PDA

View Full Version : Sideline To Sideline Week 8

Txbroadcaster
10-19-2011, 08:20 PM
We do things a little different

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1255035

Roughneck93
10-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Good show guys. Like the results of your region rankings!

HEMOTOXIC
10-19-2011, 09:41 PM
I just finished listening as well. Good job! It's good that we get to hear about other teams and regions as the playoffs near.

'Necks 2013-14
10-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Just like a little kid likes steak.....WELL DONE!!!

Saggy Aggie
10-19-2011, 11:06 PM
So Wc didn't disappoint then?

Good to hear.

trojandad
10-19-2011, 11:43 PM
just so im on record (and the crow goes down good), my bet is there isnt a "coldspring" going to show itself this year...my bet is the gap between the so called tier 1 and 2 teams is greater than you guys believe...i realize injuries can change things but there seem to be, at least to me, miles between some upper level teams and the ones just under them...

i do agree that region 2 is the big dog in the hunt, but with far fewer upper echilon teams than you guys consider....i think years like this we'll see the carthages, hendersons and gilmers use that experience from years past over good teams like van, prosper, etc once playoff time gets here....

i understand you guys have a lot of people to keep happy out here, but, for instance, in the case of reg 3 last year, it was kind of ignored the margin of victory between most of the playoff wins we had, save and except for k'ville....we shouldnt have been playing regional final games with the same gap of victory (or even larger) than we were winning early round games, but we were....its obviously an arguable point but size of victory pretty well shows it was us and k'ville last year in reg 3, maybe navasota, but all else fell pretty sharply afterward....with cuero being off it appears wimberley and sealy (though id like to see them with a better record elsewhere than just the wimberley game) are dancing away with reg 4 as well...

i just think that mental wall is a tough one to break thru, when one has a psychological edge on someone....we could easily be facing carthage again in the finals, and have as dominating a team as we had last year but those guys are gonna look much bigger than they are just because of last year's bombathon......that same appearance is whats gonna be so difficult for your "tier 2" teams in reg 2 to break thru...they may do it, but my $1 bet is they dont, and its two familiar names in the d II reg 2 finals....and the two dominating teams from the others....but lets see how good crow tastes....

Saggy Aggie
10-20-2011, 12:06 AM
just so im on record (and the crow goes down good), my bet is there isnt a "coldspring" going to show itself this year...my bet is the gap between the so called tier 1 and 2 teams is greater than you guys believe...i realize injuries can change things but there seem to be, at least to me, miles between some upper level teams and the ones just under them...

i do agree that region 2 is the big dog in the hunt, but with far fewer upper echilon teams than you guys consider....i think years like this we'll see the carthages, hendersons and gilmers use that experience from years past over good teams like van, prosper, etc once playoff time gets here....

i understand you guys have a lot of people to keep happy out here, but, for instance, in the case of reg 3 last year, it was kind of ignored the margin of victory between most of the playoff wins we had, save and except for k'ville....we shouldnt have been playing regional final games with the same gap of victory (or even larger) than we were winning early round games, but we were....its obviously an arguable point but size of victory pretty well shows it was us and k'ville last year in reg 3, maybe navasota, but all else fell pretty sharply afterward....with cuero being off it appears wimberley and sealy (though id like to see them with a better record elsewhere than just the wimberley game) are dancing away with reg 4 as well...

i just think that mental wall is a tough one to break thru, when one has a psychological edge on someone....we could easily be facing carthage again in the finals, and have as dominating a team as we had last year but those guys are gonna look much bigger than they are just because of last year's bombathon......that same appearance is whats gonna be so difficult for your "tier 2" teams in reg 2 to break thru...they may do it, but my $1 bet is they dont, and its two familiar names in the d II reg 2 finals....and the two dominating teams from the others....but lets see how good crow tastes....

