PDA

View Full Version : Paterno (merged)

Pages : [1] 2

playnhurt
11-09-2011, 09:51 AM
Joe Pa will retire at the end of the season.

Hate to see him go!

YTBulldogs
11-09-2011, 10:03 AM
Very sad indeed. Someone dropped the ball on these kids.

YTBulldogs
11-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Why didn't he follow up with this issue when he seen that perv still hanging around the program? Now, Joe Pa will be remembered for this mess.

Matthew328
11-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Statement from Coach Paterno

STATE COLLEGE, Pa., Nov. 9, 2011 -- I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief.

I have come to work every day for the last 61 years with one clear goal in mind: To serve the best interests of this university and the young men who have been entrusted to my care. I have the same goal today.

That's why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can. This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.

My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this University.

Txbroadcaster
11-09-2011, 10:20 AM
All of this has ruined any kind of view I have of Joe P( he does not deserved to be called Joe Pa anymore)

Bullaholic
11-09-2011, 10:36 AM
All of this has ruined any kind of view I have of Joe P( he does not deserved to be called Joe Pa anymore)

Joe Paterno made an unforgiveable error in judgement and administration of authority which caused grievious harm to many families, and for which his considerable outstanding legacy in the annals of collegiate athletics will forever be tarnished. This is a terrible tragedy for all involved, but in no way do I associate Joe Paterno as an advocate of pedophillia.

nobogey72
11-09-2011, 10:36 AM

TXB, if everything that's been reported is actually the way it happened, then I would have to agree with you. And, it really makes me sick because after reading his book, I have always been a huge Joe Paterno fan. I would love to believe that he didn't know any of this was going on, but it doesn't look like that's the case.

Txbroadcaster
11-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Joe Paterno made an unforgiveable error in judgement and administration of authority which caused grievious harm to many families, and for which his considerable outstanding legacy in the annals of collegiate athletics will forever be tarnished. This is a terrible tragedy for all involved, but in no way do I associate Joe Paterno as an advocate of pedophillia.

He was not an advocate, but he was an enabler which is almost as bad.

YTBulldogs
11-09-2011, 10:40 AM
TXB, if everything that's been reported is actually the way it happened, then I would have to agree with you. And, it really makes me sick because after reading his book, I have always been a huge Joe Paterno fan. I would love to believe that he didn't know any of this was going on, but it doesn't look like that's the case.

He turned a blind eye after he turned it in. You must follow up.

TexMike
11-09-2011, 10:41 AM
What a pathetic statement!! He is trying to make it sound like poor Joe Pa is just being beat down and he is "doing the right thing" by not making the PSU leadership deliberate over firing him. Oh woe is me!!! BS! He is not getting 1/2 of what he deserves....yet anyway. With any luck the useless scumbag he facilitated for so many years will not off himself and will go to trial so we can have Paterno, on the witness stand, in public, answering to his failings. Maybe he will even pull a Col. Jessep on the stand and melt down.

YTBulldogs
11-09-2011, 10:43 AM
Now it's reported, 17 kid's involved.

Bullaholic
11-09-2011, 10:47 AM
He was not an advocate, but he was an enabler which is almost as bad.

I think we both said the same thing---except you did it in a lot fewer words....:D

TexMike
11-09-2011, 10:48 AM
As old as the scumbag is I suspect it is much more than 17. He did not just wake up when he was 50 and decide this is what he liked.

YTBulldogs
11-09-2011, 10:50 AM
As old as the scumbag is I suspect it is much more than 17. He did not just wake up when he was 50 and decide this is what he liked.

I believe you are right Mike. This will be massive.

Old Tiger
11-09-2011, 10:59 AM
If you think it is sad that this enabler is being forced out that is pathetic. Good riddance.

BEAST
11-09-2011, 11:01 AM
I totally understand and get the outrage. That said, Joe Pa was not the one doing this. It was reported that the info he was told was not nearly as bad as what is coming out now. He reported to his superiors. After that, its up to them. Now, I am not saying Joe Pa shouldnt have done more, I am just saying I am going to wait until all the FACTS come out before I change my opinion of him.

BEAST

Txbroadcaster
11-09-2011, 11:04 AM
I totally understand and get the outrage. That said, Joe Pa was not the one doing this. It was reported that the info he was told was not nearly as bad as what is coming out now. He reported to his superiors. After that, its up to them. Now, I am not saying Joe Pa shouldnt have done more, I am just saying I am going to wait until all the FACTS come out before I change my opinion of him.

BEAST

the simple fact that Joe P did not ban the perv from the football facilities IMO shows that he was turning a blind eye

BEAST
11-09-2011, 11:06 AM
the simple fact that Joe P did not ban the perv from the football facilities IMO shows that he was turning a blind eye

All I am saying is that not one of us here have a clue on what actually went on. To me, it sounds like the perv might have had something on the admins. We will just have to wait and see.

BEAST

Old Tiger
11-09-2011, 11:07 AM

BEASTHe wasn't the one doing the sexual assault but he was enabling a pedophile. Information he received should have been looked into more by him as well as administration. At state college it is said that Joe Pa is greater than the administration. The McQueary story says all you need to know about this case as well as the guy being with a little boy as recent as 2007 on Penn State campus. Hell he was still working out there as of a couple of weeks ago. If that isn't enabling then I don't know what is.

Don't even get me started how the sick pedo bastard had a youth charity. Makes me want to freaking vomit.

BEAST
11-09-2011, 11:10 AM
He wasn't the one doing the sexual assault but he was enabling a pedophile. Information he received should have been looked into more by him as well as administration. At state college it is said that Joe Pa is greater than the administration. The McQueary story says all you need to know about this case as well as the guy being with a little boy as recent as 2007 on Penn State campus. Hell he was still working out there as of a couple of weeks ago. If that isn't enabling then I don't know what is.

Don't even get me started how the sick pedo bastard had a youth charity. Makes me want to freaking vomit.

I totally agree with you as far as Sandusky goes. He should be put to death in a rather violent way for what he did. I havent read the Mcqueary story so I cant comment.

BEAST

Saggy Aggie
11-09-2011, 11:10 AM
I just dont understand how this went unnoticed this long. couple of witnesses. several people knew about. NONE of the 17 boys came forward. The high school coach who found him 'wrestling' with the boy on the wrestling mat. His wife didnt think it was odd that little boys were accompanying him everywhere and staying the night. No one found it weird that he'd put his hand on their knees in the car? There was a mom who knew her son had been showering with Sandusky... like NO ONE called the cops? c'mon man. gimme a break. I'm surprised the grad student didnt go in there and try and help the boy. hell grab a baseball bat, anything. I'd have called the cops right there and had them waiting when Sandusky came out of the shower.

I jsut dont understand how it went on this long and how that many people ended up being affected before it came forward. Like this is serial child molesting. I just dont get it

Old Tiger
11-09-2011, 11:14 AM
I totally agree with you as far as Sandusky goes. He should be put to death in a rather violent way for what he did. I havent read the Mcqueary story so I cant comment.

BEASTIn short McQueary walked in on Sandusky raping a boy in the shower at the Penn State facilities. Walked out and waited a day then went and informed Joe Paterno of the incident. Nothing ever came of the incident.

Bullaholic
11-09-2011, 11:18 AM
In short McQueary walked in on Sandusky raping a boy in the shower at the Penn State facilities. Walked out and waited a day then went and informed Joe Paterno of the incident. Nothing ever came of the incident.

Got no use for MCQueary, either---a grown man who did not have the guts to stop this heinous act and rescue the boy and then call the police.

Saggy Aggie
11-09-2011, 11:18 AM
In short McQueary walked in on Sandusky raping a boy in the shower at the Penn State facilities. Walked out and waited a day then went and informed Joe Paterno of the incident. Nothing ever came of the incident. In joe pa's defense, he did inform his superiors of what he was told. At that point, then their responsibility to investigate. If they dont do anything, then maybe he needs to re involve himself, but yeah... i think the majority of the responsibility falls on the school administration.

Saggy Aggie
11-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Got no use for MCQueary, either---a grown man who did not have the guts to stop this heinous act and rescue the boy and then call the police. +1, why did he wait a full day and go to Joe pa instead of the police immediately??

Old Tiger
11-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Got no use for MCQueary, either---a grown man who did not have the guts to stop this heinous act and rescue the boy and then call the police.Right there with you. I think if I walked in on that happening to a boy I would do everything I could to stop it. Whether that be physically fighting the guy or calling the cops.

IMO They are letting Joe Paterno stay till the end of the season so that way when he goes they can just let go of all their coaches go. Which I'm sure they are on one year contracts.

toddg
11-09-2011, 11:25 AM
i have never been a fan of penn state or joe paterno..but always had my respect..but as a father of 3 sons..i am disgusted by the whole thing..what a house of cards they have managed to build there in not so happy valley. sandusky is a monster engulfed with filth and should be dealt with harshly!.....Pitiful!!!

YTBulldogs
11-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Bottom line, Joe Pa is Penn State. He should of followed up, if not handled this situation himself. Period.

gatordaze
11-09-2011, 11:28 AM
I just dont understand how this went unnoticed this long. couple of witnesses. several people knew about. NONE of the 17 boys came forward. The high school coach who found him 'wrestling' with the boy on the wrestling mat. His wife didnt think it was odd that little boys were accompanying him everywhere and staying the night. No one found it weird that he'd put his hand on their knees in the car? There was a mom who knew her son had been showering with Sandusky... like NO ONE called the cops? c'mon man. gimme a break. I'm surprised the grad student didnt go in there and try and help the boy. hell grab a baseball bat, anything. I'd have called the cops right there and had them waiting when Sandusky came out of the shower.

I jsut dont understand how it went on this long and how that many people ended up being affected before it came forward. Like this is serial child molesting. I just dont get it

How deep does this really go? I was reading that in 1997 Sandusky admitted to showering with a boy to the boys mother with the DA recording the confession in the other room. The result? The DA found that he did not have enough evidence. Where is this DA now? He went missing in 2005 and his body has never been found. The police found searches on his home computer on how to destroy a hard drive. Powerful people keep powerful secrets!

This could be just the tip of a very ugly iceburg!

YTBulldogs
11-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Sandusky will kill himself before all is out.

vet93
11-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Beast...If you read the grand jury indictment document I don't think that you can give Paterno a pass on this. There were incidences that go back as early as 1998 (13-14 years ago). He had knowledge that something was not right and did very little. To think, had he acted with integrity, despite his feelings for a long-time friend, one-time heir apparent and long-time coordinator, many of these boys would not have been subjected to the unwanted advances, fondling and in some cases sodomy from this pervert. This was an abuse of power at many levels. Despite the reports of wrongdoing from more than one source, he chose to ignore these things and pass them off. This is not a case of kids selling their jerseys or getting illegal shoes from a donor...this was abuse of the most heinous kind. On top of that, Paterno is on the board of directors of the "youth organization" that Sandusky had founded to gain access to the type of kids that he could abuse (young, economically challenged, at risk kids). I am not giving the other folks involved a pass on this either, however, because of Paterno's influence, stature, and tenure at the school, it was key that he be the one to proactively make sure that Sandusky no longer had access to these kids. We must be careful not to let our nostalgia for Paterno, mine included, overshadow exactly what he knew and failed to address. While he did not perpetrate these acts, do to his inaction, he is just as morally responsible for the kids who were violated once he knew what Sandusky was capable of.

Saggy Aggie
11-09-2011, 11:35 AM
How deep does this really go? I was reading that in 1997 Sandusky admitted to showering with a boy to the boys mother with the DA recording the confession in the other room. The result? The DA found that he did not have enough evidence. Where is this DA now? He went missing in 2005 and his body has never been found. The police found searches on his home computer on how to destroy a hard drive. Powerful people keep powerful secrets!

This could be just the tip of a very ugly iceburg! I had no idea about the DA going missing, but yeah... thats the same mom that i was talking about that knew her son was showering with sandusky.

TexMike
11-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Sandusky will kill himself before all is out.

Would not be surprised if someone else did that for him (send him to his maker). There are some pretty ticked off folks in the keystone state right now

pancho villa
11-09-2011, 11:39 AM
There is a special place in Hell for Sandusky! And I hope he burns in it for all eternity.

Purple Rain
11-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Bottom line, Joe Pa is Penn State. He should of followed up, if not handled this situation himself. Period.

Agreed. Paterno does not get a pass on this. In fact, don't think he should be allowed to serve out the remainder of the season.

Tejastrue
11-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Whether you like Matt Millen or not... agree with him or not...he makes sense..this was a good interview...

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7207952

YTBulldogs
11-09-2011, 11:53 AM
Agreed. Paterno does not get a pass on this. In fact, don't think he should be allowed to serve out the remainder of the season.

Clean house, run them all off. From the janitor to the President. Rumors of this had to be floating around, and no one did nothing.

gatordaze
11-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Hope Sandusky like the showers at State Penn as much as he did Penn State. Just sayin

YTBulldogs
11-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Hope Sandusky like the showers at State Penn as much as he did Penn State. Just sayin

He'll never make it to prison. He's a wimp and will take the easy way out.

