PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Ducks v Wimberley Texans

Sportshack
11-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Game will be played in Marble Falls on Friday. What is the story on the Ducks. What type of offense as allowed them to score so many points lately after having a rough start to season?

LHPfactory
11-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Game will be played in Marble Falls on Friday. What is the story on the Ducks. What type of offense as allowed them to score so many points lately after having a rough start to season?

Slot-T , they have speed to go with it. Yall should be familiar with that offense, some team on the west end of Williamson county used to use it against you guys.... I think their colors were purple and gold, maybe there was some sort of rivalry with them and wimberley..... :)

wimbo_pro
11-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Slot-T , they have speed to go with it. Yall should be familiar with that offense, some team on the west end of Williamson county used to use it against you guys.... I think their colors were purple and gold, maybe there was some sort of rivalry with them and wimberley..... :)

Slot T???? ARRRGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

LHPfactory
11-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Slot T???? ARRRGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Lampasas also runs it too.

Dont know what wimberley D is like this year but in all the years the code red of 05 was the most successful at stopping it, and that was when LH was racking up 500 to 600 yards per game

wimbo_pro
11-05-2011, 06:54 PM

Dont know what wimberley D is like this year but in all the years the code red of 05 was the most successful at stopping it, and that was when LH was racking up 500 to 600 yards per game

You are correct sir!!! Actually, I have no fear of the Slot-T anymore...unless LH '06, '07, '08 is running it. Other than that...we will defeat any attempt to run it against us.

BLEEDZGREEN
11-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Their QB that started the season got hurt the game before Burnet and the backup is more of an accurate passer when they throw it if he's still starting, the starter #7 is not very accurate but can run it. They have a few good atheletes but their defense is not that good @ all, they are dirty so keep your head on a swivel.

Gone Fishing
11-05-2011, 08:59 PM

Wimberley D of 2011 may be code something but (my opinion) every bit as good and deep as 05 code red and Our coaches have seen so much slot-t for so many years they defend it very very well. So what I'm saying is, a team that runs it better have a number of really good players to move it on them all game and score enough points to win.

wimbo_pro
11-05-2011, 10:45 PM
Wimberley D of 2011 may be code something but (my opinion) every bit as good and deep as 05 code red and Our coaches have seen so much slot-t for so many years they defend it very very well. So what I'm saying is, a team that runs it better have a number of really good players to move it on them all game and score enough points to win.

I dont think our D is "code red" yet...but they can see it from where they are at. If they keep improving, then possibly. We are missing that huge presence in the middle that Biddle offered in 05.

Sportshack
11-06-2011, 09:54 AM
I dont think our D is "code red" yet...but they can see it from where they are at. If they keep improving, then possibly. We are missing that huge presence in the middle that Biddle offered in 05.

I agree this defense is right behind the 05 defense. I think Alana and Mann do a fantastic job in the middle of defense. Alana is a big, intelligent kid and Mann is everywhere with an attitude. I like him better that other ILB in 05. I am a fan of the 05 secondary...very fast...strong playmakers across board. Heck on the rare times they used a 2nd safety they brought in Ricky Beatty a kid that is also a fast playmaker (still playing college ball).

This group is really good however.

wimbo_pro
11-06-2011, 10:03 AM
I agree this defense is right behind the 05 defense. I think Alana and Mann do a fantastic job in the middle of defense. Alana is a big, intelligent kid and Mann is everywhere with an attitude. I like him better that other ILB in 05. I am a fan of the 05 secondary...very fast...strong playmakers across board. Heck on the rare times they used a 2nd safety they brought in Ricky Beatty a kid that is also a fast playmaker (still playing college ball).

This group is really good however.

Have you seen stats on our D to date?

Sportshack
11-06-2011, 10:09 AM

I always tell folks when we find we are playing Slot T team that our coaches are really proficient at dealing with that offense because we had to play it year in and year out against LH at all levels. Also Llano ran the slot T for years and was also in our district. Heck we even went against Navarro in some sub varsity games and they ran slot T. LH teams during 05 thru 08 run were amazing. Outstanding linemen and great backs. The 05 WHS defense was just unreal. Strangely enough...these days we owe LH and Llano some gratitude for making us tough against the Slot T. I think that offense is hard on teams not used to playing it. I am glad to hear that Taylor runs it. However, putting up 50 on a Lampasas team that held LH to 17 (I think) gives one pause. Of course y'all crushed Taylor so who knows.

wimbo_pro
11-06-2011, 10:21 AM
I always tell folks when we find we are playing Slot T team that our coaches are really proficient at dealing with that offense because we had to play it year in and year out against LH at all levels. Also Llano ran the slot T for years and was also in our district. Heck we even went against Navarro in some sub varsity games and they ran slot T. LH teams during 05 thru 08 run were amazing. Outstanding linemen and great backs. The 05 WHS defense was just unreal. Strangely enough...these days we owe LH and Llano some gratitude for making us tough against the Slot T. I think that offense is hard on teams not used to playing it. I am glad to hear that Taylor runs it. However, putting up 50 on a Lampasas team that held LH to 17 (I think) gives one pause. Of course y'all crushed Taylor so who knows.

True Sportshack, I do not fear the Slot T because of our past experiences with it. But in this game...this year...I think Taylor needs to be VERY concerned about stopping our offense. Without a program of LH-talent level, the Slot T wont be able to keep up on the score board, even if our Defense collapses. Our offense will keep them off the field. Too much talent, too many options on Offense, too tough of a defense against a well known scheme...all bode badly for Taylor.

Sportshack
11-06-2011, 10:26 AM
:)
True Sportshack, I do not fear the Slot T because of our past experiences with it. But in this game...this year...I think Taylor needs to be VERY concerned about stopping our offense. Without a program of LH-talent level, the Slot T wont be able to keep up on the score board, even if our Defense collapses. Our offense will keep them off the field. Too much talent, too many options on Offense, too tough of a defense against a well known scheme...all bode badly for Taylor.

All good points and in my heart of hearts I agree with you 100%. Just worried about the very human propensity to say oh the Ducks are 3-7 and no biggie and come out flat. They put up 50 points against a Lampasas team that held LH to 17 the week before. WTH? The bottom line is that I am a worrier...you know...a belt and suspender type guy.:) DA da da daaaaah...GO TEXANS!!!!!

LHPfactory
11-06-2011, 10:30 AM

Its hard to judge what one team does to another and go by that, LH beat the heck out of.... I believe it was bandera in 05 and Wimberley had a much closer game. By that alone you would think LH was gonna win, LH led Wimberley into the 4th quarter that year but ended up loosing.

Lampasas played a great game against LH for the district championship, dont know how Taylor was able to put up that many points against that defense. Could have been a let off by Lampasas after winning the big game the week before, however, I truely dont know. The play offs will tell the true story.

Dont see Wimberley having any big problems with Taylor, I will say something has happened in their offense since the middle of the season though.

wimbo_pro
11-06-2011, 10:32 AM
:)

All good points and in my heart of hearts I agree with you 100%. Just worried about the very human propensity to say oh the Ducks are 3-7 and no biggie and come out flat. They put up 50 points against a Lampasas team that held LH to 17 the week before. WTH? The bottom line is that I am a worrier...you know...a belt and suspender type guy.:) DA da da daaaaah...GO TEXANS!!!!!

Of course I am tingling inside with anticipation too...and with some fear as well. "Win or Go Home" always does that, which is what makes the play offs so exciting. But as far as the "stars aligning" for the Texans...it appears that is indeed happening, at least in the initial phases of aligning. All we need to do is execute like we have in the last few weeks, and its a win. Then, we just have to get better each week. Thats the key to the SC...get better each week. We do this, and we will be a force similar to '05.

Gone Fishing
11-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Have you seen stats on our D to date?

I have seen the stats for this year and looked at the 05 stats and this D is quietly putting up the same numbers.

I loved Biddle and some of the other D players in 05 too, but think when healthy Alana close to if not equal to him and Mann is just a man in there every play. We have a good secondary but just not quite as fast and Texans front guys may be better. All and all very equal to 05 IMO. Our offense can compare to 05, but they probably were alittle more smooth running it and had a better O line.

HSFB
11-06-2011, 05:19 PM

Hey, I get that everyone is entitled to their opinion but I strongly disagree with the comment that this D is not code red qualified.

This year’s version of Code Red is statistically every bit as good as the 05 version. Through 10 games the 05 D allowed 10pts per game, this year’s squad has allowed 12 and that is with playing Seals-Jones & Henshaw type of guys and a very competitive 4A team and without the luxury of getting to face off against the Brady and Ingrams of the world. We have noticeably taken our foot off the accelerator to close out many of these games as well. You can also factor in that this team has not snuck up on anyone as they have been rated 2 or 3 in the state all year long and has taken every teams best shot.

In addition, this has been accomplished with a rash of injuries to SIGNIFICANT D contributors along the way in Gray, Blakemore, Smith Alana, Fonville missing large chunks of time. We are not talking just all-district type of guys but all-state level. You factor in those guys 100% of the time throughout the season and the other variables that I've mentioned and you would have the most impressive regular season D that this school has ever seen. In fact, I already rate this years D regular season performanc as one of the if not the best in school history.

So I’m all for the fun comparison debates and stuff but to say this squad is not Code Red worthy at this time could not be further than the truth.

Manso/V8
11-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Keep this stuff coming......I really enjoy observing your circle of self-love!

wimbo_pro
11-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Hey, I get that everyone is entitled to their opinion but I strongly disagree with the comment that this D is not code red qualified.

This year’s version of Code Red is statistically every bit as good as the 05 version. Through 10 games the 05 D allowed 10pts per game, this year’s squad has allowed 12 and that is with playing Seals-Jones & Henshaw type of guys and a very competitive 4A team and without the luxury of getting to face off against the Brady and Ingrams of the world. We have noticeably taken our foot off the accelerator to close out many of these games as well. You can also factor in that this team has not snuck up on anyone as they have been rated 2 or 3 in the state all year long and has taken every teams best shot.

In addition, this has been accomplished with a rash of injuries to SIGNIFICANT D contributors along the way in Gray, Blakemore, Smith Alana, Fonville missing large chunks of time. We are not talking just all-district type of guys but all-state level. You factor in those guys 100% of the time throughout the season and the other variables that I've mentin and you would have the most impressive regular season D that this school has ever seen.

So I’m all for the fun comparison debates and stuff but to say this squad is not Code Red worthy at this time could not be further than the truth.

Wow...very good analysis and comparison. Thanks for putting it into perspective for me. All very pertinent points for us to consider. Of course, I need to point out that I personally didnt say they weren't Code Red worthy...I said they can see it from where they are at...close but not there yet. If we improve each game, we just might have something here!!!

gold_33
11-06-2011, 07:37 PM
I think our D is good but no way as good yet as the 05 team, look at the turnovers forced and defensive TD's scored in 05. That 05 D could win a game when the O was struggling and I dont think this years team could. Now injuries have hurt them a lot and if we can get the majority of the guys back for the playoffs then i think we will see their full potential. I dont see Taylor stopping our offense this week, they may score some but I dont think they can keep up with us. I dont think we will have Blakemore back this week but should have Alana which will help in stopping the running game. Any word on Gray?? He should be getting fairly close to returning, its been 6 weeks since his injury.

LHPfactory
11-06-2011, 08:03 PM

In addition, this has been accomplished with a rash of injuries to SIGNIFICANT D contributors along the way in Gray, Blakemore, Smith Alana, Fonville missing large chunks of time. We are not talking just all-district type of guys but all-state level. You factor in those guys 100% of the time throughout the season and the other variables that I've mentioned and you would have the most impressive regular season D that this school has ever seen. In fact, I already rate this years D regular season performanc as one of the if not the best in school history.

