PDA

View Full Version : Caldwell @ La Grange

Pudlugger
10-22-2011, 03:10 PM
The hornets have had a tough year and come to La Grange to face a hungry Leopard team stalking a playoff berth to rescue a disappointing season. Fresh off a hard fought win against a determined Rockdale team the Leps need to get the win convincingly to keep the momentum going. It would be an opportunity for Caldwell to play the spoiler and catch the Leopards off guard for an upset. The Leps have played very good football with intensity the past three weeks and let us hope they don't take a nap next Friday night. Going back a few years in Leopard history to 2008. The Leps looked like they would clinch 3rd place in district and hosted a struggling Smithville and got their heads handed to them 38-0. Even though they went on to beat district champion Sealy in game 10 they stayed home and broke out the basket balls. Will the Leps get the needed win friday or will Caldwell end their hopes for a playoff appearance?

zebrablue2
10-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Leps by 30!!! Hornets are way down this yr.

gameface
10-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Leps by 24 first 1/2!! Let the b-team have fun and a-team savor the victory!! Smithville bound first friday in Nov.-got my gameface on!!

Bull's-eye
10-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Hornets shock the Leps! :eek: Just kidding, Leps win to keep their playoffs hopes alive.

HORNETFAN
10-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Let's go Hornets!! Let's end the season a high note!

Pudlugger
10-23-2011, 07:39 AM
Welcome aboard Hornetfan. Caldwell fans have been mostly silent this season sense their team has struggled. It's good to see some support from the community. The Leps too have struggled losing 5 games in a row including two narrow loses to top rated teams. It wasn't until last Friday that they got their second win of the season against Rockdale. This game will be an opportunity to gauge the level of concentration the team has and whether or not they can perform consistently from one game to the next irrespective of the level of the competition.

HEMOTOXIC
10-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Welcome aboard Hornetfan. Caldwell fans have been mostly silent this season sense their team has struggled. It's good to see some support from the community. The Leps too have struggled losing 5 games in a row including two narrow loses to top rated teams. It wasn't until last Friday that they got their second win of the season against Rockdale. This game will be an opportunity to gauge the level of concentration the team has and whether or not they can perform consistently from one game to the next irrespective of the level of the competition.

True. I think Hornetfan is the second Caldwell fan that I have seen all season. I haven't seen the other since the beginning of the season. Normally, Caldwell is well represented.

Pudlugger
10-24-2011, 04:37 PM
Is Caldwell still running the slot t or did they go to the spread this year? Last year they had two really good running backs and they beat us in OT in a high scoring game. Time for some payback now.

VWG
10-24-2011, 04:57 PM
They are still running the ball.
Their avg. passing yards per game is only 28 yards.

Manso/V8
10-24-2011, 09:18 PM
They are still running the ball.
Their avg. passing yards per game is only 28 yards.

The first game of the season, they ran the spread against Bellville, and then slipped in to the Slot-T a few times.
They moved the ball better against us with the Slot-T, maybe because the players were more accustomed to that
system.

Pudlugger
10-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Thanks Manso. The Lep defense is very strong against the run but has struggled against the pass. The Navasota passing game was what beat us. Also, against Rockdale their qb and wrs almost pulled off a fourth quarter come back but our D firmed up and held. I wouldn't be surprised if Caldwell comes out in the spread and throws the ball against us Friday. Hope the Lep coaches are working on beefing up the defensive secondary if they want to make it to the play offs. Go Leps!

Manso/V8
10-25-2011, 02:25 PM
Thanks Manso. The Lep defense is very strong against the run but has struggled against the pass. The Navasota passing game was what beat us. Also, against Rockdale their qb and wrs almost pulled off a fourth quarter come back but our D firmed up and held. I wouldn't be surprised if Caldwell comes out in the spread and throws the ball against us Friday. Hope the Lep coaches are working on beefing up the defensive secondary if they want to make it to the play offs. Go Leps!

I looked back at a previous thread where I asked if Caldwell was sticking to the change to the Spread, and the reply was that the Hornets mix it up between the Spread and Slot-T. They said that the Caldwell OC, Jeff Rodgers, was the Navasota OC in 2010. With the close games yall played against Giddings and Navasota, I think the Leps will roll over the Hornets. Spread or not, I don't think Caldwell has the athletes this year. Good luck on your quest for a District 23 berth, it is about the most exciting and surprising thing going on in sports 'round these parts! Hopefully we will be cussin' and discussin' a Round One Bellville-La Grange rematch.

hookandladder
10-25-2011, 03:19 PM
I looked back at a previous thread where I asked if Caldwell was sticking to the change to the Spread, and the reply was that the Hornets mix it up between the Spread and Slot-T. They said that the Caldwell OC, Jeff Rodgers, was the Navasota OC in 2010. With the close games yall played against Giddings and Navasota, I think the Leps will roll over the Hornets. Spread or not, I don't think Caldwell has the athletes this year. Good luck on your quest for a District 23 berth, it is about the most exciting and surprising thing going on in sports 'round these parts! Hopefully we will be cussin' and discussin' a Round One Bellville-La Grange rematch.

We would love to a another shot at you guys but first things first, we have to play well and get a little help.

