PDA

View Full Version : 2-8 Mexia in the Playoffs!

44 Magnum
11-08-2011, 01:25 PM
The Mexia Blackcats notched their second win of the season in Week 10 of the 2011 football season. Somehow a 2-8 season record and a 2-3 District record was good enough to launch the Blackcats to a third place district finish and a playoff berth. The Blackcats will take on the Robinson Rockets (8-2, 4-1) in a Bi-district class Friday night at 7:30 in Teague. These two teams scrimmaged in August with Robinson dominating most of the scrimmage. However, when you mix in special teams, turnovers, etc. who knows what the outcome might be.

JJWalker
11-08-2011, 02:02 PM
The Mexia Blackcats notched their second win of the season in Week 10 of the 2011 football season. Somehow a 2-8 season record and a 2-3 District record was good enough to launch the Blackcats to a third place district finish and a playoff berth. The Blackcats will take on the Robinson Rockets (8-2, 4-1) in a Bi-district class Friday night at 7:30 in Teague. These two teams scrimmaged in August with Robinson dominating most of the scrimmage. However, when you mix in special teams, turnovers, etc. who knows what the outcome might be.

I know what the outcome will be. Ask me, I will tell you.

Bullaholic
11-08-2011, 02:09 PM
nm. Wrong info.

Pendragon13
11-08-2011, 02:10 PM
And this is a perfect example of why 3 teams from each district (even 4 team districts) making the playoffs waters down the early rounds..

NHSBulldog75
11-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Football playoffs are all about building excitement for the game......and padding UIL's pocket

MGAR
11-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Bet anything their motto is "2 and 8, going to state"

Bullaholic
11-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Never understood the downside to more games= more enjoyment for everyone. A 10-game regular season comes and goes in the blink of an eye. Anybody want to go to a 2-8 team's locker room and tell them how much they don't belong in the playoffs? Think those players believe that? The best teams will play their way to their rewards---simple as that....let em' play.

YTBulldogs
11-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Never understood the downside to more games= more enjoyment for everyone. A 10-game regular season comes and goes in the blink of an eye. Anybody want to go to a 2-8 team's locker room and tell them how much they don't belong in the playoffs? Think those players believe that? The best teams will play their way to their rewards---simple as that....let em' play.

:iagree:

wimbo_pro
11-08-2011, 03:28 PM

Exactly. It's a great lesson for the boys...it's never too late to get your act together. Don't ever give up, you can make it.

Of course, I haven't yet figured out what the lesson is for Canyon Lake who is at home sitting out the play offs at 8-2. I'll come up with something.

YTBulldogs
11-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Exactly. It's a great lesson for the boys...it's never too late to get your act together. Don't ever give up, you can make it.

Of course, I haven't yet figured out what the lesson is for Canyon Lake who is at home sitting out the play offs at 8-2. I'll come up with something.

Boy you got this right wp.

SHSBulldog00
11-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Bet anything their motto is "2 and 8, going to state"

:clap:

clhsdad
11-08-2011, 03:33 PM

Well, let us know when you do we could use something positive out of this.

SHSBulldog00
11-08-2011, 03:37 PM
Well, let us know when you do we could use something positive out of this.

I know it doesn't help right now, Realignment is coming; maybe an 8-2 will get you guys in next year.

wimbo_pro
11-08-2011, 03:40 PM
I know it doesn't help right now, Realignment is coming; maybe an 8-2 will get you guys in next year.

I bet CLHS goes 4A. Thoughts, clhsDad?

jason
11-08-2011, 03:41 PM
there is a 5a district where two 2-8 teams made it...i think a 1-9 team also made it somewhere...

SHSBulldog00
11-08-2011, 03:41 PM

I'll take that bet!!!

clhsdad
11-08-2011, 07:17 PM

No, we will stay 3A for at least a couple more times.

