PDA

View Full Version : How good is Celina?

DeuceDeuce
10-11-2011, 09:58 AM
I haven't seen them play, are they deserving of their ranking? Not trying to bash anyone, just wanting to get an opinion of those that have seen them play. Thanks

Send_the_House
10-11-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm not overly impressed. Haven't seen the improvement throughout the year I would have expected... But, I'm just some random person on the internet, so who cares what I think?

BILLYFRED0000
10-11-2011, 10:45 AM
I'm not overly impressed. Haven't seen the improvement throughout the year I would have expected... But, I'm just some random person on the internet, so who cares what I think?

I am not sure yet. Injuries have slowed them down some. But there are some special things starting to happen on the offensive side of the ball. I believe that overall the d is better than last years. I think that VA has a stud running back that can read that play better than anybody I have seen lately. So hard to judge yet. But our team speed is sure up to snuff this year. Overall I would say maybe so. Massey has us at number 7 in 3a.

OldNavy
10-11-2011, 11:51 AM
I've only seen one game this year and a few practices. I liked what I saw. They seem to be solid in every phase of the game and they have some game breakers. They also have the ability to improve. If they can get some players healthy they will be very strong IMHO.

orange machine
10-11-2011, 12:18 PM
I am not sure yet. Injuries have slowed them down some. But there are some special things starting to happen on the offensive side of the ball. I believe that overall the d is better than last years. I think that VA has a stud running back that can read that play better than anybody I have seen lately. So hard to judge yet. But our team speed is sure up to snuff this year. Overall I would say maybe so. Massey has us at number 7 in 3a.
I agree injuries have slowed them down some, losing Vargas on defense espacially. As far as the defense being better than last years I would have to disagree. The defense had a hard time stopping the Pilot Point and Lake Worth QB's when they ran the ball giving up tons of yards. Last week Barns the Van Alstyne Runningback ran on the defense at will and carved them up. Ive seen a ton of missed tackles this year.

On offense I think Celina is better this year Jamark is running like a wild man and the other runningbacks are chipping in giving Celina an extra punch in the backfield with Jamark. The oline is bigger and stronger and seems to be be getting better each week.

If Celina gets the defense figured out weather its moving players around to other positions or starting someone else then this team will hard to beat.

Old&Crusty
10-11-2011, 02:07 PM
They are a legit top 15 team. Without seeing the other contenders, can't say how they stack up to this season's best.

sandbagger
10-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Celina is about like they have been for the last 3 or 4 years. They can win until they play some of the elite teams. Next year should be better for celina, but we hear that alot around here.

orange machine
10-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Im not saying Celina wont be in the hunt for a title this year, but what I am saying is that the defense is giving up way to many rushing yards and having a hard time tackling at this point. The offense is pretty dang good and will present a problem for anybody. I truly think Celina could win a title this year they just need to work on some things on the defensive side.

sandbagger
10-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Celina is lucky to be D1 ,that gives them a chance to make rd3. If D2 it would be over rd1 or 2.

gatordaze
10-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Im not saying Celina wont be in the hunt for a title this year, but what I am saying is that the defense is giving up way to many rushing yards and having a hard time tackling at this point. The offense is pretty dang good and will present a problem for anybody. I truly think Celina could win a title this year they just need to work on some things on the defensive side.

Celina D us almost exactly where they were last year through this past week. Celina got toasted by VA because of poor technique against the trap. That can be fixed if the kids will listen to their coaches and adjust. There is no physical reason that Celina's D will not be as good or better than last season. It was not the D that has knocked them out of the playoffs the past two seasons it has been a lack of offensive execution when it counts. Celina is a dangerous team that has the potential to win it all if the are coachable.

bobcat1
10-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Celina is about like they have been for the last 3 or 4 years. They can win until they play some of the elite teams. Next year should be better for celina, but we hear that alot around here.So uninformed. Let's see 2006 15-1 State runner up, 2007 16-0, 2008 State runner up. So maybe you mean the last 1-2 years, but hey keep hating okay?:rolleyes:

Time will tell as to how good they are with a freshman QB. This Cat is gonna be awesome starting 4 years. Celina should be salty for the next 4 years including this year. Again Time will tell the tale. Wek by Week, Play by Play.

regaleagle
10-11-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm not hating, but I know better. I will have to agree with Sandbagger that Celina would have a tougher time of it in the playoffs if they were D-II in this Region 2. The path to Region Champs is also one game less in D-I. This makes it easier to progress thru the playoffs with less opponents to face. But since you are in D-I, this year you still will have a few quality teams to get out of the Region in Sanger, Paris(North won't make it), Lindale, and Henderson. Of course, a couple of these teams may be eliminated by others for you, if you are still playing. Same with everybody else in every division. In conclusion, Celina has a good a chance to win in their Division this year as any of the other teams, but also can be beat and it will not be an upset.

DaHop72
10-11-2011, 07:35 PM
So uninformed. Let's see 2006 15-1 State runner up, 2007 16-0, 2008 State runner up. So maybe you mean the last 1-2 years, but hey keep hating okay?:rolleyes:

Time will tell as to how good they are with a freshman QB. This Cat is gonna be awesome starting 4 years. Celina should be salty for the next 4 years including this year. Again Time will tell the tale. Wek by Week, Play by Play.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

bobcat1
10-11-2011, 07:46 PM
I'm not hating, but I know better. I will have to agree with Sandbagger that Celina would have a tougher time of it in the playoffs if they were D-II in this Region 2. The path to Region Champs is also one game less in D-I. This makes it easier to progress thru the playoffs with less opponents to face. But since you are in D-I, this year you still will have a few quality teams to get out of the Region in Sanger, Paris(North won't make it), Lindale, and Henderson. Of course, a couple of these teams may be eliminated by others for you, if you are still playing. Same with everybody else in every division. In conclusion, Celina has a good a chance to win in their Division this year as any of the other teams, but also can be beat and it will not be an upset. Good points and yes anyone can be beat.

garciap77
10-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Good enough to win their 9th (8 1/2) state title! Heck, something like that, according to ROCKET they only have 7 1/2, so 8 1/2 is still good! Or how about good enough to have 1 more (1/2 more) state titles than BW! :D

:wave:Celina High School's mascot is the Bobcat and the high school is best known for its dominating football program – it has eight state championships, more than any other 11-man program in Texas (2007, 2005, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1995, and 1974). The 1974 title was in Class B (now Class A) and was a co-championship with Big Sandy High School (one of the all-time dominant teams) while the 2007 title was in Class AAA; the other six titles were in Class AA.:wave:

:1popcorn:

garciap77
10-11-2011, 08:34 PM
I'm not hating, but I know better. I will have to agree with Sandbagger that Celina would have a tougher time of it in the playoffs if they were D-II in this Region 2. The path to Region Champs is also one game less in D-I. This makes it easier to progress thru the playoffs with less opponents to face. But since you are in D-I, this year you still will have a few quality teams to get out of the Region in Sanger, Paris(North won't make it), Lindale, and Henderson. Of course, a couple of these teams may be eliminated by others for you, if you are still playing. Same with everybody else in every division. In conclusion, Celina has a good a chance to win in their Division this year as any of the other teams, but also can be beat and it will not be an upset.

Hey! What happened to your font?:D

garciap77
10-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Celina by 79!!! Wait! Who are they playing!!!!:D

BobcatBennie
10-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Celina by 79!!! Wait! Who are they playing!!!!:D
Agreed! :iagree:

Farmersfan
10-12-2011, 08:36 AM
All I can go by is a comparison of how the Farmers did against the VA team. The VA running back also slashed the Farmer's D pretty much at will and the VA offense put up 70 points and 600 total yards against our weak defense. But the Farmer's offense had their way with the weak VA defense also by scoring 55 points and gaining over 450 yards. It was a game of ZERO defense pretty much. I expected the Celina team to manhandle VA pretty easily since that offense was pretty much one dimensional. I also expected Celina to put up 70+ points on the VA defense...............

