PDA

View Full Version : Wimberleys, Giddings, Gilmers, Cueros, Sintons of the world

YTBulldogs
11-09-2011, 06:09 PM
All I want is my son and nephew to experience a playoff game at Yoakum. Close after their junior year this year, but no go. His pop's never played in one, and don't think I don't think about that all the time this time of year.

I travel many miles and see you elite schools play in your many, many playoff games yearly. Attend the state games, and love that community pride you elite towns show. I sometimes feel I'm a Gobbler, in a blue "Y" cap rooting them on in their playoff games. You guys don't know how lucky you are to have what you got. I'm jealous, yet respectful and happy for you.

I was so glad my friend I know from on here only made it this year with his son at Whitesboro. He must be on cloud 9 getting ready for Friday. Does the air really smell different come playoff time like I've been told it does? With ya bud, and good luck. Maybe I'll get my wish next year? Just one Lord, please.

So you Wimberleys, Giddings, Gilmers, Cueros, Coldsprings, Navasotas, Daingerfields of the world, be thankful what you have, and think of me this Friday, at your schools playoff game. And, good luck. This year, I've adopted Gonzales as my playoff school.:)

But, if you see someone in a blue "Y" cap at your game, say hi. I'm rooting for Texas High School Football. Love it.

wimbo_pro
11-09-2011, 06:18 PM
All I want is my son and nephew to experience a playoff game at Yoakum. Close after their junior year this year, but no go. His pop's never played in one, and don't think I don't think about that all the time this time of year.

I travel many miles and see you elite schools play in your many, many playoff games yearly. Attend the state games, and love that community pride you elite towns show. I sometimes feel I'm a Gobbler, in a blue "Y" cap rooting them on in their playoff games. You guys don't know how lucky you are to have what you got. I'm jealous, yet respectful and happy for you.

I was so glad my friend I know from on here only made it this year with his son at Whitesboro. He must be on cloud 9 getting ready for Friday. Does the air really smell different come playoff time like I've been told it does? With ya bud, and good luck. Maybe I'll get my wish next year? Just one Lord, please.

So you Wimberleys, Giddings, Gilmers, Cueros, Coldsprings, Navasotas, Daingerfields of the world, be thankful what you have, and think of me this Friday, at your schools playoff game. And, good luck. This year, I've adopted Gonzales as my playoff school.:)

But, if you see someone in a blue "Y" cap at your game, say hi. I'm rooting for Texas High School Football. Love it.

Great quote, YTB. We have been where you are at many times before, so I hear you. And, with all of our talent graduating (well, not all...but most), we will have to fight hard to make it next year. And yes, things are different in the play off time frame...especially in December, if you're lucky enough to get there. There is NOTHING like Texas HS Football in December...NOTHING LIKE IT!!!!

defense51
11-09-2011, 06:28 PM
There is NOTHING like Texas HS Football in December...NOTHING LIKE IT!!!!

Something special about Thanksgiving practices and playing football at Christmas time!

YTBulldogs
11-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Something special about Thanksgiving practices and playing football at Christmas time!

I'd be satisfied watching my son play around Veterans Day.

pirate4state
11-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Awww :) It really is a great feeling and one I hope that you & your family can enjoy soon. Sinton would LOVE to get back to DECEMBER football this year. Last time was in 09 and before that it was 01, so we are hungry for it. A lot of the kids on this team remember the awesome ride our state title run was in '01 and would love to be the group that gets us back there. :thumbsup:

'Necks 2013-14
11-09-2011, 07:46 PM
What a touching post YTB. There is truly nothing better than the enjoyment of watching the greatest game, in the greatest state, in the greatest nation on the planet!! The best thing about all of it, for me at least, is the way it brings the community together. Doesn't matter what race, gender, or whatever...when you see someone else wearing a spirit shirt with your school's logo on it there is usually a smile, a nod, or a big thumbs up exchanged. Community pride that crosses all barriers is a great thing to see in these stressful times we are living in. Hope y'all go to the show next season YTB. I'll be rootin' fer ya!!!:clap:

wimbo_pro
11-09-2011, 08:26 PM
What a touching post YTB. There is truly nothing better than the enjoyment of watching the greatest game, in the greatest state, in the greatest nation on the planet!!

Don't forget...also the greatest planet too. Thats pretty much unquestioned.

'Necks 2013-14
11-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Don't forget...also the greatest planet too. Thats pretty much unquestioned.Having first hand knowledge of this planet only.....I kinda thought that was a given. Now you, I'm not so sure about!:crazy:

fire_it_up
11-09-2011, 08:41 PM
We are so pleased you adopted the Apaches. Hope it works out for you next year. We haven't been in the playoffs in about 4 years and it really is so much fun, especially when you have family or close friends playing.