Navasota had a damn good team last year imo, but chapel hill was THAT good. IMO, 2011 CS is leaps and bounds better than 2010 CS. I don't think CS would have fared any better against Chill than Navasota or WC did last year. 2011 CS however, i can see winning it all. You guys have more than proved yourself this year and have thoroughly convinced me.

I agree that the gap is bigger than what grant and txb say though. I think teams like CS tier1 (a) this year are much better than the tier1 (b) schools.

trojandad
10-20-2011, 12:12 AM
Navasota had a damn good team last year imo, but chapel hill was THAT good. IMO, 2011 CS is leaps and bounds better than 2010 CS. I don't think CS would have fared any better against Chill than Navasota or WC did last year. 2011 CS however, i can see winning it all. You guys have more than proved yourself this year and have thoroughly convinced me.

I agree that the gap is bigger than what grant and txb say though. I think teams like CS tier1 (a) this year are much better than the tier1 (b) schools.

i sure hope your right about us....

but as for last years navasota, while i still believe chapel hill was the best team last year, i do think that if navasota played them ten more times, they wouldnt have lost any of them as badly as they lost that one game against the hill....do you agree or disagree?

Saggy Aggie
10-20-2011, 01:40 AM

but as for last years navasota, while i still believe chapel hill was the best team last year, i do think that if navasota played them ten more times, they wouldnt have lost any of them as badly as they lost that one game against the hill....do you agree or disagree? I can't say for sure because I didn't watch the game but I know first hand how good chapel hill was and in 10 chances, I think the rattlers might have won once, and the same for WC. I'll be the first to admit chill just straight up spanked us in arguably our best year ever. I was amazed by the chill team.

If we played them again 10 times, I'm pretty sure they'd beat us thoroughly at least 7-8 times unless we caught some major breaks. I think it's one of the top 5 3A teams I've seen and they didn't even win it all. I'd hate to meet up with a healthy chill team this year too.

bobcat1
10-20-2011, 05:03 AM
Great show Grant and Terry.:clap:

Txbroadcaster
10-20-2011, 05:50 AM
[QUOTE=trojandad;1622749]just so im on record (and the crow goes down good), my bet is there isnt a "coldspring" going to show itself this year...QUOTE]

I thought that last year but we had 3 of them in CS, CH and Henderson

Gsquared
10-20-2011, 06:31 AM

I agree with the gap in Regions 3 and 4, big big gap between the top and middle but theres a lurker in Region 2 somewhwere that could easily make a showing. Hang tight until tomorrow night and see what Van does against Lindale. If Van chokes on thier chili or Lindale spanks them, then I might backoff of the outsider thing a lil bit :) Maybe the outsider wont be a total unknown though, it might be someone like Van or Prosper, who you just never expected to be playing in Arlington at the end of the year.

Gsquared
10-20-2011, 06:35 AM

but as for last years navasota, while i still believe chapel hill was the best team last year, i do think that if navasota played them ten more times, they wouldnt have lost any of them as badly as they lost that one game against the hill....do you agree or disagree?
I saw Navasota/CH game last year and this is no knock on Navasota but if the played 10 times, CH would have won 10 times. Chapel Hill/Navasota last year, looked alot like Alvarado/Kennedale THIS year.

HEMOTOXIC
10-20-2011, 07:39 AM
Everything that could go wrong last year against CHILL did go wrong. Can I say that we could have beat CHILL last year, probably not. But, I think if we had some familiarality with the Bulldogs, things may have been different. It was the same way back when we started playing Giddings. The Buffaloes just stampeded the Rattlers in the beginning. Yes, the Buffaloes were very good back in the early 2000s, but, once we got familiar with Giddings, the beatings weren't so bad.