Tejastrue
11-09-2011, 12:05 PM

Good chance he won't make it that far... :mad: Felo de se is in his future...

we agree YT...

BEAST
11-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Whether you like Matt Millen or not... agree with him or not...he makes sense..this was a good interview...

I agree.

BEAST

Bullaholic
11-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Prediction: Jo Pa will be at the remaining Penn St. games, but you won't see him much.

YTBulldogs
11-09-2011, 12:35 PM
The DA that didn't press charges in 1998 when this first surfaced, disappeared soon after and hasn't been seen since. Found his car on side of road, puter and some other items in a river. Wow, more to this story to unfold I believe.

Tx Challenge
11-09-2011, 12:47 PM

+1 My thoughts as well

LionFan72
11-09-2011, 01:31 PM

Matt speaks volumes in this interview. Not defending Sandusky one bit, he is a low life despicable pedophile that needs the sh$t beat out of him daily until the expires a natural death.

This is the society we have built, now we have to deal with it, tolerate behaviours expouse degenerate people that take advantage of the system case in fact. This is not a proud moment for Penn State, nor for any human being with a conscious.

I do think that with the facts we have as reported today, there was a failure by the system to handle the accusations. Why? I don' know, but as an American, i still do have some trust in the judicial system, and believe that many facts will come forth and explain the lingering questions, hopefully! at this point, it is just sickening!

Emerson1
11-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Prediction: Jo Pa will be at the remaining Penn St. games, but you won't see him much.
So it's business as usual.

Don't get why they just don't let him go, it's not like he does anything important.

nobogey72
11-09-2011, 03:25 PM
If it's true that the grad assistant told Paterno that something was going on in that shower between Sandusky and a 10 yr old boy, my question to Joe would be this...... Joe if that same situation had changed to the 10 yr being your grandson, how would your actions have changed. I think we all know the answer to that question. That's why I can't give him a pass on this even if he "technically" did what he was required to do.

hollywood
11-09-2011, 04:14 PM
As hard as it may be for us as humans to forgive what this sick person has done, we can not hold judgement as we are all sinners. Do I want to condemn him, yes. But because God has forgiven us, we must forgive others. He needs prayer as much as the victims and everyone effected does.

James 5:15 And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven.

Luke 6:36-37 Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful. (37) “Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven;

YTBulldogs
11-09-2011, 09:52 PM
Joe Pa has been fired. Board voted to can him now and not allow him to finish season.

YTBulldogs
11-09-2011, 09:58 PM
Now, who fires the board.

bigwood33
11-09-2011, 10:00 PM
This whole thing is terrible. Before the Sandusky mess occurred I sure never thought that I would see the day the Joe Paterno would be fired. The "body count" just continues to rise in Happy Valley.
The real tragedy is for all of the children who had their innocence, childhood, and trust ripped from them. We may never know just how many lives Sandusky laid waste to before he was finally stopped...Paterno and the other leaders at Penn State could have stopped him 10 years ago and they didn't. Losing their jobs is hardly enough.

kaorder1999
11-09-2011, 10:02 PM
wow..if thats true then thats great!

Buckeye80
11-09-2011, 10:08 PM
If this had happened at Indiana University, you'd notice two glaring differences. Number one, not NEARLY the coverage for this. And second, the head coach would still have a job. All the coverage about this has been focused on Joe Paterno. ALL OF IT!!! Not once, has anyone spent more than 15 seconds talking about that disgusting piece of garbage of a human being that did all this stuff, before turning back to Joe Paterno bashing!!

bigwood33
11-09-2011, 10:08 PM
ESPN is reporting it, Paterno and the president of the university both got canned by the board.

bigwood33
11-09-2011, 10:13 PM
If this had happened at Indiana University, you'd notice two glaring differences. Number one, not NEARLY the coverage for this. And second, the head coach would still have a job. All the coverage about this has been focused on Joe Paterno. ALL OF IT!!! Not once, has anyone spent more than 15 seconds talking about that disgusting piece of garbage of a human being that did all this stuff, before turning back to Joe Paterno bashing!!
I disagree. Sandusky will do his prison time and I have seen him in news reports in cuffs. The issue with Paterno and the other leaders at Penn State is they stood by and did nothing even after they were informed of what Sandusky was doing. Their answer was to take his keys away. They had bigger responsibilities than that. They were the people who were best positioned to protect the children that Sandusky was raping. Those men will not face jail time, their collective jobs will have to do.

Pawdaddy
11-09-2011, 10:17 PM
The perpetrator is a virtual nobody who will get what is coming to him. JoePa has been the epitome of a head coach at any level for like, forever. Anytime anyone who is at the very top of their profession has a chink in any portion of their life that can be plastered in the headlines, they will be torched. Something of this magnitude that happens and anyone knows about it and does not go screaming to authorities is guilty. If the authorities do not do something, you still have to scream until someone takes notice. JoePa screwed up big time. Sad end to an unbelievable career.

Buckeye80
11-09-2011, 10:18 PM
I disagree. Sandusky will do his prison time and I have seen him in news reports in cuffs. The issue with Paterno and the other leaders at Penn State is they stood by and did nothing even after they were informed of what Sandusky was doing. Their answer was to take his keys away. They had bigger responsibilities than that. They were the people who were best positioned to protect the children that Sandusky was raping. Those men will not face jail time, their collective jobs will have to do.

I don't condone any actions by anyone involved in the whole process. They dropped the ball; no doubt! But it is only national round the clock news because of Joe Paterno. Therefore, he becomes almost the target of all of the judgement because the media has to throw his name around. Can you name the guy who saw it? Paterno's boss? The president of Penn St?? With all the coverage, we should know them all by name, but we don't!

Pawdaddy
Note the signature!

YTBulldogs
The perpetrator is a virtual nobody who will get what is coming to him. JoePa has been the epitome of a head coach at any level for like, forever. Anytime anyone who is at the very top of their profession has a chink in any portion of their life that can be plastered in the headlines, they will be torched. Something of this magnitude that happens and anyone knows about it and does not go screaming to authorities is guilty. If the authorities do not do something, you still have to scream until someone takes notice. JoePa screwed up big time. Sad end to an unbelievable career.

:iagree:

Buckeye80
11-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Steve Levy just said, " This is the first time we're mentioning Sandusky's name."

YTBulldogs
11-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Reports are some students are rioting in the streets.

ApacheForever
11-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Yes, something should have been done a long time ago with the monster Sandusky. But, in Joe's defense in just the few articles I have read he followed proper protocol. He was not hired to be the campus police. If he would have addressed this monster and made accusations we probably would have seen the articles where Sandusky was sueing Joe for assuming and smearing his name. No where does it say Joe knew for sure this horrible act was going on. Someone came to him and he sent the info up the ladder. Why did the person that reported it to Joe let it stop there; why didn't he see it go further. Looks like too many people turned and looked the other way and if that is the case they should all be fired. But always remember Joe was hired to coach football not perform detective duties.

Pawdaddy
11-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Yes, something should have been done a long time ago with the monster Sandusky. But, in Joe's defense in just the few articles I have read he followed proper protocol. He was not hired to be the campus police. If he would have addressed this monster and made accusations we probably would have seen the articles where Sandusky was sueing Joe for assuming and smearing his name. No where does it say Joe knew for sure this horrible act was going on. Someone came to him and he sent the info up the ladder. Why did the person that reported it to Joe let it stop there; why didn't he see it go further. Looks like too many people turned and looked the other way and if that is the case they should all be fired. But always remember Joe was hired to coach football not perform detective duties.

He worked for Joe.

bobcat4life
11-09-2011, 10:40 PM
The board just got roasted!

Txbroadcaster
11-09-2011, 10:49 PM
This is not just about Joe P and reporting...this is about how after he still allowed the guy in the football facility, still had a relationship with him..Joe dropped the ball..or worse he enabled

Tx Challenge
11-09-2011, 11:01 PM
Sad, but this is the right move. As Tx Broadcaster said, Joe knew. He reported it, he is not the police, he did not follow up. He still let the coach be a part of the team.Mistake. Suspend him till the matter is over. If he is found not guilty, reinstate him with backpay......Anyone can accuse someone of anything. Being a SEC fan, I hated northern teams. Always respected Penn State. Loved what Joe brought to the game. Hate Hate Hate, he leaves on these terms. It sucks to respect a guy all your life, and find out he is not what you thought.

Tin Cup
11-09-2011, 11:03 PM
If you know something is going on and you do little about it, you are just as guilty as the rest. Penn State may not ever recover from this...

Buckeye80
11-09-2011, 11:13 PM
He worked for Joe.

He resigned in 1999. These events took place in 2002. He no longer worked for JoePa at the time.

Buckeye80
11-09-2011, 11:16 PM
If you know something is going on and you do little about it, you are just as guilty as the rest. Penn State may not ever recover from this...

Oh bologna!! Joe Paterno was not the one molesting children. No one is as guilty as that depraved "not typing what I'm thinking right now" guy!

sTxforlife
11-09-2011, 11:28 PM
Joe followed the chain of command, he told the Athletic Director and he chose to do nothing. That is not Joe's fault at all! They should have let him finish out the season and resign on his own terms. Everyone has a right to be angry at the board because they made a stupid decision. They have never liked him and have been looking for a reason to fire him for years. I am not saying that Joe couldnt have done more because he could have, I just do not think he should have been fired for this. If he would have coached in this game he would have had the record for most games ever coached. Very sad event indeed.

eagles_victory
11-09-2011, 11:30 PM
If this had happened at Indiana University, you'd notice two glaring differences. Number one, not NEARLY the coverage for this. And second, the head coach would still have a job. All the coverage about this has been focused on Joe Paterno. ALL OF IT!!! Not once, has anyone spent more than 15 seconds talking about that disgusting piece of garbage of a human being that did all this stuff, before turning back to Joe Paterno bashing!! Disagree Baylor wasn't exactly relevant when the Bliss story broke and that was EVERYWHERE too.

eagles_victory
11-09-2011, 11:38 PM
Joe followed the chain of command, he told the Athletic Director and he chose to do nothing. That is not Joe's fault at all! They should have let him finish out the season and resign on his own terms. Everyone has a right to be angry at the board because they made a stupid decision. They have never liked him and have been looking for a reason to fire him for years. I am not saying that Joe couldnt have done more because he could have, I just do not think he should have been fired for this. If he would have coached in this game he would have had the record for most games ever coached. Very sad event indeed. Thing is Paterno had the most power of anyone on that campus and if someone comes to me when Im head coach that one of my former coaches is giving a 10 year old oral sex in the bathroom in my athletic building. I am making sure he never comes back and the police are called. When it comes to something of this nature following the chain of command simply isn't good enough.

kaorder1999
11-10-2011, 12:01 AM
He resigned in 1999. These events took place in 2002. He no longer worked for JoePa at the time.

happened in 1998...then "retired" in 99

sTxforlife
11-10-2011, 12:10 AM
What people dont seem to understand is that Joe actually did what he was supposed to do, he followed the proper chain of command, he told the athletic director and he chose not to do anything! That is not his fault! Yes he could have done more but he did what he was supposed to do! This is a very unfortunate situation and my heart goes out to the families of those children. Im not saying that he did the right thing, just saying people should be a little more lax on the guy when he really didnt do anything wrong

pirate4state
11-10-2011, 12:45 AM
McQueary still employed is a tragedy. He should be in jail too!

Johnny 5
11-10-2011, 01:01 AM
Suspend him till the matter is over. If he is found not guilty, reinstate him with backpay......Anyone can accuse someone of anything. . . .

That is not his job. That is the AD's job, whom Paterno notified.

Nope. He followed proper procedure and the law, which is why he was not indicted.

Penn State fired him to save face.
Thing is Paterno had the most power of anyone on that campus and if someone comes to me when Im head coach that one of my former coaches is giving a 10 year old oral sex in the bathroom in my athletic building. I am making sure he never comes back and the police are called. When it comes to something of this nature following the chain of command simply isn't good enough.

According to the grand jury report, Paterno was not filled in in all of the details. The first time he heard specifics was in the grand jury.

McQueary still employed is a tragedy. He should be in jail too!

Where is the witch-hunt for McQueary? How about the judge, DA, and State Police that took three years to start the case? The AD (who also happened to be in charge of the campus police department??

Like was said earlier, the board already had it in for Paterno. That is fairly well known. The media witch-hunt just added fuel to the fire, and now you have everyone that hates Penn State biting at the bit to get rid of Paterno. This is nothing more than a circus, and the board finally getting what they want without the backlash from fans and the small portion of the media that liked the man.

bigwood33
11-10-2011, 06:42 AM
The entire leadership at Penn State has lost their job(s) over this: the AD, President of the University, Assistant AD, and yes, the head coach. The failure to act by these men allowed more abuse to occur. If any one of them had called the police, the sherriff's dept, the state troopers, or simply CPS, none of them would have lost their job. In Texas, if you suspect child abuse is occurring and don't report it to the police, it is a crime and I am sure that Pennsylvania has similar laws on the books. Those men at PSU should probably just be happy that they aren't facing criminal charges too. I certainly don't want to dog pile here and I don't have all of the facts in the case but the resignations and firings that have taken place, are appropriate...sad, maybe even tragic, but appropriate.

