PDA

View Full Version : La Grange invades Tiger Country to gain playoff bid

Pudlugger
10-28-2011, 11:20 PM
The La Grange Leopards, who started so slowly in pre-district(1-4) against several top teams, now goes toe to toe with an upstart Smithville Tiger football(7-1) team fresh off a humiliating defeat by the rightful heir the D23 Champions Navasota. Going into this game what do we have? Smithville, a perennial losing team, going forth year after year to meet defeat, getting their X's and O's together to gain a 7-1 advantage over a surging La Grange Leopard team to gain a berth in the playoffs not seen since 1998. What stands in the way? Will the Leps crump and give Smithville the big win or will the Leps crush the Tigers to gain a playoff berth and rescue their season?

Sportshack
10-28-2011, 11:39 PM
Crazy season...LaGrange after tough start...has worked to improve and is in the mix...while Smithville has had a magical run up to a disappointing defeat tonight and actually faces the prospect of elimination next week...how weird is that!!!

Pudlugger
10-28-2011, 11:45 PM
Smithville has had a magical season and all of us have been lifted by it, but if they had the strength of schedule of the Leps it would look differently. Yes. they beat a very good Giddings team by 3 and the got their hat handed to them by a determined Navasota squad by 4 tds. Now they must beat a battle tested and on the rise La Grange team. I like our odds. La Grange by 14.

gameface
10-29-2011, 07:08 AM
It will be an intense cat fight but I believe spotted cat will prevail over stripes. Our offense will pour on many points with our skill and depth. In my opinion, our defensive strength will be the difference in this game. So, skill over will in this game. Leps will have GAMEFACE on! Leps are healthy and will win by 21. I would love to see the mightly Leps earn a chance to play long time rival C-town in 1st round!!

HEMOTOXIC
10-29-2011, 08:18 AM
After seeing both teams recently, I will give La Grange the edge. Once again, it will be about the matchups. I was not impressed with Smithville at all. Maybe it was their weak schedule that lead to the success and hype coming out of their area. Unless Navasota is that good, I thougt that the game would have been more contested.

With that said, my pick, La Grange by 14.

Pudlugger
10-29-2011, 08:32 AM
After seeing both teams recently, I will give La Grange the edge. Once again, it will be about the matchups. I was not impressed with Smithville at all. Maybe it was their weak schedule that lead to the success and hype coming out of their area. Unless Navasota is that good, I thougt that the game would have been more contested.

With that said, my pick, La Grange by 14.

Hemo you have been right on your predictions lately and I hope that continues. What I take away from the Rattlers crushing win over the Tigers is that Smithville has 1) benefited from a weak schedule(Giddings being the exception, falling into a trap game...see#2); 2) They have been feeding off their emotional high from the fast start in pre-district play against relatively weak opponents. Navasota brought them down to earth. That being said, you can expect the Tigers to be sky high with emotion and intensity for their home crowd appearance against their big rival La Grange with a playoff berth at stake.
I can say with some confidence that the Leps will show up with similar focus and intensity. These young men are on a mission to redeem themselves from a disappointing start in the 2011 season. They have 24 underclassmen who have matured greatly over the course of this rough schedule and want a shot at the big dance. [Win or lose the Leps will be huge next season with 17 starters and 24 returning lettermen from this team.]

Go Leps, beat Smithville and go to the playoffs.

buff4ever
10-29-2011, 08:33 AM
I have to think that running back not playing got in the heads of the tigers more than jr and duckhunter hoped to think. Then navasota got up early and smithville layed down. This is a sign of a team that still hasn't bought into their success due to past circumstances.

With that being said, I think smithville is capable of beating LG, and will come out fighting for that playoff spot. I think smithville went into navasota already determined that LG would be the big game. This will be an awesome game for sure, I tend to lean towards lg cause rb may still not be back and he is a play maker.

Now, you give navasota the dc already, and it is a fact they own a share of it atleast. But don't rule giddings out of this weeks game for a share of title. The game is in giddings and I think we are capable of winning this game against a good navasota team.

HEMOTOXIC
10-29-2011, 08:43 AM
Did I miss something? Didn't the RB play for Smithville?

No excuses from Smithville, the game wasn't even close. It was 40-0 and easily could/should have been 54-0 before the Tigers got on the board. Why not controll your own destiny and win? Smithville is clearly over rated and if La Grange shows up, the Leps will win.

FYI, Navasota's top two RB's saw more action against Smithville but neither started. Navasota is hard to beat when all three backs are in the lineup and when Byrd/Horn are getting the rock. Malek is good but Byrd and Horn bring much more to the Rattler offense.

Pudlugger
10-29-2011, 09:08 AM
Week 10 in D23 will be huge. I vote Smithville v LG as game of the week but Navasota v Giddings would be just as good(but both these teams have already been GOTW).

ExScoop
10-29-2011, 09:09 AM
Big rivalry with towns only about 18 miles appart-Will go with the Leopards in an upset

HEMOTOXIC
10-29-2011, 09:09 AM
Week 10 in D23 will be huge. I vote Smithville v LG as game of the week but Navasota v Giddings would be just as good(but both these teams have already been GOTW).

La Grange @ Smithville gets my vote!

Pudlugger
10-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Now, you give navasota the dc already, and it is a fact they own a share of it at least. But don't rule giddings out of this weeks game for a share of title. The game is in giddings and I think we are capable of winning this game against a good navasota team.

True Giddings is capable of winning this game especially at home with DC on the line. However, if Navasota continues with the intensity they displayed since their scare against LG I think they get the win. It comes down to how the two teams match up. Both have the athletes but I think the Navasota passing game will prove to be the difference. It will be close with both teams scoring 20+ points but the Rattlers will get by +7.

Saggy Aggie
10-29-2011, 11:03 AM
Thinking about attending this one. I'm happy for smithville after the year they've had but I'm esoecially happy for LG after that tough start. All us WC guys could see the pieces in place and the talent to win, but it just wasnt coming together yet. Kudos to your coaching staff because you guys have really figured it out! I think LG takes this one by 14, earns a playoff bid, beats Columbus in rd 1 and is a really tough out for someone down the road. Best 3 win team ever!! LOL

Manso/V8
10-29-2011, 11:54 AM
I am getting lost on this D23 playoff race.
DC champ or co-DC champ, Navasota goes DI?
Giddings, Smithville, and La Grange all still have a shot at a DII playoff berth?
What has to happen for Giddings to be DII - D23W? or D23R?
What has to happen for Smithville to be DII - D23W? or D23R?
What has to happen for La Grange to be DII - D23W? or D23R?

Pudlugger
10-29-2011, 12:57 PM
If SV wins they go DIIW if Giddings loses to Nav. If Giddings wins they are co champs and Giddings goes DII W. If LG beats SV by 4 or more and Giddings loses to Nav LG goes DIIW and Giddings DII R and SV plays BB. If LG loses and Giddings wins three way tie for DC Leps go home and it goes to points. SV would be -21 so they would go DII R. Finally, if Giddings wins and LG wins then G goes DIIW and LG Goes DIIR and SV goes home. Got it?

Saggy Aggie
10-29-2011, 01:14 PM
No way Smithville/Navasota/LG make the playoffs and Giddings goes home?

Pudlugger
10-29-2011, 01:43 PM
No Giddings has clinched a bid for the playoffs win or lose Friday.

Bull's-eye
10-29-2011, 01:57 PM
No Giddings has clinched a bid for the playoffs win or lose Friday.

What if Gidding loses to Navasota & LG wins over Smithville by exactly 3 points? There would be a 3 way tie with LG, Giddings & Smithville all having the same point differential. Would they go to a different tie-breaker or have a coin toss?

Manso/V8
10-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Got it?

uh....yep, that makes it really clear for us, Bellville will play Giddings, Smithville, or La Grange in the first round!
Who would match up best against Bellville?

HEMOTOXIC
10-29-2011, 02:21 PM
From my understanding, Giddings has not clinched.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
10-29-2011, 03:05 PM
If Smithville beat La grange they would be 1st in small school bracket and Giddings 2nd as 3rd place team. Smithville vs Columbus and Bellville vs Giddings. Smithville loses by more than 4 to La Grange the leps would go in as 3rd place and play Bellville in 1st round. Giddings would be 1st seed in small school and play Columbus.
If Smithville beats La Grange and Giddings beats Navasota, smithville would be 1st seed in small bracket playing Columbus and Giddings would be 2nd seed in small school braket playing Bellville.
One thing that is clear would be the rematch vs Navasota vs Sealy in 1st round.

