PDA

View Full Version : What is your take on Dez?

Farmersfan
11-01-2011, 07:45 AM
It appears more and more as time goes by Dez Bryant is going to prove all those naysayers correct. Read this article from a reporter who followed Dez on every play in Sunday's game. There are reports that many of the other players are starting to complain about Dez's attitude in the locker room and on the sidelines. This is quite likely the first REAL test of Garretts coaching ability. If he can't rein in Dez Bryant then the Cowboys will have to get rid of Dez or this thing will turn into another fiasco like Wade Phililps had. Thoughts?

One sentence in this article really bothers me for some reason: "After the game, Bryant spent a solid three or four minutes looking for one player in particular: Mike Vick. He grabbed Vick and gave him a huge hug."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/15929974/bryants-strange-antics-look-destined-to-burn-cowboys

nobogey72
11-01-2011, 08:07 AM
It appears more and more as time goes by Dez Bryant is going to prove all those naysayers correct. Read this article from a reporter who followed Dez on every play in Sunday's game. There are reports that many of the other players are starting to complain about Dez's attitude in the locker room and on the sidelines. This is quite likely the first REAL test of Garretts coaching ability. If he can't rein in Dez Bryant then the Cowboys will have to get rid of Dez or this thing will turn into another fiasco like Wade Phililps had. Thoughts?

One sentence in this article really bothers me for some reason: "After the game, Bryant spent a solid three or four minutes looking for one player in particular: Mike Vick. He grabbed Vick and gave him a huge hug."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/15929974/bryants-strange-antics-look-destined-to-burn-cowboys

Who knows. I'm sure he's got some issues, but I do think it is strange that they aren't trying to get the ball in his hands more. His talent is unquestionable. Who knows what goes on in the locker room and practice field.?

Farmersfan
11-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Who knows. I'm sure he's got some issues, but I do think it is strange that they aren't trying to get the ball in his hands more. His talent is unquestionable. Who knows what goes on in the locker room and practice field.?

Talent without discipline and work ethic is nothing more than potential......................

If his poor route running and taking plays off has caused Romo to stop trusting him then he has lost his effectiveness on this offense. At some point his value to this team is offset by his distraction! The question is: Where is that point?

Pendragon13
11-01-2011, 08:35 AM
This sort of thing is nothing new. Forget about Owens, anyone here old enough to remember..

wait for it..

wait..

Michael Irvin?

Everyone complained that the Cowboys lacked that kind of passion after Irvin retired, and now we have it back and everyone is concerned. Of course the big difference is that Irvin rarely let his emotional style of play get in the way of sound fundamentals like route running and knowing exactly what he was supposed to do on any given play. The fact is...if the Cowboys had been on the other side of the scoreboard Sunday night, whoever this is that "followed" Bryant would probably have a different take on his behavior..

Macarthur
11-01-2011, 08:38 AM
I agree this is a big litmus test for Garrett. Jimmy Robinson was supposed to be a great WR coach so I'm not sure what's up with that.

As for Dez, everything I've read leads me to believe Dez is not a bad kid, and I use the term kid on purpose. He has some significant maturity issues which I have also read that he is much better now than when he first arrived. I also think everyone needs to give some thought to where this kid came from; the vast majority of us can not even begin to grasp the upbringing Dez was faced with.

Having said that, at some point you have to grow up. I just hope it happens soon.

Bullaholic
11-01-2011, 08:45 AM
Dez Bryant can be as good as he wants to be in the NFL. However, I see a lot of Randy Moss in him---running less than all out and not finishing on patterns when he thinks he is not going to be thrown to or get in the spotlight.

Macarthur
11-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Dez Bryant can be as good as he wants to be in the NFL. However, I see a lot of Randy Moss in him---running less than all out and not finishing on patterns when he thinks he is not going to be thrown to or get in the spotlight.

I don't know I think Dez's deal is different than Randy. Randy would quit on you, no doubt. I don't think Dez is a quitter; I think he wants to win really really bad. I just don't think he's got the maturity to channel that passion into work ethic and the details that it takes to win on this level.

Txbroadcaster
11-01-2011, 09:26 AM
I think people forget he has been in the league all of a year and a half..As Mac said he is a kid as far as the NFL goes...The bad route running is not uncommon in young players

as far as the sideline stuff..I do have to say..this guy is not a beat writer and says this happens every week...why has none of the guys who follow Dallas week in and week out wrote about it?

Macarthur
11-01-2011, 09:47 AM
I think people forget he has been in the league all of a year and a half..As Mac said he is a kid as far as the NFL goes...The bad route running is not uncommon in young players

as far as the sideline stuff..I do have to say..this guy is not a beat writer and says this happens every week...why has none of the guys who follow Dallas week in and week out wrote about it?

I didn't like the tone of the piece either. Everything I've read from the local folks is that Dez, while still having some issues, is much much further along than he was last year.

