PDA

View Full Version : Witnessed a new trick play

GrTigers6
10-14-2011, 05:33 AM
Wednesday I was officiating a game at Midlothian between the 8th grade A teams, Midlothian lined up in a swinging gate formation at the opponents 25 yard line. QB throws a backward pass to the ground and skips it to the back behind the line that that is split out to the numbers. Now the defense stops, thinking its incomplete and the back takes the ball and throws it to the end who is standing in the endzone. Unfortunetly the pass was short, but he was wide open.
That team ran the swinging gate probably 80% of the plays, Oh and the game ended in a 0 -0 tie

Heffelfinger
10-14-2011, 06:12 AM
That-a-way to teach 'em fundamentals.

Gontex
10-14-2011, 06:34 AM
Wednesday I was officiating a game at Midlothian between the 8th grade A teams, Midlothian lined up in a swinging gate formation at the opponents 25 yard line. QB throws a backward pass to the ground and skips it to the back behind the line that that is split out to the numbers. Now the defense stops, thinking its incomplete and the back takes the ball and throws it to the end who is standing in the endzone. Unfortunetly the pass was short, but he was wide open.
That team ran the swinging gate probably 80% of the plays, Oh and the game ended in a 0 -0 tie

Interesting, but not new. Ags ran a play against Texas back in 67 where they actually completed the pass and scored late to win the game.

Additup
10-14-2011, 06:44 AM
Interesting, but not new. Ags ran a play against Texas back in 67 where they actually completed the pass and scored late to win the game.
...and that's why it's called Aggie Pass.

GrTigers6
10-14-2011, 07:10 AM
Interesting, but not new. Ags ran a play against Texas back in 67 where they actually completed the pass and scored late to win the game.Well I was born in 69 So...............:D
Oh and I didnt mean it was new, Just new to me. lol

Gontex
10-14-2011, 09:12 AM
Well I was born in 69 So...............:D
Oh and I didnt mean it was new, Just new to me. lol

I think that I understood what you meant. Some of us old timers know that there is really nothing that is totally new in football. Still an interesting play tho isn't it, especially when it works.

nt7on7
10-14-2011, 09:23 AM
GA Moore had us practice that play week-after-week during the playoffs. We would practice it on those weeks we got to play on those big, nice, turf fields:) I'm not saying he invented it, or saying Celina is superior, but it was funny because Jarrod Martin and I were just talking about it this week.

By the way, Celina fans, Jarrod Martin's son is going to be great (the sixth grader and the 1st grader):)

icu812
10-14-2011, 10:39 AM

If I was HC/AD I'd have a little talk with the Jr. High Urban Meyer. That is time wasted that could have been used coaching them up, wow.