011, 05:20 PM
You have not played anyone close to Gilmer's Level. I am just glade were home team this time:)
Are we the home team? I keep hearing and reading we are the visitors again.

BuckeyeNut
11-14-2011, 05:31 PM
I was told yesterday we were Home? hmmm

buckeyebob
11-14-2011, 05:37 PM
If the Buckeyes come out prepared and focused in this game like they did against Atlanta, I don't see Van being able to beat us. Van has improved drastically from last year, but so has Gilmer. I think this game will show the difference in schedule strength in the end. I think Gilmer will win by 2 TDs or more, but if they turn the ball over a couple of times, and make a short field for Van, this game could be closer. The Buckeyes will have to force the issue on defense by getting pressure on the Van QB. If they can get pressure on him, while keeping the short game to a minimum, they can force a couple of mistakes. Either way, I think the Buckeyes come out prepared and focused against a formidable opponent once again, and come out with the "W". I don't care if it's by one point, or 40 points, so long as it is a win for the Buckeyes, although I do prefer a comfortable win. A comfortable win is much easier on us old folks, lol!

+1 a bunch....thanks waterboy...let's bring it on!

icu812
11-14-2011, 05:39 PM

They lied.

waterboy
11-14-2011, 05:42 PM
The folks over on Smoaky are saying we are the visitors again. Confirmation from a Buckeye fan, and a Van fan, so I would think we are the visitors.

buckeyebob

Pii QB had thrown 5 int. for the year prior to the Bux game...we got four more.

waterboy
They lied.
LOL, Yep!:)

buckeyebob
11-14-2011, 05:46 PM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance004.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance004.gif

What are you saying...we are not home? Foul!!

waterboy
11-15-2011, 08:05 AM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance004.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance004.gif

Lobo is our second "home away from home". Of course, TMF / Rose is our first home away from home, but I heard the turf is in terrible shape there.

LionFan72
11-15-2011, 09:36 AM

Don't worry, you will just get the view from the visitors side but with no fear of losing:):):):)

Etsportsfan87
11-15-2011, 10:56 AM
This is a great thread. Thank all of you for all the good insight. Much better than the threads on that other forum.

MGAR
11-15-2011, 11:17 AM
This is a great thread. Thank all of you for all the good insight. Much better than the threads on that other forum.

I agree..

Over here the Gilmer folk act normal..

waterboy
11-15-2011, 11:25 AM
I agree..

Over here the Gilmer folk act normal..
:eek: Normal??? Who you callin' "normal"? LOL.

There are some "different" type of folks over there. That's for sure! The Van people are just as bad over there, though. What can you say? They are all homers for sure.

regaleagle
11-15-2011, 11:51 AM
What you have here is a well-coached, cohesive, and capable seasoned Gilmer team taking on a defensively stout Van team that is also capable offensively as well. This one is will be close, IMO. I don't see Gilmer or Van controlling this game. It will go back and forth, with the team making the least mistakes coming out on top. A big play offensively in the 4th may make the difference. Who will reel it off? The Van defense, the Gilmer offense, or the Gilmer defense? Or will it be Smallwood on a pass play? This game has all the markings of having an exciting finish. Wish I could see it. I'm going with the Van defense to win this one. I just think losing Luke will make Van's job on D easier, that's all. And I don't care what kind of schedule they played. This is a game by game season now. Van wins in a close one.

waterboy
11-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Good points, regaleagle, but I don't agree with you. I can't see Van's defense being able to shut down Gilmer's offense, AND I do see Gilmer's Black Flag defense being able to contain Van's offense. Unless Van's defense is the best defense we've faced this year (which I highly doubt), I think Gilmer will win by 2 TDs or more. If Van has the best offense we've faced this year (which I highly doubt when you take into account Carthage, Henderson, Daingerfield, etc.), then the Black Flag defense will have its work cut out for them. Gilmer beat Van easily last year, and both teams have improved this year which makes it interesting, but I don't see Van being improved enough to topple the Buckeyes. That's just my opinion, and I'm being as objective as I can being the homer that I am.

icu812
11-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Good points, regaleagle, but I don't agree with you. I can't see Van's defense being able to shut down Gilmer's offense, AND I do see Gilmer's Black Flag defense being able to contain Van's offense. Unless Van's defense is the best defense we've faced this year (which I highly doubt), I think Gilmer will win by 2 TDs or more. If Van has the best offense we've faced this year (which I highly doubt when you take into account Carthage, Henderson, Daingerfield, etc.), then the Black Flag defense will have its work cut out for them. Gilmer beat Van easily last year, and both teams have improved this year which makes it interesting, but I don't see Van being improved enough to topple the Buckeyes. That's just my opinion, and I'm being as objective as I can being the homer that I am.