3afan
11-10-2011, 06:42 AM

I would hope that at any university if the head coach was INVOLVED, which JoePa was, then they need to be let go.

gameface
11-10-2011, 08:07 AM
Zero tolerance should be applied. I have a 10 yr. old-pretty sick fella named Sandusky!! Penn State made the right decision.

Farmersfan
11-10-2011, 08:37 AM
#1. If you or I had knowledge of a child rape and didn't inform the police we go to jail! Everybody from Sandusky all the way to the top needs to go to jail. The HELL with campus chain of command. Besides, Joe Pa was the top of the chain from all accounts.

#2. The comment about Joe "not knowing the details" is retarded. Give me a single example of how something like this could be minimized to the point where a rational person wouldn't be alarmed! Especially considering Sandusky had been investigated (and admitted to) another incident in 98' that everyone at Penn State was aware of. No amount of pretending ignorance is acceptable in this. I know it will never happen but Joe Pa needs to go to prison!

#3. Conspiracy theory: (and my personal belief in some form or fashion). The charity created by Sandusky called The Second Mile is actually a front to funnel money to the players on the Penn State football team. That charity took in millions of dollars and had many, many big name alumns from Penn State on the board of directors. Mark Wahlberg, Cal Ripkin Jr., Arnold Palmer, Franco Harris and even coach Lou Holtz are a few that we know about. Joe Pa was deeply involved in this and Sandusky had Joe Pa bent over a barrell. (not litterally). Joe Pa could not blow the whistle on Sandusky without having his involvement in the payment of players revealed. Of course the NCAA will work overtime to cover this up.

Farmersfan
11-10-2011, 08:42 AM
According to the grand jury report, Paterno was not filled in in all of the details. The first time he heard specifics was in the grand jury.

How much "Detail" do you need to be concerned about a child rape??????????

gatordaze
11-10-2011, 08:55 AM
What would Paterno had done if the GA had told him it was his 10 year old grandson? exactly! Why was this kid not worthy of his moral obligation.

Txbroadcaster
11-10-2011, 09:00 AM
a reporter on a station called WEEI is reporting that Sanduzky pimped out boys in his charity to rich donors..if true...WOW

Farmersfan
11-10-2011, 09:09 AM
a reporter on a station called WEEI is reporting that Sanduzky pimped out boys in his charity to rich donors..if true...WOW

Wow! but I think we have only just begun to hear the REAL TRUTH about what was going on. I've said 1000s of times that I find it contradictory for the NCAA to react the way they do against certain schools or certain acts when everybody knows that the same things go on at pretty much every school. Yes! Even our beloved local schools like UT, A&M and others will have a seedy underbelly. It's only a matter of time before it comes out. But the NCAA leaps at the chance to show their dismay when it is brought to light but rarely ever does anything to prevent it before then. Now the NCAA is saying publically they don't anticipate any investigation or action on their part against Penn State. How is Penn State not given the death penalty in this? The whole thing is a bit retarded!

Farmersfan
11-10-2011, 09:12 AM
What would Paterno had done if the GA had told him it was his 10 year old grandson? exactly! Why was this kid not worthy of his moral obligation.

Especially if you consider Joe Pa knew that Sandusky had been investigated by the DA for (and admitted to) showering naked with a 10 year old in 98'! I'm pretty sure Joe Pa knew a lot more but we know for a FACT he was aware of this!

Farmersfan
11-10-2011, 09:19 AM
http://www.businessinsider.com/jerry-sandusky-donors-2011-11

gatordaze
11-10-2011, 09:20 AM
Wow! but I think we have only just begun to hear the REAL TRUTH about what was going on. I've said 1000s of times that I find it contradictory for the NCAA to react the way they do against certain schools or certain acts when everybody knows that the same things go on at pretty much every school. Yes! Even our beloved local schools like UT, A&M and others will have a seedy underbelly. It's only a matter of time before it comes out. But the NCAA leaps at the chance to show their dismay when it is brought to light but rarely ever does anything to prevent it before then. Now the NCAA is saying publically they don't anticipate any investigation or action on their part against Penn State. How is Penn State not given the death penalty in this? The whole thing is a bit retarded!

This is the death penalty. No way 4 and 5 star recruits are going to choose PSU and the opportunity to shower each day in "molestation hall"! Not to mention what coach has actually succeeded in directly following a legend? PSU to the MAC is the next headline.

BEAST
11-10-2011, 09:20 AM

Why would Penn St be given the death penalty? What NCAA violations occured? It is this irrational thinking that has everybody acting as if Joe Pa was the perv.

BEAST

Johnny 5
11-10-2011, 09:28 AM
The entire leadership at Penn State has lost their job(s) over this: the AD, President of the University, Assistant AD, and yes, the head coach. The failure to act by these men allowed more abuse to occur. If any one of them had called the police, the sherriff's dept, the state troopers, or simply CPS, none of them would have lost their job. In Texas, if you suspect child abuse is occurring and don't report it to the police, it is a crime and I am sure that Pennsylvania has similar laws on the books. Those men at PSU should probably just be happy that they aren't facing criminal charges too. I certainly don't want to dog pile here and I don't have all of the facts in the case but the resignations and firings that have taken place, are appropriate...sad, maybe even tragic, but appropriate.

The law in PA is that if you are an educator you must report it to your superior, and the person at the top takes care of it.

marler1972
11-10-2011, 09:29 AM
This is the death penalty. No way 4 and 5 star recruits are going to choose PSU and the opportunity to shower each day in "molestation hall"! Not to mention what coach has actually succeeded in directly following a legend? PSU to the MAC is the next headline.

It really depends on who they hire as a replacement. If you hire a big name Urban for example you will still see 4 and 5 * recruits go there if they just promote from with in the program will decline rapidly.

Johnny 5
11-10-2011, 09:32 AM
How much "Detail" do you need to be concerned about a child rape??????????

Read the grand jury report. He did not know the details. All he knew was that something might have been going on, and so he reported it as he was supposed to do.

WHy no outrage for McQueary who actually saw the crime in action, and did nothing but reported it to Paterno a few hours later?

Why no outrage over Sandusky?

Nope. We must villify a man who was cleared of any wrong doing by a grand jury. Quite ridiculous.

Johnny 5
11-10-2011, 09:34 AM

That is a fallacy.

Never mind that, as you just showed, moral obligation is subjective.

Johnny 5
11-10-2011, 09:37 AM
Onward State: Sandusky Scandal: National Media Misses The Mark
November 9, 2011 20:10:26

By Dan Vecellio

Quick. Don't think. Who is prime suspect number one in the scandal involving Penn State right now? If you were to read 95% of the stories put out by the national media since Sunday or gone on Twitter or (from stories I've heard) spoken with any of the national talking heads trudging through State College right now, they would tell you that the villain in this horrible, horrible incident is Joe Paterno.

Tell me, when was the last time you heard Jerry Sandusky's name? When was the last time you heard about the charges brought against athletic director Tim Curley and former VP of Business and Finance Gary Schultz? I'm fairly certain that these three men have been the ones charged with crimes in this on-going investigation.

Some of you may know me as the former sports editor at Onward State. I started writing my junior year and became fascinated with journalism. I found it exciting to go fact-finding. To be able to relate a story to the masses was an exhilarating feeling. But over the past five days, my love for the craft has dwindled. I realized a whole lot about the business of journalism after reading the stories of the New York Times, Washington Post and some of the most respected news blogs in the nation. And yes, I said BUSINESS of journalism. Because journalism has now gone past its roots. It is no longer about telling a story. It is making up the story that will sell the most papers, get the most pageviews, accrue the most Twitter followers and make the most money in the end. What will sell a story? Will a story about a no-name like Gary Schultz sell papers? Will a story about Tim Curley get an author noticed? Even a story on Graham Spanier, who has a bit more national prominence, won't bring in readership. Like I said, when was the last big story on the perpetrator, Jerry Sandusky, written?

You know what will sell, though? The downfall of an American icon. A man who has spent 60 years building the reputation of a football program, a university, a whole town doing the "legal minimum" but not his "moral duty" being pummeled both in writing and by cameras and microphones everywhere he goes. I can guarantee you, if Penn State was coached by some no-name, the stories churned out would be about the victims and the men who perpetrated these crimes.

I'm not here to defend what Joe Paterno did or did not do. That has been talked about in many other posts and in many other comment boards. But I hope to convey some of the things the media has lost sight of over the past week by dissecting different allegations they have brought up. Please follow along below.

1. "JOE PATERNO NEVER FOLLOWED UP ON THESE CHARGES" or "JOE PATERNO SENT THIS UP THE CHAIN OF COMMAND AND WASHED HIS HANDS OF THE SITUATION"

This was the first of many "facts" that was made up by the national media. If you've read the Grand Jury testimony, I commend you. Now go read it again. Pick out the part where it says Joe never went back to Tim Curley or Gary Schultz to see what was happening in the process. It never says he did, but it sure as hell doesn't say he didn't either.

2. "JOE PATERNO KNEW ABOUT (OR HAD TO HAVE KNOWN ABOUT) THE '98 ALLEGATIONS AND STILL LET A CHILD RAPIST AROUND HIS TEAM"

Once again, go back to the testimony. Nowhere does it say that Joe knew about any allegations before 2002. In fact, one person I know sat in a class on Tuesday and listened to Patriot-News reporter Sara Garim, who has been the point person for all of the investigative stories dealing with this case, say that Joe testified he did not know about the 1998 allegations, going as far to say: "I think it's fair to say, as far as you could possibly say, that Joe Paterno didn't know about [the 1998 investigation]." If some real investigating had been done by the national media, they'd probably know that too.

3. "JOE PATERNO ENABLED A CHILD RAPIST"

Use your words better. I understand your need for emphasis to sell, but using the word enable makes it seem like Joe hand-picked the boys for Sandusky.

4. "JOE PATERNO IS TIM CURLEY'S/GRAHAM SPANIER'S BOSS" or "JOE PATERNO RUNS PENN STATE UNIVERSITY"

Many columnists have brought this point up in regards to Joe pushing Mike McQueary's information up the chain of command. Since Joe runs everything there, he is to blame. He is the head honcho. Find other columns these men and women have written. Look at their Twitter feeds over the past year. Look at them from the past week! They'll tell you that he doesn't even run his own football team anymore and hasn't for 15 years. For an 84-year old man to not be able to look over 85 players and a coaching staff, but yet control 44,000 students on the University Park campus, plus the administrators, plus the faculty, plus the staff and handle day-to-day operations of a university seems unimaginable to me. But you know, whatever argument works at the time, guys.

When Joe Paterno released his retirement statement Wednesday morning, he said that he would finish out the year coaching. A large majority of the people I follow on Twitter and TV commentators said it wasn't enough and were adamant about it. He needed to resign now or be fired by the Board of Trustees. A huge, HUGE backlash for a man who just wants to coach four or five more football games. Later on in the afternoon, Ben Jones of Black Shoes Diaries and StateCollege.com tweeted that he was told Jerry Sandusky was spotted working out in a gym with his wife this morning. The reaction? "Wow." "Geez." "Welp."

This story has become so twisted that negative emotion about a man coaching a football game exceeds that of an accused chlid molester walking the streets of the town where he committed his crimes by what it seems to be millions of percent. By focusing on the tear-down of the most notable figure involved in the case, people have become numb to the man who did the most damage and those who have been accused to covering up that damage.

Sensationalizing a story led to Joe Paterno being the first man to lose his job in this fiasco. And while I have no qualms about saying Joe had to step down after this mess blew up, when looking back at the facts, is he really the first man who should have gotten the axe?

Now, since the media has completed Objective One: Bring Down JoePa, I hope they do what I always believed journalists did: find the facts, dig through the sources and tell the people the real stories happening in State College.

Source (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/blackberry/p.html?id=1085201)

Explains it perfectly.

The board finally got the power play they wanted. It is common knowledge that they wanted Paterno out years ago. They could not do it without causing an uproar. This was the perfect opportunity for them to get what they wanted, and try and save face.

gatordaze
11-10-2011, 09:47 AM
It really depends on who they hire as a replacement. If you hire a big name Urban for example you will still see 4 and 5 * recruits go there if they just promote from with in the program will decline rapidly.

Meyer wont touch PSU. Not to mention following a legend is not proven to be positive.

kaorder1999
11-10-2011, 09:54 AM
Joe Paterno knew of the allegations...Nothing anyone can say will ever convince me otherwise. Having said that, he still allowed Sandusky on campus and around young people and around his program and from reports Ive read, was even allowed to office on campus. He FAILED as the leader of that football program for that reason alone in my opinion. Did he do anything "lawfully" wrong? Doesnt seem like it. Read the grand jury report. Paterno was aware of "fondling" between Sandusky and what looked like a 10 year old boy. Paterno TESTIFIED to the grand jury that he was told there was a "sex act" and "fondling" witnessed. FOUR years before this Grad Assistant saw with his own eyes the alleged "sex act", police were questioning Sandusky about showering with boys. Paterno had to know that as well. At one point Sandusky was told by Paterno and others to stop bringing young boys to campus. Why tell him that if Paterno didnt know what was going on? And why tell him not to bring boys around but still allow him on campus and office on campus and use this office as a place to organize camps for young boys and allow these camps to take place on campus?? Paterno deserves to be fired!