YTBulldogs
11-09-2011, 08:45 PM
We are so pleased you adopted the Apaches. Hope it works out for you next year. We haven't been in the playoffs in about 4 years and it really is so much fun, especially when you have family or close friends playing.

fire_it_up, most those kids playing over there I've known for many years. Coach Clack and I coached them in CYFL All Stars. They are very deserving of this success.

1st and goal
11-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Good post YT. By chance, were you at the Giddings/Columbus scrimmage? There was a father and son (looked junior high age) scouting for Yoakum there. Just asking. It takes a bunch of years of playing at youth level all the way up to varsity, plus some great athletes and coaching to get to the next level. Also, kudos to all the parents that cart their kids all over creation to give them the opportunity.

PS. I grew up in Victoria, lived in Houston, Bryan, Cedar Park, but have never been such a big high school football fan until I moved here to Giddings. I have to say, it is contagious. Been watching the Buffs since 2001. I was talking to the owner of the tractor dealership and he's been watching them for like 70 years.

YTBulldogs
11-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Good post YT. By chance, were you at the Giddings/Columbus scrimmage? There was a father and son (looked junior high age) scouting for Yoakum there. Just asking. It takes a bunch of years of playing at youth level all the way up to varsity, plus some great athletes and coaching to get to the next level. Also, kudos to all the parents that cart their kids all over creation to give them the opportunity.

PS. I grew up in Victoria, lived in Houston, Bryan, Cedar Park, but have never been such a big high school football fan until I moved here to Giddings. I have to say, it is contagious. Been watching the Buffs since 2001. I was talking to the owner of the tractor dealership and he's been watching them for like 70 years.

That wasn't me. Most likely our head coach, Coach Kornegay and his son, who is a 8th grader.

Gone Fishing
11-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Don't forget...also the greatest planet too. Thats pretty much unquestioned.

Sometimes I really try wimbo but you just say the stupidest things

Gone Fishing
11-09-2011, 09:22 PM

Let me just tell you, YT it is the greatest fun ever and I just hope you will get some of it; Wimberley has been very blessed with a lot of good players over the last 8-10 years, but our coaches are big time coaches and for whatever reason have parked it in Wimberley Texas. And believe me, when I say this, the coaches and the total program matters. You might have a good group come through every once in awhile in a 3-2-1 A schools, but we are blessed in Wimberley to have a total, and I mean "TOTAL" football program here, and I am sooooo glad I moved here. It starts in 7 grade and coach Nelms is a part or the reason of it all. Hopefully you have or will get the right men there to start the right program for YHS. There is a good chance we may be in your area of the World if we beat Taylor and Gonzales beats Hondo. I will gladly seek you out to Hi. I love Yoakum by the way, did a job in Sweet Home not too long ago.

YTBulldogs
11-09-2011, 09:25 PM
Let me just tell you, YT it is the greatest fun ever and I just hope you will get some of it; Wimberley has been very blessed with a lot of good players over the last 8-10 years, but our coaches are big time coaches and for whatever reason have parked it in Wimberley Texas. And believe me, when I say this, the coaches and the total program matters. You might have a good group come through every once in awhile in a 3-2-1 A schools, but we are blessed in Wimberley to have a total, and I mean "TOTAL" football program here, and I am sooooo glad I moved here. It starts in 7 grade and coach Nelms is a part or the reason of it all. Hopefully you have or will get the right men there to start the right program for YHS. There is a good chance we may be in your area of the World if we beat Taylor and Gonzales beats Hondo. I will gladly seek you out to Hi. I love Yoakum by the way, did a job in Sweet Home not too long ago.

Great Gone Fishing. I'll be at the Wim/GZ game for sure. Should be a good one. Met a few 3ADL'ers last year at state, and they are awesome people. Had a great time.

Buckeye80
11-09-2011, 09:29 PM
My Gilmer teams went 6-4 and 6-3-1 and made the playoffs neither year. It wasn't always like it is now for the Buckeyes. We've had our share of bad bad years; trust me. Y'all's day will come. :)

YTBulldogs
11-09-2011, 09:33 PM
My Gilmer teams went 6-4 and 6-3-1 and made the playoffs neither year. It wasn't always like it is now for the Buckeyes. We've had our share of bad bad years; trust me. Y'all's day will come. :)

I know Gilmer quite well. And yes, they had some trying days in the past. I went to Daingerfield through my junior year. Left in 1981, moved to panhandle and graduated from Dumas in 1982.

Is Catfish Village still open on 155? Miss that place. I grew up on Lone Star Lake.

