PDA

View Full Version : Anybody post this already? Mike Irvin in Celina.

Gsquared
10-24-2011, 08:00 AM
http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Michael-Irvin-Explains-Incident-at-Middle-School-Football-Game-132419578.html

MoveInDad
10-24-2011, 08:34 AM
http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Michael-Irvin-Explains-Incident-at-Middle-School-Football-Game-132419578.html
His side of the story is naturally quite different from the many other people that were there... as well as the video taken. It wasn't just 1 'f bomb', it was many and it was being shouted very aggressively from the Celina stands right behind the benches... whatever, could write more, feel sorry for his kid.

Gsquared
10-24-2011, 08:36 AM
Michael Irvin is a turd, turds raise turds. JR. will probably turn out to be a turd.

ccmom
10-24-2011, 08:40 AM
Lovely :rolleyes:

LionFan72
10-24-2011, 08:53 AM
Exactly what is wrong with America today, absolutely no respect for others! And I know a couple of Celina folks who could have and would have "moved" the big black man!

BobcatBennie
10-24-2011, 09:07 AM
This is a big bag of nothing. Only issue is that there was a semi-celebrity involved.

There is hardly a game I attend that I do not think at least one football parent is over-blown.

LionFan72
10-24-2011, 09:09 AM
This is a big bag of nothing. Only issue is that there was a semi-celebrity involved.

There is hardly a game I attend that I do not think at least one football parent is over-blown.

The big loser is his 14 year old son! Poor kid, feel for him!

BILLYFRED0000
10-24-2011, 09:14 AM

Isn't that the truth. My johnny is not getting what I think he deserves.... yada yada yada.

BwdLion73
10-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Who won?

gatordaze
10-24-2011, 11:31 AM
Who won?

Prestonwood won big. MI jr. is a beast. He looks like a tackle wearing number 88. He was held back this year to repeating the 8th grade and could easily play at the varsity level for PW. Had MI chose to coach his kid up from the PW sideline all would have been fine. He was yelling at his kid to retaliate from behind the Celina bench. As he said, he may have scared a few of the smaller ole white folk in Celina that have not seen the likes of him before. I can assure you Big Bill was on point and he did not need any help!

scrub c
10-24-2011, 11:40 AM
classic...
reminds me of the 30 on 30 espn show I watched on the miami hurricanes.

RPF2666
10-24-2011, 12:00 PM
He was yelling to his son and at the Celina players on OUR sideline. One of our coaches told him to go to his sideline and not to yell at our players, and that
is when the fun began. He's an ego maniac who needs attention, possitive or negative isn't important.

Our stud 8th Grader from last year IS the Varsity QB. Michael JR. is repeating 8th Grade... sorta makes ya' wonder!

LionFan72
10-24-2011, 03:12 PM
What did Forrest Gump say, "stupid is as stupid does!" Sorry the Celina folks had to witness.

Matthew328
10-24-2011, 03:27 PM
Boy did channel 8 not have anything better to report on? lol

Tejastrue
10-24-2011, 03:38 PM
Think maybe he was not welcomed on the Prestonwood side??? Surely they were embarassed by his antics but you never know...

bigwood33
10-24-2011, 03:41 PM
I can assure you Big Bill was on point and he did not need any help!
He's NOT scared!

Phil C
10-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Michael certain makes his alma mater (Miami) proud doesn't he? :)

injuredinmelee
10-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Once a POS always a POS. He has no desire to be any different.

RPF2666
10-24-2011, 06:56 PM
Think maybe he was not welcomed on the Prestonwood side??? Surely they were embarassed by his antics but you never know...

EXACTLY! I can assure you no one was coming to his rescue.

We are proud of the way our kids handled it.

AND... the way their Coach handled it!

Manso/V8
10-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Would have enjoyed being there and gave Michael a piece of his own medicene.....if nothing else to but to get back at him for having to listen to him slobber on about the Cowboys on NFL network.

turbostud
10-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Wow I am surprised sandbagger hasnt taken Michael Irvins side on this one.

upper20
10-24-2011, 09:57 PM
To quote Russell from the Fat Albert cartoon: "Like a teacher in the summer -- No Class!"

bobcat4life
10-24-2011, 10:47 PM
Here is audio of some people from Celina calling in to Irvin's radio show:

http://www.championslivehere.com/

BILLYFRED0000
10-25-2011, 07:06 AM
you mess with one of us, and you get all of us.

