PDA

View Full Version : More Refugio

NastySlot
10-13-2011, 06:25 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/lorne_chan/article/Refugio-s-big-wins-are-a-no-win-situation-2216124.php

OldNavy
10-13-2011, 08:03 AM
Instead of complaining about Refugio's success, the other coaches should raise the level of their teams to meet the Refugio challange. I am simply not convinced that Refugio has the market cornered on talent. I remember in 1966 going to the state track meet and watching a little Refugio guy run the 2nd best half mile I had ever seen. He was beaten by a 1:49 and a state record (may have been the best HS time in the nation that year, my memory is fuzzy). The Refugio runner was 5 or 6 seconds ahead of the rest of the field. Was not a great athletice looking youngster, maybe 5'5" and 140 lbs, but he was exceedingly well conditioned.

I have never seen Refugio play football. But my guess is they are well coached and well conditioned. They have a long tradition of success and I don't believe that happens just because they have an unusual gene pool.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-13-2011, 08:10 AM
Respect Refugio (http://www.kristv.com/videoplayer/?video_id=17500&categories=69)

mustanglonghorn
10-13-2011, 08:23 AM
Coach Herring is a stand-up guy. In the words of a south texas legend....."If you don't like your lot in life, work harder".....don't bash a coach because he has good players or because he is doing what he thinks is in the best interest of his team to help them accomplish the ultimate goal in Texas High School Football.

hollywood
10-13-2011, 08:52 AM
Good gosh. Why is it only in football that a team has to stop scoring if the game is lop sided??? If they don't, some coach gets his feelings hurt. Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, Golf, Vollyball, Hockey... heck you name it, score as often as you can. The GOAL is to outscore the opponent.

Sounds like Coach Herring is teaching his team to play hard and preparing his team to be the best it can be. Isn't that his job?

Phil C
10-13-2011, 09:57 AM
I'm a Freer ex and I can't blame them (Refugio) for leaving the starters in through the first three quarters. Where I would have a problem would be if they were in the fourth quarter which wasn't the case with them. I have seen too many good teams in one sided games take out their starters after a big lead many times in the first half. This resulted in rust when they played tight games and hurt them. So I can understand their position. One has to remember that after three quarters that the starters may have the other team beat up so they are tired when the second and third stringers are in the game and these players work hard and want to play good when they get the chance. Freer needs to work hard and get to the level they were back in my high school days.

SintonFan
10-13-2011, 12:39 PM
If you don't want to get your feewings hurt, then maybe football is not for you. :rolleyes:

SHSBulldog00
10-13-2011, 12:45 PM
Hearing rumors that Refugio may drop to 1A.....

Saggy Aggie
10-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Hearing rumors that Refugio may drop to 1A.....wow.

Phil C
10-13-2011, 01:39 PM
If you don't want to get your feewings hurt, then maybe football is not for you. :rolleyes:

It would make more sense if it was Woodsborro.

SHSBulldog00
10-13-2011, 02:38 PM

Refugio 205

Johnny Utah
10-13-2011, 03:46 PM
I for one, would not judge the Refugio Coaches/Players, until you have walked in their shoes. JMO

Old Tiger
10-13-2011, 03:52 PM
http://quori.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/crying01_dawson.jpg

raider red 2000
10-13-2011, 03:54 PM
the 1st one made me laugh

http://www.caller.com/news/2011/oct/12/young-herring-refugio-miscast-as-the-bad-guys/

http://www.caller.com/news/2011/oct/12/refugios-herring-says-his-team-not-out-to-anyone/

AP Panther Fan
10-13-2011, 04:02 PM
I was just about to post a link to the second article above. I thought it was pretty good.

Certainly a lot of passionate (and some stupid) CT comments.

sinfan75
10-13-2011, 07:43 PM
Maybe the UIL will wake there butts up and place Refugio in a more competitive district next realignment. Way too good of an atheletic program for the southern reaches of region IV. Keep Kickin Ass Bobcats!!

Blastoderm55
10-13-2011, 07:56 PM
An article ran in the Victoria Advocate as well. Good grief, was it really necessary for a coach to defend his program to three separate newspapers? I imagine people would complain even more if he did the three kneels and punt business that he was subject to earlier in his career.

Eagle 1
10-13-2011, 09:28 PM

I hope they do.

SHSBulldog00
10-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Maybe the UIL will wake there butts up and place Refugio in a more competitive district next realignment. Way too good of an atheletic program for the southern reaches of region IV. Keep Kickin Ass Bobcats!!

They could say for competition sake, place them in 30-3A as the possible replacement for Goliad. The enrollment may not fit but the team would definitely get an upgrade in competition.:stirpot:

sinfan75
10-13-2011, 10:04 PM
They could say for competition sake, place them in 30-3A as the possible replacement for Goliad. The enrollment may not fit but the team would definitely get an upgrade in competition.:stirpot: I'd love to see Sinton and Refugio play again. I thought it was stupid to end a big rivalry game
to begin with!

raider red 2000
10-13-2011, 10:17 PM
i think refugio asked, but schools couldnt work it out. I think we might be playing ingleside and edna non-district.