NastySlot
11-08-2011, 07:20 PM
there is a 5a district where two 2-8 teams made it...i think a 1-9 team also made it somewhere...

it's the 5A Austin district that includes Delvalle

Buckeye80
11-08-2011, 07:30 PM
Let me play "devil's advocate" just for argument's sake. Wouldn't a reward system also be in place for a team that finished well if a rule was passed that sub-.400 teams could not go to the playoffs? If a team finishes 3-7 or worse, their spot in the playoffs is simply vacated giving their would be opponent an automatic bye. The incentive there is playing hard to ensure that you end up on the side of the bracket vs a "runner up" from the next district who may not even be allowed in the playoffs, giving your team a first round bye.
The other part of this is hard to correct. Canyon Lake finishes 8-2 and goes home while 2-8 Mexia goes to the playoffs. You can't very well give Mexia's spot to Canyon Lake. That would cause all sorts of problems geographically, as well as several other issues. That aspect of the playoff system is flawed, but there seems no way around that. From a weak district, odds are a weak team will make the playoffs.

Bullaholic
11-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Let me play "devil's advocate" just for argument's sake. Wouldn't a reward system also be in place for a team that finished well if a rule was passed that sub-.400 teams could not go to the playoffs? If a team finishes 3-7 or worse, their spot in the playoffs is simply vacated giving their would be opponent an automatic bye. The incentive there is playing hard to ensure that you end up on the side of the bracket vs a "runner up" from the next district who may not even be allowed in the playoffs, giving your team a first round bye.
The other part of this is hard to correct. Canyon Lake finishes 8-2 and goes home while 2-8 Mexia goes to the playoffs. You can't very well give Mexia's spot to Canyon Lake. That would cause all sorts of problems geographically, as well as several other issues. That aspect of the playoff system is flawed, but there seems no way around that. From a weak district, odds are a weak team will make the playoffs.

Got to feel for Canyon Lake and other teams with similar circumstances. I wonder if this playoff system would work:

1. Do away with DI and DII.

2. Give the DC's a Rd1 bye and let #2 and #3 play for the other playoff spot.

3. Rd2--have the DC's play the playoff qualifier from the neighboring district and then resume the normal bracket.

Buckeye80
11-08-2011, 08:15 PM
What about ranking teams "one through 16" in each in each region based on record, strength of schedule, blah blah blah? One plays 16, two plays 15, so on, so on, so on......

Bullaholic
11-08-2011, 08:17 PM
What about ranking teams "one through 16" in each in each region based on record, strength of schedule, blah blah blah? One plays 16, two plays 15, so on, so on, so on......

That's the system I've always really advocated---it's basically the NCAA tournament seeding system. Like to see it in place of the BCS, too.

YTBulldogs
11-08-2011, 08:25 PM
No, we will stay 3A for at least a couple more times.

Water rates too high at CL. They stopped coming.

clhsdad
11-09-2011, 10:41 AM
Water rates too high at CL. They stopped coming.

Your not kidding went from reasonable to out of sight in a year.

Johnny 5
11-09-2011, 10:51 AM
or UIL could just fix the districts.

Their logic in drawing out districts is quite baffling.

Phil C
11-09-2011, 10:54 AM
How did Canyon Lake not make the playoffs with an 8-2 record?

NastySlot
11-09-2011, 11:09 AM
How did Canyon Lake not make the playoffs with an 8-2 record?

the night they played boerne.......lost out by turning the ball over too much and I believe boerne my have scored late to push them up in the points tie breaker.

so in other words...one bad night............CL could of made some noise in the D1 bracket.

Trench Warrior
11-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Then again we are looking at the whole season. There are some teams that might go 0-5 in non district but sweep their district. They are a .500 team and as a whole that doesn't look good, but we in district they dominate. I still know some coaches who schedule seasons so that they are tested harshly in the first half, so when district comes around they are ready. You've gotta feel for CL, but they were in a tough district. If it wasn't them, we would be talking about another team from that D26 with the same district record.

MGAR
11-09-2011, 02:21 PM

That's pretty much how Louisiana does it. Higher seed host the game in their stadium.

IndianFan2012
11-09-2011, 08:21 PM
I moved from CLHS to AHS at the end of my sophomore year... That's MY senior class that isn't going to playoffs because of one bad night. It really sucks. I spent a good chunk of my young life with those guys and they deserve a chance this year.