Farmersfan
11-10-2011, 09:57 AM
The law in PA is that if you are an educator you must report it to your superior, and the person at the top takes care of it.

You sound more and more uninformed with every post. Every state mandates that child abuse be reported IMMEDIATELY to a law enforcement agency. There were many, many people in this case that had knowledge of this POSSIBLE abuse and had a legal and moral obligation to report it to the police or child protective services. Joe Pa included!

http://www.rainn.org/files/reportingdatabase/Pennsylvania/PennsylvaniaChildrenMandatoryReporting.pdf

marler1972
11-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Here is the grand jury report

http://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/sandusky-grand-jury-presentment.pdf

JoePa's testimony is in victim 2

Farmersfan
11-10-2011, 10:05 AM
You sound more and more uninformed with every post. Every state mandates that child abuse be reported IMMEDIATELY to a law enforcement agency. There were many, many people in this case that had knowledge of this POSSIBLE abuse and had a legal and moral obligation to report it to the police or child protective services. Joe Pa included!

http://www.rainn.org/files/reportingdatabase/Pennsylvania/PennsylvaniaChildrenMandatoryReporting.pdf

I just read the last line. Maybe I was wrong!

"Whenever a person is required to report abuse in their capacity as a
member of the staff of a medical or other public or private
institution, school, facility or agency, that person shall immediately
notify the person in charge of the institution, school, facility or
agency or the designated agent of the person in charge. Upon
notification, the person in charge or the designated agent, if any,
shall assume the responsibility and have the legal obligation to
report or cause a report to be made."

NastySlot
11-10-2011, 10:06 AM
Now the NCAA is saying publically they don't anticipate any investigation or action on their part against Penn State. How is Penn State not given the death penalty in this? The whole thing is a bit retarded!

trying to stay out of this discussion...it makes me sick what happen, what was allowed to happen and disappointed in someone I thought was good for college football and helped to make it better and built a university both in athletics and academics....crushed that a great career has come to this.....I wish Paterno had done more......................but this part of your post I don't get............why should Penn State be given the Death Penalty why should the football players of that program be punished now in the future?...........what does that solve?

now if you had said that with this the character of the athletic dept and coaches has to come into question about other practices...maybe I would see a point............but wipe out a program and affect lives of 18-22 year old kids for something they didn't do I don't get..................that would be like punishing the witnesses of a hit and run accident....those kids aren't the ones that should be punished.

the question I keep asking is why didn't the former GA now Assistant coach step in a stop it..........protect the child...call the police a crime was taking place .... how does he live with himself for not doing anything at that moment and how did(does) he continue to work in the enviromnent of that crime.

this makes me sick...........these were adults and there were so many that could stopped it and prevent it from getting to this point....I just don't understand

Black_Magic
11-10-2011, 10:14 AM
I just read the last line. Maybe I was wrong!

"Whenever a person is required to report abuse in their capacity as a
member of the staff of a medical or other public or private
institution, school, facility or agency, that person shall immediately
notify the person in charge of the institution, school, facility or
agency or the designated agent of the person in charge. Upon
notification, the person in charge or the designated agent, if any,
shall assume the responsibility and have the legal obligation to
report or cause a report to be made."
If Joe, After reporting it to the person above him, finds out from the coach who commited this Rape that the guy did molest this kid , He is at fault if he did not make sure that the authorities were notified! Its a CRIME! A kid was raped! you have a duty to make sure its teated right. IMO he was just as guilty of the cover up if he knows all this and knows the authorities are not called! The GA is also to blame for not stopping it and calling the cops on the spot

Cam
11-10-2011, 10:20 AM
wow..a riot broke out in Happy Valley...those people don't know how to riot like them W. Virginia folks.....just sayin'....

Ranger Mom
11-10-2011, 10:26 AM
trying to stay out of this discussion...it makes me sick what happen, what was allowed to happen and disappointed in someone I thought was good for college football and helped to make it better and built a university both in athletics and academics....crushed that a great career has come to this.....I wish Paterno had done more......................but this part of your post I don't get............why should Penn State be given the Death Penalty why should the football players of that program be punished now in the future?...........what does that solve?

now if you had said that with this the character of the athletic dept and coaches has to come into question about other practices...maybe I would see a point............but wipe out a program and affect lives of 18-22 year old kids for something they didn't do I don't get..................that would be like punishing the witnesses of a hit and run accident....those kids aren't the ones that should be punished.

the question I keep asking is why didn't the former GA now Assistant coach step in a stop it..........protect the child...call the police a crime was taking place .... how does he live with himself for not doing anything at that moment and how did(does) he continue to work in the enviromnent of that crime.

this makes me sick...........these were adults and there were so many that could stopped it and prevent it from getting to this point....I just don't understand

As a "child molestation" survivor myself that's what I don't understand. How could the GA WITNESS it happening, right in front of his eyes, and then turn and walk away....leaving that poor kid. It pains me to think of what the little kid must have been thinking when he thought he was going to be rescued, only to have a back turned to him. That is what makes me sicker than anything!!

I would hope that if I was ever to witness something as heinous as that, I would first physically try and stop the act, and secondly, shout it from the rooftops to every available avenue....my boss, their boss, the police, CPS....EVERYONE!!!

Reading all this makes me physically sick at my stomach!!! I think where Paterno screwed up is he did the LEAST of what he had to do.

I have no problem with everyone who even had an inkling of what was going on, and didn't report it to police, being fired!!

Farmersfan
11-10-2011, 10:29 AM

I agree that that GA should have called the police! Just as Joe Pa should have called the police and on up the ladder! Nobody with any knowledge of this is exempt in my book to NOT call the police.

There are currently 33 NCAA regulated Universities on probation for some form of rules violation or inappropriate actions. Multiply that by 100 and you will still be under the numbers that have been in the past. Not all the athletes on these teams were responsible for the acts or actions that prompted the probation or suspensions yet they had to "be punished" too! In my humble opinion this action by Penn State by far exceeds any other that I have ever witnessed by any school. This makes what SMU did look like childs play and SMU was dealt with very, very hardly. Why would any rational person not want this school punished to fullest extent of the law. (including Joe Pa)

BEAST
11-10-2011, 10:32 AM
I agree that that GA should have called the police! Just as Joe Pa should have called the police and on up the ladder! Nobody with any knowledge of this is exempt in my book to NOT call the police.

There are currently 33 NCAA regulated Universities on probation for some form of rules violation or inappropriate actions. Multiply that by 100 and you will still be under the numbers that have been in the past. Not all the athletes on these teams were responsible for the acts or actions that prompted the probation or suspensions yet they had to "be punished" too! In my humble opinion this action by Penn State by far exceeds any other that I have ever witnessed by any school. This makes what SMU did look like childs play and SMU was dealt with very, very hardly. Why would any rational person not want this school punished to fullest extent of the law. (including Joe Pa)

The school didnt break any rules, Sandusky did.

BEAST

Farmersfan
11-10-2011, 10:34 AM
As a "child molestation" survivor myself that's what I don't understand. How could the GA WITNESS it happening, right in front of his eyes, and then turn and walk away....leaving that poor kid. It pains me to think of what the little kid must have been thinking when he thought he was going to be rescued, only to have a back turned to him. That is what makes me sicker than anything!!

I would hope that if I was ever to witness something as heinous as that, I would first physically try and stop the act, and secondly, shout it from the rooftops to every available avenue....my boss, their boss, the police, CPS....EVERYONE!!!

Reading all this makes me physically sick at my stomach!!! I think where Paterno screwed up is he did the LEAST of what he had to do.

I have no problem with everyone who even had an inkling of what was going on, and didn't report it to police, being fired!!

I agree 100%. If i walk up and see this I probably go to jail because i'm still beating on Sandusky!!

NastySlot
11-10-2011, 10:34 AM

I agree there are many that have to answer for there lack of intervention and prevention.......regardless of following protocol and chain of command.........Adults( people) have a responsibility to protect all children.

Farmersfan
11-10-2011, 10:36 AM
The school didnt break any rules, Sandusky did.

BEAST

I guess your right! If you don't consider covering up Child Rape against the rules..................:crazy:

Saggy Aggie
11-10-2011, 10:36 AM
I think they should promote McQueary to be paterno's replacement.

Farmersfan
11-10-2011, 10:44 AM
I agree there are many that have to answer for there lack of intervention and prevention.......regardless of following protocol and chain of command.........Adults( people) have a responsibility to protect all children.

My questions also includes how was Sandusky allowed to continue to operate or be around a foundation geared towards young men after he was accused (and admitted to) unacceptable behavior with a minor in 98'? Seems to me the police or DA should have to answer for dropping the charges against Sandusky then. A 19 year old boy in high school who dates a 16 year old girl for 2 years but then pisses her off to the point where she screams rape is labled his entire life as a sexual predator and yet a 60 year old man who admits to showering (and making inappropriate contact) with a 10 year old boy is allowed to walk away without even a slap on his hand. What kind of screwed up world do we live in?

BEAST
11-10-2011, 10:48 AM
I guess your right! If you don't consider covering up Child Rape against the rules..................:crazy:

I didnt say what happened is right. There were laws broken for sure. But, the death penalty has to do with NCAA violations, not broken laws.

BEAST

Black_Magic
11-10-2011, 11:01 AM
was the Coach alowed to continue to coach AFTER he did this? just wondering. I think it matters a great deal if he stayed on as ANYTHING with the university after this happened.. Anyone know this?

NastySlot
11-10-2011, 11:02 AM
This makes what SMU did look like childs play and SMU was dealt with very, very hardly. Why would any rational person not want this school punished to fullest extent of the law. (including Joe Pa)

I guess my RATIONALE would be cheating and breaking rules are NCAA violation that are delt with by that governing body and to continue to do so would lead to sanctions............
.What those in charge at Penn State did or didn't do was Criminal and those involved after further investigation will have to answer for their charges......The courts will have the
final say........and hopefully Justice will be served.

I guess I don't understand why you would want to further destroy a football program or a university....... what Justice is served?

I think everything Joe Paterno did to build Penn State in his lifetime has been has forever been tarnished.

so I guess in your opinion I am not rational.....................cause I say punish those involved................not the entire University.

NastySlot
11-10-2011, 11:05 AM
was the Coach alowed to continue to coach AFTER he did this? just wondering. I think it matters a great deal if he stayed on as ANYTHING with the university after this happened.. Anyone know this?

my understanding is he still had an office in the athletic bldg...access to the university and also held football camps at satellite campus throughout the state.

kaorder1999
11-10-2011, 11:11 AM

He retired in 99, shortly after the allegations. Was he "forced" to reture? Nobody will probably ever know. BUT...he WAS allowed to office on campus and use campus facilities for his camp for kids. And has been allowed to be on campus up to as recently as a week or so ago.

RMAC
11-10-2011, 11:14 AM
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Sir Edmund Burke. Football program be damned, I don't care what school it is. They put the name of the program ahead of the lives of these alleged victims. They got what they deserved.

Trench Warrior
11-10-2011, 11:20 AM
I think the problem in this whole thing for me is this. For a man who without a doubt has been loyal and would go to the ends of the earth for his school and his players, he absolutely did the bare minimum required of him in reporting this incident. For him, we all expected more, and I think that is why he is catching so much ire. He is being held to a higher standard because he has shown himself for decades to be a man of class and unshakeable character (and I absolutely think he is). One of the many attributes we love about him is that he is so so loyal. But I think in this case he was too loyal to a friend that didn't deserve it. In this case he slipped up, and it involved underage children. This was a perfect storm that even Joe Pa couldn't weather. Sad day.

Cam
11-10-2011, 11:22 AM
:eek:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/sports/ncaafootball/questions-on-sandusky-wrapped-in-2005-gricar-mystery.html

Black_Magic
11-10-2011, 11:48 AM
He retired in 99, shortly after the allegations. Was he "forced" to reture? Nobody will probably ever know. BUT...he WAS allowed to office on campus and use campus facilities for his camp for kids. And has been allowed to be on campus up to as recently as a week or so ago. he had an office on campus AFTER the incident?? of was that ended when this happened?

BEAST
11-10-2011, 11:59 AM
:eek:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/sports/ncaafootball/questions-on-sandusky-wrapped-in-2005-gricar-mystery.html

This is the first mystery that has to be solved. This whole mess should have been put to bed then. What happened to the DA and why and who did it is going to answer all the questions. This deal is bigger than any of us know IMO.

BEAST

DavidWooderson
11-10-2011, 12:15 PM
The whole ordeal makes me sick

Macarthur
11-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Those that have posted on here defending Paterno need to have their head examined.

Can you honestly say your opinion would be the same if one of the children were your child?

