PDA

View Full Version : Bcs..bs

Txbroadcaster
11-06-2011, 09:33 PM
I thought the whole argument for the BCS was every game counts, each week is a play-off

Yet Bama is #3rd in BCS standings after a loss.

Tin Cup
11-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Alabama and LSU are the best two teams in college football.

Txbroadcaster
11-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Alabama and LSU are the best two teams in college football.

maybe...maybe not...from what I saw Sat..two real good Ds, two terrible offenses.

NastySlot
11-06-2011, 09:48 PM
they did lose to the number one team by three in ot.

TheDOCTORdre
11-06-2011, 09:48 PM
I thought the whole argument for the BCS was every game counts, each week is a play-off

Yet Bama is #3rd in BCS standings after a loss.

did you really think they would fall real low in the rankings?

Here's to hoping OSU goes undefeated so that we don't have to deal with a rematch of two great defenses being hyped up to overshadow two sub par offenses

Tin Cup
11-06-2011, 09:50 PM
maybe...maybe not...from what I saw Sat..two real good Ds, two terrible offenses.

The defenses dominated the game just like everyone expected. If Halladay and Verlander both threw shutout no hitters would you say it was terrible offense?

NastySlot
11-06-2011, 09:50 PM

great defense will make offense's look bad esp. great ones with speed............those two secondaries were loaded with future nfl talent not too mention the d-lines

Tin Cup
11-06-2011, 09:52 PM
It is my opinion, and trust me I don't like either team, that Alabama was the better team

MustangFootball
11-06-2011, 09:52 PM

Yet Bama is #3rd in BCS standings after a loss.they did lose to the #1 team by 3pts in overtime you really couldn't have expected them to fall to far if it were me I'd have left them at #2 cause you can't really say Theresa better team maybe Boise St.

Emerson1
11-06-2011, 09:54 PM
The computers are hating Stanford. I have always been on board with eliminating both humans polls.

I have no problem with the logic of it. The #2 team lost in OT to the #1 team by 3.

Offenses were pretty bad. I have a bigger problem with Okie Lite being ranked below in the joke of a Coaches Poll. Seriously why in the hell is that still a factor in it?

Pawdaddy
11-06-2011, 09:54 PM
I am not sure OSU could match up with either "Bama or LSU. If OU takes OSU in a few weeks, we will see a rematch of the Tide and the Cajuns!

NastySlot
11-06-2011, 09:55 PM
they did lose to the #1 team by 3pts in overtime you really couldn't have expected them to fall to far if it were me I'd have left them at #2 cause you can't really say Theresa better team maybe Boise St.

i agree I would of left that at number two............for a game they were even..........it took ot to decide a winner.

MustangFootball
11-06-2011, 09:55 PM

Yet Bama is #3rd in BCS standings after a loss.they did lose to the #1 team by 3pts in overtime you really couldn't have expected them to fall to far if it were me I'd have left them at #2 cause you can't really say Theresa better team maybe Boise St.

Emerson1
11-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Did they change the rule to where two teams from the same conference can't be in the national championship? Thought I heard that somewhere.

Tx Challenge
11-06-2011, 09:57 PM
There is still a lot of football left, and a lot of big games left to really put a lot of worries right now. Look at the remaining schedule, and no one is a shoe in.

NastySlot
11-06-2011, 10:02 PM
There is still a lot of football left, and a lot of big games left to really put a lot of worries right now. Look at the remaining schedule, and no one is a shoe in.

i agree stanford/oregon.......and the way arkansas is improving every week....they might give lsu a game. As for osu and ou.............sooners their injuries might just be too much to overcome...whaley broyles and haven't heard about wort.

Tx Challenge
11-06-2011, 10:20 PM
i agree stanford/oregon.......and the way arkansas is improving every week....they might give lsu a game. As for osu and ou.............sooners their injuries might just be too much to overcome...whaley broyles and haven't heard about wort.

Considering that Oregon's only loss was against LSU, If they blowout Stanford, and OSU looses to OU, they might be right back in it as well. I doubt it, but as I said, lots of big games left for the top 10

forum_guy
11-06-2011, 10:26 PM

sorry man but those two defenses would make any "high powered" offense such as stanford, ok state or boise look terrible.

