PDA

View Full Version : Rice at UH Thursday for Bayou Bucket

ExScoop
10-25-2011, 07:14 AM
From the Houston Chronicle
Like many coaches across the country, Rice's David Bailiff is traditionally the last one to leave the building after a home game.

There is one exception to that rule, one the Owls joyously experienced last October when they defeated the Houston Cougars 34-31 at Rice Stadium to reclaim the Bayou Bucket.

"It's incredible when you do win it," Bailiff said. "Normally, I'm the last one to leave here on Saturdays - except when you win the bucket.

"(The players) in there taking pictures with it, taking individual pictures with it, group pictures, acting like they are drinking from it. It's (a victory) in which they celebrate it by taking it around on campus. It is important. It's a great traveling trophy. It is a great tradition."

That rivalry and tradition will be rekindled at 7 p.m. Thursday at Robertson Stadium when the Cougars (7-0, 3-0 Conference USA) and Owls (2-5, 1-3) meet for the 38th time.

Make or break

To hear the players talk about it, possessing the Bayou Bucket can make your season. Or it can gnaw at you when the trophy sits approximately five miles away at the crosstown rival's campus.

"I'm from Houston, so every now and then you go out to certain places, and you see a couple of Rice fans, and they let you have it," UH senior receiver Tyron Carrier said. "So we need that bucket back, because I can't go through another year with that, especially my senior year."

While UH leads the all-time series 26-11, the Owls know they currently have bragging rights after last year's win. And they enjoyed the campus-wide tour they took the bucket on after reclaiming it.

"That was fun," Rice senior offensive lineman Davon Allen said. "It's more than just a bucket itself; it's a sense of pride that you get when you win that game. My family watches; my friends' families are watching. It's a big deal in Houston to win that bucket."

UH senior linebacker Marcus McGraw, a product of Arlington Bowie High School, didn't appreciate the meaning of the game when he first participated in it as a freshman in 2008. But when the Cougars fell that day 56-42, he quickly learned how much it meant.

"I saw the seniors, how heartbroken some of them were," McGraw said. "(Former UH defensive tackle) Tate Stewart - the image that stays in my head was him bawling out. After that I started realizing how much it means to you."

Setting the tone

UH quarterback Case Keenum remembers the first one he witnessed. He was a true freshman, taking a redshirt year in 2006 while then-Cougars quarterback Kevin Kolb was preparing to lead UH to a memorable C-USA championship season.

Rice, coming off a 1-10 season in 2005, gave the Cougars all they could handle before UH emerged with a 31-30 season-opening victory.

"That wound up being a huge game toward the end," Keenum said. "We needed that game to win the West side of the conference. I know that one point was representative of how close this game usually is and what it really means."

Rice has faced four teams from Bowl Championship Series leagues this year and is trying to snap a two-game skid. Just as important, the Owls are trying to keep the bucket, which has changed hands each year dating to 2008.

"It's huge," senior defensive lineman John Gioffre said. "Crosstown rivalry, my senior year - it's pretty big for me. But then again, when is a game not big? It's another game as well."

Roughneck93
10-25-2011, 07:25 AM
Coogs reclaim the Bucket this year in a big way.

Bull Butter
10-25-2011, 07:49 AM
UH 63
Rice 14

Case throws for 500 yds and 6 TD.........Oh wait, he does that pretty much every week

carter08
10-27-2011, 10:13 PM
yardage was close, but change those 6 tds to 9 tds