PDA

View Full Version : Band Question

eagles_victory
11-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Last night I saw a band just playing random notes the entire night and just making awful obnoxious noise when the other team was on offense (esp near the endzone they were in). I have no problem with playing songs when a team is on offense, but this to me was so obnoxious and annoying. Do a lot of bands do this because I can honestly say I have never seen it

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Last night I saw a band just playing random notes the entire night and just making awful obnoxious noise when the other team was on offense (esp near the endzone they were in). I have no problem with playing songs when a team is on offense, but this to me was so obnoxious and annoying. Do a lot of bands do this because I can honestly say I have never seen itAre you talking about the Kennedale band?? they did that against us too.. Its a ploy to keep the team onthe field from hearing the snap count and throw them off timing. Kind of bad sportsmanship in my opinion.. Didnt help them against us..

SHSBulldog00
11-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Last night I saw a band just playing random notes the entire night and just making awful obnoxious noise when the other team was on offense (esp near the endzone they were in). I have no problem with playing songs when a team is on offense, but this to me was so obnoxious and annoying. Do a lot of bands do this because I can honestly say I have never seen it

What game where you at?

eagles_victory
11-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Fairfield Lorena.

IndianFan2012
11-12-2011, 12:04 PM
You have to be playing a song for it to legal. If a band is doing that their team can get a 15 yard penalty. You can set it up where you play quietly until the line up then really let the song rip a few counts before the snap. Wylie does a version of this, Kennedale too.

bwdlionfan
11-12-2011, 12:11 PM
You can set it up where you play quietly until the line up then really let the song rip a few counts before the snap. Wylie does a version of this, Kennedale too.

Graham does this worse than any team I've seen/heard.

95mustang
11-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Graham does this worse than any team I've seen/heard.

Graham is also the only team I have seen penalized for this.

eagles_victory
11-12-2011, 12:24 PM
They were not playing a song they were just playing loudly and if it was a song they are the WORST band Ive ever heard. Including the band I played in during the 6th grade.

upper20
11-12-2011, 02:23 PM
You have to be playing a song for it to legal. If a band is doing that their team can get a 15 yard penalty. You can set it up where you play quietly until the line up then really let the song rip a few counts before the snap. Wylie does a version of this, Kennedale too.

If remembering correctly, a couple years ago, Wylie's band was shut down from playing a song loudly during a game against Snyder. Snyder's coaching staff complained and Wylie was threatened with a penalty if the band continued

mick5302
11-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Are you talking about the Kennedale band?? they did that against us too.. Its a ploy to keep the team onthe field from hearing the snap count and throw them off timing. Kind of bad sportsmanship in my opinion.. Didnt help them against us..

Band doesn't even play in the3rd qtr. This statement is ridiculous. Most bands are at war with eachother not the football teams.

ccmom
11-12-2011, 03:30 PM
If remembering correctly, a couple years ago, Wylie's band was shut down from playing a song loudly during a game against Snyder. Snyder's coaching staff complained and Wylie was threatened with a penalty if the band continued Yep. Also it was Snyder who was playing Graham when Graham got the penalty assessed for it. Snyder doesn't mess around when it comes to horns!! :)

regaleagle
11-12-2011, 03:38 PM
What a cheap ploy to use to try to gain an onfield advantage. I don't believe I've ever seen this done at the college level, but I'm sure years ago it was probably used and outlawed.

yellaseeker
11-13-2011, 04:21 PM
I just wish we could make our director and band understand that we shouldn't be loud when our offense goes into the huddle and come up to the line. It's hard enough for our guys to hear and focus with the opponents band playing much less ours adding to it. Don't know why the coaches don't raise cain with the director. I love our fans but they add to this problem too. It's usually people that really don't know any better. As far as the other teams band playing, i just see it as part of football. I disagree with them not allowing noise makers at games but, I guess i'm just old fashioned cause I love for the fans to really get into the game and the band as well. The louder the better i say but like i said, we shouldn't make it hard on our own team for goodness sake. :mad:

pirate4state
11-13-2011, 04:36 PM
I just wish we could make our director and band understand that we shouldn't be loud when our offense goes into the huddle and come up to the line. It's hard enough for our guys to hear and focus with the opponents band playing much less ours adding to it. Don't know why the coaches don't raise cain with the director. I love our fans but they add to this problem too. It's usually people that really don't know any better. As far as the other teams band playing, i just see it as part of football. I disagree with them not allowing noise makers at games but, I guess i'm just old fashioned cause I love for the fans to really get into the game and the band as well. The louder the better i say but like i said, we shouldn't make it hard on our own team for goodness sake. :mad: haha me too, but it's something we'll have to worry with next year :(

HEMOTOXIC
11-13-2011, 04:44 PM
I just wish we could make our director and band understand that we shouldn't be loud when our offense goes into the huddle and come up to the line. It's hard enough for our guys to hear and focus with the opponents band playing much less ours adding to it. Don't know why the coaches don't raise cain with the director. I love our fans but they add to this problem too. It's usually people that really don't know any better. As far as the other teams band playing, i just see it as part of football. I disagree with them not allowing noise makers at games but, I guess i'm just old fashioned cause I love for the fans to really get into the game and the band as well. The louder the better i say but like i said, we shouldn't make it hard on our own team for goodness sake. :mad:

:iagree:

DavidWooderson
11-13-2011, 04:46 PM
Holy crap are y'all actually complaining about the band? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I've seen this done several times. What's the difference in the band doing it and the fans blowing those dang vuvuzuela things?

