PDA

View Full Version : Right or wrong?

Pick6
11-10-2011, 10:58 AM
A coach wants a playoff game on Thursday night because one of his players will be ineligible starting Friday. Is the coach doing the kid any favors by doing this? I'm kind of split here, but lean to where the coach isn't doing the right thing for this student. The student knows that he has to pass to play.

Send_the_House
11-10-2011, 11:11 AM
There are many reasons teams elect to, or are forced to, play on thursday. There is actually no way a Coach would use that as a reason to play on thursday... That could be perception, but seriously, he did not say that to anyone...

Old LB
11-10-2011, 11:13 AM
A coach wants a playoff game on Thursday night because one of his players will be ineligible starting Friday. Is the coach doing the kid any favors by doing this? I'm kind of split here, but lean to where the coach isn't doing the right thing for this student. The student knows that he has to pass to play.

Depends on how you view things, if the coach is focused on being successful and the player gives him an advantage then he is doing the right thing. If you think it is a coaches place to raise a child that plays for him then it is wrong.

Personally I wish coaches would stick to coaching and stay away from the parenting aspect of life. I prefer to raise my child based on my own personal beliefs and do not want any assistance from the coaching staff. I get tired of listening to coaches talking about personal beliefs in religion and life on the coaches show. These guys are hired to coach a football team, not raise the players. I understand these guys needing to be of high moral standard to coach our kids but holding yourself to a standard and trying to parent my kid is two different things.

If this kids parents were focused on his education the problem would probably not exist.

icu812
11-10-2011, 11:14 AM
I've heard that is the case for one of tonights games.

partimefan
11-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Depends on how you view things, if the coach is focused on being successful and the player gives him an advantage then he is doing the right thing. If you think it is a coaches place to raise a child that plays for him then it is wrong.

Personally I wish coaches would stick to coaching and stay away from the parenting aspect of life. I prefer to raise my child based on my own personal beliefs and do not want any assistance from the coaching staff. I get tired of listening to coaches talking about personal beliefs in religion and life on the coaches show. These guys are hired to coach a football team, not raise the players. I understand these guys needing to be of high moral standard to coach our kids but holding yourself to a standard and trying to parent my kid is two different things.

If this kids parents were focused on his education the problem would probably not exist.

Your last sentence says it all.

I agree that coaches don't need to force their religion on students. But, unfortunately, many of our kids don't have parents who are focused on what is best for the kids. Is the coach to leave those kids to raise themselves?

Pick6
11-10-2011, 11:22 AM
I've heard that is the case for one of tonights games.

You heard correctly.

Old LB
11-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Your last sentence says it all.

I agree that coaches don't need to force their religion on students. But, unfortunately, many of our kids don't have parents who are focused on what is best for the kids. Is the coach to leave those kids to raise themselves?

It is not the responsibility of coaches to parent kids, I would have to say yes they should leave the kids to other means for their raising. You know you cannot save all who need saving, you cannot right all wrongs, school personel should not be looked upon to fill in for parents that refuse to be responsible. The family unit is responsible for this aspect of life IMO.

Pendragon13
11-10-2011, 11:28 AM
If the kid is still ineligible the following week...what difference (real) does it make? I guess if the coaches job is on the bubble a bi-district win would be better than a loss..but I can't think of anything else.

BEAST
11-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Shipley loves Thursday playoff games. We had them last year also. Idea is, we play on Thursday, therefore we can go personally scout our next opponent (assuming we win).

BEAST

44INAROW
11-10-2011, 12:12 PM
just my opinion, but, if the team is that dependent on 1 player, to play Thursday so he can play, - they'll be sucking bilge water next week without him..

DavidWooderson
11-10-2011, 12:15 PM
If the coach is so concerned about getting a game in on Thursday night this week because the kid isn't going to make grades, what was he doing the last 6 weeks to make sure the kid made grades?

There are kids who have problems, whether it's dyslexia or ADD or other learning issues OR just don't get the stuff (my problem with any kind of math) and struggle and work their but off to get that 70 and when they do, they are dang proud of that 70, BUT there are also cases where the kids just don't give a crap. Majority of the time the ones that fail are the kids that don't give a crap.

coachc45
11-10-2011, 12:21 PM
This is pretty slippery....might thought process is this, for all you guys say he is not doing this kid any favors and should play without the kid on friday and teach that one kid a lesson: what about the other kids that the decision effects? Should they be punished this week over the one kid? Do we put edjucating this one kid over whats good for the other 40?

