PDA

View Full Version : Region IV GOTW: Gonzales Apaches (11-0) vs. Wimberley Texans (10-0)

Pages : [1] 2

Gontex
11-12-2011, 08:55 AM
San Marcos Record is reporting the game will be played at New Braunfels Canyon Friday night. Somebody with a pretty darn good football team is going to be going home

warhorsejoe
11-12-2011, 08:57 AM
Should be GOTW game of the week in Region IV. I was hoping for a Saturday game day so I could go watch this game.

rb585
11-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Turrible decision. Just turrible.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2rhvdp5.jpg

Apache91
11-12-2011, 09:11 AM
Dang. I was hoping it was going to be in Alamodome.

apache78
11-12-2011, 09:14 AM
I hope the San Marcos paper jumped the gun, I agree, one of the worst looking fields to watch a game on. Not tying to offend Canyon, but dang that seems to be hard on the eyes, nothing wrong with green grass, "turf".

lbjacj
11-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Do the Apaches have red uniforms?

Sportshack
11-12-2011, 09:27 AM
I doubt their will be much woofing from Texans' faithful this week. However, I am still cautiously optimistic as they took a gut punch and ultimately came through in a pressure packed situation. Looks like the Apache defense will be a challenge for WHS offense. I do not know much about their offense. What is the scoop?

Gontex
11-12-2011, 09:56 AM
San Marcos Record is reporting the game will be played at New Braunfels Canyon Friday night. Somebody with a pretty darn good football team is going to be going home

Apparently the Record is incorrect. Just heard that the decision on where to play has not been made in fact will be made this morning. Other venues, including Seguin, are being considered.

BLEEDZGREEN
11-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Gonzales by a td.

SHSBulldog00
11-12-2011, 10:00 AM

Their colors are Black, Orange and White.

BLEEDZGREEN
11-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Turrible decision. Just turrible.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2rhvdp5.jpg

I like this field.

Gonzales alum
11-12-2011, 10:02 AM

No we do not. The meeting to decide where we play is in New Braunfels. Lets hope that all we do in New Braunfels.

rb585
11-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Apparently the Record is incorrect.

Tyler Mayforth incorrect? Unpossible!

Seriously, I was wondering why any coach in his right mind would choose to have his kids playing a big playoff game on a red field for the first time. Especially Nelms, given how much more they pass.

Just heard that the decision on where to play has not been made in fact will be made this morning. Other venues, including Seguin, are being considered.

PLEASESEGUINPLEASESEGUINPLEASESEGUIN.

rb585
11-12-2011, 10:05 AM
No we do not. The meeting to decide where we play is in New Braunfels.

Meeting? Does someone not have a phone?

fire_it_up
11-12-2011, 10:05 AM
Guess what I want someone to do?......add a poll!!! (please)

Gonzales alum
11-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Meeting? Does someone not have a phone?

They will not agree on where to play. Hard to do a coin flip over the phone.

rb585
11-12-2011, 10:14 AM

No it's not! We can flip it, and we'll even let your coach call it!

SHSBulldog00
11-12-2011, 10:16 AM

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-devil02.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Gonzales alum
11-12-2011, 10:17 AM
No it's not! We can flip it, and we'll even let your coach call it!

I'm sure they each have a neutral field in mind so they will flip to see which field and flip to see who is the home team.

rb585
11-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Seriously, how can they not agree on Seguin? 40 miles from Wimberley, 33 from Gonzales. Big stadium. TLU's season is over. I wonder if Gonzales is insisting on the red field?

Gonzales alum
11-12-2011, 10:22 AM
I think Seguin would be a great choice. I heard a mention of the Alamodome also. Don't see why Coach Lock would want NB unless they couldn't get the Seguin field.

NastySlot
11-12-2011, 10:32 AM

they could do zip codes over the phone .

wimbo_pro
11-12-2011, 10:33 AM
This should be a great game. It was always assumed for the last few weeks that the best two teams in R4 would be meeting in this very game...but we are just coming off a game where that assumption should be questioned...the Taylor Ducks proved something last night. But anyways, here we are....

Everyone knows what our offensive scheme is...what does Gonzales run? I know someone gave this answer on the Hondo thread, but I have read so many threads lately from around the state about teams I didnt know much about that I am confused (many people would agree with this statement). Tell me more about your year...not asking for team secrets, just stuff I might read in the papers.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-12-2011, 10:36 AM
is the date settled?

lbjacj
11-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Just heard confirmation ...
New Braunfels Canyon Friday!!!

Gonzales alum
11-12-2011, 10:44 AM
is the date settled?

Not yet.

SHSBulldog00
11-12-2011, 11:03 AM

Is that your Final Answer?

lbjacj
11-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Is that your Final Answer?
Straight from the horses' mouth!

Dogs_21
11-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Wimberly by 7!

rb585
11-12-2011, 11:36 AM

:thmbdwn:

Gonzales alum
11-12-2011, 11:56 AM
:thmbdwn:

Is their field really red???

HSFB
11-12-2011, 12:07 PM
I doubt their will be much woofing from Texans' faithful this week. However, I am still cautiously optimistic as they took a gut punch and ultimately came through in a pressure packed situation. Looks like the Apache defense will be a challenge for WHS offense. I do not know much about their offense. What is the scoop?

yes, their D could be challenging for our O but running our O off of Smith will sure as hell make things a whole lot easier for everyone. We have the perfect big physical athletic back, very gifted change of pace guy in Wilson, great QB and WR's. Once we start running the O off of Smith again then things will open up even more for everyone else and there is proven history of this to reference when Smith is featured.

We can be all huggie-feelie in the regular season and pretty much win out but you have to feature Smith in playoff time. I knew that it would eventually bite us in the azz but I expected that potential situation to be a few rounds deep in the playoffs. Again, not knocking anyone else as they are all very talented young men who I have respect for but dang, it is driving me crazy.

YTBulldogs
11-12-2011, 12:30 PM
Awwww, been talking this matchup with my bud wimbo for over a week now. GZ been my R4 #1 ranked team since early in the season. Wimberley was a very close second.

Now, the game is before us, and it's put up, or shut up time. WT got their scare out of the way, and I think they will be totally focused on this one.

But, I'm going with that GZ "D" I been praising all year in this one. They will cause issues and TO's---and once again, place that Apache offense in short fields. Kicking game will decide this one,

GZ wins it late, 24-21.

YTBulldogs
11-12-2011, 01:16 PM
Gontex, how come you did not add a poll to this thread? Love to see the results. Can someone from 3ADL add a poll here?

wimbo_pro
11-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Gontex, how come you did not add a poll to this thread? Love to see the results. Can someone from 3ADL add a poll here?

Betcha the poll will end up 50-50, plus or minus a few votes.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Is their field really red???As RED as it can be. Roll out he red carpet!

YTBulldogs
11-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Pre-game meal at Clear Springs? Love that place.:)

Sportshack
11-12-2011, 01:31 PM
My my...how the worm has turned...all of sudden Wimberley has become the underdog...how cool is it to go into game with underdog chip on shoulder after having the target all season. Of course...all the experts on this board might be right...and I personally do agree that Texans should have never been rated #2 in state. Maybe it should have been Gonzales.

I am going to stick with the Texans however, based on their playoff experience over last 3 seasons now. Regional Final appearance followed by Semi-Final appearance. They have been in some games in recent past.I realize that they have been buried up to their ears with only nose barely sticking out by the board posters but who knows maybe...just maybe...they will do some things on both sides of ball that Gonzales has not faced. Is there a chance oh great Football God? :wave:

YTBulldogs
11-12-2011, 01:34 PM
My my...how the worm has turned...all of sudden Wimberley has become the underdog...how cool is it to go into game with underdog chip on shoulder after having the target all season. Of course...all the experts on this board might be right...and I personally do agree that Texans should have never been rated #2 in state. Maybe it should have been Gonzales.

I am going to stick with the Texans however, based on their playoff experience over last 3 seasons now. Regional Final appearance followed by Semi-Final appearance. They have been in some games in recent past.I realize that they have been buried up to their ears with only nose barely sticking out by the board posters but who knows maybe...just maybe...they will do some things on both sides of ball that Gonzales has not faced. Is there a chance oh great Football God? :wave:

WT is worthy of their ranking Sportshack. Teams that get scared often get it lined out the following weak. GZ is what I been ranking all year too. Will be a sloberknocker and come down to the kicking game/and the team with the most shortest fields IMO.

lbjacj
11-12-2011, 01:38 PM

Yes! A 69% Chance...

http://www.adjustedstats.com/ratings-stats/tools/txhsfbmatchup.php?team1=Gonzales&site=vs.&team2=Wimberley

Although I think the score will probably be much closer than this!

LH Panther Mom
11-12-2011, 01:39 PM

wimbo_pro
11-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Yes! A 69% Chance...

http://www.adjustedstats.com/ratings-stats/tools/txhsfbmatchup.php?team1=Gonzales&site=vs.&team2=Wimberley

Although I think the score will probably be much closer than this!

LOL...thats the same site that gave Taylor a 3% chance to win!!!!

Gontex
11-12-2011, 01:41 PM

Question....How in the world do you come up with WT being the underdogs. Of course they won't be the underdogs. I look for WT to be favored by 7-8 points.

wimbo_pro
11-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Question....How in the world do you come up with WT being the underdogs. Of course they won't be the underdogs. I look for WT to be favored by 7-8 points.

I think he is referring to the real possibility of the Texans being greatly overrated, and the Apaches not.

YTBulldogs
11-12-2011, 01:44 PM

It's called, making Gonzo have the pressure while WT is just lucky to be here. :) Yes, I agree that Harris will have WT favored by 7-10 points.

