PDA

View Full Version : Transitioning into tackle football from flag football

CHS_89
11-11-2011, 01:25 PM
I was fortunate enough to coach a pee-wee football team defense for the first time this year. I would say 70% of my kids had never played tackle football, but played flag football up until this season. Tackling is an art and must be practiced every practice, in which we did religiously. I had trouble coaching the kids to get themselves in position to wrap up or go across the body when tackling and I saw a bunch of arm tackling. No matter how much we practiced tackling, most of them would revert back to arm tackling in a game. I believe this is a result of playing flag football and reaching for a flag and not learning to get your body in position correctly. The interesting thing is the other 30% who had played tackle ball before, did not have this issue. Has anyone else experienced this in coaching? I may be way off base but it is my opinion that flag football, although good for learning the game and positioning and responsibilities, may teach some bad habits when it comes to tackling. Thoughts??

BEAST
11-11-2011, 01:33 PM
I was fortunate enough to coach a pee-wee football team defense for the first time this year. I would say 70% of my kids had never played tackle football, but played flag football up until this season. Tackling is an art and must be practiced every practice, in which we did religiously. I had trouble coaching the kids to get themselves in position to wrap up or go across the body when tackling and I saw a bunch of arm tackling. No matter how much we practiced tackling, most of them would revert back to arm tackling in a game. I believe this is a result of playing flag football and reaching for a flag and not learning to get your body in position correctly. The interesting thing is the other 30% who had played tackle ball before, did not have this issue. Has anyone else experienced this in coaching? I may be way off base but it is my opinion that flag football, although good for learning the game and positioning and responsibilities, may teach some bad habits when it comes to tackling. Thoughts??

How old are the kids?

BEAST

CHS_89
11-11-2011, 01:44 PM
How old are the kids?

BEAST

6th Grade. In our league, the kids can play flag football up until 6th grade. I can only hope I was able to coach them through not only football, but also some life lessons..Lord knows I learned alot...enough to want to coach again. thanks!

BEAST
11-11-2011, 02:12 PM
6th Grade. In our league, the kids can play flag football up until 6th grade. I can only hope I was able to coach them through not only football, but also some life lessons..Lord knows I learned alot...enough to want to coach again. thanks!

Here you can start tackle in the 3rd grade. The groups are 3rd and 4th in one league and 5th and 6th in the other. I start mine in the 5th. The biggest thing is most young boys dont desire to hit anybody yet. Its almost not natural. I have learned that by the end of their 5th grade season, most are beginning to get it. Hang in there.

BEAST