Bullaholic
11-01-2011, 10:03 AM
I have a problem with players being given a lot of rope just because they are very talented. Dez Bryant needs to follow Wes Welker around for a while and take notes. Welker came into the NFL too little and too slow, but has been at the top, or near the top, in receptions over the last 2 seasons. It has to do with working hard everyday in all facets of the game, especially game preparation, and on every snap---not just when the spotlight may shine. Like TO and Randy Moss, that exceptional talent will see you through to a point over character issues---but after that point your fellow players, coaches, and fans get enough and just give up on you. I sincerely hope Dez Bryant comes to this realization before it is too late.

nobogey72
11-01-2011, 10:08 AM
I'm still confused as to why they're not getting him the ball more. I'm sure there's a reason, I'd just like to know what it is. He's not the first prima-dona with a questionable attitude to come along

Macarthur
11-01-2011, 10:11 AM
I have a problem with players being given a lot of rope just because they are very talented. Dez Bryant needs to follow Wes Welker around for a while and take notes. Welker came into the NFL too little and too slow, but has been at the top, or near the top, in receptions over the last 2 seasons. It has to do with working hard everyday in all facets of the game, especially game preparation, and on every snap---not just when the spotlight may shine. Like TO and Randy Moss, that exceptional talent will see you through to a point over character issues---but after that point your fellow players, coaches, and fans get enough and just give up on you. I sincerely hope Dez Bryant comes to this realization before it is too late.

But hold on a minute. I don't think Dez has 'character' issues. He has never been in any real trouble. He did have the jewelry issue, but I've been told that in these big sports cities, jewelers make stuff forathletes all the time and tell them something to the effect 'don't worry about paying me right now, we'll work it out...'

Did you read the article last year by JJ Taylor on Dez? Most of us can not even fathom the challenges of the type of upbringing this kid was exposed.

Talented people will always get the benefit of the doubt in all facets of life, not just sports.

I agree that is work ethic needs to get better and if you read some of the LOCAL reporters, he is doing much better than he was last year. I just think everyone needs to tap the breaks on the criticism of Dez. He has not played a lot of football the last 2 to 2.5 years, and WR is a position that it sometimes takes kids some time to adjust. He hasn't even played a full season in the last couple of years. We're gonna have to be patient.

Bullaholic
11-01-2011, 10:29 AM
But hold on a minute. I don't think Dez has 'character' issues. He has never been in any real trouble. He did have the jewelry issue, but I've been told that in these big sports cities, jewelers make stuff forathletes all the time and tell them something to the effect 'don't worry about paying me right now, we'll work it out...'

Did you read the article last year by JJ Taylor on Dez? Most of us can not even fathom the challenges of the type of upbringing this kid was exposed.

Talented people will always get the benefit of the doubt in all facets of life, not just sports.

I agree that is work ethic needs to get better and if you read some of the LOCAL reporters, he is doing much better than he was last year. I just think everyone needs to tap the breaks on the criticism of Dez. He has not played a lot of football the last 2 to 2.5 years, and WR is a position that it sometimes takes kids some time to adjust. He hasn't even played a full season in the last couple of years. We're gonna have to be patient.

Mac...

1. Dez Bryant would have been a Top 3 draft pick if not for his baggage. He dropped low enough because of his personal issues for the Cowboys to take a gamble on him.

2. I have read about several abused kids who grew up to put "Dr." in front of their name, despite their environmental and family circumstances. Cream rises to the top.

3. I wonder how many of Dez's teammates appreciate his "improving" work ethic right about now? This is the NFL played by grown men who supposedly have enough maturity to know what they should be doing every day to help their teams---and DO it.

Macarthur
11-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Mac...

1. Dez Bryant would have been a Top 3 draft pick if not for his baggage. He dropped low enough because of his personal issues for the Cowboys to take a gamble on him.

And? No one is saying that he didn't have any baggage. The issue is whether he is a bad person. Everything I've read says that he is not a bad person. He's just a guy that has maturity issues.

2. I have read about several abused kids who grew up to put "Dr." in front of their name, despite their environmental and family circumstances. Cream rises to the top.

So what? You don't think that the point that Dez has brought himself right now is noteworthy? Given that background, he was able to have a succesful college career and parlay that into a promising pro career. Your comment is actually kinda proving my point. Given his background, I think it's a testament to him and his talent.

3. I wonder how many of Dez's teammates appreciate his "improving" work ethic right about now? This is the NFL played by grown men who supposedly have enough maturity to know what they should be doing every day to help their teams---and DO it.

Not sure, but again, I think it's interesting that not a single beat reporter from the Metroplex has published a single word this year about any Cowboys having an issue with Dez. Now a national writer comes in and all of the sudden he's not popular in the locker room. Sorry, I'm not buying that.

Yes, he is expected to be a professional and again, by all indications he is better than he was last year. Not every guy that comes into the league at 22 is the most mature. It takes some time - that's all I'm saying. This kid hasn't been at this very long.

Bullaholic
11-01-2011, 10:51 AM
And? No one is saying that he didn't have any baggage. The issue is whether he is a bad person. Everything I've read says that he is not a bad person. He's just a guy that has maturity issues.

So what? You don't think that the point that Dez has brought himself right now is noteworthy? Given that background, he was able to have a succesful college career and parlay that into a promising pro career. Your comment is actually kinda proving my point. Given his background, I think it's a testament to him and his talent.

Not sure, but again, I think it's interesting that not a single beat reporter from the Metroplex has published a single word this year about any Cowboys having an issue with Dez. Now a national writer comes in and all of the sudden he's not popular in the locker room. Sorry, I'm not buying that.

Yes, he is expected to be a professional and again, by all indications he is better than he was last year. Not every guy that comes into the league at 22 is the most mature. It takes some time - that's all I'm saying. This kid hasn't been at this very long.