orange machine
10-12-2011, 08:51 AM
All I can go by is a comparison of how the Farmers did against the VA team. The VA running back also slashed the Farmer's D pretty much at will and the VA offense put up 70 points and 600 total yards against our weak defense. But the Farmer's offense had their way with the weak VA defense also by scoring 55 points and gaining over 450 yards. It was a game of ZERO defense pretty much. I expected the Celina team to manhandle VA pretty easily since that offense was pretty much one dimensional. I also expected Celina to put up 70+ points on the VA defense...............

Celina could have put up 70 if they wanted to and Jamark could have rushed for about 600 yards if they would have kept him in the game, but obviously Celina has bigger fish to fry other than scoring more points. The defense does need work, but they will get better.

BobcatBennie
10-12-2011, 11:20 AM
Question: How good is Celina?

Answer: As good as a big old glass of orange Kool-Aid.

garciap77
10-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Can Snyder beat Celina?

BobcatBennie
10-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Can Snyder beat Celina?

Only Celina can beat Celina.

garciap77
10-12-2011, 04:12 PM

You mean Brownwood!:D

texas_wildcat
10-12-2011, 04:14 PM

Will yall go D1 or D2 for playoffs

WildTexan972
10-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Will yall go D1 or D2 for playoffs

they are D1 no matter what.....path will be Sanger then Lovejoy then Hendo/Lindale winner then Alvarado then Chapel Hill

3 and out
10-12-2011, 06:42 PM
they are D1 no matter what.....path will be Sanger then Lovejoy then Hendo/Lindale winner then Alvarado then Chapel Hill

If Lovejoy can get past Wilmer-Hutchins.

OldNavy
10-12-2011, 11:25 PM
If Lovejoy can get past Wilmer-Hutchins.

Is Wilmer-Hutchins the big school in that district. I have been unable to find their enrollment on the UIL web sit. Do you know?

regaleagle
10-13-2011, 12:24 AM
Yes, don't count out WH just yet. I believe there is terrific speed and athletes on that team. It's just like I thought it would be before the season got underway. There's tons of good football teams in each division this year in 3A. Nobody is immune, not Henderson, not Chapel Hill, not Alvarado, not Coldspring, not Wimbo, not Celina, not Argyle, not ,,,,,, you get my drift.

Leopard4Life
10-13-2011, 07:49 AM
Wilmer-Hutchins scouts were at the Lovejoy - Prosper game. I've seen playoff match-up predictions and right now Lovejoy - Wilmer Hutchins is the predicted 1st round matchup.

texas_wildcat
10-13-2011, 11:49 AM
there is no way they get past Alvarado.................... but then thry still have to get past Sanger

marler1972
10-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Lets not forget Lovejoy has to make the playoffs first if they dont Prosper will go Div I. I am not saying they wont but if and I say if Princeton and Farmersville beat them well boys they are out most likely.

buff4ever
10-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Not very.

OldNavy
10-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Lets not forget Lovejoy has to make the playoffs first if they dont Prosper will go Div I. I am not saying they wont but if and I say if Princeton and Farmersville beat them well boys they are out most likely.
Princeton is playing some pretty good ball, but if Farmersville (sorry farmersfan) beats Lovejoy, then Lovejoy is having some big problems that no one is talking about, and it certianly takes some of the luster off the Prosper win over Lovejoy. Which also means, Prosper might not be such a problem after all. Does that make any sense?

Leopard4Life
10-13-2011, 02:39 PM

Farmersville beating them is highly unlikely. Princeton is up in the air. It will probably be Prosper, Princeton and Lovejoy. Lovejoy has to beat Lonestar. Princeton already beat Lonestar. Lovejoy and Lonestar play on 10/21 @ Lonestar.

