PDA

View Full Version : Best Wimberley QB

WimboFan
10-25-2011, 08:22 AM
Who do you guys think is the best QB to come thru Wimberley? There have been a good string of quarterbacks come thru Wimberley in the last decade and a half.
My rank is:
1. Polanco
2. Beatty
3. Lambert
4. Churchman
5. Weldon
6. Scudder

Funny that Weldon is at #5 for me when he was the one that was at the helm for the 05 champ. I heard the kid that played the next year in 06 could have been playing that 05 year though.

What you guys think?

cotulla
10-25-2011, 10:19 AM
I think this is what we call... putting the handle in to stir the pot.

TexDad
10-25-2011, 11:12 AM
Probably before your time, but I would have to put Stevens in the top three.

WimboFan
10-25-2011, 11:22 AM
????? handle in to stir the pot?
how?

WimboFan
10-25-2011, 11:23 AM
I would agree with that... I was not in Wimberley when he played. I have heard great things about him, and about the teams he played on.

Tejastrue
10-25-2011, 11:27 AM
Who do you guys think is the best QB to come thru Wimberley? There have been a good string of quarterbacks come thru Wimberley in the last decade and a half.
My rank is:
1. Polanco
2. Beatty
3. Lambert
4. Churchman
5. Weldon
6. Scudder

Funny that Weldon is at #5 for me when he was the one that was at the helm for the 05 champ. I heard the kid that played the next year in 06 could have been playing that 05 year though.

What you guys think?

This season is far from being over...come see me then...:sleeping:

Old Tiger
10-25-2011, 11:29 AM
Weldon...he has the ring....plus he's a cool guy

LIONS#1
10-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Who all out of that list went on to play in the NCAA/NFL? Anyone?:)

WimboFan
10-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Who all out of that list went on to play in the NCAA/NFL? Anyone?:)

Polanco and Beatty played in college... Scudder played for a year or two maybe? idk

gold_33
10-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Polanco would have to be the best, he's the only one that played D1 ball and had success starting for Navy. After that would have to be Beaty, Stevens, Weldon, cant put Lambert in there yet because his career isnt over with yet. Mikey Meeks was was the QB in '01 and he could play some ball but he was a converted WR not a true QB but as good an athlete as any of these guys.

Pendragon13
10-25-2011, 01:43 PM
My vote http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_Keenum

Oh wait, did you say Wylie or Wimberly? :doh::D

Daddy D 11
10-25-2011, 06:21 PM
weldon was a gamer...he was the best QB.
beatty was the best athlete, def the most electric

Blastoderm55
10-25-2011, 07:13 PM
I knew Weldon's dad, so he gets my vote.

Gone Fishing
10-25-2011, 09:22 PM
Polanco would have to be the best, he's the only one that played D1 ball and had success starting for Navy. After that would have to be Beaty, Stevens, Weldon, cant put Lambert in there yet because his career isnt over with yet. Mikey Meeks was was the QB in '01 and he could play some ball but he was a converted WR not a true QB but as good an athlete as any of these guys.

Never saw Stevens, but I think/heard he may have been really good. Mikey Meeks got screwed and had to play QB his Senior year and may have been one of our best ever QB's if he would have been playing it the whole time. Polanco was very good and played D-1. Weldon good, but just got the offense done with minimal mistakes (and that is a good thing!), Ricky Beaty had to wait his turn because of Weldon and that was a total bummer because he may have been the best ever at Wimberley with 2 or even 3 years of playing, but he only got one, similar to next years QB. Scudder doesn't even count, Blackmore was a gamer,but not a true QB, Lambert is a linebacker. My picks are

Beaty-
Meeks-
Polanco-
Weldon-
Lambert-
Scudder-

Although Stevens, Im sure would be top 3.

