PDA

View Full Version : Henderson / Gilmer

Gsquared
10-24-2011, 06:54 AM
Lord how'd id love to see this one. Sounds like Gilmer isnt the same team I saw in Atlanta. Henderson didnt seem to match up well with Carthage, up front atleast. I suspect Gilmer might maul them in the trenches too but in this district, you never know.

cowboyandchrist
10-24-2011, 07:36 AM
I believe it will go as the QB goes. No Luke Turner for Gilmer and a Del Barnes for Henderson = Henderson win. If Henderson has there way it will be a high scoring shoot out. If Gilmer's defense can slow down the high octane Henderson offense, then they win. Just no way of knowing how this game will go.

LionFan72
10-24-2011, 07:51 AM
What will Henderson do after a beatdown by Carthage? I think Gilmer takes this one by 21, Henderson is overrated this year.

waterboy
10-24-2011, 08:44 AM
I doubt seriously that Henderson is overrated. They were playing IN Carthage, which is definitely not an easy place to play. I can say this, too, that the Carthage offense started clicking in the second half of the Gilmer game. I knew there was a good chance that they would beat Henderson if the Dawgs didn't make the mistakes which have hampered them throughout the season. The thing that has hurt Henderson this year is their schedule. Nobody knew how they would respond when they started playing the really good teams. The Dawgs are young and will be a force again once the playoffs start.

About the Gilmer / Henderson game: I have no idea how this game will turn out, but I'm hoping the Buckeyes' Black Flag DEFENSE can get enough stops to keep this from being a track meet. If it becomes a track meet that decreases our chances of winning. The Buckeyes have had a goal all year to WIN THE DISTRICT OF DOOM, and I look for the DEFENSE to step it up and put pressure on Del Barnes, keep him contained in the pocket with a spy in the middle, and a safety over the top and the Buckeyes will be able to prevent the big play. The DEFENSE MUST STOP ALLOWING 3RD DOWN CONVERSIONS. The offense will be fine under the leadership of Jordan Traylor. He throws some of the most catchable passes I've ever seen. He is deadly accurate, and if he can get a receiver behind the defense he will hit him in the hands. The Buckeyes must play ball control with an effective running game, short passes, and a shot over the top here and there. This will only be the third (and last) game at Buckeye Stadium, all against defending state champions. TWO DOWN, ONE TO GO. Let's get it done, Buckeyes!

Txbroadcaster
10-24-2011, 08:50 AM
I doubt seriously that Henderson is overrated. They were playing IN Carthage, which is definitely not an easy place to play. I can say this, too, that the Carthage offense started clicking in the second half of the Gilmer game. I knew there was a good chance that they would beat Henderson if the Dawgs didn't make the mistakes which have hampered them throughout the season. The thing that has hurt Henderson this year is their schedule. Nobody knew how they would respond when they started playing the really good teams. The Dawgs are young and will be a force again once the playoffs start.

About the Gilmer / Henderson game: I have no idea how this game will turn out, but I'm hoping the Buckeyes' Black Flag DEFENSE can get enough stops to keep this from being a track meet. If it becomes a track meet that decreases our chances of winning. The Buckeyes have had a goal all year to WIN THE DISTRICT OF DOOM, and I look for the DEFENSE to step it up and put pressure on Del Barnes, keep him contained in the pocket with a spy in the middle, and a safety over the top and the Buckeyes will be able to prevent the big play. The DEFENSE MUST STOP ALLOWING 3RD DOWN CONVERSIONS. The offense will be fine under the leadership of Jordan Traylor. He throws some of the most catchable passes I've ever seen. He is deadly accurate, and if he can get a receiver behind the defense he will hit him in the hands. The Buckeyes must play ball control with an effective running game, short passes, and a shot over the top here and there. This will only be the third (and last) game at Buckeye Stadium, all against defending state champions. TWO DOWN, ONE TO GO. Let's get it done, Buckeyes!