05 D actually only allowed 9 points per game and thats exactly what we/LH scored...... I remember it because I left Panther stadium and watched the news and the showed the score board with 9 points and commented on how that is what Wimberley allowed for the season.... Dont think your current D would have held the Kocubia and crew to 9 points, of offense.

wimbo_pro
11-06-2011, 08:06 PM
05 D actually only allowed 9 points per game and thats exactly what we/LH scored...... I remember it because I left Panther stadium and watched the news and the showed the score board with 9 points and commented on how that is what Wimberley allowed for the season.... Dont think your current D would have held the Kocubia and crew to 9 points, of offense.

Agreed. But they ARE improving each game, so I see hope.

HSFB
11-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Wow...very good analysis and comparison. Thanks for putting it into perspective for me. All very pertinent points for us to consider. Of course, I need to point out that I personally didnt say they weren't Code Red worthy...I said they can see it from where they are at...close but not there yet. If we improve each game, we just might have something here!!!

yep & this is just fun chatter among us fans & as you know, I have a dog in the hunt so I tend to be overly passionate at times. That being said, I am a huge fan of the program and do my best to stay objective as possible when engaged in these topics.

I have also noticed that this "objectivity" is usualy swayed somewhat by who had a dog in the hunt during the always fun 05 vs 11 debate. The people that I know had direct ties to 05 post in that direction and vice a versa.

The real season starts this week and once again we will be less than full strength but that appears to be a status quo that we will have to keep overcoming.

If healthy, and Gray was already a big loss, but if we can get the injured guys back then I do not think there is a team in 3A Div II who can beat this team.

HSFB
11-06-2011, 08:20 PM

ok, I'll keep playing and in my opinion, yes they would have pitched a shutout vs this Kocubia that you speak of however it would have only been through 3 quarters as LH would have walked off the field for the 4th due to unfair competitive advantage :) . Oh, and the 05 D allowed exactly 100 points during the regular season and that breaks down to 10 pts per game so you cannot use LH math in this argument........and I bet that you had a direct tie to that LH club as well.

Tejastrue
11-06-2011, 08:34 PM

If you want to get down to the nitty gritty..take away the Cuero score (punt return), the int TD return by Fredericksburg and then the safety by DS then the number is at 11.2. Does this sound about right?

wimbo_pro
11-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Keep this stuff coming......I really enjoy observing your circle of self-love!

I say we "circle" Manso and introduce him to just how much of "jerks" we can be.

Tejastrue
11-06-2011, 09:01 PM
I say we "circle" Manso and introduce him to just how much of "jerks" we can be.

Sounds good to me...Manso tends to come on strong and then fades... then suddenly shows up again with a little bit of sugar coating... my question is..if we don't show ourselves some love who's gonna..certainly not him or our good friends in Sealy...the LH people are certainly out of the mix...

wimbo_pro
11-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Sounds good to me...Manso tends to come on strong and then fades... then suddenly shows up again with a little bit of sugar coating... my question is..if we don't show ourselves some love who's gonna..certainly not him or our good friends in Sealy...the LH people are certainly out of the mix...

Yeah...I kinda miss those tough LH/Wimbo days. Some die hards on both sides!

snaxet
11-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Comparisons are fine but the one part of the equation that can never be measured is heart, desire and determination. The 2005 team had all of those qualities and as I watch this year's team, I have to say they are making a believer out of me. I saw that championship caliber heart, desire and determination when we played Canyon Lake, Navarro and especially this last week against Boerne. When you look at this year's defense, they are really beginning to understand what it means to be headhunters. They play all out, swarm to the ball, but hit as hard as any Wimberley team I have seen, and I have seen them all. The hit that Davis Holliman put on Number 5 during the first series was brutal. Number 5 felt that hit the rest of the night. There were those kinds of punishing hits throughout the night. Physical, punishing type defenses win championships, and hopefully, the 2011 Code Red defense will carry that with them from game to game. The one difference that we will not know until we go further into the playoffs is whether they will be willing to prepare to the level that the 2005 team prepared. That is one aspect of that team that impressed me, in particular Biddles and Buse. They watched film until they knew the opponents offensive scheme as well as the opposing offense did. They could react so fast because they knew the tendencies and recognized the play before the handoff. That could be the one difference between the two teams. We will just have to wait and see. This year's team is very talented and one that can run the table if they can stay injury free, focus on one game at a time, prepare as though it were the championship game and play lights out each play. You can thow out the 3-7 record because it is a new season and everyone is 0-0 right now. Coach Nelms and his staff will have them ready to play. Duck season is officially open.

lbjacj
11-06-2011, 09:38 PM
The hit that Davis Holliman put on Number 5 during the first series was brutal. Number 5 felt that hit the rest of the night.

He had a couple more slobberknockers in Fridays game.The whole team was laying the wood but he stood out in my mind!

L.B.J.

snaxet
11-06-2011, 09:56 PM
He had a couple more slobberknockers in Fridays game.The whole team was laying the wood but he stood out in my mind!

L.B.J.

Yes he had several great hits. The comeback hit on the kickoff in the second half was also brutal. I did not know who made that one but it was an "oh my gosh" kind of a hit. Glad to see the Boerne player finally get up. Does anyone know why Amick was pulled so early in the game. Hopeful he did not get injured; I assume that the Coach just wanted him healthy for the playoffs.

lbjacj
11-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Everyone needs to practice before Friday. Here's an instructional video to help you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRcMsnMeZbI&NR=1

wimbo_pro
11-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Everyone needs to practice before Friday. Here's an instructional video to help you...

LOLOL...nice!

rb585
11-06-2011, 10:42 PM
I think our D is good but no way as good yet as the 05 team, look at the turnovers forced and defensive TD's scored in 05. That 05 D could win a game when the O was struggling and I dont think this years team could. Now injuries have hurt them a lot and if we can get the majority of the guys back for the playoffs then i think we will see their full potential.

I don't have a dog in the fight, and I agree with this.

Everyone knew coming into 05 that our D was the strength. Buse was only a junior and Weldon wasn't great, so it was on the D, and they did it. This year, the offense has helped out a lot more.

The 05 defense was amazingly talented. The guy who I thought was the weakest link lead the state in interceptions. Pretty sure he had more INTS than the entire D does this season.

That said, this D has really stepped it up the last three games. I think Alana could be Biddle's equal. I think the D-line play might even be better than '05. I would love to get everyone back and healthy and have them answer the debate in the playoffs.

wimbo_pro
11-06-2011, 10:45 PM

Everyone knew coming into 05 that our D was the strength. Buse was only a junior and Weldon wasn't great, so it was on the D, and they did it. This year, the offense has helped out a lot more.

The 05 defense was amazingly talented. The guy who I thought was the weakest link lead the state in interceptions. Pretty sure he had more INTS than the entire D does this season.

That said, this D has really stepped it up the last three games. I think Alana could be Biddle's equal. I think the D-line play might even be better than '05. I would love to get everyone back and healthy and have them answer the debate in the playoffs.

If our D improves again next week...then again the following (as all championship teams do in the play offs), we wont lose in Region play.

Gone Fishing
11-06-2011, 10:51 PM

I agree with you 100% HSFB, This D is just what I said it would be back in my August posts. Go CODE RED'er. Yes I do mean red'er. That is a word, isn't it?

wimbo_pro
11-06-2011, 10:57 PM
Nm..

BLEEDZGREEN
11-07-2011, 09:27 AM
I'm going to come check out this game since it's nearby.

Sportshack
11-07-2011, 01:18 PM
I think our D is good but no way as good yet as the 05 team, look at the turnovers forced and defensive TD's scored in 05. That 05 D could win a game when the O was struggling and I dont think this years team could. Now injuries have hurt them a lot and if we can get the majority of the guys back for the playoffs then i think we will see their full potential. I dont see Taylor stopping our offense this week, they may score some but I dont think they can keep up with us. I dont think we will have Blakemore back this week but should have Alana which will help in stopping the running game. Any word on Gray?? He should be getting fairly close to returning, its been 6 weeks since his injury.

As I understand it, Gray is done for season. He is supposed to be back about a month before baseball kicks off. I heard that Guidry will be out at DT for most of playoffs. I noted Fonville not playing in 2nd half and looking dejected. Looks like 2 starters out on D-line this week. Reserve DT's have been getting some good playying time last few weeks and hopefully that will pay off. They are both good sized kids but not likely as quick as Fonville and Guidry. Oldmixon got back last week so still should be able to handle load agaisnt Taylor.

Sportshack
11-07-2011, 01:27 PM

Yep Dyer ahd 11 interceptions through 15 games. Also, Marberger had 9 through 15 games. That does not count the int's from safety Tommy Bennett. This year's interception leader is Alden Mann at ILB with 3. I recall 2 for Jones, 1 for Holliman, 1 for Blakemore, 1 for Cade Davis, 1 for Cameron Morris. Important to note that CAmeron Morris was playing OLB. The 20 interceptions talked about above came from 2 cornerbacks. Wow. Of course, the '11 sqaud has has only played 9 games and most of the teams did not throw that much. Cannot know for sure why the 05 secondary had so many interceptions. I think it was their outstanding speed and playmaking ability.

wimbo_pro
11-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Yep Dyer ahd 11 interceptions through 15 games. Also, Marberger had 9 through 15 games. That does not count the int's from safety Tommy Bennett. This year's interception leader is Alden Mann at ILB with 3. I recall 2 for Jones, 1 for Holliman, 1 for Blakemore, 1 for Cade Davis, 1 for Cameron Morris. Of course, they have only played 9 games and most of the teams did not throw that much. Cannot know for sure why the 05 secondary had so many interceptions. I think it was their outstanding speed and playmaking ability.

Pressure on the QB had a lot to do with it. We haven't been real good all year at pressure...until the last few games. I have seen great improvement, which is typical of Coach Smith and typical of teams with play off experience. Again, this improvement in D is the biggest reason I am so bullish on the Texans this year...but still not Code Red level. They will have to earn that title in the next few games before I will give it to them.

Sportshack
11-07-2011, 03:09 PM

That is really good information to consider.

The Texans have played 6 playoff level teams this year (I am including the 8-2 Canyon Lake squad). In that group is a 7-3 4A squad in Dripping Springs. The Texans gave up an average of 14.8 points a game against those teams. In addition, if memory serves me correctly...they gave up TD to Navarro, Boerne, and LaVernia late when reserves were in game. The 05 Texans gave up 11.6 points a game in their 5 playoff games including 29 points against WO-S. The 11 Texans have yet to write this chapter but I could see them faring just as well. The comparison will be fun. Of course the 05 offense averaged 45.8 points a game in playoffs and and that helped a lot. This year's squad is averaging 40 points a game. Darn these are both excellent football teams.

Purple Rain
11-07-2011, 04:20 PM

There's 1:22 of my life I wish I had back

Tell us (LH fans) what to expect from Navarro

ogg
11-07-2011, 05:09 PM
How do you score 50 points and still lose? Taylor's D sucks.

Roughneck93
11-07-2011, 05:31 PM
I don't see the Texans struggling at all in this one.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-07-2011, 05:45 PM
How do you score 50 points and still lose? Taylor's D sucks.Taylor Ducks Believe!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-p8bOoFlPo

Sportshack
11-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Taylor Ducks Believe!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-p8bOoFlPo

SintonFan...now that was a very cheesy attempt at an inspirational salvo! Now we have to worry that the the Ducks will get swept up in the sentiment!

wimbo_pro
11-07-2011, 06:15 PM
There's 1:22 of my life I wish I had back

Tell us (LH fans) what to expect from Navarro

You can expect a team that won't quit, and will keep in your face the whole game. They aren't especially big or fast, but they have discipline and heart. They are well coached, but predictable. Then again, so was LH in 06/07/08 and few could stop them. In other words, you are looking at a smaller version of yourself, so expect some trick plays that you would run on yourself if....ok, this just got complicated.

