PDA

View Full Version : 4a Calallen and 4a Flour Bluff calling out 2a Refugio

MustangFootball
10-18-2011, 10:30 PM
Corpus Christi Calallen and Flour Bluff calling out Refugio tonight on the local news for next year....legendary coach Phil Danaher saying "if you think you can play with us then lets go"

Matthew328
10-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Corpus Christi Calallen and Flour Bluff calling out Refugio tonight on the local news for next year....legendary coach Phil Danaher saying "if you think you can play with us then lets go"

Wow that doesn't sound like Coach Danaher...would love to see video of that

SintonFan_inAustin
10-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Wow that doesn't sound like Coach Danaher...would love to see video of thatRefugio fans are on lala land thinking they can beat anybody.

pirate4state
10-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Wow that doesn't sound like Coach Danaher...would love to see video of that

Kristv.com will have it up later. It was pretty funny.

raider red 2000
10-18-2011, 10:40 PM
http://www.kristv.com/news/talking-the-talk-calallen-and-flour-bluff-challenge-refugio-to-a-game/

sinton wont play the bobcats :)

SintonFan_inAustin
10-18-2011, 10:47 PM
http://www.kristv.com/news/talking-the-talk-calallen-and-flour-bluff-challenge-refugio-to-a-game/

sinton wont play the bobcats :)nobody wants to play them, if its Refugio on the phone, dont answer.

Blastoderm55
Its totally not what KRIS presented it to be. That was a story desperate for attention.

pirate4state

sinton wont play the bobcats :)

Oh really? Says who?

raider red 2000
10-18-2011, 10:49 PM
says a coworker who is in the know.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-18-2011, 10:50 PM
says a coworker who is in the know. Sinton score at will on them in last year scrimmage, this year they hit on two passing plays and they think they dominated. lol

MustangFootball
10-18-2011, 10:51 PM
I would love to see Ingleside play Refugio Calallen or Port Lavaca!!! I think Ingleside will be competitive with any of those teams.

raider red 2000
10-18-2011, 10:53 PM
i think ingleside and refugio will play next year.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-18-2011, 10:56 PM
Calallen says will play them (http://www.kristv.com/videoplayer/?video_id=17671&categories=77)

pirate4state
10-18-2011, 10:57 PM
says a coworker who is in the know.

And my in the know guy says "we're right here"

MustangFootball
10-18-2011, 10:58 PM
:1popcorn:
i think ingleside and refugio will play next year.do you have an inside source telling you this? I think a home and home the next 2 years would be awesome.:1popcorn:

SintonFan_inAustin
10-18-2011, 11:00 PM
:1popcorn:do you have an inside source telling you this? I think a home and home the next 2 years would be awesome.:1popcorn:Heck just put them in our district! :)

SintonFan_inAustin
10-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Its totally not what KRIS presented it to be. That was a story desperate for attention.if its sells, go for it :) Caller times has sure been on this subject about the points Refugio has scored anything to get papers sold and websites jumping.

99IHSMustang
10-18-2011, 11:05 PM
Heck just put them in our district! :)

Refugio is good, but some of their fans think they are world beaters. If they played some of the better 3a and 4a in this area, it would not be a blowout.

raider red 2000
10-18-2011, 11:06 PM
Heck just put them in our district! :)

refguio has 205 kids....not real likely.

bobcats could compete in football. maybe softball, but thats about it in 3a i would think.

MustangFootball
10-18-2011, 11:07 PM
Heck just put them in our district! :)I think we have the hardest and most competitive district in the coastal bend I can't wait till realignment to see who will be with us. Looks like OG is really coming together at the right time.

raider red 2000
10-18-2011, 11:08 PM
i had a lady tell me that the bobcats could hang with Katy- she got offended when i said no way.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-18-2011, 11:09 PM
refguio has 205 kids....not real likely.

bobcats could compete in football. maybe softball, but thats about it in 3a i would think.yea i know, was jk. But it would be great if they had the student enrollment who knows they could probably win it but it sure would be some great games just about each week.

regaleagle
10-18-2011, 11:09 PM
As a Corpus Christi native that has many ties to the area, including family & friends of Coach Danaher personally, I can only believe that with all the publicity regarding Refugio, some wires got crossed. I'm sure something was said or reported from Refugio that challenged Calallen, and this is the response. I don't look for Refugio to accept the offer from the reported challenge. Just newspeople in the area causing a misunderstanding, most likely. No way can Refugio hold their own against Calallen or Flour Bluff(well, maybe F.B. this year, Haha). And I know Coach Danaher will not let his beloved Calallen be defamed.

