PDA

View Full Version : Wimberley and the Play offs

wimbo_pro
11-05-2011, 12:10 AM
OK...here is my take on our chances moving forward in the play offs:

1) We are positioned physically as well as we have been in years. Only one starter is out for the year.
2) We are prepared mentally, having the experienced coaching staff and last years experience to build on.
3) We have the talent at every position (well....almost every position) to dominate all teams in our region.
4) We are clicking on all cylinders, both on offense and defense, though we know (as all teams must) that we must step it up each game.
5) Compared to Region 2 and/or Region 3, our path to the State Semi's is "easier" and definitely possible without being overly "homer-ized" in my view.
6) If we grow and improve each game (as every CS team does in the play offs), we can take home the Ring.

Now, with this said, let me be clear...I am not saying we have it made. Far from it. No "Rocket" projections here. All I am saying is that all the pieces are in place for us to take advantage of our position in the field of contenders to dominate. So here is my prediction:

Wimberley will be in the State Semi-Finals against the Region 3 Champion. In my opinion, this will be Cold Spring. I predict we will defeat them when we meet.

There...I said it. Lot's can go wrong...true. And I will congratulate any team who spoils my prediction (has happened before...hello Hondo '06!), but I am making my prediction now ...let's hear yours!!!

Sportshack
11-05-2011, 01:36 AM
I am always careful as I think there are a couple of potential spots to cause probs. However, so far team has met every challenge. They are poised to make a run in Region IV. They will face scrappy teams. Devine comes to mind. HOwever, it is just hard to imagine a predominant running team getting over on Texans defense. However, sometimes a team can be out athleted. Sadler from Devine rushed for over 400 yards tonight in district C-ship game against rival Hondo. Sounds legit. Nonetheless, I like the Texans chances in Region IV. After that it depends on team they face. Coldspring could be better on defense than last year and they were impressive last year to be sure. Overall....WHS is better on both sides of ball this year. However, O-line might have tough time with real athletic defensive front. They have really improved though. That said...the offensive scheme is really good and I think the coaches are already building in a diversity that will help slow down such fronts. We will hopefully see. GO TEXANS...they are looking good.

buckeyebob
11-05-2011, 06:40 AM
But you have not met East Texas...remember...

Sportshack
11-05-2011, 07:24 AM

Well....all I said was that they had a good shot of reaching semi-finals. I would agree that Region IV is not as strong as some other regions. However, once you get out o Region there is only one game to get to C-ship so who knows.

wimbo_pro
11-05-2011, 07:30 AM

East Texas Speed is formidable, but its not the end-all to the game of football. If it was, speed would win EVERY time...and we know that East Texas (and other very fast teams) does not win EVERY time. At the present, East Texas is on a roll, no doubt. And they very well might win it all again this year, both divisions. Speed is very important, but it can be beat.

regaleagle
11-05-2011, 07:38 AM
Wimbo, tell us about the offensive mix of the Texans when it comes to inclimate weather. Will the team suffer in a game that is wet & cold offensively, moreso against a running team like a Devine or a Sinton? And what about Sinton? Are they a darkhorse coming around right now?

SintonFan_inAustin
11-05-2011, 07:40 AM
Sinton will welcome a chance to knock yall out of yall trip to state semifinal. 3rd round hopefully if we both get there :)

Gontex
11-05-2011, 07:44 AM

1) We are positioned physically as well as we have been in years. Only one starter is out for the year.
2) We are prepared mentally, having the experienced coaching staff and last years experience to build on.
3) We have the talent at every position (well....almost every position) to dominate all teams in our region.
4) We are clicking on all cylinders, both on offense and defense, though we know (as all teams must) that we must step it up each game.
5) Compared to Region 2 and/or Region 3, our path to the State Semi's is "easier" and definitely possible without being overly "homer-ized" in my view.
6) If we grow and improve each game (as every CS team does in the play offs), we can take home the Ring.

Now, with this said, let me be clear...I am not saying we have it made. Far from it. No "Rocket" projections here. All I am saying is that all the pieces are in place for us to take advantage of our position in the field of contenders to dominate. So here is my prediction:

Wimberley will be in the State Semi-Finals against the Region 3 Champion. In my opinion, this will be Cold Spring. I predict we will defeat them when we meet.

There...I said it. Lot's can go wrong...true. And I will congratulate any team who spoils my prediction (has happened before...hello Hondo '06!), but I am making my prediction now ...let's hear yours!!!

Congratulations. You have just posted the most arrogant post I have ever read. One of the first things I learned in any kind of competition is to respect your opponents and not overlook any of them. You have just summarily written off some pretty good football teams out there. Hope it doesn't come back to bite you in the butt.

wimbo_pro
11-05-2011, 07:51 AM
Wimbo, tell us about the offensive mix of the Texans when it comes to inclimate weather. Will the team suffer in a game that is wet & cold offensively, moreso against a running team like a Devine or a Sinton? And what about Sinton? Are they a darkhorse coming around right now?

