PDA

View Full Version : Region I Scattershooting

vet93
10-30-2003, 11:05 AM
This is a big week in region I for many reasons. There are quite a few games that will decide district championships and playoff berths.

Merkel/Sweetwater is a huge game. If Merkel pulls the upset it could cause a 3-way tie for first in that district between Snyder, Merkel and Sweetwater. Merkel is better than they have been in a long time. They have had some trouble getting over the hump against quality teams. I look for Sweetwater to win this game at home but Merkel will make the playoffs and don't just count them out if they have to play Greenwood in round 1. Their defense will keep them in most games and their offense has enough punch to hurt you. Coach flowers and the boys have done an excellent job. By the way, you can't say enough about sweetwater...they just reload every year and put out a very good team. They could make some noise in the playoffs.

Kermit/Monahans is the game to watch in 4-3a. A monahans win seals up the district championship for them. A kermit win creates a big mess for the district championship between them, monahans and greenwood. I look for Monahans to take this game but don't count out Coach Jones and a feisty Yellowjacket ball club. They gave Greenwood a good game. By the way...you have to give coach Hanna, his staff, and the kids at Monahans a lot of credit for putting themselves in a position to win a championship. They were quite a long shot for the championship at the beginning of the season with the defending d2 finalist in their district.

Vernon/Iowa Park is the big game in 5-3a. This game will likely decide the seeding for the small school representatives. Vernon should take this game and lock up the #1 small school spot. IP is a scrappy bunch though and you can never count them out. This would give you a likely bi-district pairing of Vernon/Brady and Ballinger/IP.

Brady/Wylie is the game to watch in district 6-3a. This game has huge implications particularly for Wylie. A loss would take their playoff destiny out of their hands. They would have to hope for a clyde loss this week or next. I have said before...Wylie has all of the incentive in this game. Brady can afford to lose and still make it. I look for Wylie to beat a very tough Brady team this week. This would set up a game to decide the district championship against Ballinger in the last week.

Ballinger/Comanche should be a Bearcat win, however, these bearcats play to the level of their opponent which could mean a much tighter game than many expect. Hopefully Ballinger can fine tune and come out hitting on all cylinders to set up a good game against wylie and a good playoff run.

In 7-3a Little Elm/Bridgeport is a game to watch. With the exception of Decatur, all of the other teams in that district can beat each other on a given night. Little Elm played well last week. If they keep up that momentum, then look for them to pull this game out.

Lake Dallas/Sanger is another 7-3a match to watch. An upset by Sanger could have implications in the big/small school seedings. Lake Dallas will likely take this game.

Can Glen Rose upset Kennedale and then Everman to storm into the playoffs and knock Venus out...........NOT! Kennedale will smash Glen Rose and end the dream.

Matthew328
10-30-2003, 11:16 AM
Don't look now..but somehow Everman is managing to somehow sneak under some folks radar...still not getting any votes in the AP poll...I am loving it...the Bulldogs are starting to play really well..hope they can continue it through the playoffs..

vet93
10-30-2003, 11:26 AM
Matt...I think that everyone in region I thinks that to advance you are going to have to play Everman...where I think that your statement is correct is that the other regions may be discounting a very good Everman team.

GWOOD
10-30-2003, 11:51 AM
Monahans/Kermit--After watching Greenwood play both teams I would say Monahans is the better team. Greenwood played Monahans harder and with more enthusiasm but looked lost trying to stop Monahans on defense. Kermit was tough but we had three players out in the 2nd half (including Audus)and looked lethargic in that 22-20 win. I say Monahans by two touchdowns.

Brady/Wylie-What a lot of pressure on this Wylie team. This school has been a winner in AAA in many sports for quite a few years. I grew up in that area and know that many area towns would love to see a Wylie fall.

ClydeFan
10-30-2003, 12:12 PM
It's an exciting time, as the district races near completion! I'd love to see both the Merkel/Sweetwater and Wylie/Brady game and of course the Clyde/Early game.

According to what I read, the tie breaker in 6-3A is based on a point system capped at 14 points per game. A Wylie loss to Brady would not automatically knock them out of the playoffs.

Good luck to all of the teams.

Matthew328
10-30-2003, 02:02 PM
vet93:
Matt...I think that everyone in region I thinks that to advance you are going to have to play Everman...where I think that your statement is correct is that the other regions may be discounting a very good Everman team.You are correct

vet93
10-30-2003, 03:58 PM
Good point Clydefan...I think everyone was working under the assumption that the head to head match up would be the first tie-breaker.

ClydeFan:
It's an exciting time, as the district races near completion! I'd love to see both the Merkel/Sweetwater and Wylie/Brady game and of course the Clyde/Early game.

According to what I read, the tie breaker in 6-3A is based on a point system capped at 14 points per game. A Wylie loss to Brady would not automatically knock them out of the playoffs.

Good luck to all of the teams.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-30-2003, 04:12 PM
A little scattershooting out of district 5:

The Iowa Park - Vernon game is the game of the district this week. Both teams run similar offenses. IP has a linebacker out and I'm not sure if he will play at all. #13 Brian Love is his name. I understand that he received a concussion two weeks ago and he didn't play last week although he did suit up. Of course IP didn't need him either with Bowie on the plate. He plays LB and Fullback so they will hurt without him.