Van's offense is averaging 15 more points per game vs. last year. Defense giving up 5 less points, although in reality it should be much much less. At least half the points given up have been by the mop up guys. Last week Ferris (yes I know its Ferris lol) didn't have a first down until the 4th Q, then mop up guys gave up 3 td's. Honestly I think we have improved enough to beat Gilmer but because in our only game vs. a top team we lost a close one people will continue to have their doubts. Lindale never came close to stopping Van's offense. Lindale struggled to move the ball on the ground which forced tons of 3rd downs which they converted mostly on perfectly thrown deep passes against man coverage. I don't think Gilmer will be able to run the ball much better than Lindale did against us (they rushed for 320 on Carthage/140 on Van) and I think we'll do things differently in the secondary either personel wise or sceme wise. Having said that though there is no way anybody is going to "shut down" Gilmer's offense, they run their offense to well for that. Finally, Gilmer beat Van easily last year because they should have. Van couldn't throw the ball on anybody last year not just Gilmer and last year Van's D gave up 51 points to Quinlan Ford! Gilmer should have won easily and they did 50-27. No surprise there.

waterboy
11-16-2011, 08:50 AM
From what you're saying, icu812, Van has improved drastically (I already knew that, BTW). I know they are a formidable opponent and could possibly pull the upset. It looks like this could be a barn-burner of a game. If this is a close game, I would definitely have to give the edge to Gilmer, though, because they've been there, done that several times during the season, and won them all. Six out of the ten opponents Gilmer has faced made the playoffs, at least two of the others would've made the playoffs in almost any other 3A district in the state, in my opinion. How many of Van's opponents made the playoffs? When Gilmer was in noncompetitive districts it hurt them in the playoffs. That may not be the case with Van, who knows? I'm anxious to find out, though! GO BUCKEYES!!

BuckeyeNut
11-16-2011, 10:50 AM
Got my tickets, and ready only thing is we have to wait 2 more days ugh.....

The boys are ready, they had a great practice yesterday they are ready.

BuckeyeNut
11-18-2011, 08:38 AM
Game day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

SHSBulldog00
11-18-2011, 10:48 AM
The Buckeye's got this one

Santo's look's good in Tennessee Orange and White.

42-24

Txbroadcaster
11-18-2011, 10:57 AM
The Buckeye's got this one

Santo's look's good in Tennessee Orange and White.

42-24

I still think he might flip back to A&M..he wante to play there but also wanted to play in SEC..now he can get both

SHSBulldog00
11-18-2011, 11:06 AM
I still think he might flip back to A&M..he wante to play there but also wanted to play in SEC..now he can get both

It would be a huge pick up for the Aggie's. Still think this will be his last high school game.

regaleagle
11-18-2011, 03:35 PM
The leading team out of the District of Doom against a team similar to Pittsburg, a team the Bux had trouble with. I wouldn't exactly write-off Van so easily. This game will be won in the 4th qtr., probably late and on 4th down. Still a toss-up in my mind. Regardless, the winner gets the Princeton/Van Alstyne winner.

waterboy
11-18-2011, 04:30 PM
The leading team out of the District of Doom against a team similar to Pittsburg, a team the Bux had trouble with. I wouldn't exactly write-off Van so easily. This game will be won in the 4th qtr., probably late and on 4th down. Still a toss-up in my mind. Regardless, the winner gets the Princeton/Van Alstyne winner.
I honestly doubt that Van's defense is as good as Pittsburg's was, at least the night they played Gilmer. Pittsburg practiced two weeks for the Gilmer game, a coaching mistake in my mind no doubt, and overlooked Spring Hill. Spring Hill turned around and beat Pitt because of it, leaving Pitt with nothing to play for but pride. Besides, that was only the second game Jordan Traylor had started, and they had just come off an emotional win against Henderson for the district of doom title. The only thing Gilmer had to play for was an unbeaten record, which by the way they did win even though it wasn't pretty. It's hard to beat the Pirates in Pittsburg, anyway. I remember back in '04 when the Buckeyes won the state title, they did the same thing.......went to Pittsburg, and had to have some last minute heroics to win 22-18. The point is, Van has some very impressive players, and impressive defensive numbers, and impressive offensive numbers for that matter, but the only "quality" opponent they played (Lindale), they gave up 50 points to and lost. It's easy to look impressive when the quality of the opponents is well below average. Van is a good team, no doubt about it, but I think Gilmer is better. We'll just have to see how they match up. I'm being as objective as I can being the homer that I am.:)

lostaussie
11-19-2011, 01:06 AM
That vaunted Vandal defense...............got ROCKED

icu812
11-19-2011, 03:19 AM
Final Gilmer 57 Van 40.