Not sure where I stand, but I do know that as a coach, I have to make decisions based on what is best for the team as a group, not on whats best for one kid.

coachc45
11-10-2011, 12:23 PM
It is not the responsibility of coaches to parent kids, I would have to say yes they should leave the kids to other means for their raising. You know you cannot save all who need saving, you cannot right all wrongs, school personel should not be looked upon to fill in for parents that refuse to be responsible. The family unit is responsible for this aspect of life IMO.

So you aren't the type of guy who gets mad and says things like "the coach should have the best interest of the kids at heart" are you? Cuz your comments basically say, the coach should coach football and stay out of everything else.

I personally was raised on the philosophy, "It takes a village to Raise a child!"

icu812
11-10-2011, 01:08 PM
This is pretty slippery....might thought process is this, for all you guys say he is not doing this kid any favors and should play without the kid on friday and teach that one kid a lesson: what about the other kids that the decision effects? Should they be punished this week over the one kid? Do we put edjucating this one kid over whats good for the other 40?

Not sure where I stand, but I do know that as a coach, I have to make decisions based on what is best for the team as a group, not on whats best for one kid.

Would it affect your decision if you were very likely going to lose the game either way? Would playing without the player send a message about grades for the future?

coachc45
11-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Would it affect your decision if you were very likely going to lose the game either way? Would playing without the player send a message about grades for the future?

I don't think that way.....I fully expect to win every game I play, just know that some we're gonna have to play over our head and need some luck.

But to answer your question....wouldn't make a difference. I would never make the decision to play on Thursday so that one kid could play, I would make the decision based on what is best for my team. If that means on Thursday then on thursday, if friday then friday. That kid wouldn't factor into it.

Old LB
11-10-2011, 01:41 PM
So you aren't the type of guy who gets mad and says things like "the coach should have the best interest of the kids at heart" are you? Cuz your comments basically say, the coach should coach football and stay out of everything else.

I personally was raised on the philosophy, "It takes a village to Raise a child!"

I agree it takes a village, but how do you feel it is your business to persuade the ideas of a child that is not yours? Beyond the area of said sport and team rules I do not feel it is a coaches responsibility or place to interfere in the raising of a child that is not yours. The village should consist of family, and occasionally, trusted friends not coaches.

NastySlot
11-10-2011, 01:48 PM
I agree it takes a village, but how do you feel it is your business to persuade the ideas of a child that is not yours? Beyond the area of said sport and team rules I do not feel it is a coaches responsibility or place to interfere in the raising of a child that is not yours. The village should consist of family, and occasionally, trusted friends not coaches.

your losing me a little..............are you mainly talking about values such as faith.......or do you feel a coach shouldn't teach kids to answer yes sir/no sir...........to clean up the field house.....so be respectful and responsible on the field or in the classroom? So a coach shouldn't help to contribute to his players becoming fine upstanding citizens? I am not trying to disagree with you...just wondering................I mean as a Parent I am sure you instill those qualities in your son...not trying to imply you don't.

You believe their job (coaches) is to just teach x's and o's and improve his skills?

Old Tiger
11-10-2011, 01:49 PM
It aint right but it aint wrong either.

mick5302
11-10-2011, 01:52 PM

What about the other kids? Might be sending the message to them that its ok to manipulate the system to get around the rules. Should be setting the example on how to be a man and not a little boy.

Old LB
11-10-2011, 01:56 PM
your losing me a little..............are you mainly talking about values such as faith.......or do you feel a coach shouldn't teach kids to answer yes sir/no sir...........to clean up the field house.....so be respectful and responsible on the field or in the classroom? So a coach shouldn't help to contribute to his players becoming fine upstanding citizens? I am not trying to disagree with you...just wondering................I mean as a Parent I am sure you instill those qualities in your son...not trying to imply you don't.

You believe their job (coaches) is to just teach x's and o's and improve his skills?

Let's just say for whatever reason I ask my child to respond yes vs yes sir, I do not feel it is the place of a coach to try to change that because he believes a different way if it does not affect the team or break a rule. I do teach my children to conduct themselves in accordance with acceptable behavior, I would venture to say my expectations are higher for them than the coaches.