Saggy Aggie
10-18-2011, 11:11 PM
i had a lady tell me that the bobcats could hang with Katy- she got offended when i said no way. lmao

SintonFan_inAustin
10-18-2011, 11:17 PM
lmaoTheir fans called West Columbia a mediocre team last year lol

Old Tiger
10-18-2011, 11:32 PM
Isn't Regugio going to be 1a next year?

neck_06
10-19-2011, 12:18 AM
West Columbia dominates Refugio, Calallen, and Flour Bluff. Hell, if the Texans want to play, we'll dominate them too!

SHSBulldog00
10-19-2011, 12:18 AM

It will be close.

Remember when Refugio was a 3A!!!! I DO:)

Dogs_21
10-19-2011, 12:52 AM
i had a lady tell me that the bobcats could hang with Katy- she got offended when i said no way.

LOL....You cant even compare the two... that's so disrespectful to Katy...LOL

And they couldn't beat West Columbia...They playing sorry 2A schools out of South Texas...Chill lol

Ranger354
10-19-2011, 05:08 AM
Sinton used to play Refugio the first game of the season for many years. I would say it was a 50/50 split on wins ( bet some one on here has stats). Refugio has a good team but IMO has run he score up a few times. Nothing new... There have been other teams in the past that have done this so it isn't the first time. Won't be the last time and blame it on addrenaline nothing more or less. Doesn't mean the Refugio program is bad or good.

All this "calling out" was media hype. If you notice in the background while talking to the Bluff coach that looked like Calallen's stadium in he background maybe. The media is trying for make this more then what it is. Heck, Sinton has changed its schedule to play more competitive teams.

Many of the smaller towns are not growing, in fact they are getting smaller thence the athletic programs are suffering. Just look at Premont. Sinton has not grown, but it has not lost much in size either. They used to play Taft, Odem, and Refugio. Heck hey used to play GP and Calallen too back when those teams or districts used to be a bit smaller.

I think any coach wants his team to play a competitive game, but to say that FB and Calallen "called out" Refugio is all media hype!!!!!

My 2 cents.

bigwood33
10-19-2011, 05:15 AM
You just can't fix stupid! :crazy::taunt:

raider red 2000
10-19-2011, 07:48 AM
I think any coach wants his team to play a competitive game, but to say that FB and Calallen "called out" Refugio is all media hype!!!!!

My 2 cents.

i totally agree. but it worked. i watched the local news just becaue of this story. the news people are trying to say they are just "reporting."

i see it as a Jr high thing.

a kid says - "Hey phil, jason said he can beat you up." so phil says, "tell jason, I'm not scared." then runs over to jason and says, "jason, phil said he can beat you up"

so we all watch to see what happens.

jason
10-19-2011, 07:53 AM
no way a 4a would play a 2a, nothing to gain for either of them...

just some food for thought, can anybody think of match ups, recently, that involved schools more than 1 classification apart? 5a vs 3a, 4a vs 2a, 3a vs 1a? i guess it would be more likely for a 3a to play a 1a than a 5a vs 3a? maybe?...

i have always wanted stephenville to try to schedule copperas cove, but with stephenville (likely) dropping to 3a and cove being 5a, it likely won't happen for sure now...

SintonFan_inAustin
10-19-2011, 07:55 AM
i totally agree. but it worked. i watched the local news just becaue of this story. the news people are trying to say they are just "reporting."

i see it as a Jr high thing.

a kid says - "Hey phil, jason said he can beat you up." so phil says, "tell jason, I'm not scared." then runs over to jason and says, "jason, phil said he can beat you up"

so we all watch to see what happens.Phil C can beat up Jason?