Purple Rain
11-07-2011, 06:48 PM
You can expect a team that won't quit, and will keep in your face the whole game. They aren't especially big or fast, but they have discipline and heart. They are well coached, but predictable. Then again, so was LH in 06/07/08 and few could stop them. In other words, you are looking at a smaller version of yourself, so expect some trick plays that you would run on yourself if....ok, this just got complicated.

Thanks wimbo...

"Where's the beef?" LH has no size to speak of either but plenty of quickness on both sides of the ball. LH defense is stout against the run but the offense has struggled to put up points (just 17 against Lampasas) at times. I felt Navarro executed the slot-t better than we did when we met in bi-district last season so this one should be interesting.

solocam
11-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Wimberly beats Taylor by 35

Gone Fishing
11-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Pressure on the QB had a lot to do with it. We haven't been real good all year at pressure...until the last few games. I have seen great improvement, which is typical of Coach Smith and typical of teams with play off experience. Again, this improvement in D is the biggest reason I am so bullish on the Texans this year...but still not Code Red level. They will have to earn that title in the next few games before I will give it to them.

5092 post, but sorry you are wrong wimbo-pro! I believe a big reason 11 doesnt have as near as many INT's is because-

A) The teams we have played for the most part don't throw
B) Our pressure on the qb when they do try is flat out amazing

You don't want to give them code red yet fine, I give them code red 'er (more red than 05)

gold_33
11-07-2011, 10:17 PM
5092 post, but sorry you are wrong wimbo-pro! I believe a big reason 11 doesnt have as near as many INT's is because-

You don't want to give them code red yet fine, I give them code red 'er (more red than 05)

The '05 code red team has a ring so right now you cant compare them. Unless this years team gets one then there is no comparison no matter how good you think they are. I watched every game in 05 and every one this year and this years D is not the code red of 05, they are good dont get me wrong but '05 there were no weaknesses and this year I think a good passing team will give us fits. I think we have the potential to be just as good but until they get that ring then no one can say they are better.

HSFB
11-08-2011, 12:54 AM
That is really good information to consider.

The Texans have played 6 playoff level teams this year (I am including the 8-2 Canyon Lake squad). In that group is a 7-3 4A squad in Dripping Springs. The Texans gave up an average of 14.8 points a game against those teams. In addition, if memory serves me correctly...they gave up TD to Navarro, Boerne, and LaVernia late when reserves were in game. The 05 Texans gave up 11.6 points a game in their 5 playoff games including 29 points against WO-S. The 11 Texans have yet to write this chapter but I could see them faring just as well. The comparison will be fun. Of course the 05 offense averaged 45.8 points a game in playoffs and and that helped a lot. This year's squad is averaging 40 points a game. Darn these are both excellent football teams.

I actually wish I would not have gone down the comparison path as it has been absolutely wore out and then some….ad nauseam..ugh. I only used it as a reference point as most Texan fans on this board instantly identify with the state champs and rightfully so. What a great group of young men that accomplished the ultimate prize.

It’s just that the statement that this D this year is not Code Red yet kind of threw me to say the least so I had to at least present an argument.

wimbo_pro
11-08-2011, 01:22 AM

OK Gone Fishing...lets just agree that we need to see improvement from here on out, because even the 05 defense got better with each play off game. But until they win it all, they are NOT as good!! LOL

Manso/V8
11-08-2011, 02:45 AM

wimbo_pro had to go and make a messy comment......quit being so sensitive. Yall are taking me the wrong way........I'm just a smart aleck and don't mean any harm. I don't purposely come on strong and then fade, or try to sugar coat things. Yall are awesome. I am amazed/impressed (at times amused) at the high level of interest and support, the depth of knowledge, and honest analysis that comes out of the back and forth between Wimberley posters. This obviously isn't your first rodeo. I haven't seen a Wimberley game, but have seen the Texans in 7on7, watched some team and individual highlights on youtube, seen some game film, and for the most part I think the Wimberley posters are right. The Texans are really good. I just don't know enough about the teams you have played, other than Sealy, to really know how you will stack up in later rounds. I think yall are rightfully confident, and rarely cocky......far from the 2010 Brownwood posters. I would really enjoy the chance to be head to head with yall and do some high intensity smack talking, but that isn't likely. I started following the story the week before the Sealy game and it seems like things are lining up well for WHS this year, especially with the injured playmakers coming back.......it has been like reading a good book. I'm motivated enough to make a drive and catch one of your playoff games......maybe the one at Jerryworld. I'm a fan.
Best of luck.

Now here comes some things to flack back at.....correct me if I'm wrong. From the game film I have seen, it doesn't seem to me that you see the same speed and quickness in your part of the state as we see in almost all the games over this way. Even most of the weaker teams we play have a couple of freakish athletes. An overall solid team will beat those teams that rely on just a couple of guys, the problem comes when a pretty good team has a couple of those "thangs".....perhaps why Sealy was your toughest game this year........and I'm concerned that might be an issue/vulnerability for WHS from some talents deeper in Region IV or when a team like Coldspring or similar emerges from Region III. Wimberley is a solid team, well coached, great execution, and it seems like your players are in great shape, some may have even spent time and parents' money for football camps, perhaps even private coaching, to get all they can out of the genetic cards they were dealt, and that is great......be all you can be.....Wimberley is like the Katy of 3A. On the other hand, you can't coach speed and without calling out names, some of the Texan players yall rave about don't appear to be All-State level player or next level guys. That may not matter though, they are darn good 3A high school players, and in the end, if Wimberley executes like they are capable of executing, they may just take home the SC.

As far as Code Red defense, that is an internal family thing, and I can appreciate that. We like to call our stellar defensive teams Red Storm. It is hard to compare year-to-year because the opponents are different, etc. We gave up 81 points this year in 10 games, but that doesn't mean anything. Nonetheless, I guess we could call them a Red Storm defense, or maybe the Red Swarm because that is a more accurate description this year. Anyway, in the spirit of analysis and comparison and just for grins, not saying our defense is anything close to the WHS defense, I thought it would be fun to compare the Wimberley defensive efforts against Sealy to the Bellville defensive efforts against Sealy.......since they are a common opponent in the same year and yall are familiar with them. I grabbed these stats from earlier threads, they may not be perfect, but they do tell a story.......I think we held Seals-Jones to 80 yds rushing and Davis to about 35 yds rushing, of course those include some solo tackles for losses on both of them. Do you think we would qualify for Code Red, at least in this one game against Sealy?

Sealy vs Wimberley: FD's 22, Rush yds 338, Pass yds 108, Total yds 446, Points 27
Sealy vs Bellville: FD's 13, Rush yds 135, Pass yds 103, Total yds 238, Points 18

Then again, I guess it really doesn't matter, you beat Sealy, and we lost to Sealy...........

I_DONT_CARE
11-08-2011, 07:59 AM
DUCKS WILL GET THE QUACK BEAT OUT OF THEM. :rolleyes:

Gone Fishing
11-08-2011, 08:28 AM
The '05 code red team has a ring so right now you cant compare them. Unless this years team gets one then there is no comparison no matter how good you think they are. I watched every game in 05 and every one this year and this years D is not the code red of 05, they are good dont get me wrong but '05 there were no weaknesses and this year I think a good passing team will give us fits. I think we have the potential to be just as good but until they get that ring then no one can say they are better.

OK Gone Fishing...lets just agree that we need to see improvement from here on out, because even the 05 defense got better with each play off game. But until they win it all, they are NOT as good!! LOL

Fair enough guys, bottom line is we are all wanting the same thing. Lets hope they improve as well as the offense keeps improving every week. No reason to take the Ducks lightly either. Its a new season. I do think we should take care of them though

wimbo_pro
11-08-2011, 10:35 AM
Manso...thats pretty impressive defense against Sealy, I gotta admit. And you are right, we dont have overwhelming, blazing speed. We have a couple who are top-tier speed (middle of the pack top-tier), and the rest follow at varying degrees. But here is the deal..they (the defense) are "football fast". Quick. This was the hallmark of the 05 Code Red. Very very quick, smart and football savvy. I think thats the best way to describe it.

wimbo_pro
11-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Fair enough guys, bottom line is we are all wanting the same thing. Lets hope they improve as well as the offense keeps improving every week. No reason to take the Ducks lightly either. Its a new season. I do think we should take care of them though

Agreed, Gone Fishing....improvement each game, concentration, focus. If we do this, we WILL get through the Region.

Manso/V8
11-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Manso...thats pretty impressive defense against Sealy, I gotta admit. And you are right, we dont have overwhelming, blazing speed. We have a couple who are top-tier speed (middle of the pack top-tier), and the rest follow at varying degrees. But here is the deal..they (the defense) are "football fast". Quick. This was the hallmark of the 05 Code Red. Very very quick, smart and football savvy. I think thats the best way to describe it.

For the record, I was in Houston yesterday and stopped at Goode Co. bbq and had their barbequed/smoked duck plate in honor of your game this Friday!

wimbo_pro
11-08-2011, 12:34 PM
For the record, I was in Houston yesterday and stopped at Goode Co. bbq and had their barbequed/smoked duck plate in honor of your game this Friday!

There ya go....they're as good as cooked!! LOL (settle down guys..its a joke)

Tejastrue
11-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Manso...we get this year in and year out with the talk about our players and how they do not have elite speed and we can't hang because of that...they say that...until they play us. As far as the Sealy game (here we go again)...yeah, sometimes the offense needs to score more (Wim = 4 tds) to (Bell.= td + fg) in order to win. I can tell you that the Sealy folk look at our game with a "signature win" mentality and play it like it's the SC game. I doubt if they take the same approach when playing you guys..thus the letdown. As far as our defense..I'm really not into the comparison thing of years past. It's nice and all that but I'm a "just win" sort of guy although it is always nice to do it with style and make a statement...

Sportshack
11-08-2011, 01:31 PM
wimbo_pro had to go and make a messy comment......quit being so sensitive. Yall are taking me the wrong way........I'm just a smart aleck and don't mean any harm. I don't purposely come on strong and then fade, or try to sugar coat things. Yall are awesome. I am amazed/impressed (at times amused) at the high level of interest and support, the depth of knowledge, and honest analysis that comes out of the back and forth between Wimberley posters. This obviously isn't your first rodeo. I haven't seen a Wimberley game, but have seen the Texans in 7on7, watched some team and individual highlights on youtube, seen some game film, and for the most part I think the Wimberley posters are right. The Texans are really good. I just don't know enough about the teams you have played, other than Sealy, to really know how you will stack up in later rounds. I think yall are rightfully confident, and rarely cocky......far from the 2010 Brownwood posters. I would really enjoy the chance to be head to head with yall and do some high intensity smack talking, but that isn't likely. I started following the story the week before the Sealy game and it seems like things are lining up well for WHS this year, especially with the injured playmakers coming back.......it has been like reading a good book. I'm motivated enough to make a drive and catch one of your playoff games......maybe the one at Jerryworld. I'm a fan.
Best of luck.

Now here comes some things to flack back at.....correct me if I'm wrong. From the game film I have seen, it doesn't seem to me that you see the same speed and quickness in your part of the state as we see in almost all the games over this way. Even most of the weaker teams we play have a couple of freakish athletes. An overall solid team will beat those teams that rely on just a couple of guys, the problem comes when a pretty good team has a couple of those "thangs".....perhaps why Sealy was your toughest game this year........and I'm concerned that might be an issue/vulnerability for WHS from some talents deeper in Region IV or when a team like Coldspring or similar emerges from Region III. Wimberley is a solid team, well coached, great execution, and it seems like your players are in great shape, some may have even spent time and parents' money for football camps, perhaps even private coaching, to get all they can out of the genetic cards they were dealt, and that is great......be all you can be.....Wimberley is like the Katy of 3A. On the other hand, you can't coach speed and without calling out names, some of the Texan players yall rave about don't appear to be All-State level player or next level guys. That may not matter though, they are darn good 3A high school players, and in the end, if Wimberley executes like they are capable of executing, they may just take home the SC.