If you're really going to complain because the band is too loud, maybe you shouldn't be playing.

buckeyebob
11-14-2011, 06:04 AM
We had an unusual problem this year with the Henneson band...temp bleachers were put in endzone for overflow...Henneson band decided to sit there as there was inadequate room for them + pep squad, etc. When we would get to the 30 yard area, they would go bananas loud (they had 10 tubas & I would guess150+ members). We were unable to hear the QB so they were asked to cool it by the Supt....Negatory...he had to tell 'em that if they interfered while we were in the thirty, the Temp blrachers would be removed & they would be replocated...problem solved. This was the 1st & I hope last that we had this issue.

GrTigers6
11-14-2011, 06:48 AM
Holy crap are y'all actually complaining about the band? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I've seen this done several times. What's the difference in the band doing it and the fans blowing those dang vuvuzuela things?

If you're really going to complain because the band is too loud, maybe you shouldn't be playing.He wasnt complaing about the band being too loud. Just annoying random playing

JustAFan
11-14-2011, 09:22 AM
Actually, Kennedale's band does not just blast sounds when the other team's offense gets up to the line. Like an earlier poster said, they play a song real softly until the other team's offense is coming up to the line and sets, then they go crazy with the loud playing. Question - What is wrong with that??? No different than the fans screaming, blasting their horns, beating the bleachers, etc. At least their band realizes they are there to SUPPORT the football team. If it weren't for Friday night football, bands would have a hard time finding opportunities to get ready for their UIL competition. :cheerl:

Old Tiger
11-14-2011, 09:30 AM
I hate The Final Countdown song.

Emerson1
11-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Someone on the 5A site was complaining about Allen's band.

It's Kennedale, how loud could their band have been?

Tom Foolery
11-14-2011, 12:31 PM
The only way to solve this problem is to have the football team remain on the siddline during halftime and yell at the opposing band. Problem solved!

bulldog82
11-14-2011, 02:42 PM
La Vernia has perfect band etiquette, wish our band could do the same. plus play songs that pertain to football and hype up the team and fans, not put them to sleep

DavidWooderson
11-14-2011, 04:51 PM
La Vernia has perfect band etiquette, wish our band could do the same. plus play songs that pertain to football and hype up the team and fans, not put them to sleep

I can agree with you on that one. Geez PP's last band director had the worst choice in the song selection. We'd be on defense and the band would crank up, "Saturday in the Park" by Chicago and everyone would be like....."Really?". The guy that's been here for a few years now at least has a clue about the game, they play "Seven Nation Army" by White Stripes, "Bad Romance" Lady Gaga (it's actually a good band song especially the rah rah rah rah part), and then the normal band tunes, "Eye of the Tiger" "Hey Song", etc.....Just wish more band directors had a clue.

Another thing this guy does that not many band directors do is, they don't have a 3rd qtr break. There are are some games that I've been to, like Sherman and the band leaves the bleachers for majority of the 2nd qtr to warm up for half time, then takes whole 3 qtr off. What's the point of having a 3 qtr when you just took a 2nd qtr break?

bulldog82
11-14-2011, 07:00 PM
I can agree with you on that one. Geez PP's last band director had the worst choice in the song selection. We'd be on defense and the band would crank up, "Saturday in the Park" by Chicago and everyone would be like....."Really?". The guy that's been here for a few years now at least has a clue about the game, they play "Seven Nation Army" by White Stripes, "Bad Romance" Lady Gaga (it's actually a good band song especially the rah rah rah rah part), and then the normal band tunes, "Eye of the Tiger" "Hey Song", etc.....Just wish more band directors had a clue.

Another thing this guy does that not many band directors do is, they don't have a 3rd qtr break. There are are some games that I've been to, like Sherman and the band leaves the bleachers for majority of the 2nd qtr to warm up for half time, then takes whole 3 qtr off. What's the point of having a 3 qtr when you just took a 2nd qtr break?

you hit the nail on the head! our band does a chicago trillogy, and leaves the stands before and after just like that. only problem were stuck with the director and 3 assist.can you believe that. i think next year going to get AD to have band attend booster meetings and get things straigtht.

Buff42
11-14-2011, 09:03 PM
The only way to solve this problem is to have the football team remain on the siddline during halftime and yell at the opposing band. Problem solved!

Bwahahaha. Great idea. Our band finds it impossible to get off the field before halftime is over. Maybe heckling is the answer.

But, back on topic, I always figured most bands had no idea who has the ball, much less when would be an opportune (or inopportune as the case may be) time to make noise.

FB-fanatic
11-14-2011, 09:43 PM
I was at this game too. It was crazy. It caused the opposing teams running back to stop at the one yard line, cover his ears, and dropped the ball, allowing the defensive guy to pick up the ball and return it for a 99 yard touchdown.

Really wild.

Or maybe it had something to do with #33 Coker, the leading tackler in central texas, putting his helmet right on the numbers.....

DavidWooderson
11-14-2011, 11:07 PM
Ahh getting off the field before half-time is over. Another Pilot Point problem. At competition they have 10 minutes to get on the field, perform and get off the field.......It never fails when PP has a home game, they usually wind up playing someone who has a 15 minute halftime performance, then they have a drill team run out there and dance for 5 minutes....and then in PP the Cheerleaders for some reason have to go out and perform their stripper in training dance which gets more and more provocative every year and 9 times out of 10 the CD doesn't work OR the person operating the CD player doesn't know how to work it and they end up just out there standing looking around. THEN the band goes on with usually about 3 minutes left on the clock where both teams are warming up in the endzones.