As far as this year's Navasota team goes, I like that we are not getting the attention that past Rattler teams got. We loss to Willis by 7. Willis is a 4a team that will make the playoffs. I have to point out that we gave up those 35 points against the Wildkats all in the first half. In our other close game, in which it was a win, was La Grange last week. We won 27-26 in overtimes. But, IMO, this game should not have been that close. I belive that we were up 20-9 going into the 4th Q. In addition, our two top RB's didn't play that game. We never got a running game going, and folks wonder why La Grange held Navasota to less than 300 yards. It's easy to beat a team when you are going to be one dimensional. Not to take anything away from La Grange, but, Navasota was their won biggest enemy last Friday. I am not sure what is going on in Rattler Nation and why Fedora is not playing his two top backs, but, those two have been a huge part o the Rattler offense leading into the La Grange game.

This years Rattler team isn't flashy, but, they work as a whole to get the job done. No individual players are standing out, but, you get Byrd (RB), Horn (RB), and Malek (RB) all taking turns in the back field make for a great trio.. Unfortunately, only Malek has been playing the most in the games against Rockdale and La Grange. We have to get Byrd and Horn back in the lineup if were are going to make it out of the first round.

trojandad
10-20-2011, 07:41 AM
i know guys, and please dont think im talking from any position of experience or expertise, i was just makin talk we could laugh about either way once the final shoe drops...i had several views from my corner of the world last year that i didnt say due to such things as loyalties, not wanting to sound braggish, etc, but here are the things i feel shaped last year, at least from reg 3 viewpoint....

1) reggie dying....wo-s would have been a huge factor in who came from dII in our region...i fully expected round 2 with that incredible playoff game we had with them the year before, they had a monster passing team with reg and his passing just took the wind outta coach's sails, as we saw in his unexpected retirement....he really loved that guy....

2) w/out meaning any disrespect but truthfully speaking, that left kirbyville as the class of dII, reg 3, we were a full step under them, would LOVE to say otherwise, but it was the truth....alvarez IMHO coached the worst, most self serving game i ever saw him coach, or anyone frankly...id love to know if he left voluntarily or was asked to leave, because THAT team should have been in arlington, not us....

3) sometimes (and i already know we disagree on this point) we pick probable finalists from good seasons the year before, and LORD knows if anyone gets that its coldspring, as weve caught 3 teams on multi year runs each time weve gone, but teams making it to the 1st 3 or 4 levels of playoffs can easily be just that level of team...the year before last we "lost" to lorena in the 3rd round just before playing carthage in the next round....now i woulda loved the chance to have a shot at them that year but if i had to bet the mortgage i would have bet against us that year against them, we should (and selishly we did) have beaten lorena but that was the level our cream should have risen that year....

i wont call out individual teams so as to not start a fight, but IMO some of those teams you named in reg 2 as being "tier 2" teams in reg 2 understand they are in the growth process, as we were the year before and even last year, save and except for a FAR untimely death and an incredibly foolish coaching decision...the year before barbay took our best rb, didnt run him all year but put him as db, moved substantial beef to the o line, put gilbert at rb from wr and created 2 - 2,000 yd rushers....this year he reduced varsity to 28 bodies, moved a great freshman class of runners to take the wear and tear off the super fast guys, and switched the majority of their time to defense after the carthage lollipop bombs that connected.....its all a maturation process, many times from the coaches learning how best to use their talent as much as having the talent....

if any of your tier 2 teams make the finals (outside of unexpected reasons as i explained happened to us last year) ill gladly tip my hat to you, but ch, henderson and us were only surprises if your source was ap, campbell, etc, cause a preseason coachs get together had our coaches picking henderson to take it all, blew me away....

anyway, good springboard for debate....

Gsquared
10-20-2011, 07:55 AM
Your right, great springboard, think thats what makes these things so fun! I think the outsider will be in Region 2 Div 2, I expect Henderson/CH to play in Arlington.

trojandad
10-20-2011, 08:06 AM
Your right, great springboard, think thats what makes these things so fun! I think the outsider will be in Region 2 Div 2, I expect Henderson/CH to play in Arlington.

thats how id bet my mortgage, but ill bet you a rack of floridas ribs that if they face either navasota or wc it wont be the blowout it was last year, at the very least...could be wrong tho....

