PDA

View Full Version : if stephenville drops...

jason
10-13-2011, 03:08 PM
...will the board get an onslaught of fans more or less annoying than brownwoods when they made the drop ??

i have already had a few talks with locals about stephenville dropping and the common response is 'we will dominate in football'....some of them are already planning the championship parade....

hollywood
10-13-2011, 03:16 PM
...will the board get an onslaught of fans more or less annoying than brownwoods when they made the drop ??

I have already had a few talks with locals about stephenville dropping and the common response is 'we will dominate in football'....some of them are already planning the championship parade....

lol!

bigwood33
10-13-2011, 03:18 PM

i have already had a few talks with locals about stephenville dropping and the common response is 'we will dominate in football'....some of them are already planning the championship parade....
Wasn't Brownwood 3A last year when they rolled the Jackets? I know that you don't believe that but you might want to remind some of the S'ville faithful that "the greatest Brownwood team of all time" lost in the Semi Finals last year.

Emerson1
10-13-2011, 03:22 PM
More annoying. They won't go 3-7 their first year like Brownwood did.

hollywood
10-13-2011, 03:29 PM
More annoying. They won't go 3-7 their first year like Brownwood did.

Agree

Johnny Utah
10-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Stephenville vs. La Marque in the 3A State Title game......interesting!!

Txbroadcaster
10-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Of the teams who dropped and did not win a state title like Bwood, WO-S who had the fanfare of expecting to dominate,..it was Henderson a crap 4A team that dropped and won it year one

Old Tiger
10-13-2011, 03:53 PM

i have already had a few talks with locals about stephenville dropping and the common response is 'we will dominate in football'....some of them are already planning the championship parade....As long as they don't have a rocket equivalent they'll be alright.

Emerson1
10-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Of the teams who dropped and did not win a state title like Bwood, WO-S who had the fanfare of expecting to dominate,..it was Henderson a crap 4A team that dropped and won it year one
Because the players expected it too.

hollywood
10-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Basically, the new 3A will become the old 4A if they raise the 3A cap over 1,000+. So throw out any reservations anyone has about 3A being less competative. Just evens out the playing field a little better IMHO.

There are some great programs and teams in 3A. Example, Brownwood ran into Carthage last year who gave them all they could handle! Stephenville will not dominate if they drop nor will La Marque. Fact... If a school in East Texas can hire a great coaching staff and start building a program... wow. The talent pool is overflowing. Hince the geographic location of the most recent 3A State Champions.

Sville
10-13-2011, 04:26 PM
If they raise the cutoff high enough for us to get in then, I think they should add the 4th team from each district to the playoffs IMO.

Bullaholic
10-13-2011, 04:32 PM
Everybody has been complaining how the board activity has dropped and that there are a lot of "boring" threads---that all goes away if S'Ville comes to 3A, brings most of their posters, and continues to hook-up with the Lion pride, and a lot of other suddenly new-found rivals statewide.

Sville
10-13-2011, 04:53 PM
I really hope we do drop not b/c I think we are gonna dominate but I am more of a 3A town guy. I wont have to worry about going over and playing Lewsiville or Mesquite. I get to stay in small town Texas and it doesn't get much better than that.

IMO The UIL needs to have about 220 schools in 3A and go to the 4 teams from each district go to the playoffs. I think that would help the disparity in school sizes.

mwynn05
10-13-2011, 05:05 PM
if you have 220 you will still have disparity.. maybe worse

Sville
10-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Let me be more specific. It would help more in the playoffs.

LionFan72
10-13-2011, 09:03 PM
Let me be more specific. It would help more in the playoffs.

Yea, let's just keep watering down the playoffs to make sure little Johnny gets his chance to be a hero too! Three teams is already too much, it is just money spent for very little gain.

LionFan72
10-13-2011, 09:07 PM
Stephenville, more than welcome to join district, think it will be a great to play on a regular basis.

Emerson1
10-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Yea, let's just keep watering down the playoffs to make sure little Johnny gets his chance to be a hero too! Three teams is already too much, it is just money spent for very little gain.
Very little gain according to who?

If you are going to use the money aspect for being against ONE extra game then I guess you would be ok with shortening the season to 8 games?

LionFan72
10-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Very little gain according to who?

If you are going to use the money aspect for being against ONE extra game then I guess you would be ok with shortening the season to 8 games?

Alright, I'll bite, tell me what 3rd place team has won a state championship. I am not aware of any. What fun is it to your tails smeared in the dirt for an "extra" week of practice? What does that 3rd playoff team cost the school district in travel, stadium cost, meals? Sorry, but I'm from the old school, a district championship meant something, one team should be advancing.

OldNavy
10-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Alright, I'll bite, tell me what 3rd place team has won a state championship. I am not aware of any. What fun is it to your tails smeared in the dirt for an "extra" week of practice? What does that 3rd playoff team cost the school district in travel, stadium cost, meals? Sorry, but I'm from the old school, a district championship meant something, one team should be advancing.