As far as Code Red defense, that is an internal family thing, and I can appreciate that. We like to call our stellar defensive teams Red Storm. It is hard to compare year-to-year because the opponents are different, etc. We gave up 81 points this year in 10 games, but that doesn't mean anything. Nonetheless, I guess we could call them a Red Storm defense, or maybe the Red Swarm because that is a more accurate description this year. Anyway, in the spirit of analysis and comparison and just for grins, not saying our defense is anything close to the WHS defense, I thought it would be fun to compare the Wimberley defensive efforts against Sealy to the Bellville defensive efforts against Sealy.......since they are a common opponent in the same year and yall are familiar with them. I grabbed these stats from earlier threads, they may not be perfect, but they do tell a story.......I think we held Seals-Jones to 80 yds rushing and Davis to about 35 yds rushing, of course those include some solo tackles for losses on both of them. Do you think we would qualify for Code Red, at least in this one game against Sealy?

Sealy vs Wimberley: FD's 22, Rush yds 338, Pass yds 108, Total yds 446, Points 27
Sealy vs Bellville: FD's 13, Rush yds 135, Pass yds 103, Total yds 238, Points 18

Then again, I guess it really doesn't matter, you beat Sealy, and we lost to Sealy...........

Very good analysis and thoughts. The Texans have a significant amount of scrappy, talented 3A high school football players and are well coached. Team speed at the skill positions is not other wordly but good enough for competition faced thus far. Only a couple of guys that routinely run 4.5's. One of them was clocked once in upper 4.4's but that could be a stop watch thing on that given day. The front 7 or 8 depending on alignment have very good quickness...more so than most defensive fronts.

We have also had one of our real burners out and then the other lately. It definitley gets tougher the deeper one goes in playoffs. And speed defininitely makes a difference. It did last year against Coldspring. Their elite speed RB broke 2 TD long runs that really made a huge difference in game. The fact that our secondary last year did not have elite speed for the most part made a big difference. Then again...we did not see such speed until the semi finals and I am talking about serious burner stuff. Neither Davis or Seals-Jones fit into that kid's category although they are fast and very talented. Seals-Jones just sort of broke down Wimberley in 4th quarter in particular. He made numerous plays where he should have been corralled.

Bellville's team sounds like a serious group of athletes and that defensive performance says alot. Looks like you just could not get much going offensively against Sealy.

Wimberley should be able to compete effectively against any team in Region IV. Heck even Coldspring last year only had what appeared to be one challenge against Kirbyville in playoffs to get out of Region III to semi-final game. So who really knows how tough that Region is overall. Coldspring was great but it was not like they had to fight there way out of Region to Semi's as they won 3 out of 4 games easily. Perhaps Wimberley would have beat those teams as well. No way to know.

As an aside, a Wimberley receiver dropped a pass wide open in end zone that would have made the score 26-21 Coldspring with 3:00 to play and that is with Coldspring flat out dominating our offensive line and running game the entire contest. Now I personally do not think we would have won the game but who knows perhaps and onside kick and another big play. Similar Wimberley group this year with probably a more talented defense and a bit more of a versatile offensive scheme. Hopefully, Smith, Alana, and Blakemore will be at full speed as they are next level football players.

Finally, in your post that I quoted...you referenced Wimbo Pro but he did not write post you referred to I do not believe. I hope that Bellville wreaks havoc in playoofs. Good luck.

wimbo_pro
11-08-2011, 01:41 PM
Similar Wimberley group this year with probably a more talented defense and a bit more of a versatile offensive scheme. Hopefully, Smith, Alana, and Blakemore will be at full speed as they are next level football players.

"Probably" a more talented defense? Well, if you equate talent with results, we definitely have a more talented defense this year...by far. I also think we will be full strength within 2 weeks or so.

garciap77
11-08-2011, 01:45 PM
"Probably" a more talented defense? Well, if you equate talent with results, we definitely have a more talented defense this year...by far. I also think we will be full strength within 2 weeks or so.

Shut Up! Wimbro_pro_LH_Panther!:D

Sportshack
11-08-2011, 01:54 PM
Oh darn..."probably" was a bad choice of words. The defense is flat out better this year no doubt about it. Probably a bit more versatile offense. Last year's offense was diverse as well and could really run the ball that is until they ran into Coldspring. Offense just seems a little crisper this year from a scheme standpoint.

Tejastrue
11-08-2011, 03:17 PM
SintonFan...now that was a very cheesy attempt at an inspirational salvo! Now we have to worry that the the Ducks will get swept up in the sentiment!

Not to worry. I believe I have the answer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2hyPzyDjHE

Sportshack
11-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Not to worry. I believe I have the answer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2hyPzyDjHE

Well...isn't that just ducky!!

wimbo_pro
11-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Oh darn..."probably" was a bad choice of words. The defense is flat out better this year no doubt about it. Probably a bit more versatile offense. Last year's offense was diverse as well and could really run the ball that is until they ran into Coldspring. Offense just seems a little crisper this year from a scheme standpoint.

Agreed. We are much crisper, I would say. More versatile, more threatening. Add to it a much better D...yeppers!!! I'm looking forward to this!!!

sinton66
11-08-2011, 05:41 PM
PLANKED Duck (special recipe)
Catch a Duck. Pluck and clean. Boil well. With sharp knife, split duck down the belly. Splay it on a well soaked whiskey hardwood plank. Nail it good and wire it securely. Place upright on plank in front of hot coals on outdoor fireplace. Cook well for about two hours. When done, throw the duck away, and eat the plank!!!

wimbo_pro
11-08-2011, 05:47 PM
planked duck (special recipe)
catch a duck. Pluck and clean. Boil well. With sharp knife, split duck down the belly. Splay it on a well soaked whiskey hardwood plank. Nail it good and wire it securely. Place upright on plank in front of hot coals on outdoor fireplace. Cook well for about two hours. When done, throw the duck away, and eat the plank!!!

lololol

Tejastrue
11-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Catch a Duck. Pluck and clean. Boil well. With sharp knife, split duck down the belly. Splay it on a well soaked whiskey hardwood plank. Nail it good and wire it securely. Place upright on plank in front of hot coals on outdoor fireplace. Cook well for about two hours. When done, throw the duck away, and eat the plank!!!

Yumm...Yumm :clap:

Tejastrue
11-08-2011, 06:28 PM
A little coverage from the Boerne game...

http://www.boernestar.com/sports/article_a65022f0-0a4a-11e1-bd86-001cc4c002e0.html

ogg
11-08-2011, 07:42 PM

Gobblers, Hawks, Ducks,,,, what a fowl year.

Manso/V8
11-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Manso...we get this year in and year out with the talk about our players and how they do not have elite speed and we can't hang because of that...they say that...until they play us. As far as the Sealy game (here we go again)...yeah, sometimes the offense needs to score more (Wim = 4 tds) to (Bell.= td + fg) in order to win. I can tell you that the Sealy folk look at our game with a "signature win" mentality and play it like it's the SC game. I doubt if they take the same approach when playing you guys..thus the letdown. As far as our defense..I'm really not into the comparison thing of years past. It's nice and all that but I'm a "just win" sort of guy although it is always nice to do it with style and make a statement...
I am sure the Texans are fast enough, especially if everyone does their job. It is football afterall, not track. Here we go again, I am sure Sealy gave their best against Wimberley, but don't think for a second that they took the Bellville game any less seriously, generations deep rival and the district championship at stake? A good indication would be how much you saw Davis on defense, we saw him all night. My post was about our defensive efforts, and we have the goods to slow down the likes RSJ and Davis.........at least more than any other team they have faced this year, we will see about Navasota. No excuses for our offensive failings that night, we don't compare to Wimberley......but you did short us a FG in your post. I agree on the W is what matters, especially now that it is playoff season.

Gone Fishing
11-08-2011, 09:08 PM
Dammit , I just can't get over that code red (er) thing. Go Texans. I thought about it all day!

wimtexan
11-08-2011, 11:54 PM

Yes, let D '11 earn their own name. They have come a long way and each week gain more respect. 05? Move on. Let's see what the young men on the team now can do and give the focus to them. We read a lot on here about 05 and yes they were the state champs of 2005, but the focus now is on these young men. Alana and others are strong in the middle and are smart. The D coaches are amazing with their game plans and strategies each week. Hats off to Smith and Cockerham! They have taken these athletes and made them into a D that gets better and better each week. Huge confidence in the D coaching for sure! Good luck Friday night!

wimtexan
11-09-2011, 12:15 AM

I am with you Fish! Wimbo should stay home and watch his code 5 on VHS and D '11 will not need his approval for any title. D '11 will listen and learn from the great men that know how to play chess with the big boys! D'11 will work and play hard each week down to the last second. Even looking at D v Coldsprings and the 2nd half of that game. Coach made adjustments and the D stepped up and it was a different game the 2nd half. Give D'11 their time. And put the code red towels away and let these young men have THEIR time.

wimtexan
11-09-2011, 12:46 AM
Wimbo- Dude! why do you need to keep on pushing this years fans? 5000 plus post- life did not move on past HS football? Let them enjoy their season- 05 is in the past. Come on brother show a little hometown pride and back the boys of today. Good grief dude! A couple of you 05ers have some unresolved issues.

Tejastrue
11-09-2011, 01:23 AM
I am sure the Texans are fast enough, especially if everyone does their job. It is football afterall, not track. Here we go again, I am sure Sealy gave their best against Wimberley, but don't think for a second that they took the Bellville game any less seriously, generations deep rival and the district championship at stake? A good indication would be how much you saw Davis on defense, we saw him all night. My post was about our defensive efforts, and we have the goods to slow down the likes RSJ and Davis.........at least more than any other team they have faced this year, we will see about Navasota. No excuses for our offensive failings that night, we don't compare to Wimberley......but you did short us a FG in your post. I agree on the W is what matters, especially now that it is playoff season.

Indeed I did short you a FG..my humble apologies...as far as the rest... I'm sure you guys saw Sealy's best effort and it's flattering to use us as gauge for your own team's success but it's one game....As you know Canyon Lake beat Sealy the previous week 38-34...In that game CL's rb Henshaw had 39 for 300yds rushing and then Wimberley donkey stomped CL 50-14 three weeks later in district play... Henshaw 30 for 98 yds...I think the latter is more in line to where we are at this point on defense...we seem to gel as a team as the season progresses while others fade along the way...we shall see.

quack..quack..quack... where are the duck fans??? This is a Taylor/Wimberley playoff thread....:confused:...right??

wimbo_pro
11-09-2011, 01:27 AM
Wimbo- Dude! why do you need to keep on pushing this years fans? 5000 plus post- life did not move on past HS football? Let them enjoy their season- 05 is in the past. Come on brother show a little hometown pride and back the boys of today. Good grief dude! A couple of you 05ers have some unresolved issues.

Careful, WimTexan. Be very careful.

wimtexan
11-09-2011, 05:49 AM
Careful, WimTexan. Be very careful.

Yes, careful is what is being suggested. It is Wim v Ducks not Wim v Wim. LOL as you would say.

Sportshack
11-09-2011, 08:23 AM
Yes, careful is what is being suggested. It is Wim v Ducks not Wim v Wim. LOL as you would say.