Gsquared
10-20-2011, 08:12 AM
thats how id bet my mortgage, but ill bet you a rack of floridas ribs that if they face either navasota or wc it wont be the blowout it was last year, at the very least...could be wrong tho....
Your right. I was pretty impressed with West Columbia last week. Only two things I saw that might hurt them is a quick D-line might give them some trouble and losing Ince, the QB, cant help. Anybody know his status? Didnt look good for him

trojandad
10-20-2011, 08:51 AM
Your right. I was pretty impressed with West Columbia last week. Only two things I saw that might hurt them is a quick D-line might give them some trouble and losing Ince, the QB, cant help. Anybody know his status? Didnt look good for him

i didnt know they lost him.....eeeeek.....

Gsquared
10-20-2011, 08:57 AM
i didnt know they lost him.....eeeeek.....
He went out with what looked like a knee injury and mom was on the sideline hugging him and the coaches kept going over and consoling him (thats what it looked like) so I just assume his is out but who knows

Roughneck93
10-20-2011, 09:02 AM

G2, looks like Ince will be out for some time. Paper is reporting a torn meniscus. Treylon Johnican and Willis Johnson will be sharing snaps this Friday.

wimbo_pro
10-20-2011, 09:10 AM
Just listened to the show...good work guys. Sounds like the State Semi's of R3 vs. R4 should be a doozy! I hope we are there playing in it!

Gsquared
10-20-2011, 09:14 AM
G2, looks like Ince will be out for some time. Paper is reporting a torn meniscus. Treylon Johnican and Willis Johnson will be sharing snaps this Friday.
Oh ok. Johnican sure did look good!

Gsquared
10-20-2011, 09:21 AM
Just listened to the show...good work guys. Sounds like the State Semi's of R3 vs. R4 should be a doozy! I hope we are there playing in it!
Yer right sir! I think that R3/R4 semifinal will be a cant miss game!!!!

'Necks 2013-14
10-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Oh ok. Johnican sure did look good!Yeah, Treylon Johnican is IMO one of the top ten pure athletes in the whole state! He is just fun to watch.

Roughneck93
10-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Oh ok. Johnican sure did look good!

Yeah he'll be fine back there. He sort of brings to the table what we had last year with Daymond Lewis. Should get plenty of good work in on Friday against Palacios.

Gsquared
10-20-2011, 09:37 AM
Yeah, Treylon Johnican is IMO one of the top ten pure athletes in the whole state! He is just fun to watch.
Whats funny is, when you are outside of Region 4, like we are in the Metroplex, and you think of WC, all you think they have Floyd Bess and dont realize have such and athletic team outside of him until you actually get to see them play. Had I not gotten a chance to see WC play last week, I think I would have vastly underrated them. Not saying they are gonna win state but they can sure be in the mix if they are on thier game and keep the injury bug away.

Leopard4Life
10-20-2011, 09:38 AM
You mentioned Lovejoy on the show but didn't state if they were teir 2 or teir 3. You said Abilene Wylie was teir 2 in Region 1 and Lovejoy beat Wylie 21-17 after repeatedly shooting themselves in the foot with 17 penalties. Since Lovejoy is in Region 2 my guess would be that you guys put them as a teir 3. Is that correct?

trojandad
10-20-2011, 09:40 AM

sure sorry to hear....just hoping we dont have the same thing with our ng/pk, i havent seen him practicing and havent heard about him yet, but maybe they are just being careful with a bye week....

Roughneck93
10-20-2011, 09:48 AM
sure sorry to hear....just hoping we dont have the same thing with our ng/pk, i havent seen him practicing and havent heard about him yet, but maybe they are just being careful with a bye week....