Txbroadcaster
11-06-2011, 10:27 PM
great debate guys...my point was this...This what is happening at the top proves the one supposed claim for BCS backers is rubbish..each week is not a play-off game

As far as Bad O/Great D...I do think both Defenses are top 3 in nation..but did anyone watch the game and go..man if not for playing these defenses I bet these offenses would drive the field on most other teams?

Bama is 33rd in nation in total yards
LSU is so bad on offense they gain only 4 more yards a game than Kansas...the same Kansas team that after Texas put up legendary D stats against everyone was saying well yea, but it is Kansas, their O suxs.

Tin Cup
11-06-2011, 10:36 PM
I can't help but think about this on a high school level.

Carthage held Brownwood to just 28 points last year, about 4/5 TDs fewer than the average. Was this a case of Brownwood being bad on offense or Carthage controlling the game with their defense. To me Ok St is the Brownwwod and SEC schools are the beasts from the east. LSU had little trouble lighting up a few scoreboards this year against good opponents. An SEC team is able to impose their will on another conference and make the game their style.

Sorry if I made everyone puke with the Brownwood reference.

Saggy Aggie
11-06-2011, 11:40 PM
Dumbest thread ever.

eagles_victory
11-07-2011, 07:41 AM
If Stanford runs the table they jump Bama. But I agree with Terry that wasn't very good offense at all.

Emerson1
11-07-2011, 08:47 AM
If Stanford runs the table they jump Bama. But I agree with Terry that wasn't very good offense at all.
Is it ever in the SEC?

Phil C
11-07-2011, 09:13 AM
We need to forget the BCS and have a real playoff system but of course the college presidents don't want it for obvious reason$.

Old Tiger
11-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Neither LSU or Bama has a QB worth a damn. Aside form Trent Richardson I see no offensive threat on either team.

Old Tiger
11-07-2011, 11:25 AM
lsufreek at it again
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/878667/LSU_vs_Bama.gif

forum_guy
11-07-2011, 01:10 PM
IMO if it's not a rematch both bama and LSU will win their games EASILY

Third
11-07-2011, 01:26 PM
I don't understand why Oregon is being thrown by the wayside. Their only loss is to LSU and anyone who saw that game knows that Oregon played a poor game as well and it was close until the end. I would like to see the Ducks have another crack at LSU and see what happens.

Tx Challenge
11-07-2011, 01:35 PM
I don't understand why Oregon is being thrown by the wayside. Their only loss is to LSU and anyone who saw that game knows that Oregon played a poor game as well and it was close until the end. I would like to see the Ducks have another crack at LSU and see what happens.

I already mentioned Oregon could get back in. Lots would have to happen though. If they blow out Standford, USC, and Oregon State, they would be in the hunt. I can see this happening. They would need help though. Still think all the teams have a chance of losing with the games left, except Boise.

Old Tiger
11-07-2011, 01:39 PM
I don't understand why Oregon is being thrown by the wayside. Their only loss is to LSU and anyone who saw that game knows that Oregon played a poor game as well and it was close until the end. I would like to see the Ducks have another crack at LSU and see what happens.Because no one wants a rematch.

LHPfactory
11-07-2011, 01:44 PM
I cant get into college football because of bcs...... The game is played on the field!
Time to end the era of paper champs and fight through the brackets!

Tin Cup
11-07-2011, 02:12 PM
I want the best two teams in the Nat'l Champ game. I don't care if they played each other or not. Some of the best games I've ever seen are rematches from earlier in the season.

MoveInDad
11-07-2011, 03:06 PM
sorry man but those two defenses would make any "high powered" offense such as stanford, ok state or boise look terrible.
I'm willing to bet you have not seen a Stanford game in over 4 years... 'high-powered' they are not, though the casual observer may think so because they have the 3rd highest scoring offense in the country.
60% of the time they play with 3 tight-end and full-back... remember those? They control the clock, look at their time of possession stats - they held the ball for 40 minutes last week - grinding out the running game, but stop the run and.... they also have one of the most efficient quarterbacks in the country, maybe you heard of him, Andrew Luck, some say he could be the best (pro ready) to ever play the game.
I'm not saying Stanford is #1, but they are probably THE most balanced team in the country... and NOBODY is going to make them look terrible this year.

carter08
11-07-2011, 03:42 PM
UH should be higher.

hollywood
11-07-2011, 03:59 PM
UH should be higher.