Old Tiger
11-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Sandusky was on campus as recent as last week working out at the facilities.

NastySlot
11-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Those that have posted on here defending Paterno need to have their head examined.

Can you honestly say your opinion would be the same if one of the children were your child?

I hope no one confuses my defending Penn State in earlier post with that of defending Paterno....I don't at all. I am at a loss that adults could do what they have............and I crushed that man admired at one time could be involved in this....and not have done anything to stop it or prevent.

pirate4state
11-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Why does McQueary still have a job?!

How he has been able to live with himself since that night in 2002 is beyond me!

NastySlot
11-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Why does McQueary still have a job?!

I have asked myself the same question why hasn't he taken it upon himself to resign.....how does he live with himself. He witnessed a child being raped and did nothing. He shows up for work everyday to site of a crime he could of stopped.

I hate to pass judgement.....but I just don't understand this. I am disgusted and disappointed.

lostaussie
11-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Happy Valley...............not very happy right now. What a shame and what a mess!!

lostaussie
11-10-2011, 02:11 PM
[QUOTE=pirate4state;1633026]Why does McQueary still have a job?!

QUOTE]I doubt seriously he makes the weekend.

Macarthur
11-10-2011, 02:19 PM
............and I crushed that man admired at one time could be involved in this....and not have done anything to stop it or prevent.

I think this is an interesting point and possibly worth it's own thread.

I it reminds me of this great quote:

Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy.

F. Scott Fitzgerald

I'm wondering at what point, we as a society stop putting these folks on a petestal. Humans just don't deserve it. While people are certainly capable of great things, we are flawed creatures and I do not believe in 'heroes'.

NastySlot
11-10-2011, 02:27 PM

F. Scott Fitzgerald

I'm wondering at what point, we as a society stop putting these folks on a petestal. Humans just don't deserve it. While people are certainly capable of great things, we are flawed creatures and I do not believe in 'heroes'.

I admired him for his loyalty....to his job, his employer and to his teams. I admired him for contributions to a game I enjoy and to a university not just on the playing field.....but with academics.

I thought he did things the right way............I guess I was wrong about the person.

I didn't put him above my parents or grandparents.....but I thought he was a quality person.

hollywood
11-10-2011, 03:25 PM

F. Scott Fitzgerald

I agree... the masses are influenced by people who are put on worldly petestals. Whether they admit to it or not.

To address your sig...

"What's this war in the heart of nature? Why does nature vie with itself? The land contend with the sea? Is there an avenging power in nature? Not one power but two?"
"Who are you who live in all these many forms? You're death that captures all. You too are the source of all that's gonna be born. You're glory, mercy, peace, truth. You give calm a spirit, understanding, courage, the contented heart."
-Quotes from Thin Red Line

Daddy D 11
11-10-2011, 06:13 PM
expect the DA to release some more MAJOR allegations in the coming days, possibly even tomorrow

IT'S GOING TO BE VERY BAD, DEF GOING TO SHOCK THE PUBLIC

NECKS_17
11-10-2011, 06:51 PM
expect the DA to release some more MAJOR allegations in the coming days, possibly even tomorrow

IT'S GOING TO BE VERY BAD, DEF GOING TO SHOCK THE PUBLIC
What kind of allegations are we talking about here?

Saggy Aggie
11-10-2011, 06:53 PM
and why is this thread titled paterno?

These allegations coming against him? not sandusky?

Ranger Mom
11-10-2011, 07:20 PM
This??

http://www.nesn.com/2011/11/jerry-sandusky-rumored-to-have-been-pimping-out-young-boys-to-rich-donors-says-mark-madden.html

bobcat1
11-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Disgusting! I hope they put them all in jail and let the prisoners do whatever they want to these sick turds!

turbostud
11-10-2011, 07:38 PM
I think Penn St made a mistake in firing Paterno. All it did was make the victims in the situation look like the bad guys. Now they are associated with bringing Paterno down.

BwdLion73
11-10-2011, 07:49 PM
I think Penn St made a mistake in firing Paterno. All it did was make the victims in the situation look like the bad guys. Now they are associated with bringing Paterno down.

:eek::eek::eek:

wimbo_pro
11-10-2011, 07:57 PM

This is assuming nothing more happened than what we have been told. I got a feeling this was swept under the carpet for years, a deal was cut to save the football program at the expense of prosecuting the perv. The question will be...as it always is...what did you know, and when did you know it. This leads to the REAL question...

HOW MANY BOYS WERE RAPED AFTER THEY LEARNED HE WAS A CHILD RAPIST???? Here inlies the Paterno link.

turbostud
11-10-2011, 08:07 PM
This is assuming nothing more happened than what we have been told. I got a feeling this was swept under the carpet for years, a deal was cut to save the football program at the expense of prosecuting the perv. The question will be...as it always is...what did you know, and when did you know it. This leads to the REAL question...

HOW MANY BOYS WERE RAPED AFTER THEY LEARNED HE WAS A CHILD RAPIST???? Here inlies the Paterno link.

Up to this point, firing Paterno was a self serving move. Penn St. was only looking out for their own self interest.

wimbo_pro
11-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Up to this point, firing Paterno was a self serving move. Penn St. was only looking out for their own self interest.

I hear you, Turbostud. But something is telling me there is far more coming to the surface. There was more of a reason for firing him, I think. I like the guy, been a great role model...but if he in any way was/is part of a cover up...or if he knew there was a cover up as a predator was set free to strike again...there is trouble.

1st and goal
11-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Disgusting! I hope they put them all in jail and let the prisoners do whatever they want to these sick turds!

agreed, and include any more Penn state students who riot on his behalf.

regaleagle
11-11-2011, 12:50 AM
Bottom line is the Board of Trustees that 'cut' the deal to retire Sandusky in '99 are just as culpable, if not moreso, than JoPa. He washed his hands of the affair when he went to the Board with the news in the first place, and let them decide what to do. Now they are firing him as a scapegoat in the public's eye to once again try to smooth over their own indescretions of impropriety in the original cause. But it won't work, and the truth will come out. Those in power that covered up the affair for the sake of the University at the time of the first reporting of the incident are MORE culpable than JoPa, even though he did nothing more than wash his hands of the whole stinking mess. Perhaps in College Park, being such a small town dependent on the mighty Penn State University, Jo Pa felt like everyone else, that Penn State ruled that domain, and they were all helpless to do anything about. Just check on the DA of the county that was 'presumably murdered' after trying to prosecute this case way back when it first happened. More to tune in to, folks. This will get deep and ugly.

BEAST
11-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Just check on the DA of the county that was 'presumably murdered' after trying to prosecute this case way back when it first happened. More to tune in to, folks. This will get deep and ugly.

This is what I have been saying all along. This is where the tragedy happened. The investigators need to solve this part of the equation first. The details are all hidden in this "muder".

BEAST

Old Tiger
11-11-2011, 11:53 AM
I think Penn St made a mistake in firing Paterno. All it did was make the victims in the situation look like the bad guys. Now they are associated with bringing Paterno down.****.

turbostud
11-11-2011, 02:46 PM

Oh. so you agree with Penn St? You dont think they should have looked after the interest of the victims first, instead of the interest of themselves, which is what got them in this position in the first place.

Daddy D 11
11-13-2011, 11:27 PM
I'll just say one thing, to all of you: READ THE GRAND JURY'S FINDINGS IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY.

(Until you do so, it's hard to truly have a grasp of the situation or an intelligent opinion on the matter)

Tx Challenge
11-14-2011, 12:28 AM
Post bro

I'll just say one thing, to all of you: READ THE GRAND JURY'S FINDINGS IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY.

(Until you do so, it's hard to truly have a grasp of the situation or an intelligent opinion on the matter)

Trench Warrior
11-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Regardless of whether JoPa told his higher ups, as soon as anyone(including JoPa) saw Sandusky back on campus or in the facilities there should have been red flags. Someone should have done more. JoPa admitted to seeing back at Penn State facilities after the incident. Why would he not say something to someone. I don't care what the big wigs say, if I see this guy in my facilities, I'm kicking him out myself.

Macarthur
11-14-2011, 10:10 AM

Wow. Really?

Daddy D 11
11-14-2011, 12:28 PM
i think what turbostud was trying to say was that in firing paterno you might have alienated, and/or deterred other victims from coming out due to the social unrest surrounded the incident. It's is 110% UNBELIEVABLE to me that SO many Penn Staters are still completely behind JoePa and are legitmitaley angry with those that speak the truth about what went on.

Supporting that theory that the culture up there is almost unsafe for victims: There are videos before this saturdays game of Penn State fans standing around outside the stadium with signs reading "JoePa had to go", "think of the kids, not football", things like that, etc. and they were being showered with beer, cussed at, slapped, their signs were kicked by other fans and they were physically threatened countless times.

WHAT IN THE HELL IS GOING ON UP THERE THAT PEOPLE ARE THAT FREAKING DELUSIONAL ABOUT WHAT'S GOING ON?! Drives me up the freaking wall, makes me want to be a DA.

So while I completely disagree with turbostud that joe should not have been fired(IMO he should have been arrested with all the others)... i do see his point that the fallout from firing him could make things worse for the victims and/or victims that come out in the future. BUT, it's what Penn State HAD to do. Plain and simple.

buff4ever
11-14-2011, 03:22 PM
I hear you, Turbostud. But something is telling me there is far more coming to the surface. There was more of a reason for firing him, I think. I like the guy, been a great role model...but if he in any way was/is part of a cover up...or if he knew there was a cover up as a predator was set free to strike again...there is trouble.

IF HE KNEW THERE WAS A COVER UP, THEN HE WAS PART OF THE COVER UP. Get where I am coming from here. SICK selfish people.

1st and goal
11-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Pennsylvania fans...

BEAST
11-14-2011, 03:56 PM
I will say this again, we have got to find out what the heck happened to the first DA that was going to prosecute. He is still missing. They found parts of his laptop and that is about all. This is bigger than JoePa or anybody else in the equation.

BEAST

Phil C
11-14-2011, 04:02 PM

Also I think they have wanted a new coach for several years because of his age. This game them an opportunity that they took. And an attorney for the victims said that they didn't intend to get him fired but were after the ones doing the act.

Cam
11-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Just a gut feeling here.....I think Sandusky will make an attempt to take his life very soon.....

Macarthur
11-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Just a gut feeling here.....I think Sandusky will make an attempt to take his life very soon.....

Well, I thought that too, but someone from one of the newspapers up there was on with ESPN radio Friday and said he's been seen around town at the grocery store and a sporting goods store. Doesn't seem to be too torn up about it. :crying:

buff4ever
11-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Well, I thought that too, but someone from one of the newspapers up there was on with ESPN radio Friday and said he's been seen around town at the grocery store and a sporting goods store. Doesn't seem to be too torn up about it. :crying:

Some would see him going around town and to the store as a SUICIDE ATTEMPT IN ITSELF in this sitation.

pirate4state
11-14-2011, 05:06 PM
So, has McQueary quit or been fired or arrested yet?!?!?!

BuckeyeNut
11-14-2011, 05:29 PM
How many kids are there now comming out?

big daddy russ
11-16-2011, 01:50 PM
Completely gutless on the part of the trustees. Does it say something about how messed up we are as a culture that someone (else) always has to be the scapegoat?

Thoughts?

BEAST
11-16-2011, 01:52 PM
Completely gutless on the part of the trustees. Does it say something about how messed up we are as a culture that someone (else) always has to be the scapegoat?

Thoughts?

I completely agree.

BEAST

Daddy D 11
11-16-2011, 01:55 PM
I agree. But someone has to do the firing for right now? They're all gonna go too, it's just gonna take time. DA's office has a good investigation into their involvement going right now too, their day is coming and they know it. A couple of them have already been fired from other positions that they held in private and public places.

Daddy D 11
11-16-2011, 01:57 PM
on this same topic, have yall seen where paterno sold his house to his wife recently for a dollar?? he's been hiding his assets from lawsuits for a while now....he knew this was coming. Started selling off or hiding assets in July.

He's also hired a PR firm to go along with his defense attorney.

StangEm
11-16-2011, 02:03 PM
on this same topic, have yall seen where paterno sold his house to his wife recently for a dollar?? he's been hiding his assets from lawsuits for a while now....he knew this was coming. Started selling off or hiding assets in July.

He's also hired a PR firm to go along with his defense attorney.

I have a hard time believing this. If it's true then that "good ole guy" image that Paterno has had all these years will surely be tarnished. Not to say that his not reporting the incidents he knew about already hasn't done that already but this would surely tear that image that we all have of him down.

I hope this is just a rumor and not legit. For the sake of football coaches everywhere in this country I hope it's false.

regaleagle
11-16-2011, 02:43 PM
I'm certain 80 yr. old Joe did his reporting to the University in a timely manner, and was told by those in power that they would "handle" the situation. He's just the football AD, not the President or a Board Trustee with Penn State University. He did what he felt was proper, and then was told it would be handled. Liars! Liars! Now Paterno is put in the same barrel with these bad apples. What's the lesson here? You know the answer.

coach
11-16-2011, 02:52 PM
i wonder how many trustees already new about sandusky? but also failed to tell the authorities...