No way WT is over-rated. It's Wimberley afterall.

wimbo_pro
11-12-2011, 01:45 PM
It's called, making Gonzo have the pressure while WT is just lucky to be here. :) Yes, I agree that Harris will have WT favored by 7-10 points.

You think so, YTB? Even after last night? I dunno....

lbjacj
11-12-2011, 01:51 PM
I think he is referring to the real possibility of the Texans being greatly overrated, and the Apaches not.

Somebody needs to tell Maxpreps we have only played 10 games and are not 12-0.
They have us ranked 26th in the whole state in all classes? Ahead of Cedar Park and Judson? They must have been drinking that same koolaid!

http://www.maxpreps.com/rankings/football/1/section/tx/region+iv.htm

YTBulldogs
11-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Somebody needs to tell Maxpreps we have only played 10 games and are not 12-0.
They have us ranked 26th in the whole state in all classes? Ahead of Cedar Park and Judson? They must have been drinking that same koolaid!

http://www.maxpreps.com/rankings/football/1/section/tx/region+iv.htm

LOL. That's why I hate HS polls. They really have no clue and bet they have not seen most teams play all year on tape or person.

YTBulldogs
11-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Like to seen that Smithville game come about really.

gold_33
11-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Gotta utilize Smith more this week, no question about it!! Wilson is a great RB and is better at finding the lanes on the delays and draws but Smith runs with authority and can wear guys down and open up other opportunities. With him coming in at spot duty everyone keys on him because they know hes getting the ball and he cant get going. If he can play more than 2 plays in a row then teams cant key on him and if they do it should open up some big plays to the receivers. I know he's been injured and had some other issues but if he's there and healthy you gotta find a way to get the ball in his hands and not have him on the sidelines, just my opinion. He is a big time player and you could see that last night when he got the ball how hard he ran and if we want to make some noise in the playoffs then you cant have that guy standing on the sidelines 50% of the time were on offense.

Blue42
11-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Should be a good game I may make the trip with my boys,Gonzo packs a punch on "D" but the Texans "O" can put up some points.

YTBulldogs
11-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Should be a good game I may make the trip with my boys,Gonzo packs a punch on "D" but the Texans "O" can put up some points.

Right on Blue. Both IMO are leaders in R4. WT and the "O", GZ and the "D". Good luck to both. I see it coming down to the kicking game and field position.

Sportshack
11-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Right on Blue. Both IMO are leaders in R4. WT and the "O", GZ and the "D". Good luck to both. I see it coming down to the kicking game and field position.

Wimberley "D" is also pretty good as a rule. Just contributing another layer to the analysis onion. Although, they have recently been downgraded from Code Red status to Code 'Pink" status...LOL.

regaleagle
11-12-2011, 04:18 PM
My question is which team has played the tougher schedule, and which D has allowed more points with the starters in???

YTBulldogs
11-12-2011, 04:24 PM
My question is which team has played the tougher schedule, and which D has allowed more points with the starters in???

WT played the stronger opponents I'd say. But, I'll also say, GZ would still be 11-0 facing that schedule too.

Old Green
11-12-2011, 04:30 PM
So ! Is this game for sure at NB Canyon? I just might go to this one.

YTBulldogs
11-12-2011, 04:35 PM
So ! Is this game for sure at NB Canyon? I just might go to this one.

Yes OG. Friday, 7:30. Should be a good one sir.

Old Green
11-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Yes OG. Friday, 7:30. Should be a good one sir.Thanks YTBulldogs. Might see you there.

lbjacj
11-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Wimberley is #66 and Gonzales #155.
Looks like The Texans had the tougher schedule..

http://www.adjustedstats.com/ratings-stats/txhsfbratings.php#

YTBulldogs
11-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Thanks YTBulldogs. Might see you there. OG, swing by Clear Springs if ya like, for a nice pre-game meal. Trying to get a hold of Big Clem see if he wants to go.

OldNavy
11-12-2011, 05:32 PM
I'll guess Wimbereley by more than a TD. Good luck to both teams.

Gonzales alum
11-12-2011, 06:01 PM
I'll guess Wimbereley by more than a TD. Good luck to both teams.

My prediction is whoever has the ball last wins the game!!!! Go Apaches!!

YTBulldogs
11-12-2011, 06:09 PM

Damn this will be an electric showdown boy's and girl's. Both well coached and some of the best supporting fan's in the world. Hope I can find a seat? Hell, I hope I can find a standing space as far as that goes:)

rb585
11-12-2011, 06:31 PM
So who won the coin flip and picked the red field?

wimbo_pro
11-12-2011, 06:52 PM

There may be more truth to this comment than we all will admit....

Gonzales alum
11-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Not positive but IMO Seguin would've been our first choice if available.

wimbo_pro
11-12-2011, 07:09 PM
Not positive but IMO Seguin would've been our first choice if available.

Ours too, I would think.

YTBulldogs
11-12-2011, 07:14 PM
who is home, wouldn't they be the one that selected NB. Call me nuts, but--I like Canyon Stadium for viewing a game.

rb585
11-12-2011, 07:39 PM
I just have to think that playing on a red field for the first time would be hardest on a QB trying to pass.

That doesn't seem like something Nelms would want to saddle Lambert with.

How many passes did the Gonzales QB complete yesterday?

Tejastrue
11-12-2011, 07:44 PM
I just have to think that playing on a red field for the first time would be hardest on a QB trying to pass.

0 for 3...but I guess you probably know that...:wave:

YTBulldogs
11-12-2011, 07:44 PM

Jon Anthony was 0/3.

HSFB
11-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Gotta utilize Smith more this week, no question about it!! Wilson is a great RB and is better at finding the lanes on the delays and draws but Smith runs with authority and can wear guys down and open up other opportunities. With him coming in at spot duty everyone keys on him because they know hes getting the ball and he cant get going. If he can play more than 2 plays in a row then teams cant key on him and if they do it should open up some big plays to the receivers. I know he's been injured and had some other issues but if he's there and healthy you gotta find a way to get the ball in his hands and not have him on the sidelines, just my opinion. He is a big time player and you could see that last night when he got the ball how hard he ran and if we want to make some noise in the playoffs then you cant have that guy standing on the sidelines 50% of the time were on offense.

gold_33 for president. He gets it. I was so dang pizzed towards the end of the Taylor game thinking that we blew the season by refusing not to go this completely obvious route. Whatever the reason may be for not running the O through Smith needs to be tossed out the damn window as huggie/touchie/feely time is over. It's playoff time.

He is a legitimate big time talent that only comes through a program every so often and to make it even sweeter, he has some OUTSTANDING supporting talent. The stars rarely align like this at a 3A program. In my opinion, the O must go through Smith for a deep playoff run.

wimbo_pro
11-12-2011, 08:07 PM
Smith is the type runner that must handle the ball 20+ times a game. Giving it to him 3-5 times a game is useless, and really...wasteful. You give it to him 20+ times a game, you will reap rewards.

Either you give it him, or you don't. Playing the middle game only hurts the overall game plan. As much as I love Wilson, it isn't happening lately...probably due to the fact that the opposition has keyed on him. As much as I respect him, he is not the talent such as Smith.

HSFB
11-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Smith is the type runner that must handle the ball 20+ times a game. Giving it to him 3-5 times a game is useless, and really...wasteful. You give it to him 20+ times a game, you will reap rewards.

Either you give it him, or you don't. Playing the middle game only hurts the overall game plan. As much as I love Wilson, it isn't happening lately...probably due to the fact that the opposition has keyed on him. As much as I respect him, he is not the talent such as Smith.

well said wimbo. Point is, without Smith (playing RB) and Blakemore on the field, I do not think that a D coord has to overly commit to stopping any one person and I say that with great respect for the other guys but it is just reality. So just imagine how dangerous the O could be by running it through Smith. You have to move an extra guy in the box to defend Smith and that leaves the WR's more space to run. It is such a snowball effect. Now we may be able to continue to win by not doing this but boy, why take the hard route and risk ending your season earlier than expected??????????????????

rb585
11-12-2011, 08:36 PM

Almost.

Wilson is unbelievably good at waiting for blocks and reading them.

Our line this year simply isn't good enough to have people pulling and executing multiple assignments.

Our line is best when they just fire forward and smack the guy in front of them. Plus, Kelley as a lead blocker is an absolute beast.

That's why Dennis out of the I works so well.

wimbo_pro
11-12-2011, 08:59 PM
Almost.

Our line this year simply isn't good enough to have people pulling and executing multiple assignments.

Our line is best when they just fire forward and smack the guy in front of them. Plus, Kelley as a lead blocker is an absolute beast.

Totally Agree!!!

lbjacj
11-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Something else to play with!

Texans 27 Gonzales 14

http://www.highschoolsports.net/massey/matchup/Wimberley-Secondary-School-Wimberley-TX/Football/Varsity/Boys/2011/

Had Wimberley 44 Taylor 0

Tejastrue
11-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Maybe all you guys can get together with Coach Nelms and straighten him out...:wave:

HSFB
11-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Almost.

true, trying to watch a GT play develop is painful. Power I/I and student body right and left with tosses with Smith dotting the I may be good stuff and it is already in the playbook. I bet that we start seeing more and more of this. This squad appears to be better suited for the North/South run plays.

YTBulldogs
11-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Maybe all you guys can get together with Coach Nelms and straighten him out...:wave:

Yeah, right:)

Tejastrue
11-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Yeah, right:)

I'm sure coach Nelms would welcome them to the round table...:D

rb585
11-12-2011, 09:49 PM

Monday is no good for me, but I'll be available after 4:30 on Tuesday.

