PDA

View Full Version : Varsity Coaching Question

Old Tiger
10-28-2011, 10:13 AM
Do you like to put more sophomores on varsity to get them experience for the next year? Or do you just like having a few? Does it depend? Why does it Depend?

kaorder1999
10-28-2011, 10:16 AM
I think if they are going to be heavily relied on the next year as juniors then whatever varsity experience you can get them the better. Its such a big change. Going through the routine of a Varsity week, walk thru on thursday, pregame stuff, etc is something that only experience can show them what its like. Thats why Im a big believer that if you make the playoffs, bring up the entire JV. Get them that experience for at least one week!
But...i think only put a Sophomore up on varsity in the regular season IF they are a big contibuter!

pancho villa
10-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Sophs are on Varsity if they are going to play! If not mudh on JV. Or if they have a hot mom.

Old Tiger
10-28-2011, 10:22 AM
I was thinking with OL/DLWR/RB and some even at LB...

You put them up there and rotate them in....I don't think you can do this with QB or the secondary.

That way you build depth and prepare them better for the future

MGAR
10-28-2011, 10:27 AM
Gilmer has no problem putting 9th and 10th graders on varsity or even starting them...

ExScoop
10-28-2011, 10:36 AM
There are a lot of sophs on Class A and 2A teams since they don't have a lot of depth -They also deal with grades and injuries

MGAR
10-28-2011, 10:38 AM
There are a lot of sophs on Class A and 2A teams since they don't have a lot of depth -They also deal with grades and injuries

That is true, seen it quite a bit this year.

Ernest T Bass
10-28-2011, 10:40 AM
I'd rather the kid play every snap on the JV and get better than mop up duty on the varsity. I'd only move kids up if they're going to play a significant amount of time.

Saggy Aggie
10-28-2011, 10:43 AM
Celina is starting a freshman qb

bigwood33
10-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Or if they have a hot mom.
This "quality" should NEVER be overlooked! :cheerl:

Bearkat
10-28-2011, 11:10 AM
I would prefer to never play a sophomore on the varsity. This would mean that the juniors and seniors are better than
the soph's which in turn would lead to a better team.

Now, in the real world, there are times when the soph's are just as good or better than the upperclassmen. If that is
the case, I would play the younger player.

defense51
10-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Sophs are on Varsity if they are going to play! If not mudh on JV. Or if they have a hot mom.

I could be wrong, but seems like a pattern is developing here pancho...

hookandladder
10-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Not a coach by any means however my son started at QB last year as a sophomore and you can really see the difference in confidence in the huddle and on the field in his junior year, the one year of experience is very valuable.

pancho villa
10-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Not a coach by any means however my son started at QB last year as a sophomore and you can really see the difference in confidence in the huddle and on the field in his junior year, the one year of experience is very valuable.

Does he have a hot Mom?

hollywood
10-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Gilmer has no problem putting 9th and 10th graders on varsity or even starting them...

Neither does Carthage