I don't know...all of this started with Wimbo Pro's enthusiam for this year's team's chances to make it to the State Championship game. He payed them a huge compliment by stating their defense was very close to as good as an incredible defense that was part of a state championship team!!! Some folks take issue with that compliment and believe this team's defense is just as good. That gets a lively discussion going. That 05 defense had 5 starters that went on to play football on some level in college and anohter one who could have but chose not to do so at a small school. The occasional 4th DB also is playing College Ball right now, albeit as a Qb. The whole team had about 12 players go on to play college ball. That is talent period...the end. Being compared favorably to that bunch should be exciting!!!! People who take issue with the compliment ably state their case...which leads to point...counterpoint. The team has work to do and they will be a bit shorthanded on D-line, which might become a factor as they get deeper in playoffs. I still like their chances until they get to Coldspring (of course assuming a good region run). Based on what I saw last year from CS and what I am hearing this year...beating that team would be a monumental accomplishment. Therefore, again Wimbo Pro payed this year's team a huge compliment by calling his shot that the Texans will win that rematch! By the way...is Blakemore going to make it back. Info on that front has been strangely quiet.

Sportshack
11-09-2011, 08:53 AM
I just heard an interview with Randy Rogers, a recruiting guru, on 104.9 "The Horn" in Austin. When asked about teams in the area that could make some noise, he responded that he liked Wimberley to play in Arlington . He feels a team needs to have a great defense, playmakers, and a senior QB to make the C-ship game. He gave specific love to Brady Lambert and stated that he feels Brady is a really good QB.

wimbo_pro
11-09-2011, 09:33 AM
I don't know...all of this started with Wimbo Pro's enthusiam for this year's team's chances to make it to the State Championship game. He payed them a huge compliment by stating their defense was very close to as good as an incredible defense that was part of a state championship team!!! Some folks take issue with that compliment and believe this team's defense is just as good. That gets a lively discussion going. That 05 defense had 5 starters that went on to play football on some level in college and anohter one who could have but chose not to do so at a small school. The occasional 4th DB also is playing College Ball right now, albeit as a Qb. The whole team had about 12 players go on to play college ball. That is talent period...the end. Being compared favorably to that bunch should be exciting!!!! People who take issue with the compliment ably state their case...which leads to point...counterpoint. The team has work to do and they will be a bit shorthanded on D-line, which might become a factor as they get deeper in playoffs. I still like their chances until they get to Coldspring (of course assuming a good region run). Based on what I saw last year from CS and what I am hearing this year...beating that team would be a monumental accomplishment. Therefore, again Wimbo Pro payed this year's team a huge compliment by calling his shot that the Texans will win that rematch! By the way...is Blakemore going to make it back. Info on that front has been strangely quiet.

Well said, Sportshack. I have been VERY clear on my belief and confidence in this team, ESPECIALLY the defense and what they have shown in the last few games. In fact, I have actually gotten a few private messages suggesting I quit bragging so much on the Texans!! LOLOL And my respect and admiration for Coach Smith is unparalleled, as I have stated many times.

But yet...this WimTexan comes along and wants instant equality before they prove themselves....even though they have MORE points scored against them, LESS interceptions (by a mile), LESS fumbles recovered, MORE yards per game run against them, worse field position on kick offs and punts,...the list goes on and on. In fact, I dont think there is even ONE stat that this defense has (so far) put up that is better than the 05 team. Sorry, but I will continue to brag on my team as I see fit, but I will keep a little bit of reality in it as well.

Repeating my earlier claim...this '11 Defense is very, VERY good...with the possibility of being the best we have ever had, if they continue to improve as they have in the last few games. It's because of the defense that I make the claim that we will win the Region AND defeat Coldspring (or anyone from R3) in the Semi's. It's the D that makes our hopes so high, because we all know we can score...we just need to stop THEM from scoring!! LOL

Tejastrue
11-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Would suggest the local folk pick up today's edition of the Wimberley View. Decent article on the Texans along with a playoff preview (Taylor)...it's on the back page...(sorry Volleyball girls get front page on this one). I knew we had quite a few players out at this point last year but I did not realize, as Coach Nelms pointed out, the count was 13...maybe someone can confirm if this number also stood for the Coldspring game...

wimbo_pro
11-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Would suggest the local folk pick up today's edition of the Wimberley View. Decent article on the Texans along with a playoff preview (Taylor)...it's on the back page...(sorry Volleyball girls get front page on this one). I knew we had quite a few players out at this point last year but I did not realize, as Coach Nelms pointed out, the count was 13...maybe someone can confirm if this number also stood for the Coldspring game...

I dont think so, since Blakemore didnt come back till game 2 or 3 of the play offs, as I remember. Fonville too?

wimtexan
11-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Apology to pro. Only respect for all the guys that played or coached 05. Code Red should be a retired term only to be connected to 05. It was fun watching 05 go all the way. Not comparing them at all and never said anything about equal. We all respect the 05 guys and wish the best to the new ones. Usually just read and get the updates not usually responding to it. You guys have fun and be careful. Good luck to all the Texans. We are all on the same side. Beat those ducks Friday night. Keep us all updated on what is ahead. Go Big Blue! Oh wait is that ok to say?

wimbo_pro
11-09-2011, 06:34 PM
Apology to pro. Only respect for all the guys that played or coached 05. Code Red should be a retired term only to be connected to 05. It was fun watching 05 go all the way. Not comparing them at all and never said anything about equal. We all respect the 05 guys and wish the best to the new ones. Usually just read and get the updates not usually responding to it. You guys have fun and be careful. Good luck to all the Texans. We are all on the same side. Beat those ducks Friday night. Keep us all updated on what is ahead. Go Big Blue! Oh wait is that ok to say?

LOL...don't call them Blue!! Lets stay with Red!! I really am expecting these boys to step it up each game...better and better each game, like all championship teams do. We will revisit this "comparison" thingy later, I see no harm in comparing and contrasting this team with a champion, whether it be '05 Texans, Carthage, Celina or even Liberty Hill. They are close....getting closer...and will get my full kudos from me no matter what happens, they have already proven to me they are a Top Notch group. Wanna talk about the offense now? LOL

Tejastrue
11-09-2011, 07:01 PM
:weeping: :weeping: :weeping: :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

7 Meanings of Duck in the English Language
A duck is a short legged water bird with webbed feet. Any of a variety of species of wild or domestic web-footed birds. Broilers and fryers are under 8 weeks; roasters are no more than 16 weeks old. Duck is generally higher in fat than other domestic birds.
A closely woven, plain-weave cloth, usually made from cotton or linen yarns, similar to canvas. The terms canvas and duck have become almost generic and are usually qualified by terms that indicate the use of the cloth - e.g. in the Royal Navy, UK.
Duck: A pet, a darling, colloquial name in northern England - "love". [Shakespeare]
Duck: To go under the surface of water and immediately reappear; to dive; to plunge the head in water or other liquid.
To move the head or body quickly downwards or away; 'Before he could duck, another stone struck him.'
In the game cricket = a score of nothing by a batsman. Other ducks in cricket are:
- Golden Duck: When a player is dismissed for the first ball he faced, it is called a Golden Duck.
- Diamond Duck: When a player is dismissed without facing a ball (usually run out) is called a Diamond Duck
- Pair: When a player is dismissed for nought in both innings of the same two-innings match is called a Pair.
- King Pair: If a player is dismissed first ball in both innings is called a King Pair.
Lame duck = A person or thing that isn't properly able to function, especially one that was previously proficient

Sportshack
11-09-2011, 07:10 PM

I suspect that he meant throughout the year at one time or another that 13 different players were out. When the playoffs started last year Alana, Fonville, Smith, and maybe one other were out. I might be missing someone but not 13.

Sportshack
11-09-2011, 07:13 PM
I dont think so, since Blakemore didnt come back till game 2 or 3 of the play offs, as I remember. Fonville too?

Blakemore played the entire playoffs (had 2 TD's against Llano in round 1). Fonville was out for Coldspring along with Alana. Seems like one more was out. Smith came back for CS game but played sparingly.

Tejastrue
11-09-2011, 07:27 PM
I suspect that he meant throughout the year at one time or another that 13 different players were out. When the playoffs started last year Alana, Fonville, Smith, and maybe one other were out. I might be missing someone but not 13.

Thanks SS...I thought maybe some of our reserves (important guys we never hear about) were also missing during the playoffs...after re-reading it, his reply does say "last season" and I'm sure he meant (when he said it hurt us) about how it affected the season as a whole...still a heck of a lot of players to miss time...

Johnnypaycheck
11-09-2011, 10:52 PM
No one is giving the ducks a chance. Since I am an undistinguished alum (class of 95), I'm rootin for the Ducks.

Once a duck, always a duck!

Go Ducks!

wimbo_pro
11-09-2011, 10:54 PM
No one is giving the ducks a chance. Since I am an undistinguished alum (class of 95), I'm rootin for the Ducks.

Once a duck, always a duck!

Go Ducks!

You GOTTA go with the alma mater!!! Good to see you here.

Cam
11-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Indeed I did short you a FG..my humble apologies...as far as the rest... I'm sure you guys saw Sealy's best effort and it's flattering to use us as gauge for your own team's success but it's one game....As you know Canyon Lake beat Sealy the previous week 38-34...In that game CL's rb Henshaw had 39 for 300yds rushing and then Wimberley donkey stomped CL 50-14 three weeks later in district play... Henshaw 30 for 98 yds...I think the latter is more in line to where we are at this point on defense...we seem to gel as a team as the season progresses while others fade along the way...we shall see.

quack..quack..quack... where are the duck fans??? This is a Taylor/Wimberley playoff thread....:confused:...right??

quack...quack...quack....ruff..ruff.....sorry..the duck in me can only go so long then the Dawg comes out......but hey, I'll substitute for the Duck fans.....after all, they are in our district so I must root for em'!.........So, go Ducks...beat the crap out of Wimperley, or at least fly-over and crap on them!!...man that was harder to say than I thought knowing ol' ex-Burnet Coach Cockerham is there......quack....quack......quack......"did someone step on a duck?"..which reminds me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMVvTl83gWg&feature=related

Tejastrue
11-10-2011, 02:35 PM
quack...quack...quack....ruff..ruff.....sorry..the duck in me can only go so long then the Dawg comes out......but hey, I'll substitute for the Duck fans.....after all, they are in our district so I must root for em'!.........So, go Ducks...beat the crap out of Wimperley, or at least fly-over and crap on them!!...man that was harder to say than I thought knowing ol' ex-Burnet Coach Cockerham is there......quack....quack......quack......"did someone step on a duck?"..which reminds me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMVvTl83gWg&feature=related

A fly-over you say...:thinking:

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1311284331192&id=d2cf8c32db5051714f843fb6c19a1493

We have an answer for that..

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1362435707050&id=4d9f96de75450744117dd39b95ff3e8d

Cam..love RD and Caddyshack...As far as the game goes..we gonna beat the quap out of the Ducks..Go Texans...

Cam
11-10-2011, 05:28 PM
A fly-over you say...:thinking:

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1311284331192&id=d2cf8c32db5051714f843fb6c19a1493

We have an answer for that..

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1362435707050&id=4d9f96de75450744117dd39b95ff3e8d

Cam..love RD and Caddyshack...As far as the game goes..we gonna beat the quap out of the Ducks..Go Texans...

You Tejas....are totally prepared!!!.....

lbjacj
11-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Taylor came ready to play!!
17-14 Texans at the half.
Wimberley gets the ball to start the second half.

lbjacj
11-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Texans drive to Ducks 24 and come up short on 4th down
Ducks drive to texans 36 and after big penalty punt.
Wimberley drives to Taylor 38 and loses yardage then punts.
4th qtr 17-14 texans holding on for dear life!
Ducks driving to wimberley 37. First down.
Taylor player injured.Timeout
9 mins left...
I can't believe this???
Ducks holding penalty
3rd and 8 run for 6 4th and 2 on 29...Timeout Ducks...

lbjacj
11-11-2011, 10:12 PM
6:54 left
First down Taylor to the 19..
Clock running...
Ducks to the 15 3rd and 6...
false start Taylor 3rd and 11...
5min left
4th and 7.......
Field goal good
tied at 17 with 4 mins left..