Ranger354
10-19-2011, 07:56 AM
Sinton used to play Refugio the first game of the season for many years. I would say it was a 50/50 split on wins ( bet some one on here has stats). Refugio has a good team but IMO has run he score up a few times. Nothing new... There have been other teams in the past that have done this so it isn't the first time. Won't be the last time and blame it on addrenaline nothing more or less. Doesn't mean the Refugio program is bad or good.

All this "calling out" was media hype. If you notice in the background while talking to the Bluff coach that looked like Calallen's stadium in he background maybe. The media is trying for make this more then what it is. Heck, Sinton has changed its schedule to play more competitive teams.

Many of the smaller towns are not growing, in fact they are getting smaller thence the athletic programs are suffering. Just look at Premont. Sinton has not grown, but it has not lost much in size either. They used to play Taft, Odem, and Refugio. Heck hey used to play GP and Calallen too back when those teams or districts used to be a bit smaller.

My 2 cents.

Sorry about all the misspelling, I was typing this on my phone and it is very hard to go back and read it after typing.

1st and goal
10-19-2011, 07:56 AM
I would love to see Ingleside play Refugio Calallen or Port Lavaca!!! I think Ingleside will be competitive with any of those teams.

Calhoun would kick y'all around this year.

jason
10-19-2011, 07:59 AM
Phil C can beat up Jason?im not afraid to hit an old person...if they don't run me off the road first...

GpΣígh╤¥ III
10-19-2011, 08:02 AM
As a Corpus Christi native that has many ties to the area, including family & friends of Coach Danaher personally, I can only believe that with all the publicity regarding Refugio, some wires got crossed. I'm sure something was said or reported from Refugio that challenged Calallen, and this is the response. I don't look for Refugio to accept the offer from the reported challenge. Just newspeople in the area causing a misunderstanding, most likely. No way can Refugio hold their own against Calallen or Flour Bluff(well, maybe F.B. this year, Haha). And I know Coach Danaher will not let his beloved Calallen be defamed.

I think they could hold their own.

99IHSMustang
10-19-2011, 08:09 AM

Maybe so, but it would definitely be a better game than some of the ones Ingleside had early on in their schedule.

MUSTANG69
10-19-2011, 08:49 AM
i think ingleside and refugio will play next year.

I was told by a friend who works at the school that Ingleside and Refugio are talking. It seems that Zapata does not won't to play the Mustangs anymore so there is a week that has to be filled in.

truebluestang
10-19-2011, 08:55 AM
I was told by a friend who works at the school that Ingleside and Refugio are talking. It seems that Zapata does not won't to play the Mustangs anymore so there is a week that has to be filled in.

Refugio will play Ingleside Week 0 next year and that has been confirmed!

pirate4state
10-19-2011, 09:22 AM
The Sinton/Refugio series is pretty even with Refugio having a 1 game edge per the this thread:

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?84444-All-Time-Opponents&s=&highlight=time%20opponents

hollywood
10-19-2011, 09:25 AM
Refugio will play Ingleside Week 0 next year and that has been confirmed!

What do both teams have coming back next year. Interesting match up. I know Refugio loves their football! I lived there a short stint when I was in 4-5 grade. Best cafeteria food ever.

As good as Refugio is in 2A, no way they could hang with CC Cal or any other solid 4A a full game.

MustangFootball
10-19-2011, 09:45 AM

beat probably but kick us around I doubt, there's no coast bend team that would kick us around this year even Port Lavaca....may lose some but it wouldn't be a total domination by the other team....2006 after leading at halftime 10-7 over the sandcrabs Ingleside blown out in the second half I think it was like 42-16 and in 2007 it was a closer game Port Lavaca won a 28-17 game in Ingleside....thise years the Sand Crabs won their 4a district.