Great game by Gilmer. Got to give them credit they made lots of great plays, played great team football and very few mistakes. Van's offense while they scored 40 didn't do their defense any favors turning the ball over six times and giving Gilmer's offense a short field. They don't need any help, lol. The fact that we scored 40 turning it over six times shows we had the ability to play with Gilmer just not the discipline we needed to win. Way to many mistakes to beat a very good Gilmer team. I thought the turning point was late in the 1st when Van was up 14-7 with the ball and fumbled. Followed up by another fumble and then Van losing two starters in their secondary (and starters on offense) to injury, both in the 1st quarter. I hate that we went out like that but Gilmer is as advertised. It is what it is and Gilmer got it done....again. Good luck throughout the playoffs!!

LionFan72
11-19-2011, 11:01 AM
Final Gilmer 57 Van 40.

Great game by Gilmer. Got to give them credit they made lots of great plays, played great team football and very few mistakes. Van's offense while they scored 40 didn't do their defense any favors turning the ball over six times and giving Gilmer's offense a short field. They don't need any help, lol. The fact that we scored 40 turning it over six times shows we had the ability to play with Gilmer just not the discipline we needed to win. Way to many mistakes to beat a very good Gilmer team. I thought the turning point was late in the 1st when Van was up 14-7 with the ball and fumbled. Followed up by another fumble and then Van losing two starters in their secondary (and starters on offense) to injury, both in the 1st quarter. I hate that we went out like that but Gilmer is as advertised. It is what it is and Gilmer got it done....again. Good luck throughout the playoffs!!
If you could win a game with six turnovers against a quality opponent like Gilmer, would be an amazing feat! No more needs to be said, and I am pretty sure that opponent had something to do with the turnovers.

Buckeye80
11-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Final Gilmer 57 Van 40.

Any news on the kid that got carted off?? It must've been a pretty horrific injury. I saw Santos walk over to him and look at it, then turn around, look up, and put his hand over his face. Always hate to see a kid go out like that.

icu812
11-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Any news on the kid that got carted off?? It must've been a pretty horrific injury. I saw Santos walk over to him and look at it, then turn around, look up, and put his hand over his face. Always hate to see a kid go out like that.

Last I heard it was broken ankle or leg. Kid I spoke with said his foot was turned around the wrong way. He is our starting safety and second leading receiver this year. Also, maybe the fastest player on the team. He's a jr. so hopefully he can fully recover.

MGAR
11-19-2011, 12:27 PM

Had two surgeries this morning..

Will be ok.

icu812
11-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Had two surgeries this morning..

Will be ok.

Good to hear!!

Anybody have some stats on this game??

I read in Longview paper that Traylor passed for 274 - 4 td's. Freshman RB had 90 yards on the ground. For Van Smallwood threw for 401 yards - 2 td's - 2 int's, Rucker had 305 receiving yards according to the paper??

MGAR
11-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Good to hear!!

Anybody have some stats on this game??

I read in Longview paper that Traylor passed for 274 - 4 td's. Freshman RB had 90 yards on the ground. For Van Smallwood threw for 401 yards - 2 td's - 2 int's, Rucker had 305 receiving yards according to the paper??

I'm sure those are about as close as it will get.. The guy the LNJ had there is all business..

Some more other stats from the paper

FIRST DOWNS
Van-21
Gilmer- 12

RUSHING
Van- 28,125
Gilmer- 30, 140

C-A-I
Van- 27-49-2
Gilmer- 12-24-0

PASSING
Van- 401
Gilmer- 274

FUMBLES-LOST
Van- 3,3
Gilmer- 0,0

PENALTIES
Van- 12,110
Gilmer 6,60

Turnovers were the difference

icu812
11-19-2011, 01:24 PM
I'm sure those are about as close as it will get.. The guy the LNJ had there is all business..

Some more other stats from the paper

FIRST DOWNS
Van-21
Gilmer- 12

RUSHING
Van- 28,125
Gilmer- 30, 140

C-A-I
Van- 27-49-2
Gilmer- 12-24-0

PASSING
Van- 401