Gone Fishing
11-09-2011, 09:33 PM
Great quote, YTB. We have been where you are at many times before, so I hear you. And, with all of our talent graduating (well, not all...but most), we will have to fight hard to make it next year. And yes, things are different in the play off time frame...especially in December, if you're lucky enough to get there. There is NOTHING like Texas HS Football in December...NOTHING LIKE IT!!!!

Once again Wimbo you are wrong! Many many good Jrs on this team doing many many good things! count them!!! Will we be as deep next year, No, but very talented. Much like the 06 team, will need some help from a few younger players for sure, but our freshman team didnt lose a game and I think the JV lost one. (so my point is "all our talent, is not graduating")

wimbo_pro
11-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Sometimes I really try wimbo but you just say the stupidest things

LOL..it was a joke...tongue-in-cheek? Ok, not that funny....

wimbo_pro
11-09-2011, 09:44 PM
Once again Wimbo you are wrong! Many many good Jrs on this team doing many many good things! count them!!! Will we be as deep next year, No, but very talented. Much like the 06 team, will need some help from a few younger players for sure, but our freshman team didnt lose a game and I think the JV lost one. (so my point is "all our talent, is not graduating")

OK, I know we have talent coming up...but almost ALL of our impact players...the players that we are counting on to get us to the Big Show...the "skilled" positions...are almost ALL seniors, if not ALL.

Tejastrue
11-09-2011, 09:45 PM
LOL..it was a joke...tongue-in-cheek? Ok, not that funny....

It seems you're getting more love from the LHP fans these days huh Wimbo....

wimbo_pro
11-09-2011, 09:48 PM

Apparently!! Ha! It's ok...he didn't mean anything derogatory by it. At least I don't THINK he did. He apparently isn't familiar with my humor (if you want to call it that).

YTBulldogs
11-09-2011, 09:48 PM

Does all the winning create the likes of wimbo? :p

wimbo_pro
11-09-2011, 09:50 PM
does all the winning create the likes of wimbo? :p

lolol

Pawdaddy
11-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Is Catfish Village still open on 155? Miss that place. I grew up on Lone Star Lake.

You bet it is! Me and 34 members of my family ate there this past Friday night. Gave up the culmination of an undefeated regular season for the Buckeyes to sit with my 89 year old Cajun uncle. He played at Union Hill back when they wore leather helmets. Kids had harder heads back then!

Gone Fishing
11-09-2011, 09:54 PM
OK, I know we have talent coming up...but almost ALL of our impact players...the players that we are counting on to get us to the Big Show...the "skilled" positions...are almost ALL seniors, if not ALL.

Wrong, again.

wimbo_pro
11-09-2011, 10:10 PM
Wrong, again.

Blakemore, Smith, Lambert, Fonville, Burttschell, Gray, Alana, Wilson, Guidry, Mann...just to name a few seniors. Are these guys impact players? Sheesh.

Buckeye80
11-09-2011, 10:12 PM
I heard Wimberley won't win a game next year. ;)

Tejastrue
11-09-2011, 10:14 PM
Does all the winning create the likes of wimbo? :p

There's only one...thanks be to God...:D

YTBulldogs
11-09-2011, 10:15 PM
There's only one...thanks be to God...:D

LOL. Poor wimbo.

wimbo_pro
11-09-2011, 10:16 PM

Back off, BuckeyeBoy!!

Tejastrue
11-09-2011, 10:19 PM

I guess we better take care of business while there's still some business to take care...

Buckeye80
11-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Let's get a Wimberley/Gilmer pre-district home and home on the books. Cmon!! We both need to branch out a little! :)

YTBulldogs
11-09-2011, 10:25 PM
Let's get a Wimberley/Gilmer pre-district home and home on the books. Cmon!! We both need to branch out a little! :)

I'd love to see that one.

wimbo_pro
11-09-2011, 10:26 PM

That would be great...but wouldnt it be a good 5 hour drive?

Buckeye80
11-09-2011, 10:28 PM
That would be great...but wouldnt it be a good 5 hour drive?

Dunno. Where is Wimberley? I know approximately.

wimbo_pro
11-09-2011, 10:30 PM
Dunno. Where is Wimberley? I know approximately.

An hour south of Austin

Pawdaddy
11-09-2011, 10:35 PM
An hour south of Austin

We could do a Week 0 in Nacogdoches!

wimbo_pro
11-09-2011, 10:36 PM
We could do a Week 0 in Nacogdoches!

Good lord...Nacogdoches is a good 6-7 hours!!