Good questions, Regaleagle. Last year, we did fine in the cold, though we played less-than-stellar against Cold Spring in the Semi's...but I wouldnt blame the weather on that performance. We are close to a 50-50 split in offense, but I think it's designed to be more like 60-40 passing. Our QB (Lambert) will take off running on you quite a bit, so that changes the intended percentages.

We have the talent to either be a running team or a passing team if we must, the spread we run allows us this flexibility in bad weather. But like most spread offenses, we are not a ground-n-pound offense, though we have a back that will pound you into the ground if you get in front of him...and another who will go right around you.

I have no idea what how we would play in the rain...but what team in Texas does? LOL

I don't know enough about Devine or Sinton this year to comment much except to say our defense is WAY better this year, the stats show this clearly. I think we will be able to handle the running game of most-if-not-all teams in R4. The question will be...can they contain our offense? I dont think so.

Sportshack
11-05-2011, 07:58 AM
Congratulations. You have just posted the most arrogant post I have ever read. One of the first things I learned in any kind of competition is to respect your opponents and not overlook any of them. You have just summarily written off some pretty good football teams out there. Hope it doesn't come back to bite you in the butt.

My...my we are sensitive Gontex!!!! Here is a quote from a portion of Wimbo Pro's statement:

"Now, with this said, let me be clear...I am not saying we have it made. Far from it. No "Rocket" projections here. All I am saying is that all the pieces are in place for us to take advantage of our position in the field of contenders to dominate. So here is my prediction:

There...I said it. Lot's can go wrong...true. And I will congratulate any team who spoils my prediction (has happened before...hello Hondo '06!), but I am making my prediction now ...let's hear yours!!!"

That part of post seems anything but arrogant. He is just having a bit of fun and calling his shot. He thinks the team has the pieces to make a another run through Region IV but recognized that there was room for error. I do not think he was dissin' your team or any of the other teams that will compete in Region IV bracket. I have not seen Gonzalez play so I really do not know how good they are but 10-0 says that they are a good team. With that said...if I was on a message board...picking a game between Apaches and Texans...I would choose Texans.

Lighten up....puleaaaaase!:inlove:

wimbo_pro
11-05-2011, 07:58 AM

HaHaHa...if THIS is the most arrogant post you have seen on this board...you are either new, blind or lying!! Do I believe we can win the region...YES I DO! Can we be beat? Hell yes we can. I will congratulate the team that does beat us, and take my lumps....but there is nothing wrong with showing some confidence in your team.
There are some very good teams in R4....but not as good as R2 or R3 in depth, and we should get through the region. We got beat in '06 by Hondo when we had a lot more talent across the board...so yes, it can and does happen. No disrespect intended...but lets get it right out there...we are gunning for the Big Show, anything less will be a disappointment. I'm all in. Our team is all in. Our town is all in. Might as well say it out loud.

wimbo_pro
11-05-2011, 08:01 AM
One more thing...I am just a fan in the stands. I can write off whomever I choose. It's our coaches who need not write off any teams. And trust me...they won't.

Sportshack
11-05-2011, 08:12 AM

Texans are a balanced team that mixes the run and the pass very well. I enjoy their offensive scheme...well coached in that regard. From a skills standpoint the Texans have excellent to very good RB's that can absolutely run physical and match up with anyone in state. The O-line is more the question in a pure running game but they have improved as of late. However, there style of passing is varied and would not likely be totally shut down by weather. Their defense has been good defending the run all year.

wimbo_pro
11-05-2011, 08:18 AM
Their defense has been good defending the run all year.

So true, Sportshack. I said at the beginning of the season that if we could cut our "points-against" in half from last year, we would have a great shot at the Big Show. I don't know for sure if we accomplished halving that stat...but we definitely cut it way down. We are positioned as well as we could of hoped going into the play offs. Everything seems to be aligning for us...we just need to take care of business, we have the talent. I trust our coaches in this regard.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-05-2011, 08:51 AM
Region IV
3a Playoffs
D1
D25 Lampasas 9-1 vs D26 Canyon Lake 8-2
D27 Somerset 6-4 vs D28 La Vernia 5-5

D30 Rockport Fulton 6-4 vs D29 West Columiba 10-0
D32 La Grulla 7-3 vs D31 Raymondville 6-4

D2 upper bracket
D25W Liberty Hill 7-3 vs D26R Boerne 6-4
D27W Devine 10-0 vs D28R SA Sam Houston 8-2

D29W Wharton 4-6 vs D30R Ingleside 9-1
D31W Orange Grove 7-3 vs D32R Port Isabel 6-4

D2 lower bracket
D25R Taylor 3-7 vs D26W Wimberley 9-0
D27R Hondo 8-2 vs D28W Gonzales 10-0

D29R Sweeny 5-4 vs D30W Sinton 9-1 Sat. Nov 12 @ Victoria 7 pm
D31R Lyford 6-4 vs D32W Rio Hondo 7-3

LET THE SECOND SEASON COMMENCE

wimbo_pro
11-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Thanks SintonFan. Tell me about Sinton's offense and what you think their chances are?