I do think Henderson is overrated..still good, but not a top 5 team in state, and debatable if top 10..this was their first test of the season and they got whipped badly in all phases...This was not a fluke game, Carthage lined up and dominated them on both sides

LionFan72
10-24-2011, 09:02 AM
I do think Henderson is overrated..still good, but not a top 5 team in state, and debatable if top 10..this was their first test of the season and they got whipped badly in all phases...This was not a fluke game, Carthage lined up and dominated them on both sides

Ratings are just opinions primarily based on last years success in the beginning, and adjusted as the year progresses. No doubt Henderson is a good team, just not the caliber of the team from last year.

waterboy
10-24-2011, 09:06 AM
If what you say is true, then Gilmer "should" be able to beat them. Somehow, I think you may be overreacting to seeing the Lions play in one game. Albeit, they were dominated, but it was against a Carthage team that is starting to click, finally. I think the Buckeyes will win IF they can keep Del Barnes contained, AND if they can stop giving up 3rd down conversions.

Txbroadcaster
10-24-2011, 09:08 AM
If what you say is true, then Gilmer "should" be able to beat them. Somehow, I think you may be overreacting to seeing the Lions play in one game. Albeit, they were dominated, but it was against a Carthage team that is starting to click, finally. I think the Buckeyes will win IF they can keep Del Barnes contained, AND if they can stop giving up 3rd down conversions.

maybe..I just know I saw no real speed or size for Henderson..I saw them get physically beat at the point of attack snap after snap after snap...I see no play maker on O except Barnes..You had a sophs kicking the crap out of seniors snap after snap.

Yes I do think Gilmer should wiin going away.

Aesculus gilmus
10-24-2011, 09:10 AM
This is no knock on Luke Turner. His running has kept us in a lot of games. But I think Jordan Traylor is the better passer. He is considerably more accurate. The word from now on in 2011 to describe the Buckeyes' offense is "distribution." He is going to distribute the ball to the playmakers and we now have more playmakers than we did at the start of the season. I even saw some flashes of brilliance the other night from Trey Washington, who is normally on defense.

Where the Buckeyes will really miss Luke is both in terms of the intangible "leadership" factor and also in the kicking/punting game. However, we haven't had to punt recently, so at this point it's just the kickoffs which suffer some in terms of distance. However, you won't EVER hear me criticize "Pablino" after his heroics against Carthage.

COBRAFOOTBALL
10-24-2011, 12:59 PM
If Henderson isnt as good as last year, Alvarado should be able to beat them and go to the state championship. Alvarado is twice as good as last year.. and barely lost to Henderson by 7 last year. Just sayin...
Ratings are just opinions primarily based on last years success in the beginning, and adjusted as the year progresses. No doubt Henderson is a good team, just not the caliber of the team from last year.

Gonzo
10-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Henderson also played vs Carthage missing several guys. I know they didn't have a starting FS and several other guys on defense, big impact when you are playing against a team as good as Carthage. I think if Henderson gets those guys back this week then Henderson wins a big game vs Gilmer. If not then Henderson struggles and Gilmer wins by 10. Anyway around it, Carthage, Gilmer, and Henderson will all make deep runs again in the playoffs, with a possibility of both state champs coming from this district again. I would hate to play any of these teams come playoff time!

waterboy
10-24-2011, 01:24 PM
maybe..I just know I saw no real speed or size for Henderson..I saw them get physically beat at the point of attack snap after snap after snap...I see no play maker on O except Barnes..You had a sophs kicking the crap out of seniors snap after snap.

Yes I do think Gilmer should wiin going away.
If you saw no real speed or size for Henderson.........you'll REALLY be surprised by Gilmer. They are small and slow.........:wave:...........BUT they do know how to make up for it.

Really, the Buckeyes are a "little" bigger than last year, and a "little bit" faster, but they still won't impress you with either.

poisoned10
10-24-2011, 01:50 PM
Gilmer is going to have to come out focused and ready to play to beat Henderson. Jordan looked pretty good what few plays I saw, but it was against Spring Hill. Henderson is MUCH better than Spring Hill. A lot of those open receivers won't be there.