CHS_89
10-25-2011, 08:40 AM
I wasn't there and heard about this from a friend. Why did he have to "coach" his son?...from what I hear the game was already out of hand and PW was winning. And why did he feel inclined to go to the opponents side of the field to "coach"? I am all for encouraging my kids to do their best while watching them play...I have even gotten over excited when something happens, don't we all? But...I have never, EVER, been inclined to leave my seat, walk over to the opponents side of the field and yell for my kids from behind the other teams bench or even from their stands...you are asking for BIG trouble. He knew what he was doing and is now playing it off as "Why can't I coach my kid"...Instead of trying to coach, how about working on setting a good example for your kid and everone around?

defense51
10-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Typical Michael Irvin "why can't I do cocaine in a hotel room with a prostitute?" Obviously never learned right from wrong...

Manso/V8
10-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Here is audio of some people from Celina calling in to Irvin's radio show:

http://www.championslivehere.com/

I am not a Michael Irvin fan, nor a Michael Irvin hater. He is not my style, but he does provide some interesting insights and adds some flavor to NFL Network commentary.....though I get really tired of the ongoing chatter about Cowboys drama, even when they are in a losing season.

Years back I was pretty involved in youth sports and found that parents coaching their own kid from the sidelines or the fence was/still is pretty common in peewee, little league, on up through junior high. It starts to drop off in 7th and 8th grade and is not very common by the time they are freshman.

I just listened to the segment of his radio show. If I understood correctly, what really set Michael Irvin off was the Celina coach telling their player(s) to chop block his son, which put his son at greater risk of injury. If that is true, the Celina coach was wrong. I never tried to coach my kids from the stands in Jr. High, but if someone was trying to do that to my son, I would get pretty upset as well. I would definately feel I had the right, and duty, to tell or coach my son how to protect himself from the chop block. If an opposing coach was telling his players to use a tactic that put my son, or any player at greater risk of injury, I could envision doing my parent coaching from the other team's side to let that coach know he was wrong, and in effect, call out that coach. I don't know if Michael Irvin dropped F-bombs or used profanity, if so, that was wrong.......but I would understand a parent gettting very upset if their child was intentionally being put at greater risk.

This incident was probably a bigger issue because Irvin is a celebrity, and it was at a Jr. High game, since there are usually fewer fans amd less crowd noise. It probably wouldn't have been noticed at a varsity game. Irrespective of the score......this was a JUNIOR HIGH GAME, and no matter if a kid is a B teamer or potential superstar, learning how to play the game correctly and coming away healthy, is way more important than the score or outcome.

Old Tiger
10-25-2011, 11:54 AM
white man holding the black man down again.....

Saggy Aggie
10-25-2011, 12:09 PM
white man holding the black man down again..... lmao

BwdLion73
10-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Where are the gazillion cell phone videos we see everytime something like this happens? Maybe he should go stand on his teams sidelines and tell his coach what to do.

Me thinks he protest too much.:crying:

Old&Crusty
10-25-2011, 12:11 PM
I am not a Michael Irvin fan, nor a Michael Irvin hater. He is not my style, but he does provide some interesting insights and adds some flavor to NFL Network commentary.....though I get really tired of the ongoing chatter about Cowboys drama, even when they are in a losing season.

Years back I was pretty involved in youth sports and found that parents coaching their own kid from the sidelines or the fence was/still is pretty common in peewee, little league, on up through junior high. It starts to drop off in 7th and 8th grade and is not very common by the time they are freshman.

I just listened to the segment of his radio show. If I understood correctly, what really set Michael Irvin off was the Celina coach telling their player(s) to chop block his son, which put his son at greater risk of injury. If that is true, the Celina coach was wrong. I never tried to coach my kids from the stands in Jr. High, but if someone was trying to do that to my son, I would get pretty upset as well. I would definately feel I had the right, and duty, to tell or coach my son how to protect himself from the chop block. If an opposing coach was telling his players to use a tactic that put my son, or any player at greater risk of injury, I could envision doing my parent coaching from the other team's side to let that coach know he was wrong, and in effect, call out that coach. I don't know if Michael Irvin dropped F-bombs or used profanity, if so, that was wrong.......but I would understand a parent gettting very upset if their child was intentionally being put at greater risk.

This incident was probably a bigger issue because Irvin is a celebrity, and it was at a Jr. High game, since there are usually fewer fans amd less crowd noise. It probably wouldn't have been noticed at a varsity game. Irrespective of the score......this was a JUNIOR HIGH GAME, and no matter if a kid is a B teamer or potential superstar, learning how to play the game correctly and coming away healthy, is way more important than the score or outcome.