Fail

forum_guy
11-07-2011, 04:24 PM
I honestly hope that's the matchup because IMO you are very wrong. I agree Stanford is balanced but they wouldn't stand a chance. If there is no rematch then bama and LSU will win their games by atleast 14+
I'm willing to bet you have not seen a Stanford game in over 4 years... 'high-powered' they are not, though the casual observer may think so because they have the 3rd highest scoring offense in the country.
60% of the time they play with 3 tight-end and full-back... remember those? They control the clock, look at their time of possession stats - they held the ball for 40 minutes last week - grinding out the running game, but stop the run and.... they also have one of the most efficient quarterbacks in the country, maybe you heard of him, Andrew Luck, some say he could be the best (pro ready) to ever play the game.
I'm not saying Stanford is #1, but they are probably THE most balanced team in the country... and NOBODY is going to make them look terrible this year.

GrTigers6
11-07-2011, 04:38 PM
I honestly hope that's the matchup because IMO you are very wrong. I agree Stanford is balanced but they wouldn't stand a chance. If there is no rematch then bama and LSU will win their games by atleast 14+If they only had to play a half then A&M could beat anyone:D

carter08
11-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Fail

Sorry, but UH should be ahead of Virginia Tech and Clemson, imo. I wouldn't put them ahead of 9th yet, but I think by the end of the year, with a few losses by the top 10 schools, they should be around 6 or 7.

eagles_victory
11-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Sorry, but UH should be ahead of Virginia Tech and Clemson, imo. I wouldn't put them ahead of 9th yet, but I think by the end of the year, with a few losses by the top 10 schools, they should be around 6 or 7. Who have they beaten with a pulse?

eagles_victory
11-07-2011, 07:09 PM
People seem to forget the only true spread passing offense LSU faced put up over 530 yards on them.

NastySlot
11-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Who have they beaten with a pulse?

someone earlier in the year was talking up UCLA pretty good.

Tx Challenge
11-07-2011, 08:47 PM
someone earlier in the year was talking up UCLA pretty good.

LOL........I actually will see those mighty Bruins play USC this year. Wish it was in the Rose Bowl though. Never seen a game there.

eagles_victory
11-07-2011, 09:01 PM
someone earlier in the year was talking up UCLA pretty good. Theyre on line to play in the Pac 12 championship was I wrong? But when a 4 point win over UCLA is your best win you belong nowhere near NC talks

NastySlot
11-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Theyre on line to play in the Pac 12 championship was I wrong? But when a 4 point win over UCLA is your best win you belong nowhere near NC talks

yeah they are with that 5-4 record

MoveInDad
11-08-2011, 02:26 PM
I honestly hope that's the matchup because IMO you are very wrong. I agree Stanford is balanced but they wouldn't stand a chance. If there is no rematch then bama and LSU will win their games by atleast 14+
How can I be wrong in any sense? You compared Stanford offense to OK St and Boise, Stanford O couldn't be further to the other side of the spectrum.
Some facts:
3rd highest scoring offense with 48 pts per game
17 consecutive wins, longest in FBS
11-12 games won by more than 25 pts, when they won 10 in a row they achieved something no other team had ever done since the polls were created in 1936
52-52 in the red zone this year, no other team has ever been perfect on that many trips
11th ranked defense 11.6 pts per game (LSU 2nd with 10.9)
Meaning they aren't winning games by simply outscoring ( ie OK St 52- KSU 45)
etc etc etc
We'll see if they can handle the pressure Saturday vs Oregon, if they do, and win out vs, Cal, ND and the PAC12 championship, they will have earned their right to play in the NCG... they ain't no Boise State.

forum_guy
11-08-2011, 03:23 PM
Stanford lacks the speed and athleticism to stay within 14 pts of LSU. That's just my opinion.