Manso/V8
10-29-2011, 03:51 PM
If Smithville beat La grange they would be 1st in small school bracket and Giddings 2nd as 3rd place team. Smithville vs Columbus and Bellville vs Giddings. Smithville loses by more than 4 to La Grange the leps would go in as 3rd place and play Bellville in 1st round. Giddings would be 1st seed in small school and play Columbus.
If Smithville beats La Grange and Giddings beats Navasota, smithville would be 1st seed in small bracket playing Columbus and Giddings would be 2nd seed in small school braket playing Bellville.

So, Bellville will play either Giddings or La Grange.........no chance that Bellville plays Smithville?

Pudlugger
10-29-2011, 04:00 PM

Ok you got me on that one. The only way Giddings doesn't go is if they lose to Navasota and LG wins by exactly 3 against Smithville and Giddings loses the coin flip in the three way tie. Also, if LG beats SV by 4 or more and Giddings loses to Navasota the point spread would be Giddings 0, Sv -1 and LG +1 so LG goes as W to DII, Giddings as R DII and Nav as DC to DI. LG plays Columbus and Bellville plays Giddings in that scenario.

Pudlugger
10-29-2011, 04:11 PM
Yes if both Giddings and SV win Friday a three way tie at 4-1 for DC exists and by points Giddings goes as W and SV would go as R to play Bellville. Right now Giddings would have -3 yet to play Navasota and SV -26 having played both. If Giddings beats Navasota to set up the three way tie they can only gain more points while SV is done with points having already played both those teams. So in this scenario Nav goes DI, Giddings goes DII as Winner to play Columbus and SV DII as RU to play Bellville.

Bull's-eye
10-29-2011, 04:18 PM
So, Bellville will play either Giddings or La Grange.........no chance that Bellville plays Smithville?

I believe with Giddings winning over Navasota & Smithville defeating LG, there would be a first place tie between Navasota, Smithville & Giddings. Point differential would not favor Smithville with their huge loss to the Rattlers, thus most likely making them the 3rd place team and being the DII-D23R?

Would they use the point differential between the 3 teams or does the head-to-head record between Smithville & Giddings (the 2 smaller schools) decide the DII-D23 winner?

Pudlugger
10-29-2011, 04:22 PM
See my last post above for how that works out Bull's Eye. You are correct. Since it is a three way tie points would be used and no way SV comes out on top of that scenario with a 29 point loss to Nav and 3 point win against Giddings (-26). Giddings goes into Navasota at -3 points and even if they only win by 1 point against Navasota they would have -2 points to -26 for SV.

Bull's-eye
10-29-2011, 04:30 PM
See my last post above for how that works out Bull's Eye. You are correct. Since it is a three way tie points would be used and no way SV comes out on top of that scenario with a 29 point loss to Nav and 3 point win against Giddings (-26). Giddings goes into Navasota at -3 points and even if they only win by 1 point against Navasota they would have -2 points to -26 for SV.

Don't forget, there is a max point differential. I don't believe that Smithville would be given a -29 for their loss vs Navasota. I remember several years ago this actually happening in our district.

Pudlugger
10-29-2011, 06:42 PM
In that case why even bother, just consult your local palm reader.

Bull's-eye
10-29-2011, 08:11 PM
From what I have found, the UIL allows each individual district to choose their own way of breaking ties. Most use head-to-head to settle ties between 2 teams. In the case of 3 way ties, points differential is used to determine the top team & then they revert back to head-to-head format among the 2 remaining teams. There is usually a point cap, some have used 14, 18 or 21 points. The capping of points is deemed necessary in case of blow outs and while this puts some teams at a disadvantage and discredits some of their perofrmance to a certain extent, it actually is a fair way of solving the tiebreakers and prevents the unnecessary running up of the score.

Bull's-eye
10-29-2011, 08:51 PM
Also, if LG beats SV by 4 or more and Giddings loses to Navasota the point spread would be Giddings 0, Sv -1 and LG +1 so LG goes as W to DII, Giddings as R DII and Nav as DC to DI. LG plays Columbus and Bellville plays Giddings in that scenario.

In this scenario, LG would be awarded the top spot among the 3 tied teams & go DII winner. Once the top spot (in 3 way ties) is decided by point differential, tie-breaker reverts back to the head-to-head format. Smithville would get the next spot due to their win over Giddings. LG would play Columbus, but it would be Smithville vs Bellville. I think this is right, can someone verify this?

Pudlugger
10-30-2011, 08:42 AM
In this scenario, LG would be awarded the top spot among the 3 tied teams & go DII winner. Once the top spot (in 3 way ties) is decided by point differential, tie-breaker reverts back to the head-to-head format. Smithville would get the next spot due to their win over Giddings. LG would play Columbus, but it would be Smithville vs Bellville. I think this is right, can someone verify this?

My head hurts. Bottom line the Leps need to play with great determination and focus Friday get the win and move on to the playoffs. Just win.

hookandladder
10-30-2011, 12:43 PM
My head hurts. Bottom line the Leps need to play with great determination and focus Friday get the win and move on to the playoffs. Just win.

That is what I am talking about, just focus on playing great ball with great intensity. Leps know what needs to happen and all else will take care of itself, this should be a great game and I like our chances. FYI- The Morris kid did not play last week because of a concussion, my nephew said the shot he took against Giddings LB was very scary. So he will have to be cleared to play this week, I hope he is and is ready to play. No excuses for either team, best team wins.

Pudlugger
10-31-2011, 06:47 AM
I am really looking forward to this game. The Leps have found their groove and seem to be stronger each week now. The big factor I think is that they have the confidence of knowing they can win against good football teams like Smithville. They came so close in the first two games of district against top 25 ranked Giddings and Navasota then finally in a do or die match with Rockdale they broke out. Caldwell was a confidence booster giving the offense an opportunity to work out the playbook. Now they control their destiny and must win the big game against a determined Smithville team who are on the cusp of their first playoff appearance since 1996. The Smithville stands are going to be packed and the atmosphere will be like a playoff game. The Tigers will most certainly rebound from the lopsided loss to Navasota and come out fighting. Wounded Tigers are the most dangerous and the Leps better be ready to play.

gameface
10-31-2011, 07:32 AM
Leps cat hair will be standing up with the electricity in the air. Gotta keep focused and maintain 48 minutes of no mistake intensity football. In my opinion, both offenses have similar depth with LG having more targets for effective passing. But the big difference is LG has a very solid defense. If we stop SV running game, game over. It may be an intense rally the first half, but I predict a Tiger romping 2nd half! LG by 21. Leps have GAMEFACE ON!!!

1st and goal
10-31-2011, 05:26 PM
I think if #4 for Smithville is still not playing, then LG has a good chance. He is that much of an impact player. Very, very fast and elusive quick. He's as fast on the field as anyone I've seen this year.

Roughneck93
10-31-2011, 05:32 PM
LG by 3.

HEMOTOXIC
10-31-2011, 05:33 PM
I think if #4 for Smithville is still not playing, then LG has a good chance. He is that much of an impact player. Very, very fast and elusive quick. He's as fast on the field as anyone I've seen this year.

Does he play defense as well? Defense wins games and defense is what Smithville was lacking Friday.

duckhunter
10-31-2011, 07:14 PM
Does he play defense as well? Defense wins games and defense is what Smithville was lacking Friday.

defense didn't commit four turnovers on Friday. Defense actually wasn't what hurt the Tigers IMO. Smithville actually recovered the fumble on the on the "inadvenrdant whistle" but the ball was rewarded back to the rattlers. That was a big moment in the game. After that call you could tell Smithville basically just gave up thinking they couldnt win the game not matter what.......The officials in that game were terrible. Not saying that they cost Smithville the game, because Navasota was clearly better, but they had no business being out there.

duckhunter
10-31-2011, 07:16 PM
I agree. If he plays Smithville wins. If he doesn't play the game will be a dog fight.......in response to Hemtoxic, yes he plays D. I think he is a starting cornerback?

HEMOTOXIC
10-31-2011, 07:19 PM
defense didn't commit four turnovers on Friday. Defense actually wasn't what hurt the Tigers IMO. Smithville actually recovered the fumble on the on the "inadvenrdant whistle" but the ball was rewarded back to the rattlers. That was a big moment in the game. After that call you could tell Smithville basically just gave up thinking they couldnt win the game not matter what.......The officials in that game were terrible. Not saying that they cost Smithville the game, because Navasota was clearly better, but they had no business being out there.