Have his people contact my people!

fire_it_up
11-12-2011, 09:50 PM
Wow! Lots, and I mean lots, of armchair coaches on this thread. Why doesn't the Wim coach just let y'all go on the field? Lol. I bet he loves being second guessed on decisions constantly.

lbjacj
11-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Wow! Lots, and I mean lots, of armchair coaches on this thread. Why doesn't the Wim coach just let y'all go on the field? Lol. I bet he loves being second guessed on decisions constantly.
I don't believe Nelms gives a hoot about what fans do or say on message boards!

YTBulldogs
11-12-2011, 09:52 PM

Unlike Coack Lock (warpath) I'm sure Nelms don't even know of this site:)

rb585
11-12-2011, 09:54 PM

I'm undefeated in my career. What does Weldon Nelms have to stack up against that?

YTBulldogs
11-12-2011, 09:55 PM
I'm undefeated in my career. What does Weldon Nelms have to stack up against that?

LOL, there ya go.

lbjacj
11-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Hey Gonzales. We got the region 4 championship.
"Come and Take It" if you can!

Tejastrue
11-12-2011, 09:59 PM
I don't believe Nelms gives a hoot about what fans do or say on message boards! :2thumbsup

Tejastrue
11-12-2011, 09:59 PM

Oh man..that was a good one!!!

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1358939168453&id=d609d60301377acf741b6af63a6999c4

fire_it_up
11-12-2011, 10:01 PM

Sam used that slogan on us too. Didn't work so well for them. I'm really enjoying reading all of this extensive knowledge of your team. You realize though that none of this means anything. You can analyze your O until you're blue in the face but the bottom line is you have no idea what to expect from our D.

YTBulldogs
11-12-2011, 10:03 PM

Watch it, they are touchy in regards to that 'lil cannon. SH said they were going to drag it back to SA and put it on display at the Alamo, and it pissed GZ off, and they made them pay:)

Tejastrue
11-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Sam used that slogan on us too. Didn't work so well for them. I'm really enjoying reading all of this extensive knowledge of your team. You realize though that none of this means anything. You can analyze your O until you're blue in the face but the bottom line is you have no idea what to expect from our D.

Nor do you.....:wave:

HSFB
11-12-2011, 10:06 PM

just banter and opinions among armchair experts and that is what this board is all about. You do not get to be as successful as he is by listening to the village idiots, regardless. Show me a passionate fanbase who does not disucss the game. You cannot because it does not exist.

Tejastrue
11-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Watch it, they are touchy in regards to that 'lil cannon. SH said they were going to drag it back to SA and put it on display at the Alamo, and it pissed GZ off, and they made them pay:)

We will "draw the line" in regards to our history and I can promise you that there is not a Texan here that will stoop that low...

YTBulldogs
11-12-2011, 10:11 PM
We will "draw the line" in regards to our history and I can promise you that there is not a Texan here that will stoop that low...

Heard they were breaking out that old cannon in that SH game, and it backed fired after a GZ score and the wheels popped off. Dunno, just heard that.:p

lbjacj
11-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Heard they were breaking out that old cannon in that SH game, and it backed fired after a GZ score and the wheels popped off. Dunno, just heard that.:p

I heard it was a really small cannon.As cannons go.

YTBulldogs
11-12-2011, 10:15 PM
I heard it was a really small cannon.As cannons go. Shoots marbles. But, that Apache "D" is the real weapon:)

Tejastrue
11-12-2011, 10:26 PM

Latest word was pre-mature decannonization....

Gonzales alum
11-12-2011, 10:27 PM

It's on like Donkey Kong big boy!!!!

YTBulldogs
11-12-2011, 10:28 PM

Warned ya Wimberley, stay away from the cannon talk.

regaleagle
11-12-2011, 10:56 PM
I expect those Gonzo boys will be every bit as cantankerous and ready to fight against the odds as their ancestors were. So y'all git ready for a war, Wimberley. This is a game I just wish I could watch in person.

Tejastrue
11-12-2011, 11:00 PM

At least he called you "big boy"...:wave:

YTBulldogs
11-12-2011, 11:00 PM
They do protect that weapon. When I seen that quote in regards to "Come and take it" the R4 title, I said to myself, don't go there. Wait till wimbo states his view of the cannon issue. O'boy.

Tejastrue
11-12-2011, 11:06 PM
I expect those Gonzo boys will be every bit as cantankerous and ready to fight against the odds as their ancestors were. So y'all git ready for a war, Wimberley. This is a game I just wish I could watch in person.

After Friday...I'd say we are battle tested...

bigcat8
11-13-2011, 08:13 AM
I'm sure warpath appreciates you calling him out like that!!!QUOTE=YTBulldogs;1635169]Unlike Coack Lock (warpath) I'm sure Nelms don't even know of this site:)[/QUOTE]

Apache91
11-13-2011, 08:55 AM
Is smith the one that got in trouble last year? i am surprised ya'lls coach even has him on the team. He is very lucky to get a second chance!!! Just like Jackson in Cuero< these boys have all the talent in the world and a bright future in front of them and cant't seem to make the right choices. Why is that? Just wondering.

YTBulldogs
11-13-2011, 10:26 AM
I'm sure warpath appreciates you calling him out like that!!!QUOTE=YTBulldogs;1635169]Unlike Coack Lock (warpath) I'm sure Nelms don't even know of this site:)

Not calling anyone out. He's come on here, and stated directly who warpath is himself. Neat having a coach talk with the fan's from time to time.

R4Editor
11-13-2011, 10:38 AM
Region IV GOTW

I expect another Great One this Week. Let this be a stickie

Manso/V8
11-13-2011, 11:26 AM
When is Blakemore going to return?

lbjacj
11-13-2011, 11:28 AM
When is Blakemore going to return?

This week is what I heard.

Manso/V8
11-13-2011, 11:37 AM
C'mon Wimberley, quit being so shy, I miss the swagger!

The Texans were challenged by the Ducks, but yall battled it out and got the W with class and sportsmanship....certified by one of the Zebras working the game. Those are true style points! The Texans are a better team after last Friday's game. I like your chances better now than I did before.

Manso/V8
11-13-2011, 11:39 AM
This week is what I heard.

I hope that's true.
From the highlights I have seen, that should make a big difference in more ways that one.

wimbo_pro
11-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Is smith the one that got in trouble last year? i am surprised ya'lls coach even has him on the team. He is very lucky to get a second chance!!! Just like Jackson in Cuero< these boys have all the talent in the world and a bright future in front of them and cant't seem to make the right choices. Why is that? Just wondering.

Smith did get in trouble last year, he left school, but returned a few weeks later and he had to sit out 4 weeks of the play offs while he served his penalty in the "box" (I forget what they call it here, but thats the name for it when I was in school...you spend all day isolated from the student body). He came back the last game, but only played 6 or 7 plays all night. He was injured for 6 weeks BEFORE this 4 week suspension of play, so he was a non-factor all year.

Regarding this year, to my knowledge, he has really gotten his act together, kept his nose clean, raised his grades to acceptable levels, and has really come around. I don't know the details of Jackson, but I was really disappointed to hear he got in trouble as well. Both Jackson and Smith stay in touch, Dennis has even called him one of his best friends...at least thats what he told me some time ago.

As far as I see it...he messed up, got caught, served his time, raised his conduct and has now (seemingly) straightened out his life. I wish him the best after HS.

wimbo_pro
11-13-2011, 11:49 AM
They do protect that weapon. When I seen that quote in regards to "Come and take it" the R4 title, I said to myself, don't go there. Wait till wimbo states his view of the cannon issue. O'boy.

OK...I'm not sure I fully understand this cannon talk (of course I know the history, I mean in terms of football smacktalk). The last thing I would want to do is insult fellow Texans over something as iconic and symbolic as the famous cannon (does the original cannon really still exist?). So, before I make any comments on the posts going back and forth about it...someone from Gonzales please fill me in on this issue. Is it insulting to to you to use it in smack talk? Or are you guys just kidding about it?

Tejastrue
11-13-2011, 12:52 PM
For myself I will say this..if any Gonzales supporter here (or anyone else for that matter) has been offended by the posting of the flag or the use of the "come and take it" slogan and any references made, then I offer my humble apology. Believe me there was never any derogatory intent...personally, I will not go there again.

Now.. I am sure there are plenty of other topics we can choose from to make it a great smack-talk week leading up to Friday night...

We had our scare last Friday and I know the Gonzales people are licking their chops right now. Let me hear it from you Apache fans on just how confident you really are???

Sportshack
11-13-2011, 01:00 PM
C'mon Wimberley, quit being so shy, I miss the swagger!

The Texans were challenged by the Ducks, but yall battled it out and got the W with class and sportsmanship....certified by one of the Zebras working the game. Those are true style points! The Texans are a better team after last Friday's game. I like your chances better now than I did before.

Hey...C'mon Manso...what are you trying to pull here...the Texans officially became the underdog after friday nite!!! :stirpot: I am sure the Texans and and their fans understand the team will probably barely be able to get out of New Braunfels with their proverbial scalps in tact. Just a bunch of over rated, over hyped, molly coddled, soft hill country kids that do not have a chance against the great Gonzales defense. Maybe the Texans can get a defensive score and hold on for dear life!!!!

crabman
11-13-2011, 01:43 PM
I may be totally off base here but I am not drinking the Gonzales Kool Aid. Wimberly 42-14.

lbjacj
11-13-2011, 01:46 PM
I may be totally off base here but I am not drinking the Gonzales Kool Aid. Wimberly 42-14.

I would love for you to be right but no one has put up points like that against the apache's D. I see it being more like 20-14 type game.

Gontex
11-13-2011, 01:49 PM

I'm thinking this was Wimberley's choice because the first place I read it mentioned was in the San Marcos Record early Saturday morning in their story about the Texans victory over Taylor. Apaches will be all in black.

lbjacj
11-13-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm thinking this was Wimberley's choice because the first place I read it mentioned was in the San Marcos Record early Saturday morning in their story about the Texans victory over Taylor. Apaches will be all in black.

