PDA

View Full Version : Coaches please explain.....

panfan
10-27-2011, 03:16 PM
the type of Politics you face in making decisions on who plays. Interested to hear if you get pressure from parents. Does it affect your decisions? Does age of a player affect your decision (senior vs sophmore, even though sophmore is better). Just curious, that is all.

Phil C
10-27-2011, 04:21 PM
the type of Politics you face in making decisions on who plays. Interested to hear if you get pressure from parents. Does it affect your decisions? Does age of a player affect your decision (senior vs sophmore, even though sophmore is better). Just curious, that is all.

1. Pressure from Parents = Water rolling off a Duck

2. No

3. If sophomore is better he plays but he must play better than the senior not equal

---- Coach Phil C

panfan
10-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Thank you for your reply. Was wondering if anybody would step up and reply. I asked simply because I saw it mentioned in another thread and was curious as to Coach's perspective.

coachc45
10-27-2011, 04:34 PM
Thank you for your reply. Was wondering if anybody would step up and reply. I asked simply because I saw it mentioned in another thread and was curious as to Coach's perspective.

Regretably not every coach is like Phil C. But every coach I've worked for has the exact same philosophy! I know I wouldn't work for one that didn't

Trench Warrior
10-27-2011, 04:37 PM
#1- SAME
#2-SAME
#3- It depends on where the kid will reap the most benefits. Sometimes a sophmore will get more out of playing at a lower level, even if his skill set is the same or slightly better than the older athlete at the varsity level.

Send_the_House
10-27-2011, 05:02 PM
There are coaches on this board?

LH Panther Mom
10-27-2011, 10:02 PM
I'm sure no coach, but any coach who'd play a kid due to "parental pressure" needs to grow a pair, imo. ;)

GrTigers6
10-28-2011, 05:55 AM
I'm sure no coach, but any coach who'd play a kid due to "parental pressure" needs to grow a pair, imo. ;)That depends on how much the "Boosters" pay him.:D

defense51
10-28-2011, 06:02 AM
I'm sure no coach, but any coach who'd play a kid due to "parental pressure" needs to grow a pair, imo. ;) any coach that would do that most likely doesn't have a winning program!

Ernest T Bass
10-28-2011, 06:38 AM
I'm sure no coach, but any coach who'd play a kid due to "parental pressure" needs to grow a pair, imo. ;)

In many cases(I can speak from experience), not giving in to "parental pressure" can cost you your job.

BILLYFRED0000
10-28-2011, 06:42 AM
In many cases(I can speak from experience), not giving in to "parental pressure" can cost you your job.

That would be a yes sir. I have seen it happen.

pancho villa
10-28-2011, 07:38 AM
Best players play at our school! Unless they slip coach Villa a few $100 and I get their kid in a few plays.

jockcity33
10-28-2011, 08:25 AM
I agree with the first two answers, but the third answer I will have to respectfully disagree with just slightly. I would play the soph. MORE than the Sr. if the soph is equal to or better than the sr. My belief is that if the soph is equal to a sr. as a soph. what am I losing as a coach by having the soph on the field this year while also letting him gain valuable varsity playing experience and will still have 2 years to play.

greendawg84
10-28-2011, 08:49 AM
If said parent is in charge of hiring at the school kid plays ! Or as ETB said you wont get a new contract.

pancho villa
10-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Best players play at our school! Unless they slip coach Villa a few $100 and I get their kid in a few plays.

Or they got a hot mom!

BwdLion73
10-28-2011, 10:09 AM
There are coaches on this board?

:clap: Just check back tonight around 7 we all think we are coaches, :wave:

defense51
10-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Or they got a hot mom!

Nice

panfan
10-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Or they got a hot mom!

Can't argue with that logic.

LH Panther Mom
10-29-2011, 07:45 AM
Oh, I know that to be true! What's worse is when said parent is on the school board and "little Johnny" got in trouble & there was punishment involved for violation of team rules. :(

Still...

Leopard4Life
10-29-2011, 08:19 AM
Oh, I know that to be true! What's worse is when said parent is on the school board and "little Johnny" got in trouble & there was punishment involved for violation of team rules. :(

Still...

Ask the Lovejoy Girls coach. It had nothing to do with a violation, but the theory is that it had everything to do with parent issues, especially PT. Everyone played, but little Suzie the Sr. was riding the pine in crunch time. I saw little Suzie play and I agree with the Coaches decision... Nobody knew it would cost her the coaching job. I guess State Runner up isn't good enough.

bp80884
10-29-2011, 01:05 PM
I believe if coaches would be stronger communicators with both kids and parents they would have less issues of these types.

Problems happen when a decision is made that seems to lack logic. The reality is the coach probably has a good reason but does not communicate to the kid and then a parent is left to wonder why.

My son was benched for an entire soccer game last year and I was furious. The coach connected with me a few days later and explained his decision and I was in 100% support of the decision. I gained a tremendous amount of respect for him as did my son.

This seems to be happening on our team this year and we have kids that are considering not playing next year. Too bad because we have a great program and quite a bit of talent for the next few years. We are going to lose players out of frustration

Ernest T Bass
10-29-2011, 01:37 PM
I believe if coaches would be stronger communicators with both kids and parents they would have less issues of these types.

Problems happen when a decision is made that seems to lack logic. The reality is the coach probably has a good reason but does not communicate to the kid and then a parent is left to wonder why.

My son was benched for an entire soccer game last year and I was furious. The coach connected with me a few days later and explained his decision and I was in 100% support of the decision. I gained a tremendous amount of respect for him as did my son.

This seems to be happening on our team this year and we have kids that are considering not playing next year. Too bad because we have a great program and quite a bit of talent for the next few years. We are going to lose players out of frustration

Maybe it's just me, but I fail to see where you're owed an explanation at all.

Additup
10-29-2011, 06:56 PM
If a kid is not playing, THERE IS A REASON. Tell him to impress his boss instead of trying to lobby for him.
A parent wants the best 10 and their kid to play...
As a coach in a TEAM sport, you play the best combination of 11 (may not be the best 11 individuals). The parent that wants to point out they think their kid is better athletically, usually can't and won't figure out he's also lazier, more selfish, or more undependable than the others.

If you were hiring someone or had an opening for a promotion, would you hire someone that listed mommy or daddy as a reference??? Kids get to apply for playing time every Monday.

VWG
10-29-2011, 08:02 PM
Coaches should never have to explain to parents about PT.... never.

If a player has any question about PT, then that conversation needs to be between he or she and the coach/coaching staff.

957tiger
10-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I fail to see where you're owed an explanation at all.

The coach has a meeting every pre-season with the players and the parents. He wants both to buy into his program. There are hand-outs describing goals and schedules that need to be followed. Without the support of the parent, the student-athlete will quickly find themselves without guidence. Many coaches have a mentor style program available to help the kids.

With today's competition at the level it is, many kids have played for 5-6 years in a structured league or school program before reaching the varsity level. Many of those have invested in clinics, camps and private lessons to become better players. Some will never reach their full potential due to whatever reason some fair, some not. I think a parent deserves to have an explanation as to why their child is not contributing on friday night, if for no other reason than to help correct a problem if one really exsist.

Once had a coach who said there are many players who are model prisoners on the field and a floating turd in the parking lot. Many of those turds are the star players and the other players already recognize that the system is not always fair when it comes to playing time. The player who gets crossways with a coach and finds himself on the bench with no other explanation than " I said so" does'nt work either. Think how many good kids never get a chance because the coach simply gave up because it was easy to do so.

lostaussie
10-29-2011, 08:31 PM
In many cases(I can speak from experience), not giving in to "parental pressure" can cost you your job.May cost you a job..................but not your INTEGRITY

mwynn05
10-29-2011, 08:43 PM
We dont discuss playing time... opens up a can of worms... We will discuss what your kid can do to get better what they need to work on etc.... Also have the kid in on all parent meetings

CenTexSports
10-29-2011, 08:49 PM
I had a coach tell me EXACTLY how it is in every school. Parents are mostly RABID fans and they expect to win. To this end, they want the TEN BEST players on the field EVERY down (plus their son).

Ernest T Bass
10-29-2011, 09:10 PM
May cost you a job..................but not your INTEGRITY

Integrity doesn't feed your kids. It's a very strange profession that we're in. Unfortunately, many people on the outside forget that it indeed IS a profession, what we pay our bills and feed our families with, and not just a hobby.

957, Im all for the preseason meeting. However, I don't owe an explanation for, nor will I even discuss, playing time. If you want to know what your kid can do to improve, I'll discuss that with you, but not out of obligation, simply b/c I want all kids to do well. However, playing time is the decision of the coach and the coach alone. Just like play calling, it's all in the game planning; and he doesn't owe anyone outside of the coaches' office an explanation for that.

Ernest T Bass
10-29-2011, 09:10 PM
We dont discuss playing time... opens up a can of worms... We will discuss what your kid can do to get better what they need to work on etc.... Also have the kid in on all parent meetings

Sounds like you're an actual coach, or somethin'.

mwynn05
10-29-2011, 09:11 PM
little league...

Ernest T Bass
10-29-2011, 09:18 PM
little league...

Ha! Quote of the week, following the game last night, started out with;
"Now Coach, I know about football; and not just the Cowboys. I watch these kids play in the backyard..."
SMDH...

mwynn05
10-29-2011, 09:54 PM
I always win the super bowl on madden

Additup
10-29-2011, 11:13 PM
.... have the kid in on all parent meetings always best. Kid knows EXACTLY why he ain't playing and it's always better when the player has to address things honestly in front of mom or dad.

panfan
10-30-2011, 07:26 AM

Still...

My mother tells a story of My Dad's early Coaching career. His approach of playing best 11 on game day did cost him his job at some little east Texas school. The AD supported him (Dad), but little johnny had some indirect connection to Super. My Dad goes on to another school, that played East Texas school. Came back next season. Whipped the old schools but. Poetic justice!

VWG
10-30-2011, 09:42 AM
The player should approach the coach about PT, not the parent. Enough said.

There are several parents that spend money on lessons, private trainers, etc... and they still can't crack the starting lineup. Money down the drain.
Some kids may work hard during practice, etc... but when it comes down to it they can't physically make the plays.
Goes for several sports.

Leopard4Life
10-30-2011, 02:37 PM
The player should approach the coach about PT, not the parent. Enough said.

There are several parents that spend money on lessons, private trainers, etc... and they still can't crack the starting lineup. Money down the drain.
Some kids may work hard during practice, etc... but when it comes down to it they can't physically make the plays.
Goes for several sports.

These are the kids that I feel for. They bust their backs and do their best like they are asked to do, but when push comes to shove they just dont have the talent. The bigger the school the bigger this issue. I'm sure 5A schools have a ton of this.