LOL, the officials were horrible. What was the score when that whistle play happened? And, the lack of defense still hurt Smithville. The only play that Navasota scored due to Smithvilles offense inwhich the defense didn't take the field was the interception. Even with the four turnovers (yes I do know that it is hard to win a game when you turn the ball over four times) the defense still didn't do their part. Good teams have a way of making other teams do things that they normally don't do.

HEMOTOXIC
10-31-2011, 07:22 PM
I agree. If he plays Smithville wins. If he doesn't play the game will be a dog fight.......in response to Hemtoxic, yes he plays D. I think he is a starting cornerback?

Ok, I just don't see how this one player will have that big of an effect on that game. But, we shall see.

Leopards by 14

1st and goal
10-31-2011, 08:29 PM
I just want to say that he took a head on collision at the line that was exactly like 2 male mountain rams colliding. It just happened that our LB had expected it and #4 didn't have any time to react as he hit the gap. I hope he's OK. I'm pretty sure he had a full on concussion. Maybe more. Lucky that neither had a broken neck.

HEMOTOXIC
10-31-2011, 10:16 PM
I just want to say that he took a head on collision at the line that was exactly like 2 male mountain rams colliding. It just happened that our LB had expected it and #4 didn't have any time to react as he hit the gap. I hope he's OK. I'm pretty sure he had a full on concussion. Maybe more. Lucky that neither had a broken neck.

Hopefully, he is okay and is ready to play on Friday. As someone stated earlier, Barry Field will be rocking. Good luck to both teams!

SintonFan
10-31-2011, 10:35 PM
Go Leopards!!!

Pudlugger
11-01-2011, 06:42 AM

No dogs on this field only big cats. If the player had a concussion he probably wont be ready to play. Players need plenty of rest following a concussion and a gradual return to strenuous physical activity. Two weeks rest with no strenuous physical or mental activity followed with a 5 day step up in activity the week back in practice before pads and full contact. I hope he fully recovers and doesn't try to come back before he's safely able. I heard the Tigers are deep in running backs so they will be alright.

Pudlugger
11-01-2011, 08:00 AM
I find it strange that the big game between LG and Smithville is in three days and still not a peep from Smithville posters on this board. Why are they not up front supporting the cause? I guess they want to lay low and see how things go after the disappointing loss to Navasota. I'd like to hear from jrHernandez7 regarding how the Tigers are preparing.

Coach BS
11-01-2011, 08:04 AM
defense didn't commit four turnovers on Friday. Defense actually wasn't what hurt the Tigers IMO. Smithville actually recovered the fumble on the on the "inadvenrdant whistle" but the ball was rewarded back to the rattlers. That was a big moment in the game. After that call you could tell Smithville basically just gave up thinking they couldnt win the game not matter what.......The officials in that game were terrible. Not saying that they cost Smithville the game, because Navasota was clearly better, but they had no business being out there.Officials dont win or lose games, teams do. Thats funny lost by 4+ tds and blame officials.

duckhunter
11-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Officials dont win or lose games, teams do. Thats funny lost by 4+ tds and blame officials.

obviously your reading comprehension sucks because I did not blame the refs in the Smithville lose. I simply stated that they were terrible. Thanks, and gig em

buff4ever
11-01-2011, 09:47 AM
I gotta say, duck didn't blame the officials or the lack of #4 in the game for that loss. He stated that Navasota was CLEARLY the better team. #4 would have made it a more competitive game with play on both sides of the ball. Prolly would have been fastest athlete on the field. I think that Smithville gave up after trailing a little and chalked the game up.

This game is going to be a cat fight to write about, both teams are capable of winning this game, who shows up will make the difference. I still think LG if #4 is going to be there to make big plays.

jrhernandez7
11-01-2011, 10:08 AM
"LG invades tiger country " lol silly leps tricks are for kids. the tigers have shaked off last weeks debacle an now are furious! LG wants Smithville well the leps are going to get them. No meed to be worrying about are boys getting up for this one. LG is our biggest rival an throw in a playoff spot
See you in Smithville Friday night leps , an have your popcorn ready bc its going be a show!!! :)

jrhernandez7
11-01-2011, 10:17 AM
an I'm never going blame officials for a loss, but there was diff something going on last Friday w the zebras an completely took the air out of the tigers lungs an killed there mojo early. should have been closer score, hats off navasota, you have good athletes. I'm off that topic.

HEMOTOXIC
11-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Okay, from a fan's view, the officials were horrible. Yes, there were questionable calls or the lack of calls for both teams. With that said, a team has to play through the adversity and play ball.

IMO, Navasota was head and shoulders above Smithville on Friday. Whether #4 would have made up 4 touchdowns or not, injuries are a part of the game.

For our first 3 or 4 games, Navasota was without their top back, Byrd. Then our #2 back went out for two games. It is what it is and good teams find a way to play through injuries. Even with the two backs being back and healthy since Rockdale, the Rockdale game was the last that the #1 and #2 back started. I know that I am beating a dead horse, but, IMO, Navasota is a better team with their top two backs in the line up. We managed to win without the two playing because our defense stepped up their play.

Hopefully #4 is healthy for the Tigers and is ready to go. I wish both teams good luck and may the best cat win on Friday!

hookandladder
11-01-2011, 01:16 PM
I talked to a friend today that said Morris is still questionable and he did not know if he would be able to play, he also said they lost a couple other kids one RB and one on defense. Part of the game, if someone is out time for someone else to step up. Tailgate starts at 5pm in North endzone parking lot, look for Motorhomes with LG Flag.Go Leps.

gameface
11-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Best of luck to #4SV RB-get well, stay well. Again, LG defense is difference in game. We stop the run, we see playoff time. Also, we have a little more passing depth-predict Vinclarik's biggest game! Should be a fun cat fight. LG by 21. GAMEFACE ON!

buff4ever
11-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Okay, from a fan's view, the officials were horrible. Yes, there were questionable calls or the lack of calls for both teams. With that said, a team has to play through the adversity and play ball.

IMO, Navasota was head and shoulders above Smithville on Friday. Whether #4 would have made up 4 touchdowns or not, injuries are a part of the game.

For our first 3 or 4 games, Navasota was without their top back, Byrd. Then our #2 back went out for two games. It is what it is and good teams find a way to play through injuries. Even with the two backs being back and healthy since Rockdale, the Rockdale game was the last that the #1 and #2 back started. I know that I am beating a dead horse, but, IMO, Navasota is a better team with their top two backs in the line up. We managed to win without the two playing because our defense stepped up their play.

Hopefully #4 is healthy for the Tigers and is ready to go. I wish both teams good luck and may the best cat win on Friday!

Easy Hemo, Navasota is better than Smithville and no one is claiming different. The only point anyone might be trying to make is that you guys didn't get to see the Smithville team anywhere near its best. Be it b/c they layed down early without key player, or b/c key player wasn't playing. These are things that happen a lot easier with a Smithville team than a year in year out successful team like Navasota or Giddings or Sealy and on and on and on. The smithville kids are not use to winning for one, and then you throw in some adversity and they haven't learned how to trust and adapt like more successful programs who through time have become mentally tougher and capable. If Smithville can get things going their way early against LG at home, LG will struggle to win this game. If LG can get something going early, what happened in Navasota could happen again. We didn't get in their head until the second half after we were down 21 -0 which was too late for our run heavy offense.

HEMOTOXIC
11-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Easy Hemo, Navasota is better than Smithville and no one is claiming different. The only point anyone might be trying to make is that you guys didn't get to see the Smithville team anywhere near its best. Be it b/c they layed down early without key player, or b/c key player wasn't playing. These are things that happen a lot easier with a Smithville team than a year in year out successful team like Navasota or Giddings or Sealy and on and on and on. The smithville kids are not use to winning for one, and then you throw in some adversity and they haven't learned how to trust and adapt like more successful programs who through time have become mentally tougher and capable. If Smithville can get things going their way early against LG at home, LG will struggle to win this game. If LG can get something going early, what happened in Navasota could happen again. We didn't get in their head until the second half after we were down 21 -0 which was too late for our run heavy offense.

I am sorry, but, I was not meaning to be negative in anyway.

I understand that the injury was a big blow to the team. I was just stating that the team has to step it up in all aspects of the game when players are down. Navasota and other teams for that matter are not the exception when it comes to injuries.

In the La Grange v Navasota, we were up 20-9 heading into the 4th Q. La Grange's best defense was to keep Navasota's offense off the field and it almost worked.

Coach BS
11-01-2011, 04:46 PM
obviously your reading comprehension sucks because I did not blame the refs in the Smithville lose. I simply stated that they were terrible. Thanks, and gig emWas that a smithville lose or a loss?? gig em?? that explains alot.

Coach BS
11-01-2011, 04:48 PM
LaGrange watch out, tell the boys to keep your head on a swivel them Tigers will take cheap shots. Leps need to stay healthy for the playoffs

gameface
11-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Provided that LG plays like they are capable, then I highly disagree with buff4ever-no struggle to win game. If we are flat like against Buffs(down 21-0 yielded mostly on big breaking special team plays) in first Q, then I think LG validated they have afterburners to close any gap in score. I hope the SV kiddo is healthy enough to provide an excellent cat fight at Barry Field. I am confident that the Zebra's will call a fair game to minimize cheap shots you eluded to above. Looking forward to a great match between two great ball clubs. LG by 21. Vinclarik and associates have GAMEFACE on!!

hookandladder
11-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Provided that LG plays like they are capable, then I highly disagree with buff4ever-no struggle to win game. If we are flat like against Buffs(down 21-0 yielded mostly on big breaking special team plays) in first Q, then I think LG validated they have afterburners to close any gap in score. I hope the SV kiddo is healthy enough to provide an excellent cat fight at Barry Field. I am confident that the Zebra's will call a fair game to minimize cheap shots you eluded to above. Looking forward to a great match between two great ball clubs. LG by 21. Vinclarik and associates have GAMEFACE on!!

Gameface, it is Vinklarek. Close but no cigar.

Buff42
11-01-2011, 10:51 PM
LaGrange watch out, tell the boys to keep your head on a swivel them Tigers will take cheap shots. Leps need to stay healthy for the playoffs

By FAR the worst cheap shot artist I have seen so far this year is LG #75. Not even a close second. He should have been ejected from the Giddings game more than once.

Manso/V8
11-01-2011, 11:33 PM

What kind of cheap shots did you see Sville taking?

HEMOTOXIC
11-02-2011, 06:11 AM
What kind of cheap shots did you see Sville taking?

I saw many cheap shots in the Navasota game.

gameface
11-02-2011, 06:42 AM
By FAR the worst cheap shot artist I have seen so far this year is LG #75. Not even a close second. He should have been ejected from the Giddings game more than once.
TURN OFF THE LIGHTS AND GO NIGHT, NIGHT! OBVIOUSLY YOU NEED SOME SLEEP OR AN OPTICAL EXAMINATION. LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND YOU WILL SEE THE CHEAP SHOT SPECIALIST! LG #75 can bring it but not in the way your suggesting. Good luck Friday night versus Navasota-you'll need it!!

Coach BS
11-02-2011, 08:11 AM
What kind of cheap shots did you see Sville taking?I have watched sville twice this year, early on I was excited for their success and everything they went through so i went to see them . I lost all respect after i saw how dirty they play IMO. My prediction is sville will have at least 5 personal fouls but no ejections since it is in sville.

Buff42
11-02-2011, 09:50 AM
TURN OFF THE LIGHTS AND GO NIGHT, NIGHT! OBVIOUSLY YOU NEED SOME SLEEP OR AN OPTICAL EXAMINATION. LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND YOU WILL SEE THE CHEAP SHOT SPECIALIST! LG #75 can bring it but not in the way your suggesting. Good luck Friday night versus Navasota-you'll need it!!

No need to look in my mirror- it's been many years since I strapped on pads.

You need to go back and watch film of 75 in the Giddings game. Watch at the end of plays for punches thrown and piling on. He is a very good player and dominated on both sides fo the ball- which makes the cheap shots all the worse in my opinion. He's good enough not to need to do that. It speaks to discipline (or lack thereof).

I know, I know- Giddings has had more than it's share of bad play in recent years. Our new coach has cracked down on that this year and the very few personal foul calls we have gotten proves it. If you play good hard clean football until the whistle, everybody respects you- if you play dirty after the whistle, nobody respects you. Just saying.

gameface
11-02-2011, 12:48 PM
First you claim #75 is the worst cheap shot artist and then accuse him with throwing punches and piling on defining his lack of discipline. Furthermore, request to validate such accusations by viewing film from the LG vs. Giddings game. I'm not sure I have the energy to verify your claims, however, LG has always prided themselves with significant sportmanship and discipline on and off the field. I'm not living under a rock but find your statements hard to believe! I will investigate through the adult leadership hierachy of our team and let you know my response ASAP. I'm allowed to be wrong and so are you. Leps are ready to play integrity ball as always and have GAMEFACES on!!

Buff42
11-02-2011, 01:36 PM
GF- you're right. Either one of us can be wrong. I'm wrong all the time according to my wife, but I'm not wrong about what I saw in the Giddings-LG game. All I'm doing is reporting what I saw with my own two eyes and expressing my opinion on it. Last time I checked, we're both allowed to do that too.

LG as a whole, played good, hard nosed football and had good quality athletes. I only saw the one player behaving in this manner and I believe what you say about sportmanship and discipline as a group. But the fact remains that I saw this particular player doing it and I saw it on more than one play. A better officiating crew would have penalized and/or ejected him. (For the record, Giddings had a kid a few years ago who was big (huge at 6-3,320#), strong, and fast and absolutely dominated his position, but he couldn't keep from starting fights. It cost him a free ride education at a very good college too. Giddings seems to be playing a cleaner brand of football these days, but we all know about the problems we've had in this area in the past- so it's not just LG that experiences this, okay?).

Verify it or not- makes no difference to me. I don't have a dog in the fight between LG and Sville- y'all can beat the crap out of each other all you want. We'll still be playing football when one or the other of you is playing basketball- that's a fact. So, to return what you said earlier- good luck Friday night against Sville- you're going to need it.:stirpot:

HEMOTOXIC
11-02-2011, 02:18 PM
http://bastropadvertiser.com/2011/11/02/football-tigers-to-play-for-all-the-marbles/

Football: Tigers to play for all the marbles
Wednesday, November 2, 2011 | Michael Adams
SMITHVILLE — It comes down to one game.

Friday’s regular season finale between Smithville and La Grange at Barry Field in Smithville will have all the makings of a playoff game.

If the Tigers (7-1, 3-1 District 23-3A) win, Smithville will break a 13-year playoff drought.

If Smithville loses, the Tigers will need Navasota to defeat Giddings and La Grange to win by less than four to make the playoffs.

“It all comes down to this one,” said Smithville head coach Justin Wiley. “When realignment came out a couple of years ago, we all said that if Smithville was going to make the playoffs, it would come down to the La Grange-Smithville game. And here we are.”

Smithville missed an opportunity to clinch the playoffs last week in a 47-18 loss to Navasota, which clinched at least a share of the district title with the win.

The Tigers, however, still have an outside chance at forcing a three-way tie for the district title.

Smithville needs to defeat La Grange and hope Giddings beats Navasota.

Still, Wiley said the Tigers are only focused on the task at hand.

“You really don’t need much extra motivation for these kids,” he said. “La Grange always gets fired up to play Giddings every year and our kids get up for La Grange.”

Smithville struggled with turnovers in the first half against Navasota, which allowed the Rattlers to take a 28-0 lead at halftime.

Smithville was held scoreless through three quarters until Kegan Bledsoe finally found the endzone.

By then, Navasota had built a 40-0 lead.

“You can’t have four turnovers and win a ball game,” Wiley said. “We have played great football for 7 1/2 games. We played bad the first half and didn’t execture. Then we spent the rest of the game trying to catch up.”

Smithville might get junior running back Gray Morris back this week after Morris missed last week due to a concussion.

New UIL rules force teams to sit any player for the next game if he/she has signs of a concussion.

Wiley said Morris’ status is questionable for Friday’s game with La Grange.

Morris played a big part in Smithville’s 24-21 win over Giddings two weeks ago.

He had a 98-yard kickoff return for a touchdown and 58 yards on four carries and a second touchdown to lead the Tigers.

But this is La Grange, where anything is possible.

In 2008, Smithville defeated La Grange 38-0 for the Tigers’ first win over the Leopards since 1998, which also happens to be the also year Smithville made the playoffs.

As a matter of fact, Smithville was in the same situation that year and needed a win over the Leopards to make the playoffs. Smithville won 27-13.

La Grange has won each of the last two meetings, including a close one in 2009 when the Leopards sneaked out of Barry Field with a 45-42 win. A year ago, La Grange defeated Smithville 45-6.

This year’s La Grange squad is a bit of an enigma.

The Leopards (3-6, 2-2) started the season 1-4 and with an average margin of defeat of 22.4 points.

Since district play has begun, La Grange has lost by three points to Giddings and took Navasota into overtime, where the Leopards lost by one point.