Gonzales is the home team.

Gontex
11-13-2011, 01:53 PM

I'm technologically challenged. (translation: I don't have the slightest idea how to do that.)

lbjacj
11-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Here's some coverage of the Gonzales/Hondo game....

http://forum.gonzalescannon.com/node/7303

wimbo_pro
11-13-2011, 03:57 PM
No one will tell me about the cannon issue? Is it really something that is taken offensively? I'd like to understand why, if so. Needless to say, I'm not going there...but would like to understand the reasoning. After all, we are ALL Texans, and we should all see things the same way when it comes to such things.

rb585
11-13-2011, 03:59 PM
No one will tell me about the cannon issue? Is it really something that is taken offensively? I'd like to understand why, if so. Needless to say, I'm not going there...but would like to understand the reasoning. After all, we are ALL Texans, and we should all see things the same way when it comes to such things.

Jeez, man, how badly did you fail 7th grade Texas History? :wave:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Gonzales

lbjacj
11-13-2011, 04:01 PM
Gonzales has two newspapers? Here's another game recap...

http://www.gonzalesinquirer.com/sports/article_d2f8bdbc-0d06-11e1-abdf-001cc4c03286.html

rb585
11-13-2011, 04:01 PM

No way in the world Wimberley scores 42 on Gonzales, even with Blakemore back. Heck, we wouldn't get 42 even if we suited up Micheal Buse and Mikey Meeks.

wimbo_pro
11-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Jeez, man, how badly did you fail 7th grade Texas History? :wave:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Gonzales

RB..I am well aware of the cannon and Gonzales and the meaning of it...hell, I was there when it happened!! LOL I am asking about comments being taken offensively by some from Gonzales. The comments don't offend me, and I am 100% Texan. But I want to hear from those who live there...and why it would be taken as such.

warhorsejoe
11-13-2011, 04:19 PM
No way in the world Wimberley scores 42 on Gonzales, even with Blakemore back. Heck, we wouldn't get 42 even if we suited up Micheal Buse and Mikey Meeks.

Now there's a Humbel and sensible post.

wimbo_pro
11-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Their Defense is unlike anything we have seen to date (this year, anyways).

Gonzales alum
11-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Their Defense is unlike anything we have seen to date (this year, anyways).
You could also say we have not seen a team like Wimberley.

wimbo_pro
11-13-2011, 04:37 PM
You could also say we have not seen a team like Wimberley.

Yep...we seem pretty evenly matched, when you look at the big picture. In such cases, the intangibles become so important...not to mention turn overs and opportunities siezed at every turn. I got a feeling whomever comes into this game with their heads on straight will win it.

Gonzales alum
11-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Yep...we seem pretty evenly matched, when you look at the big picture. In such cases, the intangibles become so important...not to mention turn overs and opportunities siezed at every turn. I got a feeling whomever comes into this game with their heads on straight will win it.

I agree with you. IMO Gonzales comes in as the underdog due to the history of the Wimberley program. I look for it to be a hard fought battle with the victor being the team coming in and playing their very best game. You have to know that each coaching staff will prepare their boys. Especially Wimberley since they had a scare with Taylor.

Gontex
11-13-2011, 05:54 PM

Wimbo,
Yes there really is a cannon. It presently is on display at the Gonzales Memorial Museum. Just recently returned from run a big historical museum in Houston. For me personally, it does not offend me to hear someone use this term. "Come and Take It". It is used everywhere now. You see it at college football games, with demonstrations in lots of place, heck, I've even seen it displayed on game day. You can say what you want, but you aint gonna get our cannon!!!!

wimbo_pro
11-13-2011, 05:56 PM
Wimbo,
You can say what you want, but you aint gonna get our cannon!!!!

There we go!! Good Texas humor....I knew it was there somewhere!! LOLOL

fire_it_up
11-13-2011, 07:51 PM

Well, if you want us to "Come and Take It", I guess that's what we'll have to do. Y'all invited us, we would hate to be rude ;) Actually, Come and Take It is used almost as often as Scalp the Apaches. We'll just send you packin' like Santa Anna's army. Oh, and we'll be using our 'lil cannon, and the big ones too. :)

toddg
11-13-2011, 09:24 PM
i have to root for wimberley cause thats who i picked to win div2 in my bracket...but texan in me likes gonzales, because the men of gonzales were the only ones to heed travis's call for aid at the alamo!!

Manso/V8
11-13-2011, 09:32 PM
i have to root for wimberley cause thats who i picked to win div2 in my bracket...but texan in me likes gonzales, because the men of gonzales were the only ones to heed travis's call for aid at the alamo!!

Refresh my memory, what became of those valiant men from Gonzales that heeded Travis's call?

lbjacj
11-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Brady Lambert on Fanstand...

http://siteadmin.talkradio1370am.com/sites/default/files/audio/postgamebidistrictWT.mp3

Gontex
11-13-2011, 09:55 PM
Refresh my memory, what became of those valiant men from Gonzales that heeded Travis's call?

Okay boys, gather around. I am going to teach you a little Texas History that you obviously missed back in the seventh grade. 32 men from Gonzales answered Travis' call and went to the Alamo to help Travis. When the siege was over and Santa Ana attacked, all 32 were killed with all the other Texicans in the Alamo. Susan Dickinson who was Lt. Dickinson's wife was allowed to leave the mission after the fight and went to Gonzales and told of the slaughter at the Alamo. Sam Houston was near Gonzales putting together his army. Fearing Santa Ana would come eastward to attack the rest of the Texicans, Gonzales was put to the torch and an event known as the Runaway Scrape began. Texicans fled toward the east ending up near Harrisburg. (Houston). Houston's army caught Santa Ana's army having their siesta and attacked defeating the Mexican general and his army. If you have ever gone to the Alamo, it is more about the men from Gonzales than anything else. You are welcome, now leave our cannon alone. LOL.

toddg
11-13-2011, 09:56 PM

they parrished along with the others...two of them were under 15 years old..a mexican officer remarked in his diary that a texas boy no older than 14, fought so violenty it took 2 men to pry his lifeless hands from a dead mexican soldeirs neck..

lbjacj
11-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Okay boys, gather around. I am going to teach you a little Texas History that you obviously missed back in the seventh grade. 32 men from Gonzales answered Travis' call and went to the Alamo to help Travis. When the siege was over and Santa Ana attacked, all 32 were killed with all the other Texicans in the Alamo. Susan Dickinson who was Lt. Dickinson's wife was allowed to leave the mission after the fight and went to Gonzales and told of the slaughter at the Alamo. Sam Houston was near Gonzales putting together his army. Fearing Santa Ana would come eastward to attack the rest of the Texicans, Gonzales was put to the torch and an event known as the Runaway Scrape began. Texicans fled toward the east ending up near Harrisburg. (Houston). Houston's army caught Santa Ana's army having their siesta and attacked defeating the Mexican general and his army. If you have ever gone to the Alamo, it is more about the men from Gonzales than anything else. You are welcome, now leave our cannon alone. LOL.

I have always been fascinated with the history of our great state. We owe a big thank you to the stubborn folks of Gonzales who refused to give up that little cannon!:cheerl:

Gonzales alum
11-13-2011, 10:02 PM

They were called the Immortal 32!!! Hence they gave their lives for Texas Independence. We have a celebration every first weekend in October. U can get off ur High Horse and attend if u like and get a nice welcome!!!

fire_it_up
11-13-2011, 10:35 PM
We are VERY proud if our little town's history and it's courageous ancestors. It's best to leave the history books out of this battle.

Sportshack
11-14-2011, 09:07 AM
What day is it? Is it Friday yet? Ready to Swing by and get some Bosses Pizza in New Braunfels before heading out to game!! Da...duh...da...duh...da...GO TEXANS!!!

wimbo_pro
11-14-2011, 09:13 AM
We are VERY proud if our little town's history and it's courageous ancestors. It's best to leave the history books out of this battle.

Absolutely agree to leave it out...if its disrespectful (or taken as disrespectful by you guys). Remember...we are ALL Texans, and I get chills reading about it. We won't put up with ANY disrespect to our history. I consider the Alamo as hallowed ground when I go there, and the men of Gonzales are a great example of the Texas spirit. The spirit of the men from Tennessee also makes me proud.

This has been a great discussion!! I am now going to make a trip to Gonzales...embarrassed I have not been there yet (drove through it once, didn't take any time to visit).

Question...why the heck did you name yourself the Apaches? It should have been the Texans, or Texians, or Texicans, or the Patriots!!!!

YTBulldogs
11-14-2011, 09:31 AM

Heard Sam Houston had to recruit the men of Yoakum to get the job done.:p

YTBulldogs
11-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Can't help but believe the Gonzo "D" will contain Wimberley for the most part. WT too good and will have some success moving the ball. Also believe WT will contain GZ for the most part too, but--GZ will move the ball as well.

This bad boy will come down to field position and the kicking game IMO.

SHSBulldog00
11-14-2011, 10:43 AM
I'll take Wimberley by 7.

wimbo_pro
11-14-2011, 11:48 AM
I'll take Wimberley by 7.

Thats kinda what I'm thinking too, SHSBulldog....maybe 10.

YTBulldogs
11-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Thats kinda what I'm thinking too, SHSBulldog....maybe 10.

Was thinking those numbers as well wimbo. Something like 24-14 Gonzo?

Gonzales alum
11-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Heard Sam Houston had to recruit the men of Yoakum to get the job done.:p

Hope those guys faired better than your boys did against Sam Houston this year!!!

YTBulldogs
11-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Hope those guys faired better than your boys did against Sam Houston this year!!!

