PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake in North Texas

bobcat1
11-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Whole house just shook here in North Texas.

jlwttu
11-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Shook pretty good here in Vernon. I wondered what the heck was going on as I've never felt one before. Just looked it up...5.2...21 miles NNE of Shawnee.

Buckeye80
11-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Just saw on the news; it was only the sonic boom from the speed in which LSU's fans' heads just swelled.

Pendragon13
11-05-2011, 11:02 PM
It's all the fracking going on with gas wells.....quakes all over the country in places that never had any before. The media really hasn't jumped on it since "official" investigations say that it's "inconclusive" that gas well drilling is the cause of these tremors. Common sense tells you that when you break up bedrock to get at pressurized gas...something is going to give eventually.

turbostud
11-05-2011, 11:06 PM
I was in Thackerville Ok at the Dwight Yoakum concert and heard some strange rumbling sounds while I was takin a leak.

Buckeye80
11-05-2011, 11:13 PM
It's all the fracking going on with gas wells.....quakes all over the country in places that never had any before. The media really hasn't jumped on it since "official" investigations say that it's "inconclusive" that gas well drilling is the cause of these tremors. Common sense tells you that when you break up bedrock to get at pressurized gas...something is going to give eventually.

Really???? I mean, really??? Lmao!!! The Barnette is responsible for this huh? Frac pressures are triple that in the Haynesville, and I have yet to hear of or experience any earthquake activity. However, I do know that aliens have been siphoning the water out of clouds over the midwest which led directly to the drought this year.
:clap::clap::clap:

"Hey Dan! You just feel that? Felt like a fraccin' earthquake!!" :)

jlwttu
11-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Now saying 5.6 on usgs site.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/usb0006klz.php

tex_male
11-05-2011, 11:18 PM
it's all the fracking going on with gas wells.....quakes all over the country in places that never had any before. The media really hasn't jumped on it since "official" investigations say that it's "inconclusive" that gas well drilling is the cause of these tremors. Common sense tells you that when you break up bedrock to get at pressurized gas...something is going to give eventually.

lmfao

Leopard4Life
11-05-2011, 11:19 PM
I definetely felt the bed shake, but I can't find anything on the local news or web. There was report on TV about an earthquake on Oklahoma (could have been LSU's fans ego's after the field goal kicking contest). It might have been a minor after shock.

Pendragon13
11-05-2011, 11:31 PM
Really???? I mean, really??? Lmao!!! The Barnette is responsible for this huh? Frac pressures are triple that in the Haynesville, and I have yet to hear of or experience any earthquake activity. However, I do know that aliens have been siphoning the water out of clouds over the midwest which led directly to the drought this year.
:clap::clap::clap:

"Hey Dan! You just feel that? Felt like a fraccin' earthquake!!" :)Coincidence that areas that have never recorded earthquakes (in modern history) are the same that have a large concentration of fracking wells? This was just the first thing that came up with a google search..but there is more out there. (sorry if you work in the industry)

While much of the concern about fracking relates to its impact on potable water supplies, other impacts include air pollution, wastewater disposal, industrialization of farm land, increased carbon dioxide emissions, and destruction of wildlife habitat from multi-pad fracking sites that can be as large as five square acres.

But there's another impact that is less well known.

Official written comments submitted to the EPA by the environmental group Natural Resources Defense Council asked that the EPA also "look at the potential for fracking to cause earthquakes." In 2009, the Wall Street Journal (June 12) called earthquakes "the natural gas industry's big fracking problem."

Texas' Barnett Shale

In north-central Texas, the Barnett Shale field has some 14,000 natural gas wells and at least 200 wastewater disposal injection wells. In recent years, a series of small, but measurable and felt earthquakes have hit Cleburne, Irving and the Dallas/Fort Worth area. The Fort Worth Business Press (June 10, 2009) stated: "It's clear the incidence of earthquakes has increased as Barnett Shale production increased during the past two decades."

Slick-water fracks were first introduced in the Barnett Shale field. Subsequently, the number of wells drilled in the area went from a yearly average of 73 in the late 1990s to 2,500 in 2007.

Dallas News (Nov. 1, 2008) interviewed John Ferguson, a geosciences professor at the University of Texas at Dallas, and reported: "Nobody knows exactly what causes a particular quake, Dr. Ferguson said. But it's possible that the recent increased drilling and extraction of natural gas from the Barnett Shale had an effect. The extraction process affects the fluid pressure deep inside the earth, which is the sort of thing that could nudge a nearby fault, he said. It's happened elsewhere."