SintonFan_inAustin
11-05-2011, 08:58 AM
Thanks SintonFan. Tell me about Sinton's offense and what you think their chances are?Its a pass offense for the last 3 years but this year it's more of a run offense with a freshman qb that can run some and pass, just haven't let him loose yet on passing much. Sinton freshman is unbeaten this year, he started in the 2nd game of the year against Rio Hondo. Sinton run defense is the backbone of this team, held Ingleside vaulted offense to 10 first downs and 210 total yards in their meeting.

wimbo_pro
11-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Its a pass offense for the last 3 years but this year it's more of a run offense with a freshman qb that can run some and pass, just haven't let him loose yet on passing much. Sinton freshman is unbeaten this year, he started in the 2nd game of the year against Rio Hondo. Sinton run defense is the backbone of this team, held Ingleside vaulted offense to 10 first downs and 210 total yards in their meeting.

One of our coaches is from Sinton...he is pretty high on Sinton this year. Of course he thinks we can be you (what else would you expect from a coach?), but he says you guys are for real.

lbjacj
11-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Region IV
3a Playoffs
D1
D25 Lampasas 9-1 vs D26 Canyon Lake 8-2
D27 Somerset 6-4 vs D28 La Vernia 5-5

D30 Rockport Fulton 6-4 vs D29 West Columiba 10-0
D32 La Grulla 7-3 vs D31 Raymondville 6-4

D2 upper bracket
D25W Liberty Hill 7-3 vs D26R Boerne 6-4
D27W Devine 10-0 vs D28R SA Sam Houston 8-2

D29W Wharton 4-6 vs D30R Ingleside 9-1
D31W Orange Grove 7-3 vs D32R Port Isabel 6-4

D2 lower bracket
D25R Taylor 3-7 vs D26W Wimberley 9-0
D27R Hondo 8-2 vs D28W Gonzales 10-0

D29R Sweeny 5-4 vs D30W Sinton 9-1 Sat. Nov 12 @ Victoria 7 pm
D31R Lyford 6-4 vs D32W Rio Hondo 7-3

LET THE SECOND SEASON COMMENCE

These are wrong. Canyon Lake is out of the playoffs.Boerne is D1 Navarro is D2

SintonFan_inAustin
11-05-2011, 09:14 AM
One of our coaches is from Sinton...he is pretty high on Sinton this year. Of course he thinks we can be you (what else would you expect from a coach?), but he says you guys are for real. yea i saw him in a baseball tourney in Pleasanton, my neighbor growing up back when we were in school.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-05-2011, 09:15 AM
These are wrong. Canyon Lake is out of the playoffs.Boerne is D1 Navarro is D2 got the standings out of max prep , tks i see they didnt finish the update

lbjacj
11-05-2011, 09:17 AM
got the standings out of max prep

Well they have it wrong then.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Navarro 6-4?

Did Canyon Lake finish 8-2 and not make the playoffs?

Sportshack
11-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Well they have it wrong then.

Yep. Max Preps standings screen shows navarro at 3-3 in district. Should be 3-2 and in 3-way tie with Boerne and CL. CL out on tie breaker. Disappointing finish for CL has they started the season 6-0 with a win over Sealy.

LionFan72
11-05-2011, 09:28 AM

Wimbo, first of all congrats for making THE season, playoffs baby! I picked a Wimberly-Cold Spring matchup week one, and still think that will be the case. But of course, there still could be a spoiler in the mix, after all this is high school football! I am pretty sure that all the ill winds blowing out of East (speed) Texas is just that, with the exception of Chapel Hill, they seem to be the real Deal! I also predicted a new champ in DII this year, the district of doom has shown signs of doom and have actively beat up one another. Just my casual observations, no disrespect to anyone!

Where would a Wimberly-Cold Spring match-up occur, hypothetically? Stadium? Can't wait, saving gas and nacho money......Good luck, the new season, all teams are equal, 0-0!

lbjacj
11-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Yep. Max Preps standings screen shows navarro at 3-3 in district. Should be 3-2 and in 3-way tie with Boerne and CL. CL out on tie breaker. Disappointing finish for CL has they started the season 6-0 with a win over Sealy.
It is sad for our district too because I think the Hawks would do well against Lampasas. Boerne doesn't stand a chance.

wimbo_pro
11-05-2011, 09:32 AM
I picked a Wimberly-Cold Spring matchup week one, and still think that will be the case.