LOL. Yes, those guys were not as big as those this year:p

wimbo_pro
11-14-2011, 03:03 PM

Ouch.

fire_it_up
11-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Question...why the heck did you name yourself the Apaches? It should have been the Texans, or Texians, or Texicans, or the Patriots!!!!

I would have to guess because then we could have our awesome fight song that people don't forget. I can't think of any other mascot better than the Mighty Apaches. We also get to be called The Tribe, and the Apache Nation, and games are played on the Reservation. By the way, the whole Apache Nation will be showing up for this one. It will be a packed house and loud. We are loud during regular season. The town is pretty pumped up for the boys to be in the playoffs. The whole "Reservation" will be there to watch us pull out this win!:clap:

YTBulldogs
11-14-2011, 03:53 PM
I would have to guess because then we could have our awesome fight song that people don't forget. I can't think of any other mascot better than the Mighty Apaches. We also get to be called The Tribe, and the Apache Nation, and games are played on the Reservation. By the way, the whole Apache Nation will be showing up for this one. It will be a packed house and loud. We are loud during regular season. The town is pretty pumped up for the boys to be in the playoffs. The whole "Reservation" will be there to watch us pull out this win!:clap:

fire_it_up, ya'll having one of those awesome city wide pep rally's for this game?

Tejastrue
11-14-2011, 04:22 PM

Getting a little ahead of yourself huh fire...you guys feeling pretty confident right now, especially with how our game went with Taylor. We shall see but I gotta pretty good feeling your Apaches will have to return to the reservation until next August, come late Friday night! And by the way..we travel pretty well overselves...

YTBulldogs
11-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Getting a little ahead of yourself huh fire...you guys feeling pretty confident right now, especially with how our game went with Taylor. We shall see but I gotta pretty good feeling your Apaches will have to return to the reservation until next August, come late Friday night! And by the way..we travel pretty well overselves...

fatal mistake taking anything out of that Taylor game. Except, WT don't like to get smacked that hard. And, that came from your own.

Tejastrue
11-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Getting a little ahead of yourself huh fire...you guys feeling pretty confident right now, especially with how our game went with Taylor. We shall see but I gotta pretty good feeling your Apaches will have to return to the reservation until next August, come late Friday night! And by the way..we travel pretty well ourselves...

fatal mistake taking anything out of that Taylor game. Except, WT don't like to get smacked that hard. And, that came from your own.

Please... show me where a passive statement like that was made. The Texans found out how close to "one and done" they were ...they know what's expected...I can promise you that Gonzales will get our best come Friday and I believe it will be more than enough...

fire_it_up
11-14-2011, 04:53 PM

You don't have the copyrights to confidence. All of you Wimberly posters are the same. You think its completely okay for you to make your projections about how you'll beat us by 7, or 10, but the minute we show a little confidence you want to say we're talking smack. I do think we'll win, and its not overconfidence. I just believe in my team, as well, I should. We are 11-0, aren't we? What kind of fan would I be if I said, "Well, I hope we win, just do your best." This isn't kindergarten! Almost only works in hand grenades and horse shoes. It's win or go home. Ya'll want to dish it out on here but don't like it when its handed back. Do I think that it'll be a fight? Yes, but I think we'll come out on top and if you don't like me supporting my team then that's just too bad!!!:stirpot:

YTBulldogs
11-14-2011, 05:02 PM
You don't have the copyrights to confidence. All of you Wimberly posters are the same. You think its completely okay for you to make your projections about how you'll beat us by 7, or 10, but the minute we show a little confidence you want to say we're talking smack. I do think we'll win, and its not overconfidence. I just believe in my team, as well, I should. We are 11-0 dammit! What kind of fan would I be if I said, "Well, I hope we win, just do your best." This isn't kindergarten! Almost only works in hand grenades and horse shoes. It's win or go home. Ya'll want to dish it out on here but don't like it when its handed back. Do I think that it'll be a fight? Yes, but I think we'll come out on top and if you don't like me supporting my team then that's just too bad!!!:stirpot:

You go girl.:cheerl: Need more GZ posters like you. Sweet. Now, be ready for wimbo_pro coming back at ya. It's all good though. Hell, there might be 20,000 at this game.

Tejastrue
11-14-2011, 05:03 PM
You don't have the copyrights to confidence. All of you Wimberly posters are the same. You think its completely okay for you to make your projections about how you'll beat us by 7, or 10, but the minute we show a little confidence you want to say we're talking smack. I do think we'll win, and its not overconfidence. I just believe in my team, as well, I should. We are 11-0 dammit! What kind of fan would I be if I said, "Well, I hope we win, just do your best." This isn't kindergarten! Almost only works in hand grenades and horse shoes. It's win or go home. Ya'll want to dish it out on here but don't like it when its handed back. Do I think that it'll be a fight? Yes, but I think we'll come out on top and if you don't like me supporting my team then that's just too bad!!!:stirpot:

Listen to yourself :mad:. I can easily debate who I believe is the better team so you get over it...You can say what you want and I can counter..what's wrong with that???:doh:

YTBulldogs
11-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Please... show me where a passive statement like that was made. The Texans found out how close to "one and done" they were ...they know what's expected...I can promise you that Gonzales will get our best come Friday and I believe it will be more than enough...

I was telling the GZ fan's not to underestimate ya'll based on the Taylor game. I heard from some WT fan's, Taylor smashed them harder then anyone this year.

wimbo_pro
11-14-2011, 05:13 PM
You don't have the copyrights to confidence. All of you Wimberly posters are the same. You think its completely okay for you to make your projections about how you'll beat us by 7, or 10, but the minute we show a little confidence you want to say we're talking smack. I do think we'll win, and its not overconfidence. I just believe in my team, as well, I should. We are 11-0, aren't we? What kind of fan would I be if I said, "Well, I hope we win, just do your best." This isn't kindergarten! Almost only works in hand grenades and horse shoes. It's win or go home. Ya'll want to dish it out on here but don't like it when its handed back. Do I think that it'll be a fight? Yes, but I think we'll come out on top and if you don't like me supporting my team then that's just too bad!!!:stirpot:
Settle Down, Stands With Confidence. We know you Apaches are as confident as we are...its just some gentle smacktalk back and forth...no one is saying you shouldnt show confidence, in fact, we would be worried if you didn't! We can take it, but we will fire back...so be prepared!

Tejastrue
11-14-2011, 05:13 PM
I was telling the GZ fan's not to underestimate ya'll based on the Taylor game. I heard from some WT fan's, Taylor smashed them harder then anyone this year.

I don't deny that YT and it had us reeling a good part of the game but we took it and managed to still get the win. To me that game was about character.. at least that's my opinion...

YTBulldogs
11-14-2011, 05:15 PM
I don't deny that YT and it had us reeling a good part of the game but we took it and managed to still get the win. To me that game was about character.. at least that's my opinion...

I agree Tt, and like I said---a dangerous team is a team that got the chit scared out of them the week before. It will be a great game IMO.

Tejastrue
11-14-2011, 05:56 PM
Settle Down, Stands With Confidence. We know you Apaches are as confident as we are...its just some gentle smacktalk back and forth...no one is saying you shouldnt show confidence, in fact, we would be worried if you didn't! We can take it, but we will fire back...so be prepared!

Okay..that was a classic..:clap:

neck_06
11-14-2011, 06:08 PM
Wimberley by 17.

HSFB
11-14-2011, 06:15 PM
with all due respect to our Gonzales brethren. Wimberley 31 to 14 due to players being stoked coming off a “bad” game and coaching/game plan.

One thought on the bad game theory. Many times the other team just plays lights out and it is their night no matter how hard you prepared or played and that is what I think happened in the Taylor game. They just happened to play arguably their best game ever as a squad this year which led to a challenging game to say the very least. So I’m not sold at all on the assumption that Wimberley played bad in general, I just think that the other team had “one of those nights”. It happens. Just look at Pearland’s upset of Euless Trinity in last year’s state game. Trinity was ranked #1 in the nation and Pearland upset them and that is with Pearland losing arguably their most dynamic player early in the 1st quarter.

Everyone thought that Cold Spring was this that and a bag of cracker jacks and they probably are but they barely beat Bridge City on Saturday 7 to 0.

So all the chest thumping I told you so posts on this and that can pretty much check yourself right now as it was just one game and I’ll make the prediction that this coaching staff has these guys playing ball in Dallas on December 16th. Fire away…

neck_06
11-14-2011, 06:17 PM
with all due respect to our Gonzales brethren. Wimberley 31 to 14 due to players being stoked coming off a “bad” game and coaching/game plan.

One thought on the bad game theory. Many times the other team just plays lights out and it is their night no matter how hard you prepared or played and that is what I think happened in the Taylor game. They just happened to play arguably their best game ever as a squad this year which led to a challenging game to say the very least. So I’m not sold at all on the assumption that Wimberley played bad in general, I just think that the other team had “one of those nights”. It happens. Just look at Pearland’s upset of Euless Trinity in last year’s state game. Trinity was ranked #1 in the nation and Pearland upset them and that is with Pearland losing arguably their most dynamic player early in the 1st quarter.

Everyone thought that Cold Spring was this that and a bag of cracker jacks and they probably are but they barely beat Bridge City on Saturday 7 to 0.

So all the chest thumping I told you so posts on this and that can pretty much check yourself right now as it was just one game and I’ll make the prediction that this coaching staff has these guys playing ball in Dallas on December 16th. Fire away…

You could've just said, "I agree...Wimberley by 17." Lol

Tejastrue
11-14-2011, 06:20 PM

That's not how we do things around here neck_06...:D

HSFB
11-14-2011, 06:36 PM

Well one thing I learned about this board is that, believe it or not, some can take this board babble personal so thus the “with all due respect” qualifier.