WimboFan
10-26-2011, 08:35 PM
Yea, good stuff... I would have to agree with gone fishing.... but what about churchman?

ogg
10-26-2011, 08:53 PM
My rank is:
1. Polanco
2. Beatty
3. Lambert
4. Churchman
5. Weldon
6. Scudder

What you guys think?

Beaty IMO,,, but then Lambert's not done yet.

Tejastrue
10-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Beaty IMO,,, but then Lambert's not done yet.

But Lambert's a linebacker...:D

ogg
10-26-2011, 09:07 PM
But Lambert's a linebacker...:D

My wife just ask me what I was laughing about.

Gone Fishing
10-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Yea, good stuff... I would have to agree with gone fishing.... but what about churchman?

Beaty
Meeks
Polanco
Weldon
Churchman
Blakemore
Lambert
Scudder

Tejastrue
10-26-2011, 09:37 PM
My wife just ask me what I was laughing about.

I had to chuckle a bit myself...it appears GF is not much of a Lambert fan...:dispntd:

Sportshack
10-26-2011, 10:15 PM
I had to chuckle a bit myself...it appears GF is not much of a Lambert fan...:dispntd:

What is to like about Lambert? He has only gone 21-1 as a starter (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) but I am sure anyone could have done that....rightttttt!

Polanco was a successful QB for Navy. That says a lot. I remember that he could throw ball well. Beatty seemed the most polished by the end of his senior year. The Medina Valley playoff game...on way home my young son says that he did not recall seeing the ball hit the ground one time on the evening...I was impressed when I learned that sure enough Beatty had gone 17 for 17, which is hard to do against air. He still plays so that is something. Weldon was a scrapper that just managed to get 'er done. He played with bad ankle and cracked rib thru 05 C-Ship run and led team to 15-0 season beating some good teams in semis and C-ship. Hard to choose.

LHPfactory
10-27-2011, 06:21 AM
Beatty and Buse gave LH fits in the 06 game in Wimberley....... that was almost a 100 point game (48-44 Wimberley) that went to the wire, exciting game however, i didnt like the ending. That being said, I was equally impressed how Weldon played big for a little guy in 05.

On another note Buse was probably the biggest factor for Wimberley back in that era, Offense, Defense, and return man on special teams, that kid had a nack for timing the ball, running full speed as he caught the kick and not missing a stride. After LH went ahead in the 4th quarter in 06, Buse made a hell of a return to put Wimberley in position for the winning touchdown by Beatty.

Gone Fishing
10-27-2011, 07:11 AM

Not true. Big fan of Lambert because he is the QB for the Texans now ( and has a hell of a record as Wimberleys QB) The question at hand was rating the Wimberley QB's. I want this team to go all the way and think they have a great chance. As for as the linebacker comment, not an insult at all, I think Tim Tebow may have been called one too and he starts in the NFL! Just saying. Lambert is one of the big keys for the Texans to go deep, that goes without saying.

gold_33
10-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Never saw Stevens, but I think/heard he may have been really good. Mikey Meeks got screwed and had to play QB his Senior year and may have been one of our best ever QB's if he would have been playing it the whole time. Polanco was very good and played D-1. Weldon good, but just got the offense done with minimal mistakes (and that is a good thing!), Ricky Beaty had to wait his turn because of Weldon and that was a total bummer because he may have been the best ever at Wimberley with 2 or even 3 years of playing, but he only got one, similar to next years QB. Scudder doesn't even count, Blackmore was a gamer,but not a true QB, Lambert is a linebacker. My picks are

Beaty-
Meeks-
Polanco-
Weldon-
Lambert-
Scudder-

Although Stevens, Im sure would be top 3.

I dont think Meeks got screwed, he had Polanco as his QB til his senior year and he never even played QB til then because they had another kid in his grade that moved before his senior year that was always the QB for that class. Polanco had the best arm out of any of these guys and could play some ball, think they went undefeated his senior year during the season then got beat in the 2nd round by Hondo. Beaty couldve started in '05 but Weldon was solid and made enough plays to keep the job. Stevens was more of an athlete and ran the ball a lot but was super fast, Wimberley ran the Wing T back then so not much passing. Churchman was good and probably wouldve been better if he couldve thrown the ball more, we switched to the spread offense the year after he graduated.

WimboFan
10-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Beatty and Buse gave LH fits in the 06 game in Wimberley....... that was almost a 100 point game (48-44 Wimberley) that went to the wire, exciting game however, i didnt like the ending. That being said, I was equally impressed how Weldon played big for a little guy in 05.

On another note Buse was probably the biggest factor for Wimberley back in that era, Offense, Defense, and return man on special teams, that kid had a nack for timing the ball, running full speed as he caught the kick and not missing a stride. After LH went ahead in the 4th quarter in 06, Buse made a hell of a return to put Wimberley in position for the winning touchdown by Beatty.

This is true, Buse was great for that offense. If you saw the play of that offense the whole year, you would know that it was a combo effort between Beatty, Buse, Thompson, and Samuel... Each played their role, and Beatty was the catalyst... If it was not for him, that 06 team would have been nowhere.

Gone Fishing
10-27-2011, 06:48 PM
I dont think Meeks got screwed, he had Polanco as his QB til his senior year and he never even played QB til then because they had another kid in his grade that moved before his senior year that was always the QB for that class. Polanco had the best arm out of any of these guys and could play some ball, think they went undefeated his senior year during the season then got beat in the 2nd round by Hondo. Beaty couldve started in '05 but Weldon was solid and made enough plays to keep the job. Stevens was more of an athlete and ran the ball a lot but was super fast, Wimberley ran the Wing T back then so not much passing. Churchman was good and probably wouldve been better if he couldve thrown the ball more, we switched to the spread offense the year after he graduated.

Sorry Gold, I didnt mean he got screwed because of QB. He got screwed because he should have been playing receiver! Although if I remember right the guy that moved, moved because the coach was going to move the best athelete to QB. Meeks. The other guy s name started with K but dont remember. I could be wrong and have my years messed up. If Mikey would have played QB from 7th up he would have been a great QB. How good would Brennen be at QB if he would have started out that way? He sucked when he took over for his brother in 09. There is many great players, but I believe QB's are made from way back in youth and Jr high and then molded into HS QB's. Hell, Alana could have been a great QB, but dont you get my point? Thats why the Beatty's and the Polanco's and maybe even next years guy are so good. Its because that is what they do. Its in their head. They are no better than the LB or the tackle or the db, its just what they do and see, and the good ones seeeeeeeee the field like no one else can. The average ones just run the offense.

WimboFan
10-28-2011, 01:09 PM
You could also look at the offensive lines that Churchman and Beatty played with compared to the lines in front of Polanco, Weldon, Blakemore, and Lambert.... big difference in size and schemes

gold_33
10-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Sorry Gold, I didnt mean he got screwed because of QB. He got screwed because he should have been playing receiver! Although if I remember right the guy that moved, moved because the coach was going to move the best athelete to QB. Meeks. The other guy s name started with K but dont remember. I could be wrong and have my years messed up. If Mikey would have played QB from 7th up he would have been a great QB. How good would Brennen be at QB if he would have started out that way? He sucked when he took over for his brother in 09. There is many great players, but I believe QB's are made from way back in youth and Jr high and then molded into HS QB's. Hell, Alana could have been a great QB, but dont you get my point? Thats why the Beatty's and the Polanco's and maybe even next years guy are so good. Its because that is what they do. Its in their head. They are no better than the LB or the tackle or the db, its just what they do and see, and the good ones seeeeeeeee the field like no one else can. The average ones just run the offense.

Yea Kelihor is the name your thinking of, he was the qb of that class and was a pretty good QB hurt them when he moved out. Meeks wouldve been great I think at any spot you put him I believe, he could play some ball. Not many starting QB's these days could be the starting corner and punt and kickoff returner like he did.