I'll agree that Dez doesn't have a criminal record, but I do see another Antonio Bryant situation happening with him. I sure hope not--if he gets his head on straight Dez could be a game changer late in the season.

Macarthur
11-01-2011, 10:59 AM
I'll agree that Dez doesn't have a criminal record, but I do see another Antonio Bryant situation happening with him. I sure hope not--if he gets his head on straight Dez could be a game changer late in the season.

Well, Bryant was punk and yelled at coaches, etc. So far, there is no indication that Dez is disrespectful in that manner. Again, his issue is maturity.

I find it interesting how some guys behavior on the sidelines is characterized. I heard some people on the radio saying that Dez was the only one showing any emotion; he was the only one pissed about getting his butt beat, etc. Now, a couple of days later I reading about Dez's 'antics' and that he's a punk (I know you didn't say punk).

I guarantee if Witten had been on the sidelines yelling, everyone would be gushing over the leadership shown by Witten. Dez does it and he's trouble.

Sportshack
11-01-2011, 11:09 AM
I pull for the longhorns. I recall Dez Bryant's years at OSU. Freakishly gifted from an athletic standpoint but somehow mostly seemed quiet during those OSU-UT games. He seems like a front runner that can definitely beat up on inferior athletes but has a harder time competing as favorably against better players when it takes more than just being physically talented to compete. It truly seems like the guy rarely gets open. Weird for such ability. Beast mode in 1st half of Lions' game and never heard from in 2nd half. Seems to rely too much on physical ability without developing in the cerbral aspects of game like how to create separation without just running by someone or outjumping them.

Macarthur
11-01-2011, 11:18 AM
I pull for the longhorns. I recall Dez Bryant's years at OSU. Freakishly gifted from an athletic standpoint but somehow mostly seemed quiet during those OSU-UT games. He seems like a front runner that can definitely beat up on inferior athletes but has a harder time competing as favorably against better players when it takes more than just being physically talented to compete. It truly seems like the guy rarely gets open. Weird for such ability. Beast mode in 1st half of Lions' game and never heard from in 2nd half. Seems to rely too much on physical ability without developing in the cerbral aspects of game like how to create separation without just running by someone or outjumping them.

Go back and watch a couple of those plays against Reavis. Dez is a beast. Reavis got in his head and messed with him, but early in that game, he made a couple of plays on Reavis and made him look bad.

Farmersfan
11-01-2011, 12:12 PM
It's probably based on a lot of Cowboy homerism but there seems to be a lot of people on here willing to give Dez a lot more leeway than most other players would get. A also think this has been the case with much of Dez's life up to this point. I'm thinking someone needs to rap him on the noggin and let him know that the harsh reality is that Dez doesn't get anything that Dez doesn't earn from this point forward..............................
You know things are going south on you when Dion Sanders washes his hands of you! Just sayin!

Old Tiger
11-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Dez has never had to run good routes....

Txbroadcaster
11-01-2011, 12:35 PM
forward..............................
You know things are going south on you when Dion Sanders washes his hands of you! Just sayin!

Because Sanders asked him to lie and it backfired on Dez

Macarthur
11-02-2011, 09:44 AM
It's probably based on a lot of Cowboy homerism but there seems to be a lot of people on here willing to give Dez a lot more leeway than most other players would get. A also think this has been the case with much of Dez's life up to this point. I'm thinking someone needs to rap him on the noggin and let him know that the harsh reality is that Dez doesn't get anything that Dez doesn't earn from this point forward..............................

Couple of things. Let me start with Deion. Deion is in it for Deion. I do not fault Dez one bit for parting ways with Deion.

I am one of the ones that thinks he should get a bit of slack because of his past. BUT, I do agree that he can only use that so much. I do also agree that someone does need to get to him and 'knock him on the head', tough love, whatever the method and make him understand what it means to be a professional.

BUT, that can't and shouldn't come from middle aged white guys. He needs someone like an Irvin to sit down with him and help him become a man. I'm sure Irvin has spoken with him but I don't know what their relationship is.

And again, as for on the field, it is not unusual for WR's to take a couple of years to adjust to the NFL game. Dez has yet to play one full season and this is coming off of missing virtually all his last year in college. I do think it's going to take him a bit more time to get the on the field aspect. I think everyone sees the physical tools and just jumps to the conclusion that he should just start dominating games and that's just not how it works. I was listening to one of the readio stations leading up to the Lions game and they were saying that many in Detroit, prior to the start of this year, were whispering that Megatron had been a bust. He was a guy that was now a 4th year player and really had shown no consistent play at the WR position. He had shown flashes, but had yet to put it together for multiple games (sound familiar)...Of course, he had blown up this year, but let's not forget that its taken him a couple of years to get this down.

Farmersfan
11-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Couple of things. Let me start with Deion. Deion is in it for Deion. I do not fault Dez one bit for parting ways with Deion.

I am one of the ones that thinks he should get a bit of slack because of his past. BUT, I do agree that he can only use that so much. I do also agree that someone does need to get to him and 'knock him on the head', tough love, whatever the method and make him understand what it means to be a professional.

BUT, that can't and shouldn't come from middle aged white guys. He needs someone like an Irvin to sit down with him and help him become a man. I'm sure Irvin has spoken with him but I don't know what their relationship is.

