PDA

View Full Version : Alvarado's continued story

COBRAFOOTBALL
10-31-2011, 08:44 PM
Here's a little food for thought... CHECK THIS OUT! Can ya brag like this?
This is our 4 games in District:

ALVARADO TOTAL YDS: 1674 PTS: 239

OPPONENTS TOTAL YDS: 98 PTS: 6

AND HEALTHY. KNOCK ON WOOD.. REMINDS ME OF THE OLD SCHOOL DANGERFIELD TEAMS.

GOOD LUCK THIS FRIDAY GLEN ROSE...:1popcorn::vrycnfsd:

turbostud
10-31-2011, 08:47 PM

Didn't Daingerfield only give up 6pts the entire season?

Tin Cup
10-31-2011, 08:54 PM
Alvarado is the best team in region 1. Not all that special of a title this year.

COBRAFOOTBALL
10-31-2011, 08:54 PM

I think so... that was the best I ever heard of... dont think many made it past 50 yd line.. lol... Where did they dissapear to?

Lions88
10-31-2011, 09:14 PM
I think so... that was the best I ever heard of... dont think many made it past 50 yd line.. lol... Where did they dissapear to?

Its easy to hold crappy teams to a shut out.. look I have been on the Alvarado bandwagon.. and I believe they can compete against some of the great teams in east texas, but Alvarado hasnt played a single tough team in a good while.. and when they face a BEAST of the east trust me...it will be a different story.. As mentioned earlier, Brownwood was kicking the crap out of people way worse then Alvarado is this year and look what happen. Take a Chill pill and if Alvarado makes it to the big show then brag. Until then, Alvarado has zero state championships, 1 state semi final appearance, and thats it. Nothing to brag about. All these numbers mean nothing. The real number is a the end of the year... how many state titles you have. Last time I checked Alvarado Has zero in the trophy case..Best of luck in the playoffs

lostaussie
11-01-2011, 07:35 AM
I think so... that was the best I ever heard of... dont think many made it past 50 yd line.. lol... Where did they dissapear to?Where did they disappear to? Thats really funny................3 state Titles in a row. Evidently there is football played outside of Alvarado..........lol

BEAST
11-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Hey Cobra.....

2010 Brownwood Lions Stats
Offense:
801 Points (53.4 per game)
7214 Total Yards (480.9 per game)
4151 Passing (276.7 per game)
3063 Rushing (204.2 per game)
All of that with the starters only playing 2 or 3 full games. Most games they were out by mid 3rd qtr. Had they played we would have crushed the states scoring record.

Defense:
247 Total Points (16.5 per game)
4437 Total yards (295 per game)
1988 Passing yards (132.5 per game)
2449 Rushing yards (163 per game)
73 Tackles for loss
35 Sacks
47 Take aways
Same as above, most of the yardage was gained after the starters were pulled.

Here is the deal, I show you that to try to deflate your head a bit. We did that playing far superior opponents. Remember what we did to Stephenville last year. They were a 4A quarter finalist that barely lost to Aledo or they would have won state. Now, I am not saying yall cant beat Henderson, Carthage, Gilmer, etc. But, they are nothing like anybody yall have played. With that said, we went toe to toe with Carthage and I think we should have won. However, we didnt. I promise you this, you Indians couldnt have held my 2010 Lions.

BEAST

hollywood
11-01-2011, 08:43 AM

Glad to hear Alvarado is doing well this season. Is this the best team Alvarado has ever had? Glad y'all have something to get excited about. The last 2 seasons have been good.

I've been wanting to ask this question. Is your opinion that the recent success is due to a great class of athletes or a new coaching staff or both?

Now I know everyone in A-town is excited, but it's all relative to the comp Alvarado has been playing. I hope the players and coaches realize that more than the fans.

pancho villa
11-01-2011, 08:49 AM
Hey Cobra.....

Offense:
All of that with the starters only playing 2 or 3 full games. Most games they were out by mid 3rd qtr. Had they played we would have crushed the states scoring record.

Defense:
73 Tackles for loss
35 Sacks
47 Take aways

Here is the deal, I show you that to try to deflate your head a bit. We did that playing far superior opponents. Remember what we did to Stephenville last year. They were a 4A quarter finalist that barely lost to Aledo or they would have won state. Now, I am not saying yall cant beat Henderson, Carthage, Gilmer, etc. But, they are nothing like anybody yall have played. With that said, we went toe to toe with Carthage and I think we should have won. However, we didnt. I promise you this, you Indians couldnt have held my 2010 Lions.

BEAST

You are a fool!

NastySlot
11-01-2011, 08:56 AM

i believe they gave six on D....and 8 for the season.

hey if I remember right the 1980 Pittsburg Pirates that won state had a pretty solid defense....maybe some one from ET can give us more about them.

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-01-2011, 09:23 AM
Hey Cobra.....

Offense:

Defense:
73 Tackles for loss
35 Sacks
47 Take aways

BEAST

We are on pace to beat those numbers.. All except for total points and thats because our coach doesnt run the score up. our defense will cut those numbers in half... But nevertheless pretty impressive.. and what did stephenville do to your team this year??? Look at Prosper.. Kennedale? Robinson? all dominated.. This may very well be our year... If not Ill gladly tip my hat to who can knock us down.. It will take one Heck of a performance..

Alvarado numbers for 9 games:

offense

411 total points 45.6 avg
3889 total yds 432 avg
1122 passing 125 avg
2767 rushing 307 avg
*all these numbers by a team and coach who pulls everyone at half.. and trys not to score anymore.. other than field goals.

Defense

66 total pts 7.3 avg
1386 total yds 154 avg

Not too much difference.. other than our D is a bit better... So.. you living through what you did, you have to understand what Alvarado is doing.. Come watch us if ya get a chance.

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Glad to hear Alvarado is doing well this season. Is this the best team Alvarado has ever had? Glad y'all have something to get excited about. The last 2 seasons have been good.

I've been wanting to ask this question. Is your opinion that the recent success is due to a great class of athletes or a new coaching staff or both?

Now I know everyone in A-town is excited, but it's all relative to the comp Alvarado has been playing. I hope the players and coaches realize that more than the fans.

Its a combination.. This team has a HEART. and the coaching staff is brilliant! Our head coach I think was the offensive coordinator in Katy. And you see what they produce.. He has a system here of having our boys prepared every game.. He wont let their heads get big like us parents do. These boys grew up together.. I coached many of them. I know what they are capable of.. I predicted this back when they were 1st and 2ng graders. Call me Nostradamus. lol.

MGAR
11-01-2011, 09:34 AM
i believe they gave six on D....and 8 for the season.

hey if I remember right the 1980 Pittsburg Pirates that won state had a pretty solid defense....maybe some one from ET can give us more about them.

DF had a bad snap over punters head that resulted in a safety against Kilgore then a few weeks later they gave up a TD to Carthage. Outscored opponents 631-8 that year.

In 1980 Pittburg gave up 23 total, 14 to Mt Pleasant, 7 to Jacksonville and 2 in the finals to Van Vleck. Outscored opponents 432-23.

BEAST
11-01-2011, 09:37 AM
We are on pace to beat those numbers.. All except for total points and thats because our coach doesnt run the score up. our defense will cut those numbers in half... But nevertheless pretty impressive.. and what did stephenville do to your team this year??? Look at Prosper.. Kennedale? Robinson? all dominated.. This may very well be our year... If not Ill gladly tip my hat to who can knock us down.. It will take one Heck of a performance..

Alvarado numbers for 9 games:

offense

411 total points 45.6 avg
3889 total yds 432 avg
1122 passing 125 avg
2767 rushing 307 avg
*all these numbers by a team and coach who pulls everyone at half.. and trys not to score anymore.. other than field goals.

Defense

66 total pts 7.3 avg
1386 total yds 154 avg

Not too much difference.. other than our D is a bit better... So.. you living through what you did, you have to understand what Alvarado is doing.. Come watch us if ya get a chance.

Im not hating on you. I hope yall win the whole enchilada. Just hope you guys keep a level head. Steam rolling everybody isnt always good.

BEAST

BEAST
11-01-2011, 09:37 AM
You are a fool!

What did I say in that post that makes me a fool?

BEAST

lostaussie
11-01-2011, 09:40 AM
In 1980 Pittburg gave up 23 total, 14 to Mt Pleasant, 7 to Jacksonville and 2 in the finals to Van Vleck. Outscored opponents 432-23.Yes, only gave up 2 points in class 3A. That was in the championship game when a buddy of mine snapped the ball over punters head for a safety. Every other 3A game they played was a shutout.

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Im not hating on you. I hope yall win the whole enchilada. Just hope you guys keep a level head. Steam rolling everybody isnt always good.

BEAST Steam rolling isnt bad either! wink!

bramsey71
11-01-2011, 10:47 AM
For everybody that thinks alvarado doesn't have speed is completely wrong. Our back 7 on defense all run faster than a 4.7. Our offensive back and receivers all are fast. The east texas speed didn't bother us last year. We are overall alot faster this year.

Lions88
11-01-2011, 11:02 AM
For everybody that thinks alvarado doesn't have speed is completely wrong. Our back 7 on defense all run faster than a 4.7. Our offensive back and receivers all are fast. The east texas speed didn't bother us last year. We are overall alot faster this year.

So I guess you are a player then huh? Interesting.. shouldnt you be studying or looking at film on these playoff teams instead on getting on here and talking football?

MGAR
11-01-2011, 11:36 AM

Your back 7?

So yall play a 2-2-7 defense?

:cheerl:

NastySlot
11-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Your back 7?

So yall play a 2-2-7 defense?

:cheerl:

don't know what they run on defense...was thinking he probably mean't everyone minus the front four?

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Thats what he meant... and no hes a parent just like me.. lol.. we just know these boys better than most..

garciap77
11-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Hey Cobra.....

Offense:

Defense:
73 Tackles for loss
35 Sacks
47 Take aways

BEAST

BEAST, we could have beat your 2010 Lions, but our refs were out of shape!:D

garciap77
11-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Its a combination.. This team has a HEART. and the coaching staff is brilliant! Our head coach I think was the offensive coordinator in Katy. And you see what they produce.. He has a system here of having our boys prepared every game.. He wont let their heads get big like us parents do. These boys grew up together.. I coached many of them. I know what they are capable of.. I predicted this back when they were 1st and 2ng graders. Call me Nostradamus. lol.

Can I just call you ROCKET! Or maybe "Purple ROCKET"!:D

;)

Go luck to your Indians!:)

mwrams
11-01-2011, 12:20 PM
I dont see Mineral Wells beating Alvarado in round 1 but I also dont see them holding the Rams scoreless either. They may be fast but to hold Baylor commit Adrian Colbert away from the end zone will be no small feat for the Indians. The Rams have many weapons and their multiple formations will be a challenge again this year.

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-01-2011, 12:58 PM
I dont see Mineral Wells beating Alvarado in round 1 but I also dont see them holding the Rams scoreless either. They may be fast but to hold Baylor commit Adrian Colbert away from the end zone will be no small feat for the Indians. The Rams have many weapons and their multiple formations will be a challenge again this year.

Do you realize we have 11 of him on this team... 7 on the defensive side alone?? enjoy our RB Wayne Onderdonck. #7 and #25 Jersey.. Last year and this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O60vBGdsKFA

bowleghorses
11-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Do you realize we have 11 of him on this team... 7 on the defensive side alone?? enjoy our RB Wayne Onderdonck. #7 and #25 Jersey.. Last year and this.

What is the deal with the two different numbers? Is it his junior and senior numbers or does he switch so you have trouble finding him?

MGAR
11-01-2011, 01:11 PM

No excuse why yall shouldn't win state now with 11 Baylor commits on the team.

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-01-2011, 01:22 PM
No excuse why yall shouldn't win state now with 11 Baylor commits on the team. Im gunna try to talk em all into going to TCU lol! stay purple! He wore #25 as a sophmore and #7 as a junior and senior.. I think this video is soph and jr yrs.. Nothing from this year on video yet.. Hes a beast.. Over 1719 yds rushing so far in 9 games.. Thats 191 yds a game.

lostaussie
11-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Im gunna try to talk em all into going to TCU lol! stay purple! He wore #25 as a sophmore and #7 as a junior and senior.. I think this video is soph and jr yrs.. Nothing from this year on video yet.. Hes a beast.. Over 1719 yds rushing so far in 9 games.. Thats 191 yds a game.I think you guys should definately try for the 5A title as I don't believe anyone in 3A or 4A can handle yall. As for 2A................I'm pretty sure Refugio would smack you around a little:D

Bullaholic
11-01-2011, 01:31 PM
I think you guys should definately try for the 5A title as I don't believe anyone in 3A or 4A can handle yall. As for 2A................I'm pretty sure Refugio would smack you around a little:D

Any chance they could end up meeting them "Glimer" boys, aussie?

nobogey72
11-01-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm pretty sure COBRAFOOTBALL has a twin brother who was a poster from Decatur in 04. Sounds scarily similar. I'll bet Alvarado's Jr. High coaches love having Friday nights off. No reason to go scout when you've got 11 D1 players on defense. Careful not to break your arm patting yourself on the back.

OldNavy
11-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Any chance they could end up meeting them "Glimer" boys, aussie?

Zero chance. Either Henderson or Carthage goes D1 from the District of Doom.

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-01-2011, 01:42 PM
I think you guys should definately try for the 5A title as I don't believe anyone in 3A or 4A can handle yall. As for 2A................I'm pretty sure Refugio would smack you around a little:D

Just looked at Refugios numbers.. 599 pts?? 66.5 pts a game??? wow.

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-01-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm pretty sure COBRAFOOTBALL has a twin brother who was a poster from Decatur in 04. Sounds scarily similar. I'll bet Alvarado's Jr. High coaches love having Friday nights off. No reason to go scout when you've got 11 D1 players on defense. Careful not to break your arm patting yourself on the back.

Nope Im just lil ol me.. I was only commenting on the post concerning Adrian Colbert. From Mineral Wells.. From what i could find hes got about 500 yds rushing this year. Wondering how he is even invited to Baylor. Maybe Im missing something? and if I did break my arm Ive got 1000 other people ready to pat it for me! lol...

Bullaholic
11-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Nope Im just lil ol me.. I was only commenting on the post concerning Adrian Colbert. From Mineral Wells.. From what i could find hes got about 500 yds rushing this year. Wondering how he is even invited to Baylor. Maybe Im missing something? and if I did break my arm Ive got 1000 other people ready to pat it for me! lol...

Better throw UT in the mix, too, Cobra....

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/colleges/texas/post?id=302&_slug_=texas-interested-in-safety-adrian-colbert&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fblo g%2fcolleges%2ftexas%2fpost%3fid%3d302%26_slug_%3d texas-interested-in-safety-adrian-colbert

BEAST
11-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Cobra are you seriously saying yall have 11 D1 commits on this team?

BEAST

ccmom
11-01-2011, 02:37 PM

I'm pretty sure the Mineral Wells poster admitted that he does not expect MW to win beat Alvarado. He simply said he didn't think it would be a shut out and pointed out that they have a D1 recruit on the roster that would be difficult to shut down. You respond to that by claiming to have 11 D1 recruits on your defense and questioning why the MW player was recruited by Baylor.

Wow...just wow...good for you. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

ahs_indian_fan
11-01-2011, 02:50 PM

He is being recruited as a safety, not a running back ... and no, Alvarado does not have his kind of speed. I don't remember if it was the 200 or 400 but he won the state title in one or the other last year so he does have a different level that most other kids don't. Now, whether or not the offensive line opens up a hole long enough for him to get through it is a different story, but if he breaks one it won't be the end of the world. The reason he has only 500 yards is MW has three or four different backs they use - just like Alvarado did last year with Ripley and Onderdonck.

I'm all for Alvarado but no reason in questioning why a kid is getting recruited ... There are a couple schools sniffing around one of Alvarado's linebackers, but I think the fact that Alvarado doesn't have any kids being heavily recruited by big Div. I schools actually says more about Alvarado than anything else ... they just get the job done with the cards they are dealt

Bullaholic
11-01-2011, 03:11 PM
He is being recruited as a safety, not a running back ... and no, Alvarado does not have his kind of speed. I don't remember if it was the 200 or 400 but he won the state title in one or the other last year so he does have a different level that most other kids don't. Now, whether or not the offensive line opens up a hole long enough for him to get through it is a different story, but if he breaks one it won't be the end of the world. The reason he has only 500 yards is MW has three or four different backs they use - just like Alvarado did last year with Ripley and Onderdonck.

I'm all for Alvarado but no reason in questioning why a kid is getting recruited ... There are a couple schools sniffing around one of Alvarado's linebackers, but I think the fact that Alvarado doesn't have any kids being heavily recruited by big Div. I schools actually says more about Alvarado than anything else ... they just get the job done with the cards they are dealt

If Tyler Bates was 25lbs and 5" taller, all of the big colleges would be all over him, also. Really good player on offense and defense.

ccmom
11-01-2011, 03:22 PM

I'm all for Alvarado but no reason in questioning why a kid is getting recruited ... There are a couple schools sniffing around one of Alvarado's linebackers, but I think the fact that Alvarado doesn't have any kids being heavily recruited by big Div. I schools actually says more about Alvarado than anything else ... they just get the job done with the cards they are dealt:thumbsup:

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Cobra are you seriously saying yall have 11 D1 commits on this team?

BEAST

NO... not at all... just 11 players that calibur... Heck no one knows we are alive when it comes to recruiting.. Pity too theres some amazing talent here.. They should be beating down our boys doors..

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-01-2011, 03:30 PM
I'm pretty sure the Mineral Wells poster admitted that he does not expect MW to win beat Alvarado. He simply said he didn't think it would be a shut out and pointed out that they have a D1 recruit on the roster that would be difficult to shut down. You respond to that by claiming to have 11 D1 recruits on your defense and questioning why the MW player was recruited by Baylor.

Wow...just wow...good for you. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

ccmom you need to go read what I said.. not what people responded to.. I said we had players of "his" calibur.. never said we had 11 on defense.. said we had 7 on defense that are that good... If you dont believe me come watch us play.. youll see..

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Its seems it always comes down to how fast you are or how strong you are.. I know boys who posess all the speed and strength that cant hold a candle to one with HEART....

cowboyandchrist
11-01-2011, 03:58 PM
NO... not at all... just 11 players that calibur... Heck no one knows we are alive when it comes to recruiting.. Pity too theres some amazing talent here.. They should be beating down our boys doors..
It is possible to have a bunch of D1 players on a team, We at (Tatum) 2005 3a state champs had 9 d1 players.

cowboyandchrist
11-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Its seems it always comes down to how fast you are or how strong you are.. I know boys who posess all the speed and strength that cant hold a candle to one with HEART....
If you play the speed from East Texas, I think you will change your mind.

ccmom
11-01-2011, 04:06 PM
ccmom you need to go read what I said.. not what people responded to.. I said we had players of "his" calibur.. never said we had 11 on defense.. said we had 7 on defense that are that good... If you dont believe me come watch us play.. youll see.. I did misquote you. "11 more of him" is what you said. Forgive me:rolleyes:

Obviously, my point went right over your purple head-dress. :rolleyes:

mwrams
11-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Adrian won the class 3A state title in the 400 last year. He is very fast. He plays mainly DB/safety. He will hit hard. He also returns punts and kickoffs. You will occasionally see him in the backfield along with Casterena, Poole and Rose. Texas and TCU have also been showing interest. The problem with the Rams is the rest of the defense. The Rams were behind only 1 at the half 29-28 to Decatur until the wheels came off in the 2nd half.

toddg
11-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Adrian won the class 3A state title in the 400 last year. He is very fast. He plays mainly DB/safety. He will hit hard. He also returns punts and kickoffs. You will occasionally see him in the backfield along with Casterena, Poole and Rose. Texas and TCU have also been showing interest. The problem with the Rams is the rest of the defense. The Rams were behind only 1 at the half 29-28 to Decatur until the wheels came off in the 2nd half.

i wish he would go to Texas Tech!!

Chillfan
11-01-2011, 04:53 PM
It is possible to have a bunch of D1 players on a team, We at (Tatum) 2005 3a state champs had 9 d1 players.

Man yall were stacked in 05. We have 4 that have already committed to D1 schools. I know of four more that will prob go D1 as well. Morehead, Kincade, Henderson, and Dean.

5wide
11-01-2011, 07:42 PM
alvarado was not as good as 04' decatur team. I've seen both teams play..trust me. You don't have the offense that decatur did(not even close) and your defense was at par with them. Decatur blewout an Ab. Wylie club at home then fell in the playoffs. Don't get ahead of your self please..you will eat your own words.

83Indian
11-01-2011, 07:59 PM
alvarado was not as good as 04' decatur team. I've seen both teams play..trust me. You don't have the offense that decatur did(not even close) and your defense was at par with them. Decatur blewout an Ab. Wylie club at home then fell in the playoffs. Don't get ahead of your self please..you will eat your own words.

Alvarado's strength is not blowing out teams but a balanced attack. As TxBroadcaster and others have stated, we will pound it out on the ground and then light you up over the top and underneath. We may be up only 14 or 20 points in the playoffs, but will grind you in the ground. We are used to hearing crickets from the other bleachers!

83Indian
11-01-2011, 08:05 PM
If you play the speed from East Texas, I think you will change your mind.

Believe me were well aware of East Texas speed. Were pretty fast as well. Alvarado has been bumped from the playoffs more than a few times from east texas speed. It did'nt beat us last year. Won't beat us this year. Trust me, were ready for the challenge. Should have been in the dance last year. Ready for the challenge.

Manso/V8
11-01-2011, 09:11 PM
Thats what he meant... and no hes a parent just like me.. lol.. we just know these boys better than most..

You are parent of one of the Alvarado players........are you a father or a mother of an Alvarado player?

IndianFan2012
11-01-2011, 09:15 PM
You are parent of one of the Alvarado players........are you a father or a mother of an Alvarado player?

He's a father.

Manso/V8
11-01-2011, 09:37 PM
If Tyler Bates was 25lbs and 5" taller, all of the big colleges would be all over him, also. Really good player on offense and defense.

Sure, if you add 25 lbs, and 5" to a "really good player", they are probably not going to be as quick, fast, or coordinated.
When you get to DI, everyone is big, strong, and really athletic.

83Indian
11-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Sure, if you add 25 lbs, and 5" to a "really good player", they are probably not going to be as quick, fast, or coordinated.
When you get to DI, everyone is big, strong, and really athletic.

The program lists him 5'7 and 150 pounds. I bet he's more like 5'6 130 pounds. For his size, I have never seen any player impact games like he does. His touches to TD ratio is outrageous. His vertical jump is phenomenal as well. With all the other weapons Alvarado has, he is the X factor that make us very unpredictable.

defense51
11-02-2011, 07:01 AM
The Indians are very well coached on both sides of the ball, Coach Dixon has improved this program each year since he arrived, he will keep the team focused. But, he can't do much for the fans! We have alot of good athletes who play extremely well as a team unit. Hope to see them playing on Dec. 9th, but getting there is half the fun. There's nothing like playoff football in Texas!!!

GrTigers6
11-02-2011, 09:59 AM
The Indians are very well coached on both sides of the ball, Coach Dixon has improved this program each year since he arrived, he will keep the team focused. But, he can't do much for the fans! We have alot of good athletes who play extremely well as a team unit. Hope to see them playing on Dec. 9th, but getting there is half the fun. There's nothing like playoff football in Texas!!!:iagree:

OldBison75
11-02-2011, 11:00 AM
Playoff football is a very fickle game. So many little things become big things and the tiniest shift in momentum can really change the whole complexion of a game. Coaches make decisions in the playoffs that they might not make during the year because they know that a big play on a fourth down and three can change momentum, or, on the other hand they can tend to become too conservative and try to avoid the interceptions or fumbles that can change momentum. In the early rounds, teams can get away with these type changes in what got you there because you MIGHT be a "better team" and can overcome those decisions. However, when you get beyond the second week, it is very common for there to be very little difference in the ability of either team and a bad decision, turnover, bad call by the refs, and even a single bad pass or big open field tackle can change the momentum of a game. The teams that win never seem to look like they are too confident or too upset by anything that happens.
A few years ago the game between Gilmer and Navasota in Lufkin is a prime example. Gilmer was the top ranked team and Navasota came into the game on a roll. The game was back and forth all day and late in the fourth quarter, it looked like the Rattlers had a real chance to win the game. Calls had gone back and forth and momentum seemed to shift every series. Then, Gilmer stepped on offense with only a few minutes to play and needed a score to win. You could see that the Gilmer team knew that they would make that score. There was no panic, no rush, and no indication that they expected anything but success. And, like the champions they were, they scored and won the game.
My point is this, playoff games are not won based on what you did all year as much as what you are able to do in a particular game situation. There can be no weak links in the team from the coaches to the third stringers on the bench. Evey player has to have complete confidence in the coaches and each other to know that if there is a way they will win the game. At the playoff stage, every team has a chance, but generally the teams that win are the teams that have faced adversity and whipped it's butt. They have the confidence that they can win no matter what. And, that is what make the "district of doom" so dangerous in the playoffs, because they have faced the challenge every week throughout district and are ready for a battle each week. Most districts have one or two really good teams and the rest are average. In that East Texas district, there is a real chance that any of three or four teams can be district champions in any other district in the state.
In conclusion, my advice to Alvarado is to play your game, do what you do best, keep your heads from swelling on what you have done, and keep working to get better. I give this advice to say that no team is unbeatable and it is very hard to swallow when you have to eat the hype you have thrown on the table all year, especially after it has rotted on this board. And, believe me, if you are wrong and have to eat that crow, you will be reminded of every word you said and it will be fed to you over and over again.

Bullaholic
11-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Doesn't matter which part of the state your team is from, playoff football success boils down to a few essentials:

1. Luck of the draw. Meeting the right right teams at the right time in the brackets by not meeting a potential SC team too early.

2. Injuries. The best teams can't win without their best players on the field.

3. Matchups. If what your team does well is the other team's weakness, then your team will usually win. The opposite is also true.

4. Intangibles-game prep, turnovers, penalties, mental errors, and desire.

Matthew328
11-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Talent help also..

Alvarado is setting themselves up for a potentially epic fail....Abilene Wylie does have this nasty habit of beating more highly rated and talented teams in the playoffs...ask Aledo, Everman, Cuero and Decatur.....I remember when Everman won state in 2002 they just flat out demolished Wylie...the next year they played them again in Rd 2 and Wylie led by then soph Case Keenum pulled off the upset...

partimefan
11-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Talent help also..

Alvarado is setting themselves up for a potentially epic fail....Abilene Wylie does have this nasty habit of beating more highly rated and talented teams in the playoffs...ask Aledo, Everman, Cuero and Decatur.....I remember when Everman won state in 2002 they just flat out demolished Wylie...the next year they played them again in Rd 2 and Wylie led by then soph Case Keenum pulled off the upset...

The Alvarado fans who frequent this board may not represent Alvarado as a whole?

Bullaholic
11-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Talent help also..

Ask the Decatur folks about Wylie in 04'....

cowboyandchrist
11-02-2011, 09:33 PM
Playoff football is a very fickle game. So many little things become big things and the tiniest shift in momentum can really change the whole complexion of a game. Coaches make decisions in the playoffs that they might not make during the year because they know that a big play on a fourth down and three can change momentum, or, on the other hand they can tend to become too conservative and try to avoid the interceptions or fumbles that can change momentum. In the early rounds, teams can get away with these type changes in what got you there because you MIGHT be a "better team" and can overcome those decisions. However, when you get beyond the second week, it is very common for there to be very little difference in the ability of either team and a bad decision, turnover, bad call by the refs, and even a single bad pass or big open field tackle can change the momentum of a game. The teams that win never seem to look like they are too confident or too upset by anything that happens.
A few years ago the game between Gilmer and Navasota in Lufkin is a prime example. Gilmer was the top ranked team and Navasota came into the game on a roll. The game was back and forth all day and late in the fourth quarter, it looked like the Rattlers had a real chance to win the game. Calls had gone back and forth and momentum seemed to shift every series. Then, Gilmer stepped on offense with only a few minutes to play and needed a score to win. You could see that the Gilmer team knew that they would make that score. There was no panic, no rush, and no indication that they expected anything but success. And, like the champions they were, they scored and won the game.
My point is this, playoff games are not won based on what you did all year as much as what you are able to do in a particular game situation. There can be no weak links in the team from the coaches to the third stringers on the bench. Evey player has to have complete confidence in the coaches and each other to know that if there is a way they will win the game. At the playoff stage, every team has a chance, but generally the teams that win are the teams that have faced adversity and whipped it's butt. They have the confidence that they can win no matter what. And, that is what make the "district of doom" so dangerous in the playoffs, because they have faced the challenge every week throughout district and are ready for a battle each week. Most districts have one or two really good teams and the rest are average. In that East Texas district, there is a real chance that any of three or four teams can be district champions in any other district in the state.
In conclusion, my advice to Alvarado is to play your game, do what you do best, keep your heads from swelling on what you have done, and keep working to get better. I give this advice to say that no team is unbeatable and it is very hard to swallow when you have to eat the hype you have thrown on the table all year, especially after it has rotted on this board. And, believe me, if you are wrong and have to eat that crow, you will be reminded of every word you said and it will be fed to you over and over again.
This has to be the best post I have ever read on this board. Every word is true. Last year Brownwood was an unbelievable team, what hurt them more than anything was not being challenged alll year. I can't say Carthage was the better team, but they were challenged many times before the playoffs. Alvarado has to be an outstanding team to do what they have done, but there will be teams in the playoffs from around the state that will hit them as hard as they have been hitting the teams they have played to date. We here in East Texas are use to being challenged almost every Friday night. I believe there are teams from all over Texas that are very good, but they are not tested until the second or third round of the playoffs. Great post and God Bless

OldNavy
11-03-2011, 07:03 AM
:iagree:
Alvarado was tested last year and they won close games against good teams and people didn't expect them to. Didn't they bring most of those young men back this year? Last year was a good year to build on and this team has seemed to be solid and play with conviction. I think they are just taking care of business.

Chillfan
11-03-2011, 07:52 AM
2. Injuries. The best teams can't win without their best players on the field.

I agree to a point. CH has delt with a ton of injuries and it has seemed to pull the team even closer. They got past Carthage and Lindale without alot of players including a QB, DT, 2 RB's, and a LB.

Ranger Mom
11-03-2011, 08:31 AM
Wow!! I AM out of the loop....I didn't realize we had so many Alvarado posters!!!!

lostaussie
11-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Wow!! I AM out of the loop....I didn't realize we had so many Alvarado posters!!!!We didn't until they won like...........3 in a row:D They are excited and rightfully so. They got a pretty good team over there I think. But what some of them don't understand is...........so did Brownwood. One game at a time and remember..............ENJOY THE RIDE!!. No matter how far it takes you.

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-03-2011, 01:19 PM
We didn't until they won like...........3 in a row:D They are excited and rightfully so. They got a pretty good team over there I think. But what some of them don't understand is...........so did Brownwood. One game at a time and remember..............ENJOY THE RIDE!!. No matter how far it takes you.

LIFE is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

words to live by......

toddg
11-03-2011, 01:40 PM
We didn't until they won like...........3 in a row:D They are excited and rightfully so. They got a pretty good team over there I think. But what some of them don't understand is...........so did Brownwood. One game at a time and remember..............ENJOY THE RIDE!!. No matter how far it takes you.

yeah..the parents and fans around here have been pretty excited about this group of kids for awhile, from this years sr. group on down the line..we got beat up pretty good during the 6 yrs we were 4a(though we did make the playoffs one year)since starting back in 3a in 2008 the expectations have been growing every year and the program in place is strong.

toddg
11-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Our marching band is pretty darn awsome too!

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-03-2011, 01:46 PM
:iagree:

Bullaholic
11-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Our marching band is pretty darn awsome too!

East Texas bands march faster....:D

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Now thats funny!

Pendragon13
11-03-2011, 01:56 PM
Our marching band is pretty darn awsome too!I will admit that Alvarado is the only 3A team we have faced with a larger band than Wylie....not sure if they're better though. ;)

toddg
11-03-2011, 01:56 PM

yeah..but you cant hear 'em!:)

IndianFan2012
11-03-2011, 02:13 PM
I will admit that Alvarado is the only 3A team we have faced with a larger band than Wylie....not sure if they're better though. ;)

Our band is pretty darn good. We placed 2nd at Mabank behind a band that played through the dust/rain storm, and 5th at Paluxy Valley where we played against bands that make the state marching contest every year. Those bands include Springtown, they are consistantly in the 4a state marching contest, Kennedale, they placed 10th at the state marching contest, Stephenville, a high ranking 4a band, Joshua, an above average 4a band. We took two extra captions with us that night... Best Drumline and best colorguard.

At Mabank we took all captions for class 3a including best brass, best colorguard, best woodwinds, best drumline and best drum majors.

Not trying to brag but I'm tired of Alvarado being thought mediocre.

Ranger Mom
11-03-2011, 03:16 PM
yeah..the parents and fans around here have been pretty excited about this group of kids for awhile, from this years sr. group on down the line..we got beat up pretty good during the 6 yrs we were 4a(though we did make the playoffs one year)since starting back in 3a in 2008 the expectations have been growing every year and the program in place is strong.

I remember those days....being excited about a group of kids when they were playing peewee football!! That certain group went all the way to the big dance in 2002 with a perfect 15-0 record only to fall to Bandera in the State game in double overtime by a field goal. The memory still hurts my heart to this day!!!

But.....back then, you couldn't mention the "band" on this board...it could get ugly!!!

Any oldtimers remember those days??? :eek:

toddg
11-03-2011, 03:44 PM
i remember those days....being excited about a group of kids when they were playing peewee football!! That certain group went all the way to the big dance in 2002 with a perfect 15-0 record only to fall to bandera in the state game in double overtime by a field goal. The memory still hurts my heart to this day!!!

but.....back then, you couldn't mention the "band" on this board...it could get ugly!!!

any oldtimers remember those days??? :eek:

lol!!!

defense51
11-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Yep...

toddg
11-03-2011, 11:41 PM
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/sports/hs_sports/110311-football-helps-teen-cope-with-loss

GrTigers6
11-04-2011, 04:52 AM
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/sports/hs_sports/110311-football-helps-teen-cope-with-lossGreat Story!

ahs_indian_fan
11-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Great Story!

agreed +1

Pendragon13
11-04-2011, 09:31 AM
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/sports/hs_sports/110311-football-helps-teen-cope-with-lossWow...I can't even imagine going through something like that as a teenager.