Yeah you never want to lose any of these young men to any injuries. There is chance Ince returns in three to four weeks but you never know. Those dang knees are tricky.

Dub-C
10-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Whats funny is, when you are outside of Region 4, like we are in the Metroplex, and you think of WC, all you think they have Floyd Bess and dont realize have such and athletic team outside of him until you actually get to see them play. Had I not gotten a chance to see WC play last week, I think I would have vastly underrated them. Not saying they are gonna win state but they can sure be in the mix if they are on thier game and keep the injury bug away.

Treylon has 7 int's on the year with 1 maybe 2 taken back for TD's, he also has a couple of punts returns for TD's. Flannel has 969 yds rushing with 13 TD's. The defense has 15 int's and 10 fumble recoveries, an 19 sacks on the year so far, with Swanks who has 5, he also has a int. from DE position returned for a TD. Also Bess and Wilson has 4 sacks apiece with Wilson having 2 int's so they are pretty well rounded in these areas. Also another tidbit is Treylon has scored 47 points on the year and Flannel has 78, Bess has 36. Losing Ince hurts since he has contributed 24 points on the year but, My concern is the Ol, they need to play more consistenly.

Roughneck93
10-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Treylon has 7 int's on the year with 1 maybe 2 taken back for TD's, he also has a couple of punts returns for TD's. Flannel has 969 yds rushing with 13 TD's. The defense has 15 int's and 10 fumble recoveries, an 19 sacks on the year so far, with Swanks who has 5, he also has a int. from DE position returned for a TD. Also Bess and Wilson has 4 sacks apiece with Wilson having 2 int's so they are pretty well rounded in these areas. Also another tidbit is Treylon has scored 47 points on the year and Flannel has 78, Bess has 36. Losing Ince hurts since he has contributed 24 points on the year but, My concern is the Ol, they need to play more consistenly.

Completely agree Dub. OL has been our Achilles heel. Have to get consistent there.

MGAR
10-20-2011, 10:27 AM
Great show guys.

http://www.ezeedictionary.com/imagedict/k/kudos.jpg

SintonFan
10-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Interesting...:thinking:

Saggy Aggie
10-20-2011, 11:34 AM
Treylon johnican is a man.

Good receiver. GREAT DB (7 ints). Good runner. Good thrower (50 yd fake punt pass td). Good punter. GREAT kicker. GREAT punt returner (couple returns for tds). Now he's gonna be taking snaps.

Lg and sinton fans will testify that this kid can kick like nobody's business. Consistently hits fgs from 50+ in pregame and has made some 30-40 yarders in games. Can kickoff out of the endzone if he wants.

Kid is just an unbelievable all around athlete.

OldNavy
10-20-2011, 11:52 AM
I don't remember hearing about them, but Commerce and Princeton seem to be having much improved seasons than has been their norm of late. I expect Commerce to be undefeated going into the last game of the regular season with Celina. Also, Dallas Madison seems to be coming on. I thought Wilmer-Hutchins was going to make a splash, but their loss to Roosevelt has dampened my enthusiasm for them, but they were undefeated until last week.

Txbroadcaster
10-20-2011, 12:38 PM
You mentioned Lovejoy on the show but didn't state if they were teir 2 or teir 3. You said Abilene Wylie was teir 2 in Region 1 and Lovejoy beat Wylie 21-17 after repeatedly shooting themselves in the foot with 17 penalties. Since Lovejoy is in Region 2 my guess would be that you guys put them as a teir 3. Is that correct?

I actually said that Wylie as of now was Tier 3...LL is Tier 3 in Region 2 right now

jason
10-20-2011, 12:47 PM
what about that powerful 6-1 North Forney team in region 2 ???

Txbroadcaster
10-20-2011, 12:51 PM
what about that powerful 6-1 North Forney team in region 2 ???

We mentioned them as a possible Tier 2 team

icu812
10-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Great show guys. Van getting some love, Tier 2 I like it. Hope we have a good showing tomorrow against a tier 1 team.