Did the Prestonwood coaches complain about those chop blocks? If not, maybe they're trying to hurt his son too! And the refs, they must have been blind! (and probably HATE the Cowboys!). Funny too how no one from Prestonwood came over to our side and caused a rucus. It seems EVERYONE must be bad!

Over the years around here, I've seen more than one former NFL dad stick their nose into their boys "careers" and expect or demand "special" treatment. Bless the coaches that have to put up with it.

Old Tiger
10-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Did the Prestonwood coaches complain about those chop blocks? If not, maybe they're trying to hurt his son too! And the refs, they must have been blind! (and probably HATE the Cowboys!). Funny too how no one from Prestonwood came over to our side and caused a rucus. It seems EVERYONE must be bad!

Over the years around here, I've seen more than one former NFL dad stick their nose into their boys "careers" and expect or demand "special" treatment. Bless the coaches that have to put up with it.OR Celina always gets the calls and rarely has flags on them because they had a documentary made on them and were featured in a music video by Kenny Chessney.

Manso/V8
10-25-2011, 02:11 PM

Over the years around here, I've seen more than one former NFL dad stick their nose into their boys "careers" and expect or demand "special" treatment. Bless the coaches that have to put up with it.

I am just saying I understand how a parent, NFL dad or not, would get upset if they thought the technique used against their son was putting him at greater risk of injury. From your post it seems that you saw the chop blocks. I wasn't there, so I don't know how what the coaches or refs did or didn't do about it.......some Jr High coaches and refs are great, others aren't the sharpest tool in the shed, that experienced, see every infraction, or confident enough to call something out like that. Even if the blocks weren't illegal, if a parent thought it was putting his son at greater risk, it is natural for them to want to tell their kid how to protect himself.

In my experience, NFL dads and former D1 football dads are not the ones demanding special treatment for their kids. They typically provide a lot of coaching and guidance away from the field to maximize their kid's potential. They tend to be calmer and more realistic about their kid's level of development and potential, because they have seen more and know what it takes to make it. Michael Irvin might be an exception and more aggresssive.

I have seen more over the top actions by dads who thought they were better than they actually were in high school and didn't get a chance to play at the next level. I have noticed that some parents, and also high school coaches, hold there kid back early on. It makes you wonder if the motive is to give their kid the advantage of being a year older than most of their classmates when school sports start..

RPF2666
10-25-2011, 03:38 PM
If you listen to the last radio cut, Micheal refers to last years 'great game'. That was last years 8th Grade game, when Michael JR. was in 8th Grade, too.

I don't know the motivation for keeping him in 8th Grade this year or his son who played 7th Grade last year still being in 7th Grade this year, but you'd think
kids with that athletic pedigree would be able to move up with the rest of the kids they played with last year and continue to compete?

bobcat4life
10-25-2011, 04:52 PM
I found it funny that he was complaining about "constant chop blocks" when his son was cut like twice...

gatordaze
10-25-2011, 07:02 PM
I found it funny that he was complaining about "constant chop blocks" when his son was cut like twice...

A chop block involves 2 offensive players against 1 defensive player. Chopping a wide receiver would standout like a sore thumb. Cutting a wide receiver does not make a lot of sense either as the cutter would be on the ground and the receiver could simply get up and be wide open. I was not there but I cannot envision either against a wide receiver.

bobcat4life
10-25-2011, 08:03 PM
A chop block involves 2 offensive players against 1 defensive player. Chopping a wide receiver would standout like a sore thumb. Cutting a wide receiver does not make a lot of sense either as the cutter would be on the ground and the receiver could simply get up and be wide open. I was not there but I cannot envision either against a wide receiver.
I wasnt there either but I was told that his son got cut twice by a kid that was at least 100 pounds lighter.

turbostud
10-25-2011, 08:09 PM
So does Celina has 4 more years of Michael Irvin in their stands to look forward to?

DavidWooderson
10-25-2011, 10:38 PM
Celina folks griping about a kid being held back in 8th grade.....Hysterical!

RPF2666
10-26-2011, 06:59 AM
Celina folks griping about a kid being held back in 8th grade.....Hysterical!
Not griping, just stating a fact. Our 8th Grader from last year is the Varsity QB, this year. Oh, but he is getting coaching
from his dad every game, too!

Txbroadcaster
10-26-2011, 07:02 AM
Look it is not a new thing to hold a younger kid back at 8th grade if they are a year ahead graduation wise...meaning they would be a 16 year old most of SR year..what Irvin is doing is something done ALL over the state.

StangEm
10-26-2011, 07:33 AM
He's a punk....always gonna be a punk. He has no business being in a public setting with such good down home folks like Celina. Shame.....