Macarthur
11-16-2011, 03:06 PM

Thoughts?

Paterno is culpable. The fact that someone would defend Joe in this is disgusting, IMO.

RPF2666
11-16-2011, 03:32 PM
Sandusky is a scum bag and anyone who helped enable him, kept him 'around' or turned their cheek deserves what they get...

Including but not limited to Joe Pa!

Bullaholic
11-16-2011, 03:33 PM

Thoughts?

Retention of Paterno would have resulted in a firestorm which would have destroyed any remaining credibility for Penn St. for a long time to come, Russ.

Macarthur
11-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Retention of Paterno would have resulted in a firestorm which would have destroyed any remaining credibility for Penn St. for a long time to come, Russ.

Yeah, and their credibility is about as close to negative as you can get. The more that comes out, the worse it is for the entire lot up there.

Macarthur
11-16-2011, 03:38 PM
Sandusky is a scum bag and anyone who helped enable him, kept him 'around' or turned their cheek deserves what they get...

Including but not limited to Joe Pa!

Yep!

Trench Warrior
11-16-2011, 03:52 PM
I have to disagree with the statement that JoPa did all he could. The arguments that he was just the head football coach, and what else could he have done are wrong. This is Joe freakin Paterno we are talking about. He has been there longer than most of the board. This is his program. The second he saw Sandusky back in the facilities after he was told the boad would handle it, he should have started a firestorm. I don't care if they were friends. He might not be in legal trouble, but morally and ethically, he should have gone over their heads as soon as he saw it wasn't taken care of. He has always presented himself with class and dignity, and IMO he should have known better. It's a sad day, and I hope that they come out with information clearing JoPa. He is absolutely an idol for more reasons than just football coaching. I just can't wrap my head around the whole situation.

Trench Warrior
11-16-2011, 03:58 PM
Giving JoPa a free pass because we all think he is a good guy and could never do something like that, is the same reason that Sandusky was able to get away with his sickness for so long. I don't want to be snake bit twice. Again, for the love of everything sacred, I hope that I am wrong and just jumping to conclusions on JoPa.

Farmersfan
11-16-2011, 04:01 PM
From all accounts Joe Pa had more power and more authority in the school than any one individual. Including the President! And I also can't understand anyone defending Joe Pa in any kind of way. Joe Paterno did the very LEAST he could do to protect children from a known predator. I am betting a lot of people at Penn State as well as a lot of people at the local police dept will take a dive on this one. Latest info is that McQueary actually DID report the incident to campus police as well as Joe Paterno and it was dropped at the police level. They are now saying McQueary's dad was also present when Joe Paterno was told in graphic detail what Sandusky was doing to that child in the shower. I say Joe Paterno is a figure head for the entire organization and will (and should) take a huge portion of the venom!

Saggy Aggie
11-16-2011, 04:02 PM

He's also hired a PR firm to go along with his defense attorney. I read that this morning. Sounds like he's removing all assets from his name.

pirate4state
11-16-2011, 04:05 PM
I don't know man. This whole thing stinks!!! Maybe I watch too much television, but there is no way I believe that Paterno didn't know or at the very least suspect something was going on that should not have been. Not with so many "rumors" going around.

Now the McQueary fool is sending "a friend" an e-mail saying he did stop Sandusky that awful night in 2002 AND reported it to the cops. REALLY?!?! C'mon man!

buff4ever
11-16-2011, 04:19 PM
Paterno is culpable. The fact that someone would defend Joe in this is disgusting, IMO.

Completely agree. It doesn't matter what we all thought of JoPa, that has to change when something like this happens. Well respected people don't get to make bad decisions (disgusting in this situation) and still hide behind the original respected image just because.

Daddy D 11
11-16-2011, 04:29 PM
I'm certain 80 yr. old Joe did his reporting to the University in a timely manner, and was told by those in power that they would "handle" the situation. He's just the football AD, not the President or a Board Trustee with Penn State University. He did what he felt was proper, and then was told it would be handled. Liars! Liars! Now Paterno is put in the same barrel with these bad apples. What's the lesson here? You know the answer.

^^^someone doesn't know what they're talking about

Daddy D 11
11-16-2011, 04:30 PM
I have a hard time believing this. If it's true then that "good ole guy" image that Paterno has had all these years will surely be tarnished. Not to say that his not reporting the incidents he knew about already hasn't done that already but this would surely tear that image that we all have of him down.

I hope this is just a rumor and not legit. For the sake of football coaches everywhere in this country I hope it's false.

its 110% true. American Bar Association even published material on it this morning. It's been in the news for a couple days now.

pirate4state
11-16-2011, 04:50 PM
its 110% true. American Bar Association even published material on it this morning. It's been in the news for a couple days now. but the true reasons of WHY he did it will never be known. we can all speculate and assume it was to hide/protect his assets. the estate planning explanation is a valid one, but as cyncial as we all are no one is gonna buy it. LOL

Macarthur
11-16-2011, 04:52 PM
but the true reasons of WHY he did it will never be known. we can all speculate and assume it was to hide/protect his assets. the estate planning explanation is a valid one, but as cyncial as we all are no one is gonna buy it. LOL

I did not hear it first hand, but I did read on another site that someone said Cowherd had spoken to two estate lawyers and both said the move would not have any effect on his estate taxes. That makes the more all the more suspicious.

WildTexan972
11-16-2011, 04:57 PM

he has known about these Sandusky stories since the 90s....that hardly means he has a good image with kids, so firing him was EXACTLY the right move.....he should have blocked Sandusky's access to the program and facilities if he wanted to keep his image clean and that he made NO effort to do....

Daddy D 11
I did not hear it first hand, but I did read on another site that someone said Cowherd had spoken to two estate lawyers and both said the move would not have any effect on his estate taxes. That makes the more all the more suspicious.

Yep, that is true. Won't effect taxes.

Also, if y'all don't know, the governor and the judge that was in charge of sanduskys bail are all major intertwined in this crap. The more and more I research things the worse they get.

I'm sure p4s has read my many rants on twitter lol hope some of it has been helpful?

pirate4state
I did not hear it first hand, but I did read on another site that someone said Cowherd had spoken to two estate lawyers and both said the move would not have any effect on his estate taxes. That makes the more all the more suspicious. *shrug* If it is that easy to disprove why would his people even use it as the explanation? When you know anything out of his camp will be dissected.

pirate4state
11-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Yep, that is true. Won't effect taxes.

Also, if y'all don't know, the governor and the judge that was in charge of sanduskys bail are all major intertwined in this crap. The more and more I research things the worse they get.

I'm sure p4s has read my many rants on twitter lol hope some of it has been helpful?

I picked up on tweets from SportsbyBrooks...he is really good. I think I picked him from you. I will say I just picked up bits & snippets of the "explanation" for the transfer. I'd have to research it and/or ask my boss.

Bullaholic
11-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Don't know what Paterno did, and if/when he did it. That will all come to light in days ahead. However, if these actions were taken recently, I can see where the man would try to protect his estate for his family's sake in case he does incur civil or criminal charges that are sustained. Paterno should bear the punishment for any wrongdoing---not his family.

Macarthur
11-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Don't know what Paterno did, and if/when he did it. That will all come to light in days ahead.

Well, based on the grand jury report, much of it already has and it's not pretty.

However, if these actions were taken recently, I can see where the man would try to protect his estate for his family's sake in case he does incur civil or criminal charges that are sustained. Paterno should bear the punishment for any wrongdoing---not his family.

I find this a weird statement. Why is his family more entitled to his money than defendents, assuming civil damages are awarded?

sinton66
11-16-2011, 05:11 PM
I have to disagree with the statement that JoPa did all he could. The arguments that he was just the head football coach, and what else could he have done are wrong. This is Joe freakin Paterno we are talking about. He has been there longer than most of the board. This is his program. The second he saw Sandusky back in the facilities after he was told the boad would handle it, he should have started a firestorm. I don't care if they were friends. He might not be in legal trouble, but morally and ethically, he should have gone over their heads as soon as he saw it wasn't taken care of. He has always presented himself with class and dignity, and IMO he should have known better. It's a sad day, and I hope that they come out with information clearing JoPa. He is absolutely an idol for more reasons than just football coaching. I just can't wrap my head around the whole situation.

Sure, you'd do that if it were YOUR boss. You don't know, he may have been told to shut up and stay out of it if he wanted to keep his job. The whole story isn't out yet, so I'll reserve judgement until we know more. I'm NOT giving him a pass, just want the rest of the story first.

Bullaholic
11-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Well, based on the grand jury report, much of it already has and it's not pretty.

I find this a weird statement. Why is his family more entitled to his money than defendents, assuming civil damages are awarded?

Destroying one family financially will heal another's wounds? Sending a wrongdoer to jail is one thing---destroying his family financially is another.

Daddy D 11
11-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Yes we should definitely let paterno protect his money from the kids that were raped and deserve it. Makes total sense. I mean he won a whole lot of footballs games and was there for so long and did "so much good", and "reported it to higher ups"...let's continue to let all those things over shadow the continuous raping of little boys that happened for years under his nose.

Macarthur
11-16-2011, 05:17 PM
Destroying one family financially will heal another's wounds? Sending a wrongdoer to jail is one thing---destroying his family financially is another.

Destroying his family? Um, it appears the PSU infrastructure has already taken pretty good care of his family. His 'family' is grown and can take care of themselves. You may disagree with civil defendents getting financial settlements, but that's how the system is set up.

nobogey72
11-16-2011, 05:20 PM
AGAIN, If the report had come to Paterno that it was HIS 10 yr old grandson in the shower with Sandusky, do you think he would have merely reported it to a school official? The fact is, in Texas, the laws are written such that Paterno, the graduate asst, the 2 officials could all be CRIMINALLY liable, not just morally. In Texas, if you know or suspect child abuse and you don't report it to law enforcement or to CPS, you are subject to criminal charges.

Bullaholic
11-16-2011, 05:20 PM
Yes we should definitely let paterno protect his money from the kids that were raped and deserve it. Makes total sense. I mean he won a whole lot of footballs games and was there for so long and did "so much good", and "reported it to higher ups"...let's continue to let all those things over shadow the continuous raping of little boys that happened for years under his nose.

You're letting your rage read a lot more of your feeling than mine into what I posted, daddy....You know full well that is not what I meant.

Txbroadcaster
11-16-2011, 05:22 PM
All this wait to see wait and see before deciding if Paterno must accept some blame is useless...Nothing will come out now that will absolve Paterno because if something was there he would be on top of every mountain to proclaim his innocence with proof...he messed up, he let a sexual deviant get away with stuff and he stood by and did the least he had to to clear himself if it ever came out.

It will be very hard for victims to sue Joe because by letter of law he did just enough

Daddy D 11
11-16-2011, 05:29 PM
You're letting your rage read a lot more of your feeling than mine into what I posted, daddy....You know full well that is not what I meant.

I know man, just lots of emotion rapped up in this. The naivety of so many (and im not saying you) others to the fact that paterno and everyone else involved did so many wrong things really makes my blood boil.

Bullaholic
11-16-2011, 05:41 PM
I know man, just lots of emotion rapped up in this. The naivety of so many (and im not saying you) others to the fact that paterno and everyone else involved did so many wrong things really makes my blood boil.

Believe me, daddy...I am more of a hardliner on child molesters than most. I just hope that our justice system does a good job on this one and gets it right for everyone involved and punishes them accordingly without innocent people being casualties of the process.

Bullaholic
11-16-2011, 05:58 PM
Sure, you'd do that if it were YOUR boss. You don't know, he may have been told to shut up and stay out of it if he wanted to keep his job. The whole story isn't out yet, so I'll reserve judgement until we know more. I'm NOT giving him a pass, just want the rest of the story first.

I'm with you, 66'. I want the guilty to receive full punishment, but I would like to hear all the facts, and hopefully the truth, first.

Purple Rain
11-16-2011, 06:15 PM
All this wait to see wait and see before deciding if Paterno must accept some blame is useless...Nothing will come out now that will absolve Paterno because if something was there he would be on top of every mountain to proclaim his innocence with proof...he messed up, he let a sexual deviant get away with stuff and he stood by and did the least he had to to clear himself if it ever came out.

It will be very hard for victims to sue Joe because by letter of law he did just enough

Criminally Joe will likely not be prosecuted. But civilly it is not difficult for victims to file a lawsuit.

Txbroadcaster
11-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Criminally Joe will likely not be prosecuted. But civilly it is not difficult for victims to file a lawsuit.

it will be hard for them to win unless more stuff comes out.he followed PA law to the letter and that is all he had to do it will be very hard to get a win for morally not doing more

Purple Rain
11-16-2011, 06:52 PM
it will be hard for them to win unless more stuff comes out.he followed PA law to the letter and that is all he had to do it will be very hard to get a win for morally not doing more

That's just it TXB, they don't have to win. Easy to find a lawyer to take this high-profile case on a contingency basis and hope for a pre-trial settlement. Joe Paterno and Penn State would NOT want this case to guy to a jury. It if goes to trial, all the plaintiff(s) needs is a sympathetic jury willing to find Paterno and/or Penn State negligent. And I think most reasonable and prudent people will agree there was negligence (although a change of venue might be needed to find such people).