And again, as for on the field, it is not unusual for WR's to take a couple of years to adjust to the NFL game. Dez has yet to play one full season and this is coming off of missing virtually all his last year in college. I do think it's going to take him a bit more time to get the on the field aspect. I think everyone sees the physical tools and just jumps to the conclusion that he should just start dominating games and that's just not how it works. I was listening to one of the readio stations leading up to the Lions game and they were saying that many in Detroit, prior to the start of this year, were whispering that Megatron had been a bust. He was a guy that was now a 4th year player and really had shown no consistent play at the WR position. He had shown flashes, but had yet to put it together for multiple games (sound familiar)...Of course, he had blown up this year, but let's not forget that its taken him a couple of years to get this down.

The issues that are being talked about with Dez ARE UNUSUAL in the NFL. There have been a few throughout history such as T.O., Keyshon, Ocho Cinco and several others that command the spotlight and had a reputation for big mouths. but the vast majority of those didn't create the OFF FIELD crap until they were able to produce on the field. Dez is a distraction without giving the team anything in exchange. That in my opinion leads me to believe Dez has a character problem. He values himself way too much! Even without putting up numbers he seems to think he is a force and deserves better than he is getting. Kind of reminds me of the little mexican hairless behind the fence raising all kinds of hell at the 90lb pitbull walking down the street. There simply isn't a logical reason for the lack of judgement there! Dez needs to shut the hell up until he becomes a player that people might actually want to listen to. Right now even his own QB just rolls his eyes and turns away.

Macarthur
11-02-2011, 01:37 PM
The issues that are being talked about with Dez ARE UNUSUAL in the NFL. There have been a few throughout history such as T.O., Keyshon, Ocho Cinco and several others that command the spotlight and had a reputation for big mouths. but the vast majority of those didn't create the OFF FIELD crap until they were able to produce on the field. Dez is a distraction without giving the team anything in exchange. That in my opinion leads me to believe Dez has a character problem. He values himself way too much! Even without putting up numbers he seems to think he is a force and deserves better than he is getting. Kind of reminds me of the little mexican hairless behind the fence raising all kinds of hell at the 90lb pitbull walking down the street. There simply isn't a logical reason for the lack of judgement there! Dez needs to shut the hell up until he becomes a player that people might actually want to listen to. Right now even his own QB just rolls his eyes and turns away.

NFL WRs, by in large, are divas. This is nothing new and I think it's more normal than you're willing to admit.

The character issue is pure conjecture on your part. Simply not having a criminal record may not be a good barometer for you and I with regards to character, but when discussing pro athletes, Dez's 'antics' and jewelry thing are barely a blip on the radar.

Farmersfan
11-02-2011, 02:02 PM
NFL WRs, by in large, are divas. This is nothing new and I think it's more normal than you're willing to admit.

The character issue is pure conjecture on your part. Simply not having a criminal record may not be a good barometer for you and I with regards to character, but when discussing pro athletes, Dez's 'antics' and jewelry thing are barely a blip on the radar.

Point taken! but I have lived almost 50 years and have developed a pretty good "PROBLEM" radar system. Dez sets it off big time. But I also call BS on the blip on the radar comment. Based on time in the league, production on the field and pretty much any other factor you want to add in the equation Dez is head and shoulders above the normal level of problems and issues. If he is this much trouble now, how much trouble will he be if he becomes as dynamic on the field as everyone hopes he will? He is well on his way to making T.O. and Keyshon look like little angels.

Macarthur
11-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Point taken! but I have lived almost 50 years and have developed a pretty good "PROBLEM" radar system. Dez sets it off big time. But I also call BS on the blip on the radar comment. Based on time in the league, production on the field and pretty much any other factor you want to add in the equation Dez is head and shoulders above the normal level of problems and issues. If he is this much trouble now, how much trouble will he be if he becomes as dynamic on the field as everyone hopes he will? He is well on his way to making T.O. and Keyshon look like little angels.

He many end up being a TO. As for his antics, i guess we have a different barometer on what should register on the radar and what should not.

Farmersfan
11-03-2011, 07:22 AM
He many end up being a TO. As for his antics, i guess we have a different barometer on what should register on the radar and what should not.

Of course he might suddenly see the error of his ways and become a great talent and a model citizen! Though it's not likely IMHO! As far as the barometer goes I think anything that disrupts, distracts, disrespects or disturbs the continuity of the locker room will show up on my radar. A great player with ton's of productivity can inspire his teammates with selfish antics and there are ton of players who have done so but I can't see anyone on the team viewing Dez as anything other than a loud mouth right now. But maybe that's just me! My biggest concern with this whole issue is more about the fact that we have been lead to believe it was a new day and a new attitude in Valley Ranch these days with J. Garrett at the helm. But it appears to me J. Garrett has no more discipline with his players than Wade Phililps did. Makes me believe that Jerry is still the final voice with this team and we all know that Jerry coddles players.

Txbroadcaster
11-03-2011, 07:50 AM
Of course he might suddenly see the error of his ways and become a great talent and a model citizen! Though it's not likely IMHO! As far as the barometer goes I think anything that disrupts, distracts, disrespects or disturbs the continuity of the locker room will show up on my radar. A great player with ton's of productivity can inspire his teammates with selfish antics and there are ton of players who have done so but I can't see anyone on the team viewing Dez as anything other than a loud mouth right now. But maybe that's just me! My biggest concern with this whole issue is more about the fact that we have been lead to believe it was a new day and a new attitude in Valley Ranch these days with J. Garrett at the helm. But it appears to me J. Garrett has no more discipline with his players than Wade Phililps did. Makes me believe that Jerry is still the final voice with this team and we all know that Jerry coddles players.