I am not attacking coaches, I just think they should stick to running the program and not venture into the moral lives of families.

Emerson1
11-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Let's just say for whatever reason I ask my child to respond yes vs yes sir, I do not feel it is the place of a coach to try to change that because he believes a different way if it does not affect the team or break a rule. I do teach my children to conduct themselves in accordance with acceptable behavior, I would venture to say my expectations are higher for them than the coaches.

I am not attacking coaches, I just think they should stick to running the program and not venture into the moral lives of families.

It might be fine for your kids, but some kids might as well not have parents and coaches are the only moral guidance they get.

NastySlot
11-10-2011, 02:04 PM

fair enough....I understand better.

"I am not attacking coaches, I just think they should stick to running the program and not venture into the moral lives of families."

and so you believe that parents should leave the play calling and who plays to the coaches.

IndianFan2012
It seems pretty shady.

OldNavy
It aint right but it aint wrong either.

Who made the rules, the coach or the state of Texas? The state, I think. If the youngster is eligable on Thursday, he is eligable. If the state wanted to make them ineligable on Thursday, they wrote the rules and could have made them that way. There are still some debates about whether pass or play is right ALL the time and in every circumstance. But to this issue, is the coach responsible for making the rules more stringent than they are written, and why?

kaorder1999
11-10-2011, 02:07 PM
first of all, if a coach ever says he is doing it for that reason then he will not last long in that profession. Secondly, keep in mind that if your team is still playing durin gthe thanksgivnig break and the school is out all week, they will be eligible for that game even if they fail.

Old LB
11-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Our society has a lot of social programs for folks who refuse to be responsible for their own actions. I would think that a coach would view this as a legal liability in this day and time to get too involved in the personal life of a student athlete. Anyway, the good thing about this country is we all have the right to our opinions.

NastySlot
11-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Our society has a lot of social programs for folks who refuse to be responsible for their own actions. I would think that a coach would view this as a legal liability in this day and time to get too involved in the personal life of a student athlete. Anyway, the good thing about this country is we all have the right to our opinions.

yes sir we do........and I think I understand what you are trying to say.

icu812
11-10-2011, 02:22 PM
I don't think that way.....I fully expect to win every game I play, just know that some we're gonna have to play over our head and need some luck.

But to answer your question....wouldn't make a difference. I would never make the decision to play on Thursday so that one kid could play, I would make the decision based on what is best for my team. If that means on Thursday then on thursday, if friday then friday. That kid wouldn't factor into it.

I don't understand how the kid doesn't factor into it unless they have some team guideline in place, which isn't a bad idea. If playing him by scheduling for Thurs. (or not playing him by scheduling Fri.) is what is best for the team then the kid did factor into it. The question probably should be; what is best for the team winning or using the "it takes a village" approach to teach a life lesson? Both isn't always an option.

ccmom
11-10-2011, 02:23 PM
It is not the responsibility of coaches to parent kids, I would have to say yes they should leave the kids to other means for their raising. You know you cannot save all who need saving, you cannot right all wrongs, school personel should not be looked upon to fill in for parents that refuse to be responsible. The family unit is responsible for this aspect of life IMO. What about the kids who have no "family unit" for whatever reason? There are MANY pro athletes that will tell you that their coaches were the only positive influence in their lives while growing up. The majority of HS football players will never put pads on again after high school, but the influence of a coach or teacher just might lead them to become productive, responsible adults. I understand that your point of not wanting someone's else's values forced upon your child. It's the idea that you think a coach should ONLY teach athletic skills and should turn his back to a child with personal needs that I totally disagree with.

DeuceDeuce
11-10-2011, 02:24 PM

What morals are you talking about? Saying yes sir or yes maam? Those aren't morals, those are manners!!!

Cleaning up after yourself? Morals or Responibility?

Working hard to make good grades? Morals?

These aren't morals!!! These are things everyone should know and do!!!

As a father, I want my childrens' teachers to help instill, manners, work ethic and most of all respect.

Old LB
11-10-2011, 02:34 PM
fair enough....I understand better.

"I am not attacking coaches, I just think they should stick to running the program and not venture into the moral lives of families."

and so you believe that parents should leave the play calling and who plays to the coaches.