In the last two games, La Grange has defeated Rockdale and Caldwell with a 20-point margin of victory.

With this being La Grange, Wiley said he expects a bigger crowd and much bigger atmosphere than the Tigers’ game against Giddings, which plays into the hands of Smithville.

“It’s going to be a great atmosphere,” Wiley said. “The crowd will be huge.”

Kickoff for Friday’s game is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.

lgfandad
11-02-2011, 05:24 PM

You need to go back and watch film of 75 in the Giddings game. Watch at the end of plays for punches thrown and piling on. He is a very good player and dominated on both sides fo the ball- which makes the cheap shots all the worse in my opinion. He's good enough not to need to do that. It speaks to discipline (or lack thereof).

I know, I know- Giddings has had more than it's share of bad play in recent years. Our new coach has cracked down on that this year and the very few personal foul calls we have gotten proves it. If you play good hard clean football until the whistle, everybody respects you- if you play dirty after the whistle, nobody respects you. Just saying.

Mr. Buff 42 , you should stop talking smack about my son.... I think your pissed off because he kept the kid he was blocking from making any plays, And yes He can bring it on both sides of the line.. Thanks Gameface for your support. Oh Buff 42 send me your mailing address and YOU CAN REIMBURSE ME FOR LAST YEARS MEDICAL BILLS FROM THE GIDDINGS LG GAME.... Do you really want to talk about CHEAP SHOTS!!! i CAN AND WILL WATCH THE GAME AGAIN ON HUDl...

EHSgrad89
11-02-2011, 06:33 PM
This will be a very exciting game for both sides of the field. Rivalry contest based on the locale and recent history (minus last year's contest). Smithville, regardless of schedule, has come together this year and are playing some decent football. I hear about cheap shots and all other comments. Honestly, I am not a fan of cheap shots, but I did see a team that is willing to step up there play and actually play some "hardnose in your face" kind of football. I have attended many of the Tigers contests this year and was impressed that they wanted to make plays. They will have to play a hard game this week against the Leopards. La Grange is simply La Grange. They always find a way to compete no matter who is on their roster. They have a good bunch of kids. They are a very versatile group. The D of Smithville cannot give Vinklarek time in pocket or to scramble. Their O-line is huge and like to dig in the trenches. As for their D, I think that if their kinfolk had the ball they would swarm to them and give them a licking or two. I respect both programs and wish for an exciting contest. With all that said, I am pulling for the Tigers. I would like for them to experience the playoffs, and start building on the successes of this year. Best of luck to both group of Cats.

hookandladder
11-02-2011, 08:28 PM

What a class act for someone to come on a message board and call a player out, one can only think it was your son or friend that was on his back looking up at #75 after getting pancaked. Also can anyone imagine Giddings talking about cheap shots, can this really be true. Unbelieveable.

gameface
11-03-2011, 06:41 AM
En la boca cerada, no entran moscas--In a closed mouth, flys don't enter. You may wanna focus on high venom level at plastic pasture versus our D1 LG #75 kiddo. Back to invasion of Barry Field. Leps are healthy, leps are strong, this game is important. Football weather in the air-Leps have GAMEFACE on I declare. LG by 21.

1st and goal
11-03-2011, 09:28 AM
What a class act for someone to come on a message board and call a player out, one can only think it was your son or friend that was on his back looking up at #75 after getting pancaked. Also can anyone imagine Giddings talking about cheap shots, can this really be true. Unbelieveable.

Cheap shots are cheap shots. There's no room in the game for them. I think they ALL ought to be called out, and after film review, suspensions. Regardless of who it is or what team they are on. I need to go back and review my game film.

hookandladder
11-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Cheap shots are cheap shots. There's no room in the game for them. I think they ALL ought to be called out, and after film review, suspensions. Regardless of who it is or what team they are on. I need to go back and review my game film.

It is just kinda funny that Giddings would call someone out for cheap shots, I am almost positive also after our game with you guys both teams and all coaches met at midfield for a team prayer. That was a class act by both schools, did not look like 2 teams giving each other cheap shots. Sometimes things are not what you see, there are always two sides of the story.

Manso/V8
11-03-2011, 10:18 AM
What the passing and rushing stats for Smithville and La Grange in district play?

hookandladder
11-03-2011, 10:52 AM
What the passing and rushing stats for Smithville and La Grange in district play?

Do not have exact numbers however La Grange is averaging about the same rushing and receiving for each game, passing between 150 -200 and rushing 150-200. Smithville seems to be more of a rushing team, from what I have been seeing in the paper their passing is between 50 to 100, not sure on rushing yards.

Bull's-eye
11-03-2011, 11:24 AM
Do not have exact numbers however La Grange is averaging about the same rushing and receiving for each game, passing between 150 -200 and rushing 150-200. Smithville seems to be more of a rushing team, from what I have been seeing in the paper their passing is between 50 to 100, not sure on rushing yards.

According to the THSCA Pressbox, LG is averaging 341 total yards for district play, 145 yds rushing & 196 yds passing. They don't have all the Smithville stats

VS Giddings- 52 yds rushing, 258 yds passing
VS Navasota- 176 yds rushing, 161 yds passing
VS Rockdale- 129 yds rushing, 191 yds passing
VS Caldwell- 223 yds rushing, 174 yds passing

hookandladder
11-03-2011, 12:00 PM
According to the THSCA Pressbox, LG is averaging 341 total yards for district play, 145 yds rushing & 196 yds passing. They don't have all the Smithville stats

VS Giddings- 52 yds rushing, 258 yds passing
VS Navasota- 176 yds rushing, 161 yds passing
VS Rockdale- 129 yds rushing, 191 yds passing
VS Caldwell- 223 yds rushing, 174 yds passing

Thanks Bull's-eye, I thought I was somewhere in the ballpark.

Pudlugger
11-03-2011, 03:32 PM

I have been down on my boat in the marina in West Galveston Bay for a couple of days and the old computer on board managed to get a wi-fi hookup but it has a broken keyboard so I had to wait until now to respond to this outrageous comment and subsequent allegations. I watched that game very closely from the 50 yard line near the top of the bleachers. I had a great view and did not see anything unusual regarding cheap shots. I did see some pushing between a Giddings player and #75 after a play and from my viewpoint it looked like #75 pushed back in retaliation. There was not much to it and no flags were thrown. It was just a couple of players giving each other an extra shove or two.

I really am surprised that you would come on this board and out of the blue make the kinds of damaging and hurtful remarks against a good kid like #75. I know this family and they are very respectable, kind and courteous folks and do not deserve this kind of attack against their talented son. Buff42 you owe them and the entire LG community an apology. I'm waiting...:mad:

gameface
11-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Ditto to that Pud! LG ready to bring it!! GAMEFACE ON!

Buff42
11-04-2011, 07:44 AM
I shouldn't have singled any one athlete out. That was wrong of me to do and I apologize for it.

We're done here.

Pudlugger
11-04-2011, 07:56 AM
I shouldn't have singled any one athlete out. That was wrong of me to do and I apologize for it.

We're done here.

Apology accepted. Good luck tonight.

1st and goal
11-04-2011, 08:11 AM
Good luck to both teams, hope you all have an injury free game.

lgfandad
11-04-2011, 08:59 AM

We're done here.

All is good Buff 42, Good Luck Tonight !!

duckhunter
11-04-2011, 09:51 AM
too much loving on this thread now. Smithville is overrated, and La Grange Sucks

hookandladder
11-04-2011, 10:31 AM
too much loving on this thread now. Smithville is overrated, and La Grange Sucks

And you have wet feet, also duckhunter Sucks.

hookandladder
11-04-2011, 12:13 PM
I know emotions were high last week in Navasota and Smithville's game , I talked to a friend of mine that Refereed the game and he said of his 20 years referring he has never seen a game with as many fights and questionable hit's. Said he ejected one player from Smithville and more should have been from both teams, I am looking for a hard fought game tonight as well however I hope to see sportsmanship from both teams and coaches. Should be an all out war tonight, lets all hope for an injury free game for all. Said it from day 1 our season would come down to the last game of the year, Game On.

Pudlugger
11-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Hook I am with you 100%. Let's have a clean hard fought game with no injuries. May the best team win. That being said, Go Leps Beat Smithville and go to the play offs a winner. Leps by +17

1st and goal
11-04-2011, 04:12 PM
I know emotions were high last week in Navasota and Smithville's game , I talked to a friend of mine that Refereed the game and he said of his 20 years referring he has never seen a game with as many fights and questionable hit's. Said he ejected one player from Smithville and more should have been from both teams, I am looking for a hard fought game tonight as well however I hope to see sportsmanship from both teams and coaches. Should be an all out war tonight, lets all hope for an injury free game for all. Said it from day 1 our season would come down to the last game of the year, Game On.

So....could Smithville be the new bully on the block? I think Go Blue mentioned some crap with them from back when he played them.

On a totally new subject, their #55 is a heck of an athlete on the defense. You'll see what I mean in a few hours.

hollywood
11-04-2011, 04:26 PM
MIA alert!

Where the heck is jrhernandez7? We haven't heard one peep from him on this thread. Has he gone into hiding after last weeks reality check?

Anyone?

Pudlugger
11-04-2011, 06:06 PM
MIA alert!

Where the heck is jrhernandez7? We haven't heard one peep from him on this thread. Has he gone into hiding after last weeks reality check?

Anyone?

He's been kind of quit this week. Well it's almost game time so off to Smithville. Go Leps, Beat Smithville!

jrhernandez7
11-04-2011, 10:12 PM
MIA alert!

Anyone?
lol I been on break!!! we lost 13-12 in ot but made the playoffs! !!! how that for reality lol!!!! break out the basketballs leps! !!!!!!! :)

Buff42
11-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Congrats Tigers. You earned the playoff spot in spite of the loss. Good luck, represent the district well. Maybe we'll get another shot at y'all.

Hey LG: THUMP THUMP

Saggy Aggie
11-04-2011, 10:32 PM
Wait.... LG WON and still doesn't make the playoffs?

I thought if lg won, but by less than 4 points then giddings stayed home?

gtownfan
11-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Wait.... LG WON and still doesn't make the playoffs?

I thought if lg won, but by less than 4 points then giddings stayed home?

Going into the game, Tigers were +3, Buffs were 0 and Leps were -3. After tonight, it ended up Tigers +2, Buffs 0 and Leps -2.

Can't get much closer than that!

Good luck Tigers!!!

gameface
11-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Proud of the LG crew!We won but we lost is the best way to describe it. Yielded the win 13-12 to support a 4-6 season but 3 points shy of playoff experience. Lots of intensity on the field-just had to be at Barry Field to witness the midfield brawl,etc--water under the bridge! Congrat's to Tigers-very physical football team. Columbus gets to face Tigers again this season and try to change the 7 point differential from preseason. Giddings vs. Bellville--well, should we say Thump, Thump for G-town, yes with full certainty. The pasture of pain will be where ever the Brahmas want to graze-heard it's A & M Consolidated Field next Friday. In conclusion, way to fight for it mighty leps-all of you are winners in my mind and heart! PS-Buff42, apology accepted.

Pudlugger
11-04-2011, 10:53 PM
This was a very hard fought game with tempers flaring on both sides. The Leps managed the win in a defensive battle in overtime but fell short of the 4 point spread for a playoff berth. Congratulations to the Leps you guys showed great heart and I am confident that you will have a great season next year with 17 returning starters and 24 letterman.

As for Smithville, the brawl yall started in the fourth quarter was real classey. Yall can go to the play offs but yall can kiss my grits while you're at it. In the 17 years I have followed Lep football yall displayed the most low down dirty playing ever. Normally I would be on board the Tiger band wagon to back our district but now I hope Columbus donkey stomps a mud hole on yall especially that showboat #25.

hookandladder
11-04-2011, 11:56 PM
Congrats Tigers. You earned the playoff spot in spite of the loss. Good luck, represent the district well. Maybe we'll get another shot at y'all.

Hey LG: THUMP THUMP

Yes we will thump thump until we get to get you in baseball, your playoffs will be short lived again. Thump Thump.

hookandladder
11-05-2011, 12:01 AM
lol I been on break!!! we lost 13-12 in ot but made the playoffs! !!! how that for reality lol!!!! break out the basketballs leps! !!!!!!! :)r

You still are losers to La Grange, you still got an L tonight JR.

jrhernandez7
11-05-2011, 12:09 AM
r

You still are losers to La Grange, you still got an L tonight JR.

good luck in basketball leps.... :)

HEMOTOXIC
11-05-2011, 12:37 AM
I was told by some of the Navasota players that Smithville was the dirtiest team that they have ever played. Such acts, but not limited to, grabbing and pulling on crotches, pinching, etc....

It's a trend for Smithville. I can't recall Navasota ever getting into such a big brawl like what happened against Smthville. Then, it happens again in the Smithville v La Grange game.

duckhunter
11-05-2011, 12:37 AM
This was a very hard fought game with tempers flaring on both sides. The Leps managed the win in a defensive battle in overtime but fell short of the 4 point spread for a playoff berth. Congratulations to the Leps you guys showed great heart and I am confident that you will have a great season next year with 17 returning starters and 24 letterman.

As for Smithville, the brawl yall started in the fourth quarter was real classey. Yall can go to the play offs but yall can kiss my grits while you're at it. In the 17 years I have followed Lep football yall displayed the most low down dirty playing ever. Normally I would be on board the Tiger band wagon to back our district but now I hope Columbus donkey stomps a mud hole on yall especially that showboat #25.

a grown adult saying she hopes that a high school student gets donkey stomped???? :clap:

thats not very classy either
you stay classy San Diego.

duckhunter
11-05-2011, 12:41 AM
regardless of whatever happened in Smithville tonight, congrats from Duckhunter. I will drink a beer for ya'll this weekend while I sit in the deer stand

navscanmaster
11-05-2011, 02:39 AM
I was told by some of the Navasota players that Smithville was the dirtiest team that they have ever played. Such acts, but not limited to, grabbing and pulling on crotches, pinching, etc....

It's a trend for Smithville. I can't recall Navasota ever getting into such a big brawl like what happened against Smthville. Then, it happens again in the Smithville v La Grange game.

Its called Honey Badger syndrome. Every high school player wants that Tyrann Mathieu swagga!

Pudlugger
11-05-2011, 06:45 AM
a grown adult saying she hopes that a high school student gets donkey stomped???? :clap:

thats not very classy either
you stay classy San Diego.

I didn't mean it in that way, just that I hope that Smithville loses to Columbus big as in a donkey stomp. If you had been there you would understand what I mean about the taunting and other crap #25 and some of the others were doing. They had to bring out the police to get Smithville's players off our guys and off the field. So please don't judge me when you don't know the facts of the matter. Good luck hunting ducks. Keep your boots on.

Pudlugger
11-05-2011, 06:48 AM
Its called Honey Badger syndrome.

LOL Honey badger don't give a ...
:clap::crazy:

1st and goal
11-05-2011, 07:06 AM
Maybe Smittyville is the new bully on the block.

Pudlugger
11-05-2011, 07:18 AM
Maybe Smittyville is the new bully on the block.

Maybe so. However, that sort of play never results in championships. In the game last night it only served to fire up our team and take the game to a higher level. After the melee in the middle of the forth our defense held SV despite a dubious roughing the kicker penalty giving them new hope in their last possession in regulation time and in OT we scored first then stopped SV's 2 point attempt short. Tough to win the game and not advance but we had our chances in district play losing close ones to Giddings and Navasota. SV has had a long reputation for playing dirty. I know they did several years back when my son was playing. Punching and crabbing in the piles stepping on ankles etc. I realize that it has been a tough run for the Tigers the past 13 years but they need to clean it up and act like they've been there before.

hookandladder
11-05-2011, 07:51 AM
Maybe so. However, that sort of play never results in championships. In the game last night it only served to fire up our team and take the game to a higher level. After the melee in the middle of the forth our defense held SV despite a dubious roughing the kicker penalty giving them new hope in their last possession in regulation time and in OT we scored first then stopped SV's 2 point attempt short. Tough to win the game and not advance but we had our chances in district play losing close ones to Giddings and Navasota. SV has had a long reputation for playing dirty. I know they did several years back when my son was playing. Punching and crabbing in the piles stepping on ankles etc. I realize that it has been a tough run for the Tigers the past 13 years but they need to clean it up and act like they've been there before.

Some things never change and I will bet it will never change there, it is just part of their culture and I know personally. They do have some hard nose playing kids, I look forward to them coming to our place next year with some of the same possiblities on the line. We beat them on their home field and look forward another victory next year with them and no points needed to advance.

jrhernandez7
11-05-2011, 08:05 AM
this thread should be changed to " LG invades the free throw line" bc that's what the leps are practicing Monday :) if LG can't take a little pushing an shoving in a rivalry game then basketball is yalls sport lol

Pudlugger
11-05-2011, 08:06 AM
Some things never change and I will bet it will never change there, it is just part of their culture and I know personally. They do have some hard nose playing kids, I look forward to them coming to our place next year with some of the same possiblities on the line. We beat them on their home field and look forward another victory next year with them and no points needed to advance.

I am now very excited about next year for the Leps. I see a strong core of talent returning and many sophomores moving up to playing big rolls in the 2012 Leps. I am curious as to the UIL realignment this year with all the changes hinted about regarding a new Houston district and 4a schools dropping down. Normally we would expect to go to Region IV in a district with Bellville, Columbus, Giddings, Caldwell and Smithville. We'll have to wait until February to find out how it goes. One way or the other 2012 should be another big year for Lep football with all the talent coming back. The kids played hard nosed football last night and should be proud of themselves for getting the win.

Pudlugger
11-05-2011, 08:09 AM
this thread should be changed to " LG invades the free throw line" bc that's what the leps are practicing Monday :) if LG can't take a little pushing an shoving in a rivalry game then basketball is yalls sport lol

Ha ha, Smithville loses the game against the Leps and crows about sneaking into the playoffs like they are some big powerhouse all of a sudden. What a joke. The better team will stay home but yall go ahead and keep bragging about how great the Tigers are.

jrhernandez7
11-05-2011, 08:20 AM
Ha ha, Smithville loses the game against the Leps and crows about sneaking into the playoffs like they are some big powerhouse all of a sudden. What a joke. The better team will stay home but yall go ahead and keep bragging about how great the Tigers are.

blah blah blah, still haven't decided if I should get my playoff shirt in a large or extra large yet..... you may have won the battle by 1pt in OT but we won the district 23 war!

hookandladder
11-05-2011, 09:15 AM
blah blah blah, still haven't decided if I should get my playoff shirt in a large or extra large yet..... you may have won the battle by 1pt in OT but we won the district 23 war!

Congrats JR., true colors come out when you do something you have not done in a long while and then all you want to do is brag about it. Maybe you will learn what it is like to be a real fan of the game however I doubt that will ever happen, you lost but you won. Bottom line you just got beat again by La Grange on your home turf, I do think Smithville can beat Columbus next week however if the fights continue or a little pushing as you called it will cost you a game. Three personal fouls on one play by the same team, now that is classic. You will not earn any respect in that type of playing but it is what it is. Typical Smithville.

Old Tiger
11-05-2011, 09:19 AM
So....could Smithville be the new bully on the block? I think Go Blue mentioned some crap with them from back when he played them.

On a totally new subject, their #55 is a heck of an athlete on the defense. You'll see what I mean in a few hours.Yes in my experiences Smithville had always played dirty due to lack of success and coaching they have had. Seems like the coaching has helped Smithville on the field but not mentally and they still have a losers mentality as it comes to playing dirty. When you have success there is no need to be a dirty team. Actually there is never any reason to be a dirty team.

87 TIGER
11-05-2011, 09:27 AM
Funny Smithville you lost!! I tried to tell you guys they play dirty. Talk all you want but LaGrange beat yall at home. enjoy this for the next week or two but smithville is a perrinial 0-10 1-9 team they will be back to that soon. They might even win a few next year I dont know . But trust me they are no powerhouse, they have 1 winning season since like 1996 or 98 whatever thats like 15 years. LaGrange been there many times and it shows classy. smithville just smithville IMO the best team will sit at home , The Leopards won the game and IMO are clearly better. Oh yeah and LaGrange knows how to tailgate!

zebrablue2
11-05-2011, 09:27 AM
Yes in my experiences Smithville had always played dirty due to lack of success and coaching they have had. Seems like the coaching has helped Smithville on the field but not mentally and they still have a losers mentality as it comes to playing dirty. When you have success there is no need to be a dirty team. Actually there is never any reason to be a dirty team.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

87 TIGER
11-05-2011, 09:28 AM
blah blah blah, still haven't decided if I should get my playoff shirt in a large or extra large yet..... you may have won the battle by 1pt in OT but we won the district 23 war!sounds like you need a 3X with all that bull. Be sure to get one there hasent been one of those printed in years should turn into a collector item

Bull's-eye
11-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Why is nobody talking about why Smithville went for two? In most cases, they would of kicked the extra point & took their chances in the next OT. I don't know if they ran or attemted a pass, but I'm sure they didn't want LG to intercept & go the other way for 2 points. That would of made the score 15-12 LG & possibly knocking the Tigers out of the playoffs. Some people wonder why Smithville just didn't take a knee? If Smithville would of scored first, I'm very sure they would of kicked the extra point. LG would of done everything to keep the game tied & keep their chances of winning by 4 alive.

LG did win this game, but you have to put an asterisk next to the score. Making the playoffs was more important than actually winning the game. Smithville did exactly what any other team would do. Yes, LG can say they won the game, but it's the Tigers that are going to the playoffs. Too bad this game wasn't played under normal circumstances & decided by winning, not by points.

Manso/V8
11-05-2011, 11:54 AM
I am now very excited about next year for the Leps. I see a strong core of talent returning and many sophomores moving up to playing big rolls in the 2012 Leps. I am curious as to the UIL realignment this year with all the changes hinted about regarding a new Houston district and 4a schools dropping down. Normally we would expect to go to Region IV in a district with Bellville, Columbus, Giddings, Caldwell and Smithville. We'll have to wait until February to find out how it goes. One way or the other 2012 should be another big year for Lep football with all the talent coming back. The kids played hard nosed football last night and should be proud of themselves for getting the win.

Congratulations on the win, too bad it wasn't enough to make the big show. It has been fun following the District 24 playoff race.
It was impressive how La Grange turned things around after a sluggish pre-district. A Bellville-La Grange(born again) rematch would have been interesting. With number of starters you have coming back, I'm sure the Leps will be a major force next year.

Manso/V8
11-05-2011, 12:03 PM
lol I been on break!!! we lost 13-12 in ot but made the playoffs! !!! how that for reality lol!!!! break out the basketballs leps! !!!!!!! :)

Jrhernandez7, congrats to the Tigers for making the playoffs after such a long absence. You need to recruit some other Smithville fans to 3adownlow so you don't get ganged up on so bad! I haven't seen any of your games this year, but something must be going on if there are bench clearing brawls going in your games. If Smithville is playing dirty, that is not going to carry them too far in the playoffs.....get them to fly right!

Pudlugger
11-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Why is nobody talking about why Smithville went for two? In most cases, they would of kicked the extra point & took their chances in the next OT. I don't know if they ran or attemted a pass, but I'm sure they didn't want LG to intercept & go the other way for 2 points. That would of made the score 15-12 LG & possibly knocking the Tigers out of the playoffs. Some people wonder why Smithville just didn't take a knee? If Smithville would of scored first, I'm very sure they would of kicked the extra point. LG would of done everything to keep the game tied & keep their chances of winning by 4 alive.

LG did win this game, but you have to put an asterisk next to the score. Making the playoffs was more important than actually winning the game. Smithville did exactly what any other team would do. Yes, LG can say they won the game, but it's the Tigers that are going to the playoffs. Too bad this game wasn't played under normal circumstances & decided by winning, not by points.

The Tigers only score in the regulation was a pick 6 in the first 6 minutes of the game. They went for 2 then and failed. I wonder if they don't have a good kicker. As for going for 2 in OT for the win rather than taking a PAT and another OT? Well our coach made the same decision against Navasota and we lost the game by a point. In the end that was enough to keep us home during the playoffs. [My son who played for the Leps and some college ball says it was the right decision to go for the win but I'm not convinced.] If we had made it then everyone would agree it was a great call I guess. It boils down to how much confidence you have for your running game, kicker and defense. As for the asterisk, i think a win is a win. Tie breaker winners, whether a coin flip or by points, deserve the asterisk imo. I imagine the SV coaches knew the Navasota final score at that point and just went for the whole enchilada with the playoff berth clinched.

The drive by SV to score in OT came after the Leps scored 7 first. They couldn't move the ball up the middle on us but did see an opportunity to run wide and managed to grind out the yards in 6 plays. The td came from 4 yards out off the left side with some good blocking. That clinched the playoffs for them. I don't think our players on the field realized what happened until after the game as they were celebrating the win when the announcer gave the Navasota score. We knew it in the stands and were pretty upset but that's football. Plenty of good defense from both squads last night. The Leps had many opportunities to gain the playoffs but it wasn't to be. Bellville and Giddings will be a classic match up. Maybe I'll try to make that game. Smithville should beat Columbus unless the Cardinals have really stepped it up. I hope there are no brawls in that game. Good luck.

duckhunter
11-05-2011, 03:07 PM
remember when everyone used to say how my Giddings buffs were classless and dirty players? I do....seems like whenever something doesn't go La Grange's way it's always someone else's fault and all you do is insult teams/players/coaches/etc and make excuses.....take a look at the stats and you will realize this game was basically dead even. Please pud dont type a bible's worth of explanations.