MoveInDad
11-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Stanford lacks the speed and athleticism to stay within 14 pts of LSU. That's just my opinion.
You're certainly entitled to that, I just hope we get to find out... I think a lot of people would like to see the 'supposedly' best QB in a generation going against the undisputed #1, and undoubtedly more athletic LSU.
The game against Oregon will be very telling for how Stanford will match-up...
cheers

Old Tiger
11-08-2011, 04:38 PM
yeah they are with that 5-4 record

Tied for first in their division with USC and Arizona State.

Already beat Arizona State.

Remaining games are Utah, Colorado, and USC.

USC will likely be for the Pac 12 South title.

Old Tiger
11-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Stanford lacks the speed and athleticism to stay within 14 pts of LSU. That's just my opinion.Great play calling and a power run game can help out a lot against "fast" defenses"

Maroon87
11-08-2011, 06:40 PM
If you're not good enough to even qualify for your conference title game, you shouldn't be in the NC game.

That's like saying if Lake Travis loses in bi-district they should still get to play for the 4A-DI title because they were obviously the best team all year.

NastySlot
11-08-2011, 06:51 PM
If you're not good enough to even qualify for your conference title game, you shouldn't be in the NC game.

That's like saying if Lake Travis loses in bi-district they should still get to play for the 4A-DI title because they were obviously the best team all year.

ok good point....so if and when they ever come up with a playoff system....would agree only conference champions make the bracket?

NastySlot
11-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Tied for first in their division with USC and Arizona State.

Already beat Arizona State.

Remaining games are Utah, Colorado, and USC.

USC will likely be for the Pac 12 South title.

SC i believe can not play in the championship game due to sanctions............so an SC win would put ASU in(if the win out) and a UCLA win against SC gets them in.

NastySlot
11-08-2011, 06:55 PM
ok good point....so if and when they ever come up with a playoff system....would agree only conference champions make the bracket?

the reason I post that is .....that playoff system would allow the non qualifers to play in bowl games.....which would still make the NCAA and all involved money.

carter08
11-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Theyre on line to play in the Pac 12 championship was I wrong? But when a 4 point win over UCLA is your best win you belong nowhere near NC talks

did I ever say anything about NC? I said we should be around number 9.

after the Tulsa game, though, Cougars will have three tough games: they play an SMU team that is 6-3 and beat #20 TCU already, a 6-3 Tulsa team whose losses have all been to top 10 schools, and a CUSA title game against (probably) an 8-1, top 25 ranked Southern Miss team. Those aren't the same as playing an SEC or Big 12 schedule, no, but if they win those games I think they should definitely end the year around 7 or 8, and hopefully Boise will lose to TCU this weekend and UH will be able to get an at-large bid to one of the smaller BCS games.

forum_guy
11-14-2011, 12:55 PM
MoveInDad im sorry about Stanford. You told me no one in the country would make them look terrible. Looks like LSU wont even get the opportunity to expose them because Oregon already did. Numbers aside you could use the eye test on Stanford and tell they lacked speed.

MoveInDad
11-14-2011, 02:25 PM
MoveInDad im sorry about Stanford. You told me no one in the country would make them look terrible. Looks like LSU wont even get the opportunity to expose them because Oregon already did. Numbers aside you could use the eye test on Stanford and tell they lacked speed.
Very disappointing the way the game played out, never dropped so many f-bombs during a game in my life. More than speed though it was missed assignments and missed tackles, LMJ didn't have to outrun anybody on his 58 yd run, the safety over-committed, LMJ side stepped and could have jogged to the end zone. Same on the 4th and 7, cornerback gets sucked in and slips trying to recover.
A pick six off the hands of a receiver, three other turnovers, and a lot of dropped balls not something many teams can overcome, especially against a team that was clicking like Oregon.
Stanford RB Taylor had almost 100 yds in 1st half, thought they should have stayed with the run more when they got down, Oregon just teed off with Luck in shotgun with just Stewart back there to block.
Not Stanford's night, but doesn't change my opinion - having only lost 1 in the previous 22, I suppose they were over due a game where things didn't go their way - there's not a more respected group of young men in college football.
cheers