PDA

View Full Version : TexMike or other Ref...Question

coachc45
10-25-2011, 12:32 PM
Does Texas HS use the rule that upon fair catching a punt the team can elect to be awarded a Free Kick from where the ball is spotted?

Trench Warrior
10-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Yes they have the same rule. It is not just HS, you can do it in the NFL as well.

Emerson1
10-25-2011, 12:38 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Rare-free-kick-leads-to-huge-last-minute-win-in?urn=highschool-wp7579

coachc45
10-25-2011, 12:42 PM
I know the NFL has it....and obviously Florida has it, but does Texas High School have it? There are many exceptions the UIL has over the NCAA rule book. Just want confirmation that it is legal.

YTBulldogs
10-25-2011, 12:56 PM
This is not allowed in Texas high school football. We play by NCAA rules. I believe it's a Federation rule that allows this.

coachc45
10-25-2011, 01:05 PM
This is not allowed in Texas high school football or NCAA rules. I believe it's a Federation rule.

See now I'm confused...2 say yes and 1 says no....

TexMike
10-25-2011, 01:18 PM
Texasa HS football is played under NCAA rules There is no provision permitting this in NCAA rules and no UIL exception allowing it so it is not allowed. You can do this in the NFL and in 48 states for HS football but not in college football nor in Texas or Mass high school football

YTBulldogs
10-25-2011, 01:23 PM
coachc45, you coach in Texas?

Manso/V8
10-25-2011, 01:30 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Rare-free-kick-leads-to-huge-last-minute-win-in?urn=highschool-wp7579

Not quite the same game atmosphere we are accustomed to with Friday Night Lights in Texas.

TexMike
10-25-2011, 01:37 PM
And one of those schools is one of the "marquee" schools in Florida!

I spent 4 years in Virginia 2005-09 and folks asked why I did not officiate HS football while I was there. My response...if all you are used to for food is eating steak at Ruth Chris' Steakhouse, it is hard to get motivated to go to McDonalds.

YTBulldogs
10-25-2011, 01:47 PM
I'm amazed 48 states play under these goofy rules. I heard the good Dr. with the UIL would love for Texas to be the 49th state to play outside NCAA rules. Anything to do with UIL wanting TASO to register with them?

coachc45
10-25-2011, 01:55 PM
coachc45, you coach in Texas?

Yeah I coach at John Tyler High School. Been coaching 20 years and never have I had anyone mention this to me. Looked in NCAA rules and on UIL exceptions and didn't see anything. So wasn't sure. Thought I'd go to a more knowledgeable group of people...the Refs. lol

YTBulldogs
10-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Yeah I coach at John Tyler High School. Been coaching 20 years and never have I had anyone mention this to me. Looked in NCAA rules and on UIL exceptions and didn't see anything. So wasn't sure. Thought I'd go to a more knowledgeable group of people...the Refs. lol

I understand coach. Trust me, your not the only coach who don't know the rules ya'll write and play by.

coachc45
10-25-2011, 02:04 PM
I understand coach. Trust me, your not the only coach who don't know the rules ya'll write and play by.

That kinda was a backhanded slap!?!?!?!?! LMAO

I usually am pretty knowledgeable when it comes to the rulebook. But I had never heard that one, obviously cuz it ain't a Texas Rule. But there are a ton of very obscure rules out there.

coachc45
10-25-2011, 02:05 PM

Thanks for your and TexMike's help!

jockcity33
10-25-2011, 02:05 PM

That statement right there is why I hate referee's, coachc45 was stating that he was not sure on the rule, so he thought he would ask the officials that are on this site, and he gets a smart a$$ remark like this. Why don't you get out of officiating and save the money you spend on Brute cologne.

TexMike
10-25-2011, 02:10 PM
Like we tell the rookie officials at first day of training...don't worry, there are only 243 rules to learn......(and on the 2d day we tell them "We told you there were 243 rules but we forgot to mention there are 489 exceptions")

It's a freaking miracle ANYONE can learn them even half right

BaseballUmp
10-25-2011, 03:34 PM
That statement right there is why I hate referee's, coachc45 was stating that he was not sure on the rule, so he thought he would ask the officials that are on this site, and he gets a smart a$$ remark like this. Why don't you get out of officiating and save the money you spend on Brute cologne.
Haha this guy...

Emerson1
10-25-2011, 03:44 PM
Not quite the same game atmosphere we are accustomed to with Friday Night Lights in Texas.
I heard a guy at the Navy v. ECU game in Annapolis over the weekend talking about how crazy it was 10,000 people showed up for a high school football game.

pirate4state
10-25-2011, 04:25 PM
That statement right there is why I hate referee's, coachc45 was stating that he was not sure on the rule, so he thought he would ask the officials that are on this site, and he gets a smart a$$ remark like this. Why don't you get out of officiating and save the money you spend on Brute cologne. LOL wait...

Ranger354
10-25-2011, 07:56 PM
Had the Refs call a motion penalty on the offense and an offsides on the defense last week in a Sinton vs Aransas Pass game. If you have motion on the defense you can't have offsides by the defense. The refs in that game made bad calls on both sides of the ball.

TexMike
10-25-2011, 08:03 PM
You sure can have illegal motion on the offense and offside on the defense. Example: Sinton's left flanker is in motion running to the right side of formation. Before the ball is snapped, he starts angling towards the line of scrimmage and is still going forward when the ball is snapped. Meanwhile an Aransas pass defensive lineman is lined up offside when the ball is snapped. Illegal motion on offense - offside defense Offsetting penalties 0 replatthe down

Ranger354
10-25-2011, 09:54 PM
If I remember correct the called the offsides.... And it was on Sinton while on defense. That's why the question.... Either offsetting or no play and procedure called on offense.