Buckeye80
11-09-2011, 10:36 PM
An hour south of Austin
Yeah that is a six hour drive. Gilmer is 20 miles north of Longview. Ennis would be a good venue!

Pawdaddy
11-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Good lord...Nacogdoches is a good 6-7 hours!!

You going through Gilmer to get there?

YTBulldogs
11-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Play Gilmer/Wim game at Jerry's World or Waco.

wimbo_pro
11-09-2011, 10:48 PM

THAT would be perfect.

Los Owls
11-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Great Gone Fishing. I'll be at the Wim/GZ game for sure. Should be a good one. Met a few 3ADL'ers last year at state, and they are awesome people. Had a great time.
In 1969,Randolph Ro-Hawks played the Hondo Owls in Hondo for Bi-District in Class AA...Randolph was always the Judsons of AA football...Back then, the game tickets were like the admit one tickets..Anyway,Hondo did'nt have a chance according to all the experts in the press...Hondo was losing at halftime 14-0...Second half,Owls come out running the veer formation and Randolph had no answer in stopping the veer formation..Owls scored 24 unanswered points and won 24-14...Monday afternoon,the Hondo ISD school recieved the game tickets for the following week playoffs from Randolph ISD..The tickets said,Randolph Ro-Hawks vs Lyford...Hondo had to scratch off Randolph and write Hondo Owls vs Lyford...Hmmm,always worry about what's in front of you first and worry about whats next when it gets here...The Hondo Owls are the #1 Class AAA team in playoff appearances with 47...No state title yet,but continueto go after it...1 State appearance in'56,lost....2 State semi-finals,1971 and 2006....So,we are spoiled in being in the playoffs..But,have many times spoiled highranked teams that have overlooked us...

YTBulldogs
11-09-2011, 10:57 PM
In 1969,Randolph Ro-Hawks played the Hondo Owls in Hondo for Bi-District in Class AA...Randolph was always the Judsons of AA football...Back then, the game tickets were like the admit one tickets..Anyway,Hondo did'nt have a chance according to all the experts in the press...Hondo was losing at halftime 14-0...Second half,Owls come out running the veer formation and Randolph had no answer in stopping the veer formation..Owls scored 24 unanswered points and won 24-14...Monday afternoon,the Hondo ISD school recieved the game tickets for the following week playoffs from Randolph ISD..The tickets said,Randolph Ro-Hawks vs Lyford...Hondo had to scratch off Randolph and write Hondo Owls vs Lyford...Hmmm,always worry about what's in front of you first and worry about whats next when it gets here...The Hondo Owls are the #1 Class AAA team in playoff appearances with 47...No state title yet,but continueto go after it...1 State appearance in'56,lost....2 State semi-finals,1971 and 2006....So,we are spoiled in being in the playoffs..But,have many times spoiled highranked teams that have overlooked us...

Trust me, GZ is not overlooking you. Just me, and I have nothing to do with GZ.

wimbo_pro
11-09-2011, 10:59 PM
.But,have many times spoiled highranked teams that have overlooked us...

He speak-eth the truth on that one.

Los Owls
11-09-2011, 11:01 PM
Trust me, GZ is not overlooking you. Just me, and I have nothing to do with GZ. Maybe the Owls and Yoakum should play each other in the non-district schedule next year..

Buckeye80
11-09-2011, 11:05 PM

To put it nicely, I have it on good information that there will be demons and devils building snowmen before the Buckeyes play in Floyd Casey again.

Buckeye80
11-09-2011, 11:11 PM
The Hondo Owls are the #1 Class AAA team in playoff appearances with 47......

Well it's not exactly difficult to be the meanest bull in the field when the rest of the cows are all heifers! Lol Totally kidding! :D

Gone Fishing
11-10-2011, 08:45 AM
Blakemore, Smith, Lambert, Fonville, Burttschell, Gray, Alana, Wilson, Guidry, Mann...just to name a few seniors. Are these guys impact players? Sheesh.
Gray is out for the year since 4th game
Mann is a Jr, Terreo, Kothman, Kelly, Jones, Moore, Heatly, Hendrikz, Rainwater, Morris, King, just to name a few that start or play a whole lot. Yes we need some more skill players and depth but just saying not too bad 11 guys to start the roster next year.

