PDA

View Full Version : Bad sportsmanship or just part of the game?

partimefan
11-02-2011, 09:47 AM
You guys help me out with a little debate Are these things bad sportsmanship or no?

-Ignoring other team's school song at the end of the game - - - having team meeting/huddle during the opposition's song?

-Before game - Visiting team huddling on the home team's mascot in the middle of the field as the home team runs in through their tunnel?

-During game, one band playing the other team's school song or fight song. (when not the same song.)

wimbo_pro
11-02-2011, 09:49 AM
You guys help me out with a little debate Are these things bad sportsmanship or no?

-Ignoring other team's school song at the end of the game - - - having team meeting/huddle during the opposition's song?

-Before game - Visiting team huddling on the home team's mascot in the middle of the field as the home team runs in through their tunnel?

-During game, one band playing the other team's school song or fight song. (when not the same song.)

I dontthink these things are disrespectful. Both sides go silent (more or less) at the beginning when the other side is playing their school song...thats good enough for me. It's not the national anthem, after all!

YTBulldogs
11-02-2011, 09:51 AM
I hope Sam Houston stomps on our logo in middle of field Friday.

Old Tiger
11-02-2011, 09:52 AM
1. Not a big deal especially after a loss. I know I didn't give a crap about the other schools song if we lost or if we won for all that matters.
2. I don't see a big deal as long as they aren't talking crap and trying to start a fight.
3. Not sure I understand what you are talking about.

Primetime13
11-02-2011, 09:53 AM
No for the first one, there are times when the coach is addressing his players in a huddle and the the other school starts playing there song, not your fault.

Going tothe middle of the field is not bad either. You have a tradition to run to the middle of the field before every game, thats cool go ahead an do that.

Now the last one is, its just like mocking the other school.

scrub c
11-02-2011, 10:37 AM
we used to run to the middle of the field--home or away, then we hurt somebody's feelings and they had a district rule put in so now we just run to our sideline at the 50... it dont bother our boys a bit.

Black_Magic
11-02-2011, 11:14 AM
This Reminds me of the people who get offended if we dont take a knee during an injury.. BTW we dont. not to disrespect anyone but the only time we take a knee on the field is to Pray. We dont expect or care if the other team does not take a knee... I think taking a knee must have been started by soccer moms or something when JR gets his ankle twisted..

Phil C
11-02-2011, 11:23 AM
This Reminds me of the people who get offended if we dont take a knee during an injury.. BTW we dont. not to disrespect anyone but the only time we take a knee on the field is to Pray. We dont expect or care if the other team does not take a knee... I think taking a knee must have been started by soccer moms or something when JR gets his ankle twisted..

Or a football Mom at a Little League football game. :)

But I don't recommend No. 2 if you are the visiting team. The field is big enough to where you don't have to meet on the home team's logo. Also no need to be disrespectful and risk getting them more fired up.

Farmersfan
11-02-2011, 12:38 PM
[quote

jason
11-02-2011, 12:42 PM
this thread reminds me of THIS (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?5294-I-have-a-COMPLAINT-on-the-LH-football-players)

classic downlow...

pirate4state
11-02-2011, 12:51 PM
this thread reminds me of THIS (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?5294-I-have-a-COMPLAINT-on-the-LH-football-players)

classic downlow... LOL gotta love the band fanatics!!!

In response to partimefan's post -- running out to the middle of the field is little league stuff, but if it's the only thing your (general) team has to look forward to -- go for it!

Red&White_9x5
11-02-2011, 12:57 PM

classic downlow...

After what I saw from the Burnet Bulldogs last Friday night, they have no room to be complaining about anyone. Truely classless last week

Emerson1
11-02-2011, 01:00 PM
After what I saw from the Burnet Bulldogs last Friday night, they have no room to be complaining about anyone. Truely classless last week
You should check the date of the first post on that thread...

Pendragon13
11-02-2011, 01:47 PM
1. somewhat disrespectful, but not a big deal unless they're doing it on purpose. Coaching staffs with a little class will order their team to stand at attention for the opponents school song win or lose.

2. If you do things like that, you better back it up with play on the field

3. I've never heard an opposing band play the other schools fight song unless it was the same as theirs...but in any case the band is all part of the atmosphere, but separate from what the coaches/players are doing.

BwdLion73
11-02-2011, 01:57 PM

classic downlow...

The first one is the best....."What if someone got hit with a football"!! :eek::):eek:

BrainTattoo
11-02-2011, 02:13 PM
I laughed out loud when I clicked the link and read that first post. I guess if someone got hit by a football then they should be allowed to argue from that angle... wait, no... that would mean we all laughed hysterically and enjoyed the show. :1popcorn:

As for the other concerns... I personally think it's all part of the game. Stand at attention during the National Anthem, play with heart and with class and all the rest of the stuff is just peripheral.

But I also think excessive celebration calls are ridiculous and that athletes who score touch downs should be allowed to spike the ball, back flip, cartwheel or whatever they want... they earned it.

ExScoop
11-02-2011, 07:09 PM
This happened two weeks ago when Boling played Brazos in Wallis
Lot of Wallis folks got offended