MUSTANG69
10-19-2011, 09:48 AM
The Sinton/Refugio series is pretty even with Refugio having a 1 game edge per the this thread:

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?84444-All-Time-Opponents&s=&highlight=time%20opponents

If memory serves me correct that was a pretty good rivalry for awhile and the two teams had some real wars on the football field.

pirate4state
10-19-2011, 09:54 AM
If memory serves me correct that was a pretty good rivalry for awhile and the two teams had some real wars on the football field. That is correct. I wouldn't mind putting them back on our schedule, but it's not up to me. Have you read the comments on the Caller website on how they would fare in our district? :doh: Goodness... http://www.caller.com/news/2011/oct/18/what-would-refugio-do-30-3a/

MustangFootball
10-19-2011, 09:59 AM
That is correct. I wouldn't mind putting them back on our schedule, but it's not up to me. Have you read the comments on the Caller website on how they would fare in our district? :doh: Goodness... http://www.caller.com/news/2011/oct/18/what-would-refugio-do-30-3a/yeah I said they would do pretty good competing for that last playoff spot with Mathis and Rockport.

Ranger354
10-19-2011, 10:06 AM
It would cost a lot less school tax dollars to play Refugio then it would to play Hondo and Rio Hondo.

SINTON81
10-19-2011, 10:29 AM
It would cost a lot less school tax dollars to play Refugio then it would to play Hondo and Rio Hondo.Not to mention the dollars I have to spend to go see the games.

Saggy Aggie
10-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Their fans called West Columbia a mediocre team last year lol LOL

I saw Refugio play last year and WC would have beat them like a drum. No way Refugio even kept it close. Would be a 30+ point win for the Necks. Our 2010 team had Refugio dominated talent wise in every position on the football field.

I was expecting a lot more from them TBH. Pretty disappointed.

They must be a hell of a lot better than they were last year to be as good as they claim to be this year. JMO

warhorsejoe
10-19-2011, 10:48 AM
CORPUS CHRISTI — Greg Rajan and Matt Young of the Caller-Times say Jason Herring and his Bobcats are no bullies. Are they kidding? Refugio has rung up 357 points to its opponents' 26 in five games. Next, they face two one-win teams. Yet Herring says that he needs to play his first-team offense for three quarters to prepare for the playoffs. He defines pitch and catch for a nine yard TD by a 6'1" star receiver in a blowout as preparation for pressure.

Really? The truth is if players can't hold up to real competition for four quarters, it's due to lack of conditioning, not lack of playing time. Excellence comes from striving against stronger competition, not weaker. Standing up, fighting back and striving to win builds character. Coaching kids who are bigger and faster than their opponents to pile on points only teaches them to be poor sports.

Blowouts increase the probability of injuries. When kids are demoralized on the field, they start thinking, "What's the use?" They stop playing at full speed and that makes them more vulnerable. Herring says he would rather lose by 90. Great. He'll be around for a season when the tide turns. But the kids he beats won't. They will live with the humiliation for the rest of their lives.

It makes perfect sense for a dominant team to take a knee for a 3-and-out when the game is out of hand. It teaches the other team perseverance and motivates them to play. I asked former Kansas State linebacker Jabbar Williams his opinion. "It would make me want to fire off on them, to play harder."

Besides, if the Bobcat offense always has the ball, the defense is on the sideline. How do they prepare for the playoffs? The Bobcats gave up 45 points in their playoff loss last year and 105 points in four playoff games, nearly matching points against of the regular season. OK, Coach, we get it. Your star-studded offense can pile up 80 plus points against weaker teams. But can your defense stop somebody their own size? If your playoff record is the yardstick, it looks like you fumbled this one big time.

Herring says he's just a nice guy who loves kids. That means he plays by the rules, right? The UIL Athletic Code states that schools (and coaches) are to "Play ... in the spirit of fairness and sportsmanship, observing all rules, both in letter and intent." How does running up huge scores promote fairness? And what about sportsmanship? Bragging that your team could play for one point per TD and still win is unsportsmanlike trash talk.

The rules also state (Thou shalt) not recruit or entice any student to attend and participate at your school. Of course, we all know that Lynx Hawthorne wasn't recruited. It is merely a coincidence that Lynx' dad quit his job as athletic director and head football coach at Weimar to become Herring's assistant during Lynx' final season. Every teenager who already has a full ride to a Division I university wants to transfer to a different high school for his senior year. Right?