Whole article here http://www.watershedsentinel.ca/content/does-gas-fracking-cause-earthquakes

1st and goal
11-05-2011, 11:36 PM
It was Bush's fault (line)....

Hey, the city of Baytown and surrounding area has sunk 2 feet or more since all the wells pulled the oil out decades ago.

BLACK ATTACK
11-05-2011, 11:58 PM
Coincidence that areas that have never recorded earthquakes (in modern history) are the same that have a large concentration of fracking wells? This was just the first thing that came up with a google search..but there is more out there. (sorry if you work in the industry)

While much of the concern about fracking relates to its impact on potable water supplies, other impacts include air pollution, wastewater disposal, industrialization of farm land, increased carbon dioxide emissions, and destruction of wildlife habitat from multi-pad fracking sites that can be as large as five square acres.

But there's another impact that is less well known.

Official written comments submitted to the EPA by the environmental group Natural Resources Defense Council asked that the EPA also "look at the potential for fracking to cause earthquakes." In 2009, the Wall Street Journal (June 12) called earthquakes "the natural gas industry's big fracking problem."

Texas' Barnett Shale

In north-central Texas, the Barnett Shale field has some 14,000 natural gas wells and at least 200 wastewater disposal injection wells. In recent years, a series of small, but measurable and felt earthquakes have hit Cleburne, Irving and the Dallas/Fort Worth area. The Fort Worth Business Press (June 10, 2009) stated: "It's clear the incidence of earthquakes has increased as Barnett Shale production increased during the past two decades."

Slick-water fracks were first introduced in the Barnett Shale field. Subsequently, the number of wells drilled in the area went from a yearly average of 73 in the late 1990s to 2,500 in 2007.

Dallas News (Nov. 1, 2008) interviewed John Ferguson, a geosciences professor at the University of Texas at Dallas, and reported: "Nobody knows exactly what causes a particular quake, Dr. Ferguson said. But it's possible that the recent increased drilling and extraction of natural gas from the Barnett Shale had an effect. The extraction process affects the fluid pressure deep inside the earth, which is the sort of thing that could nudge a nearby fault, he said. It's happened elsewhere."

Whole article here http://www.watershedsentinel.ca/content/does-gas-fracking-cause-earthquakes

You are a complete uneducated idiot, spouting off about things you don't know about or understand. Go find a tree to hug and a bike to ride. But, God forbid don't get in your petroleum powered vehicle or heat your home with natural gas.

bwdlionfan
11-06-2011, 12:05 AM
You are a complete uneducated idiot, spouting off about things you don't know about or understand. Go find a tree to hug and a bike to ride. But, God forbid don't get in your petroleum powered vehicle or heat your home with natural gas.

You're a little sensitive aren't ya?

Buckeye80
11-06-2011, 01:10 AM
Ok, look. Drilling a hole nine inches wide two miles below the surface of the earth does in no way affect the tectonics of the earth. It's not like anyone is drilling into the mantle of the earth. People have been drilling for oil and natural gas for 150 years in the Permian Basin, and only now do some geological crackpot scientists come forward and say, "Oh no. Poor Mother Earth is dying."

There are a lot of people in this country whose only contribution to society is measured in the number of mindless "sheep" they can convince to subscribe to their "sky is falling" Chicken Little scare tactics they employ in the name of "science". Don't believe everything you read. 99% of it is absolute horse crap dreamed up by some idiot who was instructed to "write a study on something this week" to justify his/her obscenely inflated salary which you and I pay.

D_bird
11-06-2011, 01:21 AM
This is just me... But I don't think fracking has anything to do with a 5.6 earthquake that was felt all the way into Illinois and Milwaukee, WI. Felt the shake here in Paradise, weird side to side shake for about 30 seconds. Slow, but very noticeable...

Pendragon13
11-06-2011, 02:53 AM
You're a little sensitive aren't ya?He either thinks I'm an eco-nazi (far from it actually) or he works in the industry and is tired of people saying they're ruining the environment. I have friends who work in the oil/gas industry....and off the record they admit there probably is a connection between fracking and previously dormant fault lines sudddenly becoming active.

buckeyebob
11-06-2011, 04:06 AM
It was uproar when Carthage & Henderson fans realized that the Buckeyes are the undefeated 16-3A Champion!! Idiots!!

1st and goal
11-06-2011, 07:08 AM
It was uproar when Carthage & Henderson fans realized that the Buckeyes are the undefeated 16-3A Champion!! Idiots!!

:clap: