PDA

View Full Version : For those who complain about driving a long way for a game:

xlr8tor
11-24-2003, 01:16 AM
Firstly, if you are still in the playoffs at this juncture, whatever distance has to be traveled, in my, and I assume anyone who loves football, is but a small price to be paid. Of course, I did drive over 8 hours one way to see a regular season game one time, and yes, it was all done in Texas.

But when you stop and consider who should be griping about driving, hands down, that right should belong to the folks in west Texas. Here's a few distances to consider.

In 5A, San Angelo Central takes the cake. For every out of town district game they have, they travel a minimum of 3 1/2 hours one way, and those are the closer games. When they have to travel to Amarillo, they travel right at 6 hours one way for a district game.

In 4A, when San Angelo Lakeview travels to Levelland or Wolforth-Friendship, they travel 3 1/2 hours or more, one way.

In 3A, when Merkel has to travel to Denver City, they too travel over 3 1/2 hours one way.

2A, Alpine to Anthony, 4 hours one way.

These are all district games. Before the last district realignments there were teams playing teams that required 6 hours +, on the road, one way, for a district game. In fact some of these district games were even played in a different time zone.

Now come playoff time, when the Midland Odessa area teams play the El Paso area teams, one team has to travel 5 hours. No way around it. If an Amarillo area team plays an El Paso area team, and they choose to meet in Odessa/Midland, its 5 hours one way for both teams.

These types of games are common occurance year in and out. If you are fortunate to make it deep into the playoffs, you have to travel, and sometimes a good distance. But, isn't it worth it? What is the game ultimately about? Money or playing and watching because you enjoy or love the game?

If any decision by a coach or otherwise is in accordance with the rules, why get all bent out of shape about it. I don't blame any coach for doing what ever it takes, that is legal according to the rules, to give their team an advantage. If you can legally get a stadium closer to you than the opponent and that will benefit your team, why not? Isn't that part of what is commonly referred to as "home field advantage?" Like it or not, sometimes that transcends somewhat into the playoffs. That's the way it is set up.

But if you think you have something to gripe about, consider those teams in west Texas that have to travel 4, 5, and sometimes even 6 hours for a; no not a playoff game, a regular district game. Then perhaps you'll see it's not so bad traveling 4 or 5 hours for a 3rd round playoff game. Like I said at the beginning, you could be in a gym on friday night, like most teams are now, rather than at a football Stadium. Texas High School Football, it's the best. Just my take.

whtfbplaya
11-24-2003, 01:20 AM
Good view, but you forgot the option of stepping on the Xlr8tor more.

xlr8tor
11-24-2003, 01:23 AM
whtfbplaya:
Good view, but you forgot the option of stepping on the Xlr8tor more.True,LOL. But these distances for the most part were as the crow flies (as if there are any crows left that haven't already been eaten). Plus when you include the "yellow dog" factor, it tends to slow the travel time as well. Just my take.

dawgdad
11-24-2003, 01:56 AM
It doesn't matter how far "The Dawgs" and their fans have to go. It's a matter of pride. And a little matter of a Dream.

spiveyrat
11-24-2003, 07:58 AM
xlr8tor:
Like I said at the beginning, you could be in a gym on friday night, like most teams are now, rather than at a football Stadium. EXACTLY! There are a lot of schools/fans who would LOVE to have such a terrible dilemma of having to drive so far.

Count your blessings.