To be fair, Lynx was quoted as saying he wants to be at Refugio. "(T)his is by far the most talent I've ever seen on a football team. Even the linemen are fast and strong. It's just unbelievable talent." (advosports.com, Aug 26, 2011). So we can guess that Lynx and his father value a school with a great team where he can showcase his talent. Fine. We are all about Friday Night Lights in Texas. But what about loyalty and commitment to the educators, coaches and the team that helped foster that talent? What about integrity?

There are more important lessons than winning football games, even in Texas. Lynx is already going to be a big time college talent. Playing in 2A with teams like Kingsville Academy whose star defensive back is a gritty 5'5" 135 pound junior who plays both sides of the ball cannot possibly make Hawthorne a better athlete. So while Herring and his new assistant will be coaching kids to show off and run up numbers, Hebbronville, Freer and all the other teams that get an annual thrashing by the Bobcats will be learning inner strength and team spirit. Coach Herring has to be under tremendous pressure to win. But has he forgotten that character building is the real purpose of high school athletics?

If the Refugio Bobcats are successful in their bid for a run at state this year, Bravo! The boys can look back with pride at their accomplishment. But by humiliating all the other teams that face his in order to get there, Coach Herring will never be a champion. He'll just be another bully.

Frederick Capps is a professional counselor. He can be reached at dr.fred60@gmail.com.

Trench Warrior
10-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Oh boy, here we go!

gobbla4life
10-19-2011, 12:30 PM
With no disrespect to any of our great south Texas high school football programs. My team Cuero is having a tough season , but even this year we have not strayed away from playing quality teams. And we've gotten our tales kicked a couple of times as well. Refugio thinking they can beat anyone anywhere , that's a shame. We have tried to schedule them , and they won't play us. So with that being said , Refugio I still want you to make south Texas proud. But don't for one second disrespect your peers. Cause just like us you will have some down years , more up than sown but you will have them.

Eagle 1
10-19-2011, 12:46 PM

I had an idiot on the 2A board that said if Refugio drops to 1A they will dominate 1A and win State.
I told him to put his money where is mouth is. So far he hasn't put up.
They may very well dominate region 4 in 2A, but outside of region 4 they seem to lose every year.
Like I said before, I hope they do drop.

Dogs_21
10-19-2011, 06:42 PM
they are on http://www.texas2afootball.com talking about Refugio would beat La Marque if they came down to district 30-AAA....lol Who do they think they are?? Cougs too much for them would beat em by 30...they think they could beat everyone in Region 4...Please some one schedule them next year and dog them by 40 plus...

cowboyandchrist
10-19-2011, 06:52 PM
Tatum scrimages Kilgore every year. 2a against 4a

cowboyandchrist
10-19-2011, 06:56 PM
I had an idiot on the 2A board that said if Refugio drops to 1A they will dominate 1A and win State.
They may very well dominate region 4 in 2A, but outside of region 4 they seem to lose every year.
Tatum, Daingerfield, New Boston, and Crockett would be more than happy to play the little Bob Kitties. Hey were are just 2a

MGAR
10-19-2011, 07:16 PM

Ummmm, they prolly would win it all in 1A..

sinfan75
10-19-2011, 07:53 PM
this is what the UIL gives Refugio by putting them in the southern parts of R4. Teams up north regularly blow out lesser teams and everybody just calls em a great team even if they don't win state title. There coach is gonna play his starters as long as he thinks will keep them conditioned for the tough play-off games comin. I say kudos to the coach! This is a very good Refugio team so just sit back and enjoy.

Eagle 1
10-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Ummmm, they prolly would win it all in 1A..

Care to place a wager on that thought?

AP Panther Fan
10-20-2011, 02:08 PM
this is what the UIL gives Refugio by putting them in the southern parts of R4. Teams up north regularly blow out lesser teams and everybody just calls em a great team even if they don't win state title. There coach is gonna play his starters as long as he thinks will keep them conditioned for the tough play-off games comin. I say kudos to the coach! This is a very good Refugio team so just sit back and enjoy.

I agree. I think it is their fans that are the problem. Hopefully the kids are being respectful to the opposing teams during the games.

I guess they could request to opt-up to 3A, maybe Dist 28 or 30, but that would certainly end their hopes for a State Championship...ever. I wonder what the UIL considers when it is requested (not that it would be, in this case).

SintonFan
10-20-2011, 04:25 PM
Reading the caller.com board is like watching preteen girls fight over Justin Bieber's week old tighty whiteys...

SintonFan_inAustin
10-20-2011, 04:41 PM
I agree. I think it is their fans that are the problem. Hopefully the kids are being respectful to the opposing teams during the games.

I guess they could request to opt-up to 3A, maybe Dist 28 or 30, but that would certainly end their hopes for a State Championship...ever. I wonder what the UIL considers when it is requested (not that it would be, in this case).:thumbsup:

sinton66
10-20-2011, 07:33 PM

I guess they could request to opt-up to 3A, maybe Dist 28 or 30, but that would certainly end their hopes for a State Championship...ever. I wonder what the UIL considers when it is requested (not that it would be, in this case).

EVER? Refugio has won a 3A State Championship before. 1982, 3A Refugio 22, Littlefield 21

raider red 2000
10-21-2011, 07:56 AM
[QUOTE=AP Panther Fan;1622948]I agree. I think it is their fans that are the problem. Hopefully the kids are being respectful to the opposing teams during the games.

QUOTE]

the bobcats have some fans that keep talking way to much. some just are not too smart. We do have plent of fans that honestly believe that we could beat anyone.....which is far from the truth. Come november and december we will be in several games that our kids will have to battle.

The people i feel bad for are the refugio kids that have nothing to do with the actual games that are being mistreated. for example- a 9th grade girl was going to be singing the national anthem at an away football game. her and her mom were cussed out by an adult becuase she was wearing a refugio shirt.

Buff42
10-21-2011, 08:17 AM
nobody wants to play them, if its Refugio on the phone, dont answer.

As they say in Lexington- "Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere, Bar None." Ask Refugio how that worked out for them in the playoffs last year. Wait, I can tell you- they got their butts handed to them by the Lexington Eagles and resorted to dirty, cheap shot football because they couldn't handle getting the ball stuffed down their gullet every play. :stirpot:

hollywood
10-21-2011, 08:31 AM
I'm sure it's only a few arrogant fans living through their HS team who are giving the entire town of Refugio a bad wrap. Sure, scoring 90+ pts in a game seems like they are just running up the score. But I don't think there is anything wrong to have your kids play hard in preparation to peak late in the season. Every good team has a mission to win State at some point. Appears they have the team this year to go deep and maybe win it all. They can't help that the competition isn't up to their level yet. They will meet their match in the playoffs when they go North and East though.

hollywood
10-21-2011, 08:54 AM
EVER? Refugio has won a 3A State Championship before. 1982, 3A Refugio 22, Littlefield 21

I think that's the year I lived there. I'm pretty sure they played in Brownwood that year for either the semi's or finals. My grandparents lived only a mile from the stadium and I remember going to the game thinking how cool it was to be at grandma's house for Christmas break watching my hometown in the playoffs. Willie Mack Garza is one of the greatest ball players from Refugio. I used to play yard football with him. Super fast! He later played at UT Austin. I think he's a DB coach at UT Knoxville now.

raider red 2000
10-21-2011, 10:33 AM
I think that's the year I lived there. I'm pretty sure they played in Brownwood that year for either the semi's or finals. My grandparents lived only a mile from the stadium and I remember going to the game thinking how cool it was to be at grandma's house for Christmas break watching my hometown in the playoffs. Willie Mack Garza is one of the greatest ball players from Refugio. I used to play yard football with him. Super fast! He later played at UT Austin. I think he's a DB coach at UT Knoxville now.

willie mack was at Tennessee....he went to USC with Lane Kiffin.....he resigned early this season....later it came out about some sort of recruiting violation while at Tenn.

I have never heard anything but great things about willie mack. his nephew is a running back and LB for the bobcats.....pretty good football player & a great kid.

garciap77
10-21-2011, 12:22 PM

:eek::eek::eek::eek: