PDA

View Full Version : for those who play with massey ratings...

trojandad
10-21-2011, 08:45 AM
in 3a...

1) coldspring
2) gilmer
3) alvarado
4) wimberley
5) henderson
6) chapel hill
7) argyle
8) lavega
9) celina
10) van

they must really be hitting chapel hill hard for their injuries....

MGAR
10-21-2011, 08:58 AM
in 3a...

1) coldspring
2) gilmer
3) alvarado
4) wimberley
5) henderson
6) chapel hill
7) argyle
8) lavega
9) celina
10) van

Only the QB is still injured.

His replacement has gone 66 of 92 for 1072 yards, 20 TDs in 5 games.

wimbo_pro
10-21-2011, 09:08 AM
in 3a...

1) coldspring
2) gilmer
3) alvarado
4) wimberley
5) henderson
6) chapel hill
7) argyle
8) lavega
9) celina
10) van

Massey doesnt look at injuries...only the facts, ma'am. Nothing to do with the future, only the past stats, including stength of schedules.

MGAR
10-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Massey doesnt look at injuries...only the facts, ma'am. Nothing to do with the future, only the past stats, including stength of schedules.

Then Chapel Hill for sure should be higher.

wimbo_pro
10-21-2011, 10:15 AM

It's all based on stats, and they are what they are. Maybe its the schedule that has them lower....dunno. I got a good understandinjg of Massey's system when I read their methodology on the website. I really like this approach, totally based on actual numbers. I consider it the most accurate once we reach the play off weeks.

MGAR
10-21-2011, 10:55 AM
It's all based on stats, and they are what they are. Maybe its the schedule that has them lower....dunno. I got a good understandinjg of Massey's system when I read their methodology on the website. I really like this approach, totally based on actual numbers. I consider it the most accurate once we reach the play off weeks.

Stats? Ok..

Chapel Hill averages 525 yards per game. Scores 47 a game.

That's pretty darn good.

Schedule? More than holds it's own.. Nothing against Coldspring but they can tell you that they haven't played anyone.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about them being ranked this low. Just disagreeing with it.

Old LB
10-21-2011, 10:56 AM
in 3a...

1) coldspring
2) gilmer
3) alvarado
4) wimberley
5) henderson
6) chapel hill
7) argyle
8) lavega
9) celina
10) van

Looks like ya'll are getting that pat on the back you were wondering about earlier in the year, congrats.

wimbo_pro
10-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Stats? Ok..

Chapel Hill averages 525 yards per game. Scores 47 a game.

That's pretty darn good.

Schedule? More than holds it's own.. Nothing against Coldspring but they can tell you that they haven't played anyone.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about them being ranked this low. Just disagreeing with it.

I havent looked into it myself lately, but if you check out the reason, that might be helpful in understanding why. What is their offense rating? Their defense? Their schedule? One of the other two must be dragging them down, if their offense is that powerful.

MGAR
10-21-2011, 11:15 AM
I havent looked into it myself lately, but if you check out the reason, that might be helpful in understanding why. What is their offense rating? Their defense? Their schedule? One of the other two must be dragging them down, if their offense is that powerful.

My guess is it's gotta be defense.. They have given up some points...

BILLYFRED0000
10-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Yeah it is defense and strength of sched. defense is 48 in 3a and s of s is 23. Their of is rated 4.

wimbo_pro
10-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Yeah it is defense and strength of sched. defense is 48 in 3a and s of s is 23. Their of is rated 4.

There ya go.lots of points scored against versus a not-so-tough schedule, based on the individual results of each of the teams played.

trojandad
10-21-2011, 12:19 PM
My guess is it's gotta be defense.. They have given up some points...

:iagree: not that their defense is anywhere near bad, but some out here said i was just seeing things in their defensive numbers....

and thanks, old lb, but to be fair to the others, we did jump 13 places the last game...to have 53 pts on splendora at half was better than we did even against lower schools like tarkington and shepherd....even after watching this steam roller all year, the splendora game had everyone on our side saying WOW!!!

buff4ever
10-21-2011, 02:06 PM
This is the best, not bullet proof, but best way of viewing a ranking system. It recalculates each and every week, and accounts for what your past opponents keep doing as well.

Saggy Aggie
10-21-2011, 02:23 PM
:iagree: not that their defense is anywhere near bad, but some out here said i was just seeing things in their defensive numbers.... to a point, you were seeing things. their defense was giving up a lot of yards and points early on, but they had like their 4 best defensive players on the sideline for like 6 weeks. They still managed to win, although not pretty.

They should start putting together some nice defensive games now that that unit is in tact.

trojandad
10-21-2011, 02:37 PM
to a point, you were seeing things. their defense was giving up a lot of yards and points early on, but they had like their 4 best defensive players on the sideline for like 6 weeks. They still managed to win, although not pretty.