Texans fate is in the hands of the offense!!

pirate4state
11-11-2011, 10:13 PM
is there a webcast?

lbjacj
11-11-2011, 10:17 PM
touchdown saving tackle on Wilson at 44 yd line on kickoff return.
Wilson runs for 5 to 49..
Smith to 43 1st down.
Smith trips for 2 yards.
2:43 left
Wilson no gain
3rd and 8
THROW THE BALL

Bosqueville
11-11-2011, 10:19 PM
Holy Crap!!!

lbjacj
11-11-2011, 10:19 PM
Lambert throw to Alana for first down to 27
1:42
Smith no gain
clock running
1:10
Lambert incomplete to Alana
3rd and 10
:58 secs
Lambert throws to Burttshell TD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
24-17 51 sec left
My God!! Never Underestimate an opponnent again!

Taylor passes to Texan 22 yd line 34 secs

Bosqueville
11-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Taylor is 3-7 correct???

pirate4state
11-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Lambert throw to Alana for first down to 27
1:42
Smith no gain
clock running
1:10
Lambert incomplete to Alana
3rd and 10
:58 secs
Lambert throws to Burttshell TD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
24-17 51 sec left
My God!! Never Underestimate an opponnent again!

still time on the clock ;)

R4Editor
11-11-2011, 10:25 PM
5:14 4th

Lampasas 35
Boerne 14

lbjacj
11-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Ducks 1st down on 22 , :34 left
throws to 8 yd line 26 secs 1st and goal
incomplete 11 secs left
2nd down from the 9
throws incomplete 6 secs left.......
Timeout Taylor
3rd and goal from the 9...

TD Taylor
Timeout
Tie game 2 seconds left in regulation

pirate4state
11-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Ducks 1st down on 22 , :34 left
throws to 8 yd line 26 secs 1st and goal
incomplete 11 secs left
2nd down from the 9
throws incomplete 6 secs left.......
Timeout Taylor
3rd and goal from the 9...

TD Taylor
Timeout
Tie game 2 seconds left in regulation

should have gone for 2!!!

SintonFan_inAustin
11-11-2011, 10:31 PM
should have gone for 2!!!no! lol

SintonFan_inAustin
11-11-2011, 10:33 PM
24-24?

Phil C
11-11-2011, 10:33 PM
no! lol

I agree. The only reason we went for two against Ingleside at the end was because the penalty moved us near the one yard line.

lbjacj
11-11-2011, 10:35 PM
no! lol

I'm surprised they didn't do the swinging gate for two that they scored their 1st TD on!

Tx Challenge
11-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Wimberleyradio.com Click no thanks

pirate4state
11-11-2011, 10:37 PM
can we listen to the rest of this game online?!?!

LHPfactory
11-11-2011, 10:37 PM
Taylor is 3-7 correct???

They play in a much tougher district :)

SintonFan_inAustin
11-11-2011, 10:39 PM
They play in a much tougher district :)nice jab :)

lbjacj
11-11-2011, 10:40 PM
31-24 Taylor
Texans have to score a TD

TD Texans Lambert runs it in.

Flag on play
2nd and 17
3rd and 2

Smith 1st down to 9

2nd down

Tx Challenge
11-11-2011, 10:40 PM
can we listen to the rest of this game online?!?!

left the link, Taylor scores first in Ot

pirate4state
11-11-2011, 10:43 PM
left the link, Taylor scores first in Ot it froze up my pc!!!! argh!!!

lbjacj
11-11-2011, 10:44 PM
3rd down from 7
Timeout Ducks

TD Texans
Burttshell reception
Big kick good

lbjacj
11-11-2011, 10:50 PM
2nd OT
Texans to the 19...
2nd and 4
wilson to 14 1st down
Lambert runs to 3
1st and goal
Smith TD
38-31

Phil C
11-11-2011, 10:55 PM
2nd OT
Texans to the 19...
2nd and 4
wilson to 14 1st down
Lambert runs to 3
1st and goal
Smith TD
38-31

If Taylor scores I think they need to try for the two points and the win.

Tin Cup
11-11-2011, 10:56 PM
If Taylor scores I think they need to try for the two points and the win.

I would

lbjacj
11-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Ducks get procedure penalty to make it 4th and five and the Texans stop 'em short.
38-31 Wimberley!!!!
Great game Ducks!!!
Way to hang Texans

bobcat1
11-11-2011, 11:04 PM
Congrats Wimberly on the win 38-31 in double OT. Great game Taylor!

hollywood
11-11-2011, 11:11 PM
Wow! Seems like there's always at least 1 wow game every post season.

Phil C
11-11-2011, 11:15 PM
Wow! Seems like there's always at least 1 wow game every post season.

Great game by both teams. It's hindsight but I guess Taylor should have gone for two on the last regulation td.

regaleagle
11-11-2011, 11:25 PM
Just goes to show you how competitive 3a football is this year. Lots of really good playoff teams are in the mix.

fire_it_up
11-11-2011, 11:45 PM
Hmmmm.....this score makes an Apache fan wonder????

lbjacj
11-11-2011, 11:46 PM

Not just Apache fans!!!

Be nice if we could meet in the Dome!

fire_it_up
11-11-2011, 11:50 PM
To my knowledge, we've never played in the dome.

Tejastrue
11-12-2011, 12:04 AM
No excuses here from me..the Ducks came to play and man did they ever...the team..the coaching staff..the school...earned respect from many a Texan fan tonight...congrats..:clap:. I think if they had pulled off the upset I would have been applauding them no matter what others might have thought. What an effort...I just want to add for the ones who coach out there or who have coached in the past, you understand a game like this. This kind of team can be your worst nightmare...and it was ours. 3-7, nothing to lose..getting healthy late in the season and putting 50 on the district champion in their last game...Wow...with that being said I am so proud of Lambert and company.. they did not panic and made huge plays that they absolutely had to at the end. This was the epitome of a gut check game if there ever was one...we move on..congrats Texans..your prize is Gonzales..no time for rest....

rb585
11-12-2011, 12:12 AM
We obviously weren't prepared to play, and Taylor really took it to us. We got outplayed and out coached by Taylor, but were lucky enough to have the best player on the field. We reeeeeeeeeeelly missed Blakemore on both sides of the ball.

rb585
11-12-2011, 12:13 AM
To my knowledge, we've never played in the dome.

Anywhere but the dome, please.

Seguin is my first choice.

lbjacj
11-12-2011, 12:26 AM
We obviously weren't prepared to play, and Taylor really took it to us. We got outplayed and out coached by Taylor, but were lucky enough to have the best player on the field. We reeeeeeeeeeelly missed Blakemore on both sides of the ball.

That was painfully obvious with the Texans relying on the running game most of the night.
Great tackle by Fonville from behind to stop their QB on the last play!!! Saved the season!
Blakemore will be back next week right?

rb585
11-12-2011, 12:27 AM
I heard they think next week.

wimbo_pro
11-12-2011, 12:33 AM
should have gone for 2!!!

You are EXACTLY right! The game was OVER if they went for two. I'm telling you, we hadn't stopped them all night.

wimbo_pro
11-12-2011, 12:34 AM

Makes us wonder too!!!

pirate4state
11-12-2011, 12:36 AM
You are EXACTLY right! The game was OVER if they went for two. I'm telling you, we hadn't stopped them all night. I should be a coach ;) LOL

gutsy game! wish I could have been there!

wimbo_pro
11-12-2011, 12:39 AM
I should be a coach ;) LOL

gutsy game! wish I could have been there!

Best game I have ever personally watched. Worst feeling of pending doom I have ever felt. One saying kept coming up in my head.....

We're going to need a bigger boat!!!!!

Sportshack
11-12-2011, 12:41 AM

Obviously so after tonight's Bi-district results!!!:ack!:

gold_33
11-12-2011, 12:49 AM
Hats off to Taylor they ran the slot T to perfection and we couldnt stop it. For a 3-7 team they are a pretty good football team, dont see how they didnt win more games during the season. Absolutely no blocking from our oline tonight, they looked terrible and if we want to win anymore games it will have to get better because if not were done. Defense was out manned and could not get any penetration all night and had few if any tackles for losses and in passing situations we looked lost and gave too much cushion on receivers. Better be a wake up call for these boys because they're lucky they aint sitting at home for the rest of the playoffs after tonites game and if they dont get it together then next week may be their last week.

Sportshack
11-12-2011, 01:06 AM
The Texans faithful have now had all of the Kool-Aid that they have been drinking totally flushed out of their system. Taylor was the most physical team in the trenches that the Texans have faced all year and they took it to Wimberley. Lambert came up with 3 nice TD passes to overcome this obstacle. The Ducks running game had been slowed down in 4th quarter and they had to go to pass . Amazingly, they were able to put up TD at end of game and in 1st OT via the pass. The O-line was pedestrian but good enough to get it done. The secondary without Blakemore and Gray was a little lacking. CB Holliman did get hurt in 4th qtr to add to problems. Cade Davis did make some nice plays. The ducks came out and took it to WHS front 8 in a major way. Texans did have a dropped INT on first drive that allowed the eventual first TD. All of that said...Wimberley was down a TD in first OT and had holding penalty on a Lambert TD run that set them back to a 1st and 20. Lambert also tweaked a hamstring on the play. The Texans' diverse offense allowed them to overcome the set back and eventually score on a picture perfect pass from Lambert to Burttschell. Might be good to have such a hard fought win under their belts. However, alll delusions of grandeur are out the window. This team will have to scratch and claw its way out of Region IV. They can do it but it is not a given. And it is important to understand that Wimberley was not flat...Taylor was just tougher or almost tougher in the trenches. They also took the air out of the ball somewhat due to good ball control. Defensive front did rise up a bit late in game but then secondary gave up passes. Cannot wait for next week.Might be the worst thing that could have happened for Gonzales.

Kudos to Lambert on a great game. He was under duress much of nite and threw 3 beautiful TD passes. Kudos to Smith who ran strong at end and would not be denied winning TD. Kudos to Niko Alana for stellar play at TE with a great TD catch (awesome block from Holliman on that TD). Kudos to Trint Wilson who scratched and clawed all night in running game. Kudos to Hunter Burttschell for 2 nice TD catches and another long catch to set up TD. Kudos to D-line (playing without starting DT) and LB's for taking hard shots in mouth but hanging tough in the end!

wimbo_pro
11-12-2011, 01:06 AM
Hats off to Taylor they ran the slot T to perfection and we couldnt stop it. For a 3-7 team they are a pretty good football team, dont see how they didnt win more games during the season. Absolutely no blocking from our oline tonight, they looked terrible and if we want to win anymore games it will have to get better because if not were done. Defense was out manned and could not get any penetration all night and had few if any tackles for losses and in passing situations we looked lost and gave too much cushion on receivers. Better be a wake up call for these boys because they're lucky they aint sitting at home for the rest of the playoffs after tonites game and if they dont get it together then next week may be their last week.

Gold33, I hear you..but even though your comments are very valid, we STILL scored enough to win. I say it was our DEFENSE that was the problem. I have said for a week that the last two games of the regular season showed good improvement, and another week of improvement will begin to put this defense in top quality position. What we saw tonight...what happened tonight....was an collapse of our defense, over and over. It's more than obvious now....it's out there for all to see.