Yes, for sure, let the coach do the coaching, if he is not successful then find a new coach. I realize my kids are not perfect and none of them look to be headed for D1 scholarships. If they make the team that's great, if not, it is not the end of the world. I hope that my kids are successful at something, what that will be is not near as important.

My daughter's team won a state championship in U-12 soccer in 2008, a short three years later I am not sure how many off that team will play high school soccer. You have to let them find their way in life, can't expect everyone to be a D1 prospect.

Old LB
11-10-2011, 02:37 PM
What morals are you talking about? Saying yes sir or yes maam? Those aren't morals, those are manners!!!

Cleaning up after yourself? Morals or Responibility?

Working hard to make good grades? Morals?

These aren't morals!!! These are things everyone should know and do!!!

As a father, I want my childrens' teachers to help instill, manners, work ethic and most of all respect.

And you should be entitled to your belief, just as I should, see the list of items above are things you feel strongly about. Does not mean everyone else believes that way. The point I am trying to make is, raise your own family and stay out of my business. :)

Farmersfan
11-10-2011, 04:30 PM
No Pass- No Play is an antiquated idea that has passed it's usefulness and should have been dropped years ago. The very idea that we downplay the significance of athletic achievement as a punishment for a lack of academic achievement is a contradiction in my opinion. We should support every success in a kids life and not take one success away as punishment for failing to achieve success in another area. It's a idealogy that we outgrew decades ago in my opinion! Why wouldn't we want a kid to have A's in athletics if he struggles his whole life with D's in academics? I think we are giving the wrong signals.

coachc45
11-10-2011, 06:00 PM
I don't understand how the kid doesn't factor into it unless they have some team guideline in place, which isn't a bad idea. If playing him by scheduling for Thurs. (or not playing him by scheduling Fri.) is what is best for the team then the kid did factor into it. The question probably should be; what is best for the team winning or using the "it takes a village" approach to teach a life lesson? Both isn't always an option.
Real simple....If it is good for my team to play on thursday then we play on thursday, I will make that decision. For example if we can't find a good place to play that is neutral on friday and saturday but we can on thursday, then we'll play on thursday. Or if I feel we need to play thursday so I can scout on friday. If i feel it is in the best interest of my team to stay in routine of 4 days in practice game on friday then we play on friday....but I will not ever say, So and so is still eligible on thursday so we gonna play on thursday.

The it takes a village quote has nothing to do with this scenario....but to answer your question. I do not think any kid on my team is above the team. If a kid fails then we'll put in the next kid and go to work. I am going to coach my teams with the values of the community in mind and hold my players to the standard of the school and community. If anyone thinks a coach can coach without instilling values such as work ethic, character, and discipline they are mistaken.... It is those traits that makes teams winners!

coachc45
11-10-2011, 06:11 PM
And you should be entitled to your belief, just as I should, see the list of items above are things you feel strongly about. Does not mean everyone else believes that way. The point I am trying to make is, raise your own family and stay out of my business. :)

If you think a coach can coach without instilling values such as work ethic, accountability, character, and discipline then you are crazy! It is these values and characteristics which allow a team to be winners!

bobcat1
11-10-2011, 07:40 PM
It might be fine for your kids, but some kids might as well not have parents and coaches are the only moral guidance they get.I agree with Emerson. (Who'd a thought it)

LH Panther Mom
11-10-2011, 07:43 PM
No Pass- No Play is an antiquated idea that has passed it's usefulness and should have been dropped years ago. The very idea that we downplay the significance of athletic achievement as a punishment for a lack of academic achievement is a contradiction in my opinion. We should support every success in a kids life and not take one success away as punishment for failing to achieve success in another area. It's a idealogy that we outgrew decades ago in my opinion! Why wouldn't we want a kid to have A's in athletics if he struggles his whole life with D's in academics? I think we are giving the wrong signals.
The emphasis is on education. They are called STUDENT athletes, not the other way around. I don't look at having to sit out for flunking as punishment. I think the ability to PLAY is the reward for keeping the grades up! It EXTRAcurricular, i.e. voluntary.

Old LB
11-10-2011, 08:45 PM
If you think a coach can coach without instilling values such as work ethic, accountability, character, and discipline then you are crazy! It is these values and characteristics which allow a team to be winners!