It will be a big challenge for Gilmer and Jordan. I have faith in the coaching staff that they will give Gilmer the best game plan to give them the best chance to win.

oldtownag
10-24-2011, 02:09 PM
Gilmer: You are gonna sorely miss Luke Turner this week. Turner was a beast running the ball against a normally stingy Dawg defense.

Henderson: If you just show up expecting to win like you did against Carthage, you will get another beat down.

OTA prediction: Henderson 42 - Gilmer 37 - Sorry Buckeyes I think the loss at QB will be too much to overcome. This game will be a track meet and your main man is out.

Besides I am pulling for the Lions to help the Dawgs get a share of the DOD championship.

MGAR
10-24-2011, 03:50 PM
Random thought here..

A Gilmer win would put Pitt in the playoff hunt. Not likely they will make it though. Just saying.

waterboy
10-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Gilmer: You are gonna sorely miss Luke Turner this week. Turner was a beast running the ball against a normally stingy Dawg defense.

Henderson: If you just show up expecting to win like you did against Carthage, you will get another beat down.

OTA prediction: Henderson 42 - Gilmer 37 - Sorry Buckeyes I think the loss at QB will be too much to overcome. This game will be a track meet and your main man is out.

Besides I am pulling for the Lions to help the Dawgs get a share of the DOD championship.
The bold part is what you WANT to happen "in a nutshell". Gilmer's offense is a lot more diverse with Traylor at QB, but you're right, we do miss Luke's ability to get the tough yards, not to mention what he brings to the kicking game. The thing is Jordan is a much better passer, in my opinion. It all balances out. We didn't have to use our big backs against Carthage because of Luke's presence, but we do have a couple of backs that are fully capable of getting the tough yards. I look for a few carries from Josh Walker (6'1", 220), and Jeremy McMillian (6' 190), and both are tough runners with good speed. I look for Darrion Pollard to get more touches, too. The biggest worry for me is on the defensive side of the ball. The Black Flag DEFENSE has been giving up too many 3rd down conversions, and they will not be able to continue that trend against Henderson.

garciap77
10-24-2011, 09:11 PM
Gilmer by 56!

buckeyebob
10-25-2011, 04:43 AM

+1 +1 +1...I would add...the Lion D better be ready

buckeyebob
10-25-2011, 04:49 AM
If Henderson isnt as good as last year, Alvarado should be able to beat them and go to the state championship. Alvarado is twice as good as last year.. and barely lost to Henderson by 7 last year. Just sayin...

Our Big School could well be Carthage this year...how will you fair there?

buckeyebob
10-25-2011, 04:54 AM

Traitor...you said you would join the Buckeyes (oldtownag is a closet Buckeye) in ganging up on the Lions...what happened? I thought Carthage hated Henderson? Ag's predictions suck...he is never right...he said Carthage would beat Gilmer this year...what a joke!

lostaussie
10-25-2011, 08:55 AM
Random thought here..

A Gilmer win would put Pitt in the playoff hunt. Not likely they will make it though. Just saying.Iv'e already been studying that:thinking:

MGAR
10-25-2011, 09:08 AM
Our Big School could well be Carthage this year...how will you fair there?

There is a chance but it's not likely.

garciap77
10-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Traitor...you said you would join the Buckeyes (oldtownag is a closet Buckeye) in ganging up on the Lions...what happened? I thought Carthage hated Henderson? Ag's predictions suck...he is never right...he said Carthage would beat Gilmer this year...what a joke!

Take the best players from Henderson and Carthage and Gilmer would still beat them by 50!:D

waterboy
10-25-2011, 11:54 AM
Take the best players from Henderson and Carthage and Gilmer would still beat them by 50!:D
:wave: LOL! By the way, your check is in the mail, brother!:clap:

garciap77
10-25-2011, 12:29 PM
:wave: LOL! By the way, your check is in the mail, brother!:clap:

LOL I have been trying to get people to bite at my predictions, but they just don't! I can't get ROCKET to come out in play either! One thing for sure: Wylie will win state this year!!!:D

MGAR
10-25-2011, 12:33 PM
Iv'e already been studying that:thinking:

Cool.

waterboy
10-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Wylie will win state this year!!!:D
:eek::eek: IF Gilmer doesn't I can't think of a better team to win it! Go Bulldogs!

cowboyandchrist
10-25-2011, 08:05 PM
:eek::eek: IF Gilmer doesn't I can't think of a better team to win it! Go Bulldogs!
I can think of a better one. Go Dawgs as in Carthage Bull Dawgs. Could not help my self, I played for the Dawgs back in the middle seventies.
It don't matter as long as a team from the East can keep the title. We have had it so long, it just needs to stay where it is, besides the trophy likes living in East Texas.