I still find it odd a national writer watches the sideline and has all of this insight about Dez and the locker room when not one writer who follows the team daily has shared the same information..and this is a town where the media will write about the smallest thing about Dallas just to have a story, yet no one has said Dez is a problem in the locker room

Sportshack
11-03-2011, 07:50 AM
Go back and watch a couple of those plays against Reavis. Dez is a beast. Reavis got in his head and messed with him, but early in that game, he made a couple of plays on Reavis and made him look bad.

I was trying to convey that he CAN be a beast but tends to fade on bigger stages... what happened in Jets game...after some early really great plays...he wilted as the game went on...same in Lions' game. Having otherwordly talent can sometimes slow down learning curve because players and their egos have not embraced the need to work and learn. He might end up being the best yet but there is nothing I have seen in say last 6 years or so except some freakish talent and some big plays against mostly inferior opponents. Oh he will make some plays against even the best but seemingly not when it means the most and not on consistent basis. I will admit, this is just an impression that I developed over the years of watching him in college and so far it seems as if he is on similar path in NFL. Probably will prove me wrong.

Macarthur
11-03-2011, 09:10 AM
I still find it odd a national writer watches the sideline and has all of this insight about Dez and the locker room when not one writer who follows the team daily has shared the same information..and this is a town where the media will write about the smallest thing about Dallas just to have a story, yet no one has said Dez is a problem in the locker room

This is kinda my issue, too. We have not read a single negative thing from the local beat writers this year about Dez. If fact, everything has been that he is much better than last year. Yet, a national guy tunes into a guy that was upset about his team getting drilled and all of the sudden the guys a cancer.

Also, Aikman had his weekly show this morning on the ticket. He didn't think it was much to worry about. He also drew parallels to Irvin and said there wasn't a WR that ever played in the league that didn't want the ball on every play. Aikman said everything he's heard out of the ranch has been positive about Dez. Aikman doesn't mix words; if he's okay with him, I think we should be too, at this point.

Txbroadcaster
11-03-2011, 09:34 AM
This is kinda my issue, too. We have not read a single negative thing from the local beat writers this year about Dez. If fact, everything has been that he is much better than last year. Yet, a national guy tunes into a guy that was upset about his team getting drilled and all of the sudden the guys a cancer.

Also, Aikman had his weekly show this morning on the ticket. He didn't think it was much to worry about. He also drew parallels to Irvin and said there wasn't a WR that ever played in the league that didn't want the ball on every play. Aikman said everything he's heard out of the ranch has been positive about Dez. Aikman doesn't mix words; if he's okay with him, I think we should be too, at this point.

It was odd how the writer who again WAS NOT ON THE SIDELINE gave opinions on how Romo reacted to Dez and painted as Romo is fed up with him...Romo was acting like any QB would to his WR asking for the ball more..just ok and turn away cause he does not want to keep hearing it

Steve Young said Rice would annoy him so much on the sideline that Young would fake talking on the phone to the Off Cord just to get Rice to shut up lol

Farmersfan
11-03-2011, 09:54 AM

I'm not real sure what "local media" you have been reading or listening to. Seems to me local media is ripping Dez a new one every single week. The single biggest subject on talk radio is Dez Bryants antics on the sidelines and his lack of production on the field.

Txbroadcaster
11-03-2011, 10:02 AM
I'm not real sure what "local media" you have been reading or listening to. Seems to me local media is ripping Dez a new one every single week. The single biggest subject on talk radio is Dez Bryants antics on the sidelines and his lack of production on the field.

I have heard it in maybe 3 segments across the stations and everyone of them was it is not that big of a deal

Farmersfan
11-03-2011, 10:06 AM
It was odd how the writer who again WAS NOT ON THE SIDELINE gave opinions on how Romo reacted to Dez and painted as Romo is fed up with him...Romo was acting like any QB would to his WR asking for the ball more..just ok and turn away cause he does not want to keep hearing it

Steve Young said Rice would annoy him so much on the sideline that Young would fake talking on the phone to the Off Cord just to get Rice to shut up lol

And yet you were not on the sidelines and you have your opinions that disagrees with him! hummmmmmmm seems a bit of a contradiction to me.

And I guess your statement means you think Dez is another Jerry Rice? Jerry Rice had a right to demand the ball. Dez has no rights to demand anything. That's just the point.

Txbroadcaster
11-03-2011, 10:11 AM
And yet you were not on the sidelines and you have your opinions that disagrees with him! hummmmmmmm seems a bit of a contradiction to me.

And I guess your statement means you think Dez is another Jerry Rice? Jerry Rice had a right to demand the ball. Dez has no rights to demand anything. That's just the point.

wow way to take a leap there...it means WRs demand the ball and get pissy on the sidelines..Rice, Irvin, Moss, TO, Drew Pearson, Miles Austin etc etc do it( in fact in philly game there was a shot of Dez griping at WR coach and Austin griping to Romo..it simply is what happens

I do also find it odd..Romo gets trashed for showing no reaction on sideline..Bryant gets trashed for showing reaction...where is the medium?