But here goes...I agree, Wimberley by 17

ah, board therapy at its finest.

fire_it_up
11-14-2011, 06:42 PM
Well one thing I learned about this board is that, believe it or not, some can take this board babble personal so thus the “with all due respect” qualifier.

But here goes...I agree, Wimberley by 17

ah, board therapy at its finest.

Looks like someone's feeling confident.

Tejastrue
11-14-2011, 07:24 PM

There is an air of confidence all around from Wimberley to Gonzales...

wimbo_pro
11-14-2011, 07:43 PM

I suspect you guys are as well. At least, I hope so.

wimbo_pro
11-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Okay..that was a classic..:clap:

Glad you caught that one!!!

lbjacj
11-14-2011, 07:45 PM
Glad you caught that one!!!

Just bought that one on Blu Ray!

wimbo_pro
11-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Just bought that one on Blu Ray!

Besides Lonesome Dove and Band of Brothers...the best movie-series ever made!!!

garciap77
11-14-2011, 08:50 PM
Besides Lonesome Dove and Band of Brothers...the best movie-series ever made!!!

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/shutup-1-1.jpg

:D

wimbo_pro
11-14-2011, 09:35 PM
Now THAT hurt.

garciap77
11-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Now THAT hurt.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Smilies/_thb_MG_Just_Kidding1-1.gif

Wimberley by as much as they want!!!:)

wimbo_pro
11-14-2011, 09:47 PM
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Smilies/_thb_MG_Just_Kidding1-1.gif

That's better!!!

apache78
11-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Dang, you'd think snotbubbles has several alias'. Lot's of lively talk guys and it should be a great one. It will probably be a very physical game and it will come down to each 16-18 year old kid down their deciding if they want all 4 quarters of it or if they'd really rather be deer hunting.

Tejastrue
11-14-2011, 10:59 PM
Dang, you'd think snotbubbles has several alias'. Lot's of lively talk guys and it should be a great one. It will probably be a very physical game and it will come down to each 16-18 year old kid down their deciding if they want all 4 quarters of it or if they'd really rather be deer hunting.

I don't think the kids on either team are quite ready for the deer hunting thing do you 78...:thinking:

rb585
11-14-2011, 11:43 PM

I think these predictions are totally backwards.

Wimberley by 71!

Sportshack
11-15-2011, 12:04 AM

I was one of the ones who said Taylor was the most physical team on offense that WHS had played this year. It was a dog fight. That was intended to be a compliment to the Ducks. Make no mistake about it...the Texans defense is very physical as well and have been all year. They rally to the ball very, very well. In fact, The Texans held that Ducks offense to 3 points in 2nd half before the ducks took to the air with 52 seconds left. The Ducks pulled off the tie with a few pass plays. They then scored on another pass in 1st OT. They were no longer moving ball well on ground. Texans fans were lamenting the early running success because that had not happened to the Texans in that fashion all season. Hopefully, the experience will serve the Texans well against another team that likes to control ball.

I wonder if the more interesting matchup might be the Apache offense v the Texans defense. I think that we will do more than fine but perhaps they will just be too much for our defensive front.

SHSBulldog00
11-15-2011, 01:03 PM
What to Expect

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Battle/fighting-230.GIF

wimbo_pro
11-15-2011, 01:23 PM
nm..

Sportshack
11-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Gonzales Apaches notable wins in 2011...Sam Houston 8-2, Hondo 8-2 and Yoakum 6-4. Also, Columbus 4-6 and Lavernia 5-5 deserve a mention since their are still alive in playoffs.

Wimberley Texans notable wins in 2011...Sealy 8-2, Canyon Lake 8-2, Dripping Springs 7-3, Navarro 6-4, Boerne 6-4, and same mention of La Vernia 5-5 and I wil throw in Taylor 3-7 since it was a playoff game and the Ducks played for a share of district championship the week before and aquitted themselves well.

Looks like both teams had a good season. I guess 10-0 and 11-0 is a simpler way to assess. Just playing around with who has played who.

wimbo_pro
11-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Now that the most recent stats are out, I found time to go over them in detail. I know, I know…stats are for losers! But hell, I like doing this, so bare with me (or stop reading now…your choice!). This is what makes the play-off’s so interesting to me. http://www.adjustedstats.com/ratings-stats/txhsfbratings.php?year=2011&class=3A

Here is my modified prediction, and the reasons I am thinking this way:

Gonzales has a better rating on Defense than Wimberley (19.92 versus 17.50) *Advantage Gonzales
Wimberley has a substantially better rating on Offense than Gonzales (45.91 versus 36.58) *Advantage Wimberley
Wimberley scored more points per game than Gonzales (41 ppg versus 35 ppg) *Advantage Wimberley
Gonzales allowed FAR less points per game than Wimberley (6.5 ppg versus 14.7 ppg) *Advantage Gonzales
However, Gonzales achieved these advantages against a much weaker schedule (37.11 versus 27.59) *Advantage Wimberley
Wimberley has a higher Power rating (63.41 versus 56.50) *Advantage Wimberley

Last weeks game was an eye opener for Wimberley, the toughest games we have played since Coldspring last year (possibly Sealy, but I don’t think so). Our head is on straight, we know we can be beat by Gonzales if we do not bring our A game. Gonzales has not seen a VERY versatile offense such as the Texans, and will struggle to stop it. Our Defense will bend, but will figure out Gonzales by the 3rd quarter. We will not score as many points, but nor will they...not even close to their average. Ball control will become a major factor, and we have the offense to make that happen.

Wimberley 30…Gonzales 20

wimbo_pro
11-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Gonzales Apaches notable wins in 2011...Sam Houston 8-2, Hondo 8-2 and Yoakum 6-4. Also, Columbus 4-6 and Lavernia 5-5 deserve a mention since their are still alive in playoffs.

Wimberley Texans notable wins in 2011...Sealy 8-2, Canyon Lake 8-2, Dripping Springs 7-3, Navarro 6-4, Boerne 6-4, and same mention of La Vernia 5-5 and I wil throw in Taylor 3-7 since it was a playoff game and the Ducks played for a share of district championship the week before and aquitted themselves well.

Looks like both teams had a good season. I guess 10-0 and 11-0 is a simpler way to assess. Just playing around with who has played who.

All good points, Sportshack.

YTBulldogs
11-15-2011, 02:21 PM
I wish both teams well. Both teams are capable of beating one another, that I know.

Like I said, I'm the lucky one here. Just a HS football fan, fixing to see some good football with ton's of excitement delivered by two fine communities. Thanks Gonzales and Wimberley. No other place I'd like to be, then at NB Canyon this Friday.

Sportshack
11-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Other points of interest for these fine football teams. Gonzales returns a bunch of players from a 7-3 team in 2010. There are 9 seniors on the defense I believe. They went 3-3 in district and just missed the playoffs. The Texans also return a bunch of players from a 14-1 team in 2010. Therefore, 2 senior laden squads that have aquitted themselves well.

wimbo_pro
11-15-2011, 02:42 PM

I think this might speak to the "fact" (in my mind, anyways) that we are battle-tested more than Gonzales. This intangible can be very important in the waning moments of a close game.

YTBulldogs
11-15-2011, 02:45 PM
I think this might speak to the "fact" (in my mind, anyways) that we are battle-tested more than Gonzales. This intangible can be very important in the waning moments of a close game.

Agree wp. Can't replace experience and the knowing you can do it if confronted with a "game on the line" situation. Why I said, the Taylor game makes ya'll more dangerous. Not a sign of weakness.

Gonzales alum
11-15-2011, 03:03 PM

I guess we could say the same thing about your game with Alvarado. I will be very surprised if more than 40 points are scored between both teams. Both teams will show up ready to play. The difference will be which team plays the best mistake free ball.

YTBulldogs
11-15-2011, 03:24 PM
Just can't see the Big Guy allowing the Apaches to think the WT/Taylor results gives GZ any edge. They are fully aware, from what I'm hearing over there from several friends---Texans has earned the Apaches full respect.

wimbo_pro
11-15-2011, 04:29 PM
Just can't see the Big Guy allowing the Apaches to think the WT/Taylor results gives GZ any edge. They are fully aware, from what I'm hearing over there from several friends---Texans has earned the Apaches full respect.

I can appreciate that...but their respect oughta go to Taylor. Man O' man, they were good. I wonder what they're graduating this year?

YTBulldogs
11-15-2011, 04:32 PM
I can appreciate that...but their respect oughta go to Taylor. Man O' man, they were good. I wonder what they're graduating this year?

If they were playing Taylor, I'm sure they would wp. But, it's ya'll they have in front of them and their goal.

wimbo_pro
11-15-2011, 06:13 PM
Hey Texan Fans...ZebraBlue (who officiated the game with his son as well) is asking on another thread for a box score from the Taylor game. I know one of you posted it (can't remember who), and I cant find one on line. Can you help?

lbjacj
11-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Hey Texan Fans...ZebraBlue (who officiated the game with his son as well) is asking on another thread for a box score from the Taylor game. I know one of you posted it (can't remember who), and I cant find one on line. Can you help?

Here you go...

