PDA

View Full Version : Rules question

Saggy Aggie
10-27-2011, 06:38 PM
My little cousin plays for the Alvin freshman team and at their game tonight the referres penalized the Alvin team 15 yards because the fans were harassing the refs over what they thought was bad calls. This penalty was marked off 15 yards from the 18 yd line down to the 3.

First off, is that even a penalty? And 2nd..... Is it not half the distance to the goal if it is a penalty?

TexMike
10-27-2011, 07:32 PM
Hopefully the reason for the penalty was something different as the fans are not subject to the rules so no penalty can be assessed for their conduct.

There are only 2 rules which have penalties that would be different than the 1/2 the distance. One is defensive pass interference. The other is "obviously unfair acts" which are those things that are not covered by rule but which should be penalized. (Fan misconduct does not fit this category)

Saggy Aggie
10-27-2011, 09:50 PM
The referee told the alvin head coach that he was penalizing his team 15 yards for not being able to control his teams' fans.

It was not marked off half the distance. I thought it was complete bs and nearly cost the alvin team the game. good thing it was like 3 seconds left and the last play was an incomplete pass and Alvin still hung on to win.

LH Panther Mom
10-27-2011, 10:01 PM
What chapter? :devil:

TexMike
10-27-2011, 10:01 PM
Strange things happen in subvarsity games. That certainly sounds like one of them

Old Dog
10-27-2011, 10:49 PM
"IF" it is true what the Zebra did, he should be asked to turn in his card. That would be a terrible interpertation of the rules!!!

Glad it did not effect the outcome. Yes, I know, we all err, and he is learning on the job.....hopefully!

OldBison75
10-27-2011, 11:34 PM
Several years ago I saw a similar call made in a JV game when the home team had locals running the chains that had friends walking the sideline with them. The friends were giving the refs hell all night. The refs tried to talk to the coaches to have the "assistant chain men" either be quiet or leave the field. There was no success in that and the refs finally flagged the home bench for unsportsmanlike conduct and told the coach that there would be a similar penalty on every play there was a sound outta the chain gang until the coach shut them up or cleared them out. That finally worked.

Old Tiger
10-27-2011, 11:38 PM
What chapter? :devil:Has to be Waco chapter...maybe even Temple. Eh scratch the Temple chapter...that's just basketball. lol

Yoe_09
10-27-2011, 11:55 PM
The Waco chapter sub-varisty refs are the worst I have seen this year.

ExScoop
10-28-2011, 07:21 AM
Fans should be alble to cheer and yell and scream-Refs should tune the noise of the crowd out and focus on the game

GrTigers6
10-28-2011, 07:31 AM
Fans should be alble to cheer and yell and scream-Refs should tune the noise of the crowd out and focus on the gametrue, but if they are cussing and being disruptive to the game then the school rep should have them tended to by the local police

WildTexan972
10-28-2011, 11:42 AM
this type stuff does happen so no "IF" is needed to question if he was lying....when I went to do football in the FtWorth chapter years ago my first lesson on the field was the referee telling me how he liked football better than baseball (which I had done for 15 years) because football refs can do ANYTHING they like and no one can do anything about it....this guy told a line judge to flag a coach he did not like every time he walked out on the field to yell instructions at his kids....the ref laughed about it later for hassling the coach just for grins...

"IF" it is true what the Zebra did, he should be asked to turn in his card. That would be a terrible interpertation of the rules!!!

Glad it did not effect the outcome. Yes, I know, we all err, and he is learning on the job.....hopefully!

TexMike
10-28-2011, 11:43 AM
If YOU let him get away with that then YOU are part of the problem

TexDoc
10-28-2011, 02:24 PM
In 23 seasons, I can remember twice having to get a fan removed. These were both middle school games with the fans right on top of you. And, I think they were drunk. When they start yelling obscenities and making it personal, time to go. And no, there is no flag. Stop the game. Find the game administrator or police and do not continue until they are removed.

Saggy Aggie
10-28-2011, 05:55 PM
well it was flagged this time.