They should start putting together some nice defensive games now that that unit is in tact.

listen, i dont have to be sold on chapel hill, if g2 says he saw superior athletes there when compared to us, i buy it...for us, tho, i can compare it to last year...we turned on offensively at the orangefield game, they werent a bad team at all, ended up almost turning the apple cart over in 22 3a before it was all done, but on that game it was obvious that this offense of ours finally "got it", and it wasnt just a big win, it was a win that barbay really had to turn the dogs off...

the same thing seemed to have happened these last two weeks with splendora and cleveland...these guys got handled the same way as shepherd and tarkington while having much better athletes and scheme than those other schools, but this time not so much on our offensive side of the ball but with our defense...if i had a penny for each time those two games id hear "its 4th and a bunch" id be as wealthy as my engineer wife....it is like the other team just quit blocking, yet they didnt....the defense finally seems to get how each guy's movements affects the next guy coming and filling for him, that the defensive scheme is now as obvious as the rushing scheme has become on the other side of the ball...then when i saw the jump in places (no doubt as you said, due to other teams we beat showing better and better) i took it that somebody else was seeing it too....

OldNavy
10-21-2011, 02:46 PM

Dave Campbell has Chapel Hill at number one. I don't know how Dave come's up with their ranking.

Massey used a lot of math to arrive at a fairly simple score rating program. It is very objective and they believe over a season the scores will, in and of themselves, take care of the injury, weather, and etc. Points for, Points Against and Strength of Schedule are the big indicators and after a season of playing, the teams the computer ranks as being pretty close, usually are. Massey ranks Chapel Hill at number eight.

MaxPreps uses the Freeman Rankings. Similar in some ways to Massey, but I believe they make a few different assumptions, but computer based and objective results based. MasPreps ranks Chapel Hill number 3.

Another example of differences in rankings is the upcoming match up between Lindale and Van.
Dave Campbell ranks Lindale - #10 and Van - #23
Massey ranks Lindale - #15 and Van - #12
MaxPreps ranks Lindale - #13 and Van - #12

The two computer rankings give Van a very small edge in a tight, tight battle. Dave Campbell gives a pretty good nod to Lindale. Again, I don't know what Dave Campbell uses for his rankings. Perhaps someone knows about them. It could be a poll. I just don't know.

wimbo_pro
10-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Old Navy...I think Massey's uses ONLY math and statistics, right? No opinions at all...no intangibles, just pure stats. Please correct me if I am wrong.

OldNavy
10-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Old Navy...I think Massey's uses ONLY math and statistics, right? No opinions at all...no intangibles, just pure stats. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Six or eight years ago, I came across his math and assumptions. They may have changed. My memmory may not be exact, but as I recall, he used Pts for and Pts against with an upper point limit like 45 or 50 points. I think the only thing he might have assumed in his projections was a 3 point edge for home field advantage. I also think at that time he would start the season with team ranked at where they finished the season before. Again, he was not considering who was coming back and who graduated. After three or four games, the strength of the teams would work themselves out and at the end of the season, where a team started had no bearing on their rank.

Your team can move up or down in the rankings during a bye week because of the performance of teams you already played. If you beat a team early, that beats a team that was ranked ahead of them, your own teams rankings can go up some because your opponents stringth went up.

Over the years, I assume he has made refinements, but the basics are PF, PA and SOS. Of course he used a lot of math and data to prove his results. They are totally objective and seem to work pretty well especially after teams have played a number of opponents. Eight games into the season there is a huge number of data points to get pretty good evaluations of a teams strength.

OldNavy
10-21-2011, 03:17 PM

Shorter version. Yes.

trojandad
10-21-2011, 03:20 PM
my motives were simpler, ive never in my days, ever seen a poll with us at #1...was very humbling...

you guys forget, my wife is gonna have us out of state next football season....i know this is no reason for others to root for us, but this might be my last rodeo for coldspring football for a season in the near future....i just want one...lol

OldNavy
10-21-2011, 03:33 PM
my motives were simpler, ive never in my days, ever seen a poll with us at #1...was very humbling...

you guys forget, my wife is gonna have us out of state next football season....i know this is no reason for others to root for us, but this might be my last rodeo for coldspring football for a season in the near future....i just want one...lol

I follow Celina pretty closely from Florida. Listen to the games on the internet and keep up with coaches and friends on Facebook. I try and get back for a couple of games each year. It's not the same as every Friday and traveling for the Playoffs, but I like it better than reading box scores.

trojandad
10-21-2011, 03:39 PM
I follow Celina pretty closely from Florida. Listen to the games on the internet and keep up with coaches and friends on Facebook. I try and get back for a couple of games each year. It's not the same as every Friday and traveling for the Playoffs, but I like it better than reading box scores.

i sure hope, but after years of heading booster clubs, watching your boy put on the wall of honor, so many ups and downs, coach peveto passing away in mid season...its gonna be hard....man oh man....