PDA

View Full Version : 17-3A football

cl8114
07-01-2002, 10:24 PM
I think that this district has been one of the most competitive over the years. This year will bring more excitment. The first week of district should host the best game in district play with Gatesville facing off with Hillsboro. Gatesville should flourish there second year under Coach Mike Morgan. They have a lot of guys back and they are faster then there 9-3 over acheiving team last year. Look for Thayer to control the ground game and Fadal is a big kid who has only seen three losses in his 2 years of varsity ball. Hillsboro looks tough. Massey is a strong running back who looks to give teams fits. CS will be down this year after losing Shawn Bell to Baylor and losing McGibbon, but Coach Bell has turned that program around. Connaly will be young and ready to play look them to be the shocker if any in the district. La Vega they always have talent. If they use it they could be dangerous. I think they will end up in the middle of the pack. Robinson is down and they move back into the district this year. I think they are young and will end up near the bottom. And then West and Whitney, looks as if West won't be siting in the celler this year the Wildcats should take that spot.

Swarm 51
07-03-2002, 12:24 AM
Agree with you cl8114. But, watch out for Robinson. Coach Strain is a basic fundamentalist type coach and always has his team as well prepared as possible. Remember in 2000 when the Hornets soundly beat them in a non-district game. Then when the two teams met again two deep into the playoffs the Hornets had to play their hearts out to pull out a 10 point win. The game wasn't really settled until the Rockets last offensive play towards the end of the game and were on the Hornet's 4 yd. line. They faked to the right, quarterback ran to his left on a keeper and the Hornet's cornerback, Miller, threw him for a loss. You could hear a sigh of relief throughout the Gatesville side of the stadium. Those Rockets are always tough. I truly believe the Hornets will be much better than last year, more experience and speed. But, they will meet up with some great teams in
17AAA. The Hillsboro game could tell the story for the Hornet's of 2002.

dab
07-03-2002, 12:59 PM
I alos agree that Gatesville will win this district. I think a lot of people are under estimating LaVega. The pirates always play tough against good opponents. I don't think that China Spring will be as tough because they are having to move Holcomb to quarter back. Look for Connally and Robinson both to upset some people in the league. I wouldn't be surprised if every team had a district loss after the season.

Matthew328
07-03-2002, 01:06 PM
I doubt Robinson will have a year like last year..they should be much improved....keep an eye on Connally though...they have a ton of people back and really improved...going from 0-10 to 4-6 last season....I have a feeling they will be in the mix...