Where would a Wimberly-Cold Spring match-up occur, hypothetically? Stadium?

You and many across the state predicted this match up as well. Yes, we are all too aware of the "spoiler" team lingering out there...Hondo, Sinton, etc....the coaches will make sure they don't overlook these teams. Based on last year, you would have to think that it would be in the same place...Baylor Stadium.

lbjacj
11-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Where would a Wimberly-Cold Spring match-up occur, hypothetically? Stadium? Can't wait, saving gas and nacho money......Good luck, the new season, all teams are equal, 0-0!

We played at Floyd Casey in Waco last year.Kyle field would be a better site.

wimbo_pro
11-05-2011, 09:37 AM
We played at Floyd Casey in Waco last year.Kyle field would be a better site.

I think Cold Spring has their hands full as well. To my knowledge, they really haven't played a quality team...but I am not saying they are overrated. They seem to be the real deal.

Purple Rain
11-05-2011, 09:48 AM

Seems to me wimbo_pro is confident and informed, not arrogant.

You joined 4 years ago and this is the most arrogant post you have ever read? You must not be paying much attention, or have a very short memory.

wimbo_pro
11-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Seems to me wimbo_pro is confident and informed, not arrogant.

You joined 4 years ago and this is the most arrogant post you have ever read? You must not be paying much attention, or have a very short memory.

Exactly PurpleRain. Sheesh. BTW...tell us about LH's chances?

lbjacj
11-05-2011, 09:58 AM
I think Cold Spring has their hands full as well. To my knowledge, they really haven't played a quality team...but I am not saying they are overrated. They seem to be the real deal.

I really want to see a rematch! The Texans never got going against them last year although they did better in the 2nd half. To be the best you gotta beat the best and I think it would be a different story this year. Don't see this Texan team letting anyone stand in their way on their journey to Jerryworld!

wimbo_pro
11-05-2011, 10:11 AM
I am most excited about the defense. All year, they have been better than last year. And the last few games...wow.

regaleagle
11-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Does anyone have any idea of the team(s) out of Region I and Region II that may also meet-up in Jerryworld?? Just curious from you guys down there in III & IV what your opinions might be. I have my Eagles vs. Prosper Eagles battling in Round 2 for a title game appearance in Region II against...who knows???

Manso/V8
11-05-2011, 10:31 AM
I am most excited about the defense. All year, they have been better than last year. And the last few games...wow.

Why does the Wimberley defense let teams score instead of shutting them out? Charitable sportsmanship?

wimbo_pro
11-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Why does the Wimberley defense let teams score instead of shutting them out? Charitable sportsmanship?

Good questions, Manso. We have stopped this from happening the last few games, but the year as a whole...not so much. And last year, far worse. This is an area we MUST plug up.

Tejastrue
11-05-2011, 10:52 AM

Are you and SintonFan sharing notes :wave:...by the way, Congrats on the 10-0 season Gontex. Your team is not being overlooked I assure you and there is a very good chance we will play each other...lighten up...it's okay to toot your horn..surely you feel pretty good about your own team's chances..good luck to the Apaches..

wimbo_pro
11-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Are you and SintonFan sharing notes :wave:...by the way, Congrats on the 10-0 season Gontex. Your team is not being overlooked I assure you and there is a very good chance we will play each other...lighten up...it's okay to toot your horn..surely you feel pretty good about your own team's chances..good luck to the Apaches..

Very True...Gonzales has really had a good year. Kind of flew under the radar a bit, I'd say. No matter how weak a district might be...10-0 is not easy.

banderafan
11-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Navarro 6-4?

Did Canyon Lake finish 8-2 and not make the playoffs?

That is what the word was in Bandera last night while we played CL. How many 8-2 teams don't make the playoffs! Wow.

wimbo_pro
11-05-2011, 11:11 AM
Does anyone have any idea of the team(s) out of Region I and Region II that may also meet-up in Jerryworld?? Just curious from you guys down there in III & IV what your opinions might be. I have my Eagles vs. Prosper Eagles battling in Round 2 for a title game appearance in Region II against...who knows???

My guess is Prosper, Alvarado, chapel hill, henderson, celina...but thats just based on the talk here and in the state round up talks. Not very familiar with R1 anymore since we were there. R2 is a little more familair.

HEMOTOXIC
11-05-2011, 11:16 AM
It is Coldspring- one word!

lbjacj
11-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Yes .

wimbo_pro
11-05-2011, 11:19 AM

We here in Wimber Ley aren't real good at this.

HEMOTOXIC
11-05-2011, 11:21 AM

haha, got ya

Tejastrue
11-05-2011, 11:57 AM

Gotta forgive him Hemo, around here we have our own Spring and it's a Dripping...wait a minute there's more than one...Dripping Springs...:wave: