PDA

View Full Version : Gonzales Apaches vs. Cuero Gobblers

fire_it_up
10-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Old rivalry here...emotions high.

YTBulldogs
10-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Cuero would like nothing better than end GZ perfect season. Is Cuero's #20 in or out this week?

underthetepee
10-30-2011, 02:07 PM
Cuero better play a whole lot better than they they did yesterday if they think they even have a chance at the Apaches. They were awful yesterday!!!
Cuero would like nothing better than end GZ perfect season. Is Cuero's #20 in or out this week?

Gobbler Fan
10-30-2011, 02:33 PM
It's been hard to watch this season as Cuero has looked like a mass of confusion on both Offense and Defense but even more so on Offense.... I hope they (School Board) got what they wanted out of the Coaches/AD they kept or brought in :/ I think the kids did all they could do on this system which resembles a jr. High Offense . jmo :twitch: ... Ill be over in my timeout box :crying:

underthetepee
10-30-2011, 02:48 PM
It was a rough go yesterday. The QB sneak debacle was classic! I have NEVER seen Cuero give up over 500 yards of offense to ANYONE!
It's been hard to watch this season as Cuero has looked like a mass of confusion on both Offense and Defense but even more so on Offense.... I hope they (School Board) got what they wanted out of the Coaches/AD they kept or brought in :/ I think the kids did all they could do on this system which resembles a jr. High Offense . jmo :twitch: ... Ill be over in my timeout box :crying:

CueroDad08
10-30-2011, 06:09 PM
I think the kids did all they could do on this system which resembles a jr. High Offense

100% AGREE

Snotbubbles
10-30-2011, 06:21 PM
I think the kids did all they could do on this system which resembles a jr. High Offense

100% AGREE

Sounds like a new coach/system is in the making in Turkeyville. Too much turmoil, Apaches go 10-0 and blast the Gobs, 50-0.

Apache91
10-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Snot. I hope that you are right, but I don't think that Lock would run the score up on them even though they deserve it.

Blue42
10-30-2011, 08:07 PM
I would not be one bit surprised if the Gobblers win pride goes a long way.

Lombardi
10-30-2011, 08:17 PM
don't take this wrong blue, but their wasn't much pride exhibited in the Sam game by the gobblers.They sort of threw in the towel early vs the Hurricanes.

fire_it_up
10-30-2011, 08:19 PM

Since you're from Cuero, you have no idea how old it gets year after year of being beat down by the Gobblers. I don't think the Apaches are going to let this opportunity slip by them. If they're going to be fired up for any game, it's gonna be this one! I think it's been nine years in the making.

Snotbubbles
10-30-2011, 08:19 PM
Snot. I hope that you are right, but I don't think that Lock would run the score up on them even though they deserve it.

91, I've been wrong in picking some big games this year. Ate plenty of crow too. But, Cuero isn't the Cuero we've all known in years past. Putting a "Refugio type" score on them could happen without all the starters playing the whole game. Sad times over there for sure. Yes, GZ can right alot of wrongs that Cuero has delivered to the Apaches over the years. I must tip my hat to the best team in district, the Gonzales Apaches.

Blue42
10-30-2011, 08:23 PM
don't take this wrong blue, but their wasn't much pride exhibited in the Sam game by the gobblers.They sort of threw in the towel early vs the Hurricanes.
Home field, last game, Vrs Gonzo,I don't think you would need a coach for this game.

Snotbubbles
10-30-2011, 08:24 PM
And, Cuero is just going through a season most teams have. A down year. They don't have many down years do they. Not loaded with talent and losing a all-state RB, no real QB will take it's toll. Cuero will be back sooner than later I assure you.

fire_it_up
10-30-2011, 08:30 PM
Home field, last game, Vrs Gonzo,I don't think you would need a coach for this game.

No, coaches are needed and by the sound of it, ours will be a great advantage in this game if that's where y'all are lacking. Every small town across America wants to blame the coach when things go wrong. Apaches will be on fire, I assure you. They will be playing for themselves, last years team, their Daddy's team, their uncles team, and even their grandpa's team. Young and old Apaches will be lined up on the fence just waiting to see this! One thing we can agree on, pride will go a long way!

LV_Bearfan
10-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Cuero better play a whole lot better than they they did yesterday if they think they even have a chance at the Apaches. They were awful yesterday!!!
I expect they will.

44INAROW
10-31-2011, 08:26 AM

Just asking - WHY do they deserve it?

apache78
10-31-2011, 10:06 AM
44, I don't know if you remember, but we do. Micky Finley had us down 40 some odd to 7 with 25 seconds in the game and the ball on the Apache 20. He threw 3 fade routes to the 6'6" wide out over our 5'6" corner and completed it on the third try with 0 time left to make the score 50 some odd to 7. People don't forget, but newer coaches never knew. Of course, this was Micky Finley, and not my uncle Buster, who had a lot more class.

underware
10-31-2011, 10:22 AM
And, Cuero is just going through a season most teams have. A down year. They don't have many down years do they. Not loaded with talent and losing a all-state RB, no real QB will take it's toll. Cuero will be back sooner than later I assure you.

I agree. It won't take Cuero long to regroup.

44INAROW
10-31-2011, 11:26 AM
44, I don't know if you remember, but we do. Micky Finley had us down 40 some odd to 7 with 25 seconds in the game and the ball on the Apache 20. He threw 3 fade routes to the 6'6" wide out over our 5'6" corner and completed it on the third try with 0 time left to make the score 50 some odd to 7. People don't forget, but newer coaches never knew. Of course, this was Micky Finley, and not my uncle Buster, who had a lot more class.

let's agree to disagree - that was a generation of players ago........ I was there for all of Buster's games - (that's where my 44 in a row comes from, I graduated with Debbie) He coached with class - 100% no doubt!! Like I said earlier on another thread - I hope Gonzo goes deep in the playoffs and represents District 28AAA well...... I know you'll are happy to have a winning tradition back..:) Losing sucks.. :(

Apache91
10-31-2011, 12:39 PM
44-Apache 78 said it well. Ya'll have been very blessed with athletes throughout the years. It is good to be winning again. It comes and goes. I know that Cuero will be back and it will be soon.

StangEm
10-31-2011, 12:52 PM
Sorry Gobbler fans.......I just don't think y'all got it this year. Have a great offseason.

BigGreen61
10-31-2011, 05:05 PM
Iam going with the gobblers in this one. LV should of one that ball game 9-7 but they put 2 sec back on the clock just before HT. GZ is well coach but their beatable

YTBulldogs
10-31-2011, 06:48 PM
Iam going with the gobblers in this one. LV should of one that ball game 9-7 but they put 2 sec back on the clock just before HT. GZ is well coach but their beatable

Clem, what's #20's status? Heard he didn't play the SH game? Hurt? Will he play? Makes a big difference at RB/S IMO. Good looking freshman.

gobbler grad
10-31-2011, 07:36 PM
Clem, what's #20's status? Heard he didn't play the SH game? Hurt? Will he play? Makes a big difference at RB/S IMO. Good looking freshman.

heard he's out due to GRADES...:crying: ...anybody know something different.

YTBulldogs
10-31-2011, 07:42 PM
heard he's out due to GRADES...:crying: ...anybody know something different.

Yikes!!! Heard #7 is done too. Correct? Poor Busto has to endure that Apache "D".

Apache91
10-31-2011, 08:13 PM
Biggreen. Possibly so. But if you knew football, you would know that when you get a first down the clock stops, to set the chains back up. LaVernia ran off the field and had to take a timeout cause we were on the ball ready to hike it when the refs would a have set the ball. LaVernia played a very good game and they are well coached.

bigcat8
10-31-2011, 08:58 PM
He also would know that Gonzo had a TD Nullifield and fumbled on 1st down at the LV 9 yard line. Gonzo had 19 first downs and controlled the clock for 31 minutes of the game.

Biggreen. Possibly so. But if you knew football, you would know that when you get a first down the clock stops, to set the chains back up. LaVernia ran off the field and had to take a timeout cause we were on the ball ready to hike it when the refs would a have set the ball. LaVernia played a very good game and they are well coached.

headhunter
10-31-2011, 11:37 PM

I told myself all year I would not get on these boards unless it was a darn good reason. Your statement of Cuero running up the score is absurd. As I recall, the Apaches scored late in the game on either a reverse or some type of out of the ordinary play. Cuero had pretty much put the second and thrid string in and it was 42-0. Then Gonzales appeared to think they could come back and win, so the old coach called a few timeouts and with the trick play they scored. Finley went ahead and answered with about 1:30 left. Hey I could be wrong because there have been so many beat downs over the past years I cannot quite remember exactly how it went down. Heck I would never make a comment saying, "the Gobblers have had it coming." The old saying is, if you don't like them putting up points, then don't let them in the endzone!

I would expect Gonzales to to score this Friday and score at will. If you (Gonzales) cannot hang 50+ points I will be very dissapointed in your explosiveness on offense. It should never be about how much you put on the scoreboard, but rather how you choose to get the points on their. Run your offense and play the game, both teams had all week to prepare to stop each other.

I mean come on Gonzales look at what opportunity you have: Cuero has been runnig through the district and region for 9 year and in that time, y'all have put together one quality year when y'all went to the third round of the playoff's. Here is your chance to show that the Apaches are the top dog in the District, Region and STATE! (please do not make this your super bowl game) Cuero will suit up maybe 27 players (worst I have ever seen), they have a offensive coordinator who makes his QB run to the sideline EVERYTIME to get the play (why wear armbands), we have the lowest scoring in the district except for Poteet, but the one bright spot is our state leading punting!!!

There was a little talk on here about needing a coaching change. I cannot believe the Gobbler faithful could not see this when the hire was made. I mean when exactly did hiring from within ever work in Cuero???? Why not open the job up to the state of Texas and to be fair to the kids, give them a shot to play for the MOST QUALIFIED, AVAILABLE COACH IN THE STATE WHO CHOOSES TO APPLY.

Pat Blessing was hired to replace Pullin and thank heavans he had he most talented team in the nation for Class 3a; which he (Blessing) drove the bus and the players won a championship wih Pullins program, then he ran the program into the ground from 1988 & 1989. Finley came in and rejuvenated the program with dicipline and motivation. Once again the school board hires from within and we see 4 years of going the wrong direction, numbers start to dwindle on players who come out and it takes a horrible four years to learn we need to go out and get someone who would reinstate dicipline and motivate the kids to buy back into Gobbler football. What we get is Mark Reeve who did a remarkable job in the win/Loss column. HOWEVER what do we do once he leaves? We hire a head coach with no head coaching experinece and expect him to pick up where we left off while hiring/promotng a offensive coordinator who was winless in a season at Edna. I mean, come on Gobbler fans, realistic what did you expect? Now what and where do we go from here? Kids are still walking the halls of Cuero High, why cannot we not get them into uniforms? Talent has always been in Cuero, some years more than others; but 3-7 record would be highly unacceptable. I could have lived with 6-4 or even a possible 5-5. BUT 3-7 ---- UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Blue42
11-01-2011, 12:06 AM
Well put Headhunter you are right on the money .

bigcat8
11-01-2011, 01:23 AM
Headhunter, I have known the current Gonzales coach for many years. He is only interested in the game his team is playing that week.. Furthermore, he is not interested in running up scores---He just wants to WIN!
I told myself all year I would not get on these boards unless it was a darn good reason. Your statement of Cuero running up the score is absurd. As I recall, the Apaches scored late in the game on either a reverse or some type of out of the ordinary play. Cuero had pretty much put the second and thrid string in and it was 42-0. Then Gonzales appeared to think they could come back and win, so the old coach called a few timeouts and with the trick play they scored. Finley went ahead and answered with about 1:30 left. Hey I could be wrong because there have been so many beat downs over the past years I cannot quite remember exactly how it went down. Heck I would never make a comment saying, "the Gobblers have had it coming." The old saying is, if you don't like them putting up points, then don't let them in the endzone!

I would expect Gonzales to to score this Friday and score at will. If you (Gonzales) cannot hang 50+ points I will be very dissapointed in your explosiveness on offense. It should never be about how much you put on the scoreboard, but rather how you choose to get the points on their. Run your offense and play the game, both teams had all week to prepare to stop each other.

I mean come on Gonzales look at what opportunity you have: Cuero has been runnig through the district and region for 9 year and in that time, y'all have put together one quality year when y'all went to the third round of the playoff's. Here is your chance to show that the Apaches are the top dog in the District, Region and STATE! (please do not make this your super bowl game) Cuero will suit up maybe 27 players (worst I have ever seen), they have a offensive coordinator who makes his QB run to the sideline EVERYTIME to get the play (why wear armbands), we have the lowest scoring in the district except for Poteet, but the one bright spot is our state leading punting!!!

There was a little talk on here about needing a coaching change. I cannot believe the Gobbler faithful could not see this when the hire was made. I mean when exactly did hiring from within ever work in Cuero???? Why not open the job up to the state of Texas and to be fair to the kids, give them a shot to play for the MOST QUALIFIED, AVAILABLE COACH IN THE STATE WHO CHOOSES TO APPLY.

Pat Blessing was hired to replace Pullin and thank heavans he had he most talented team in the nation for Class 3a; which he (Blessing) drove the bus and the players won a championship wih Pullins program, then he ran the program into the ground from 1988 & 1989. Finley came in and rejuvenated the program with dicipline and motivation. Once again the school board hires from within and we see 4 years of going the wrong direction, numbers start to dwindle on players who come out and it takes a horrible four years to learn we need to go out and get someone who would reinstate dicipline and motivate the kids to buy back into Gobbler football. What we get is Mark Reeve who did a remarkable job in the win/Loss column. HOWEVER what do we do once he leaves? We hire a head coach with no head coaching experinece and expect him to pick up where we left off while hiring/promotng a offensive coordinator who was winless in a season at Edna. I mean, come on Gobbler fans, realistic what did you expect? Now what and where do we go from here? Kids are still walking the halls of Cuero High, why cannot we not get them into uniforms? Talent has always been in Cuero, some years more than others; but 3-7 record would be highly unacceptable. I could have lived with 6-4 or even a possible 5-5. BUT 3-7 ---- UNACCEPTABLE!!!

44INAROW
11-01-2011, 08:24 AM
Headhunter, I have known the current Gonzales coach for many years. He is only interested in the game his team is playing that week.. Furthermore, he is not interested in running up scores---He just wants to WIN!
Fair enough but the statement was made that Cuero DESERVED it - that's what sparked the conversation..

headhunter
11-01-2011, 08:39 AM
Well bigcat8, I am glad you know the coach and I am glad you had to quote the entire msg. If you read, my comment it is not about running up the score. Putting points on the board is important and if Gonzales cannot get into the endzone at least 6 times on Friday night, I would think your playoff run will be a short one. Sam Houston hung 45 points on the Gobblers. It's not about running up scores, it is showing that you can execute. I would think your gameplan is to score on every drive. If you cannot accomplish that vs Cuero than your not very good!!

bigcat8
11-01-2011, 09:14 AM
Headhunter, if all Gobbler fans are like you, I feel for the Gobbler players. I'll bet if they win, you will be the first one back on the bandwagon!

headhunter
11-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Bandwagon fan??? See in Cuero, we have one or two bad years a decade NOT 9 out of 10 years. There is absolutly no bandwagon here. The kids are always talented enough to win. I will not debate with you why Cuero is down because now and on this msg board is not the place to do it.

My point is --- If Gonzales is the real deal, then it should not be close. You don't let 3-6 teams hang around in a game that should give you a boost going into playoffs. Nevermind if I am a Cuero fan or not. YOU MISSED THE POINT. I am realistic in knowing that if you let Cuero win or even hang around then judging by the past two weeks I would say you are not improving and your playoff run is suspect. What has made you think Cuero is capable of winning this week? Come on man, don't downplay your Apaches, let's hear how good that 9-0 record is, let's see the best Gonzales team on Friday night. If I was an oddsmaker, the spread would probably be Gonzales -21.5

bigcat8
11-01-2011, 10:39 AM
YOU MISSED THE POINT!!! Support your team!!!!! Mark Reeve is a smart man!! There is a reason he left Cuero when he did.
Bandwagon fan??? See in Cuero, we have one or two bad years a decade NOT 9 out of 10 years. There is absolutly no bandwagon here. The kids are always talented enough to win. I will not debate with you why Cuero is down because now and on this msg board is not the place to do it.

My point is --- If Gonzales is the real deal, then it should not be close. You don't let 3-6 teams hang around in a game that should give you a boost going into playoffs. Nevermind if I am a Cuero fan or not. YOU MISSED THE POINT. I am realistic in knowing that if you let Cuero win or even hang around then judging by the past two weeks I would say you are not improving and your playoff run is suspect. What has made you think Cuero is capable of winning this week? Come on man, don't downplay your Apaches, let's hear how good that 9-0 record is, let's see the best Gonzales team on Friday night. If I was an oddsmaker, the spread would probably be Gonzales -21.5

bigcat8
11-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Not by me.. I don't believe a group of teenagers ever deserves to have their noses rubbed in it.. Defeat is enough!!
Fair enough but the statement was made that Cuero DESERVED it - that's what sparked the conversation..

buff4ever
11-01-2011, 10:53 AM
YOU MISSED THE POINT!!! Support your team!!!!! Mark Reeve is a smart man!! There is a reason he left Cuero when he did.

You can't get Cuero fans to except that they actually are lacking talent at this point. And no, even though I could be wrong cause I don't know, I don't believe that there is talent walking around the school that is better enough to make a difference for that team. They kicked a kid off the team, which was the right thing to do in my opinion, and he would have been good enough to make this team 6-4 and make the playoffs. Then things would be OKAY, not great, and these comments wouldn't be happening on this thread. The tradition in Cuero is amongst the best in the state, sometimes that breeds really stupid fans that have no concept of talent or football, but boy do they think they do. It is just suppose to happen right? Cuero is never suppose to be down in talent and lose to anyone. Gotta love fans like this. Even if you don't like the way the school board went, that doesn't mean that any coaching staff would do better than what you have right now. Unless you would have hired someone that would have kept Trent on the team just to keep his job. Is that what you wanted?

44INAROW
11-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Not by me.. I don't believe a group of teenagers ever deserves to have their noses rubbed in it.. Defeat is enough!!

I agree with you 100% but the statement was made that's why I commented.. I am staying completely out of the other discussions :)

rb585
11-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Bandwagon fan??? See in Cuero, we have one or two bad years a decade NOT 9 out of 10 years. There is absolutly no bandwagon here. The kids are always talented enough to win.

I honestly don't think they are this season.

buff4ever
11-01-2011, 01:24 PM
I honestly don't think they are this season.

There are a handfull of fans in Cuero that you cannot convince that the talent level is down on any year. They can watch the game and if a gobbler player gets ran around and by play after play, it is the coaches fault he isn't faster and stronger and mightier than the athlete across the line of scrimmage. I honestly don't even know if some of the handfull can watch the game intelligently enough to know that the gobbler players are getting physically outplayed every down.

headhunter
11-01-2011, 01:57 PM

So the comment was made that we (Cuero) deserve the score to be ran up. This was my reason for posting. If you don't like to get beat then don't let the other team in the endzone. I expect Gonzales to execute their offense everytime they touch the ball. Nothing I have seen this season would give me any reason to think Gonzales is not capable of putting 40-50 points on the board. Why on Earth do you think this game should be or will be close?

If I see a close game I will think Less of Gonzales's perfect record. It will show they are not improving and would give me the impression they are not good enough to make a deep run in the playoffs. All I hear from others around the area is how good Gonzales is and how this is their year to make a run. Well let's not down play the talent and coaching Gonzales has. Lets see the best team in the district.

As for Cuero's talent. You guys have to be kidding me to think that 3-7 record is acceptable and equals the talent level we have. Like I said, I didn't expect to be 9-1 or 8-2 but I did think this group had enough to make playoffs and win 5 or 6 games. Not sure how you can disagree with that. If you think Cuero has a fighting chance this Friday night vs the Apaches then you probably should think they are good enough to win 6 games this season. I have to feel for those kids. It is a tough season and not having the opportunity to get to the playoffs is tough.

headhunter
11-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Buff4ever --- you said it exactly correct in your post. "I could be wrong because I dont know."

The talent may not be 10-0 but it sure the heck isn't 3-7
Give me a break. I understand completely that it takes talent to win and some years are better than others. But why don't you go ahead and tell the players that they are only, at best a 3-7 team at the beginning of the season?
Poteet, Pleasanton, LaVernia are the only three teams we are better than? I disagree with you and furthermore I would be willing to think the coaches and players would agree there were two or three more games that were winnable.

headhunter
11-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Why I even bother to discuss anything on this board makes me wonder. I told myself I would not get caught up in the msg board talk with all the experts who know everything.

You guys are probably right. Heck I might not know anything about the game, the players, the attitude in the locker room or the talent level. So thank you for your time and thanks for giving me your knowledge. I appreciate you even saying, "I don't even know." maybe I'll post on here one week next year!

Out

Apache91
11-01-2011, 02:31 PM
44inarow-I can't take that statement out. You are correct, the kids don't deserve it. I get upset seeing some of Refugio's scores this year. I enjoy the rivalry in between Cuero and Gonzales.

44INAROW
11-01-2011, 02:43 PM
44inarow-I can't take that statement out. You are correct, the kids don't deserve it.. .

I totally agree......... :)

fire_it_up
11-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Wow!!! All of this talk is making my head hurt. All I can say is....Go Apaches. I don't care what their record is, who they're coached by, or who's not suited up. Just beat 'em!!!

ApacheForever
11-01-2011, 08:41 PM
When these two teams meet you can throw records and everything else out the window. The kids talented or not step up a notch. I have seen some very good Cuero teams that made it far in the playoffs come into this game and barely hang onto a win vs Gonzales that only had one or two wins.

apache78
11-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Exactly Forever, kids are kids and they know when their community pride is on the line. This game has always been a battle. Some years talent definitely ran away with it, but if you look back at the history of this great rivalry, these are good games and will continue to be so. It's gut time and I guarantee you those seniors from Cuero are not laying down because the Apaches are walking in with a 9-0 record. More incentive to give a black eye to us going into the playoffs. I know our kids have done it a couple of times over the years as well. I for one am not looking for a blowout, I just want to win, baby.

LV_Bearfan
11-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Cuero wins. GZ is due for a stumble, and Cuero doesn't just give out W's to opponents at home. If the Gobblers bring the emotion, they will win. Nothing against GZ. I hope the Apaches go far in the playoffs.

warhorsejoe
11-02-2011, 09:18 PM
This is also the Apaches trap game and could trip up. The Apaches have little to gain but a lot to loose in this one. That's how I see it because Devine is in the same situation in 27-3A. We'll see and hope for a injury free game.

SHSBulldog00
11-02-2011, 09:49 PM
Cuero wins at home and the Gobblers want nothing more than to keep Gonzales from going 10-0.

Blue42
11-03-2011, 06:39 AM
# 20 will be back for this game.

YTBulldogs
11-03-2011, 08:24 AM

This is a big plus for the Gobblers.

bigcat8
11-03-2011, 08:56 AM
sure helped them alot against Yoakum
This is a big plus for the Gobblers.

YTBulldogs
11-03-2011, 09:14 AM
sure helped them alot against Yoakum

He played well. He's only a freshman and I think he'll be a force for year's to come.

44INAROW
11-03-2011, 09:21 AM

Good News..
GO MEAN GREEN!!!!

underthetepee
11-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Well, Gonzo started 3 freshman on the offensive line last year and they all 3 are dominating this year. So good luck to him. Hey YT? can you please vote for me? I can't vote yet and would like to vote for Gonzo in this poll. Thanks
He played well. He's only a freshman and I think he'll be a force for year's to come.

YTBulldogs
11-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Well, Gonzo started 3 freshman on the offensive line last year and they all 3 are dominating this year. So good luck to him. Hey YT? can you please vote for me? I can't vote yet and would like to vote for Gonzo in this poll. Thanks

Sure TP. Just 89 more post's from you, then your legal:)

Gontex
11-04-2011, 06:34 AM
Any word on the JV player from Cuero who went out on a backboard and was taken to the local hospital. Looked like one of his teammates fell on him. Hope the young man is okay.

BigGreen61
11-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Read what the big cheif from GZ said in the victoria advocate today. I guess he forgot where hes playing at tonight. Has he ever beat cuero since hes been coaching?

Sportshack
11-04-2011, 05:05 PM
I have not seen Cuero since first game of season so things could have changed dramatically. However, they were such a different team than the team Wimberley played twice last year that I was shocked. I am not feeling it for teh Gobblers against Gonzalez. However, I do not know alot about the Apaches, just that they have fared well this year against all comers.

fire_it_up
11-04-2011, 05:08 PM
What is so wrong with saying, " we want to show them we can win on their grass"? You're just being over-dramatic. Isn't the game being played in Cuero on your grass and we want to beat y'all? You made it sound like he said something TERRIBLE! I only looked at the article online. Are you referring to a different one?

Johnny Utah
11-04-2011, 05:51 PM
I have watched Cuero for a long time, not near as long as many of the Gobbler posters but why did Reeve retire? He saw the writing on the wall....he saw the lack of talent in a few grades and decided to step down. Now, why did his son leave.....same reason in my opinion. Great teams win with Great talent. Sure coaching plays a role in some of it, but look at Refugio.....my Grandmother could coach them with that talent. Does anyone remember a few years ago when REFUGIO talent was down??? Man what a decline! Head Coach fired when the talent was down, new coach came in at the right time and look at them now. Talent in small schools cycles, I believe it is Cuero's cycle. But of course losing the stud RB to his own transgressions just sped up the process. From what I have heard the younger grades at Cuero are loaded, and they will rebound. Where has Gonzales basketball talent gone??? Same thing. Many really good head coaches around the State turned that Gonzales basketball job down for a reason. Just saying. I do know that district has many very good head coaches and assistants, same thing is true in Cuero. Thing in Texas is...if you do not win (even though you may be doing things the right way) you will get fired. Happens in programs that are a lot less storied than Cuero. I for one think the current staff is very knowledgable and very good and I hope they get a chance to rebound after this season, then everyone can decide if they were the right fit. Heaven forbid that Sinton would have sent Coach Allen packing after his first year and that 1-9 finish....sometimes it takes time. Look at Sinton since. It is easy to comment on things when you are an observer like myself and others, but what really goes on in the hallways, classrooms, locker rooms, meeting rooms, film sessions and during practices. Only the coaches and players know and I would bet that they are doing the very best they can with the hand they have been dealt. I agree, when bitter rivals play, records do not mean a thing. Good luck to all involved. Going to be interesting what happens.

Apache91
11-04-2011, 07:44 PM
14 to 0 2nd quarter

Apache91
11-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Half. 14 to 0. Gonzales

Apache91
11-04-2011, 09:23 PM
28 to 0 Gonzales. Final Score. Good season Apaches. Good Luck in the playoffs!!!!!

gobbler grad
11-04-2011, 09:25 PM
good luck Apaches...kick butt !

Roughneck93
11-04-2011, 09:25 PM
28 to 0 Gonzales. Final Score. Good season Apaches. Good Luck in the playoffs!!!!!

Congrats Apaches! :clap:

Old Green
11-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Congrats Gonzales on winning the District Championship and going 10-0. We'll be be following the Apaches thru the playoffs and Goog Luck.:cheerl:

LV_Bearfan
11-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Congrats to Gonzales. Now, let's go win some playoff games!

SintonFan
11-04-2011, 10:41 PM

Congratulation Gonzales on your district Title! You guys will do well. :cool:

Cuero, we know you will come back tougher next year. Keep your heads up! Johnny Utah brought up some very valid points. Trust in your system and who knows? Yall might be celebrating a Title next year. :cool:
(http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/member.php?3805-Johnny-Utah)

fire_it_up
11-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Congrats to Gonzales. Now, let's go win some playoff games!

Let's go! Congrats to y'all too! So proud of our Apaches!

ApacheForever
11-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Congrats to the Apaches!! Great job coaches and players. I was very shocked tonight looking across to the Cuero stands; they were almost empty. I have never seen that in Cuero; that is sad for the players and the community. One thing I can say about Gonzales is the fan support is great. They are behind the boys through thick and thin. I remember not so long ago in between the Lock years we were 1-9. We still packed the stands and traveled to the out of town games.

Pudlugger
11-04-2011, 11:28 PM
Congrats to the Apaches. There is a new sheriff in town. Good luck going into the playoffs. Very impressive season thus far. Watch out for Columbia they are giant killers.

Lombardi
11-05-2011, 10:07 AM
He didn't forget and yes he has beat cuero since he has been coaching,,28-0 on Gobbla turf!!!!!

Read what the big cheif from GZ said in the victoria advocate today. I guess he forgot where hes playing at tonight. Has he ever beat cuero since hes been coaching?

fire_it_up
11-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Congratulations Apaches for a perfect season! Great job coaches and staff. I have never seen a team with this much heart. I am very proud to ba part of the APACHE NATION!

YTBulldogs
11-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Great season GZ. Good luck to all D28 playoff teams too.