Celina better not be looking past Sanger...

orange machine
10-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Why do y'all think Celina is looking past Sanger? People act like Celina is no good, I said the defense is having a hard time stopping the run right now, but doesn't mean they won't get alot better between now and November 11th. The offense is a beast with really good runninbacks and a qb that can throw and run when needed. I think people are looking past Celina which is fine with me but a mistake.

BobcatBennie
10-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Only team that would really bother me is Daingerfield.

Not that the Big Orange Machine can't get beat, but the Bobcats have an absolute Daingerfield curse!

:ack!:

gatordaze
10-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Why do y'all think Celina is looking past Sanger? People act like Celina is no good, I said the defense is having a hard time stopping the run right now, but doesn't mean they won't get alot better between now and November 11th. The offense is a beast with really good runninbacks and a qb that can throw and run when needed. I think people are looking past Celina which is fine with me but a mistake.

Statically, Celina's D allowed 375 less total yards this season as compared to last year through the Paris game. Celina's D is not what has bounced them from the playoffs the past two seasons.

Admittedly they gave up huge rushing yardage against Lake Worth and Van Alstyne. Rushing yardage given up against Lake Worth was mostly in the second half after the game was out of hand. In fact they only gave up 30 yards rushing in the first half. One major factor was the absence of Vargas at SAM as he is recovering from injury.

Not to take anything way from a fine Van Alstyne offense, but Celina was again without Vargas who would have been the linebacker that would have been responsible for filling the hole on the trap. Additionally, the MLB Josh Raulerson injured his shoulder in the first quarter and could not raise his arm enough to wrap up and had to rely on a big hit and one arm to tackle. VA did an awesome job trapping Jake Raulerson at DE and using his aggressiveness against him. I expect Jake to move back to nose as he is much more disruptive in the middle.

This week they will be without Vargas and Josh Raulerson so it may not get a whole lot better if Anna has similar running talent to VA. I expect all to be back by Commerce and into the playoffs. Last year the D really was the strength at the end of the year and it should be the same this year. I really think this team plays up or down to their competition and will be just fine.

They really need the bye week to heal up on D!

regaleagle
10-13-2011, 06:41 PM
It's not whether or not Celina is good or not, or even how good is Celina?? The issue is the depth of Region 2, for you guys and gals that don't seem to fathom this Region we are in. Anybody and everybody is capable of beating each other on a given nite. That's how really competitive this Region 2 is in both divisions this year.

WildTexan972
10-13-2011, 06:54 PM
there is no way they get past Alvarado.................... but then thry still have to get past Sanger

last year was the big Sanger scare....and we saw how that turned out....

Region 1 almost NEVER has one of those "no way they get by em" teams so it won't surprise anyone if that happens again....Wylie is sometimes about that good, but not much beyond that usually....I mean let's be real - Lubbock Cooper was a Region1 finalist last year - that is how mediocre that region is....

any nut thinkin Lovejoy won't make the playoffs needs medication.....W-H probably does have athletes, but no team from that set of teams in that district has really been very good in the playoffs for quite a while....

there....now you all are straightened out again...

regaleagle
10-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Hate to call you on the carpet there WildTexan, but your memory is short-lived. Dallas Madison only last year went several rounds deep. And as far as Alvardo is concerned, maybe you should take a trip to personally view them before you put your foot in your mouth. Just my observation and opinion, but I think others will agree with me on these 2 pts.

sandbagger
10-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Celina needs sanger and lovejoy to make the playoffs or it would be another early exit.

WildTexan972
10-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Hate to call you on the carpet there WildTexan, but your memory is short-lived. Dallas Madison only last year went several rounds deep. And as far as Alvardo is concerned, maybe you should take a trip to personally view them before you put your foot in your mouth. Just my observation and opinion, but I think others will agree with me on these 2 pts.

several rounds? and just who did they beat? Madison hazs been considered good a few times, but the results in the post-season proved them wrong...and I live west, so I have seen Alvarado...they were decent last year and are decent this year but they are the same Region1 stuff....good out west but not title quality...

next time know what you are sayin before you type....Madison...oh that is funny....they are not even top 40 in the state.....

garciap77
10-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Celina is going to win the SC this year!!! That's how good the are!!!

regaleagle
10-13-2011, 11:12 PM
Ok Wild Texan. You must know best. Excuse me for just pointing toward some possibilities. Let me bow down now to the Great Celina. Please forgive me for crossing the red zone on your vaunted team.