Txbroadcaster
10-20-2011, 02:22 PM
if any of your tier 2 teams make the finals (outside of unexpected reasons as i explained happened to us last year) ill gladly tip my hat to you, but ch, henderson and us were only surprises if your source was ap, campbell, etc, cause a preseason coachs get together had our coaches picking henderson to take it all, blew me away....

anyway, good springboard for debate....

If any of our tier 2 teams make it finals I will be shocked as well lol..that is why they tier 2 because as of now we dont feel they will make it that far but that grouping has the chance to make that run but just a chance.

pirate4state
10-20-2011, 03:35 PM
I'm gonna have to try and listen from home. I tried listening while working this morning and that DID NOT work! Plus yall jump around way too much from region to region. :crazy1:

NECKS_17
10-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Treylon johnican is a man.

Good receiver. GREAT DB (7 ints). Good runner. Good thrower (50 yd fake punt pass td). Good punter. GREAT kicker. GREAT punt returner (couple returns for tds). Now he's gonna be taking snaps.

Lg and sinton fans will testify that this kid can kick like nobody's business. Consistently hits fgs from 50+ in pregame and has made some 30-40 yarders in games. Can kickoff out of the endzone if he wants.

Kid is just an unbelievable all around athlete.I've known him basically my whole life and grew up playing sports with him. (basically a brother to me) This kid will beat you at anything. He'll out-knit your grandma, beat your grandpa at chess, beat you in baseball, soccer, tennis, basketball, water polo, golf, poker, underwater basket-weaving, checkers, paper football, video games, dodgeball, etc... You name it, this kid is good at it haha. There's no other word to describe him than ATHLETE..

SintonFan
10-20-2011, 04:44 PM
We do things a little different

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1255035

Thank God you didn't mention me "moving like Jaggard"! :D

trojandad
10-20-2011, 08:53 PM
If any of our tier 2 teams make it finals I will be shocked as well lol..that is why they tier 2 because as of now we dont feel they will make it that far but that grouping has the chance to make that run but just a chance.

then i completely agree with your attempt to group them...it just sounded like some of the teams suggested, like van, prosper, to name just a few, were being considered possible breakthrough teams in their region, whereas i feel they are more like we were a couple of years ago, in need of a few runs toward the prize to get started....consider me on board....

Txbroadcaster
10-20-2011, 10:37 PM
then i completely agree with your attempt to group them...it just sounded like some of the teams suggested, like van, prosper, to name just a few, were being considered possible breakthrough teams in their region, whereas i feel they are more like we were a couple of years ago, in need of a few runs toward the prize to get started....consider me on board....

yes team like van and prosper we do consider teams that MIGHT breakthru..but until they do they are a step below...we will find out about Van this week

trojandad
10-20-2011, 11:35 PM
He'll out-knit your grandma..

he might outknit YOUR grandma....my grandma will knit what he knits, while knitting a spittune with her toes at the same time, then hit it with a loogie from 20 paces while yelling "IN YOUR FACE!!!".....

but he probably could beat my grandpa at chess....but checkers?? no way....<king me>.....

OldBison75
10-21-2011, 12:52 AM
All I will say in this thread is don't overlook the Navasota Rattlers. When all of the pieces are in the mix, they are a much better team than last year. Maybe not good enough to beat CH, but I bet CH won't have the kinda night they had last year. Could be a game like Gilmer and Navasota a few years ago.

NECKS_17
10-21-2011, 02:28 AM
he might outknit YOUR grandma....my grandma will knit what he knits, while knitting a spittune with her toes at the same time, then hit it with a loogie from 20 paces while yelling "IN YOUR FACE!!!".....

but he probably could beat my grandpa at chess....but checkers?? no way....<king me>.....

Your grandma is an all-star haha. My grandma just watches the food network and makes me pies and cakes (you know, typical grandma stuff)..