PDA

View Full Version : Van's Santos named Under Armour All American

icu812
11-02-2011, 11:26 AM
They are comming to Van tomorrow to present him with a jersey and hold a press conference. Dalton is the 2nd UA All American to come out of Van in the past 5 years. For some reason the video story below only has highlights of him running the ball, lol.

http://www.cbs19.tv/story/15919595/vans-sant

Tom Foolery
11-03-2011, 11:24 AM
I saw him play last year against Gilmer but i dont remember him at RB in that game. Why are the highlights only from 5 yards in? Is he only a goal line back? Would he get caught from behind if it was a longer run than 5 yards?

icu812
11-03-2011, 12:33 PM
I saw him play last year against Gilmer but i dont remember him at RB in that game. Why are the highlights only from 5 yards in? Is he only a goal line back? Would he get caught from behind if it was a longer run than 5 yards?

He never ran the ball last year but this year they are using him in short yardage situations and inside the 10 yard line. However, he has taken several to the house from around mid field. If he breaks through the line with a head of steam he is tough to catch since he runs a 4.5 something laser timed 40 and at 260lbs he is not so easy to bring down. Van is a pass first team this year so he isn't used that much on offense. Last year he played a lot of tackle on the O-line (which is the reason for his 78#). The O-line has done a great job this year so they haven't needed him there.

Tom Foolery
11-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Something does not add up here. 260 lbs, 4.5 40, playing on the line, only short yardage and a passing offense? I thought he was a good player last year but he took plays off. Gilmer proved last year that it was not the size of the dog that mattered.

icu812
11-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Something does not add up here. 260 lbs, 4.5 40, playing on the line, only short yardage and a passing offense? I thought he was a good player last year but he took plays off. Gilmer proved last year that it was not the size of the dog that mattered.

He is a linebacker. It adds up to the coaches knowing what they are doing since Van's offense is averaging 44 points a game, QB has 2,365 yards passing and 25 td's. Without using Santos much on offense. Gilmer had a QB last year, Van had a receiver playing QB. Not the case this year.

Txbroadcaster
11-03-2011, 02:17 PM

santos has a motor...Gilmer took him out of the game by double and triple teaming him..he did not take plays off, he was just neutralized..this year Van has a more potent offense and better D-Line play

icu812
11-03-2011, 02:21 PM
santos has a motor...Gilmer took him out of the game by double and triple teaming him..he did not take plays off, he was just neutralized..this year Van has a more potent offense and better D-Line play

100% correct

BuckeyeNut
11-03-2011, 03:28 PM
Are you saying that if Van and Gilmer meet this year Van wins?????

SHSBulldog00
11-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Here are some picture's from the Under Armour Jersey Presentation

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/4430/daltonsantosvanhsgetsun.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/849/daltonsantosvanhsgetsun.jpg/)

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/1026/daltonsantosvanhswithco.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/823/daltonsantosvanhswithco.jpg/)

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/7025/daltonsantosvanhsnumber.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/543/daltonsantosvanhsnumber.jpg/)

Congrat's Dalton:clap:

icu812
11-04-2011, 09:35 AM

Just saying Van is a much much better TEAM this year compared to last year. Night and day really. Last year everybody knew Van was going to need to get some help from Gilmer and catch a few lucky breaks to have a chance win that game. This year Van just needs to play well against whoever they play.

SHSBulldog00, thanks for the pics

SHSBulldog00
11-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Just saying Van is a much much better TEAM this year compared to last year. Night and day really. Last year everybody knew Van was going to need to get some help from Gilmer and catch a few lucky breaks to have a chance win that game. This year Van just needs to play well against whoever they play.

SHSBulldog00, thanks for the pics

Your Welcome

I am pretty well connected. Glad I could post them for you.

Txbroadcaster
11-04-2011, 11:58 AM

I honestly think so..I think Van is making a deep play off run this year

BuckeyeNut
11-04-2011, 02:50 PM
I honestly think so..I think Van is making a deep play off run this year

The Defense has gotten better every week, there going to be hard to score on. They make so many turn overs it's unreal, Van will have to pass and that will get them in trouble. Will See

Txbroadcaster
11-04-2011, 03:06 PM
The Defense has gotten better every week, there going to be hard to score on. They make so many turn overs it's unreal, Van will have to pass and that will get them in trouble. Will See

van's strength on offense is the pass this year

icu812
11-04-2011, 04:27 PM

One game this year I think Van ran the ball twice in the first half, maybe it was against Palestine. Anyway, Van will run when that is what the D is giving them, otherwise it's in the air this year. I hope both teams play well enough to match up down the road but both teams should be concerned with first one right now.

icu812
11-07-2011, 10:50 AM
ESPN.com: Football [Print without images]

Friday, November 4, 2011
Dalton Santos expects nothing but best

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Damon Sayles
ESPN Recruiting Nation

VAN, Texas -- There's a swagger about Dalton Santos that many football junkies -- or even those who are slightly competitive -- may find intoxicating.

The nation's No. 1 inside linebacker, Santos has built a reputation of practicing what he preaches. If he says he's expecting to dominate on the football field, chances are, his words will become reality. If he says he's going to cover the best receivers on inside routes -- even at 6-foot-3 and 255 pounds -- his actions usually make the biggest critic take a pause.