BILLYFRED0000
10-14-2011, 07:18 AM
Ok Wild Texan. You must know best. Excuse me for just pointing toward some possibilities. Let me bow down now to the Great Celina. Please forgive me for crossing the red zone on your vaunted team.
You guys sure are thin skinned. IT has nothing to do with how great Celina is...... It is more about the quality of football we see all the time..... go to the title game 8 times in 12 or 13 games and you see the best of the best and on a consistant basis. If you went following Alvarado oh wait you did not get there......

MoveInDad
10-14-2011, 12:16 PM

I have no idea what the time of possession was for each team, but it would have been heavily in VA's favor as Celina scored on long plays on first or second down numerous times. Also, more than a few drive extending penalties, including a roughing the punter, kept VA's O on the field when they otherwise would have been watching from the sidelines. This was also the sole reason for the failed onside kick attempt... to try give the D a break, after another 60 yd TD by Jamarick on first down.
The VA O-line was the best Celina has seen all year in my opinion and Celina was rotating its D-line from the second series... no excuses though, I was disappointed we couldn't contain #4 and #22 better considering they were the only VA players with rushing attempts.
I saw Josh was hurt, but didn't realize it was as severe as it now appears, and with Jesus out, that made a BIG difference in the containment of VA's running game.... the bye week can't come fast enough.
As its been pointed out, our QB was playing against 8th graders last year so he's on a steep learning curve and not physically as mature, but I've been really impressed with his play and you can see his improvement week to week, and the players are behind him 100%. Will it be enough by the time we meet Sanger, who are a better team than last year's, or somebody who manages to stuff our run game...we'll see, but he showed a lot of grit under those circumstances in the 16 pt comeback 34-33 win over Prestonwood.
With so many kids graduating from last years team, including (I think) every 'skilled' player other than Jamarick, there were/are quite a few Celina faithful that felt this was more of a rebuilding, as opposed to reloading year, but the kids always believed and I think the coaches might even be a little pleasantly surprised by this bunch thus far... how they handled Paris is a good example.
In the end we must remember its a game PLAYED by kids who are supposed to be out there having fun, and while its a helluva a lot more fun to win, at the end of each game, no matter the score, I hope ALL the kids can mange a smile and appreciate their time under the lights because whether you're a Snr at Celina, Chapel Hill or Anna, it'll all be over in a few weeks time.
Cheers, Go Bobcats!

MoveInDad
10-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Some stats from the VA game to substantiate time of possession claim above... as you can see VA had over TWICE as many running plays, both teams passed 11 times. I had know idea they had twice as many running plays until I looked, but certainly puts things a bit in perspective.

Celina Rushing Yds 24/437
VA Rushing Yds 75/468
Celina Avg Rush 18.21
Avg VA Rush 6.24

OldNavy
10-14-2011, 02:11 PM
Some stats from the VA game to substantiate time of possession claim above... as you can see VA had over TWICE as many running plays, both teams passed 11 times. I had know idea they had twice as many running plays until I looked, but certainly puts things a bit in perspective.

Celina Rushing Yds 24/437
VA Rushing Yds 75/468
Celina Avg Rush 18.21
Avg VA Rush 6.24

If your numbers are correct VA had over three times as many rushs as Celina.

BILLYFRED0000
10-14-2011, 02:49 PM

You should have seen the game. I did not clock it but I would guess the D played about 3 quarters of the game.

gatordaze
10-14-2011, 03:17 PM
You should have seen the game. I did not clock it but I would guess the D played about 3 quarters of the game.

