PDA

View Full Version : Apaches prove football teaches characterUpdated 11:48

apache78
10-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Go to www.gonzalescannon.com and the article is on the Popular today.

ExScoop
10-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Isn't Gonzales football team open this week?

ExScoop
10-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Hard to believe that Gonzales has two weekly newspapers for a town that size

The Inquirer has been around forever

Gontex
10-13-2011, 07:45 AM
Hard to believe that Gonzales has two weekly newspapers for a town that size

The Inquirer has been around forever

Inquirer is in fact bi-weekly. They do a Tuesday and Friday edition. Cannon comes out on Thursday each week. You can read nearly everything in the Cannon on line. I can't remember anything that was in the paper that wasn't in the on-line edition. Even tho I read it on line, I always buy a copy of it. Don't want them going out of business because of lack of support. I subscribe to the Inquirer. Reese family put out a daily paper with this thing forever. Both papers are better because the other paper is here. Both have increased their coverage area.

Gontex
10-13-2011, 07:47 AM
Isn't Gonzales football team open this week?

And yes, Apaches are open. They go to Pleasanton next week, LaVernia comes to Gonzales and then the trek to Cuero. One game at a time.

ExScoop
10-13-2011, 08:42 AM
Wharton has one paper- The Journal-Spectator which comes out Wed and Sat

They couldn't afford a full time sports person-That's why I got laid off in 2009 after paper was bought out from Hartman Newspapers in Rosenberg-I was at the Journal-Spectator for 25 years 1985-2009-I became the sports editor there in 1989.

The published does all the news and sports-Their coverage is terrible and they only staff football games with stringers. They don't cover any other sports much

Even other smaller towns than Wharton that have papers have sports editors or sports reporters

Went to the Bay City Tribune in 2009 and was laid off in February

Now I work part time for the El Campo Leader News and cover Louise football and volleyball

Rule #76
10-13-2011, 12:23 PM
The funny thing about this article is that Gonzales is one of the dirtiest teams I saw last year. Not saying Sam Houston isn't because they are. I watched the Gonzales/Sam game last year and watched a linebacker dive at the offensive tackles knees as the Hurricanes where kneeling the ball at the end of the game. Basically he was mad they were gonna lose and tried to take out a lineman. Can't say he was going after the ball or he would've at least dove at the center or guards. Just telling it like I see it!!!

apache78
10-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Yep, we had a few knuckle heads that could talk just as much smack as SH, but ours couldn't back it up. The other young un's finally grew up. Nothing better that letting your hitting do the talking and just walking back to the huddle. I always noticed it just really messed with the talkers head when no one else will join in.

Lombardi
10-13-2011, 12:45 PM
Then you didn't see all of Gonzales's games in 2010. You are talking about one play during the course of one game and calling a team dirty. Hope you get a chance to watch this year's game. Sam took at least a dozen shots on Gonzales after the whistle had blown.. Their center had 5 by himself.. Maybe he was just getting mad because they were getting physically abused. Just telling it like I see it!!!
The funny thing about this article is that Gonzales is one of the dirtiest teams I saw last year. Not saying Sam Houston isn't because they are. I watched the Gonzales/Sam game last year and watched a linebacker dive at the offensive tackles knees as the Hurricanes where kneeling the ball at the end of the game. Basically he was mad they were gonna lose and tried to take out a lineman. Can't say he was going after the ball or he would've at least dove at the center or guards. Just telling it like I see it!!!