Winning teams are comprised of kids that have these characteristics to begin with, you may be trying to take too much credit. The Abilene Wylies and Celinas of the world are made up of kids that have been raised with these values, BY THEIR PARENTS.

coachc45
11-11-2011, 12:26 AM
Winning teams are comprised of kids that have these characteristics to begin with, you may be trying to take too much credit. The Abilene Wylies and Celinas of the world are made up of kids that have been raised with these values, BY THEIR PARENTS.

Oh yeah you are right, because when you get 35-40 teenagers together they automatically make the right decision and come together as a team..... you are nuts! The Wylie's and Celina's of the world are led by some of the best MEN in the game. and if you think they don't TEACH values on a daily basis then you know absolutely nothing about coaching.

Old LB
11-11-2011, 06:55 AM
Oh yeah you are right, because when you get 35-40 teenagers together they automatically make the right decision and come together as a team..... you are nuts! The Wylie's and Celina's of the world are led by some of the best MEN in the game. and if you think they don't TEACH values on a daily basis then you know absolutely nothing about coaching.

I agree that these coaches are reinforcing the values that these kids have been taught by their parents. I probably should stop posting about this subject, I did not intend to hurt your feelings. I for one just do not think successful coaches are any different from the rest of us and I prefer they coach the game and stay out of my family business. I am sure you are a good person and probably know more than I when it comes to these things. Have a good day.

pancho villa
11-11-2011, 08:22 AM
I would play on thursday!

pancho villa
11-11-2011, 08:24 AM
I agree that these coaches are reinforcing the values that these kids have been taught by their parents. I probably should stop posting about this subject, I did not intend to hurt your feelings. I for one just do not think successful coaches are any different from the rest of us and I prefer they coach the game and stay out of my family business. I am sure you are a good person and probably know more than I when it comes to these things. Have a good day.

I have a feeling somebody's little Johnny or Suzie did not act right and somebody blames the coach.

DeuceDeuce
11-11-2011, 09:39 AM

You make a very strong argument about how you want your son or daughter coached, and that is the beauty of our society. Athletics in our public schools ARE a priviledge and NOT a right. So when your child enters the public school system and they don't want to be respectful, responsible, and conduct themselves in a manner that the coach feels is acceptable then they do not have to participate.

YOU have the right to home school them, and we as coaches have the Right to place the type of expectations we feel are important, and if you don't like it.......go somewhere else!!!!

Pick6
11-11-2011, 09:47 AM
In case anyone wants to know, the student wasn't a game changer. His team lost. The other teams varsity won 41-0 in the 1st half and the JV won 7-0 in the 2nd half...lol

Old LB
11-11-2011, 10:59 AM
I have a feeling somebody's little Johnny or Suzie did not act right and somebody blames the coach.

Both my kids are successful athletically, they do not act disrespectful, rude, or out of line. I raise my kids the same as most good, honest Americans. I do not have any hard feelings toward any coaches. All I'm saying is it is not the place for a coach to parent kids that are not theirs.

Old LB
11-11-2011, 11:02 AM
You make a very strong argument about how you want your son or daughter coached, and that is the beauty of our society. Athletics in our public schools ARE a priviledge and NOT a right. So when your child enters the public school system and they don't want to be respectful, responsible, and conduct themselves in a manner that the coach feels is acceptable then they do not have to participate.

YOU have the right to home school them, and we as coaches have the Right to place the type of expectations we feel are important, and if you don't like it.......go somewhere else!!!!

You're taking this personal, I have not said anything about how I expect my kids coached.

pancho villa
11-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Both my kids are successful athletically, they do not act disrespectful, rude, or out of line. I raise my kids the same as most good, honest Americans. I do not have any hard feelings toward any coaches. All I'm saying is it is not the place for a coach to parent kids that are not theirs.

If you are sincere your kids don't need help. However you don't understand how many of the other kids need far more help than we can give them as coaches.

pancho villa
11-11-2011, 11:06 AM
And I'm still playing on Thur!

wimbo_pro
11-11-2011, 11:13 AM

Old LB...I understand your point, and agree with it to some degree (the changing to Thursday vs. Friday). But the sole purpose of any schools football program (at its core) is to build boys into men, encourage and teach personal discipline, team work, respect, and honor in what you do. These are things that the kids carry with them for life. It's the same goal of the Chess club, the Tennis team, the Band, the drill team...all of them.

