PDA

View Full Version : Travelling to Newark, NJ

Matthew328
10-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Any suggestions other than not get robbed?

OldNavy
10-25-2011, 07:18 PM
Go somewhere else!

Leopard4Life
10-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Stay out of downtown, especially before or after business hours (9-5). Elizabeth NJ is ok with a few decent places to eat. Head North to Jersey City to duck into Manahattan on the Path. Or take the Path West to Hoboken (great bars and food).

If you head into Manhattan go into the lobby of a nice hotel and pick up a free "Where" magazine. In the middle of the magazine is a great map of the subways and the bus routes. Use the mag maps so you don't look like a lost tourist with a fold out map in the middle of the sidewalk.

Matthew328
10-25-2011, 07:31 PM
I'd rather not go but its a work deal....lol

LionFan72
10-25-2011, 07:39 PM
I'd rather not go but its a work deal....lol

Teleconference, much more enjoyable and you never have to leave your UT jammies!

Matthew328
10-26-2011, 05:59 AM
Live meeting is great and is usually our way around these things but it's a govt compliance deal...they want us there in person....now I'm worried as no one has given me any suggestions yet....lol

LionFan72
10-26-2011, 07:47 AM
Live meeting is great and is usually our way around these things but it's a govt compliance deal...they want us there in person....now I'm worried as no one has given me any suggestions yet....lol

Just as soon have a root canal as travel to New Jersey! All I can say, is good luck, stick to well inhabited establishments, and stay out of the midget bars.

NastySlot
10-26-2011, 08:10 AM

spent almost three hours stuck at Liberty International this past summer.....not counting the 45 mins on the plane...due to weather delay and back ups on the runway.

that is my only experience with Newark.

Old Tiger
10-26-2011, 08:21 AM
Wear one of these
http://www.premierlife.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/tumblr_l3q5hkEOg81qaw2yoo1_400.jpg

upper20
10-26-2011, 10:55 AM

Take someone with you -- know anybody named Guido?

greendawg84
10-26-2011, 01:50 PM
Stay out of downtown, especially before or after business hours (9-5). Elizabeth NJ is ok with a few decent places to eat. Head North to Jersey City to duck into Manahattan on the Path. Or take the Path West to Hoboken (great bars and food).

If you head into Manhattan go into the lobby of a nice hotel and pick up a free "Where" magazine. In the middle of the magazine is a great map of the subways and the bus routes. Use the mag maps so you don't look like a lost tourist with a fold out map in the middle of the sidewalk.

I aggree with Leopard , dont go anywhere but Elizabeth , rest of that place it just plain nasty.

alaskacat
10-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Last time I went up there was to pick my wife up and missed a turn.........never ever go down town at midnight, I got a bottle thrown through the wind shield..I guess I was the wrong color for that neighborhood.,

bobcat4life
10-26-2011, 09:37 PM
Try and catch a don bosco game. Not sure how far it is from Newark but you can see what they call "Good football"

Leopard4Life
10-26-2011, 10:04 PM
I aggree with Leopard , dont go anywhere but Elizabeth , rest of that place it just plain nasty.

You think that Newark is bad, it's a 5 star resort compared to Camden, NJ. Camden looks like a war zone.

Every where I went in Newark they thought I was 5.0. I would walk around a corner and hear "5.0, 5.0" and most of the street would clear.

Are you staying in Newark or just a day trip? Don't even think about getting a cab, they won't go there at night. If you are staying overnight you can go South and stay in Woodbridge, decent food and a good sports bar (at least there use to be). Otherwise I would suggest staying in Hoboken.