PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Throwing

Trench Warrior
10-14-2011, 09:57 AM
So at a JV game last night, on of the D Linemen get mad as he is coming off the field and throws his helmet. Coach makes him pick it up and put it back on. Coach wasn't mean, but was very stern. Coach then goes over and pulls him aside and explains to him why he was upset with the helmet throwing. No joke, parents in the stands were very upset with the mean bully of a coach, even had some yell at coach. I don't know what to think anymore.

Pendragon13
10-14-2011, 10:00 AM
If I were a coach that would result in automatic benching. Benching as in actually sitting on the bench for the remainder of the game...with helmet on.

YTBulldogs
10-14-2011, 10:01 AM
So at a JV game last night, on of the D Linemen get mad as he is coming off the field and throws his helmet. Coach makes him pick it up and put it back on. Coach wasn't mean, but was very stern. Coach then goes over and pulls him aside and explains to him why he was upset with the helmet throwing. No joke, parents in the stands were very upset with the mean bully of a coach, even had some yell at coach. I don't know what to think anymore.

Hope the officials flagged him?

Trench Warrior
10-14-2011, 10:17 AM
My concern is that the parents actually got onto the coach for getting upset with the kid.

Tejastrue
10-14-2011, 10:20 AM
My concern is that the parents actually got onto the coach for getting upset with the kid.

Yea, I can just hear the parents...Nobody yells at my Timmy!!!! parents and/or fans need to get over it...Good job coach!!!

SHSBulldog00
10-14-2011, 10:29 AM
I agree with the coach. I'm sure the parents said he threw his helmet because he was upset but that is no reason for the tossing of the headgear. I was always told you never throw, sit, or stand on your helmet, it has a purpose and that is to protect your head. I commend the coach for his actions.:clap:

rangerjim60
10-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Little Timmy is destined to become a NFL lineman one day in the parents eyes. How dare you scold someone who is gonna one day buy his parents a house and car with their signing bonus!!!!!!!

Try umpiring an 8U girls softball game once and you will see the worst behavior known to mankind by parents. Every kid is a star at that age and very few can do wrong.

panfan
10-14-2011, 11:01 AM
At freshmen game last night, last hail mary pass by opposing team results in interception and run back by our team. Opposing team player who got beat at the endzone is sitting in the endzone slamming his hands into the ground over and over. I thought this was unacceptable as well. I understand the frustration of the kid, but in HS ball, grow up, act like a young man, and have some respect for your team and yourself and leave the temper tantrums off the field.

Send_the_House
10-14-2011, 11:20 AM
At freshmen game last night, last hail mary pass by opposing team results in interception and run back by our team. Opposing team player who got beat at the endzone is sitting in the endzone slamming his hands into the ground over and over. I thought this was unacceptable as well. I understand the frustration of the kid, but in HS ball, grow up, act like a young man, and have some respect for your team and yourself and leave the temper tantrums off the field.

So you disagree with the actions of a 15 year old kid, who just lost something he cares about in a very emotional way. Good for you and your standards.

greendawg84
10-14-2011, 11:22 AM
I have a rule with all 3 of my boys , you throw a helmet , bat , batting helmet , basketball , or anything during the game it will result in some form of reaction from me. That is a big pet peeve of mine , I had my oldest one do it in baseball when he was about 8 years old . I went into the dugout and removed him from the game. The reaction at home he received cured all 3 of them from ever doing this.

panfan
10-14-2011, 11:48 AM
So you disagree with the actions of a 15 year old kid, who just lost something he cares about in a very emotional way. Good for you and your standards.
yes I do disagree, a 15 years old is plenty old enough to know how to act. I may be old school, but that kind of behaviour along with helmet throwing, kicking stuff on the sidelines, and being being un able to control your emotions were never tolerated and resulted in extra wind sprints the next day, regardless of why you did it. So yes - good for me and my standards and how I expect my kid to act as well as others. I would expect my kids coaches to be all over it, and then when they are done with him, he will have to answer to me. We were always taught that athletes were held to a higher standard of behaviour on and off the field.

greendawg84
10-14-2011, 11:57 AM
I am the poster child for OLD SCHOOL , I also disagree Sir. I spend a lot of time working inside the wall of the State Prisons. Every week I see thousands of kids that did not learn to control their emotions , that is why they end up there. Most were not taught self control and responsiblity for their actions at a young age. So put me on the same list as panfan if you will. ( I am only his friend for the next two weeks , till the Dawgs and Cats meet )

Emerson1
10-14-2011, 12:05 PM
So now we are equating showing emotion after giving up a hail mary run back and losing your team the game to not being able to control your emotion and shooting somebody?

I love the old people on this site. That made my day.

greendawg84
10-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Where did I say anybody got shot young feller

Trench Warrior
10-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Send the House, that is the very apathetic attitude that allows these kids to think behavior like all this is acceptable. "Oh their just 15, and emotional." You have got to be kidding. Please tell me that at 15 someone expected something out of you.

NastySlot
10-14-2011, 12:09 PM
So now we are equating showing emotion after giving up a hail mary run back and losing your team the game to not being able to control your emotion and shooting somebody?

who shot someone?

Emerson1
10-14-2011, 12:23 PM
who shot someone?
shoot someone, punch someone, anything violent. That's usually what occurred if someone is in jail and it was an event that happened because they couldn't control their emotions.

Emerson1
10-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Send the House, that is the very apathetic attitude that allows these kids to think behavior like all this is acceptable. "Oh their just 15, and emotional." You have got to be kidding. Please tell me that at 15 someone expected something out of you.
So if your son just dropped a pass to win the state championship you are going to make him do wind sprints if he shows any type of emotion?

OldBison75
10-14-2011, 12:31 PM
There is a huge difference in a kid pounding his fists against the turf to show emotion and a kid that throws his helmet. I have no problem with a kid being emotional and upset that a play failed by slapping the turf or "pounding the turf with his fists--that is much better than showing his disappointment by taking a cheap shot at someone or something like that. Plus, this type emotional response is not disrespectful to the other players, fans, or the coach.

On the other had, a kid throwing a helmet is being disrespectful to the school that provides the safety equipment to him to protect him, and, that helmet can strike another player or coach and cause injury to others.

I think that emotions are part of life and sometimes have to be released. However, throwing things that can harm others and damage things that don't belong to you are not the way to show emotions. AND, we don't know what response the kid gave the coach when he came off the field and was confronted about his behavior. Part of sports and school is discipline, I think this coach should have been stern. In this life, there should be consequences for behavior that is not acceptable. Hope the kid learned a lesson and the parents involved support him in whatever punishment was doled out.

panfan
10-14-2011, 12:34 PM

I said old school, not old!! Nothing wrong with showing emotion, but he looked like a two year old on the ground throwing a temper tantrum. Couple of weeks ago, ran the chains for a game, Kid on opposint team got driven out of bounds. Got up , promptly kicked the yardage marker about 3 yards or so. Coach ignored it, but saw it. Crap like that is and should be unacceptable. Just my opinion.

Trench Warrior
10-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Emerson, I am telling you that yes even if he drops the state winning catch, that throwing a temper tantrum on the field is never acceptable. Its called winning and losing with grace and dignity. Yes, there will be consequences. I don't know if that will be physical or a stern talking to, but yes there will be consequences. I would say that I am not doing my job as a parent if I let that go.

Trench Warrior
10-14-2011, 12:50 PM
I was raised to know that my actions reflected my faith, family, and school. My kids will know that as well. Having emotions, playing emotional, or being emotional are all good qualities to have if they can be reigned in. If they cannot, then they reflect poorly on the institutions that raised you. Only my opinion.

NastySlot
10-14-2011, 01:52 PM
I think there is big difference in showing emotion and throwing a tantrum......most would agree.

zebrablue2
10-14-2011, 02:06 PM
I was raised to know that my actions reflected my faith, family, and school. My kids will know that as well. Having emotions, playing emotional, or being emotional are all good qualities to have if they can be reigned in. If they cannot, then they reflect poorly on the institutions that raised you. Only my opinion.

:clap: +1

Tejastrue
10-14-2011, 02:10 PM

:clap: +2

MUSTANG69
10-14-2011, 02:15 PM
I think there is big difference in showing emotion and throwing a tantrum......most would agree.

I agree. If the kid slammed his fist on the turf , got up with head held high and accepted defeat then no problem. If he threw a tantrum then he needs a good old-fashioned "Old School" ass kicking.

95mustang
10-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Little Timmy is destined to become a NFL lineman one day in the parents eyes. How dare you scold someone who is gonna one day buy his parents a house and car with their signing bonus!!!!!!!

Try umpiring an 8U girls softball game once and you will see the worst behavior known to mankind by parents. Every kid is a star at that age and very few can do wrong.

Try coaching a 8U girls softball team, behavior seen in games is also seen at practice.

panfan
10-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Try coaching a 8U girls softball team, behavior seen in games is also seen at practice.
It doesn't get any better at 16u, sorry to tell you.

Old Dog
10-14-2011, 03:12 PM
I think my old football coach had an interesting rule related to helmets. When we left the locker room, you had you helmet on, and it didn't come off until you were back in the locker room (of course barring injury or special need). Just a method to instill dicipline according to coach. One of my pet peeves is seeing a kid sitting on his helmet.

Emerson1
10-14-2011, 03:21 PM
I think my old football coach had an interesting rule related to helmets. When we left the locker room, you had you helmet on, and it didn't come off until you were back in the locker room (of course barring injury or special need). Just a method to instill dicipline according to coach. One of my pet peeves is seeing a kid sitting on his helmet.
Sounds like 3afan's coach at Copperas Cove. They had to wear their helmets on the bus fully strapped.