Have not seen Taylor's stats

http://pbstats.pointstreak.com/boxscore.html?gameid=31382

ogg
11-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Now that the most recent stats are out, I found time to go over them in detail. I know, I know…stats are for losers! But hell, I like doing this, so bare with me (or stop reading now…your choice!). This is what makes the play-off’s so interesting to me. http://www.adjustedstats.com/ratings-stats/txhsfbratings.php?year=2011&class=3A

Here is my modified prediction, and the reasons I am thinking this way:

Gonzales has a better rating on Defense than Wimberley (19.92 versus 17.50) *Advantage Gonzales
Wimberley has a substantially better rating on Offense than Gonzales (45.91 versus 36.58) *Advantage Wimberley
Wimberley scored more points per game than Gonzales (41 ppg versus 35 ppg) *Advantage Wimberley
Gonzales allowed FAR less points per game than Wimberley (6.5 ppg versus 14.7 ppg) *Advantage Gonzales
However, Gonzales achieved these advantages against a much weaker schedule (37.11 versus 27.59) *Advantage Wimberley
Wimberley has a higher Power rating (63.41 versus 56.50) *Advantage Wimberley

Last weeks game was an eye opener for Wimberley, the toughest games we have played since Coldspring last year (possibly Sealy, but I don’t think so). Our head is on straight, we know we can be beat by Gonzales if we do not bring our A game. Gonzales has not seen a VERY versatile offense such as the Texans, and will struggle to stop it. Our Defense will bend, but will figure out Gonzales by the 3rd quarter. We will not score as many points, but nor will they...not even close to their average. Ball control will become a major factor, and we have the offense to make that happen.

Wimberley 30…Gonzales 20
Agree. Taylor, as a whole, was the best team Wimberley played since Coldspring. And by the way, Coldspring’s D is a monster this year.

ogg
11-15-2011, 09:44 PM
Here you go...

Have not seen Taylor's stats

http://pbstats.pointstreak.com/boxscore.html?gameid=31382

Not a bad night for Lambert.

LV_Bearfan
11-15-2011, 10:07 PM
Not a bad night for Lambert.

Gonzales will control the ball. Apaches win 28-21.

wimbo_pro
11-15-2011, 11:24 PM

I think its clear that this game will come down to who controls the game clock...so I think we agree on the premise of your comment. I obviously disagree with just WHO will control the ball (ie., clock), but thats ok.

Sportshack
11-15-2011, 11:35 PM

I am curious why you seem so determined that Gonzales will win this game? Seriously, LV played both teams. Both WHS and Gonzales pretty well shut down LV offense. WHS scored early and often and put the game away early. Gonzales apparently controlled the ball putting up 14 points. It seems LV was in Gonzales game for quite awhile unless last score was very late. I know it does not matter in the upcoming game but the fact that you have seen both teams play and feel so comfortable that Gonzales will win the game intrigues me. You seem to be suggesting that they will somehow do something to WHS that they could not do to you, namely control the ball and put up points.

buff4ever
11-16-2011, 09:47 AM
I am curious why you seem so determined that Gonzales will win this game? Seriously, LV played both teams. Both WHS and Gonzales pretty well shut down LV offense. WHS scored early and often and put the game away early. Gonzales apparently controlled the ball putting up 14 points. It seems LV was in Gonzales game for quite awhile unless last score was very late. I know it does not matter in the upcoming game but the fact that you have seen both teams play and feel so comfortable that Gonzales will win the game intrigues me. You seem to be suggesting that they will somehow do something to WHS that they could not do to you, namely control the ball and put up points.

Or maybe bearfan is just simply supporting the district in this game. I think wimberley wins the game, but it will be a good one I suspect.

Tejastrue
11-16-2011, 10:16 AM
Or maybe bearfan is just simply supporting the district in this game. I think wimberley wins the game, but it will be a good one I suspect.

That was my thoughts also and that's exactly what I would be doing but Sportshack's question is legit. We Texans toot our horn a lot but we always like to hear a different perspective than just plain old homerism. Just wanted to know what Bearfan has seen personally about these two teams (having played us both) that would make him inclined to lean that way. Obviously LaVernia has found their defense in recent weeks so that could be a factor and of course our last game.

rb585
11-16-2011, 10:45 AM
Really good article on Gonzales' coach:

http://www.advosports.com/news/2011/sep/21/mf_onsports_092211_152844/

wimbo_pro
11-16-2011, 11:34 AM
Really good article on Gonzales' coach:

http://www.advosports.com/news/2011/sep/21/mf_onsports_092211_152844/

Excellent article! Tough times for them...so sad to hear stories like that. How big is the son, the LB? What schools are showing interest? I bet he is the biggest reason for their stout defense....a middle LB (i assume) can make or break a defense.

Sportshack
11-16-2011, 01:58 PM

Really...I was trying to be tounge in cheek (they could use that icon) since posters on several threads right after Taylor game have taken the position that Gonzales will probably win because of WHS being over rated. Epic fail on my part I guess. :)

wimbo_pro
11-16-2011, 02:20 PM

Really...I was trying to be tounge in cheek (they could use that icon) since posters on several threads right after Taylor game have taken the position that Gonzales will probably win because of WHS being over rated. Epic fail on my part I guess. :)

Yeah...well it doesn't matter now, right? We are both here and both undefeated and relatively close in stats....and after our close call agaisnt a horrible team (on paper) that ended up being the best we have played in a full season....why would anyone think we should be on top? I know why WE think we should be on top, but again, it doesnt matter.

Sportshack
11-16-2011, 02:24 PM
Yeah...well it doesn't matter now, right? We are both here and both undefeated and relatively close in stats....and after our close call agaisnt a horrible team (on paper) that ended up being the best we have played in a full season....why would anyone think we should be on top? I know why WE think we should be on top, but again, it doesnt matter.

Yep...it could be that Texans fans are just a bit delusional based on them winning 24 of the last 25 games over last 2 seasons. Folks get used to success but that does not mean it will necessarily continue. The Apaches are now 18 and 3 in their last 21 games so their air of confidence is also certainly justifiable. A great defense and ball control certainly goes a long way towards winning. Gonna find out soon.

wimbo_pro
11-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Yep...it could be that Texans fans are just a bit delusional based on them winning 24 of the last 25 games over last 2 seasons. Folks get used to success but that does not mean it will necessarily continue. The Apaches are now 18 and 3 in their last 21 games so their air of confidence is also certainly justifiable. A great defense and ball control certainly goes a long way towards winning. Gonna find out soon.

I just hope both teams bring their A game so we can be sure the best team moves on. May the best team win! Whoever wins will be the best team, at least in my book!

Tejastrue
11-16-2011, 03:25 PM

Did you say delusional???
:crazy:
:smoker::smoker::Dhttp://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1342718815647&id=49f077948eb00f355546fdfa347cdd34 http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1340505458173&id=90c859bacb1bedbe9e0cdc01d73f9db4

zebrablue2
11-16-2011, 08:16 PM
I just hope both teams bring their A game so we can be sure the best team moves on. May the best team win! Whoever wins will be the best team, at least in my book!

I can assure you the team that makes the fewest MISTAKES will play the next week. Good luck to both teams, and may they play injury free...

Sportshack
11-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Did you say delusional???
:crazy:
:smoker::smoker::Dhttp://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1342718815647&id=49f077948eb00f355546fdfa347cdd34 http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1340505458173&id=90c859bacb1bedbe9e0cdc01d73f9db4

Hey...I resemble that remark!!!

LV_Bearfan
11-17-2011, 04:00 AM

I'm not really so determined. Just think Cuero is a better comparison game. In a toss-up, I'll give GZ the nod just to get a reaction. I still think the Texans are pretty darned good. That being said, we'll be ready to kick your butts next year :-)

YTBulldogs
11-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Went to Austin yesterday, stopped at a few places in GZTown. Home folk's sure excited. I'm sure WT is all fired as well. Can't wait.

Sportshack
11-17-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm not really so determined. Just think Cuero is a better comparison game. In a toss-up, I'll give GZ the nod just to get a reaction. I still think the Texans are pretty darned good. That being said, we'll be ready to kick your butts next year :-)

Maybe in 2 years!!! :wave:

La Vernia beat WHS in 08 and 09. WHS has won last couple of years. Goes in cycles. Now basketball has been a different story over the years! Seems like the bears have had Texans' number in that sport.LaVernia seems like a cool town to me.

I am a worrier by nature and starting to get concerned about athleticism of Gonzales defense. I hear they got some good DB's and if you can slow down WHS passing game it goes along way towards securing a win. However, not sure that Gonzales can control the ball against Texans' defense. No way to know til we see it on field.

Sportshack
11-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Went to Austin yesterday, stopped at a few places in GZTown. Home folk's sure excited. I'm sure WT is all fired as well. Can't wait.

I think that 4A stadium will be packed!!!

wimbo_pro
11-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Maybe in 2 years!!! :wave:

La Vernia beat WHS in 08 and 09. WHS has won last couple of years. Goes in cycles. Now basketball has been a different story over the years! Seems like the bears have had Texans' number in that sport.LaVernia seems like a cool town to me.

I am a worrier by nature and starting to get concerned about athleticism of Gonzales defense. I hear they got some good DB's and if you can slow down WHS passing game it goes along way towards securing a win. However, not sure that Gonzales can control the ball against Texans' defense. No way to know til we see it on field.

It's justified to be concerned about their defense. But we have an offense unlike anything they have seen all year, with the flexibility and number of weapons at every skill position. We also have a good D as well, so they need to be concerned about ball control too. Great battle ahead!

Manso/V8
11-17-2011, 11:18 AM
I think that 4A stadium will be packed!!!

Packed deep, wear your rubber boots!

YTBulldogs
11-17-2011, 11:21 AM
It's justified to be concerned about their defense. But we have an offense unlike anything they have seen all year, with the flexibility and number of weapons at every skill position. We also have a good D as well, so they need to be concerned about ball control too. Great battle ahead!

Gonzo's safety's are the backdone of this defense. LB'ers are fast/quick and read very well and more than suitable to cover receivers as well. I think Wimberley will be successful throwing out of the gate. Then, GZ will regroup (make great adjustments during the game) and start being successful against the pass with pressure on the QB. This is what I've seen in several of their games. Against Wimberley caliber opponents, of course not. But, these kid's are capable and has the skills to cover WT's receivers. Will WT be successful. Yes, but---not consistently like your use to being.