Farmersfan
11-03-2011, 10:11 AM
I have heard it in maybe 3 segments across the stations and everyone of them was it is not that big of a deal

Google is your friend.

Txbroadcaster
11-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Google is your friend.

and all it pulled up thru 4 pages is this article, one a fan wrote and some on last year's T-Day game

Farmersfan
11-03-2011, 10:32 AM
wow way to take a leap there...it means WRs demand the ball and get pissy on the sidelines..Rice, Irvin, Moss, TO, Drew Pearson, Miles Austin etc etc do it( in fact in philly game there was a shot of Dez griping at WR coach and Austin griping to Romo..it simply is what happens

I do also find it odd..Romo gets trashed for showing no reaction on sideline..Bryant gets trashed for showing reaction...where is the medium?

Now you are bashing me for taking a leap? You are the one disagreeing with a writer because "he wasn't on the field" when you also weren't on the field.

And you use too wide a brush to paint wide receivers when give excuses for Dez TXB. SOME wide receivers demand the ball. we have already established this. SOME wide receivers are Divas! SOME wide receivers yell at their QB's and coaches! But I have already asked for the name of another receiver in the history of the game that had the reputation that Dez has already gotten while only being the #90th ranked receiver in the league. It normally requires a receiver to establish themselves a little bit before they act this way. Even M. Craptree in S.F. isn't as bad a Dez and he was the ultimate Diva in college. I hope the kid gets his stuff together and becomes the next Jerry Rice and he can scream for the ball all he wants. Until then I think J. Garrett needs to put a muzzle on him because it sends the WRONG message to the rest of the world.

Have you been hearing the details of the organizational collaspe of the Boston Red Sox? A breakdown in discipline is a bad thing no matter how insignificant you might think it is. Just sayin'!

Macarthur
11-03-2011, 10:37 AM

I don't necessarily consider talk radio the same as beat reporters/reporters. They have to fill time and generate interest/buzz and I love the ticket, but those guys are about as tuned into the team as I am.

Farmersfan
11-03-2011, 10:42 AM
and all it pulled up thru 4 pages is this article, one a fan wrote and some on last year's T-Day game

Geez! There's no end to your burying your head in the sand is there?

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/03/29/2959537/cowboys-bryant-faces-two-lawsuits.html
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/838862-dez-bryant-cowboys-wrs-money-problems-expose-immaturity-as-person-and-player
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20100331-Dez-Bryant-I-ain-1441.ece
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=202&articleid=20110505_202_B1_LSEKSN408342
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-03/dez-bryant/story/dez-bryants-immature-behavior-hurting-the-nfl-players-pr-strategy
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14871152/bryant-has-bigger-problems-than-wearing-his-pants-too-low
http:http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/09/dez-bryant-my-surroundings-cau.html//bleacherreport.com/articles/647588-barry-bonds-phil-mickelson-frozen-four-and-mondays-late-sports-news/entry/57146-dez-bryant-more-trouble-brewing-for-young-cowboys-receiver
http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/09/06/3341701/source-cowboys-bryant-may-need.html
http://profootball.scout.com/2/1104122.html
http://www.examiner.com/dallas-cowboys-in-dallas/dallas-cowboys-part-1-dez-bryant-s-finacial-problems-lead-to-pobe-by-the-ncaa

These were all on the first 2 pages. All about the troubles of Dez Bryant!

Txbroadcaster
11-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Geez! There's no end to your burying your head in the sand is there?

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/03/29/2959537/cowboys-bryant-faces-two-lawsuits.html
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/838862-dez-bryant-cowboys-wrs-money-problems-expose-immaturity-as-person-and-player
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20100331-Dez-Bryant-I-ain-1441.ece
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=202&articleid=20110505_202_B1_LSEKSN408342
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-03/dez-bryant/story/dez-bryants-immature-behavior-hurting-the-nfl-players-pr-strategy
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14871152/bryant-has-bigger-problems-than-wearing-his-pants-too-low
http:http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/09/dez-bryant-my-surroundings-cau.html//bleacherreport.com/articles/647588-barry-bonds-phil-mickelson-frozen-four-and-mondays-late-sports-news/entry/57146-dez-bryant-more-trouble-brewing-for-young-cowboys-receiver
http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/09/06/3341701/source-cowboys-bryant-may-need.html
http://profootball.scout.com/2/1104122.html
http://www.examiner.com/dallas-cowboys-in-dallas/dallas-cowboys-part-1-dez-bryant-s-finacial-problems-lead-to-pobe-by-the-ncaa

These were all on the first 2 pages. All about the troubles of Dez Bryant!

Mac and I are talking about what the article said FF..that he was causing problems in locker room and we said it was odd he had that info but the beat writers who follow the team have not wrote one thing on it

Farmersfan
11-03-2011, 10:56 AM
I don't necessarily consider talk radio the same as beat reporters/reporters. They have to fill time and generate interest/buzz and I love the ticket, but those guys are about as tuned into the team as I am.

I can't really disagree with that. Talk radio is different but that doesn't mean they are less informed or less credible. I find talk radio hosts to normally be more open to discussing these issues for what they are. Beat Writers tend to have a self interest to promote. Getting on the wrong side of the players is a death sentence to a Cowboy's beat writer. They must walk a fine line. The same applies to Troy Aikman! Regardless of how much of straight shooter he likes to pretend to be he is actually only trying to walk the fence as much as he can. He doesn't have the personality that would allow him to create controversy about his comments. I don't we EVER hear what Troy is really thinking about any given situation.