If we allow the water to get murky with "I'm only here to coach football", then we lose the focus of what High School is for. College? Of course, all you need to do is coach. But not High School. If the "sole reason" was to keep a player on the roster, then he has done that kid a disservice.

YTBulldogs
11-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Coaches often are the only guidance these kids get in life cause their parents don't give a darn. These parents don't even attend school functions for their child. Very sad.

Without the coach also instilling life values along with his X's and O's--- I fear our society would be even worse. I've seen these type kid's numerous times come back years later, and as successful young adults and are so thankful to their coach for being a father figure to them and getting them lined out before heading into the real world.

Old LB
11-11-2011, 11:18 AM
If you are sincere your kids don't need help. However you don't understand how many of the other kids need far more help than we can give them as coaches.

Yes I'm sincere, I was not trying to attack the coaching profession, just state my view.

DeuceDeuce
11-11-2011, 11:37 AM

I think all we are trying to say is that the communtiy, the school administration, and the coaching staff are the ones that will decide what type of things are to be expected from the athletic program.

Most student athletes will not make a living from athletics, meaning at some point in their life they are going to have a job, and in that job many things will be required from them. Basic manners, respect, and responsibilty are all part of most jobs. If the student athletes we coach have a better understanding of this as a result of athletics, then I feel athletics has been beneficial for them.

wimbo_pro
11-11-2011, 11:40 AM
I think all we are trying to say is that the communtiy, the school administration, and the coaching staff are the ones that will decide what type of things are to be expected from the athletic program.

Most student athletes will not make a living from athletics, meaning at some point in their life they are going to have a job, and in that job many things will be required from them. Basic manners, respect, and responsibilty are all part of most jobs. If the student athletes we coach have a better understanding of this as a result of athletics, then I feel athletics has been beneficial for them.

No doubt, Duece. You are dead-on...its about instilling values. There is more to it than winning in HS.

coachc45
11-11-2011, 12:39 PM

We get your point....however misguided it may be. I think that what you tend to call parenting, we tend to call mentoring. I am just glad that my coaches didn't see it the same way you do. I count them as the biggest influences in my life right behind my father. They are the reason I got into this business. My parents raised me to be all the things you have raised your kids to be, and my coaches showed a genuine care for me and it is through this caring that they effected me for a lifetime. And isn't that "Parenting"?

I also am thankful for all the kids who I have had call me, txt, or message me and who said "thanks for caring enough to tell me those things"! Believe it or not, sometimes hearing it from someone other than Mom and Dad makes it hit home better. I know that when I was a teenager alot of the times when my parents were talking to me, it sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher....WONK, WONK, WONK>>>>

Emerson1
11-11-2011, 01:28 PM
It's gonna be funny if they make it far enough for the kid to come back after the 3 weeks, but the team they are playing makes them play on a Thursday. Thus making the kid still ineligible.

coachc45
11-11-2011, 01:33 PM
It's gonna be funny if they make it far enough for the kid to come back after the 3 weeks, but the team they are playing makes them play on a Thursday. Thus making the kid still ineligible.

They got beat 48-6.

yellaseeker
11-11-2011, 03:15 PM

I just wish you would come out and say what your issue really is. I think there is something hidden here that you really don't want to discuss in detail but instead make generic statements. If it's faith then say it's faith and maybe some folks will understand where you are coming from. People might not always agree but might atleast value your opinion. I'm puzzled as to whether you've had a problem with one coach in particular on certain values you have a difference in opinion about or, are you stereotyping all coaches about a certain value being taught that you do not believe in. To make a long story short, SPIT IT OUT!

IndianFan2012
11-12-2011, 10:50 AM
They got beat 48-6.

Talk about let down

bp80884
11-12-2011, 12:19 PM
Old LB...I understand your point, and agree with it to some degree (the changing to Thursday vs. Friday). But the sole purpose of any schools football program (at its core) is to build boys into men, encourage and teach personal discipline, team work, respect, and honor in what you do. These are things that the kids carry with them for life. It's the same goal of the Chess club, the Tennis team, the Band, the drill team...all of them.

If we allow the water to get murky with "I'm only here to coach football", then we lose the focus of what High School is for. College? Of course, all you need to do is coach. But not High School. If the "sole reason" was to keep a player on the roster, then he has done that kid a disservice.

Well said!!!