Trench Warrior
11-16-2011, 07:57 PM

Sorry 66, this wasn't at all a jab at you. I for one want the facts to come out, and like I said earlier, I really hope they show JoPa didn't do anything. I would hope, that even if he was told to keep his mouth shut or lose his job, that he would have told them to stick where the sun don't shine. He has always been held up as a man with integrity and great moral values, and that is what I would have expected him to do.

WildTexan972
11-16-2011, 08:10 PM
in Texas 1/2 of all assets belong to both parties of a marriage so no $1 home sale would protect a guy from a settlement price....and to minimize the issue just because some old guy that let it keep happening kept coaching a declining football program for a decade too long is kinda sick.....

Daddy D 11
11-16-2011, 10:40 PM
yeah well this didn't happen in texas, so thats about a useful as a screen door on a submarine.

Farmersfan
11-17-2011, 09:08 AM
I served on a jury for a civil trial that was looking to award a bunch of financial damages to a man who had bought a car at auction that was misrepresented by the seller. Once we adjourned to the deliberation room we were given a questionaire by the judge that didn't allow us to say yes or no to award money or even to set a dollar amount. We had no ability to do anything except answer the judges questions with a Yes or a No! Everyone of the jurors felt the defendant was negligent to some extent according to the letter of the law but to a man we didn't think the plaintiff should get money because he refused several avenues available to him to eliminate his losses or even greatly reduce them. (essentually he created his losses by his own greed). He was asking for 4 years worth of legal fees plus his own personal losses that he estimated at over 150K on a case about a 20K car that he bought at auction. It was completely ridiculous and we all agreed he should not get a penny but the judge fixed it so that we could do nothing except find the defendant negligent or not. Needless to say this caused a problem and we spent 4 days in deliberation because of a few "MORAL" arse-holes who said they would never put their name on a ballot saying "not negligent" just to prevent monetary damages from being given when in truth the defendant was somewhat negligent! To make a long story short, The courts in this country are a big joke. Jurys are prevented form hearing all the evidence because of Lawyer manipulation and loopholes in the law. I also can't understand why 70 people are brought in so they can hand pick 12 jurors. The law says a jury by your peers! To me that means the first 12 people drawn out of a hat regardless of who that might be or what prejudices they might have! There were 360 people brought in on that first day to fill what turned out to be 2 trials (24 jurors). A perfect case of Government waste! OK, I'm done ranting...................... carry on!

big daddy russ
11-17-2011, 10:26 AM

Guilty until proven innocent, right?

We are the nation of blame after all. We don't even know the whole story, ready to burn them at the stake. Awesome.

buff4ever
11-17-2011, 10:51 AM

We are the nation of blame after all. We don't even know the whole story, ready to burn them at the stake. Awesome.

I know what you are saying, and I would generally agree with you. HOWEVER, when it comes to child rape and sexual assault of a child; sorry to say that stuff gets thrown out if there is as much going on as there is in this case. I can confidentally say that what comes out of this will not be total innocense of all parties involved. The only party acting innocent right now is sandusky and lawyer. That is sick, everyone else is trying to cover their ass and not prove their innocense.

Some people are just going to have to start to face that a man we have all respected for a LONG time has fell short of meeting our expectations in a very sensitive and important instance. I want to know exactly how this all went down as much as the next guy, even though that may not ever quite completely come out. But, I don't think it is going to clear anyones name, maybe only disturb us more.

nobogey72
11-17-2011, 11:41 AM
When Paterno said in one of the interviews that "In hindsight, I wish I had done more", he pretty much admitted that he did the minimum required. That's all I need to know. Any child that was abused after that was on his watch, and he shares in the responsibility. In Texas that statement would have made him CRIMINALLY liable.

big daddy russ
11-17-2011, 12:13 PM
I get what both of you are saying. But I want to know what Paterno meant when he said that. I want to know if he meant that he didn't take it far enough by the state's standards, or if he's beating himself up after the fact.

By the way, there aren't supposed to be qualifiers on "innocent until proven guilty." The worst cases are the ones we're supposed to be the most careful with.

falconfanatic
11-17-2011, 12:19 PM
When Paterno said in one of the interviews that "In hindsight, I wish I had done more", he pretty much admitted that he did the minimum required. That's all I need to know. Any child that was abused after that was on his watch, and he shares in the responsibility. In Texas that statement would have made him CRIMINALLY liable.

No it wouldn't. He is not criminally liable no matter where it happened. He was brought an allegation by a grad assistant about one of his long time defensive coordinators a man that was no longer a coach and was not under paterno. He was a professor at the university at the time. So paterno takes the allegation to the AD and a vice president. Paterno didnt try to cover it up he did exactly what he was supposed to do take it to his superiors. Now when he saw nothing had been done that is when he should've contacted the police. Paterno deserves the least amount of blame in this. he didn't rape the kids and he didnt cover it up.

Phil C
11-17-2011, 12:59 PM

The graduate assistance says he told the police. If true it makes a difference in Coach Paterno's case if they were contacted. Maybe PSU officials jumped the gun in firing him.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/11/15/penn-state-grad-assistant-mcqueary-i-handled-this-right-way-went-to-the-police/

BEAST
11-17-2011, 01:02 PM
I dont understand why no body is wondering if the Admins or even the DA's office might have been a little scared at going public. We still dont know what happened to the original DA that looked into the case. He hasnt ever been found.

BEAST

nobogey72
11-17-2011, 01:31 PM
No it wouldn't. He is not criminally liable no matter where it happened. He was brought an allegation by a grad assistant about one of his long time defensive coordinators a man that was no longer a coach and was not under paterno. He was a professor at the university at the time. So paterno takes the allegation to the AD and a vice president. Paterno didnt try to cover it up he did exactly what he was supposed to do take it to his superiors. Now when he saw nothing had been done that is when he should've contacted the police. Paterno deserves the least amount of blame in this. he didn't rape the kids and he didnt cover it up.

Actually you are wrong. Read your Texas Family Law. If you know or even suspect of child abuse and don't report it to either CPS or law enforcement you can be guilty of not reporting which is a Class B misdemeanor. That is the law in Texas. Reporting it to "his superiors" is not good enough in Texas. Whether or not he would have been charged, who knows, but that is the law.

BullsFan
11-17-2011, 01:54 PM
I wonder how many children have been abused since Paterno became aware of it and could have stopped it. He owes those kids something, and if he doesn't face criminal charges then I hope they take him in civil court for a bundle. I hope Sandusky does time and loses everything he's got.

RPF2666
11-17-2011, 02:09 PM
The graduate assistance says he told the police. If true it makes a difference in Coach Paterno's case if they were contacted. Maybe PSU officials jumped the gun in firing him.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/11/15/penn-state-grad-assistant-mcqueary-i-handled-this-right-way-went-to-the-police/

They checked with College Station PD and no reports were filed with them by McQueary. University Police couldn't find anything either, but are still looking.

SintonPirateFan
11-17-2011, 02:11 PM
I wonder how many children have been abused since Paterno became aware of it and could have stopped it. He owes those kids something, and if he doesn't face criminal charges then I hope they take him in civil court for a bundle. I hope Sandusky does time and loses everything he's got.

that is EXACTLY right. McQueary, Paterno, the AD, the President and anyone else who knew about this monster should all be in prison. and those victims should be able to sue the school, the individuals, and the 2nd Mile for everything their worth. it'll take at least that much in counseling for the victims....and even then it won't be enough.

Txbroadcaster
11-17-2011, 02:11 PM
They checked with College Station PD and no reports were filed with them by McQueary. University Police couldn't find anything either, but are still looking.

Would not shock me if he did report it and the police swept it under the rug

RPF2666
11-17-2011, 02:14 PM

Me neither... Unfortunately for McQueary, the Grand Jury Report does not mention anything about him going to the police,
which means he is changing his story. Perjury anyone?

Phil C
11-17-2011, 03:36 PM
Me neither... Unfortunately for McQueary, the Grand Jury Report does not mention anything about him going to the police,

Lie detector test. Quickly.

falconfanatic
11-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Actually you are wrong. Read your Texas Family Law. If you know or even suspect of child abuse and don't report it to either CPS or law enforcement you can be guilty of not reporting which is a Class B misdemeanor. That is the law in Texas. Reporting it to "his superiors" is not good enough in Texas. Whether or not he would have been charged, who knows, but that is the law.

Oh really

This is a memo that was received today from TSUS Chancellor Brian McCall in light of the Penn State scandal

MEMORANDUM TO: Texas State University System Regents and Presidents System and Campus Administrators, Faculty, Staff, and Students FROM: Brian McCall, Ph.D. Chancellor Friday, November 11, 2011 12:01 PM

MEMORANDUM TO: Texas State University System Regents and Presidents System and Campus Administrators, Faculty, Staff, and Students FROM: Brian McCall, Ph.D. Chancellor DATE: November 11, 2011 Revelations coming to light at Penn State University this week have shocked and saddened us all but also made us keenly aware that we must be our brother’s and sister’s keepers—that we have ethical responsibilities that transcend law and moral obligations far more important than personal loyalties. Most of us in higher education interact primarily with young adults and may forget that children also are sometimes on our campuses for a variety of reasons: to participate in summer camps, attend day care, theatrical, athletic, and other events, and, at one campus, to finish high school and start college. Our Obligations under Texas Law The Texas legislature has wisely recognized the obligation each and every one of us has to safeguard those who are vulnerable and unable to protect themselves. The law requires any person who believes that a child (or person 65 years or older, or an adult with disabilities) is being abused, neglected, or exploited to report the circumstances to the state Department of Family and Protective Services. To put it another way, every single one of us is required by law to report child (and other) abuse. Abuse is broadly defined to include: -- The infliction of physical, mental, emotional, and sexual injury; -- Causing or permitting the child to be in a situation to suffer such injury; -- Encouraging the child to engage in sexual conduct; and, -- Failing to make a reasonable effort to prevent physical or sexual injury. A person making a report is immune from civil or criminal liability provided he or she makes the report in good faith. In contrast, any person suspecting abuse and not reporting it can be held liable for a misdemeanor or state jail felony. Time frames for investigating reports are based on severity of allegations. Reporting suspected child abuse makes it possible for a family to get help. The name of the person making the report is kept confidential. Report the Abuse Immediately -- If the situation is an emergency, call 911, University Police Department, or your local law enforcement agency. -- Notify your supervisor (if he or she is not the suspected offender) and at least one other college or university official within the chain of command. -- Notify anyone else identified as responsible by the president. A Few Facts to Bear in Mind It is well to remember that perpetrators of child sexual abuse come from different age groups, genders, races and socio-economic backgrounds. One common denominator is that most victims know and trust their abusers (Advocates for Youth, 1995). According to the National Center for Victims of Crime, child sexual abuse is reported almost 90,000 times a year but remains greatly under-reported because victims do not want to say what happened (American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 2004); 67% of all victims of sexual assault reported to law enforcement agencies were under the age of 18, and 34% were under twelve (Bureau of Justice Statistics, 2000). A Call to Vigilance I am calling upon each and every one of you to discuss these matters openly and often on your respective campuses; to make people aware of their legal obligations; to provide meaningful and effective mechanisms for victims and witnesses of child (and other) abuse to report their concerns; to use all available media to educate and inform the college and university community; and to do all within your power to create a “culture of intolerance of abuse.” Please let me know if there is anything I or anyone in the System Administrative Office can do to assist you.

Notice it only says to contact the police if it is an emergency.

Txbroadcaster
11-17-2011, 03:41 PM

The Grand Jury Report is a summary we dont know his complete testimony

big daddy russ
11-17-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm as disappointed by everyone's response as I am by the actions of the trustees. We're officially National Enquirer nation. Way to put the cart in front of the horse.

big daddy russ
11-17-2011, 03:46 PM

This.

Anyone remember this?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/lacrosse/2006-03-28-duke-team-suspension_x.htm

Tons of armchair experts wound up looking like the fools they were after all the facts came out. We should definitely wait for the chips to fall before scapegoating everyone in sight.

Txbroadcaster
11-17-2011, 03:46 PM
I'm as disappointed by everyone's response as I am by the actions of the trustees. We're officially National Enquirer nation. Way to put the cart in front of the horse.

What do you mean?

Txbroadcaster
11-17-2011, 03:48 PM
This.

Anyone remember this?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/lacrosse/2006-03-28-duke-team-suspension_x.htm

Tons of armchair experts when the facts were coming out. We should definitely wait for the chips to fall.

Thats just it BDR for the most part the chips have fallen on how Paterno handled it..if anything new comes out will be bad, not good...If he had some ace that would get him out of this scandal he would have already played it

big daddy russ
11-17-2011, 03:57 PM
What do you mean?