87 TIGER
10-25-2011, 03:35 PM
We would love to a another shot at you guys but first things first, we have to play well and get a little help.You guys needing a little help from us Tigers? You got it

hookandladder
10-25-2011, 03:38 PM
You guys needing a little help from us Tigers? You got it

We will take all the help we can get,sorry we did not get to Tailgate. Next year.

87 TIGER
10-25-2011, 03:43 PM
We will take all the help we can get,sorry we did not get to Tailgate. Next year.If were in the same dist., if not maybe in non dist or playoffs. Thats if we stay 3a if they move the numbers on the bottom 35-40 we may be in 2a. wow never thought i'd see the day.

Pudlugger
10-26-2011, 11:08 AM
The Leps are healthy and looking forward to Friday when they can get some payback for the OT loss to the Hornets last year. Go Leps!

HEMOTOXIC
10-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Caldwell Hornets at La Grange Leopards

Records: Caldwell 1-7 (0-3 in 23-3A); La Grange 2-6 (1-2 in 23-3A)

Last year: Caldwell 48, La Grange 41

Last week: Navasota 52, Caldwell 14; La Grange 24, Rockdale 14

Radio: 107.3 FM KLTR

Harris Ratings pick: La Grange by 25 points

Next: Smithville at La Grange; Caldwell at Rockdale

buff4ever
10-26-2011, 02:58 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Caldwell pull this one out. JK, LG wins this one by as much as they want, will prolly pull back 2nd half to save up for a talented Smithville team.

Pudlugger
10-26-2011, 07:33 PM
What's up with the Hornets this year? They have been kicking butt for the past 7 years and now they're 0-8? I don't get it. Better not go in asleep Leps and suffer ridicule if the Hornets wake up. No trap game Friday! Get the win.

Roughneck93
10-26-2011, 07:36 PM
LG by 21.

87 TIGER
10-27-2011, 01:46 AM
Come on Hornets!! Only way for the Tigers to get in is for Caldwell to beat LG and force a 3 way tie with Giddings LG and Rockdale for 3rd.

gameface
10-28-2011, 08:16 AM
BZZZZZZ---No epinephrin needed tonight-Leps have plenty of oxygen-so, no shock just a GOCAW predicted for Leps at home!!

Pudlugger
10-28-2011, 09:57 AM
Game day is here. The Leps are pumped and ready for some hard hitting football. The season will be salvaged with the win tonight and keeping alive a shot at the playoffs next week. Go Leps! Beat Caldwell!

Pudlugger
10-28-2011, 10:15 PM
Leps 42 Caldwell 12 final. Leps dominated in all aspects against a small but fiesty Hornet team. This was a good tune up for the really big game next week in Smithville. Appaqrently the Tigers have been brought down to earth by the dangerous Rattlers.

Leps need to take the intensity to the next level and plow their way to the playoffs as the winner from D23 going to DII(DC Champion Navasota to DI) with 4+ point win over Smithville. That would put them in the lower bracket with both Coldspring and Bellville in the upper bracket of Region 3. That would mean a first round match with Columbus.

Saggy Aggie
10-28-2011, 10:23 PM
IS LG in or do they need to beat Smithville?

Pudlugger
10-28-2011, 10:34 PM
IS LG in or do they need to beat Smithville?
Need to beat Smithville which they will do.

gameface
10-29-2011, 06:55 AM
Leps played good ball to finish the task at hand. I felt like the Mightly Leps played down a hair and did not play as sharp and intense as against G-boys and Snakes. Caldwell had a few natural athletes that broke a few longer runs, however, Leps played excellent defense. It was nice to see our JV QB have some playtime the 4th Q!! LG has too many threats on offense for Smithville to compete next week in my opinion. And I'm sure this game will be freaking intense-just the way I like it. Oh, and lastly, our defense will not allow any major point fest----our defense will win next weeks game at TigerCountry!!!! Leps have GAMEFACE on!!

Pudlugger
10-29-2011, 10:04 AM
Gameface I agree our defense is very good against the run. Last night the middle did get burned twice on some stunts allowing two long td runs. I bet they will not let that happen against SV. I was impressed how the D cranked up following that last Hornet td when they crushed the Hornet o line and stuffed the qb time after time. I guess the coach had a word with the mlbs and dts LOL. If the Leps can put the pressure on the Tiger QB like they have been doing the past 2 games that will take away a big dimension for the Smithville offense.[Hope they practice defending the screen pass and draw plays well this week.]

What I saw last night that I really liked was:

How well QB Vinklarek read the defenses and ran for big gains rather than risk an interception by forcing the ball into tight coverage. His running adds a big weapon to our offense.

#88 soph WR Tezano has to be the big story for the Lep offense this past 4 games. He has great hands and his success has lifted the other receivers as they all are playing so much better than the pre-district follies.

The strong running from #22 Read, #20 Supak and #40 Bradshaw opened up the offense to keep the momentun and drives going especially on several 5-7 yard gainers on first down

The coaches went a little deeper into the play book last night revealing some dandy plays that should come in handy as the competition now gets much more intense.

Our special team play has finally arrived with 6 PATS by our young soph kicker Cerda, one blocked PAT and one partially blocked punt. Also the coaches have yielded to fan pressure and put speedster freshman #5 Henderson back to field punts. BTW his kick off returns last night were impressive. He may break one next week.

The Caldwell game was an opportunity to build on our experience and confidence going into the biggest game of all next Friday. Great job Leps now get'r done and beat Smithville.