Txbroadcaster
11-03-2011, 11:00 AM
I can't really disagree with that. Talk radio is different but that doesn't mean they are less informed or less credible. I find talk radio hosts to normally be more open to discussing these issues for what they are. Beat Writers tend to have a self interest to promote. Getting on the wrong side of the players is a death sentence to a Cowboy's beat writer. They must walk a fine line. The same applies to Troy Aikman! Regardless of how much of straight shooter he likes to pretend to be he is actually only trying to walk the fence as much as he can. He doesn't have the personality that would allow him to create controversy about his comments. I don't we EVER hear what Troy is really thinking about any given situation.

I really dont think Troy cares enough to have a filter..he has said some pretty hot sports comments in the past on the Cowboys

Beat writers are going to write what they see or they wont have a job for long..If every beat writer for the Cowboys sat on this issue and a national guy in one game was to get a scoop this big they would all be in danger of losing their jobs

Yes players get mad at certain writers, but as long as a writer is not straight out lying about issues he will always have sources inside the lockeroom

Hell Skip Bayless was hated by 95% of the Cowboys during his days, yet he still had a source or two that gav him reliable info

Farmersfan
11-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Mac and I are talking about what the article said FF..that he was causing problems in locker room and we said it was odd he had that info but the beat writers who follow the team have not wrote one thing on it

Alright! I stand corrected. Even though about half those articles are about Dez's on field and locker room antics.

Macarthur
11-03-2011, 11:08 AM

I think this is just another example of we see things through a very different prism. YOu tend to discount beat reporters and give more creedence to radio guys. I feel differently, with the exception of Bryan Broaddus.

And let's discuss the articles you linked. First of all, you linked all these articles and not any of them really bring anything new. They are all referencing basically 3 things: the NCAA stuff, the jewelry thing and general discussion on his maturity. Let's take each of these.

The NCAA stuff - He made a mistake and paid the price. Let me also say that I think Deion is a bas*ard and set this kid up for failure on this situation. Dez paid the price, but Deion bears responsibility in this also. Deion should have known better.

The Jewelry thing - we've addressed this. If you don't think this type of thing goes on all the time, you're in denial. These jewelers make stuff for these rich athletes all the time, and payment arrangements are often times ambiguous. He's gotten it straightened out and is paying the stuff off.

The Maturity issues - Again, we have all said and know that Dez is immature, needs to grow up and become a professional. But all indications are that he has gotten better this season about appointments and meetings.

Txbroadcaster
11-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Alright! I stand corrected. Even though about half those articles are about Dez's on field and locker room antics.

uhh u read the articles? all are about the lawsuits and his pants..and one was a fan article..nothing about lockeroom antics or on field

Farmersfan
11-03-2011, 11:15 AM
I really dont think Troy cares enough to have a filter..he has said some pretty hot sports comments in the past on the Cowboys

Beat writers are going to write what they see or they wont have a job for long..If every beat writer for the Cowboys sat on this issue and a national guy in one game was to get a scoop this big they would all be in danger of losing their jobs

Yes players get mad at certain writers, but as long as a writer is not straight out lying about issues he will always have sources inside the lockeroom

Hell Skip Bayless was hated by 95% of the Cowboys during his days, yet he still had a source or two that gav him reliable info

Alright! I really can't argue the point because it would just be by opinion and I don't have any facts or stats to back it up. But I really don't have a doubt that beat writers are often told what they can and cannot write about. Access to the locker room is a carrot that is dangled and don't be fooled into thinking the writers don't know this. Skip Bayless never once showed his face at Valley Ranch again after his "Troy is Gay" comment. Troy and his followers like to act like it was because he was afraid of Troys reaction but everybody else understands he was told he was NEVER going to be allowed access again. He finished his career in Dallas with that comment.

Been a great conversation but I must go do some work. Take care all.

Txbroadcaster
11-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Alright! I really can't argue the point because it would just be by opinion and I don't have any facts or stats to back it up. But I really don't have a doubt that beat writers are often told what they can and cannot write about. Access to the locker room is a carrot that is dangled and don't be fooled into thinking the writers don't know this. Skip Bayless never once showed his face at Valley Ranch again after his "Troy is Gay" comment. Troy and his followers like to act like it was because he was afraid of Troys reaction but everybody else understands he was told he was NEVER going to be allowed access again. He finished his career in Dallas with that comment.

Been a great conversation but I must go do some work. Take care all.

always fun

Lockeroom access cannot be denied by the team..NFL rules, they have to open the locker room to the media, they cant pick and choose...Bayless was not banned, he could not be per NFL rules, if he worked for one of the NFL approved media outlets they have to let them in no matter what the team feels about the writer/media member

DeuceDeuce
11-03-2011, 11:19 AM
Can you be a good person and a bad influence???
Or can you be a bad person and a good influence???

Jimmy Johnson divorced his wife to go coach the Cowboys. Does this mean he has no character?

Micheal Irvin I would not say was a man of High Character, but he led hid teams to wins?

Txbroadcaster
11-03-2011, 11:24 AM
Can you be a good person and a bad influence???
Or can you be a bad person and a good influence???

Jimmy Johnson divorced his wife to go coach the Cowboys. Does this mean he has no character?

Micheal Irvin I would not say was a man of High Character, but he led hid teams to wins?

yea it is funny...TO is considered a character issue..yet never been in trouble with the law..Irvin considered a great team player, but had so many issues.

Basically fans love the ones who win the titles, flaws and all..if you dont win a title in Dallas then your a problem

Macarthur
11-03-2011, 12:15 PM
yea it is funny...TO is considered a character issue..yet never been in trouble with the law..Irvin considered a great team player, but had so many issues.

Basically fans love the ones who win the titles, flaws and all..if you dont win a title in Dallas then your a problem

Great point. In fact, to take it even further, TO was a model citizen in that he did a ton of charity work. And as you said, had no criminal record. Yet, we all agree he was a cancer. Irvin, on the other hand, was pretty much a continual distraction off the field, but is lauded as one of the best leaders the franchise has ever had.

I don't really know what all this means with regards to Dez, but I do know that it's way too early to cast the die for this young man.

Farmersfan
11-03-2011, 02:05 PM

There's a lot of truth to that. And realistically don't you think the people around these players have a lot to do with it? Irvin was a great guy to have on the field but nobody doubted who was in charge. Do you think T.O. would have done Aikman the way he did Romo or McNabb? Or for that matter would Dez get away with his crap if he played with Troy and Emmitt? I think someone would have taken the kid aside and "informed" him of what was appropriate and what wasn't! But that could just be nostalgia talking..........

Txbroadcaster
11-03-2011, 02:12 PM
There's a lot of truth to that. And realistically don't you think the people around these players have a lot to do with it? Irvin was a great guy to have on the field but nobody doubted who was in charge. Do you think T.O. would have done Aikman the way he did Romo or McNabb? Or for that matter would Dez get away with his crap if he played with Troy and Emmitt? I think someone would have taken the kid aside and "informed" him of what was appropriate and what wasn't! But that could just be nostalgia talking..........

yea I do think TO would have done Aikman the same way..it is just who he is. He thinks the team revolves around him..I think that because Irvin basically did the same thing to Aikman and Troy admitted that...Aikman led by taking a step back and letting Irvin vent, scream and whine and then would still throw him the ball.

Farmersfan
11-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Great point. In fact, to take it even further, TO was a model citizen in that he did a ton of charity work. And as you said, had no criminal record. Yet, we all agree he was a cancer. Irvin, on the other hand, was pretty much a continual distraction off the field, but is lauded as one of the best leaders the franchise has ever had.

I don't really know what all this means with regards to Dez, but I do know that it's way too early to cast the die for this young man.

The irony about this entire conversation is that it is taking on a eerie resemblance to all the Romo arguements. Everybody who wants to justify Romo's weaknesses will always bring up a hand full of Hall of Famers from the past with similar situations. Of course this means they must first disregard the 1000's of others who had similar situations who failed miserably. Now all issues about Dez are being dismissed with comments about Irvin, Aikman, Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, Ocho Cinco and other HOF players. It's a redundant point but it needs repeating: Romo isn't Tom Brady and Dez Bryant isn't Micheal Irvin!

Txbroadcaster
11-03-2011, 02:24 PM
The irony about this entire conversation is that it is taking on a eerie resemblance to all the Romo arguements. Everybody who wants to justify Romo's weaknesses will always bring up a hand full of Hall of Famers from the past with similar situations. Of course this means they must first disregard the 1000's of others who had similar situations who failed miserably. Now all issues about Dez are being dismissed with comments about Irvin, Aikman, Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, Ocho Cinco and other HOF players. It's a redundant point but it needs repeating: Romo isn't Tom Brady and Dez Bryant isn't Micheal Irvin!

and this has been my whole point from the beginning..we dont know what Romo..and now Dez will be when it is all said and done....We as a society and media judge players before they are done...for all we know Romo will flame out or he will win 4 SBs..all I have ever said is judge his career after it is over..dont judge him now because it is incomplete

Macarthur
11-03-2011, 02:25 PM
It's a redundant point but it needs repeating: Romo isn't Tom Brady and Dez Bryant isn't Micheal Irvin!

Well, sure, but you're talking about two HOFers.

Farmersfan
11-03-2011, 02:29 PM
yea I do think TO would have done Aikman the same way..it is just who he is. He thinks the team revolves around him..I think that because Irvin basically did the same thing to Aikman and Troy admitted that...Aikman led by taking a step back and letting Irvin vent, scream and whine and then would still throw him the ball.

I think you remember Irvin a little differently than I do. I don't remember Irvin ever being selfish.

Farmersfan
11-03-2011, 02:30 PM
and this has been my whole point from the beginning..we dont know what Romo..and now Dez will be when it is all said and done....We as a society and media judge players before they are done...for all we know Romo will flame out or he will win 4 SBs..all I have ever said is judge his career after it is over..dont judge him now because it is incomplete

And where the heck is the fun in that?

Txbroadcaster
11-03-2011, 02:33 PM
I think you remember Irvin a little differently than I do. I don't remember Irvin ever being selfish.

because Dallas won SBs..look at one of the most famous plays in Cowboy history..the throw to Alvin Harper in SF 1992 Title game..u know why it went to Harper? Because at the last moment Irvin told Harper to flip routes because all year long when that play was called it went to the other WR..Irvin wanted it to go to him so he told Alvin to flip the routes...but Aikman made the right throw that was still to Alvin