I am very proud of our boys for hanging in there and never giving up. Tons of kudo's for the heart and the fight, I will stand with these boys till the end. But lets call a spade a spade. We NEVER should have been in this position. Taylor offense dominated us all night, and it was only at the very end (the VERY end)..plus the luck of the Gods...that we won this game.

Manso/V8
11-12-2011, 01:09 AM
Wow, I am stunned by how this game went. Congrats to WHS on the W, congrats to Taylor on the effort.
This might be the early round wake up call for Wimberley that will kick them in to gear.
I can't help but think there might have been too much Kool-Aid consumption.
Strictly water for yall this week!

lbjacj
11-12-2011, 01:11 AM
Gold33, I hear you..but even though your comments are very valid, we STILL scored enough to win. I say it was our DEFENSE that was the problem. I have said for a week that the last two games of the regular season showed good improvement, and another week of improvement will begin to put this defense in top quality position. What we saw tonight...what happened tonight....was an collapse of our defense, over and over. It's more than obvious now....it's out there for all to see.

I am very proud of our boys for hanging in there and never giving up. Tons of kudo's for the heart and the fight, I will stand with these boys till the end. But lets call a spade a spade. We NEVER should have been in this position. Taylor offense dominated us all night, and it was only at the very end (the VERY end)..plus the luck of the Gods...that we won this game.
That great tackle from behind of their QB by Fonville on the last play helped a lot!

wimbo_pro
11-12-2011, 01:14 AM
Wow, I am stunned by how this game went. Congrats to WHS on the W, congrats to Taylor on the effort.
This might be the early round wake up call for Wimberley that will kick them in to gear.

We fans can consume all the Kool-Aid we want...I don't think the coaches drink it at all. We just didnt do what we needed to do. Taylor was TOUGH, no doubt. But our Defense didnt get the job done, till the very end. Not what you want to see in the play offs. I hope we take this grazing bullet and get back on the improving track!!

wimbo_pro
11-12-2011, 01:15 AM
That great tackle from behind of their QB by Fonville on the last play helped a lot!

No doubt! Came through when we needed it! VERY proud of them for not giving up.

Tejastrue
11-12-2011, 01:19 AM
The Ducks have awakened a sleeping giant...you guys will see next week...:clap:

wimbo_pro
11-12-2011, 01:20 AM
The Ducks have awakened a sleeping giant...you guys will see next week...:clap:

I hope so, Tejastrue....I hope so.

fire_it_up
11-12-2011, 01:21 AM
Better circle those wagons....the Apaches are comin'!!!

wimbo_pro
11-12-2011, 01:23 AM

We better fix a few things and re-evaluate what we are doing...or we will get SCALPED.

Sportshack
11-12-2011, 01:23 AM

The team was not..I repeat not flat...Taylor was the most physical team that we have played including Sealy and ran the ball against the Texans better than anyone they had played for 3 qtrs and shortened the game in regulation. Our flaws were on display but ultimately so were our strengths and that was with an all-state type playmaking WR and DB out. Incredibly clutch plays in high pressure situations by offense. I doubt anyone will have the stones to talk about any games but the next one from here on out. SC indeed!

wimbo_pro
11-12-2011, 01:25 AM
Incredibly clutch plays in high pressure situations by offense.

Very true.

Tejastrue
11-12-2011, 01:26 AM

We got you right where we want you..:thumbsup:

Manso/V8
11-12-2011, 02:12 AM
Taylor offense dominated us all night, and it was only at the very end (the VERY end)..plus the luck of the Gods...that we won this game.

Code Pink?

Sportshack
11-12-2011, 08:33 AM
Code Pink?

The moniker seems apropos..for a while anyway!! Hopefully, will get playmaking WR and DB back next week. Also a big time team leader. To be fair...at end of regulation starting CB was out with injury and big plays were made against reserve and Blakemore likely would have been in that spot late which likely keeps those plays from happening and the game from ever getting to overtime. Never know for sure. Depth becomes more of an issue against good teams in playoffs. Now...none of my ramblings address the fact that Taylor largely controlled the ball and clock in 1st half and some of 3rd qtr. Texans' front began to assert self late. Also, it is important to note that Taylor basically gut punched Wimberley, knocked the Texans to the ground and repeatedly bashed them in the face!!! They were really physical!!! However, the Texans simply would not give in...got off the ground multiple times and kept on slugging. They freaking battled and battled and eventually won this street fight despite the punishment that would have felled many teams. Also...same Taylor team put up 50 on District champs Lampasas the week before. Only 24 against Texans in regulation and should have been 17! LAst TD was largely inexcusable as Taylor moved the length of field in 50 seconds via the pass.

How did that sound?...I once heard that rationalizations are more important than sex because most of us can go a week without sex but who can go a week without a big ol rationalization!!!:eek:

Somehow...despite concerns...I still feel The Texans will move past Apaches. Da...duh...da...duh...da...GO Texans!!

rb585
11-12-2011, 08:34 AM
Anywhere but the dome, please.

Seguin is my first choice.

OK, I lied. There's a worse place than the dome -- New Braunfels Canyon.

And the San Marcos Record says the game is at Canyon.

:flaming::ack!::mad::tongue::thmbdwn::foul:

lbjacj
11-12-2011, 08:55 AM
OK, I lied. There's a worse place than the dome -- New Braunfels Canyon.

And the San Marcos Record says the game is at Canyon.

:flaming::ack!::mad::tongue::thmbdwn::foul:

Yep...

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/sports/x869148134/HS-Football-Texans-avoid-upset-against-Taylor

Sportshack
11-12-2011, 08:58 AM
Nooooo....I like the location but not sure I can take that red field!!! Oy!!!! What were they thinking!!! Of course....location, location, location.

rb585
11-12-2011, 09:05 AM
Nooooo....I like the location but not sure I can take that red field!!! Oy!!!! What were they thinking!!!

Time to break out the red uniforms from '05?

Sportshack
11-12-2011, 09:30 AM
Time to break out the red uniforms from '05?

A little "Boise Effect"...I like it!

zebrablue2
11-12-2011, 09:35 AM
That was one great Texas High school football game. Good clean, smashmouth football from both teams. The sportsmanship on the field was truly amazing. Good luck to the Texans next week, and Taylor can be really proud of the effort they gave last night. What a war!!!

Sportshack
11-12-2011, 10:04 AM
That was one great Texas High school football game. Good clean, smashmouth football from both teams. The sportsmanship on the field was truly amazing. Good luck to the Texans next week, and Taylor can be really proud of the effort they gave last night. What a war!!!

Wimberley had not played a team as physical as the Ducks all year! Sealy was a close hard fought game but Sealy game had a lot more to do with their Qb making off schedule plays. Tip your hats to the Ducks as they really got after it on offense. Tip your hats to the Texans D as the week before the Ducks reeled off 50 points against eventual district champions Lampasas, which likely means a lot of explosive runs. Wimberley only gave up one long run. The Ducks did however, grind it out on long drives and chewed up the clock. Ultimately, they could not wear down the Texans front in 4th QTR but did have success throwing the ball on final drive and in OT. With 52 seconds to go in game the Ducks had only scored 3 points in 2nd half. Bam...long pass...a few plays later...Bam back shoulder type throw in end zone for tying score. Of course, Texans only scored one TD in second half so the Ducks got after them on defense as well.

rb585
11-12-2011, 10:06 AM
That was far and away the best 3-7 team I've ever seen.

wimbo_pro
11-12-2011, 10:25 AM

They weren't good...they were VERY good. I couldn't believe it. I didn't read this anywhere, other than a few "you're going to be surprised" from a fan or two. If it was written somewhere (by a sportswriter, I mean), I missed it. WOW.

Sportshack
11-12-2011, 10:31 AM
hereris link to news story and highlights on game. Friday football Fever. Enlarge the picture...it is pretty cool.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kvue.com%2Fsports%2Ffrida y-football-fever%2Fgame-of-the-week%2FGame-of-the-Week--Taylor-vs-Wimberley-133706368.html&h=IAQFEEXBN

gold_33
11-12-2011, 10:38 AM

Think we both said how this D was getting too much praise with the comparison to the 05 D all week. This game was won by our offenses ability to score when we need to which has been our strength this year. If we wouldve made any stops on D and got up by a few scores this game wouldve been completely different because it wouldve thrown Taylor off their game plan and not let them control the ball like they did but we played the game how they wanted it. They made big 3rd down and 4th down plays to keep drives going and wore us out. Great victory though for the guys and showed they wont give up but im just worried how much of a toll this took on some of our guys because it was such a physical game.

wimbo_pro
11-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Think we both said how this D was getting too much praise with the comparison to the 05 D all week. This game was won by our offenses ability to score when we need to which has been our strength this year. If we wouldve made any stops on D and got up by a few scores this game wouldve been completely different because it wouldve thrown Taylor off their game plan and not let them control the ball like they did but we played the game how they wanted it. They made big 3rd down and 4th down plays to keep drives going and wore us out. Great victory though for the guys and showed they wont give up but im just worried how much of a toll this took on some of our guys because it was such a physical game.

Again...good points. After sleeping on it, I can see how this is probably the best thing to happen to us in regards to a "wake up call". You said it perfectly...we played the game our opponent wanted to play. Thank God for a few calls here and there...a false start on the final drive...or we would have been in deep trouble.

With all this said, our boys got punched in the nose HARD, knocked to the ground on their backs....but got off the matt and punched back and fought back and threw quality punches and knocked the opponent down on their back...and then got punched in the nose again and went down, and got back up and won the fight...WOW!!! I am so damned proud of their fighting spirit and their tenacity. Incredible game.

lbjacj
11-12-2011, 10:54 AM
Again...good points. After sleeping on it, I can see how this is probably the best thing to happen to us in regards to a "wake up call". You said it perfectly...we played the game our opponent wanted to play. Thank God for a few calls here and there...a false start on the final drive...or we would have been in deep trouble.

With all this said, our boys got punched in the nose HARD, knocked to the ground on their backs....but got off the matt and punched back and fought back and threw quality punches and knocked the opponent down on their back...and then got punched in the nose again and went down, and got back up and won the fight...WOW!!! I am so damned proud of their fighting spirit and their tenacity. Incredible game.

Anyone know where I can find a boxscore on this game?

ogg
11-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Was a freckin battle. Taylor is/was a very, very good football team. We were talking during the game about how the Ducks looked like Liberty Hill in 06-07, relentless ball pounding for 4 to 7 yards a carry. Also set them up for effective passing. More like a quarterfinal or semifinal game than bi-district.

All of our boys played a hell of a game, played great but have some things to work on. Note: Dennis running straight ahead out of the I is like a wrecking ball.

ogg
11-12-2011, 11:13 AM

Totally agree Gold, Ducks were allowed to stick to their game plan the whole game.

wimbo_pro
11-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Note: Dennis running straight ahead out of the I is like a wrecking ball.

No kidding, OGG. We MUST do this more often. Smith is not a "scat" back...don't give him the ball and let him find the hole like Wison can or like Buse used to. He is a straight ahead, bust you down running back. Let's use it!

lbjacj
11-12-2011, 11:15 AM
Both teams had to overcome huge penalties in OT.
Wimberley did!
Taylor didn't!
Ballgame!

LHPfactory
11-12-2011, 11:26 AM

They have been seasoned by a tough district...... 25 almost swept 26 last night, our third place came very close to upending the mighty giant......

Oh wimbo, we r one game closer, can you hear the Panther prowling , LH is commin "4" ya..... :stirpot:

(notice the 4 in quotes, its that 4th victory in a row that LH seeks against the Texans)

But first things first, A very good Devine team is in the path and must be delt with....

more to follow........................................ :)

Tejastrue
11-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Believe this game happened for a reason. First, this had to be humbling to the team..knocked any overconfidence right out of their bee-hinds..second, it will have (and already has) others thinking we are not very good. We did not have a game like this last year in the playoffs and were ill prepared when we came up against Coldspring. We will learn from it and be stronger for it. Yes, we could easily be staying home but again..these things happen for a reason.