We've officially become a nation/culture of rumor and innuendo. Nobody shows any restraint or any value for wisdom anymore. We act like we know all the facts and want to blame any and everybody. From what I understand, JoePa hasn't been indicted for anything, but lost his job anyways. Why can't we be patient enough to wait for the truth to come out?

ccmom
11-17-2011, 03:58 PM
Oh really

This is a memo that was received today from TSUS Chancellor Brian McCall in light of the Penn State scandal

MEMORANDUM TO: Texas State University System Regents and Presidents System and Campus Administrators, Faculty, Staff, and Students FROM: Brian McCall, Ph.D. Chancellor Friday, November 11, 2011 12:01 PM

MEMORANDUM TO: Texas State University System Regents and Presidents System and Campus Administrators, Faculty, Staff, and Students FROM: Brian McCall, Ph.D. Chancellor DATE: November 11, 2011 Revelations coming to light at Penn State University this week have shocked and saddened us all but also made us keenly aware that we must be our brother’s and sister’s keepers—that we have ethical responsibilities that transcend law and moral obligations far more important than personal loyalties. Most of us in higher education interact primarily with young adults and may forget that children also are sometimes on our campuses for a variety of reasons: to participate in summer camps, attend day care, theatrical, athletic, and other events, and, at one campus, to finish high school and start college. Our Obligations under Texas Law The Texas legislature has wisely recognized the obligation each and every one of us has to safeguard those who are vulnerable and unable to protect themselves. The law requires any person who believes that a child (or person 65 years or older, or an adult with disabilities) is being abused, neglected, or exploited to report the circumstances to the state Department of Family and Protective Services. To put it another way, every single one of us is required by law to report child (and other) abuse. Abuse is broadly defined to include: -- The infliction of physical, mental, emotional, and sexual injury; -- Causing or permitting the child to be in a situation to suffer such injury; -- Encouraging the child to engage in sexual conduct; and, -- Failing to make a reasonable effort to prevent physical or sexual injury. A person making a report is immune from civil or criminal liability provided he or she makes the report in good faith. In contrast, any person suspecting abuse and not reporting it can be held liable for a misdemeanor or state jail felony. Time frames for investigating reports are based on severity of allegations. Reporting suspected child abuse makes it possible for a family to get help. The name of the person making the report is kept confidential. Report the Abuse Immediately -- If the situation is an emergency, call 911, University Police Department, or your local law enforcement agency. -- Notify your supervisor (if he or she is not the suspected offender) and at least one other college or university official within the chain of command. -- Notify anyone else identified as responsible by the president. A Few Facts to Bear in Mind It is well to remember that perpetrators of child sexual abuse come from different age groups, genders, races and socio-economic backgrounds. One common denominator is that most victims know and trust their abusers (Advocates for Youth, 1995). According to the National Center for Victims of Crime, child sexual abuse is reported almost 90,000 times a year but remains greatly under-reported because victims do not want to say what happened (American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 2004); 67% of all victims of sexual assault reported to law enforcement agencies were under the age of 18, and 34% were under twelve (Bureau of Justice Statistics, 2000). A Call to Vigilance I am calling upon each and every one of you to discuss these matters openly and often on your respective campuses; to make people aware of their legal obligations; to provide meaningful and effective mechanisms for victims and witnesses of child (and other) abuse to report their concerns; to use all available media to educate and inform the college and university community; and to do all within your power to create a “culture of intolerance of abuse.” Please let me know if there is anything I or anyone in the System Administrative Office can do to assist you.

Notice it only says to contact the police if it is an emergency.

I believe nobogey's post said "CPS or law enforcement"....which is essentially what your memo says. You proved him right.

RPF2666
11-17-2011, 04:04 PM

I find it impossible to believe that IF McQueary told the Grand Jury he informed the police (any police), it wouldn't be in the 'summary'!

big daddy russ
11-17-2011, 04:08 PM
Thats just it BDR for the most part the chips have fallen on how Paterno handled it..if anything new comes out will be bad, not good...If he had some ace that would get him out of this scandal he would have already played it
That's not the way it works at all in the real world. You get involved in something like this, consult with your legal counsel (assuming they're competent), and they tell you to shut your mouth.

Nothing good comes out of talking from here on out. The guy's guilty in the court of public opinion. No reason to fan the flame. We saw that in the Duke Lacrosse case, the Cam Newton allegations, all kinds of cases where it turns out these guys were telling the truth.

This is the way it works in the real world. If they deny anything or tell us their side of the story, we call them a liar. No restraint, just a bulldog reaction. This thread has more than proven that. Why can't we wait to hang JoePa? (Remember, I'm talking about Paterno, not Sandusky.)

Which goes back to my earlier post wondering why JoePa said he wishes he had done more. What if he had done everything legally required of him but after finding out that the allegations were true was talking about something else? We don't know what's going on, so why are we acting like we do?

Farmersfan
11-17-2011, 04:10 PM

Somehow I'm not surprised by this!!

Txbroadcaster
11-17-2011, 04:14 PM
We've officially become a nation/culture of rumor and innuendo. Nobody shows any restraint or any value for wisdom anymore. We act like we know all the facts and want to blame any and everybody. From what I understand, JoePa hasn't been indicted for anything, but lost his job anyways. Why can't we be patient enough to wait for the truth to come out?

We have not become that..we have always been that..only differenc is the net allows us global sharing so we see it more..

falconfanatic
11-17-2011, 04:17 PM
I believe nobogey's post said "CPS or law enforcement"....which is essentially what your memo says. You proved him right.

Actually no the memo only says to contact police if it is an emergency. Meaning the act is happening right now. When Paterno found out it was no longer an emergency. According to this memo Paterno did exactly what he was supposed to.

Txbroadcaster
11-17-2011, 04:17 PM
That's not the way it works at all in the real world. You get involved in something like this, consult with your legal counsel (assuming they're competent), and they tell you to shut your mouth.

Nothing good comes out of talking from here on out. The guy's guilty in the court of public opinion. No reason to fan the flame. We saw that in the Duke Lacrosse case, the Cam Newton allegations, all kinds of cases where it turns out these guys were telling the truth.

This is the way it works in the real world. If they deny anything or tell us their side of the story, we call them a liar. No restraint, just a bulldog reaction. This thread has more than proven that. Why can't we wait to hang JoePa? (Remember, I'm talking about Paterno, not Sandusky.)

Which goes back to my earlier post wondering why JoePa said he wishes he had done more. What if he had done everything legally required of him but after finding out that the allegations were true was talking about something else? We don't know what's going on, so why are we acting like we do?

If Joe Pa had anything that would show he did everything and more he would have shown it..HE WAS FIRED...Why would he not the moment he was fired go the press with his proof? There is nothing for hiim to gain by being quiet and in fact it is hurting him. Why not the moment he was fired he files wrongful termination?

ccmom
11-17-2011, 04:20 PM
Actually no the memo only says to contact police if it is an emergency. Meaning the act is happening right now. When Paterno found out it was no longer an emergency. According to this memo Paterno did exactly what he was supposed to.

You are turning this all around. Nobogey said that in TEXAS, the law requires that child abuse or suspected child abuse be reported to CPS or law enforcement...which is what your memo says.

It didn't happen in Texas, but if it had, his legal obligations would have been different. That was his point.

Anyway....

pirate4state
11-17-2011, 04:39 PM

Exactly right. Today an accusation is enough to ruin your career/life. No one waits for the facts. Are you kidding me? I understand what you are saying perfectly. I understand a lot of the rage and disbelief we are all feeling.

It is almost comical that as a society we are both eager to pin worship on someone (Joe Paterno) and eager to see them fall from grace.

Are you not entertained?

Txbroadcaster
11-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Exactly right. Today an accusation is enough to ruin your career/life. No one waits for the facts. Are you kidding me? I understand what you are saying perfectly. I understand a lot of the rage and disbelief we are all feeling.

It is almost comical that as a society we are both eager to pin worship on someone (Joe Paterno) and eager to see them fall from grace.

Are you not entertained?

i agree...we build people up just to tear them down

Bullaholic
11-17-2011, 04:50 PM

Are you not entertained?

Good post, P4S :clap:---I really like the "Gladiator" quote...

BullsFan
11-17-2011, 07:23 PM
I'm not entertained. I'm sickened and disgusted. I work every day with children the same age as those abused at Penn State, and I can't believe anyone would try and defend him. The facts as admitted even by him are this: he knew abuse happened. He reported it to superiors. The abuse continued. Paterno did nothing else.

That's all I need to know.

OldBison75
11-17-2011, 07:52 PM
I will only say that I have lost my career once over false accusations and know personally how devastating that can be and how fast people jump to conclusions without knowing the facts. I have read both sides and am disgusted that more was not done by not only Paterno, but so many others. I also would like to point out that the University Police now indicate that there is a over 100 page report that was made AFTER Sandusky had retired that was presented to the prosecutors and they chose not to prosecute. I believe this was like ten years ago if I read the article correctly. I have no problem with the decisions that have been made to relieve several people of positions at PU because they continued to let this predator use campus facilities and therefore condoned his behavior to some degree. But, if the legal system failed to find sufficient evidence to prosecute in the case described by University Police, then the University may have had some, even unjustified, reasons to not ban him altogether.

LH Panther Mom
11-17-2011, 08:08 PM
I have a feeling that the tip of the iceberg in the alleged cover up hasn't even begun to surface.

Bullaholic
11-17-2011, 08:08 PM
I'm not entertained. I'm sickened and disgusted. I work every day with children the same age as those abused at Penn State, and I can't believe anyone would try and defend him. The facts as admitted even by him are this: he knew abuse happened. He reported it to superiors. The abuse continued. Paterno did nothing else.

That's all I need to know.

Let me clarify my post to P4S. Bullsfan. I was agreeing with her about what we have become in society---much like the mob and the Gladiators of Rome with regard to our insatiable thirst for any story in the media, no matter how salacious or who it concerns, or what effect it has. That post did not reflect my feelings about the Penn State situation. I believe where there is smoke---there is fire, and I will reserve final judgment on Joe Paterno, not Sandusky, until all the facts have been established. There are no penalties too severe for child molesters.

Macarthur
11-18-2011, 12:55 PM

Have you read the grand jury report?

StangEm
11-18-2011, 01:29 PM
Now ESPN is reporting that an assistant basketball coach at Syracuse is being accused of molesting young boys.

coach
11-18-2011, 03:07 PM

college station? what were they doing in aggie land?

BullsFan
11-18-2011, 11:25 PM
Let me clarify my post to P4S. Bullsfan. I was agreeing with her about what we have become in society---much like the mob and the Gladiators of Rome with regard to our insatiable thirst for any story in the media, no matter how salacious or who it concerns, or what effect it has. That post did not reflect my feelings about the Penn State situation. I believe where there is smoke---there is fire, and I will reserve final judgment on Joe Paterno, not Sandusky, until all the facts have been established. There are no penalties too severe for child molesters.

Oh, I know what you meant, Bullaholic. I wasn't responding to you, but for the record there is a pretty sizable contingent of people that don't have a thirst for this story. I personally wish it would go away. I wish I didn't have to hear about it. I wish it never happened. But I also see the necessity for all of it to come out in the open. Sweeping it under the rug certainly didn't do anyone concerned any good. Historically too many big institutions have gotten away for months and years and decades and more with stuff like that precisely because we let them. I'm glad we're moving past that now.

But you, sir, are a good man with a good heart, and I know you weren't condoning anything or justifying anyone, especially not Sandusky.

Saggy Aggie
11-19-2011, 03:11 PM
dont know if its been posted, but he was diagnosed with a treatable form of lung cancer apparently.

Txbroadcaster
11-22-2011, 01:18 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bigten/story/2011-11-22/11-22-11-Paterno-Discipline/51346682/1?csp=hf

BEAST
11-22-2011, 01:33 PM
That is a very telling story. However, do you think it is really any different at any of the other big time D1 schools? Who do you think holds the trump card at UT? Dont you figure Bowden could crap in the middle of the basketball gym at FSU and nobody would say anything?

BEAST

shamu85
11-22-2011, 02:02 PM
That is a very telling story. However, do you think it is really any different at any of the other big time D1 schools? Who do you think holds the trump card at UT? Dont you figure Bowden could crap in the middle of the basketball gym at FSU and nobody would say anything?

BEAST

So, you think every big time college program with an iconic coach would turn their heads to child molestation? If that is the case, I would hate to see the world through your eyes as it would seem awfully dreary to think that there are so many adults unwilling to do what's right to protect children.

YOU DESERVE WHAT YOU TOLERATE

BEAST
11-22-2011, 02:07 PM
So, you think every big time college program with an iconic coach would turn their heads to child molestation? If that is the case, I would hate to see the world through your eyes as it would seem awfully dreary to think that there are so many adults unwilling to do what's right to protect children.

Did I say that? NO I DIDNT!! I said the coaches at those type schools have the same power Paterno had. My gosh, read what is said, not what you interpret.

BEAST

Farmersfan
11-22-2011, 02:23 PM

What world do you live in? In the real world there are millions and millions of people who would sell there own mothers if the price was right. As Lord Acton said "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men". I completely agree with this and if you don't believe it then you haven't been paying attention................ Even men who do the right thing most of the time do it for the wrong reasons!