I think the big point in all of this Smithville talk is that these other teams cant swallow their pride and accept Smithville as a smashmouth football team that will knowck other teams in their mouth. This team is obviously not playing like the old Smithville teams and rolling over to their rivals. I'm thinking some of these questionable hits might just be another way for the Tigers of telling teams that they aren't going to fold and play soft like the teams of old. Personal fouls come with the territory sometimes. Ask the old Miami teams. All of this can be bent in tons of directions but the fact of the matter is Giddings, Smithville, and Navasota are playing this coming week.

Good luck this week against Columbus...

Good luck in basketball Leps. Maybe if you could've beaten us, or the Rattlers you'd still be playing.

EHSgrad89
11-05-2011, 04:10 PM
The defenses for both teams really stepped it up for this game. I am glad that I had the opportunity to see this game because it was one for the ages (especially the Tigers). Of course one hates to see a team (LG) finish on a strong run and have to stay at home. I don't know how many LG will graduate this year, but I believe that this team will have many successful year to come. I guess when it comes to the choice of 1 point or 2 points, it is simply six one way, half a dozen the other. My opinion would be maybe in the LG/Navasota game the coach felt he had the momentum and right play to win the game. I don't care to be the Monday Morning Quarterback or Uncle Rico and who knows if I were a head coach I might have done the same thing so I will simply say "anything could happen in the game of football." As for the Tigers, IMO even though they didn't put up the offensive points I feel that they are capable of, they are improving on both sides of the ball. They have become a very aggressive football team. Yes there was a brawl and people can blame whomever they wish; however, I did see a bunch of other kids from SV trying to get their teammates off the field. I will leave it at that. I hope that in the future these programs continue to build on this rivalry. It is great to see close contests. I hate the blowout.

Best of luck to Smithville in your playoff. Stay true to the TEAM and continue to work hard. Kudos on a job well done to the coaching staff. Your hard work and time is paying off.

LG-Continue doing what you do. You have a great staff, group of kids, and fan base. Your community will continue to enjoy success in the future.

gtownfan
11-05-2011, 04:47 PM

They ran a dive for the 2 point conversion. Going for 2 was the play. If they fail, they loose but make the playoffs. If they succeed, they win and make the playoffs. The only way the could have screwed it up was kick the extra point extending the game or fumble having it run back for 2 points. A fumble on a dive play would have been least likely to be run back. For a perennial loosing team, going for 2, the win and a 9-1 record was the best choice, in my opinion.

Imagine the backlash if he would have kicked the extra point and then lost the game by a TD!!!

Pudlugger
11-05-2011, 05:21 PM
[QUOTE=duckhunter;1630632]remember when everyone used to say how my Giddings buffs were classless and dirty players? I do....seems like whenever something doesn't go La Grange's way it's always someone else's fault and all you do is insult teams/players/coaches/etc and make excuses.....take a look at the stats and you will realize this game was basically dead even. /QUOTE]

Actually the leps led by a significant margin in total offence sustaining 3 drives in regulation time to none for SV(their only score was a pick 6 from the 30).

What I think really is eating at Duckhunter is the fact that the best team is not going to the playoffs in DII. Duckhunter is one of those guys who you can't argue with because he invents his own facts and when that wears thin just starts with insults. Next week Bellville will finish off the Buffs and then they too will be playing basketball. Enjoy your week in the spotlight Duckhunter.

duckhunter
11-05-2011, 05:42 PM
[QUOTE=duckhunter;1630632]remember when everyone used to say how my Giddings buffs were classless and dirty players? I do....seems like whenever something doesn't go La Grange's way it's always someone else's fault and all you do is insult teams/players/coaches/etc and make excuses.....take a look at the stats and you will realize this game was basically dead even. /QUOTE]

Actually the leps led by a significant margin in total offence sustaining 3 drives in regulation time to none for SV(their only score was a pick 6 from the 30).

What I think really is eating at Duckhunter is the fact that the best team is not going to the playoffs in DII. .

La Grange the best team? 4-6, 3-2 district record....lose to Giddings, beat Smithville by 1 point...I wouldn't say "best team"...if La grange was the best team they would have won the game against us, and would have beaten Smithville by more than one point. not very convincing to say best team. You dont have much of an argument saying the "best Team"....Seems to me you're lucky to beat Smithville to even be in contention for a playoff spot. FYI once you see the stats from last night game other posters will see that the game was not "led by a significant margin in total offense" on the leps part, you however will not recognize that because you're an idiot. I'm over this conversation. Air up the basketballs and lace up the sneakers. I'm going to drink a beer and pack a jacket in my truck in preperation for a playoff game on Friday....go pick a fight with a high school kid. you seem to enjoy watching teenagers being donkey stomped.

Bull's-eye
11-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Stats from the Austin Statesman:

LG- 9 FD's, 98 rushing yds, 66 passing yds (164 total yds)

SV -11 FD's, 138 rushing yds, 75 passing yds (213 total yds)

Also, Smithville lost 3 fumbles, but LG had 2 passes intercepted.

Bull's-eye
11-05-2011, 08:21 PM
As for going for 2 in OT for the win rather than taking a PAT and another OT? Well our coach made the same decision against Navasota and we lost the game by a point. As for the asterisk, i think a win is a win. Tie breaker winners, whether a coin flip or by points, deserve the asterisk imo. I imagine the SV coaches knew the Navasota final score at that point and just went for the whole enchilada with the playoff berth clinched. What I think really is eating at Duckhunter is the fact that the best team is not going to the playoffs in DI

Pud, I feel for your loss, but this was not the same decision. Smithville could of very well just took a knee & they would be in the playoffs. IMO, they ran a very safe dive play not wanting to risk LG returning their attempt for 2 points. Kicking the extra point would be stupid & give LG a chance to win by 4 points. If Smithville needed a win to make the playoffs, I'm sure their coaching staff would of handled the situation a little different. If this was the case & LG still won, I would have no problem with the better team remark. Once Smithville scored their TD in OT, winning the game didn't really matter. They did attempt the 2 pt conversion, but played it safe under these circumstances.

Manso/V8
11-05-2011, 08:34 PM
..........Uncle Rico........
Uncle Rico LOL, I wish I would have used that as my 3adownlow screen name!

Manso/V8
11-05-2011, 08:40 PM
They ran a dive for the 2 point conversion. Going for 2 was the play. If they fail, they loose but make the playoffs. If they succeed, they win and make the playoffs. The only way the could have screwed it up was kick the extra point extending the game or fumble having it run back for 2 points. A fumble on a dive play would have been least likely to be run back. For a perennial loosing team, going for 2, the win and a 9-1 record was the best choice, in my opinion.

Imagine the backlash if he would have kicked the extra point and then lost the game by a TD!!!

You are correct sir. Smithville made the right choice. I don't know if 2 more points for La Grange would have cost the Tigers the playoff spot or not, but that kind of stuff does happen. Last night Bellville blocked a Stafford extra point attempt, and a Bellville player scooped up the ball and ran the length of the field for a safety and 2 points.

hookandladder
11-05-2011, 10:57 PM
[QUOTE=Pudlugger;1630684]

La Grange the best team? 4-6, 3-2 district record....lose to Giddings, beat Smithville by 1 point...I wouldn't say "best team"...if La grange was the best team they would have won the game against us, and would have beaten Smithville by more than one point. not very convincing to say best team. You dont have much of an argument saying the "best Team"....Seems to me you're lucky to beat Smithville to even be in contention for a playoff spot. FYI once you see the stats from last night game other posters will see that the game was not "led by a significant margin in total offense" on the leps part, you however will not recognize that because you're an idiot. I'm over this conversation. Air up the basketballs and lace up the sneakers. I'm going to drink a beer and pack a jacket in my truck in preperation for a playoff game on Friday....go pick a fight with a high school kid. you seem to enjoy watching teenagers being donkey stomped.

Just be glad you made the playoffs Duckhunter, you coul not handle Navasota at your house. We gave Navasota all they wanted at their house, you guys are lucky to be in the playoffs. And Giddings still Sucks, basketballs will be coming out shortly. Speaking of idiot's all you have to do is look in the mirror, just in case you forgot Smithville did beat you this year. Wow.