Vernon also lost a starting LB three weeks ago #46 Anzaldua and they have played a sophomore in his spot #45. He seems to be getting better and made 17 tackles last week against Graham. So look for him to continue to get better.

If Vernon wins this one and IP losses next week to Graham and Vernon beats Childress, then Vernon goes in as the #1 seed and IP #2 in the small school.

If IP wins this one, then IP goes in as #1 even with a loss to Graham the following week. Then the #2 spot will be between Vernon and Childress. If Vernon beats IP and IP then losses to Graham and Childress beats Vernon and wins this week against Bowie then I believe that it would go to points with all three teams tied.

Watch the Graham - Breckenridge game. Breckenridge throws the ball very well and Graham defends the run very well. Look for Breckenridge to score more points on Graham than any of the other teams in district. Graham will score on Breckenridge so depending on how well the Bucks pass and score will be the tale. They will have to score probably 35 or better to stay with the Steers. I don't see that happening but it could.

After my last prediction (Venus over Everman) I better stay within the district this week!

ClydeFan
10-30-2003, 04:58 PM
Vet, I went back and re-read the article again in our newspaper, and it looks like I was wrong in my earlier statement. The point system is used when there is a 3 way tie, which would make more sense to me. Sorry about that!

Knightmoon
10-30-2003, 07:42 PM
Merkel by 10-- not sure if Sweetwater has faced a defense as good as Merkel's. Merkel also has a good bunch of running backs.

Wylie by 14-- Wylie will make a statement and win this much needed game.Pretty even match up, but I think Wylie will be ready for this one.

Ballinger by 14--Ballinger will cruise by Comanche
Their defense will solidify this week.

<small>[ October 30, 2003, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: Knightmoon ]</small>

mustang04
10-30-2003, 10:56 PM
Knightmoon....we have faced Andrew's and Greenwood's defense, but have yall faced a defense like ours?? good luck tomorrow and drive safe

KTownBalla
10-30-2003, 11:25 PM
If Everman doesn't win state in D1, they'll go deep or even losing in the state game...Just because Everman lost to a very good Kennedale team, it doesn't make them a bad team...You guys will suprise people now....

Matthew328
10-30-2003, 11:25 PM
The Venus over Everman pick was kinda amusing..LOL

Stangster
10-30-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Knightmoon:
Merkel by 10-- not sure if Sweetwater has faced a defense as good as Merkel's. Merkel also has a good bunch of running backs.

Are you talking about the same defense that let Denver City take a 14 - 0 lead last week. I seem to recall Sweetwater shut out DC. Our defense is the same defense that shut down Greenwood's running game (only now we have a much improved secondary). Merkel had better bring their best game and hope for best. Go Mustangs!

<small>[ October 30, 2003, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: Stangster ]</small>

wildstangs
10-30-2003, 11:41 PM
Stangster:
Originally posted by Knightmoon:

Are you talking about the same defense that let Denver City take a 14 - 0 lead last week. I seem to recall Sweetwater shut out DC. Our defense is the same defense that shut down Greenwood's running game (only now we have a much improved secondary). Merkel had better bring their best game and hope for best. Go Mustangs!Denver City scored both TD's off the offense. Doesnt matter though, Sweetwaters defense will stuff Merkels running game. They havent seen anyone with as tough a D as the Mustangs. Go get em Stangs.

skid
10-31-2003, 12:57 AM
Merkel, HA!

Merkel found a gun and learned to shoot,
they found a horn and learned to toot,
Now they can shoot and toot, ain't they cute.

Sweetwater by 14.

Knightmoon
10-31-2003, 08:44 AM
And they are going to shoot and shoot and shoot. Then the Merkel boys will toot and toot and toot. Now aint that cute? A dose of reality coming to town tonight. Maybe it is a coincidence, but-- I have a 2001 Camaro SS and on the windshield it reads---"Stang Killer". I think that Merkel bus has the same sticker. Imagine that.Nah, all trash talk aside. I hope for the best for both teams. Everybody walks away healthy. I hope both sides give it their best. Sweetwater is a good team, no doubt. Sweetwater has a great football tradition in that town. Can't blame us Merkel folk for wanting a piece of that to take home with us.

Knightmoon
10-31-2003, 08:48 AM
The article in today's Abilene Reporter News. Hope this link works.

http://www.reporter-news.com/abil/sp_fb_high_school/article/0,1874,ABIL_8001_2391116,00.html

rholl
10-31-2003, 09:09 AM
I wonder about Evermans coaching staff occasionally. It seems as though they know they have problems each yr. but they wait until after the Kennedale game to make those corrections then use the rest of district play to bring those corrections up to speed on the field and go into the playoffs finely tuned. I'm not saying they are doing anything wrong...more like sandbagging maybe???????/

GWOOD
10-31-2003, 10:22 AM
Merkel by 10? I appreciate hometown optimism, but outside Merkel, my bet is you are alone in your hopes of a victory. My prediction--Merkel comes ready to play but loses by a touchdown.

skid
10-31-2003, 03:55 PM
Merkel couldn't compete with a little league girl's soccer team. Sweetwater over the rodents, big.