On the other side of the GZ ball. Cecil (The Diesel) Johnson, is a quality running back. Get him frustrated, he get's down for a few plays. But, that talented O-line will create lines for him and he'll get back on track. The center (Clack) is amazing IMO. GZ cannot throw it like ya'll of course. Not many can. But, it's a descent air attack that develops off Gonzo's success at running the ball. They are masters of keeping teams off balance. The QB also provides a threat at running the ball on the corners. Great play fake, get's him around the corner and he'll win most 1 on 1 encounters. The "O" isn't lights out, but-- I think they can sustain drives and limit your "O" TOP.

This said, it's why I think the team with the most short fields and the team that takes those points other then TD's, will win this game. Instead of going for those 4th and 5's from inside the 25, FG will be the best option here. GZ kicker Hillman is a very capable kicker.

This is my take, and I have no idea who will win. Of course I like to see GZ do it, and I really think they can. But, would not be surprised with a Texan win either. Just glad I can witness this in person.

YTBulldogs
11-17-2011, 11:32 AM
Anyone else going to Clear Springs before the game? If so, see someone in a Yoakum cap, say hi.

Gonzales alum
11-17-2011, 11:47 AM
Anyone else going to Clear Springs before the game? If so, see someone in a Yoakum cap, say hi.

Might see you there YT.

YTBulldogs
11-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Might see you there YT.

Great GA, I was planning between 4-4:30 so I can eat and make sure I get a stadium seat around 6.

regaleagle
11-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Well, wimbo_pro, what started out as a fairly even poll has now stretched to 2-1 in favor of the Texans(which is by far the most skewed poll on DL this week). I think even you are surprised by this result. Looks to me like Gonzo is the overwhelming 'underdog' in the minds of our voters here. No disrespect to Gonzo, I'm sure, but last week's close call has had little effect on the vote. We are all anxious to see what kind of team Gonzo 'really' has. Beating SA like they did must not have swayed many votes. I still think them boys from Gonzales are ready for WAR this Friday, and that's exactly what the Texans will get. Not making any predictions here, so good luck to both teams in this one. Remember, I grew up in Goliad, so you know my sentiments lie with Texas history. Looks like Wimberley will have to "Come and take it" if they dare to win.

YTBulldogs
11-17-2011, 11:53 AM
GA, is GZ home or visitors?

wimbo_pro
11-17-2011, 11:59 AM

I'm considering going to Boss' Pizza, on the west side of I-35 off of Hwy 46. He is the father of our QB, and pizza sounds just about right for game night!!!
http://bossespizza.com/newbraunfels.html

YTBulldogs
11-17-2011, 12:03 PM
last week's close call has had little effect on the vote.

Nor should it have any effect. If you think it showed a weakness of Wimberley, it could be a fatal assessment. IMO, it makes WT stronger getting that scare.

YTBulldogs
11-17-2011, 12:04 PM
I'm considering going to Boss' Pizza, on the west side of I-35 off of Hwy 46. He is the father of our QB, and pizza sounds just about right for game night!!!

Understandable for sure wp. Hopefully I'll see ya at the game. Good luck to the Texans bud.

lbjacj
11-17-2011, 12:09 PM
QUOTE=YTBulldogs;1637642]GA, is GZ home or visitors?[/QUOTE]

Gonzales is the Home team.

wimbo_pro
11-17-2011, 12:18 PM
Understandable for sure wp. Hopefully I'll see ya at the game. Good luck to the Texans bud.

Someone needs to organize a Meet n' Greet at halftime!

YTBulldogs
11-17-2011, 12:20 PM

I nominate wimbo.:)

Sportshack
11-17-2011, 12:45 PM
Packed deep, wear your rubber boots!

Well done young man!!!! :clap::thumbsup:

Manso/V8
11-17-2011, 12:47 PM
I just placed my vote for Wimberley in the poll.
I am taking the Texans at 31-14.
Manso/V8 has spoken.

Sportshack
11-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Well...perhaps the D-Train will get rolling on Friday. Here are some highlights from first 5 games last year before he broke his foot. He had a little bit better O-line however, IMO, These 5 games include a solid Cuero team, a solid Sealy team, and La Vernia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaTPvO3GOqI

lbjacj
11-17-2011, 12:52 PM
It wouldn't let me post a pic on here so I did it another way...
Here's a lnk to a picture of the stadium from above before they turned the field red. If there is no fence to prevent crossovers it looks like the east end in front of the swimming pool may be a good spot? Maybe someone with firsthand knowledge of the place can help?

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/7242/cougarfield.jpg

Gonzales alum
11-17-2011, 12:54 PM
GA, is GZ home or visitors?

Home

Manso/V8
11-17-2011, 12:55 PM
I couldn't come up with an appropriate tribute meal for this game, so this afternoon I am going to go shoot a buffalo out the window of my dirty truck with expired tags for "sport".

Lombardi
11-17-2011, 01:24 PM
I have seen 7 GZ games in person this year. Gonzales doesn't have safeties, they have 1 safety, a free safety that is a big time hitter and very good. They have 2 inside LB's that are very good and make a lot of plays.There front seems to get better everytime I see them play, as does their outside LB's. They also have 2 corners that are very good cover guys.Obviously WT is the best offense this defense will have faced. I am very anxious to to witness this matchup. Hope it is a great game. See y'all there!
Gonzo's safety's are the backdone of this defense. LB'ers are fast/quick and read very well and more than suitable to cover receivers as well. I think Wimberley will be successful throwing out of the gate. Then, GZ will regroup (make great adjustments during the game) and start being successful against the pass with pressure on the QB. This is what I've seen in several of their games. Against Wimberley caliber opponents, of course not. But, these kid's are capable and has the skills to cover WT's receivers. Will WT be successful. Yes, but---not consistently like your use to being.

On the other side of the GZ ball. Cecil (The Diesel) Johnson, is a quality running back. Get him frustrated, he get's down for a few plays. But, that talented O-line will create lines for him and he'll get back on track. The center (Clack) is amazing IMO. GZ cannot throw it like ya'll of course. Not many can. But, it's a descent air attack that develops off Gonzo's success at running the ball. They are masters of keeping teams off balance. The QB also provides a threat at running the ball on the corners. Great play fake, get's him around the corner and he'll win most 1 on 1 encounters. The "O" isn't lights out, but-- I think they can sustain drives and limit your "O" TOP.

This said, it's why I think the team with the most short fields and the team that takes those points other then TD's, will win this game. Instead of going for those 4th and 5's from inside the 25, FG will be the best option here. GZ kicker Hillman is a very capable kicker.

This is my take, and I have no idea who will win. Of course I like to see GZ do it, and I really think they can. But, would not be surprised with a Texan win either. Just glad I can witness this in person.

rb585
11-17-2011, 01:56 PM
Gonzales is obviously going to win this game, and several more:

http://forum.gonzalescannon.com/node/7354

wimbo_pro
11-17-2011, 02:02 PM

Nothing like planning ahead!!!

hollywood
11-17-2011, 02:03 PM

Wasn't the QB at Aledo 2 years ago before his father opened up the New Braunfels location?

wimbo_pro
11-17-2011, 02:03 PM
I have seen 7 GZ games in person this year. Gonzales doesn't have safeties, they have 1 safety, a free safety that is a big time hitter and very good. They have 2 inside LB's that are very good and make a lot of plays.There front seems to get better everytime I see them play, as does their outside LB's. They also have 2 corners that are very good cover guys.Obviously WT is the best offense this defense will have faced. I am very anxious to to witness this matchup. Hope it is a great game. See y'all there!

Are you an alumni, or do you live/grew up there? 7 games in one year is a solid showing...you must have ties there.

wimbo_pro
11-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Wasn't the QB at Aledo 2 years ago before his father opened up the New Branfels location?

Yes, Boss told me he owned 4 (or more) pizza places in the DFW area, and his son was an all district (or was it all state?) linebacker in his sophomore year at Aledo. But, they wanted to get out of the rat-race of the city, and the son wanted to be a QB, but the chances there were tough seeing who was already in place. So, they looked around the state and selected Wimberely for its location and its quality of life and its schools. Sold the stores, moved here. They have a son in 9th grade as well, who will be a star player in the coming years. I think they also have a daughter. They are really good people, and a real asset to the community.

hollywood
11-17-2011, 02:15 PM
Yes, Boss told me he owned 4 (or more) pizza places in the DFW area, and his son was an all district (or was it all state?) linebacker in his sophomore year at Aledo. But, they wanted to get out of the rat-race of the city, and the son wanted to be a QB, but the chances there were tough seeing who was already in place. So, they looked around the state and selected Wimberely for its location and its quality of life and its schools. Sold the stores, moved here. They have a son in 9th grade as well, who will be a star player in the coming years. I think they also have a daughter. They are really good people, and a real asset to the community.

Awesome... I would have done the same thing having that opportunity. Who wants to live amongst the rats? I love the Wimberley area. Btw, are there any places (home rentals, condos) you'd recommend staying for a long weekend around there? pm me if you know of any.

wimbo_pro
11-17-2011, 02:41 PM
Awesome... I would have done the same thing having that opportunity. Who wants to live amongst the rats? I love the Wimberley area. Btw, are there any places (home rentals, condos) you'd recommend staying for a long weekend around there? pm me if you know of any.

Absolutely! Hill Country Accomodations has a full listing of weekend rentals and B&B's, if you prefer. http://hillcountryaccommodations.com/
If you want a place on the river in a place that sleeps up to 8, a really nice place, send me a private message...my brother has a really nice weekend rental place right on the Blanco.

Gontex
11-17-2011, 03:52 PM

Do you have a reading comprehension problem?