Disagree for several reasons. Last year there were two state champions from one district in 3A. The first year of four to the playoffs in big school, a 4th place team played for the state championship. There are some districts with 7 teams and 4 that might win other districts. Those youngsters deserve a chance to play, just because they are in a powerful district they will beat teams from districts that are not so accomplished. It is not a bad system and it doesn't leave anyone out. The playoff is generally fair. There are some things the UIL could do to make it better and perhaps they will, but one school out of a district is not enough in my humble opinion.

Saggy Aggie
10-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Stephenville vs. La Marque in the 3A State Title game......interesting!! no because stephenville is gonna be d1 if they drop and LM won't (741 enrollment won't be big enough to go d1)

jason
10-14-2011, 08:16 AM
no because stephenville is gonna be d1 if they drop and LM won't (741 enrollment won't be big enough to go d1)

there is no way to tell right now whether or not lamarque will be a div 1 or div 2 team in the district, the schools with higher enrollment could suck and make lamarque d1, will have to wait and see how that plays out...

just a fun fact - **of the 32 3A districts that exist right now, 20 of them have at least 2 teams with higher enrollment numbers than what lamarque submitted, so the mathematical chances of them being division 2 are greater than them being division 1**

Old Tiger
10-14-2011, 08:20 AM
Alright, I'll bite, tell me what 3rd place team has won a state championship. I am not aware of any. What fun is it to your tails smeared in the dirt for an "extra" week of practice? What does that 3rd playoff team cost the school district in travel, stadium cost, meals? Sorry, but I'm from the old school, a district championship meant something, one team should be advancing.Midland Greenwood off the top of my head....

In the upper classifications some 4th place teams have made very deep playoff runs.

GrTigers6
10-14-2011, 08:38 AM
Midland Greenwood off the top of my head....

In the upper classifications some 4th place teams have made very deep playoff runs.I believe North Crowley in 05 (I think) was a third place team when they won. But i'm not positive. I know they started 0-5

theville
10-14-2011, 09:01 AM
I believe that if we drop to 3A we can more competitive in all our other sports. I think it would be fun because we could most likely re-kindle that flame with Brownwood and start some new ones with Glen Rose (maybe) and some others.

I hope Stephenville fans dont come on here and toot their horn because I know what happened to Brownwood their first year in 3A.

Shoot, with Stephenville's luck the cut off will be 998. :)

SHSBulldog00
10-14-2011, 09:02 AM
there is no way to tell right now whether or not lamarque will be a div 1 or div 2 team in the district, the schools with higher enrollment could suck and make lamarque d1, will have to wait and see how that plays out...

just a fun fact - **of the 32 3A districts that exist right now, 20 of them have at least 2 teams with higher enrollment numbers than what lamarque submitted, so the mathematical chances of them being division 2 are greater than them being division 1**

If La Marque were to be placed in a district with El Campo or West Columbia the Cougars would be a D2 team. Stephenville on the other hand would be a D1. No possibility of a rematch. There is a chance that La Marque could opt up due to travel and financial expenses. Any chance Stephenville would opt up if the number is above 1,000?

LionFan72
10-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Disagree for several reasons. Last year there were two state champions from one district in 3A. The first year of four to the playoffs in big school, a 4th place team played for the state championship. There are some districts with 7 teams and 4 that might win other districts. Those youngsters deserve a chance to play, just because they are in a powerful district they will beat teams from districts that are not so accomplished. It is not a bad system and it doesn't leave anyone out. The playoff is generally fair. There are some things the UIL could do to make it better and perhaps they will, but one school out of a district is not enough in my humble opinion.
Respect your opinion as much as mine, but I say you have to earn that right to play, be better than the best in your district! One should not be rewarded for half the effort. I also realize that some good teams are playing basketball come playoffs, but that is the nature of the beast, the only winners in current scheme of things is UIL.

jason
10-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Any chance Stephenville would opt up if the number is above 1,000?for the sake of non-football sports, unless there are major travel issues, i don't see how or why they would opt up...

hollywood
10-14-2011, 10:31 AM
I agree with Jason. If Stephenville falls into 3A, it will benefit the entire athletic program and not just football. Competing with schools that are almost 5A numbers when your are almost 3A numbers is tough enough in football... just think what it's like in basketball, baseball, track, and vollyball?

Ask Brownwood when they were barely 4A, they were in Waco's district with Waco High and Coppres Cove a few years back and both went to the state championship game in 2006 and Copperas Cove did again in 2007. Brownwood happened to catch them when they were at the top of their game. Waco High will be tough for Stephenville to get by this year. Their OL and DL both average well over 300 lbs! You don't see that in 3A. lol

Emerson1
10-14-2011, 10:46 AM
for the sake of non-football sports, unless there are major travel issues, i don't see how or why they would opt up...

and they already have 2 hours bus rides to Waco and places like Mesquite and Lewisville.

waterboy
10-14-2011, 11:39 AM
The third place team from District 16-3A (District of Doom) won the 3A Division 1 title last year. That would be Henderson.