Tejastrue
11-12-2011, 11:43 AM

nice jab :)

Yeah, very good counter punch since it was me that questioned the strength...:doh:

HSFB
11-12-2011, 11:46 AM
No kidding, OGG. We MUST do this more often. Smith is not a "scat" back...don't give him the ball and let him find the hole like Wison can or like Buse used to. He is a straight ahead, bust you down running back. Let's use it!

YES! YES! YES! THIS!.........Taylor almost beat us by featuring their big physical and talented back. We have that same guy in Smith but we have not featured him to date which enables everything to run off of that. Taylor also had a good change of pace guy just like we have in Wilson that they used very well. In my opinion, Smith needs to be the featured back as he is the guy that D Coordinators have to game plan for. Not knocking anyone else as they are all very talented young men but you have to feature your big talented proven hoss and everything will run better off of that. Then maybe we can be the O physically wearing teams out.

I knew that our current approach would eventually catch up with us once we got deeper in the playoffs but did not expect it so soon.

I loved the I formation featuring Smith as it worked incredibly well and has worked great in the past. Remember the first game vs. Cuero and the game vs. Sealy last year. Smith physically wore them out. Even the single back with Smith as two guys follow him everywhere he goes. Try defending the zone read with Brady and Smith. Two guys go with Smith and off to the races goes Brady. Or a play action off of that and Blakemore is wide open.

Granted, I am just an armchair qb but I really just do not get this one at all and it almost cost us the damn season. I'm trying hard to understand but I really do not get it.

wimbo_pro
11-12-2011, 11:51 AM
They have been seasoned by a tough district...... 25 almost swept 26 last night, our third place came very close to upending the mighty giant......

Oh wimbo, we r one game closer, can you hear the Panther prowling , LH is commin "4" ya..... :stirpot:

(notice the 4 in quotes, its that 4th victory in a row that LH seeks against the Texans)

But first things first, A very good Devine team is in the path and must be delt with....

more to follow........................................ :)

LOL...bring it, KittyCats!!

LHPfactory
11-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Believe this game happened for a reason. First, this had to be humbling to the team..knocked any overconfidence right out of their bee-hinds..second, it will have (and already has) others thinking we are not very good. We did not have a game like this last year in the playoffs and were ill prepared when we came up against Coldspring. We will learn from it and be stronger for it. Yes, we could easily be staying home but again..these things happen for a reason.

Yep, I believe that also. I believe the games LH played early in 2006 against Cuero and Wimberley (lost both by 4 points each in the fourth quarter, on the road back to back) made them that much better when the play offs and eventual state champinship hit. They felt the sting of defeat in tough games against very good teams and this fortified their resolve to punch everyone in the mouth and stay on em from that point on.

Never underestimate your opponent, no matter what their record is.

This is a great example of why the BCS is garbage and needs to be removed from college football. The season and schedule are designed/intended to develope a team for the play offs, then when you get there anything can happen. Football is full of intangibles, its a great game when played on the field isnt it ?

I believe Wimberley survived with a good lesson learned.

Manso/V8
11-12-2011, 02:18 PM

You have said more than once, style points are nice, but it is the W that matters. It sounds like Taylor had the Texans back on the heels for much of the game, and the Texans did respond by fighting back and getting the W. Best of luck to yall next week.

Tejastrue
11-12-2011, 02:36 PM
You have said more than once, style points are nice, but it is the W that matters. It sounds like Taylor had the Texans back on the heels for much of the game, and the Texans did respond by fighting back and getting the W. Best of luck to yall next week.

Thanks Manso, "code pink" now that was funny..a bit painful..but funny. I really believe we'll be just fine..we shall see...congrats to Bellville by the way...

Manso/V8
11-12-2011, 02:41 PM
We fans can consume all the Kool-Aid we want...I don't think the coaches drink it at all. We just didnt do what we needed to do. Taylor was TOUGH, no doubt. But our Defense didnt get the job done, till the very end. Not what you want to see in the play offs. I hope we take this grazing bullet and get back on the improving track!!

Agree that fans and supporters can drink all the Kool-Aid they want, the coaches know better, a problem can be the KIDS hearing/reading/believing the Kool-Aid talk.....especially in small town high school sports, where a lot of us know(may have even coached them in LL or pee-wee) and see these kids during the week. I think it is better to be confident, avoid bulletin board material, and help keep the players focused on the week's challenge. We all know what can happen if an opponent is taken too lightly.....not saying that is what happened in this game. I can imagine that Taylor was more pumped up for this game than any game they played this season, and that Wimberley wasn't as pumped up as they were for some of the regular season games....I don't know just a guess. Taylor was an unnoticed team with a chance to go against the highly touted Texans, this was their SC game.

Tejastrue
11-12-2011, 05:02 PM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts zebra as seen from a neutral perspective..it was indeed an all out war!

wimbo_pro
11-12-2011, 09:08 PM

Thank you Zebra! We like to think that our boys show sportsmanship and class at all times...but we know they ARE kids, and sometimes they (we) fail a bit. But we, as fans don't like it when it happens to us, so we try to return the respect. I think we did last night, as did Taylor (even though there was one "warning" on this board from a poster that they were cheap shot artists). Taylor was a class act, all through the game. Good kids, good coaching, great crowd.

Manso/V8
11-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Thanks Manso, "code pink" now that was funny..a bit painful..but funny. I really believe we'll be just fine..we shall see...congrats to Bellville by the way...

I really hesitated before posting "code pink", but figured yall would take in the spirit it was intended and I just can't help myself sometimes.....nonetheless, I would have never posted that if you didn't get the W.

Thanks for the congrats on our game, we were hopeful going in, went through a portion of the game were we felt pretty comfortable. perhaps too comfortable, and then the 4th quarter became a real nail biter. Giddings showed a lot of want to. We have Coldspring next week and I have no comment at this time.

zebrablue2
11-13-2011, 12:02 AM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts zebra as seen from a neutral perspective..it was indeed an all out war!

Both teams and coaches were well prepared. Kids helping each other off the turf all night after hitting them in the mouth. The way football is to be played.... Both teams deserve a pat on the back, and really, no one lost in this game. Great life lessons learned. Damn, what a great game it was!!!!:clap:

Sportshack
11-13-2011, 07:54 AM
I really hesitated before posting "code pink", but figured yall would take in the spirit it was intended and I just can't help myself sometimes.....nonetheless, I would have never posted that if you didn't get the W.

Thanks for the congrats on our game, we were hopeful going in, went through a portion of the game were we felt pretty comfortable. perhaps too comfortable, and then the 4th quarter became a real nail biter. Giddings showed a lot of want to. We have Coldspring next week and I have no comment at this time.

I read a post on the Coldspring v Bridge City thread. It could be that Bellville is the type of team that can give them all they want.

Manso/V8
11-13-2011, 09:59 AM
I read a post on the Coldspring v Bridge City thread. It could be that Bellville is the type of team that can give them all they want.

The analysis of the Coldspring game was a surprise. It sounds like it could be a defensive battle. However, it could just have been an off night for the Coldspring offense....that happens. We can save that discussion for another thread.

Gone Fishing
11-13-2011, 12:16 PM
They weren't good...they were VERY good. I couldn't believe it. I didn't read this anywhere, other than a few "you're going to be surprised" from a fan or two. If it was written somewhere (by a sportswriter, I mean), I missed it. WOW.

Well I had to show myself sooner or later (been fishing). Manso your are correct on "code pink" but our D, mostly front 7 may have showed a shade of pink, but not much and I stand corrected on the code red post last week. LOL We did have 2 soph rotating in with Kothman (jr) at DL because of an injury to Guidry. But our DE's and all LB's in my opinion layed a big duck egg for the game. They ran right over us the whole night for the most part and that did set the pass up, but not until the last part of the game. I can't believe how they immediately picked on Hollimans replacement (Holliman got hurt and out the 4th) like 5 or 6 times in a row. It was like watching the NFL when they do that. The secondary did ok for the most part of the night before he went out, but they had to make waaaaay too many tackles.

Gold I don't think our offense won this game because they had the "ability to score" when they needed to. I think 24 pts in regulation was the lowest all year. The Ducks kicked our O lines azz all night period. We could not run the ball as normal. Not real sure why we didn't throw short to intermediate passes all night. (one corner was about 5'5" and the other was about 5'7'!!!!) Our D front 7 didn't stop them running on 3rd and 4th down at all and your right about we couldn't get them off their game plan and they controlled the clock, but our offense had the ball enough times but got their azz beat on the line all night, except for Lambert making some things happen to get 24 pts some how, we lose.

Tejas your right "code pink" is a bit painful, but was funny and true on Friday night! I am officially looking for another name other than"code red". That was 05 and I won't even mention such a thing until I see a step up and domination this Friday. I believe we can and will, Ive read other post above and also believe this was a great "wake up" call to a very good team AND to the coaches as well.

IMHO - Taylor kicked our offenses butts - Taylor kicked our defenses butts - Taylor kicked or coaches butts - We win!!

wimbo_pro
11-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Well I had to show myself sooner or later (been fishing). Manso your are correct on "code pink" but our D, mostly front 7 may have showed a shade of pink, but not much and I stand corrected on the code red post last week.!!

I think we ALL stand corrected to some degree regarding Fridays performance and Taylors chances (even the sportwriters and the polls and Massey's too, by the way). Nothing worng with stepping up and saying you were wrong! It give more credibility to your views. I was WAY wrong on the ease of which we would win this game. WOW. They were one tough group of kids, no doubt about it.

Sportshack
11-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Well I had to show myself sooner or later (been fishing). Manso your are correct on "code pink" but our D, mostly front 7 may have showed a shade of pink, but not much and I stand corrected on the code red post last week. LOL We did have 2 soph rotating in with Kothman (jr) at DL because of an injury to Guidry. But our DE's and all LB's in my opinion layed a big duck egg for the game. They ran right over us the whole night for the most part and that did set the pass up, but not until the last part of the game. I can't believe how they immediately picked on Hollimans replacement (Holliman got hurt and out the 4th) like 5 or 6 times in a row. It was like watching the NFL when they do that. The secondary did ok for the most part of the night before he went out, but they had to make waaaaay too many tackles.

Gold I don't think our offense won this game because they had the "ability to score" when they needed to. I think 24 pts in regulation was the lowest all year. The Ducks kicked our O lines azz all night period. We could not run the ball as normal. Not real sure why we didn't throw short to intermediate passes all night. (one corner was about 5'5" and the other was about 5'7'!!!!) Our D front 7 didn't stop them running on 3rd and 4th down at all and your right about we couldn't get them off their game plan and they controlled the clock, but our offense had the ball enough times but got their azz beat on the line all night, except for Lambert making some things happen to get 24 pts some how, we lose.

Tejas your right "code pink" is a bit painful, but was funny and true on Friday night! I am officially looking for another name other than"code red". That was 05 and I won't even mention such a thing until I see a step up and domination this Friday. I believe we can and will, Ive read other post above and also believe this was a great "wake up" call to a very good team AND to the coaches as well.

IMHO - Taylor kicked our offenses butts - Taylor kicked our defenses butts - Taylor kicked or coaches butts - We win!!

The team was in a battle for sure. However, they did beat the Taylor running game down in 2nd half. Only 17 points to Taylor until last 52 seconds of game. Then it was all pass and secondary did not get it done It was not a good night for them either. The defense is solid but not necessarily dominating. However, if team gets Blakemore and Holliman back in lineup things should be improved.