PDA

View Full Version : Energy drinks before games and at halftime

StangEm
11-02-2011, 09:09 AM
What are your takes on kids drinking Red Bull, Nos, Monster, etc before games and at halftime?

Buff42
11-02-2011, 09:42 AM
I know several oil and gas companies have outlawed them because of the dangers, especially in hot weather.

Pendragon13
11-02-2011, 09:43 AM
Not a big deal...except for the fact that kids that age often don't know the difference between enough and too much. One can of Red Bull (or other energy drink) before the game is ok...but they don't really need one at halftime. Any more than one energy drink a day is simply pumping too much caffiene and B12 (or whatever) into your body....which your body then naturally disposes of.

Old Tiger
11-02-2011, 09:45 AM
We got ripped for taking the ginseng energy pills before games when a coach found the wrapper in the trash can.

I just always drank a 12 oz dr pepper before games...never effected me.

StangEm
11-02-2011, 09:56 AM
I have always had mixed emotions about them. You always hear stories about kids who are all jacked up the first half and then they crater in the second half because they've use whatever energy they had stored naturally.
A kid I coached a few years back who swore by them and drank two Red Bull's before each game. The head coach at the time didn't bat an eye at it and so I just followed suit. Now that I'm older I see the purpose but at the same time I can see other ways to get yourself energetically prepared......like maybe sleep??

Leopard4Life
11-02-2011, 10:16 AM
I've got a buddy who is a trainer for the Cowboys. They recommend no caffeine, processed sugars and potatoes. They cause a crash, contribute to soreness and negatively affect recovery time.

I quit caffeine and it made a huge difference in joint soreness (I play basketball at least twice a week). I also cut out potatoes but didn’t physically feel any difference.

BEAST
11-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Spark and Rehydrate by AdvoCare. The other stuff is bad for you.

BEAST

Old Tiger
11-02-2011, 10:40 AM

BEASTI like the Spark by AdvoCare. Helps with focusing as well.

For recovery I prefer

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2133643

icu812
11-02-2011, 10:49 AM
There is a potential risk taking them and no real benefit. Not sure if its true but energy drinks have been blamed for the deaths of high school athletes. Lots of good options out there but energy drinks are not one of them. IMO, even for non athletes they are not a good idea.

BrainTattoo
11-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Typically I say anything in moderation is OK, but this is one that I am uncomfortable with. I think energy drinks aren't great for people in general and especially harmful in an athlete. The caffeine, the sugar, the crash, etc are all negative effects that can be amplified during an athlete's performance. It's also been linked to heart issues in some people. (Tried to find the article I read a few weeks ago to post a link but can't seem to... I will keep looking).

Emerson1
11-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Might as well give them water with a little bit of flavoring and tell them it's the best energy drink they can drink and it would benefit them more then chugging a red bull or monster right before a game.

warhorsejoe
11-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Here at Devine ISD, it is outlawed them because of the dangers. No longer allowed in any campus. :clap:

warhorsejoe
11-02-2011, 01:36 PM
I've got a buddy who is a trainer for the Cowboys. They recommend no caffeine, processed sugars and potatoes. They cause a crash, contribute to soreness and negatively affect recovery time.

I quit caffeine and it made a huge difference in joint soreness (I play basketball at least twice a week). I also cut out potatoes but didn’t physically feel any difference.

good to know. thanks!

Dr Death
11-03-2011, 12:14 PM
http://www.uiltexas.org/files/athletics/manuals/SB7-Appendix.pdf

UIL recommends that you shouldnt.
It is a behavior expectation of coaches. If a kid is getting it at halftime, his coach should know better.

slingshot
11-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Just say no. No good comes from energy drinks... Advocare Spark is no better. I have admitted several teens to the hospital with tachycardia/abnormal heart rhythms and seizures due to 'energy drinks'.

Emerson1
11-03-2011, 03:17 PM
http://www.uiltexas.org/files/athletics/manuals/SB7-Appendix.pdf

UIL recommends that you shouldnt.
It is a behavior expectation of coaches. If a kid is getting it at halftime, his coach should know better.
Geez who wrote that thing? Companyies, comunity.

Emerson1
11-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Just say no. No good comes from energy drinks... Advocare Spark is no better. I have admitted several teens to the hospital with tachycardia/abnormal heart rhythms and seizures due to 'energy drinks'.
I drink http://www.beachbody.com/text/products/supplements/p90xresultsrecoveryformula/P90XLBL300_REV111310.pdf after workouts. No caffeine. Only time I ever drink caffeine is during long drives and it's non stop so I don't get a sugar crash.

Advocare Spark looks like it would be decent if you are working out to get some mary j out of your system. That's probably why Old Tiger uses it.

BuckeyeNut
11-03-2011, 03:23 PM
There is always a crash after you drink them.

Emerson1
11-03-2011, 03:32 PM
There is always a crash after you drink them.
Once I get home and am ready to nap :D

hollywood
11-03-2011, 03:41 PM

BEAST

:iagree:

Used those 2 products along with O2 Gold for the HHH in Wichita Falls last August... kicked some serious arse. I'm a believer.

yellaseeker
11-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Caffeine definately does not help with hydration which is vital. Like someone said earlier, adequate rest including sleep and making sure your hydrated before and on game day is one thing we stress at home. My kids are only allowed to have very few soft drinks during football season, period. Mine have seen the difference in good hydration and the lack of it in games personally and in other athletes and recognize the benefit of drinking mostly water and plenty of it. I have seen players that were amp'd up enough on some of that stuff that their judgment was obscured. IMO, bottom line is, 99% of all of this junk being marketed today have more negative effects than positive and are potentially harmful, short and long term.