Emerson1
10-14-2011, 11:49 AM
The third place team from District 16-3A (District of Doom) won the 3A Division 1 title last year. That would be Henderson.
ooo burn

Saggy Aggie
10-14-2011, 12:03 PM

just a fun fact - **of the 32 3A districts that exist right now, 20 of them have at least 2 teams with higher enrollment numbers than what lamarque submitted, so the mathematical chances of them being division 2 are greater than them being division 1** technically there is no way to be sure, but it's likely they'll be in a district with WC and WC is just about guaranteed to make the playoffs (not to mention the possibility of el campo) and both of those schools have a bigger enrollment than LM. So it is LIKELY that LM will be d2.

bigwood33
10-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Alright, I'll bite, tell me what 3rd place team has won a state championship. I am not aware of any. What fun is it to your tails smeared in the dirt for an "extra" week of practice? What does that 3rd playoff team cost the school district in travel, stadium cost, meals? Sorry, but I'm from the old school, a district championship meant something, one team should be advancing.Most district champs don't win state championships either...or make the semi finals...or the qtr finals for that matter. Two season ago, the 2A district with Pilot Point, Aubrey, and Callisburg was pretty solid. Callisburg finished 3rd in district but advanced to the Semi finals, Aubrey the the Qtr Finals, and Pilot Point won the Division 1 Championship. All 3 of those teams represented themselves, their schools, and their district well. It would have been a shame for any of them to get left behind. Just last year, District 16, 3A had 2 Champions (Carthage and Henderson) and Gilmer lost in the 3rd round to a very salty Argyle team.
Let me ask YOU a question. Were you upset a few years back when the Lions got in as the 3rd place team and then went all the way to the Qtr Finals, losing to Waco High (who lost in the Championship game) or were you one of the cow bell ringing Brownwood fans that I saw at Floyd Casey stadium that cool December day?

Old Tiger
10-14-2011, 12:27 PM
If I remember correctly Midland Greenwood got their third place district finish on a tie for 3rd/4th.

BwdLion73
10-14-2011, 12:52 PM
:tisk:
Most district champs don't win state championships either...or make the semi finals...or the qtr finals for that matter. Two season ago, the 2A district with Pilot Point, Aubrey, and Callisburg was pretty solid. Callisburg finished 3rd in district but advanced to the Semi finals, Aubrey the the Qtr Finals, and Pilot Point won the Division 1 Championship. All 3 of those teams represented themselves, their schools, and their district well. It would have been a shame for any of them to get left behind. Just last year, District 16, 3A had 2 Champions (Carthage and Henderson) and Gilmer lost in the 3rd round to a very salty Argyle team.
Let me ask YOU a question. Were you upset a few years back when the Lions got in as the 3rd place team and then went all the way to the Qtr Finals, losing to Waco High (who lost in the Championship game) or were you one of the cow bell ringing Brownwood fans that I saw at Floyd Casey stadium that cool December day?

...Well thats different...It was Brownwood!

:D:devil::D

bigwood33
10-14-2011, 01:00 PM
:tisk:

...Well thats different...It was Brownwood!

:D:devil::D
That's what I thought :cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:
My wife is BHS Class of '82 so we are big Lions fans...I understand

Sville
10-14-2011, 01:16 PM
tell me what 3rd place team has won a state championship. I am not aware of any.

North Crowley in 2003 won D2 4A SC as the 4th place team out of 8-4A. They had some injury issues and got healthy midway through district and went on a roll.

Why does it matter how many teams enter the playoffs? You are still going to have to beat the best to win your last game. You earn it.

bigwood33
10-14-2011, 01:23 PM
Why does it matter how many teams enter the playoffs? You are still going to have to beat the best to win your last game. You earn it.

Well said.

Emerson1
10-14-2011, 01:35 PM
North Crowley in 2003 won D2 4A SC as the 4th place team out of 8-4A. They had some injury issues and got healthy midway through district and went on a roll.

It's just old farts that hate change.

BwdLion73
10-14-2011, 02:07 PM

Has to be that way. I was upset when I first heard that 8 tracks were being phased out. Just check on your little 4G I phonie thing in a year or so. :) Young-uns think they know it all just like we did. :wave:

Bullaholic
10-14-2011, 02:21 PM

If it wasn't for us old farts, you young bucks would not be around to make "changes"...:D

95mustang
10-14-2011, 02:29 PM
If it wasn't for us old farts, you young bucks would not be around to make "changes"...:D

:spitlol: :clap::clap::clap:

UPanIN
10-14-2011, 03:26 PM
If they raise the cutoff high enough for us to get in then, I think they should add the 4th team from each district to the playoffs IMO.

Let's just let them all in, that'll give everyone a shot and increase the $$$$.

Emerson1
10-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Let's just let them all in, that'll give everyone a shot and increase the $$$$.
According to the other guy it would cost teams money.

The anti-expanders need to unite on a reason on why they hate the idea of a 4th team and not be on two completely opposite ends of the spectrum.