MGAR
10-25-2011, 08:29 PM
I can think of a better one. Go Dawgs as in Carthage Bull Dawgs. Could not help my self, I played for the Dawgs back in the middle seventies.
It don't matter as long as a team from the East can keep the title. We have had it so long, it just needs to stay where it is, besides the trophy likes living in East Texas.

The Go Dawgs? As in already lost to Gilmer Go Dawgs?

buckeyebob
10-26-2011, 12:16 AM
There is a chance but it's not likely.

Not Likely seems to be the mantra for Dist of Doom...who would have ever thought that us beating Carthage this year...Not Likely

Txbroadcaster
10-26-2011, 05:09 AM
Not Likely seems to be the mantra for Dist of Doom...who would have ever thought that us beating Carthage this year...Not Likely

I think most felt Gilmer would beat Carthage..Gilmer had more coming back including the skill positions...IMO the last two season there really have not been alot of surprises until last week when the top teams have played each other in the district

Gonzo
10-26-2011, 09:53 AM
So if Henderson beats Gilmer this week. Isn't there a possiblity of Tri-Champs?

Gilmer beat Carthage
Carthage beat Henderson
and Henderson possibly beating Gilmer?

That would make Henderson Div 1
Gilmer Div 2 #1 seed
Carthage Div 2 #2 seed

Am I correct on this? Somebody check my logic....

District of Doom sure could be squirly heading into Halloween week where anything crazy can happen....

cowboyandchrist
10-26-2011, 10:23 AM

Gilmer beat Carthage
Carthage beat Henderson

Gilmer Div 2 #1 seed
Carthage Div 2 #2 seed

District of Doom sure could be squirly heading into Halloween week where anything crazy can happen....

If Henderson beats Gilmer by more than three points, Carthage would be the district champ

buckeyebob
10-27-2011, 05:24 AM

Gilmer beat Carthage
Carthage beat Henderson

Gilmer Div 2 #1 seed
Carthage Div 2 #2 seed

You are correct...and if Henderson takes Friday night & Pittsburg does the same next week, we are playing Round Ball & rightly so!

Buckeye80
10-27-2011, 02:27 PM
The Henderson O-line is not very good. That is going to be the key in this. If we can get in Del Barnes' face every play and force them to go to the screen and draw game, we should be fine. If we give him time to survey the field, he is more than capable of picking our young secondary apart.
I look for the Buckeyes to be very physical in this one and try to intimidate the Lions. Here's to hopin.

buckeyebob
10-28-2011, 11:14 PM
All the if 1 beats 2, then...Buckeyes handed Henderson a spanking 35 - 20...Buckeyes are 9-0 (still have Pittsburg next Friday...they were beat by Spring Hill tonight)...the Buckeyes are the District of Doom's new KING (you may kiss the ring now) and undesputed champ...and for all the naysayers...
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_x2PHeo7sDKg/S_5-d-AtSVI/AAAAAAAAAd8/ZxWy6loyJ0o/s1600/EatCrow

Buckeye80
10-29-2011, 12:07 AM
Buckeye defense had four fumble recoveries and four interceptions. I don't care who you are playing. Eight turnovers spells doom for your offense.

lostaussie
10-29-2011, 06:39 AM
Other than the 1st 6 or 7 minutes of the game..........WE OWNED THIS ONE. Henderson QB not liking all the pressure that was put on him. Buckeyes played a really good game. After a year out we are back where we are suppossed to be. KINGS of 16-AAA. Good job Bucks:clap::clap:

Txbroadcaster
10-29-2011, 07:37 AM
Other than the 1st 6 or 7 minutes of the game..........WE OWNED THIS ONE. Henderson QB not liking all the pressure that was put on him. Buckeyes played a really good game. After a year out we are back where we are suppossed to be. KINGS of 16-AAA. Good job Bucks:clap::clap:

ahem..I told all you Gilmer fans this is not the same Henderson team and you would win and it would not be close

cowboyandchrist
10-29-2011, 08:02 AM
I did not think Gilmer could beat Henderson with out Turner and I thought Henderson was a better team than they were. Congrats to Gilmer, I am on the bandwagon until or if you play the Dawgs again. If the Dawgs don't make it far enough to play you again, I will be there to support the Buckeyes. We need to keep the trophy in East Texas. My picks to make deep runs are Gilmer, Carthage in D2 and Chapell Hill and Lindale in D1. Gilmer and Chapell Hill are the only teams they have been consistent from East Texas. Once again congrats to Gilmer for being the king of the district of doom this year.

buckeyebob
10-29-2011, 08:38 AM
ahem..I told all you Gilmer fans this is not the same Henderson team and you would win and it would not be close

I am thinking that we will probably play Atlanta week after next...perhaps we can talk you into a return.

Buckeye80
10-29-2011, 11:53 PM
I am thinking that we will probably play Atlanta week after next...perhaps we can talk you into a return.

Gilmer vs Atlanta @ Lobo Stadium is the word on the street.

Of course, should Atlanta beat Paris, we will play LE. Am I correct on that?

buckeyebob
10-30-2011, 06:12 AM
Gilmer vs Atlanta @ Lobo Stadium is the word on the street.

Of course, should Atlanta beat Paris, we will play LE. Am I correct on that?

I'm quoting you...makes sense & I have no other info to base a different decision on.

Aesculus gilmus
10-30-2011, 09:45 AM
I'm quoting you...makes sense & I have no other info to base a different decision on.

Right now Paris is 4-0 in that district. LE is 3-1 and Atlanta is 3-1.

LE plays Mount Vernon. I am going to predict an LE win in that one so they'll be 4-1.

If Atlanta beats Paris, we have a 3-way tie for first at 4-1.

However, LE beat Atlanta 21-20. So I would say that logically LE would still be the first seed in Division II and would still play Carthage, our district's second seed in Division II (as of now; I still see a way Carthage could go Division I if Gladewater and Henderson wind up 2-3 and tied for third).

Gilmer is assured of being the first seed out of our district in Division II no matter what. So it looks like we will play Atlanta no matter what happens Friday. I could be wrong, but someone will have to show me where.

Buckeye80
10-30-2011, 10:16 AM
Right now Paris is 4-0 in that district. LE is 3-1 and Atlanta is 3-1.

LE plays Mount Vernon. I am going to predict an LE win in that one so they'll be 4-1.

If Atlanta beats Paris, we have a 3-way tie for first at 4-1.

However, LE beat Atlanta 21-20. So I would say that logically LE would still be the first seed in Division II and would still play Carthage, our district's second seed in Division II (as of now; I still see a way Carthage could go Division I if Gladewater and Henderson wind up 2-3 and tied for third).

Gilmer is assured of being the first seed out of our district in Division II no matter what. So it looks like we will play Atlanta no matter what happens Friday. I could be wrong, but someone will have to show me where.

Right now, Paris is at (+10), Liberty-Eylau is at (-9), and Atlanta is at (-1). So if Atlanta beats Paris by 6, Atlanta should win the 3-way tie. At least, that is how I understand the rule. Again, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I also don't know how DII Champ and DII Runner up is determined in this scenario. If the points are used, we could still play LE in the first round. If not, Atlanta it is.