Los Owls
11-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Well it's not exactly difficult to be the meanest bull in the field when the rest of the cows are all heifers! Lol Totally kidding! :D
That's not our problem...As far The Owls,we are players that are home grown.We are to far from San Antonio and hardly ever get transfers like other schools that give them a better advantage in going further in the playoffs....Owls are all players that play all sports in our school..They just don't play one sport...Some people are lucky to get transfers very often,maybe your one of those teams..But,the Hondo Owls are just a team that has done pretty good in the area and continue to make the playoffs and lead the AAA in playoff appearances..Can you imagine if we lived by San Antonio suburbs and got new kids every year....We could be very dangerous every year...:cheerl:

wimbo_pro
11-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Gray is out for the year since 4th game
Mann is a Jr, Terreo, Kothman, Kelly, Jones, Moore, Heatly, Hendrikz, Rainwater, Morris, King, just to name a few that start or play a whole lot. Yes we need some more skill players and depth but just saying not too bad 11 guys to start the roster next year.

Smith was out last year in the 3rd or 4th game too, but returned, so my point still remains that we have lots of graduates this year. By the way, MaxPreps says Mann is a senior. If he truly is a junior, then I made a mistake. http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/wimberley-texans-(wimberley,tx)/football/roster.htm

I am sure we will have a quality team. But you gave the impression that I was "wrong" to imply we will have a drop off in talent. So, let me ask you plainly...do you think we will be ranked in the top 5 next August? Simple question.

Gone Fishing
11-11-2011, 08:24 AM
Smith was out last year in the 3rd or 4th game too, but returned, so my point still remains that we have lots of graduates this year. By the way, MaxPreps says Mann is a senior. If he truly is a junior, then I made a mistake. http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/wimberley-texans-(wimberley,tx)/football/roster.htm

I am sure we will have a quality team. But you gave the impression that I was "wrong" to imply we will have a drop off in talent. So, let me ask you plainly...do you think we will be ranked in the top 5 next August? Simple question.

Maybe not top 5 but top 10 IMO. Mann is a Jr

Manso/V8
11-11-2011, 09:06 AM
That really depends on how well you do in the playoffs this year.
Pre-season polls are based a lot of the previous years success.
If the Ducks knock you out tonight, don't expect to be in the top 10 pre-season.

lbjacj
11-11-2011, 09:20 AM
If the Ducks knock you out tonight, don't expect to be in the top 10 pre-season.
Not gonna happen! Our JV would trounce Taylor!

Gone Fishing
11-11-2011, 09:47 AM

Not gonna happen! Our JV would trounce Taylor!

Your right Manso on the playoff run and polls the next year. You are right also LBJ.

wimbo_pro
11-11-2011, 10:25 AM

OK, Mann is a junior...thats good to know. When I typed that, I kinda of questioned it because I know his parents, and I had a thought running in my head that they had mentioned that before. Should have gone with my gut, not MaxPrep.

OK...you think top 10. That would be a surprise to me, but nonetheless, a definite drop off in talent due to the graduating class. Doesnt sound like I was so "wrong" after all. As far as next year, you think we would be ranked in the top 10 without ONE "skill" position being a returning starter. Wow. Thats a bold prediction, but OK. You might be right.

Sportshack
11-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Wrong, again.

I am with Wimbo Pro on the talent drop off prediction. However, I do think the team next year will be good. I love watching the juniors competing on varsity this year play!! They are ballers. They will make the playoffs. It is just hard to imagine the team next year replacing the production at receiver, which is a huge factor in this year's success. Jones was only junior that really took snaps this year at WR and even that was limited. He will be QB next year. Also secondary will be virtually new faces and none will back ups that have been getting varsity time this year. Rainwater has played a little secondary this year and has ability but I can see him being an OLB next year. If so, not one member of secondary will have any real varsity experience. I would not expect Jones to play much in secondary as he will be QB. And on top of inexperience...who will replace the production of Brennen Blakemore as a playmaking threat. I would be interested to know who is going to jump up in these areas and be as productive with no or little varsity level experince? These things go through cycles. I am excited to watch this team finish up 2011 and to watch next year's team compete as well. It should be fun. You are correct that RB's will be good, QB will be good, LB's will be good, D-line will be good. I cannot get a feel for O-Line.

SintonFan
11-11-2011, 11:33 AM
How did this become a Wimberley(bows down) thread? :D

wimbo_pro
11-11-2011, 11:35 AM

HaHaHa!!! Good one Sinton!! And please...don't bow completely down...just a head nod will do!!! LOL

Sportshack
11-11-2011, 11:39 AM
:

Simple...Wimbo Pro makes a statement and Gone Fishing tells him he is WRONG and we are off to the races. :stirpot:

Tejastrue
11-11-2011, 11:57 AM

We were not listed first in the thread by accident...:wave:

Wimbo, I agree with you...can't lose the number of top notch skill players that we will and expect to be on the same level. One thing we know is we'll all be there supporting them. Now pleeeeease, can we focus on 2011..we're in the playoffs and have some unfinished business to attend to...Go Texans