Celina O only ran 35 plays. VA O had 86 plays

MoveInDad
10-14-2011, 04:02 PM
Well yes you're right, 75>3X24, I meant 200% more... sometimes I don't know which is the correct way to express.
My point was, that Jamarick should start running to about the 1 yd yard line and take a knee to give the D a bit more rest next game. ;0)

sandbagger
10-14-2011, 04:57 PM
Ok Wild Texan. You must know best. Excuse me for just pointing toward some possibilities. Let me bow down now to the Great Celina. Please forgive me for crossing the red zone on your vaunted team. You must excuse the celinabots, they have become very defensive with the recent failures and are having a hard time with becoming a non factor at playoff time. For some of them that though if they moved there there son would win a ring its hard to accept.

MoveInDad
10-14-2011, 05:24 PM
You must excuse the celinabots, they have become very defensive with the recent failures and are having a hard time with becoming a non factor at playoff time. For some of them that though if they moved there there son would win a ring its hard to accept.
Have you ever made a valid or substantiated comment to this forum, either before you were previously kicked off, or since your inexplicable return? Honestly, I don't recall a comment that reflected your support for any team... what is your purpose here?

garciap77
10-14-2011, 05:43 PM
You must excuse the celinabots, they have become very defensive with the recent failures and are having a hard time with becoming a non factor at playoff time. For some of them that though if they moved there there son would win a ring its hard to accept.

Nice medal!:D
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Smilies/lorent.jpg

sandbagger
10-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Have you ever made a valid or substantiated comment to this forum, either before you were previously kicked off, or since your inexplicable return? Honestly, I don't recall a comment that reflected your support for any team... what is your purpose here?

Dont remember gettin kick off. Dont be so defensive there always next year. LOL

bobcat4life
10-14-2011, 10:10 PM

What does it feel like to be a freaking idiot?

WildTexan972
10-14-2011, 11:02 PM
sandbagger high has sucked for decades....hence his whiney attitude....middle school girl syndrome.....

RPF2666
10-18-2011, 05:43 PM

Give me an I
Give me a D
Give me an I
Give me an O
Give me a T

What's that Spell?

Sandbagger!!!!

BobcatBennie
10-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Good enough that this thread should be on top.

Old&Crusty
10-19-2011, 05:30 PM

I appreciate your post. It's no fun playing king of the hill if no one is trying to knock you off.

IndianFan2012
10-19-2011, 05:31 PM

You forgot to end it at Alvarado :stirpot:

CHS_89
10-20-2011, 06:28 AM
You forgot to end it at Alvarado :stirpot:

Would like to see Alvarado later in the playoffs..there are a few games to play before that. Sanger is good again, Lovejoy will be good as well. The Bobcat "D" better step it up! Good luck all!!

Leopard4Life
10-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Would like to see Alvarado later in the playoffs..there are a few games to play before that. Sanger is good again, Lovejoy will be good as well. The Bobcat "D" better step it up! Good luck all!!

Lovejoy will be lucky to limp into the playoffs this year. We have TON of injuries, we have been hurt since pre-season and it isn't getting any better. After Friday's injury list it will interesting what kind of a team we can throw together on both sides of the balls. A majority of starters will be going both ways.

CHS_89
10-21-2011, 08:15 AM
Lovejoy will be lucky to limp into the playoffs this year. We have TON of injuries, we have been hurt since pre-season and it isn't getting any better. After Friday's injury list it will interesting what kind of a team we can throw together on both sides of the balls. A majority of starters will be going both ways.

Keep your head up...The playoffs = new season and new attitude...Anything can happen. Lovejoy is a good team and the coach will have them ready to play regardless.
Good luck!

Leopard4Life
10-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Keep your head up...The playoffs = new season and new attitude...Anything can happen. Lovejoy is a good team and the coach will have them ready to play regardless.
Good luck!

Lovejoy finally pulled the trigger and brought some JV players up. They handled Lone Star pretty easily. The backup QB did a great job. Next week is Princenton at home to see who gets 2nd place in 11-3A.