Txbroadcaster
10-30-2011, 10:46 AM
Right now, Paris is at (+10), Liberty-Eylau is at (-9), and Atlanta is at (-1). So if Atlanta beats Paris by 6, Atlanta should win the 3-way tie. At least, that is how I understand the rule. Again, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I also don't know how DII Champ and DII Runner up is determined in this scenario. If the points are used, we could still play LE in the first round. If not, Atlanta it is.

almost every district i can think of use head to head when it comes to seeds..Paris is not part of that equation since they are DI for sure...so it comes down to head to head between LE and Atlanta

Buckeye80
10-30-2011, 12:55 PM
almost every district i can think of use head to head when it comes to seeds..Paris is not part of that equation since they are DI for sure...so it comes down to head to head between LE and Atlanta

Makes sense. I just didn't know. The UIL doesn't recognize head to head in determining district champions as they are content with "co-championships". I didn't know if that same logic applied. So even if Atanta beats Paris by 7 pts and wins the district, they go in as the DII Runner-up by virtue of a one pt loss to Liberty-Eylau?? Is that what you're saying Terry??

Txbroadcaster
10-30-2011, 02:25 PM
Makes sense. I just didn't know. The UIL doesn't recognize head to head in determining district champions as they are content with "co-championships". I didn't know if that same logic applied. So even if Atanta beats Paris by 7 pts and wins the district, they go in as the DII Runner-up by virtue of a one pt loss to Liberty-Eylau?? Is that what you're saying Terry??

They wont be the lone district champs..if all 3 end tie, then it is a Tri-district Champ..Paris goes D1..LE D2 seed 1..Atlanta D2 seed 2..all can claim district title..again I am going off what most districts have in their bylaws..i dont know this districts bylaw...I will try to find out

waterboy
10-31-2011, 09:34 AM
The only known right now is that it will be Atlanta OR Liberty-Eylau. If we play Atlanta it will be at Lobo Stadium. If we play L-E it will be in Royse City.

Aesculus gilmus
10-31-2011, 02:45 PM
The only known right now is that it will be Atlanta OR Liberty-Eylau. If we play Atlanta it will be at Lobo Stadium. If we play L-E it will be in Royse City.

I think the only way Mount Vernon would ever beat Liberty-Eylau would be via a forfeit. I am booking fare on the wagon train to Longview that night.

Well, there is one other way, the alleged "2008 La Vega Lay-Down for Lorena" but even if L-E were to try something like that so they could possibly play Gilmer rather than Carthage, they'd still have to count on Atlanta beating Paris. I am thinking L-E wants a piece of the 15-3A crown more than it wants to try to avoid playing Carthage.

Here's an account of that 2008 La Vega maneuver. The only reason I remember it is because the rumor at the time was Coach Williams wanted to go into Division I to avoid Gilmer. Instead, we played Mexia that round.

http://my.hsj.org/Schools/Newspaper/tabid/100/view/frontpage/schoolid/446/articleid/234753/newspaperid/422/Let_the_Controversy_Begin_as_Lorena_34Upsets34_La_ Vega_Robinson_Out_of_Playoffs_Cries_Foul.aspx

waterboy
10-31-2011, 03:35 PM
I think the only way Mount Vernon would ever beat Liberty-Eylau would be via a forfeit. I am booking fare on the wagon train to Longview that night.

Well, there is one other way, the alleged "2008 La Vega Lay-Down for Lorena" but even if L-E were to try something like that so they could possibly play Gilmer rather than Carthage, they'd still have to count on Atlanta beating Paris. I am thinking L-E wants a piece of the 15-3A crown more than it wants to try to avoid playing Carthage.

Here's an account of that 2008 La Vega maneuver. The only reason I remember it is because the rumor at the time was Coach Williams wanted to go into Division I to avoid Gilmer. Instead, we played Mexia that round.

http://my.hsj.org/Schools/Newspaper/tabid/100/view/frontpage/schoolid/446/articleid/234753/newspaperid/422/Let_the_Controversy_Begin_as_Lorena_34Upsets34_La_ Vega_Robinson_Out_of_Playoffs_Cries_Foul.aspx
I agree that it will be Atlanta @ Lobo Stadium in all likelihood, but mathematically there's still a chance it could be L-E, though that is an extremely small mathematical chance. That's why I said the only "given" is one of those two will be our first round opponent.

buckeyebob
10-31-2011, 04:38 PM
And as I understand, it will be @ 7:30PM on the 11th.