Santos isn't your average linebacker. He's got the speed of a running back, the power of an offensive lineman and the stamina and endurance of an Ironman triathlete. He also has the heart of a champion and a mindset to never be considered anything less than the best.

Best Of The Best
Seven of the nation's top 10 prospects in the ESPNU 150 have now elected to play in the Under Armour All-America Game on Jan. 5 in St. Petersburg, Fla., broadcast on ESPN.
• 2012 UA Game roster
• AFI selection tour home

The intangibles are what make Santos so attractive to recruiters, and the Van, Texas, superstar will head to Tennessee in the fall. Before that, Santos will get an opportunity to show the rest of the country what the small, east Texas community already knows, as Santos will participate in the annual Under Armour All-American Game Jan. 5 in St. Petersburg, Fla.

Santos was beaming Thursday at his UA jersey presentation, a part of the 80-stop American Family Insurance presents the Under Armour All-America Game selection tour. In front of family, teammates and a rowdy high school audience, Santos wore his jersey proud and reminded everyone of what to expect in January.

"I'm going to be crazy, I'm going to holler, and you're going to know I'm there on the field," Santos said. "I'm going to do what I have to do to showcase myself and my team and to get to places and the things I want and they want.

"Basically, I'm going to do me."

The pride of Van
With a population of roughly 2,700, Van is located 45 minutes east of Dallas. It advertises itself as "The little town with a big heart." Santos can be advertised as the big man with a bigger heart.

Santos is the heart and soul of a Van team that is 8-1 and preparing for the Texas Class 3A playoffs next week. Ranked No. 93 in the latest ESPNU 150, Santos brings a level of intensity and passion to the football field that makes him popular among his peers. He also brings power that makes him a major threat to opposing players.

"He's blessed physically, but he's also worked extremely hard to put himself in the position he has," Van coach Jared Moffatt said. "The kid's 6-foot-3 and 255, 260 pounds, and he can run a 4.6 in the 40. That's not normal."

Santos will become the second player from Van to participate in the UA Game. Former Oklahoma running back Jermie Calhoun, who graduated from Van in 2008, played in the all-star game in January of the same year.

Being No. 2 -- in this case -- is something Santos carries with pride and respect, particularly with the love he has for Van and the people in it.

"It means a great deal to know what I've done has impacted a lot of people's lives here," Santos said. "That's an awesome feeling for me. You walk around and everybody knows you and says hi. They're happy, and they want to see me be successful. I couldn't be more happy, because Van is a great place."

World-class training
For the last three years, Santos has trained to be the best. Credit his trips to nearby Tyler, Texas, for the stellar improvements.

He works out with Bobby Stroupe at APEC (Accelerate Performance Enhancement Center), a cutting-edge, no-nonsense training facility. APEC has trained multiple well-known athletes, including Chicago Bears Pro Bowl receiver Johnny Knox and Green Bay Packers backup quarterback Matt Flynn, who won a Super Bowl title backing up Aaron Rodgers in February.

"Since I've been going there, I went from running a 5.2 [40-yard dash] my freshman year to a 4.6," Santos said. "I used to only bench press 225 pounds six times. Now, I can do it 22. My vertical went from 28 [inches] to 33.

"What [Stroupe] has done for me with the training and the nutritional side and work ethic has changed me as an athlete. It's all about the grind. If you go out and give all your effort, there's no way you won't get better. It's going to hurt, but you've got to do it if you want to be the best."

It's because of the training that Santos -- who is the size of a small college offensive lineman -- is a reliable memory of Van's three track and field relay teams. It's strange to some seeing a 255-pounder running with the more streamlined sprinters, but it's even odder to opponents when his team comes in first place because of his efforts.

"He ran on all three relays at the district track meet, and they won the district in all three," Moffatt said. "When you watch a kid that big run the quarter mile in 52 [seconds] flat, it's impressive."

Rock solid as a Vol
Santos originally committed to Oklahoma State in September 2010 but decommitted late May of this year to explore other options -- options that included 2012 SEC schools Alabama, Texas A&M and his current school, Tennessee.

He committed to Tennessee in August and, on Thursday, silenced rumors about him looking at other possibilities. Texas A&M's move to the SEC next fall made some believe Santos would try to play a little closer to home in the same conference.

"I'm strong with it. I love it up there," Santos said. "It's different from here, somewhere I can step out and grow as a person and a player. I love challenges, and this will be something different in my life. I'm solid there."

Santos is hoping to be a part of a recruiting class that can bring Tennessee back to its glory days. The Volunteers currently are 3-5 on the season, but the 2012 class has 18 commitments, including seven four-star players.

"He's going to be a great leader when he gets there," Moffatt said. "The thing some people around the country don't know about Dalton is that he's a tremendous worker. He's so motivated in being the best he can be, and anytime you have someone like that on a football team, it's a tremendous asset."

Santos added: "When I get there, they should expect a lot of what I consider to be the highest standard. As a person and a player, I feel like I can be one of the best linebackers around. I work to be the best. That's all I've ever done, and I'm not going to settle for anything less."

Damon Sayles covers recruiting in the Midlands for ESPN Recruiting. He can be reached at dsaylesespn@gmail.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------